Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Which feature would you prefer to have?

1080p @ 24p fps?

or 1080p @ 120hz refresh rate?

I've got two tv's I'm looking for for black friday, and that's basically the discerning feature as I can see it. One's a Sony W-series, the other is a Samsung, and the Samsung is $250 cheaper I think (same 40" size).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

wang souffle posted:

Can anyone make a suggestion on the best Samsung line that Best Buy carries? Have a bunch of gift cards there that are burning a hole in my pocket. I'm leaning towards a plasma around 40"-46". Don't have any HD sources besides DirecTV and broadcast, but feel like getting 720p would be selling myself short down the line. I'll be watching a good amount of SD material, and have an HTPC so I'd like a good DVI input if possible. Minimal gaming lag is also important (which is a bitch to research). I've been reading through AVS for a long time, but now my brain is just fried and need someone to tell me what's best these days.

Does it have to be Samsung? I don't think they offer any 42" 1080p plasma models. The Panasonic TH-42pz700u is the only 1080p plasma i know of that's under 50". It's a nice set. If it has to be a Samsung then i suppose look at the 65, 69, 71, and 81 model LCDs. Though only the 81 will be close to the plasma in terms of picture quality, and it will cost almost 3 times as much. Samsung's FP-T5084 is their 50" 1080p plasma and it's pretty decent, though not better than the Panasonic 50pz700u.

Not many sets have DVI inputs these days. I just run my HTPC with a DVI->HDMI cable and it works great.

overshottoast
Feb 27, 2007

You mean to tell me there's a fate worse than ingestion??

eric posted:

That will play HD movies just fine; I'm not sure if there would be any lag or not though. If you'll be using it as your primary TV I'd spend more and get something like this.

Well, one, it's a gift, and two, I'm technically not supposed to know about it. It's my dads idea, and he doesn't know that I know.

I was just thinking of using it as a primary TV until I can afford a bigger one. Then I's put this set in the bedroom and be done with it.

As long as it can play movies and my games in 720 just fine, I'm satisfied.

Thanks for the info.

cashmoney
Sep 26, 2007
Back, and reading
I'm considering buying the 42'' LCD Vizio from Costco, http://tinyurl.com/2lwy85

Does anyone own this Vizio or one like it? Whats the value like on this tv? Has it performed to your expectations?

My requirements for a HDTV are that it must be between $900-$1200, be 1080p, support 1920 x 1080 resolution, and have at least more than 1000:1 contrast ratio. This seems to fit my budget and exceed requirements by having 1500:1 contrast ratio.

cashmoney fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 21, 2007

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

edit: ^^^ Man, stop changing your post :ssj: ^^^

cashmoney posted:

I'm considering buying the 42'' LCD Vizio from Costco, http://tinyurl.com/2lwy85

Does anyone own this Vizio or one like it? Whats the value like on this tv? Has it performed to your expectations?

My requirements for a HDTV are that it must be between $900-$1200, be 1080p, support 1920 x 1080 resolution, and have at least more than 1000:1 contrast ratio. This seems to fit my budget and exceed requirements by having 1500:1 contrast ratio.

I have it and love it.

However, keep in mind the 1500:1 contrast ratio is the "dynamic contrast ratio" - whether that matters or not is up to you.

The TV does great for gaming, and HD movies are wonderful. Keep in mind it maxes out at about 720p via VGA in, and many have complained about fuzzy text via HDMI.

I am a very happy camper though!

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 21, 2007

cashmoney
Sep 26, 2007
Back, and reading

Walked posted:

I have it and love it.

However, keep in mind the 1500:1 contrast ratio is the "dynamic contrast ratio" - whether that matters or not is up to you.

The TV does great for gaming, and HD movies are wonderful. Keep in mind it maxes out at about 720p via VGA in, and many have complained about fuzzy text via HDMI.

I am a very happy camper though!

What got my attention right away is that in the details, it says it has a 8ms response time. Which is almost like my computer monitor, except my computer monitor has 2000:1 contrast ratio.

I don't care to much about VGA at 720p because all I have for that would be my classic xbox. Which will become useless as a DVD player since my computer will be used for that stuff. Whats up with the fuzzy text though? Do you have fuzzy text on your screen?

cashmoney fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 21, 2007

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

cashmoney posted:

What got my attention right away is that in the details, it says it has a 8ms response time. Which is almost like my computer monitor, except my computer monitor has 2000:1 contrast ratio.

I don't care to much about VGA at 720p because all I have for that would be my classic xbox. Which will become useless as a DVD player since my computer will be used for that stuff. Whats up with the fuzzy text though? Do you have fuzzy text on your screen?

At 720p via VGA I do not get fuzzy text at all. People have complained that they get fuzzy text when running DVI -> HDMI at 1080p. Some have reported this can be corrected via video drivers, while others saying otherwise.

I personally havent tried 1080p output via HDMI from a PC, so I have no clue if its an issue or not.

cashmoney
Sep 26, 2007
Back, and reading

Walked posted:

At 720p via VGA I do not get fuzzy text at all. People have complained that they get fuzzy text when running DVI -> HDMI at 1080p. Some have reported this can be corrected via video drivers, while others saying otherwise.

I personally havent tried 1080p output via HDMI from a PC, so I have no clue if its an issue or not.

The only time I've seen fussiness on an LCD screen is when going from analog to digital. I guess with these DVI to HDMI cords, even though they're digital signals, the way they convert the signal is still sub-par. I wish these Vizio HDTV's had DVI inputs on them.

cashmoney fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 21, 2007

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

cashmoney posted:

The only time I've seen fussiness on an LCD screen is when going from analog to digital. I guess with these DVI to HDMI cords, even though they're digital signals, the way they convert the signal is still sub-par. I wish these Vizio HDTV's had DVI inputs on them.

The hypothesis a lot of AVSforums members seem to agree on, is not a conversion issue, but that vizio has an edge sharpness filter which causes the acute small edges of the text to fuzz out a bit. Again, I dont know for sure and havent seen it - other members have had no issue.

If you buy from costco though, youve got 90 days to test for yourself, no questions asked.

gently caress I sound like a sales person.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Fantastipotamus posted:

1080p @ 24p fps?

I've got two tv's I'm looking for for black friday, and that's basically the discerning feature as I can see it. One's a Sony W-series, the other is a Samsung, and the Samsung is $250 cheaper I think (same 40" size).
Anyone have thoughts on this? Or on either of these TV's?

Here's the Sony:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665116628

And the Samsung:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8251303&st=LN-T4066F&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1169512521072

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Krinkle posted:

but as time goes on that KCTCSHSHHHSH every other channel change is really kind of grating on my nerves. It didn't happen with component.

depending on the cable box and OS, you may be able to tell it what set of resolutions it should output; restirct it such that both 1080i and 720p aren't both enabled.e

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Fantastipotamus posted:

1080p @ 24p fps?

Movies are traditionally shown in theaters at a (not really applicable but for the purposes of this discussion consider it) progressive 24fps. TV is traditionally shown at an interlaced 30fps. Traditional progressive-scan displays, 720p or 1080p, display at 60fps, and convert all content coming through to 60fps by de-interlacing if it's not already progressive.

For the purposes of this explanation, consider fps/Hz interchangable terms.

Math follows:

24fps movies shown on a 60hz display go through a process called 3:2 pulldown. To make the 24fps movie synch up with your 30 or 60fps display, you get frames repeated at off intervals, in the first 1/6 of a second:

A,A,A
B,B
C,C,C
D,D

4 frames of the film's 24 (or 1/6), and 10 frames of 60 through repetition for the display (1/6). Repeat 5 more times for your full second of video. It matches up, your display keeps going, and everything is almost imperceptibly jumpy on pans but otherwise you won't notice or care.

120hz/24p displays repeat the frames at even intervals, because 120 is the lowest common multiple of 24 & 30. In the first 1/6 of a second:

A,A,A,A,A
B,B,B,B,B
C,C,C,C,C
D,D,D,D,D

4 frames of 24 (or 1/6), 20 frames of 120 through repetition (1/6). Again repeat 5 more times to get your full second of video, again it matches up, but now there's no almost-imperceptible jumping created by the odd repetition.

There's also interlacing errors that can be introduced through 3:2 pulldown, but they're generally nothing you'd care about very much.

So that's a long way of saying: 24p / 120Hz are the same feature referred to by different names. Don't base your purchasing decision on that.

Edit: hosed up my math.

fahrvergnugen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 22, 2007

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

fahrvergnugen posted:

explanation
This is exactly what I was looking for, and I really appreciate that you took the time to explain it to me. :)

I think I'm leaning towards the Samsung at this point, as it's $250 cheaper, which is most of an HD-DVD player. Plus, I think if I buy an HD player when I get the TV on friday it'll be $100 off, as well, which means I could have the TV and a 1080p Toshiba HD-DVD player for the price of the Sony.

edit: oh, hmm.. It looks like I might have been looking at a different Samsung, this one appears to be 60hz refresh.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 22, 2007

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fahrvergnugen posted:

Movies are traditionally shown in theaters at a (not really applicable but for the purposes of this discussion consider it) progressive 24fps. TV is traditionally shown at an interlaced 30fps. Traditional progressive-scan displays, 720p or 1080p, display at 60fps, and convert all content coming through to 60fps by de-interlacing if it's not already progressive.

For the purposes of this explanation, consider fps/Hz interchangable terms.

Math follows:

120 is the lowest common multiple of 24 & 30. 24fps movies shown on a 60hz display go through a process called 3:2 pulldown. To make the 24fps movie synch up with your 30 or 60fps display, you get frames repeated at off intervals, in the first 1/6 of a second:

A,A,A
B,B
C,C,C
D,D

4 frames of the film's 24 (or 1/6), and 10 frames of 60 through repetition for the display (1/6). It matches up, your display keeps going, and everything is almost imperceptibly jumpy on pans but otherwise you won't notice or care.

120hz/24p displays repeat the frames at even intervals. In the first 1/6 of a second:

A,A,A,A,A
B,B,B,B,B
C,C,C,C,C
D,D,D,D,D

4 frames of 24 (or 1/6), 20 frames of 120 through repetition (1/6). No almost-imperceptible jumping created by the odd repetition.

There's also interlacing errors that can be introduced through 3:2 pulldown, but they're generally nothing you'd care about very much.

So that's a long way of saying: 24p / 120Hz are the same feature referred to by different names. Don't base your purchasing decision on that.

Edit: hosed up my math.

not really. Lots of tv's will ACCEPT a 24hz signal and just convert it to 60hz. not all tv's accept 24hz. Just cause it says it supports 24hz doesn't mean it displays it properly like the 120hz screen would.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Don Lapre posted:

not really. Lots of tv's will ACCEPT a 24hz signal and just convert it to 60hz. not all tv's accept 24hz. Just cause it says it supports 24hz doesn't mean it displays it properly like the 120hz screen would.

I haven't heard of a 24p-compatible display that still does 3:2 pulldown on the source. Got a few sets you can name?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

overshottoast posted:

I have a question. My parents recently bought this LCD Westinghouse tv for themselves, as an anniversary present.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234007

They told me tonight they want to buy me one for christmas to go with the Playstation 3 my fiance bought for me.

Has anyone here ever had an experience with this TV? It seems like an awesome budget HDTV, but I wanted some insider info on it. Does it look like it is worth the price, and does anyone think this could play Blu-ray/Games in 720 perfectly?

Thanks for the info

I have a Westinghouse 27" and I know they're not all identical but I play Guitar Hero with 0 lag on mine.

cashmoney posted:

With DVI to HDMI there is no conversion.

Fantastipotamus posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for, and I really appreciate that you took the time to explain it to me. :)

I think I'm leaning towards the Samsung at this point, as it's $250 cheaper, which is most of an HD-DVD player. Plus, I think if I buy an HD player when I get the TV on friday it'll be $100 off, as well, which means I could have the TV and a 1080p Toshiba HD-DVD player for the price of the Sony.

edit: oh, hmm.. It looks like I might have been looking at a different Samsung, this one appears to be 60hz refresh.

If you're looking for an HD-DVD player check out the HD-A3 on Amazon, there's a special offer with free movies and some of their other players that do 1080p are qualified for the offer too and are about $100 off.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 22, 2007

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I was looking to purchase a 21"+ HDTV mainly for use for an Xbox 360. I only really care about it being 720p, and I don't really have room for more than a 27" set. I have tried to research HD television but a lot of it still goes over my head. What I'm looking for a not too expensive set that can do 720p, has HDMI cables input, and can accept a coaxial cable to display non-HD cable without a cable box being near it. (The box is downstairs, I just have a coaxial running up through the wall and floor). I don't care about HD Television at all, as I usually just have the TV idle on for sound while I nap.

If anyone could help me out with any suggestions I'd be most appreciative.

overshottoast
Feb 27, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I have a Westinghouse 27" and I know they're not all identical but I play Guitar Hero with 0 lag on mine.

Is it a pretty good picture? Like, If I'm trying to play Assassin's Creed or something else in 720, would it look pretty awesome? I've been holding off buying a bunch of PS3 games (Uncharted, COD4, Ratchet, Orange Box) just because I want to be wowed when I get the HDTV.

Sorry for the questions, but I'm just wanting to know because my mom basically told me so I WOULDN'T go buy an HDTV. They wanted me to keep my cash by buying me one, and I'm just trying to look into it, seeing as most of the websites its listed on have little to no reviews on it.

Thanks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

cashmoney posted:

As the giraffe said, there's no conversion. HDMI is DVI video with audio added in. If the picture is fuzzy the problem practically has to be on Vizio's end and I wouldn't be at all surprised by it. Seems that many TVs do retarded things with their VGA/DVI/HDMI inputs when used with computers.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

overshottoast posted:

Is it a pretty good picture? Like, If I'm trying to play Assassin's Creed or something else in 720, would it look pretty awesome? I've been holding off buying a bunch of PS3 games (Uncharted, COD4, Ratchet, Orange Box) just because I want to be wowed when I get the HDTV.

Sorry for the questions, but I'm just wanting to know because my mom basically told me so I WOULDN'T go buy an HDTV. They wanted me to keep my cash by buying me one, and I'm just trying to look into it, seeing as most of the websites its listed on have little to no reviews on it.

Thanks.

I played some Eternal Sonata on it and it looks FANTASTIC. It's not going to look as great in dark dark scenes like a super expensive set but for the $320 it cost me I absolutely love it.

You should see if you can throw some money in (but not let your dad know) and put it towards a name brand like a Samsung that's a couple hundred more though. There is a difference and you'll get a much better warranty.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=36822612

That's the TV I got just FYI.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 22, 2007

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Has anyone had any experience with this HDTV from HP? http://tinyurl.com/3beqb4

Its on sale on black Friday from Best Buy for $996 and I like the stats and the fact that it is 1080p.

overshottoast
Feb 27, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I played some Eternal Sonata on it and it looks FANTASTIC. It's not going to look as great in dark dark scenes like a super expensive set but for the $320 it cost me I absolutely love it.

You should see if you can throw some money in (but not let your dad know) and put it towards a name brand like a Samsung that's a couple hundred more though. There is a difference and you'll get a much better warranty.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=36822612

That's the TV I got just FYI.

Yeah, thats the TV.

My mom told me she wants me to hold on to my money, she wants it to be a straight gift from my dad to me. Also, what PS3 games do you think would look awesome on it (ones that aren't too dark)? I would go to my parents house with my PS3 and say "Hay guys, can I see what this looks like on your tv??" but I don't think that would fly :(

Breadjesus
Apr 3, 2004
Kami-same
BIG, MEATY COCKS ARE YUMMY IN MY TUMMY!
I've decided it's finally time to spend money on an HD set, and found this at costco.

The price is insanely low, which makes me a little cautious, but if the tv delivers what it promises, it seems like this would be exactly what I want. This would be almost exclusively for gaming, as I don't watch tv.

Anyone have any experience with the brand? Thanks for the input.

VTS
Dec 20, 2005
Help me decide which of these TV's would be better...

Samsung 32 inch (does 100hz)
http://www.beyondtelevision.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=329
or....
Samsung 37 inch (1080p resolution)
http://www.beyondtelevision.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=330

mainly for 360 gaming, and movies. I dont actually watch tv.
Could I use either of these as a PC monitor through dvi-hdmi?
(preferably info on using the 37 inch at 1920x1080?)

I'm thinking fo buying one after Xmas, in the january sales, right after my birthday.

Thanks.

phecke
Feb 23, 2007
No more of that talk or I'll put the fucking leeches on you, understand?
Hey there, anybody know which of these would be a better deal? Only difference it seems is that one is 1080p and one is 720p but being that it's only 42" will it be that big of a difference and worth the cost?

Panasonic 42" Plasma 1080p (TH-42PZ77U)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=191836

or

Panasonic 42" Plasma 720p (TH-42PX77U)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-42-Plasma-HDTV-TH-42PX77U/sem/rpsm/oid/178595/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The 1080p panasonic you listed was $1199.99 at sears last week.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I'm shopping for a new LCD HDTV today with a budget of $1600 after taxes/shipping. I want 1080p and a decent picture at either 42 or 46 inches (or close).

I'm considering this and the 47" version of this which is $1499 but no shipping because it is in-store.

Are there any other online deals I should consider?

edit:
went with this

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 23, 2007

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'm personally looking into upgrading the TV in my room, currently a 27"ish CRT, SD, so on and so forth. I was looking into DLP, since it's the best size difference for the cost, but I'm a bit wary since I'm a heavy rhythm gamer as well. I mainly want to get one to play my 360 and Wii on in HD/ED respectively, but I'm scared that the upgrade is going to cost me the playability of the games I actually play the most. I have a few options in mind though, and I was wondering if I could get some opinions. So far as the TV I'd like to get, I'd like 1080i/720p compatible, inputs aren't really an issue since I'm OK with cableswapping. Decent size, maybe a 42" or something like that. (I saw a 57" on newegg for a decent price, which I'm thinking may be for the family living room sometime down the line, and that'd work fine considering there's no gaming going on in there for the most part.)

1) Get a lag-free DLP. From what I can tell, this suggestion is almost laughable, but it would be the easiest for me to work with. Does anyone have any idea which DLP sets will work best for older generation gaming?

2) Get an upscaler. Any word on one that isn't impossible to afford yet? I've heard of the iScan, but to be honest I'm looking into DLP because of the cost, and I can't afford to spend a grand and a half just to play my old games.

3) Keep my current TV but put it somewhere else, or get a small 480i flatpanel. The only issue with my first option here is the space issue, but I think I'd be able to work around that. However, does anyone know if there are still 480i flat panel screens being produced that would work OK for what I need? I' not entirely familiar with LCD and inherent lag, even when running at 480i, or even if the screen type supports that low of an input, but it'd be an acceptable option for me all things considered.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

If you're looking for an HD-DVD player check out the HD-A3 on Amazon, there's a special offer with free movies and some of their other players that do 1080p are qualified for the offer too and are about $100 off.
Excellent, definitely will check that out.

Grabbed this this morning after braving the crowd at the local BB. In line @ 3:20am, in the door at 5:05 am w/ reserve ticket (#7 of 12), paid by 5:10, out back loading by 5:15, home, installed by 5:40 or so.

Looks FANTASTIC. Even with just a good quality 480p DVD player running to it. HD channels through comcast are fantastic too.

I won't say I'd like to brave the crowds every year on black friday, but for occasional big-ticket items, I might think about it.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I'm looking into one of these for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT4671F-1080p-120Hz-HDTV/dp/B000U9ZCS6/ref=cm_ciu_pdpimg_prodinfo?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Can anyone tell me about there experience with them as far as watching films and gaming are concerned.

Ty
Sep 1, 2001
Internet O.G.
I'm loving this 42" Toshiba LCD deal at Best Buy Canada: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010086199&logon=L&langid=EN

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's listed as having no coaxial cable inputs. Does this mean I won't be able to watch cable without running it through my VCR and then using component inputs or something? I don't really care about the picture quality, just that I will be able to watch cable TV without purchasing a separate receiver.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
I've been looking for an HDTV and this one has been catching my eye:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDS-60A3000-1080p-Projection/dp/B000TMFYBO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1195858910&sr=8-1

Is this TV worth it's price? Or should I instead be looking at LCD's or another brand that would be better? I'm trying to find a 60" for around $2,000. I'll mostly be using it to play Xbox 360 and Wii.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Well I picked up the Sharp 46" LCD 1080p tv at CC today. Yay for being in debt even more than I need to be!

orinth fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 24, 2007

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

phecke posted:

Hey there, anybody know which of these would be a better deal? Only difference it seems is that one is 1080p and one is 720p but being that it's only 42" will it be that big of a difference and worth the cost?

Panasonic 42" Plasma 1080p (TH-42PZ77U)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=191836

or

Panasonic 42" Plasma 720p (TH-42PX77U)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-42-Plasma-HDTV-TH-42PX77U/sem/rpsm/oid/178595/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I have the 42PX77U and love it. It's a fantastic set, I sit about 7 feet from it.

The anti-glare coating really helps - especially because I have a lamp directly across the room from the TV and it's on most of the time I'm watching TV. Without the coating I'd either have to turn the lamp off or move it.

I wouldn't bother with 1080p at that size. My thinking was I'd get a 42 inch 720p set and let 1080p sets drop in price some more. In a few years, I'll move the 42 inch set to my bedroom and get a big 1080p set.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Ty posted:

I'm loving this 42" Toshiba LCD deal at Best Buy Canada: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010086199&logon=L&langid=EN

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's listed as having no coaxial cable inputs. Does this mean I won't be able to watch cable without running it through my VCR and then using component inputs or something? I don't really care about the picture quality, just that I will be able to watch cable TV without purchasing a separate receiver.

Yes it has a coaxial input as well as a QAM tuner so you can watch unencrypted cable channels without a cable box. Here are the real specs:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=42HL167

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Syntaxed posted:

I've been looking for an HDTV and this one has been catching my eye:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDS-60A3000-1080p-Projection/dp/B000TMFYBO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1195858910&sr=8-1

Is this TV worth it's price? Or should I instead be looking at LCD's or another brand that would be better? I'm trying to find a 60" for around $2,000. I'll mostly be using it to play Xbox 360 and Wii.

The SXRDs are great for gaming. I have the original XBR1 model and haven't experienced any problems with lag even with a gamecube hooked up via composite. (It was butt ugly via composite so I would pick up the wii component cables if you haven't already.) You aren't going to find a flat panel in that size range for anywhere near $2000 so as long as you don't mind replacing a $300 lamp unit every 2-3 years it will be everything you want it to be.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I've been looking into buy an HDTV for a while now (this thread helped a whole lot) and I think I found one I want to get at target: Magnavox 32" LCD HDTV - 32MF337B

I am happy with the price and size, but I wanted to check here about the resolution before I made my final decision. It says in the description that it displays resolution up to 1080i. Does this mean that it can upregulate 720i(p) resolutions and display as 1080, or does it mean that it will pick up these channels and downregulate them to 480p?

I spoke with a sales guy there, he didn't give me a clear answer that could satisfy me, but he did tell me that I would be better off waiting until late January-early February because TVs are always cheaper right before the Superbowl and they give a lot of deals on free shipping online. I don't have a problem with waiting until then for the TV since I am not getting digital cable and Xbox 360 until Christmas-early January.

So I just wanted to see it this TV was worth the $700 (possibly less by the time I buy it) that I am going to pay for it. Does anyone have this TV, or any experience with Magnavox brand HDTVs? Thanks for any feedback, goons.

Booties fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 24, 2007

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Booties posted:

I've been looking into buy an HDTV for a while now (this thread helped a whole lot) and I think I found one I want to get at target: Magnavox 32" LCD HDTV - 32MF337B

I am happy with the price and size, but I wanted to check here about the resolution before I made my final decision. It says in the description that it displays resolution up to 1080i. Does this mean that it can upregulate 720i(p) resolutions and display as 1080, or does it mean that it will pick up these channels and downregulate them to 480p?

I spoke with a sales guy there, he didn't give me a clear answer that could satisfy me, but he did tell me that I would be better off waiting until late January-early February because TVs are always cheaper right before the Superbowl and they give a lot of deals on free shipping online. I don't have a problem with waiting until then for the TV since I am not getting digital cable and Xbox 360 until Christmas-early January.

So I just wanted to see it this TV was worth the $700 (possibly less by the time I buy it) that I am going to pay for it. Does anyone have this TV, or any experience with Magnavox brand HDTVs? Thanks for any feedback, goons.

The TV's native resolution is 1366x768 (720p). It can accept a 1080i signal but it will convert it to 720p. Off the top of my head I can only think of one 32" TV with a resolution of 1920x1080 made by Sharp. At that size 99% of what is available is 720p.

I don't have any personal experience with that set. The specs are tolerable but there are better sets on the market.

There are some sales in January but most TV manufacturers release their new models between June and August so that's when the older models get marked down the most.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

samurai slowdown posted:

The TV's native resolution is 1366x768 (720p). It can accept a 1080i signal but it will convert it to 720p. Off the top of my head I can only think of one 32" TV with a resolution of 1920x1080 made by Sharp. At that size 99% of what is available is 720p.

I don't have any personal experience with that set. The specs are tolerable but there are better sets on the market.

There are some sales in January but most TV manufacturers release their new models between June and August so that's when the older models get marked down the most.

I can deal with it downconverting 1080i to 720p, as long as it doesn't go down to EDTV standards. I don't think I'll be shooting for anything better than this since my price limit is around $700, unless something close to it in price is obviously a better choice. As much as I'd like to get it for as cheap as possible, I just don't see myself waiting until Summer to get a new TV.

Thanks for filling me in though, I'm glad to know the true resolution now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Walmart is now selling the Sony Bravia Series http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=3996S

Some of the prices are not listed at all others seem pretty good to my untrained eye. They also carry a brand called Vizio which I have never heard of. I've read some reviews online about that brand, but there is nothing like hearing first person accounts.

http://www.news.com/The-secret-of-Vizios-success/2100-1041_3-6203488.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/4504-5_7-0.html?tag=ksrch2_coco&x=57&y=10&id=32516724&id=32413025&id=32306254&id=32165930&id=32305879&id=32165929
CNET is giving their line high 6s and 7s.

Let's say I have about $800.00 to spend on a tv I will be using for watching regular tv and sports, DVDs and Gaming. The gaming is very important to me. Even though I don't play the PS2 for hours like I used to, when I do play I want the full experience.
When I'm gaming I'm probably sitting 5-6 ft away. For tv watching I'm more like 10 ft away
Any recommendations for a novice like myself?

• Locked thread