Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

RSPsych0 posted:

Yes, this is why I bought the firewire box. He was saying I could do it with USB.

The latency was poo poo with the XT Live because it was USB 1. The X3 Live is USB 2, and should be okay. That said, I haven't tried mine out yet for live recording because my studio comp isn't connected to the internet and Line 6 wants you to do all the installation poo poo while connected. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Yep, just tried monitoring and playing through the X3 Live using Sonar, and there was no noticeable latency.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mofolotopo posted:

Yep, just tried monitoring and playing through the X3 Live using Sonar, and there was no noticeable latency.

Oh well.

I like the M-Audio, anyway. I'm sure I'll find a use for it. :)

Luxowell
Mar 2, 2007

el Trentoro posted:

Anyone familiar with these? I need a good solid workhorse bass, I've wasted so much money on fancy-looking-but-fragile-and-lovely instruments, and the Jaguar is SO drat SEXY...

EEK!
Am I too late?
Ahem...
My friend has one (but red, because red always sounds better) and I've had a chance to play it through the same stack I play my Fender Jazz Deluxe through. Honestly? Sound about the same. The weight and feel is a bit different though. I think having a Fender J with active pickups so i have the 3 tone control on the guitar gives me pretty much the same options.

That said, I think its a drat sweet looking guitar, but the guys earlier are 1/2 right. If you're some show-boat prick, it'll add to that look. But if you're a laid back bass player, it can look drat sweet too. To me, its one of those things that can make you look real good... or REEEEEAL bad.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mofolotopo posted:

How do you monitor with Sonar? I have it, but I've never used it for audio.

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...

Agreed posted:

Well, I'm a Sennheiser nerd from the headphones angle (HD650 represent), and I really, really like the design of the mic, so I definitely want to pick one up as soon as cashflow allows. Think you'll be selling yours eventually, or is it one of those mics that's always good to have around even when replaced?

Nope, its one I am going to be hanging on to. Anyways, the 441 is like 900 bucks so thats not in my near future.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

RSPsych0 posted:

How do you monitor with Sonar? I have it, but I've never used it for audio.

The pod is acting as your sound card, so just plug your monitors/speakers/headphones into it.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Spaceship Zero posted:

The pod is acting as your sound card, so just plug your monitors/speakers/headphones into it.

Yep, just set it up as your soundcard and set Sonar to monitor through it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Does anybody know of an online resource with in-depth neck pocket measurements for Fender Jazzmasters and Stratocasters? I wanna build a Strat with a JM neck, but want to make sure it's going to work before I go all out and start buying parts.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
What's the difference between a Strat neck and a JM neck? They look the same.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
A bit of craigslist shopping today netted me (no camera ATM, so no pics):

KMD RP-150A PA Amp
Casio CT-607 keyboard (wonky power socket, figure I could resolder the connector and then circuit bend the poo poo out of it)
Internals to a 1971 Carvin B1600 Bass Master amp head (dunno why the guy removed it from the cabinet. He said it works fine, but for some reason it isn't grounding properly)
All for $50

Also for $50:
Korg N5 Synthesizer

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 2, 2007

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

the wizards beard posted:

What's the difference between a Strat neck and a JM neck? They look the same.

Besides the headstock, Strats are wider at the nut and have a larger fretboard radius. That said, I have no idea if the pockets are compatible.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Strat & Jazzmaster necks are interhangeable (same pocket shape & scale length) - as mentioned, the difference is in the headstock shape (slightly longer/larger), board radius (always 7.25"; some new Strats are flatter) and nut dimension (a few mm narrower).

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
And I suppose a CIJ JM neck would fit onto an American Highway One Strat body?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
It should, yes. I've only run into CIJ/MIA mismatches with things like pickguards and bridge holes, etc - the neck swaps I've done have been fine.

Placebo Messiah
Jan 1, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of asparagus
my latest love:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Placebo Messiah posted:

my latest love:

drat that's pretty. What is it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
:hellyeah:

gently caress you Bartolini, it's Nordstrand time.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anybody know where I can find some snapshots of the internal wiring structure of old Fender Esquires?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
http://www.tdpri.com/wiringESQUIRE.htm

(first google result for "esquire wiring diagram", lucky for you I just like electronics so I was curious too :))

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ReverendHammer posted:

Also for $50:
Korg N5 Synthesizer

Holy crap... nice score.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

ReverendHammer posted:

Also for $50:
Korg N5 Synthesizer

You jerk. I want that.

Craigslist sucks in my county (Ventura County). Pretty much everyone selling their poo poo asks for a crazy unreasonable price. I mean, come the gently caress on. The bluebook value for that guy's guitar is $1800 if it's in absolutely flawless condition. Nobody here EVER prices poo poo to move it. It always seems to be (1) the person doesn't know the value of what they have or they have some idea (2) they severely overestimate the value of what they have (they think if they barely use something, it's worth pretty much the same as it cost them new) and (3) they refuse to go lower. You never ever come across poo poo for great deals.

Los Angeles, on the other hand, has crazy good deals, and it seems like 200 new listings are posted for the Musical Instrument section daily. The drives can suck, though.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Col.Kiwi posted:

http://www.tdpri.com/wiringESQUIRE.htm

(first google result for "esquire wiring diagram", lucky for you I just like electronics so I was curious too :))

I found that too, but moreover I'm interested in seeing exactly how all four of the caps are physically wired together.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Handen posted:

I found that too, but moreover I'm interested in seeing exactly how all four of the caps are physically wired together.
Oh, okay. I was able to find this: http://www.grguitars.com/Parts_5Tele%20replmnt.htm which has a photo of a pre-wired Esquire control plate (just a little down the page). The photo isn't that big unfortunately but I couldn't find anything else.

Just curious, what do you get out of a photo (I assumed that by "physically" that's what you meant) which you can't see in a diagram? I always find it harder to tell what's going on in actual photos, even when they're a good resolution. Hopefully you can find something better than what I did :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

VICTORY

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

warwick5s posted:

VICTORY

Ahh, very nice.

How's she sound?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Much more aggressive and growly, tighter low end...sound a lot like the Nordstrands single coils I have in my Jazz, but "bigger." Normally when a pickup gets bigger sounding it loses that depth and growl though, and these certainly don't. The Barts were pillowy and polite compared to these...couldn't be happier.

(These are the Nordstrand Big Singles, by the way.)

So now do I go 100% Nordstrand and throw a PJ set into my Fender P-Special? :neckbeard:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Col.Kiwi posted:

Oh, okay. I was able to find this: http://www.grguitars.com/Parts_5Tele%20replmnt.htm which has a photo of a pre-wired Esquire control plate (just a little down the page). The photo isn't that big unfortunately but I couldn't find anything else.

Just curious, what do you get out of a photo (I assumed that by "physically" that's what you meant) which you can't see in a diagram? I always find it harder to tell what's going on in actual photos, even when they're a good resolution. Hopefully you can find something better than what I did :)

The Esquire has like three capacitors wired together in a circle and another one off somewhere else doing its own thing, so I'm looking to see how short the lead wires from each cap should be cut to so they aren't touching any of the other components and shorting something somewhere, or whether there was some shrink tubing involved or whatnot. I'm no pro solderer and I don't wanna mess this up and have to buy another $50 capacitor kit and I don't wanna take it into a tech. Thanks for your help though. :)

Also slightly more on topic I'm trading the Seymour Duncan STKT2 Stack I had in the bridge of my Tele (which was great for chunk, but piss-poor for slide) for a Duncan JB model full sized humbucker for my black '51 with someone on the Harmony Central forum, and I'll be using a Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickup in the Esquire configuration if I can find screws that fit the three pickup screwholes.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 4, 2007

Placebo Messiah
Jan 1, 2006

Engine Fortegue posted:

drat that's pretty. What is it?
744T from Sound Devices

It's (allegedly) the best field recorder money can buy.

I bought the surround-sound unit

Almost every high-end remote recording made for any major motion picture in the past 5 years was done on one of these. They're made of milled stainless, the LED's are made of tempered glass, and all the knobs are milled steel as well.

The mic pre-amps & converters are incredible, it runs off a sony handycam battery, has a 300gig drive (upgraded) inside and there's every interface you'll ever need incl firewire and a flashcard slot.

One of the coolest features is the way it records everything simultaneously to the flashcard while it's spooling to the drive, just in case something goes apeshit during production, you have 2 copies.

you can also gang any number of them together and word-lock, while the master unit takes wireless timecode from the cameras. During a shoot, the cameraman could actually remote control the pre-roll start and stop on these, assuming you have the intermediate hardware.

here's a *night-shot* ooooooooo das horny lights

here's a link to the Sound Devices blurb:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/744t.htm

and here's the link to what I'd like to plug into it:

http://www.soundfield.com/products/products.php

I also eat a lot of kraft dinner btw

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The bakelite pickguard for the Esquire conversion came in, looks good.

Also traded my BF-3 for one of these:

Albiet in a lot worse condition, it's the black screw MIJ model with the C in CE-2 under the R in "Chorus" if that tells you anything. And the battery compartment screw is metal and has a screwdriver slot. And the battery connector is broken. :o: It sounds so nice...

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The Novation Remote I ordered just came in today. It's pretty awesome so far. I mostly wanted it for controlling stuff in Reason and Live. The whole automap deal is pretty nice and the presets are all relatively logical so I haven't had to mess around too much with programming it yet. And there are enough buttons that paging through all the controls doesn't ever get too confusing.

With the little ramp doodads that attach to the bottom, it meshes up with my axiom very comfortably. I think I'm going to figure a way to have the controls on the keyboard set permanently to the software mixer and then use the Remote for controlling everything else.

:)

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 5, 2007

Placebo Messiah
Jan 1, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The Novation Remote I ordered just came in today. It's pretty awesome so far. I mostly wanted it for controlling stuff in Reason and Live. The whole automap deal is pretty nice and the presets are all relatively logical so I haven't had to mess around too much with programming it yet. And there are enough buttons that paging through all the controls doesn't ever get too confusing.

With the little ramp doodads that attach to the bottom, it meshes up with my axiom very comfortably. I think I'm going to figure a way to have the controls on the keyboard set permanently to the software mixer and then use the Remote for controlling everything else.

:)
oh cool

I've been pining away for a Mackie C4

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

I plan on getting a ZT Lunchbox when it comes out this coming spring:

That's the actual size (7" x 8" x 4"), and it's made out of an actual lunchbox. The little bastard puts out over 200 watts at over 120 decibels. At $200, I don't give a gently caress how it sounds, that's just too cool in my book.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

That's the actual size (7" x 8" x 4"), and it's made out of an actual lunchbox. The little bastard puts out over 200 watts at over 120 decibels. At $200, I don't give a gently caress how it sounds, that's just too cool in my book.

I saw the press release on Harmony Central this afternoon. When I saw the specs, the first words out of my mouth were "gently caress. ME. RUNNING."

I just hope it doesn't sound like complete and utter rear end, though.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Speaking of small amps, has anyone tried a pignose? How do they sound?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ReverendHammer posted:

They have some sounds clips on their website:

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/lunchbox2.html

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/future1.html

Sounds ok, but of course they wouldn't put bad sounding clips up to advertise it. The "cranked" larger one is a bit muddy though.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Mex posted:

Which Pignose are you talking about exactly? They make a few different ones. I have the original travel Pignose and it's a sweet little bitch. I wouldn't recommend buying it to fill any real use; it's not up to really filling any NEEDS a musician will have. But it's a nice little thing if you have your setup in one place and you just want to go play guitar on the back porch or whatever. The sound they put out is best for dirty blues and moderate rock (think AC/DC-levels of distortion, maximum). The pignose creates one of my favorite blues tones.

quote:

I saw the press release on Harmony Central this afternoon. When I saw the specs, the first words out of my mouth were "gently caress. ME. RUNNING."

Yeah. It seems like they've demo'd the amps with musicians that seem to like them. Seriously, though. $200. That price point has me stoked.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Mex posted:

I've got one of the Little Pignose 700's and it's very much a dirty little blues amp. The thing I like about it is you can vary the sound so much just by opening it up. One of the best sounds I've gotten from it was sitting on my bathroom bench with the back opened towards the mirror. Sweet bluesy reverb.

Better with single coils than humbuckers.

If I had a mic I'd do some sound clips.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

200 watts :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
So is there a difference between solid state wattage and tube wattage? Because I see very high wattages for some solid state combos. Are they just really that loud? Does that lunchbox shake while it goes? That'd be awesome.

Susano-maku da! fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 5, 2007