Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

blugu64 posted:

It's honestly alot better then texting at the wheel. Keep in mind that these guys live and breath morse and that with a nice iambic key; it does alot of the work for you. Not that it's the smartest idea, or even a good idea; but it's easier then texting, and you don't have to take your eyes off the road to do it.

I suppose from a biopsychological point of view that makes sense. So much CW is broken up into extremely rhythmic abbreviations, making the short-term thought chunking process more streamlined than with text, you don't have to look at anything, and you only need to tap one button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippy
Mar 13, 2005
LA CERVEZA MAS FINA
welp, chaulk up another G5 Grundug for this thread at the standard price, radio habana was coming in fine on saturday night, but i don't think they have sunday programming? RCI sounds good on multiple frequencies, and i got Bulgaria, netherlands deutsch-welle, and a couple others earlier tonight around 22:00UTC

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Slippy posted:

welp, chaulk up another G5 Grundug for this thread at the standard price, radio habana was coming in fine on saturday night, but i don't think they have sunday programming? RCI sounds good on multiple frequencies, and i got Bulgaria, netherlands deutsch-welle, and a couple others earlier tonight around 22:00UTC

Added, and congrats.

Yesterday I was at the Arizona Science Center and noticed (as I was approaching from the parking lot) a bunch of SW transmitters on the roof of the building. As I went through the exhibits, I was constantly wondering what was up and was thinking of asking a docent when I suddenly found the answer.

They had a constantly manned Ham transmitting station, where docents with licenses did full demonstrations in how to operate and send CW, teach about equipment, tell how to fill out reception reports, etc. They even give classes to help people get their licenses. They also had a wall full of QSL card displays. It was pretty loving :iamafag:.

I'm starting to seriously consider quitting the voyeuristic SWL game and getting a ham license.

gcroix
Mar 17, 2006
Okay, I've seen this thread for months, finally decided to read it all since I've been a (somewhat) SW radio enthusiast for ages. It still amazes me (and I guess y'all out there too, hence the thread length) that I can pick up radio from so far away, be it AM or SW. Anyway, one question, one comment.

Comment...I did 20 years in the US Navy, and whenever I was going on a cruise that would take me overseas, I would always take my little Sony SW radio (ICF-SW10) with me to see what I could pick up. Two broadcasts I remember (both in 1991) vividly. The first was when I was in the Persian Gulf riding a small ferry boat from my ship, the USS Nimitz, to shore. I was able to pick up a broadcast from Australia, not sure was station. The other was when the ship was in the Indian Ocean (on the way back to the US). I picked up from Africa the 'Voice of Russia,' it was broadcasting music that sounded a lot like country-western.

Question...my Sony ICF-SW10 has no antenna jack. I understand I can alligator clip antenna/stereo wire/wire to the antenna attached to the radio for better reception. What size/gauge wire?

My other SW radio is a Sony ICF-J40. It is interesting to me, because it has only a headphone jack and a place to attach an antenna (not a jack, just a spot to hook up a wire); that's all. No external power connection. Makes me wonder if Sony meant the radio to be distributed worldwide, so didn't allow for external power.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

AstroZamboni posted:

I'm starting to seriously consider quitting the voyeuristic SWL game and getting a ham license.

It's well worth the price of admission.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

gcroix posted:

Question...my Sony ICF-SW10 has no antenna jack. I understand I can alligator clip antenna/stereo wire/wire to the antenna attached to the radio for better reception. What size/gauge wire?

Size/guage doesn't matter as much as length. Any cheap speaker wire (about 60 feet will do) with a couple of inches of insulation stripped off of the end for connection.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

For those interested, WNYC's program "On the Media" ran a segment this week about border blasters. Available here for streamed listening or downloading.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

For those interested, WNYC's program "On the Media" ran a segment this week about border blasters. Available here for streamed listening or downloading.

Very cool! I'm adding that link to the OP.

Edit: Added a bunch more on regular pirate radio while I was at it.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 19, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Okay, here's a weird one for everybody. Somewhat off topic, but oh freakin' well.

I'm going to be flying to my dad's place a couple of states away for the holidays. He lives WAAAAAYYYY out on the outskirts of a suburb of buttfuck nowhere in rural Colorado. I plan on taking my E5 with me, but I've been advised to take anything expensive I may have as carryon because lost luggage is a much worse problem than it ever was before. The E5 was 150 bucks, so I'm not going to risk it getting lost. I haven't been on an airplane since May of 2001. As such, I'm not exactly used to the new draconian security measures on planes. Does anybody know what kind of problems I may encounter, carrying an electronic device with a shitload of buttons on a plane?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

AstroZamboni posted:

Does anybody know what kind of problems I may encounter, carrying an electronic device with a shitload of buttons on a plane?

Don't worry about it. I carry my little HammyTalky on airplanes all the time. 5 Watts of transmitter goodness, just keep it in your bag and you'll be fine. I don't get any questions about it, I just like bringing it with me as its small and I can chat with other hams while I'm on business trips in the evenings after work.

For reference it's pretty much this

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 20, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Cool. Good to know.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

I haven't been on an airplane since May of 2001. As such, I'm not exactly used to the new draconian security measures on planes. Does anybody know what kind of problems I may encounter, carrying an electronic device with a shitload of buttons on a plane?
Passport addresses this issue in a full-page sidebar on page 114 in the 2007 edition and p. 90 in the 2008 edition.

Basically, they sum up their advice to this: be grey :geno:. Their best tips, as far as I can tell (I haven't flown commercially since 2000 and charter since 2003, so take this as you will), are these:

Passport posted:

* Before entering the terminal, and certainly before entering the security area, preset the radio to a popular FM music station, then keep batteries inside the radio so you can demonstrate that it actually works. Don't mention world band or shortwave unless queried, as anything unfamiliar arouses suspicion.

* If asked what the radio is for, say it's for your own listening.... Don't volunteer information about alarm, snooze, or other timer facilities, as times can be components in bombs. :jihad: If you're asked about stations, cite something that's usually safe, like the BBC in London, and avoid potentially "flagged" stations like Radio Pakistan or Radio Havana Cuba.:commissar:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to set it to my local "Cool Jazz" station to be as entirely under the radar as possible.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to set it to my local "Cool Jazz" station to be as entirely under the radar as possible.

Man up and set it to the air traffic controller. I dare you. (bring some vaseline, it'll make the search alot uhh smoother)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Man up and set it to the air traffic controller. I dare you. (bring some vaseline, it'll make the search alot uhh smoother)

I'll stick some razor blades up there to give them a special surprise.

Or we can see how much damage a RapeX condom does to a hand.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Quick question - is it common for ham operators to just send out their signal in CW on loop? I ask 'cause I've stumbled onto a signal at 7059k sideband broadcasting this in CW:

-.../...-/..---/.-/.--.

which if I'm not mistaken is BV2AP. This is then followed by a long tone that sounds like a dial tone, after which it repeats. It's done this for about half an hour now. I googled up BV2AP, and it's apparently the callsign of a ham here in Taipei, all of a couple of kilometers up the road from me, but it's a surprisingly lovely signal for someone so close, hence my wondering.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

That could be some sort of low-wattage beacon, but gently caress knows why he would be transmitting like that. Its bad form for hams to leave something like that mucking up a frequency for no good reason, and is all kinds of gently caress-all illegal here in the states. If he tried doing that here the FCC would be busting down his door.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thanks for the info. I guess it's just lucky for him that laws in Taiwan are generally just strong recommendations then.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TetsuoTW posted:

Quick question - is it common for ham operators to just send out their signal in CW on loop? I ask 'cause I've stumbled onto a signal at 7059k sideband broadcasting this in CW:

-.../...-/..---/.-/.--.

which if I'm not mistaken is BV2AP. This is then followed by a long tone that sounds like a dial tone, after which it repeats. It's done this for about half an hour now. I googled up BV2AP, and it's apparently the callsign of a ham here in Taipei, all of a couple of kilometers up the road from me, but it's a surprisingly lovely signal for someone so close, hence my wondering.

Sure it's not data? I think an obvious callsign every few minutes is a requirement here in the UK if you want to send data on ham freqs...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

-.../...-/..---/.-/.--.

What it could be is a propagation beacon. Hams will sometimes setup a beacon at their location so that other hams who know of it can find it and if they can hear it then they know they should be able to hear other transmitters in the general area. nmfree can probably explain this better then I as I'm still a newbie at HF Ham radio. I've been a 2 meter hero for too long.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

meltie posted:

Sure it's not data? I think an obvious callsign every few minutes is a requirement here in the UK if you want to send data on ham freqs...
I don't think it was data - the signal in between callsigns was only a couple of seconds long at most, and it sounded like a single tone, although that could be my speaker, my reception, or my ears not working right. Also the gap between repeats was far shorter than every few minutes.

blugu64 posted:

What it could be is a propagation beacon. Hams will sometimes setup a beacon at their location so that other hams who know of it can find it and if they can hear it then they know they should be able to hear other transmitters in the general area. nmfree can probably explain this better then I as I'm still a newbie at HF Ham radio. I've been a 2 meter hero for too long.
Hopefully nmfree can chime in, 'cause this sounds both promising and interesting. It was the only such signal I hit on last night, and it's the first time I've hit it, so it's obviously not a common thing. If I stumble on any others, here or in my occasional travels around the island, I'll see what they turn out to point to.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Last night I picked up a couple of beacons with a repeating pattern of CW with a tone, sounding similar to what you describe. Unfortunately, I don't know morse, so I can't tell you what it said.

I know some of the "desert transmitters" talked about on the last couple pages that I've picked up follow a similar format, which makes me think "illegal beacon to gently caress with people." The problem is, why would he advertise his registered callsign?

:wtf:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Built a new radio desk as MDF Wal-Mart poo poo furniture doesn't play well with 40 pound radios containing more steel than a Volkswagen.

Shack pix!

Roll call, left to right:

Icom PCR100 with 10.7 MHz IF out and discriminator out
Uniden 396
Icom PCR100 (stock)
Alliance U110 rotator (VHF/UHF) atop Kenwood AT-230 tuner - 440 preamp is peeking out to the left of the tuner
Icom 735 with intact plastic door (this is rare :P)
Icom 271A with an MFJ VHF/UHF cross needle meter on top, and my Icom 208H for the packet node/scanning
poo poo Compaq laptop off to the right that handles PSK31/packet/PCR100/programming duties

Desk cost me about $32. Lowe's and Home Depot will do a couple of cuts for free. Plan your desk intelligently - I only needed two 2x2' caps and three cuts in a single 4x8 sheet for this - and look for miscut lumber in the bargain bin. All the studs/legs/reinforcements for this ran $0.51 per, and they were all at least 4 feet (i had to cut them all).

I can jump up and down on any part of this without flexing or any nastiness. Love it.

Edit: You'd be perfectly right if you think that operating that old 271 is a complete pleasure to the eyes, ears and hands. I find myself getting caught up in simplex way too late at night.

Currently bidding on an Icom 471, if I can pull that poo poo off, I'll be one happy satellite op.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 23, 2007

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

Add another $101.00 for an E5 to the tally Zamboni!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Added, thanks for listening!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Hopefully nmfree can chime in, 'cause this sounds both promising and interesting. It was the only such signal I hit on last night, and it's the first time I've hit it, so it's obviously not a common thing. If I stumble on any others, here or in my occasional travels around the island, I'll see what they turn out to point to.
Doing just a little poking around on :google:, it's not technically illegal to operate a beacon on 40m, it just can't be automated in any way. It's still pretty rude, though, so I'm surprised that anyone would do that. I don't know the laws in your particular region, however, so :iiam:

Just as an aside, if anyone is interested in propagation beacons, check out https://www.propnet.org they operate a network of beacons that they use to check band openings and general propagation conditions. You don't even need to be a ham to participate, you only need to be able to receive to participate.

Paratus
Jul 1, 2004
So I was listening to my ETON E5 around 0800 to 0845 GMT or UMT or whatever the radio guidebook thing is based off of.

I think I may have been getting election result reports from Australia, though I can't be certain. There was much discussion of Prime Ministers and voting and early results.

I also picked up a California station playing ranchero music, and also something on one freq. that only lined up to a broadcast time for a Russian station, though it sounded like English and the book said it was broadcast in Russian or Other, I forget which. Good times, I'm going to see about getting some extra antenna wire this weekend, see what else I can pick up.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

So I'm listening to a rather... unusual music program on WBCQ (2300 UTC Saturday on 7415 kHz).

I go to their homepage, and on their station chronology page, there's this gem:

quote:

November 6, 2001: William Cooper, host of Hour of the Time on WBCQ, is killed in a shootout with police officers at his home in Eager, Arizona.

Reading a little more of his website, it's mostly :tinfoil:IRS:tinfoil:black helicopters:tinfoil:zionist conspiracy:tinfoil: stuff, but it reminds me why I continue to be a SWL after all these years: you're just not going to find this stuff on 97.2 FM.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

So I'm listening to a rather... unusual music program on WBCQ (2300 UTC Saturday on 7415 kHz).

I go to their homepage, and on their station chronology page, there's this gem:

Reading a little more of his website, it's mostly :tinfoil:IRS:tinfoil:black helicopters:tinfoil:zionist conspiracy:tinfoil: stuff, but it reminds me why I continue to be a SWL after all these years: you're just not going to find this stuff on 97.2 FM.

Holy poo poo, I used to spend lots of time in Eager. Creepy!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I got Coast to Coast AM on 3040 KHz, from Victoria, BC. 1:30 AM.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

nmfree posted:

Doing just a little poking around on :google:, it's not technically illegal to operate a beacon on 40m, it just can't be automated in any way. It's still pretty rude, though, so I'm surprised that anyone would do that. I don't know the laws in your particular region, however, so :iiam:
I've checked on the signal at odd times in the past few days, and I think it may be always on and automated, but it's very tightly locked to the frequency (move 1k up and it's barely there, 1k down and it's gone entirely), for whatever that's worth. Plus in Taiwan, like I said before, laws are less laws and more strongly worded suggestions as far as pretty much anything less serious than murder goes, so he's home and hosed on that.

quote:

Just as an aside, if anyone is interested in propagation beacons, check out https://www.propnet.org they operate a network of beacons that they use to check band openings and general propagation conditions. You don't even need to be a ham to participate, you only need to be able to receive to participate.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I've got some more time to kill.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Jonny 290 posted:

Looks like a sweet setup. We need more pics of peoples stations. Hooray for radio porn.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

I've checked on the signal at odd times in the past few days, and I think it may be always on and automated, but it's very tightly locked to the frequency (move 1k up and it's barely there, 1k down and it's gone entirely), for whatever that's worth.
Usually CW is operated at a bandwidth of 400Hz (or even less), so that's not surprising.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

porktree posted:

Looks like a sweet setup. We need more pics of peoples stations. Hooray for radio porn.

Agreed! More radio porn! I, for one, am getting a Yaesu FT-817 for Christmas. Low power radio (QRP) rocks! I'd link a pic of my station, but at the moment it consists of a messy desk.

Here's a link to the rig:
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft817.htm

IonClash fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 28, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

If I have access to a camera anytime soon I'll take a pic of my listening post, AKA my bed under my window with an E5 and a fuckload of slinkies hanging from the ceiling.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Saw this around, and I thought some might be interested: Tour of Redsun factory

Also, according to the Passport blog, there is a company selling rebranded Redsun radios at a significant discount. The problem is, :iiam: which radio it actually is, and Heartland America is tacking on a bunch of unnecessary charges, so watch out if you decide buy one, I guess.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I recorded this a few days ago. I have no idea what it is but take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lshDKkoKOZ0
Sorry for the poor audio quality I was having a hard time getting it in clearly. I am sure it's something mundane, but I would like to know!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Thought I'd pass on this info:

quote:

Radio St. Helena is celebrating its special DOUBLE ANNIVERSARY year 2007 with a very special Radio St. Helena Day 2007 world-wide shortwave broadcast.

The year 2007 marks a DOUBLE ANNIVERSARY for Radio St. Helena :
- - the 40 th anniversary of broadcasting for Radio St. Helena, and
- - the 10 th shortwave transmision anniversary.

code:
Saturday, 15. December 2007
----------------------------------------
From UTC To UTC Target area
-------- --------- -------------
1730     1815      New Zealand
1815     1900      India
1900     2015      Japan
2015     2145      Europe
2145     2245      North America East
2245     2330      North America West
2330     0015      South America North
0015     0100      South America Central/South
RSH will be transmitting on 11092.5 KHz in USB with 1000 Watts and using a 3-element monoband directional antenna.

There will be a VERY SPECIAL and beautiful full-colour QSL card issued by Radio St. Helena for this special DOUBLE ANNIVERSARY shortwave transmission.

The same procedures as in 2006 for reception reports, return postage, and QSLing will apply for this broadcast in 2007.

Watch our web page: https://www.sthelena.se/radioproject for more information.

With best greetings and wishes for good listening conditions,

Laura Lawrence Station Manager of Radio St. Helena
Robert Kipp Special Assistant to Laura Lawrence
Jamestown, St. Helena / Langen, Germany
08. October 2007

Only reception reports sent by regular mail will be accepted.
Email-reports will NOT be accepted.
Return postage is absolutely required and is "at least" three IRC's or "Greenstamps".

"At least" means that RSH welcomes donations at any time and in any amount.

Reception reports by regular mail only and including 5 USD or 5 Euros in banknotes are to be sent ONLY to the following address:

Radio St. Helena
P.O. Box 24
Jamestown
St. Helena Island
STHL 1ZZ
South Atlantic Ocean

Good DX to one and all !!
For anyone who will be around that Saturday afternoon (in the US) this might be something to try for. The distance coupled with the low power (and the crappy propagation) means that this will be a tough catch, especially for those of us who are away from the west coast of the US.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Capnbigboobies posted:

I recorded this a few days ago. I have no idea what it is but take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lshDKkoKOZ0
Sorry for the poor audio quality I was having a hard time getting it in clearly. I am sure it's something mundane, but I would like to know!

I couldn't determine any of what was being said except for a few numbers and a couple of phonetic alphabet letters, but it sounded like either a Ham QSL party (I picked one up a few days ago) or some sort of aeronautical transmission. If you could provide a bit more information about what was being said, I may be able to help. That video was hard to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

I couldn't determine any of what was being said except for a few numbers and a couple of phonetic alphabet letters, but it sounded like either a Ham QSL party (I picked one up a few days ago) or some sort of aeronautical transmission. If you could provide a bit more information about what was being said, I may be able to help. That video was hard to understand.

Ya really sorry about the poor quality. What was mostly said over and over was stuff like ALPHA, BRAVO blah blah. There was bad interference from some Asian station so it made it really hard to make out.

• Locked thread