Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Has anyone else been keeping up with Goblins? There's been a surprising amount of action in the past couple of comics. Not to mention a healthy amount of gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Schwarzwald posted:

Has anyone else been keeping up with Goblins? There's been a surprising amount of action in the past couple of comics. Not to mention a healthy amount of gore.

I've just started reading it and am glad that this delay is unusual.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I've just started reading it and am glad that this delay is unusual.

Explain what you mean by that, because it seems like you're suggesting that Goblins updates regularly and frequently.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Fuego Fish posted:

Explain what you mean by that, because it seems like you're suggesting that Goblins updates regularly and frequently.

Pfft, you couldn't possibly expect a guy with a weekly comic that has a higher daily readership than Schlock Mercenary to make a living off it, could you? That would be crazy talk.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

ZorbaTHut posted:

Pfft, you couldn't possibly expect a guy with a weekly comic that has a higher daily readership than Schlock Mercenary to make a living off it, could you? That would be crazy talk.

It's probably not that simple. The man is still technically giving the comic away for free, and until he acquires a fanbase large enough to live off the merchandising - not just a readership, but people in to it enough to buy paraphenlia - he's going to need that day job.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Schwarzwald posted:

Has this turned into General Webcomics, cause I was sure this was Order of the Stick and occasionally that other comic hosted at Giant's in the Playground.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

gothfae posted:

Has this turned into General Webcomics, cause I was sure this was Order of the Stick and occasionally that other comic hosted at Giant's in the Playground.

We've talked about Goblins here before. It's another one that's updated so infrequently that discussing in this thread about a D&D based webcomic should not inject sand directly into your vagina.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just wish Goblins would stick with one of it's plots for more than,at best, two consecutive updates at a time.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I wish Dies Horribly would get on with it and take that pseudo-furry abortion of a female character with him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Seriously. I've never given a gently caress about that character. We have this cool Goblin adventure group going to rescue their friend and then "Hey guys look over here here's this other Goblin that used to be with them wonder what he's up to."

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It's probably not that simple. The man is still technically giving the comic away for free, and until he acquires a fanbase large enough to live off the merchandising - not just a readership, but people in to it enough to buy paraphenlia - he's going to need that day job.

No, it kind of is that simple.

The writer of Schlock Mercenary gives his comic away for free. He gets less daily traffic than Goblins. And he has a wife and four children - and the wife doesn't work - and he just sold 4.68 tons of his new book :v:

I don't know what Tarol Hunt's living situation is like, but I have a hard time imagining that his life costs more than Howard Tayler's. The guy could make a living off it, but right now he continues to rely on donations and Cafepress shirts, and I mean, that's a death sentence right there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ZorbaTHut posted:

No, it kind of is that simple.

The writer of Schlock Mercenary gives his comic away for free. He gets less daily traffic than Goblins. And he has a wife and four children - and the wife doesn't work - and he just sold 4.68 tons of his new book :v:

I don't know what Tarol Hunt's living situation is like, but I have a hard time imagining that his life costs more than Howard Tayler's. The guy could make a living off it, but right now he continues to rely on donations and Cafepress shirts, and I mean, that's a death sentence right there.

Considering the legal disagreement thing that might be because he's using copyrighted DnD stuff, I'd think making a living off it in a more direct manner would probably have been the real death sentence.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Considering the legal disagreement thing that might be because he's using copyrighted DnD stuff, I'd think making a living off it in a more direct manner would probably have been the real death sentence.

The SRD, which contains almost everything from the DMG, PHB, and MM, has been released under the Open Gaming License.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not to mention that Burlew is doing the exact same thing.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I do a D&D comic too, so I've taken a look at the OGL before, and I honestly don't think this sort of thing is covered at all. Though Wizards mostly don't seem to mind- Didn't OOTS appear in one of their magazines or something for a while, too?

At the end of the day, as long as they aren't claiming any rules or terms as their own, I can't imagine they'd get on anyone's case, it's almost like free publicity.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kojiro posted:

I can't imagine they'd get on anyone's case, it's almost like free publicity.

Oh, how I wish more companies thought like that.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Kojiro posted:

it's almost like free publicity.

Which is fine, until your comic starts including underaged interspecies bondage sex, then they don't really want you using their name.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vomax posted:

Which is fine, until your comic starts including underaged interspecies bondage sex, then they don't really want you using their name.

That comic has really nothing to do with any gaming system though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vomax posted:

Ghastly's Ghastly Comic is D20 now?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Vomax posted:

Erfworld doesn't have anything to do with D&D, nor does it mention any licensed rules from any other game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

greatn posted:

Seriously. I've never given a gently caress about that character. We have this cool Goblin adventure group going to rescue their friend and then "Hey guys look over here here's this other Goblin that used to be with them wonder what he's up to."

Hahahaha. I have been a fan of Dies Horribly since COMIC #3 or whenever he first appeared; he was actually (along with "Complains-of-Names") the thing that got me to think this comic had more potential than just "lol fourth-wall breaking fantasy!!"

Now, granted, this hardly means I like the way he structures his comics. If he updated all three storylines at once with brief comics of each one every time he updated, I think that would be pretty awesome, innovative (though I bet it has been done before), and less frustrating!

While Order of the Stick is clearly the best webcomic ever (other than perhaps about six issues of Sinfest back near when it first started, PVP before Scott Kurtz sold out by "making a good comic," and B0n3D00D and pLaTeDeWd [edit: wow, it took like 10 minutes to find the correct spelling when I realized it was undoubtedly wrong]), I think Goblins is actually right up there. And I swear Erfworld could be great if they just wrote it more frequently and people appreciated that the "stupid Internet meme bullshit" is all brilliantly and hilariously interwoven with the very nature of the comic's world.

Re-edit: In fact, just because in my mind nothing in the entire history of gaming webcomics will ever beat this single strip for perfectly nailing a gaming situation, I am going to link it and hope that everyone who ever played Ultima Online reads it and laughs, since it is still funny to me: http://spla.sh/bp/roleplaying_files/bone2.htm

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 30, 2007

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

new strip up

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
New comic up!

Edit: Beaten because I took the time to make a copy. Probably useless, since the site doesn't seem to go down every time a new comic goes up these days.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Quarex posted:

And I swear Erfworld could be great if they just wrote it more frequently and people appreciated that the "stupid Internet meme bullshit" is all brilliantly and hilariously interwoven with the very nature of the comic's world.
The next time Erfworld updates I swear I'm going to write it down, so I can keep track of

A) how long it takes for the next one

B) how many strips OotS releases in the interval

C) how many strips of Achewood Onstad releases in the interval

Look for me to report back on this in about three months, give or take.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Grief does strange things to people.

HAW!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure he's going for "Rapid exhale of breath with a slight note of panic", which is very close to "Haw", but I'm not sure how you'd write it to show the difference.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Did I call the half-orc thing or what?!?

I'm also gonna say that she's probably related to Thog, somehow.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bobulus posted:

I'm pretty sure he's going for "Rapid exhale of breath with a slight note of panic", which is very close to "Haw", but I'm not sure how you'd write it to show the difference.

I figured it was just because of his druidic connection to the animal spirits. He's learned to associate grief with ponys.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

Did I call the half-orc thing or what?!?

I'm also gonna say that she's probably related to Thog, somehow.

Because all half-orcs are related, right? That's racist, dude. That's racist.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Quarex posted:

Re-edit: In fact, just because in my mind nothing in the entire history of gaming webcomics will ever beat this single strip for perfectly nailing a gaming situation, I am going to link it and hope that everyone who ever played Ultima Online reads it and laughs, since it is still funny to me: http://spla.sh/bp/roleplaying_files/bone2.htm

I laughed out loud at "do panethrs haev hidez" and I'm going to find some way to work that into a conversation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

HAW!
The Goblins guy really has a thing for characters with a half-weird face.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Because all half-orcs are related, right? That's racist, dude. That's racist.

Well, since Thog is Roy´s evil mirror twin it would make sense for him to have a sister as well.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Dammit Who? posted:

HAW!

That's even odder if you imagine his legs are disappearing below the knee, too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I AM SALUTATORIAN ... NO MORE!

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, Goblins is interesting in that it clearly tries to make its sound effects closer to "realistic" and farther from "standard comic sound effects." It does not always work, but sometimes it is a lot more effective since you actually hear the sounds (he does crying pretty well, I think). Not so much with "HAW!" :haw: though it could be worse. "HEEEE!!!!!"

bolda posted:

I laughed out loud at "do panethrs haev hidez" and I'm going to find some way to work that into a conversation.

Hahahah. I hope you work the misspellings into it, too. I am just going to try to find a way to stop laughing every time I read "fethers" in that strip.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Goblins guy really has a thing for characters with a half-weird face.

I hope you are not counting the poor goblin with "MONSTER" etched into his forehead with a knife :(

Kojiro posted:

Hahahaha.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Quarex posted:

I hope you are not counting the poor goblin with "MONSTER" etched into his forehead with a knife :(
I'd almost forgotten about that. Goblins doesn't pull punches. :(

Kojiro posted:

He foolishly misused the Passwall spell.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Schwarzwald posted:

That's something I like about Goblins- the creator appears to have no compunctions about just killing off a character when it's appropriate.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I don't like where the current strip is going. Another romance subplot with Elan, where he doesn't realize someone's attracted to him? Only this time it's an enemy. Meh. I'd really like for Rich to not spend another 6 months wrapping up the Azure City crap just to get the gang back together, adventuring again, like they should be.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Schwarzwald posted:

Pope Guilty posted:

That's something I like about Goblins- the creator appears to have no compunctions about just killing off a character when it's appropriate.

Yeah, he really has a great thing going in that regard--characters die on a semi-regular basis, and sometimes even important ones. That was why, in that oh-poo poo-are-you-kidding last panel of the first part of the Big Ears-Saral Caine fight, when the final strip was Saral Caine chopping Big Ears in the head for the first time, I genuinely believed that was the end of him. And it really hit me. I was so excited that I cared enough about Big Ears to feel it in my GUT when he was killed.

Then, of course, we all know how that went, but it was made far more effective since he COULD have just killed him off, as that is his style.

(Subsequent big block of random text notwithstanding)

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Quarex posted:

Yeah, he really has a great thing going in that regard--characters die on a semi-regular basis, and sometimes even important ones. That was why, in that oh-poo poo-are-you-kidding last panel of the first part of the Big Ears-Saral Caine fight, when the final strip was Saral Caine chopping Big Ears in the head for the first time, I genuinely believed that was the end of him. And it really hit me. I was so excited that I cared enough about Big Ears to feel it in my GUT when he was killed.

Then, of course, we all know how that went, but it was made far more effective since he COULD have just killed him off, as that is his style.

(Subsequent big block of random text notwithstanding)

Unfortunately those 2 were the first.. and last, Goblins strips I will ever read. Ave to head, text for ages, transformation to Tron Paladin Goblin. Not a great place to start and it turned me off wanting to follow it, or read back at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I've always wanted to do this :dance: New comic up!