Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I am SO down for that lunchbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I am a total idiot who just killed most of his bank account for this:

A Fernandes Ravelle Elite. Comes with the Fernandes Sustainer. Can't wait to try it out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Susano-maku da! posted:

A Fernandes Ravelle Elite. Comes with the Fernandes Sustainer. Can't wait to try it out.

I didn't know what to think of it when I saw the first post, but this time, I have decided it's gorgeous. How does it play? Or have you not had an opportunity to use it yet?

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
Zappa's Black Napkins defines Pignose for me. http://youtube.com/watch?v=QJA1nRMyVxI That's the kind of sound you're looking at.

I ordered a Deluxe Memory Man on Monday and it shouldn't be long now until it arrives. I think they're based out of NYC and I'm only in Bergen county so that would account for the short wait.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Agreed posted:

I didn't know what to think of it when I saw the first post, but this time, I have decided it's gorgeous. How does it play? Or have you not had an opportunity to use it yet?

Not yet.

I got it for a ludicrously low price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320188991602&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Susano-maku da! posted:

Not yet.

I got it for a ludicrously low price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320188991602&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

Wow, that's priced like an Agile. Very nice deal. I wonder how it will feel? Definitely update when it gets in.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

Susano-maku da! posted:

Sup Sustainer buddy.

I have one in my Fernandes Monterey Elite. It was cool at first, but I don't like the feel of the guitar itself for some reason.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Susano-maku da! posted:

So is there a difference between solid state wattage and tube wattage? Because I see very high wattages for some solid state combos. Are they just really that loud? Does that lunchbox shake while it goes? That'd be awesome.

Solid state power amps can put out the power they're rated at. If you push them hard, you get nasty distortion as the tops of the waveforms get lopped off.

Tube power amps can put out more power than what they're rated at because when you push it you get a rounding, compressing distortion instead of nasty poo poo.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

vac posted:

Zappa's Black Napkins defines Pignose for me. http://youtube.com/watch?v=QJA1nRMyVxI That's the kind of sound you're looking at.

Sweet mother of God. That was beautiful.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Agreed posted:

Wow, that's priced like an Agile. Very nice deal. I wonder how it will feel? Definitely update when it gets in.

I'll definitely post a review or something, maybe some clips.

Until then, you can hear Reeves Gabrel play the Ravelle w/ Sustainer much better than I will:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/artist_demo.html

Placebo Messiah
Jan 1, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of asparagus

Susano-maku da! posted:

So is there a difference between solid state wattage and tube wattage? Because I see very high wattages for some solid state combos. Are they just really that loud? Does that lunchbox shake while it goes? That'd be awesome.

it's typically not whether there's different wattage, but there's 2 kinds of power measurements to display for any amplifier, depending on how honest the manufacturer is:

Peak Power (aka impulse) and RMS, sometimes called 'average power' or 'program'.

Peak Power is basically the maximum possible power displacement from one pure sinusoidal wave crest to the opposite crest, it's more often related to the maximum voltage the amp can generate for a short duration (how fast it can drain its capacitors).

RMS power is typically a more realistic measurement of sound power. RMS is basically the integral (area) inside (if I'm not mistaken) a full-spectrum waveform, aka whitenoise.

The average dynamics when your entire system is set to unity will hover around RMS power, assuming your speakers survive.

Tube amps will still clip, but they'll fuzz up and compress long before they clip out, so you can abuse them harder without sending dc-current to your speakers. Solidstate stuff has a natural compression curve too, it's just a bit more violent when it hits the wall.

Peak power is always way higher than RMS power, however, peak power doesn't always function the same way throughout the spectrum, and everything changes dramatically as you start adding more character to the wave.
[/pretentious nerd]

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Placebo Messiah posted:

RMS power is typically a more realistic measurement of sound power. RMS is basically the integral (area) inside (if I'm not mistaken) a full-spectrum waveform, aka whitenoise.
Not exactly. RMS is short for root mean square, and is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared values of a signal (not necessarily white noise). So for a signal represented by a continuous function f(x), you would integrate f(x)^2 over a certain period of time and average the result over the length of that period, then take the square root of that. RMS of a discrete signal is calculated similarly, but with a sum of squared discrete values instead of an integration of a squared function. So you're right that there's an integral involved, but that's a bit of an oversimplification.

As far as rating the output of an amplifier, the given rating is typically an average of the RMS power ratings across the amp's usable frequency range for a given THD value.

Placebo Messiah
Jan 1, 2006

ok I seem to have confused rms with something sort of related.

Would the rms power be the same value as the rectified output?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Placebo Messiah posted:

ok I seem to have confused rms with something sort of related.

Would the rms power be the same value as the rectified output?

Depends on how the term "rectified output" is being used.

In traditional terms using a sine wave for example, a positively rectified output would be the resultant output when the negative portion of the sine wave is clipped off and negatively rectified would be the inverse.

Really, rectified is a wave shape rather than a unit since you can measure the peak voltage or the RMS voltage of a rectified signal.

Placebo Messiah
Jan 1, 2006

Alright I guess I'm used to the regulated full wave rectified output on power supplies, but I'm not entirely sure how you'd do this to something with a spectrum since it doesn't seem possible to use a resonant transformer for regulating audio into DC.

anyway, I've derailed the crap out of this thread, maybe we need an even nerdier thread to shed light on the tech side.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
My new toy after 6 years of acoustic:

Ibanez GRG - I'm so excited!

I have an Ibanez PF acoustic and I absolutely love it, the neck on this electric feels almost the exact same, it's a perfect transition.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
I sold my Ibanez RG470 last night and used the money to buy myself a Martin DXC1E. Finally, I own an awesome sounding acoustic. Bye-bye, lovely Washburn! :)

The wood they used for the neck is really interesting looking as well.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

MarshallX posted:

My new toy after 6 years of acoustic:

Ibanez GRG - I'm so excited!

I have an Ibanez PF acoustic and I absolutely love it, the neck on this electric feels almost the exact same, it's a perfect transition.

I have a PF named Penelope, they're truly fantastic guitars especially considering their price point

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Drazzy posted:

I sold my Ibanez RG470 last night and used the money to buy myself a Martin DXC1E.

Congrats on getting an awesome acoustic but... I can't believe you sold that guitar. I have it and I honestly couldn't give it away after adding SD's and a better Floyd Rose trem!

I'm thinking about getting a Schecter C-1 semi-hollow with Piezo, but I simply can't afford it and possibly won't since I still have to buy presents for family and friends :gbsmith:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Oh gently caress I finally got that Moogerfooger EP-2 only to find out that it controls the pedal in reverse. It's got the opposite motion of a normal wah, treadle all the way forward and it's at the low end of the EQ spectrum, treadle all the way backwards and it gets the bright shine back. It's really unnerving and quite frankly I already wanna see what I can do to flip it around.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

It's really unnerving and quite frankly I already wanna see what I can do to flip it around.
My first thought is to open it up and move the wire from the outside lug of the pot to the other side (or, if both outer lugs are connected to things, switch them)

If it's an audio taper pot the sweep might act a bit funny but it's worth a shot.

I'm assuming, of course, that the pedal is sweeping a pot as these things typically do, but I can't say with any real certainty what's inside that box.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

My first thought is to open it up and move the wire from the outside lug of the pot to the other side (or, if both outer lugs are connected to things, switch them)

If it's an audio taper pot the sweep might act a bit funny but it's worth a shot.

I'm assuming, of course, that the pedal is sweeping a pot as these things typically do, but I can't say with any real certainty what's inside that box.

Yeah I'm not sure either, I'll have a look inside on the weekend BUT instead of the usual gear treadle in most wahs, y'know, the ones with the little teeth that fit into the little teeth of the part it slides on, it's got something hooked up to a string that keeps it at tension. Weird. Also, I've nearly already broken the part you stand on, which is totally plastic, unlike every wah pedal ever.

Maybe I should have done some research to find another, better and more sturdy expression pedal, but LAL suggested I use Moog products with the Cyber Psychic I purchased from them sooooo.... :confused:

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Which Pignose are you talking about exactly? They make a few different ones. I have the original travel Pignose and it's a sweet little bitch. I wouldn't recommend buying it to fill any real use; it's not up to really filling any NEEDS a musician will have. But it's a nice little thing if you have your setup in one place and you just want to go play guitar on the back porch or whatever. The sound they put out is best for dirty blues and moderate rock (think AC/DC-levels of distortion, maximum). The pignose creates one of my favorite blues tones.

Yeah, the small one. Think it'd work for playing on the streets?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I just wanted to warn you fuckers I just got the job I wanted so in a few short months I will be buying toys to post too because I am very jealous of some of your toys!!!

:rock: :toot: :rock:

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I've always wanted one of these, and my grandma sent me a ton of cash for Christmas, so...

(click for big)

Now I just have to learn how to play it.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Drazzy posted:

The wood they used for the neck is really interesting looking as well.

Haha, it's made of plywood! Looks really cool and is probably more stable than ordinary wood. I've never seen that before.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

There's no way in hell there's a Martin guitar with a plywood neck, that's impossible

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Engine Fortegue posted:

There's no way in hell there's a Martin guitar with a plywood neck, that's impossible

It's called Stratabond and yeah, technically it's a plywood albeit a very nice one.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
It's a lower-end Martin, but it's nicer than any acoustic I've ever owned. This guitar is leaps and bounds better than my Washburn that it replaced. Plywood or not, this thing sounds loving amazing.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Drazzy posted:

It's a lower-end Martin, but it's nicer than any acoustic I've ever owned. This guitar is leaps and bounds better than my Washburn that it replaced. Plywood or not, this thing sounds loving amazing.

That sounds pretty weird. Plywood, seriously? Can you post how it sounds?

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

Mex posted:

That sounds pretty weird. Plywood, seriously? Can you post how it sounds?

Here's a quick recording from guitar to computer. It has a bit of reverb on it, but no other effects. To be honest, the recording sounds like poo poo, as I'm doing it through a piece of crap effects pedal.

http://media.putfile.com/acoustic-34

Drazzy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 7, 2007

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Drazzy posted:

Here's a quick recording from guitar to computer. It has a bit of reverb on it, but no other effects. To be honest, the recording sounds like poo poo, as I'm doing it through a piece of crap effects pedal.

http://media.putfile.com/acoustic-34

Daymn :O

And the playing is pretty good too. Nice.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
My parents just got back from Hawaii, and they brought this sweet ukulele with them. As far as I can tell it's all koa, and it looks fantastic. These pictures don't really capture how nice the wood is. I have no clue how to play ukulele properly, but I'm gonna give it a try. Can't be too hard, since I'm already used to playing guitar.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Boss DF-2 Super Feedbacker/Distortion

It is, sadly, a disappointment to me so far.

Turn the pedal on and it works like a Boss DS-2. Hold the pedal down and the LED will flash and hold the last note you play as controlled feedback.

It sounds great in concept (and in demonstration, as noted by Boris' awesome use of the pedals) but then I realized that the note held is not affected by other effects very well. It could be its place in the chain, but when I turned it on prior to my Proco Rat, all it did was make everything sound muddy.

Hopefully the Ravelle will change things. I'll keep trying different stuff (there HAS to be a way to make it sound like what Boris does with it), but the pedal feels more like a gimmick than an actual tool right now.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

Mex posted:

Daymn :O

And the playing is pretty good too. Nice.

Hey, thanks! My mom bought me a USB audio interface for Christmas, but I don't get to use it 'till then. After Christmas, I promise I'll record something of higher quality to prove this guitars awesomeness.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Without a doubt, THIS is going to be my next guitar purchase.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Oh, if only...

I've decided my next guitar will be one of these (or at least a PGM of some sort) no matter how much cash it takes to buy it. :swoon: Ibanez's 100th anniversary or whatever is coming up too, maybe they'll release another sexy PGM.

The Borg
Aug 19, 2007
Resistance Is Futile

canoshiz posted:

Oh, if only...

I've decided my next guitar will be one of these (or at least a PGM of some sort) no matter how much cash it takes to buy it. :swoon: Ibanez's 100th anniversary or whatever is coming up too, maybe they'll release another sexy PGM.

This is a beautiful guitar, how much is it?

One day I'd like to try this out.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

The Borg posted:

This is a beautiful guitar, how much is it?

One day I'd like to try this out.

Ebay says it's about $2k USD. :smithicide:
But yeah, this particular model (PGM90th) was a limited edition for Ibanez's 90th anniversary back in 1998, so that's probably why. I saw this guitar for the first time about two weeks ago and have been obsessing over it ever since. Jemsite users might have some PGMs for sale, as well. Hopefully Ibanez releases a cooler PGM model this coming year :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

canoshiz posted:

Oh, if only...

Like canoshiz said, check out the Jemsite forums for possible PGMs, but don't miss the Racer X forums, too. They've always got PGMs listed.

A buddy of mine has one, and it's a sweet playing thing, for sure.

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 2, 2019