Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Well some of us had to use the special "80s/90s era USA" reading order, which was "Read the books in whatever order you can get your hands on them, why the hell is Pratchett so hard to find in this drat country"

When they finally started mass-marketing Discworld in the US I was so happy that I didn't even mind the eye-scarringly bad cover art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sulevis posted:

I'm still holding out for a Susan/Lobsang/Death book. :colbert:

Which could happen, depending on how you read the last part of Thief of Time.

Was that perfect movement Lobsang surprise kissing Susan? It was already implied that Susan can't have a relationship with any one completely mortal so another humanized aspect would work out for her.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

BexGu posted:

Which could happen, depending on how you read the last part of Thief of Time.

Was that perfect movement Lobsang surprise kissing Susan? It was already implied that Susan can't have a relationship with any one completely mortal so another humanized aspect would work out for her.

That is exactly how I read it and thus I look forward to seeing how the relationship develops. I'm also curious what the offspring of Death and Time would be like (apart from somewhat of a logical contradiction).

Plus, Death is one of my favourite characters.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Sulevis posted:

I'm still holding out for a Susan/Lobsang/Death book. :colbert:

Oh yeah!

I really liked that he set that up and yet here we are, x years and number of books later and there's not even a mention of Lobsang in an artbook, nevermind a book proper.

The ending of Thief of Time is one of his strongest, ah reckons.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Oh man. According to the Wikipedia list of Discworld novels, Thief of Time was number 26. We're at number 36 now. It really doesn't look like Pratchett is going back to Death/Susan.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Sulevis posted:

Oh man. According to the Wikipedia list of Discworld novels, Thief of Time was number 26. We're at number 36 now. It really doesn't look like Pratchett is going back to Death/Susan.

I always thought that ToT was possibly going to be the last Susan book. Of course, I'd like another Death book too, which necessarily involves Susan and Lobsang, so that would be awesome, but if he chose to end her story I'd be happy he chose that book to do it with.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Sulevis posted:

If you don't count Eric (illustrated, and about half the size of most other Discworld novels so it always felt to me more like a novella than a proper novel), there was a 12-book gap in Rincewind novels from Sourcery (5) to Interesting Times (17). Even if you do count Eric (9), that's still a pretty decent gap to IT. So who knows?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Leospeare posted:

If you don't count Eric (illustrated, and about half the size of most other Discworld novels so it always felt to me more like a novella than a proper novel), there was a 12-book gap in Rincewind novels from Sourcery (5) to Interesting Times (17). Even if you do count Eric (9), that's still a pretty decent gap to IT. So who knows?

Similarly Last Hero (27), The Amazing Maurice (28), Monstrous Regiment (31) and the introduction of Tiffany Aching and Moist Von Lipwig happened in between Thief of Time and now. Only time will tell, indeed.

On the other hand, the next two books to be announced are Aching and Lipwig(1), so we won't be seeing Susan for a while yet anyway.

ninja edit: also he is apparently working on a non-Discworld book called Nation, according to that wiki page. Even longer to wait now!

(1)Discworld's OTP

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

dregan posted:

Similarly Last Hero (27), The Amazing Maurice (28), Monstrous Regiment (31) and the introduction of Tiffany Aching and Moist Von Lipwig happened in between Thief of Time and now. Only time will tell, indeed.

On the other hand, the next two books to be announced are Aching and Lipwig(1), so we won't be seeing Susan for a while yet anyway.

ninja edit: also he is apparently working on a non-Discworld book called Nation, according to that wiki page. Even longer to wait now!

(1)Discworld's OTP

Speaking of Nation, does anyone have any info on what it's about? Just by the name I'm guessing it's going to have a lot of stealth-philosophy in it.

EDIT: vvvv Hmmm, intriguing...

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 15, 2007

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Speaking of Nation, does anyone have any info on what it's about? Just by the name I'm guessing it's going to have a lot of stealth-philosophy in it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/books/meeting-mr-pratchett/2007/02/15/1171405371862.html?page=fullpage posted:

"You'll be the first to know," he says. "The next book was going to be that one; but there's a book I've been wanting to write for about four years.

"Is it Discworld?" he asks, anticipating the question, and answers: "Not necessarily. At the moment I'm just writing. If it needs to be Discworld it will be Discworld. It could be set in this world 150 years ago while still more or less being a fantasy. The codename for it is Nation."

So if it's set 150 years in the past, is Nation going to be in the same vein as Monstrous Regiment?

"You're fishing," he says firmly.

It's too early to talk about the nuts and bolts. But he does say Nation is going to be for kids, bought by adults.

"Monstrous Regiment wasn't for kids anyway," he adds.

No, I say. I was thinking in terms of going back in history. Nation, nationalism, this all makes me think of Jingo, I say.

"I'm pleased to say," he replies triumphantly, "that you're haring off along an entirely different direction. You're in the right desert but the wrong tent."

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
That "for kids" thing worries me again.

I haven't read any of the Aching books, are they any good? He doesn't necessarily write for adults, but his stuff can be pretty complex which is what I worry would be removed for a kids book.

So yeah, Aching books: are they as good as the rest?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished Interesting Times. As fun a discworld novel as I've read in a long time.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Loutre posted:

So yeah, Aching books: are they as good as the rest?

I've read the Wee Free Men and skimmed over Wintersmith, and what I saw was really rather more impressive than I thought it would be. It was quite witchy, mostly on account of her being taught by witches but you know what I mean. It's not nearly as sharp as his normal books but handwalks you a lot more comfortably though it.

Of course I'm a college student so what my opinion on a children's book counts for is, well it's not much is it?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nilbop posted:

I've read the Wee Free Men and skimmed over Wintersmith, and what I saw was really rather more impressive than I thought it would be. It was quite witchy, mostly on account of her being taught by witches but you know what I mean. It's not nearly as sharp as his normal books but handwalks you a lot more comfortably though it.

Of course I'm a college student so what my opinion on a children's book counts for is, well it's not much is it?

That's good to hear, my dad got me Wintersmith for Christmas and I've been a little iffy about reading it.

Also, firefox spellchecker recognizes 'iffy' as a word but not 'firefox' or 'spellchecker' :confused:

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Nilbop posted:

I wouldn't call it a children's book. It's most certainly solidly in the young adult category. I guess you could argue semantics on that, but there's a huge difference between Wee Free Men, a young adult book, and Where's My Cow, a children's book. The Tiffany books are full of stuff that would go soaring right over the heads of most kids, even 11-12 years olds. They were certainly meant to be entertaining to adults as well as teens.

Speaking of which, I loved the Where's My Cow reference in Wintersmith, with Rob trying to read it to the other Feegles

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I think I can say with some certainty that if you enjoy the normal 'adult' Discworld books you will enjoy the Tiffany Aching books as well. They have a different feel to them, but I think for the most part it works very well. The Nanny, Granny and the Feagles help to keep things grounded.

I was worried when I first read them that they were an attempt to cash in on the Potter fueled kids fantasy craze, thankfully Terry is a better writer than that.

I need to try reading 'Wheres my Cow' to my son tomorrow, we have a spare copy so he can eat mine.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

The Tiffany Aching books are also maturing in tone somewhat as Tiffany gets older. You really see that in Wintersmith especially.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Tiffany Aching books are some of my favorites that Pratchett has written and everyone who likes Discworld should read them. I hope that movie actually happens, it could be really awesome if it's done correctly.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
Chiming in to name as my favorites the Witches books, particularly the trilogy-of-sorts comprised of Wyrd Sisters/Witches Abroad/Lords and Ladies.

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB
I notice that nobody has mentioned Equal Rites yet in this thread. For me, it's always stood out from the rest of the Discworld novels. Why? Because it's not funny in the slightest! Not only have I never got a single laugh from that book, I can hardly find anything in it that's actually supposed to be a joke.

I've found all of the other novels funny to varying degrees, but not that one. It's like he either forgot to include any humour or was deliberately attempting to write a serious Discworld novel. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Did anyone see Cranford last night, the new costumey periodey adaptation on the BBC?

There's a woman in it who can only be described as Granny Weatherwax. Have a look next week if you haven't already.

Loutre, I haven't read the Aching books yet (I've only just finished Guards Guards), but in my experience Pratchett's writing for children barely differs from his writing for adults, and he certainly never, ever talks down to the kids reading. The Johnny series, starting with Only You Can Save Mankind, is a marvellous read, and Truckers is an old favourite of mine. It might be going a step too far to call Truckers a full-blown satire on religion, but it is fair to say that he doesn't appear to be holding back from that sort of thing just because he's writing for children. My <thing we don't mention in SA> tells me the Tiffany Aching books are actually some of her favourite recent Discworld books.

Someone mentioned the Tony Robinson audiobooks. I think he's the perfect choice to narrate the Discworld books, but the problem is that they're all so heavily edited that you lose a lot of the jokes and world details, and just get the story, and really I don't think that's why we read Discworld. Plus Tony sounds altogether too comfortable, sometimes almost slightly sleepy. I think the perfect televised Discworld would be something very like Tony Robinson's old "Blood and Honey" series: Tony Robinson, reading the books as unabridgedly as possible, acting out all the parts, and all while walking (and, age permitting, jumping) around in elaborate Discworld sets, as though filming "on location". After that all you'd need is a few costume changes for Tony, some tricksy camera work, and you've got the perfect TV Discworld.

Yammerhant
Jun 16, 2003
Another newbie

Buml0r posted:

Did anyone see Cranford last night, the new costumey periodey adaptation on the BBC?

There's a woman in it who can only be described as Granny Weatherwax. Have a look next week if you haven't already.
Do you mean Lady Ludlow (played by Francesca Annis)?

toliman
Aug 24, 2007
i have to say, having started with the first book and reading them in rough sequence "like you're supposed to" i guess, you do miss rincewind quite a lot when it's your first real antihero in the discworld saga, amongst so, so many others.

honestly, i have no real feeling for the aching series at all, and i can't recall wintersmith at all. somehow it got jumbled up with the summer and winter fairies of the dresden files, and i don't think i'd want to go back and read it again to clear that up. it's just so utterly disconnected to what id expect to be reading from pratchett, i keep waiting for someone to step in and break the whole thing up or integrate it somehow, make it fit in some fashion instead of a clunking great obtuse story skimming off discworld's literary gravity.

but, i re-read monstrous regiment after making money and it was still fantastic stuff. even death gets a mention.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Yammerhant posted:

Do you mean Lady Ludlow (played by Francesca Annis)?

I don't think I do, although I don't recognise that picture so now I don't know what to think. I mean the one who was apparent head of the busybody local women, and said things like "Well it is not the custom in Cranford." She eventually took her off stuff on't telly to her sister's funeral and decided to be friends with the bobby off of dirk gently. I'm not doing very well here.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Buml0r posted:

I can only imagine Granny W. as the Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies. Admittedly, it's more the attitude, and Granny W. is supposed to be semi-attractive, but that's how I see her.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
On the subject of audio books, Isis Publishing publish the unabridged recordings. They are mostly narrated by Nigel Planer, him who's in every British comedy movie or TV program ever apparently or Stephen Briggs, the guy who's name is on everything Discworld that isn't an actual novel.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

toliman posted:

honestly, i have no real feeling for the aching series at all, and i can't recall wintersmith at all. somehow it got jumbled up with the summer and winter fairies of the dresden files, and i don't think i'd want to go back and read it again to clear that up. it's just so utterly disconnected to what id expect to be reading from pratchett, i keep waiting for someone to step in and break the whole thing up or integrate it somehow, make it fit in some fashion instead of a clunking great obtuse story skimming off discworld's literary gravity.

I tried making sense of this and I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, how is the story of Wintersmith obtuse? And how can you say Wintersmith is disconnect from the rest of the series and then go on and praise Monstrous Regiment, one of the least connected books he's written in the last decade?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

toliman posted:

but, i re-read monstrous regiment after making money and it was still fantastic stuff. even death gets a mention.

Of course Death gets a mention - he's the only character to appear in every Discworld book.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Of course Death gets a mention - he's the only character to appear in every Discworld book.

I don't think he was in Wee Free Men. I can't find my copy to confirm this, but Wikipedia agrees with me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Enfenestrate posted:

I don't think he was in Wee Free Men. I can't find my copy to confirm this, but Wikipedia agrees with me.

That's cause the Feegle don't believe in Death :colbert:

But yeah, that's the only book.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's cause the Feegle don't believe in Death :colbert:

Also, from Wintersmith I get the impression that Death doesn't like them very much and they have been banned from the Underworld because they cause too much trouble and leave beer bottles all over the place

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Enfenestrate posted:

Wee Free Men is the only book he didn't appear in. Apparently when questioned about this Pratchett pointed out that somewhere over the course of the book someone died, and there you have it.

Also Monstrous Regiment was pretty well connected to the world in general since Vimes and Angua and Reg Shoe and William de Worde were in it :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Ferrinus posted:

Also Monstrous Regiment was pretty well connected to the world in general since Vimes and Angua and Reg Shoe and William de Worde were in it :colbert:

The main story and the main characters of Monstrous Regiment weren't related to anything going on in Discworld (and haven't showed up again since) while the Elves playing a major part in the story of Wee Free Men, along with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg showing up at the end. My point was that it's kind of ridiculous to criticize Wee Free Men for somehow being disconnected from the rest of the series and then praise Monstrous Regiment in the same sentence.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The main story and the main characters of Monstrous Regiment weren't related to anything going on in Discworld (and haven't showed up again since) while the Elves playing a major part in the story of Wee Free Men, along with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg showing up at the end. My point was that it's kind of ridiculous to criticize Wee Free Men for somehow being disconnected from the rest of the series and then praise Monstrous Regiment in the same sentence.

The elves were never a major part of Discworld overall and the Monstrous Regiment's cameo count is higher!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

And for bonus points, Vimes reads something in the newspaper (or maybe Drumknott tells Vetenari) about "the trouble with the Borogravia" in an earlier book. I don't know which book it was in though, but I'm fairly certain nothing similar foreshadows the appearance of the Nac Mac Feegle.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill
The Wee Free Men were in Carpe Jugulum as well as the Tiffany books. Carpe Jugulum predates Wee Free Men by 3-4 years.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Are Carpe Jugulum and Lords and Ladies nearly the same book, or am I hallucinating?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
No, they're really really similar and I don't know why/how he ended up doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I think it's because Nanny and Granny suffer a bit from Rincewind syndrome. Their characters can't really change, so they're a bit limited in their narrative conflicts. Granny Weatherwax is never going to see the error of her ways and decide to stop messing with people's heads. They've already made peace with themselves, the gods, and nature, so they're pretty much limited to Man vs. Man or Man vs. Society conflicts. They can either go out into the world and fight something, (Witches Abroad, Maskerade) or stay home and fight some external threat. (Lords and Ladies, Carpe Jugulum)

This doesn't mean I dislike the characters, just that a lot of storytelling paths are blocked by their nature.

Of course one of my favorite jokes is the scene in Maskerade with Nanny blending in with a crowd, standing around shouting, "Rhubarb, rhubarb!"