Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Sounds like 'Genesis' by VNV Nation. I have the C92 Remix and it has a sample of an astronaut saying '...and God created heaven and the earth, and God said... let there be light.'
I don't know if I would describe VNV Nation as "gabba-ish techno" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

Hey all, I was hoping that you could figure out the name of this artist based on my vague description.

For any Colorado goons, I hear her on 97.3 KBCO. She's a woman and she plays piano and her band name isn't her real name. I believe its also one word. It's not really my music but I wanted to get the CD for my mom.

Sorry I don't have more info, I just need your help.

Hmm, maybe St. Vincent? She's awesome. :)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Floodixor posted:

Hmm, maybe St. Vincent? She's awesome. :)

She's awesome but she mostly plays guitar and I can't imagine she got airplay on that station anyway. Most AAA is not that alternative yet.

eclipse9
Dec 20, 2005

Am I a sad sack?
This is really weird, but there's a midi playing in this thread (it's heavy on flash) and I can't figure out what the song is. I've heard it before. Not the Inspector Gadget theme, the one behind it. Does anyone know what it is?

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
"Having An Average Weekend" by Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet (aka the "Kids in the Hall theme")

eclipse9
Dec 20, 2005

Am I a sad sack?
Oh god that's it. Thank you, it was bugging me so much.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Socket Ryanist posted:

I don't know if I would describe VNV Nation as "gabba-ish techno" though

I agree, but the remix I mentioned could probably be described as such.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I heard this song where the start of the chorus went along the lines "hey michael, hey jesus" and then in the chorus there was more singing of "love your brother, love your mama", something like that.
Sounded a bit like Boston, although I'm very sure it wasn't them. It was less glam, a bit more hippy although I wouldn't say it was hippy.
It was a really catchy song, I hope it's not some kind of christian rock.

Rabbi Dan
Oct 26, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY CREEPY FACEBOOK APP FOR STALKING GIRLS I DON'T KNOW
I just heard a really good acoustic version of "How Far We've Come" (Matchbox 20) on the radio and I can't find it anywhere online. It sounded like Rob Thomas but maybe it was someone else covering. Does anyone know where I can find this? Thanks.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

lastclearchance posted:

She's awesome but she mostly plays guitar and I can't imagine she got airplay on that station anyway. Most AAA is not that alternative yet.

Thanks, I'll check her out. The DJ said she was a new act if that helps. I keep on wanting to think that it was Feist because they play her so much but from what I've heard of her I don't think so. Plus, I knew who Feist was before I heard the song and I'm sure that would have stuck.

Edit: Did a song search for random times since the day I heard it its too far back to search and "A Fine Frenzy" is ringing a mean bell.

Edit Part Deux: Yeah, this is her. Thanks for the help guys.

Skrill.exe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 3, 2007

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy
This one has been in my head lately:

This song would have been late 80' or early 90's, it is a dance song that would have been on hot compilations of the day and stuff like that, that is to say it's not very obscure or anything. I don't recall any of the lyrics, but the opening goes something like "duh-duh *Oww* dunt-dun-deh dun-deh-dun-deh duh-duh *Oww*" the Oww is pretty distinctive I'd say. Can anybody help me?

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

This song would have been late 80' or early 90's, it is a dance song that would have been on hot compilations of the day and stuff like that, that is to say it's not very obscure or anything. I don't recall any of the lyrics, but the opening goes something like "duh-duh *Oww* dunt-dun-deh dun-deh-dun-deh duh-duh *Oww*" the Oww is pretty distinctive I'd say. Can anybody help me?

EMF's "Unbelieveable"?

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

Bolkovr posted:

EMF's "Unbelieveable"?

Nope, that's not it. The opening is just a keyboard playing the notes, they do the oww thing, then the beat kicks in. Thank you though!

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
Man, I know exactly what song you're talking about but I can't recall the name of it. Now it's driving me crazy too because there really was no lyrics for it.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

This is "Everybody Everybody" by Blackbox. One of my favorite songs since fifth grade ^^

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
I've been hearing this song on the local college radio station and for the life of me I can't find who it's sung by or the name of the song. It has a triple beat going on with how the singer (female, kind of sounds like the lead singer of The Ditty Bops) sings and she's playing an acoustic guitar. She sings the lines "take this job and shove it" and how she's gone like a ghost and heading to the coast. I can't remember the rest of it and it's driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure it's a modern indie song since it's getting played on the college station.

theWalrus
Jan 26, 2004

Just heard a song on Scrubs, grabbed a lyric from it and tried Google but it gives me a band called RockStarr and the lyrics to the song it says I want aren't the right lyrics at all.

Lyric I have is "When I watch you // Wanna do you // Right where you stand". The style of music was vaguely like The Coral, or The Strokes.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

blinkeve1826 posted:

This is "Everybody Everybody" by Blackbox. One of my favorite songs since fifth grade ^^

Hells yeah, that's the one! Thanks for the assistance!

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
A few years ago I was searching Limewire for "hardcore techno" or something like that, and I came across this song called BEST GODDAMN RAVE SONG. It turned out to be a cool trance song, and it's been kind of a cult hit with my friends for the past 4 years or so. I haven't really tried searching for whoever composed it..until now.

http://www.myspace.com/bblebsakamegarapstar

Listen to it there. Does anyone know who really wrote this song? It's been a mystery to me and my friends for years!

Retroboy
Jul 12, 2006

Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Tostito posted:

A few years ago I was searching Limewire for "hardcore techno" or something like that, and I came across this song called BEST GODDAMN RAVE SONG. It turned out to be a cool trance song, and it's been kind of a cult hit with my friends for the past 4 years or so. I haven't really tried searching for whoever composed it..until now.

http://www.myspace.com/bblebsakamegarapstar

Listen to it there. Does anyone know who really wrote this song? It's been a mystery to me and my friends for years!

Im pretty sure its a variation of Airscape - L'esperanza.

No idea what remix it is though. Possibly Armin Van Buuren?

*Edit - Yup its the Armin Van Buuren Rising Star Mix.

Retroboy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 5, 2007

Hamburger Legs
Mar 9, 2004

"COACH I feel like I might die out here. I cant take any more soda." "What a boy needs in this situation Jimmy is CHIPS, much better f
I can't believe I'm asking this, but I need help finding a nerd-rap song/performer. I want to say her name is Peggy Savage, or something like that, and she sings this song that goes something like "I need me a homie, to play mana with me. I plug in the super-multitap accessory etc etc etc..." and it has this sample of a cat meowing just interspersed in it constantly. It's pretty much horrible, but I can't get it out of my head. I remember hearing it on some random radio station on the net. Then I remember finding her myspace and listening to it there, but I can't for the life of me find anything about it any more. Please goons, this nerd needs help with some nerd-rap, so pimp my nerd.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good

Retroboy posted:

Im pretty sure its a variation of Airscape - L'esperanza.

No idea what remix it is though. Possibly Armin Van Buuren?

*Edit - Yup its the Armin Van Buuren Rising Star Mix.

Thank you so much!! I can die happy!

I'm gonna get the original mix to this song, too.

network.guy
Jun 20, 2004

What's the Brazilian song at about 10% of this clip?

http://beohm.com/dreamspaces/DreamspacesBrasilia.mp4

Thanks!

global gobby goon
Jun 22, 2007

Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven;
lower your eyelids to die with the sun.
I heard a song at school today and could only catch snippets of the lyrics because of the noise, but does anyone know of a song that starts off with a guy repeating something like "oh(sounded like "row" actually i suppose), ahh" and then some other guy is singing something like "going to save the world again" and "wanted to be the best in the show"

Thanks!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

BlueYoda posted:

Years ago my friend bought a lighter that played a loop of a stupid raver song when he'd light it. He thought it was hilarious and kept using it for months until the batteries ran out.

I ripped the song out of a movie I have from one of his birthdays; please help me identify it so I can fill his answering machine with it while he's away on vacation.

The Vengaboys - Kiss (When The Sun Don't Shine).
I'm not a fan, I just googled the few lyrics I could make out :sweatdrop:

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
I've got two obscure ones.

1. It's a song by The Beastie Boys and the lyrics are about time travelling.

2. The second is a song that is part of the mix in 'Space Hos' by Danger Doom. It also features in the British show Spaced if that's any help, it's in the scene where Daisy is chatting up a guy and asks him to pull her finger.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
This could be a longshot since I heard it on the local French station, and it was a German song...

I think the group's name may have been something like 'Ein ____ Prinsessen' (or maybe not at all), it was a girl singing (in german), and I think the french dj said it was about her getting on a bus with no ticket, getting in trouble and meeting a guy. I don't understand German very well at all, but liked the song.

Tomdickandharry
Apr 21, 2006
The custom title is literal and will be posted just as you type it unless changes are deemed necessary.
Got an obscure one.

I heard a few rap verses the other day on a mix show that really caught my ear. The guy sounded a bit like Eminem in his style, but he sounded black. He said something along the lines of "women always say that I'm rude, so buy my albums and i'll be in a better mood."

The song was pretty funny and really catchy, and I've been looking around the web for it.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

This is possibly a longshot, but here goes.

The song I'm looking for probably does have lyrics, but the only part I can remember is the introduction, which is instrumental. I believe it was used in The Blues Brothers, but I know it was used a few times in the first series of family guy. I remember it plays in the episode with the pope, in specific, the point where he is getting off of the plane and the guy is warming up the crowd for him. Any ideas?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Captain_Indigo posted:

The song I'm looking for probably does have lyrics, but the only part I can remember is the introduction, which is instrumental. I believe it was used in The Blues Brothers, but I know it was used a few times in the first series of family guy. I remember it plays in the episode with the pope, in specific, the point where he is getting off of the plane and the guy is warming up the crowd for him. Any ideas?
Uh, any idea what it sounds like?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Socket Ryanist posted:

Uh, any idea what it sounds like?

Well, its kind of hard to explain. Admittedly I'm not amazingly musical. Its sort of 'boppy' and I think there are some brass instruments in it. The opening is a very repetitive short bit of bass, which after a while suddenly bursts into a much higher pitched brass section. Hope that helps.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Captain_Indigo posted:

This is possibly a longshot, but here goes.

Is it the tune that sounds like gameshow music? Horns/trumpets going 'dun dun dun daaaaaaa-da-da-daa. Duh-duh-duh-duh daaa-daaaa da-da da.'

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Yep thats the one!

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Yep thats the one!

Sounds like it could be Herb Alpert or something, but can't help you beyond that.

e: I'm almost positive it's in Blues Brothers, but not the soundtrack.

e:Blues Brothers - Cant Turn You Loose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vsvoZ_NawA

Pweller fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 10, 2007

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

It's not "can't turn you loose" is it?

edit: gently caress!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
From the Blues Brothers, its probably the Peter Gunn Theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpwTsdIi5jM&feature=related

Xzoto
Nov 26, 2007

by angerbotSD
If someone can seriously figure out what song this is, they are simply amazing.

This is going to be pretty vague. I first heard this song when I woke up in my cabin after a heavy night of boozing over half a year ago and with my eyes half open, I was listening to this song. It has been bugging me ever since I first heard it. Anyways, here is the description.

The song was slower and it involved an acoustic. There was one main singer and a few background singers. Parts of the lyrics had something to do with friends or "friends forever" or "friends like these" or something. It was all guy singers as well. It went something like this...

"Because friends like these last forever...."

I guess they sounded sort of like Hedley or Yellowcard. I could be wrong though...

cheeseboy
Jun 17, 2005

cheeeeeeese
I am wondering if anyone can help me identify a song based on its music video. The video is kinda low budget and grainy and it is about a guy and a girl in a field who pretend to shoot each other and then pretend to die. The singer is female and it is a folky song. That's all I can remember. :(

Etz
Jan 28, 2006
Rap song from a less-known rapper (I'm pretty sure) that has the line: i'll be sniffin roofies with George Clooney

I wish I could provide more info but that's all that stood out in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suitcase
Jul 9, 2005

by Peatpot
If anyone find out the name of this song, I will give you :10bux:. I am not kidding. I've been looking for this song since I first heard it in the summer of 2005 on a local hip-hop radio station. The only part of the song that I remember clearly was the chorus that went like this:

"Hey Baybaaaaay (Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey)

I wanna do somethin' tonight

Hey Baybaaaaaaay ()"

The parts in the () are where a girl says something. The rapper kind of sounds like Notorious BIG, but im pretty sure it isn't him. The only other thing that I remember about the song is a part that sounded like Fatman Scoop saying

"Hit the walls, Hit the walls, Hit the walls"

The song itself doesn't have a normal hip-hop beat to it, as it kind of sounds like a mix between reggaeton, techno, and hip-hop, if that makes any sense.