Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

terminal mehmet posted:

That would be some sexy flanking, if you know what I mean.

B: "Dude, they're asking - begging you to flank them!"
E: "Huh?"
B: "Flank 'em both! Flank 'em 'til they love you!"
V: "You're not helping, Belkar."
B: "Hey, flank you, elf."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

IMJack posted:

B: "Dude, they're asking - begging you to flank them!"
E: "Huh?"
B: "Flank 'em both! Flank 'em 'til they love you!"
V: "You're not helping, Belkar."
B: "Hey, flank you, elf."

This is pretty authentic Belkar-ness right here, and I can totally see him saying it. *golf clap*

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Eckertmania posted:

I'm looking at it right now and it doesn't say anything about only being able to use Sneak Attack only once per round. As long as the person is flat footed (or denied their DEX) and they aren't consealed in anyway or immune to Sneak Attack, you can do it to your heart's content.

Greater Invisibility, Displacement, Blink and a few others allow you to deny your opponent Dex bonus to AC. Since you attack as invisible, you get a +2 to hit, they get no Dex and all of your attacks can be sneak attacks. It's why my Thri-Kreen Rogue has a Ring of Blink. 4 Arms = 4 attacks with Multiweapon Fighting, which then become 8 when he gets another iterative attack. All with sneak attack damage.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vicissitude posted:

Greater Invisibility, Displacement, Blink and a few others allow you to deny your opponent Dex bonus to AC. Since you attack as invisible, you get a +2 to hit, they get no Dex and all of your attacks can be sneak attacks. It's why my Thri-Kreen Rogue has a Ring of Blink. 4 Arms = 4 attacks with Multiweapon Fighting, which then become 8 when he gets another iterative attack. All with sneak attack damage.

That sounds like a great build until you come up against a skeleton.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Eckertmania posted:

I'm looking at it right now and it doesn't say anything about only being able to use Sneak Attack only once per round. As long as the person is flat footed (or denied their DEX) and they aren't consealed in anyway or immune to Sneak Attack, you can do it to your heart's content.

This is correct, smart rogues are going to do ungodly amounts of damage.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

That sounds like a great build until you come up against a skeleton.

Potions of Grave Strike, my friend. Allows you to sneak attack undead.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
A rogue using an assload of sneak attacks isn't really all that overpowering when you consider the fact that a wizard of equal level can simply point at an opponent and kill them with one save or suck spell. Or kill dozens or more with those nasty level 9 aoe death spells. Or simply outright kill them with no saving throw allowed at all if they're under 100hp with a Power Word: Kill.

Compared to that, a rogue doing 8 sneak attacks in a round isn't terribly overpowering at all.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

A rogue using an assload of sneak attacks isn't really all that overpowering when you consider the fact that a wizard of equal level can simply point at an opponent and kill them with one save or suck spell. Or kill dozens or more with those nasty level 9 aoe death spells. Or simply outright kill them with no saving throw allowed at all if they're under 100hp with a Power Word: Kill.

Compared to that, a rogue doing 8 sneak attacks in a round isn't terribly overpowering at all.

Plus if you throw in poo poo like stoneskin, ironguard, plus all the other defensive spells I can't think of right now you can defend against the sneak attacks fairly well.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Looks like Erfworld is going for the "Jacob's Ladder" ending.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vicissitude posted:

Alternate class feature that replaces Trap Sense, the most worthless of all class features, lets you deal half your SA damage to anyone normally immune to it. I can't remember the name of it, but it's in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Robot Bastard posted:

God I hope that you mean I got stabbed in Vietnam and imagined that whole comic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Penetrating Strike. It's also reprinted in the new Dungeonscape book.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Vicissitude posted:

Get greater truedeath crystals from the magic item compendium, lets you sneak attack and crit undead as if they were living plus gives an extra d6 damage and ghost strike. While you're at it get greater demolition crystal too, lets you sneak attack and crit constructs, add an extra d6 and your weapons count as adamantine for the purpose of overcoming constructs dr. A weapon can hold one crystal, but you can swap them out as a move action that doesn't provoke AoO.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

Except the main character doesn't have any idea what's going on, and we saw his gaming group sitting around going "what the hell" for a ocuple of panels after he disappeared in the beginning.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Gunjin posted:

Get greater truedeath crystals from the magic item compendium, lets you sneak attack and crit undead as if they were living plus gives an extra d6 damage and ghost strike. While you're at it get greater demolition crystal too, lets you sneak attack and crit constructs, add an extra d6 and your weapons count as adamantine for the purpose of overcoming constructs dr. A weapon can hold one crystal, but you can swap them out as a move action that doesn't provoke AoO.

Hmm... I should get that book. As for constructs, no problem. I have an alternative Rogue Ability called Demolitionist or something from a Dragon magazine. I can sneak attack constructs and do extra damage to objects.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Zereth posted:

Except the main character doesn't have any idea what's going on, and we saw his gaming group sitting around going "what the hell" for a ocuple of panels after he disappeared in the beginning.

As long as they end it or do something with it. They make Rich look positively regular. Right about the time I started to care about the comic, it turned into 'we'll update.. someday'. If it was not on Giants in the playground it would be a dead webcomic.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

bgaesop posted:

Alternate class feature that replaces Trap Sense, the most worthless of all class features, lets you deal half your SA damage to anyone normally immune to it. I can't remember the name of it, but it's in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

The Ravenloft one is only versus undead. Dungeonscape will do what you're thinking of.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gothfae posted:

As long as they end it or do something with it. They make Rich look positively regular. Right about the time I started to care about the comic, it turned into 'we'll update.. someday'. If it was not on Giants in the playground it would be a dead webcomic.

Yeah, it is hard to understand how they missed their chance to just emulate what Rich Burlew did, say "things are really bad in real life right now, but we will be back eventually" and then, you know, come back eventually. Instead of ... yeah, this is pretty much bullshit. I think they have produced two pages of text with single illustrations in the time Rich has run like 20 new strips.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

:siren: The new strip is up! :siren:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0507.html

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Awesome. While reading, I was wondering out loud to myself "aren't these SEA trolls?" Apparently Burlew was counting on that.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
This sounds like an exceedingly powerful monster. I'm glad my DM never threw one at me, since they'd tend to be smart enough to just stay below sea level and wail on the hull - or not bother with surface vessels at all and just rule the entire sea.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They're not smart, though, they're trolls.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
You just use acid on them anyway.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Endrite posted:

You just use acid on them anyway.

Energy subsitution/energy admixture.

I love doing Lightning Bolt, energy subbed to acid.

"ACIDBOLT~!

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007
:siren: The new strip is up! :siren:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0508.html

The Milkman Cometh fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 25, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am really starting to like those two love-birds.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Does Var have a history of being fiercely competitive? Or is this the first time it's been hinted at?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Well, he was introduced in "On the Origin of PCs" competing in a game show.

Beyond that, he's hyper-anal enough that something like this--his magic failing him for no reason that he can possibly determine or accept--would naturally be driving him crazy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ha. Definitive proof Varsuvius is a male. Elan comments on V's dedication to finding their friends and Durkon says "Or 'e's just dedicated to winning." Durkon's faux accent wouldn't shorten "she's" to "'e's", only "he's".

It's definitive damnit!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Ha. Definitive proof Varsuvius is a male. Elan comments on V's dedication to finding their friends and Durkon says "Or 'e's just dedicated to winning." Durkon's faux accent wouldn't shorten "she's" to "'e's", only "he's".

It's definitive damnit!

Yep, that's certainly definitive proof that Durkon thinks of Vaarsuvius as a male all right. :v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Midniter posted:

It's definitive damnit!

Other characters have used clear pronouns for V in the past, anyway.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't even see why anyone cares. It's not like it'll ever actually matter. V already has a partner back home. Just accept that it's a gag that's gone on too long to ever actually end and move on.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So... not that anyone cares, but Erfworld has been a "bonus page" klog entry for, what, three weeks now?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
From what I've gathered, Erfworld is a 2 man show, and one of them had a family crisis (death/sickness in the family, I think).

So, on top of being really creepy, if one of them goes down for any period o f time, the other is incapable of continuing, apparantly.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

NutShellBill posted:

From what I've gathered, Erfworld is a 2 man show, and one of them had a family crisis (death/sickness in the family, I think).

So, on top of being really creepy, if one of them goes down for any period o f time, the other is incapable of continuing, apparantly.

It's probably a writer and an artist, so yeah, you kinda can't continue without both of them working.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Weremacht posted:

It's probably a writer and an artist, so yeah, you kinda can't continue without both of them working.

Presumably the artist that got taken out then, given the low art content of the recent ones.

I'm a detective!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

NutShellBill posted:

Haha. Why is that creepy? Do not get me wrong, I find it hilarious to envision them being in a two-brained symbiotic state and all, but working with someone else can produce great things ... and also ensure that you are out of luck if one of you breaks down. Like a car. A car can break down.

Where did you hear that there was an emergency? I suppose they must have forums, too, huh.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Quarex posted:

Haha. Why is that creepy? Do not get me wrong, I find it hilarious to envision them being in a two-brained symbiotic state and all, but working with someone else can produce great things ... and also ensure that you are out of luck if one of you breaks down. Like a car. A car can break down.

Where did you hear that there was an emergency? I suppose they must have forums, too, huh.

Sorry, the two headed comic strip isn't creepy. The content is. See: Lesbian bondage between characters who look all of 13 years old.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

NutShellBill posted:

Sorry, the two headed comic strip isn't creepy. The content is. See: Lesbian bondage between characters who look all of 13 years old.

You mean Lesbian bondage between characters who look all of 13 years old while dressing like pop culture icons and have mitten hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Soonmot posted:

So... not that anyone cares, but Erfworld has been a "bonus page" klog entry for, what, three weeks now?

...and that's why no one cares anymore.