Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

el Trentoro posted:

Anyone familiar with these? I need a good solid workhorse bass, I've wasted so much money on fancy-looking-but-fragile-and-lovely instruments, and the Jaguar is SO drat SEXY...

Those are beautiful, but the finish on the neck was pretty heavy compared to my 2006 jazz bass, and I hate that. Also had a dead spot on the first fret, G string. I wanted to like it but was really unimpressed by that particular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Engine Fortegue posted:

I'm pretty sure the side markers on the side of the neck are LEDs :psyduck:

Yup. That's a fairly common feature on Alembics-they've been doing it since they started in the early 70's.

Costs a fat bit of change to get them as an option, though. Mine doesn't have them.

Wobegon posted:

Jesus christ, haven't these people ever heard of concentric control knobs? Stack those suckers.

Problem is, some of those are already double pots (judging from the electronics on mine), so stacking them would be impossible.

That bass is mind-boggling.

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!

el Trentoro posted:

Anyone familiar with these? I need a good solid workhorse bass, I've wasted so much money on fancy-looking-but-fragile-and-lovely instruments, and the Jaguar is SO drat SEXY...

I've never played one myself, so you may take my opinion with a grain of salt if you wish, but I've seen a few bands in the last few weeks where the bassist played a jag bass, and they didn't sound all that good to me. It seemed to me that any sound you could get out of it could be had using a plain old jazz bass.

Then again, all the people I saw playing them came off as tools who had more gear than they knew what to do with it. I'm sure you could get a good sound out of them, but if it's a workhorse you want, I'd still get a jazz bass over that. Better yet, I'd go for a P-bass. I have a precision and a jazz, and though I love them both, there's rarely a time my P-bass doesn't come through. They're pure simplicity.

Also, though I have gotten to adore my P-bass since I found a good American model, wrapping your hands around a jazz neck is a great luxury if you're going for faster runs. Although this is ultimately a comfort issue and not a tone one, so I don't really let that get in the way. Jazz necks were made for speed. A P-bass is like playing a Louisville slugger comparatively.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

el Trentoro posted:

I dunno, check this out... http://youtube.com/watch?v=qpq2uKJdGJs

I'm interested in Jag basses, but then again I don't play bass.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

help i am on fire posted:

Also, though I have gotten to adore my P-bass since I found a good American model, wrapping your hands around a jazz neck is a great luxury if you're going for faster runs. Although this is ultimately a comfort issue and not a tone one, so I don't really let that get in the way. Jazz necks were made for speed. A P-bass is like playing a Louisville slugger comparatively.

Aye I love the feel of the Jazz and the sound of the P. I'm thinking of making a hybrid P/J body/neck and P/MM in the pickups department. I have an 81 P but am tired of playing it as it's so bulky.

Oh, and the Jag bass is ugly to me. I can't say why, sometimes I like retro, but they just aren't attractive to me.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I'm done buying guitars. The neck smells like the rainforest and I love it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Swollen Member posted:

I'm done buying guitars. The neck smells like the rainforest and I love it.

Heh heh I know who else posts at harmony central. ;)

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

That paint job is loving sex.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Swollen Member posted:

Sex

Didn't you post only two months ago that you were interested in learning guitar?

Just asking because I think a Jazzmaster, American Stratocaster, Les Paul Supreme, SG, Telecaster & PRS is the most awesome but overkill starter package around.

What amp are you using?

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
That prs is hot and i wanna have sex with it, look at that bridge on that thing, got drat.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

qball posted:

Didn't you post only two months ago that you were interested in learning guitar?

Just asking because I think a Jazzmaster, American Stratocaster, Les Paul Supreme, SG, Telecaster & PRS is the most awesome but overkill starter package around.

What amp are you using?

drat, that's crazy. I'm a pretty big whore though myself! Newest addition:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

I wish more guitars had things that lit up on them

Out Of Band
May 2, 2002

HI I AM A CLAM

mesc posted:

drat, that's crazy. I'm a pretty big whore though myself! Newest addition:

I'm so envious of that...

As for me, I just went and blew a ton of money over the past couple days:

Korg KP3

Presonus Firebox

And I don't have it yet, but I won a Korg Kaossilator on eBay the other day. I hope that gets shipped to me soon, it looks like a lot of fun.

Next purchase will probably be Ableton Live 7 upgrade (I'll end up getting the suite I'm guessing).

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Those flying-bird inlays are really really nice. I have an Epiphone Dove so I guess I'm a sucker for birds on guitars. Anyway, after moving to London I needed an acoustic for the 12 months I'm here and decided on this crafter. It plays a lot nicer than the Dove, and was decently priced.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

qball posted:

is this true? this boggles my mind :psyduck:

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Just ordered this as a welcome back gift after a 3 year break.

I'll be getting a Line 6 Spider II 30w, too.

I've booked a week off work to get back into the feel of things. This will be the longest working week of my life.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

mesc posted:

*steals*

that's fuckin' awesome mate. VERY jealous indeed!! smartarse x 2408923

can i come over and use it? please please please? i'll be good for a week i promise, i'll clean my room, i'll do anything!

wouldn't mind stealing that KP3 as well - that's next on my list. :D

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

I just got one of these off ebay :awesomelon::sotw:

http://www.frostwave.com/blueringerv2/

I haven't figured out all the subtleties yet, but it's definitely easy to produce tons of robot factory noise and make the sounds change colors by twisting on all those knobs :rudebox:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

GHOST OF TAE-BO posted:

I just got one of these off ebay :awesomelon::sotw:

http://www.frostwave.com/blueringerv2/

I haven't figured out all the subtleties yet, but it's definitely easy to produce tons of robot factory noise and make the sounds change colors by twisting on all those knobs :rudebox:

Hmmm... interesting, I've been interested in a Lovetone Ring Stinger for a while now, but they're nearly $1k, how much did this set you back?

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

Handen posted:

Hmmm... interesting, I've been interested in a Lovetone Ring Stinger for a while now, but they're nearly $1k, how much did this set you back?

$185

The Blue Ringer doesn't have all the options on the carrier signal like the Ring Stinger, but it has an input jack, so you could semi-easily build an lfo that does all/any of the things that does, you'd just need some extra hardware.

I think they both use germanium diodes (ie the 'ring'), but I guess I'm not sure if mine does, I know the Lovetone does. I should check.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
First off, I am not rich, I bought all of this over the last six months. I just don't have a camera of my own.

I've wanted one of these for ages. One came up on Ebay, one quick battery replacement and a factory default later and I had the best piano synth money could buy in the late 80's!

Next up, I can't afford a pile of classic amps but this is pretty close.

Both of them output here. This is the KC-150, a word of warning if you're looking at these amps, the KC-60 is a lot cheaper but it breaks up at low volumes.

I'm hooked on Reason at the moment, it makes everything so easy.

So I got a portable midi controller so I can drag my laptop around with Reason on it.

Cynicide fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 26, 2007

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Since I sold my amp to buy my Pod X3, I needed some way to be able to play through a computer:

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002
I managed to save $140 off the retail price through a combination of a Black Friday sale and some random confusing luck.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

archie posted:

*steals*

that's fuckin' awesome mate. VERY jealous indeed!! smartarse x 2408923

can i come over and use it? please please please? i'll be good for a week i promise, i'll clean my room, i'll do anything!

wouldn't mind stealing that KP3 as well - that's next on my list. :D

Sure buddy you're in! I gotta tell you, this thing has been an absolute blast - the programming is incredibly intuitive, and I love the front panel on it (which, I understand was one of the big concerns people have with it - not enough knobbage.)

I've put some other instruments through the audio input as well and the filter does exactly what I expected. All in all its got that analog sound I've been missing.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

RSPsych0 posted:

Since I sold my amp to buy my Pod X3, I needed some way to be able to play through a computer:

Don't the X3's have USB recording capabilities?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

pennywisdom posted:

Don't the X3's have USB recording capabilities?

Sort of, but at least with the XTL, you couldn't listen to it live without a special program that had horrible latency.

And I can use this box for my other recording needs, too.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Thanks to the people who provided suggestions in my thread about buying a digital piano.

So I got this:

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

RSPsych0 posted:

Sort of, but at least with the XTL, you couldn't listen to it live without a special program that had horrible latency.

And I can use this box for my other recording needs, too.

Whaa? Not true. I've used my xt live for recording and playing live and have needed no such special program.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Spaceship Zero posted:

Whaa? Not true. I've used my xt live for recording and playing live and have needed no such special program.

You could hear it through your computer while you were recording?

Maybe I was doing something wrong.

I haven't good luck with, like, anything lately.

Kerro posted:

Thanks to the people who provided suggestions in my thread about buying a digital piano.

So I got this:

Very nice. I badly want one when I move out of my apartment.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

RSPsych0 posted:

You could hear it through your computer while you were recording?

Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Run the mono out from the POD to the line in on your computer and keep it unmuted.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

hamaien posted:

Run the mono out from the POD to the line in on your computer and keep it unmuted.

Yes, this is why I bought the firewire box. He was saying I could do it with USB.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

RSPsych0 posted:

Yes, this is why I bought the firewire box. He was saying I could do it with USB.

What I always did with my pod was set it as the input interface in GarageBand (which is what I use. yes, yes, laugh away), and monitor the guitar through the headphone out of the pod itself. It'd record through the pod, and I could listen to what I was playing at any time.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

So I still haven't taken any pictures of my new poo poo, but I will. In the meantime, my fiancee just ordered this combo

for me, for $99. The mics alone are usually $99, so the Audio Buddy is free - which is good, since it's kind of a piece of poo poo. But a free piece of poo poo, and I like how the mics sound for micing a guitar cab. I'll get some use out of the preamp 'til I pick up a better one, and I'll keep using the mics (probably in combination with the Sennheiser E609 that I'm drooling over right now, anyone had experience with it?).

She's such a sweety. I was having an awful time trying to record a riff with a laptop's onboard omnidirectional mic last night, and this morning she ordered that for me. What a girl!

The preamp there has a bit of a problematic "feature" - the phantom power is actually only about 44V with one mic, and drops to about 30V with two mics, meaning it's completely useless for any serious work. Still sounds good with dynamics, of course, and 44V is technically within the +/-4V phantom power spec, but I will definitely need to invest in a better preamp sooner rather than later. Anyone used the Art USB tube preamp?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 27, 2007

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Agreed posted:

So I still haven't taken any pictures of my new poo poo, but I will. In the meantime, my fiancee just ordered this combo

for me, for $99. The mics alone are usually $99, so the Audio Buddy is free - which is good, since it's kind of a piece of poo poo. But a free piece of poo poo, and I like how the mics sound for micing a guitar cab. I'll get some use out of the preamp 'til I pick up a better one, and I'll keep using the mics (probably in combination with the Sennheiser E609 that I'm drooling over right now, anyone had experience with it?).

She's such a sweety. I was having an awful time trying to record a riff with a laptop's onboard omnidirectional mic last night, and this morning she ordered that for me. What a girl!

The preamp there has a bit of a problematic "feature" - the phantom power is actually only about 44V with one mic, and drops to about 30V with two mics, meaning it's completely useless for any serious work. Still sounds good with dynamics, of course, and 44V is technically within the +/-4V phantom power spec, but I will definitely need to invest in a better preamp sooner rather than later. Anyone used the Art USB tube preamp?

I used these two exact mics and the pre-amp RSPsych0 posted a few posts up to record my last EP and for the money I was very, very impressed. I can post some clips if you're interested when I get home this afternoon

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...

Agreed posted:

I'll get some use out of the preamp 'til I pick up a better one, and I'll keep using the mics (probably in combination with the Sennheiser E609 that I'm drooling over right now, anyone had experience with it?).

E609 in my opinion is (for the money) the ultimate dynamic mic for guitar cabs. I love mine. However the first chance I get to replace it with a Sennheiser MD441... thats happening.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Engine Fortegue posted:

I used these two exact mics and the pre-amp RSPsych0 posted a few posts up to record my last EP and for the money I was very, very impressed. I can post some clips if you're interested when I get home this afternoon

I would definitely be interested, especially in vocals and guitar cab mic'ing. That would be great.

The Huntsman posted:

E609 in my opinion is (for the money) the ultimate dynamic mic for guitar cabs. I love mine. However the first chance I get to replace it with a Sennheiser MD441... thats happening.

Well, I'm a Sennheiser nerd from the headphones angle (HD650 represent), and I really, really like the design of the mic, so I definitely want to pick one up as soon as cashflow allows. Think you'll be selling yours eventually, or is it one of those mics that's always good to have around even when replaced?

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Agreed posted:

I would definitely be interested, especially in vocals and guitar cab mic'ing. That would be great.

Well, I'm a Sennheiser nerd from the headphones angle (HD650 represent), and I really, really like the design of the mic, so I definitely want to pick one up as soon as cashflow allows. Think you'll be selling yours eventually, or is it one of those mics that's always good to have around even when replaced?

Here's the a pretty good vocal example, unfortunetally I didn't do any cab micing so I can only really give you vocal and acoustic-through-preamp examples :sweatdrop:

But anyway, yeah.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

FlossMan posted:

What I always did with my pod was set it as the input interface in GarageBand (which is what I use. yes, yes, laugh away), and monitor the guitar through the headphone out of the pod itself. It'd record through the pod, and I could listen to what I was playing at any time.

Yup, this is what I do. I use the pod as the audio interface. USB into the pc, monitors plugged into the pod, set it as the audio i/o in both windows and cubase.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Engine Fortegue posted:

Here's the a pretty good vocal example, unfortunetally I didn't do any cab micing so I can only really give you vocal and acoustic-through-preamp examples :sweatdrop:

But anyway, yeah.

Sounds good. I can't wait for these to get in. Very pretty song, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Agreed posted:

Sounds good. I can't wait for these to get in. Very pretty song, by the way.

Thanks! You're going to love them, especially for the price they're very good mics for a small home studio.