Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

canoshiz posted:

Oh, if only...

I've decided my next guitar will be one of these (or at least a PGM of some sort) no matter how much cash it takes to buy it. :swoon: Ibanez's 100th anniversary or whatever is coming up too, maybe they'll release another sexy PGM.

I have to say... I appreciate Paul Gilbert as a guitarist, and that guitar is drat sexy, but the position of the volume control would drive me up the loving wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I actually prefer to switch the positions of volume and tone knobs on my own guitars. Both of my RGs have undergone this modification.

Herr Roboto
Jul 20, 2006

by Ozma
Today I bought something on ebay.

A Starfield Altair SJ Special.
I haven't chosen a name yet, but "Edel Nutte" is pretty high up on my name-list(because it wasn't cheap and it's sexy as hell)
I'll post better pics as soon as I get it.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I picked up 2 effects units off ebay in November, but lacked a camera to take pics until now.

Korg Ampworks (Amazing condition)
The different heads and cabs all sound very different to each other, and similar enough to what they're modelling. The gain and EQ controls are very responsive, and you can get quite a few decent tones out of this thing. The effects aren't that good, because you can't really modify them that much. You also get a LOT of noise when you turn the gain up, or use some of the effects. I paid $50 including shipping

Digitech PDS1550 (Pretty beat up, but working perfectly)
A distortion pedal with 2 channels and a bypass. Channel A has a solid sound and you can get some good rhythm, and cutting lead tones out of it. Channel B is actually very low gain, and only breaks up at the very highest gain levels. I've been using Channel B as a kind of a booster into my amp, and using my amps distortion. I've managed to get a few good sounds out of it, but I still need to play around with it more to learn the control better. Also paid $50 including shipping.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
So I just wired a Killswitch into my Telecaster/Esquire only to find out the SPST momentary push switches that I bought are normally open, but it said nowhere on the package that they are normally open. In fact none of the packages of SPST switches at Radioshack are marked as normally open or closed so I'd be buying blind.

Or am I loving it up? One post gets soldered to the ground and the other gets soldered to the hot output, right? Then I'd need a normally closed switch, right? One that opens (kills the signal) when I press it, right? It worked in reverse, instead of grounding the signal when the switch is pushed, it's grounded when it isn't pushed and then I can only get the signal from the guitar to come through when it is pushed.

Fuuucck.

:o:

Phish Phriday
Sep 18, 2007
Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind, seem to get lost and harder to find
My new guitar is a Gibson Firebird VII in Red Metallic that I'm getting for christmas, I'm so loving pumped and it sounds badass with its three mini-humbuckers.

The Borg
Aug 19, 2007
Resistance Is Futile

Phish Phriday posted:

My new guitar is a Gibson Firebird VII in Red Metallic that I'm getting for christmas, I'm so loving pumped and it sounds badass with its three mini-humbuckers.

That is a beautiful guitar. I was seriously considering getting the Epiphone model of this (I wish I had the money for a Gibson...), but instead I think I'm going to get an Epiphone Dot.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

One post gets soldered to the ground and the other gets soldered to the hot output, right?
Right.

quote:

Then I'd need a normally closed switch, right? One that opens (kills the signal) when I press it, right?
No, This is done with a normally open switch. When you press the button (close) it connects hot to ground and shorts the output.

quote:

It worked in reverse, instead of grounding the signal when the switch is pushed, it's grounded when it isn't pushed and then I can only get the signal from the guitar to come through when it is pushed.
Sounds like you've got a normally closed switch. You could put it inline with the hot output to break that connection, but that's not a good way to go about things. It would be better to get a normally open switch and use it to short the jack as above, since a floating output would be very succeptible to picking up noise.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Phish Phriday posted:

Wow, I wish I got ~$2000 guitars for Christmas :smith:

Anyway, as for my newest gear purchase, a Presonus FP-10. Finally, as soon as I can find a drummer and get another $300 worth of microphones, my stuff won't sound so fake :haw:

Fade to White
Nov 2, 2007

not exactly new to me, but I've had it for about 6 months. It's a kit of a 80w fender tweed twin. Sounds killer clean and when pushed.

Phish Phriday
Sep 18, 2007
Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind, seem to get lost and harder to find

hamaien posted:

Wow, I wish I got ~$2000 guitars for Christmas :smith:

Anyway, as for my newest gear purchase, a Presonus FP-10. Finally, as soon as I can find a drummer and get another $300 worth of microphones, my stuff won't sound so fake :haw:

So do I, I just happened to luck out on it. I got the 20% off Black Friday discount and an additional discount because it was a floor model from Providence, RI they shipped to my Guitar Center. The manager ended up being able to sell it at $900.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

Right.

No, This is done with a normally open switch. When you press the button (close) it connects hot to ground and shorts the output.

Sounds like you've got a normally closed switch. You could put it inline with the hot output to break that connection, but that's not a good way to go about things. It would be better to get a normally open switch and use it to short the jack as above, since a floating output would be very succeptible to picking up noise.

Thanks for clearing this up, I always appreciate your help Chows. :)

It works like a charm now... With the minor exception of a mild popping sound when the button is pressed in, you wouldn't happen to know anything about anti-shock circuits such as the following, would you? Specifically relating to whether or not I could place it between the output from the SPST switch to the ground with similar optimizing effects, no?

Also here's the result of this weekend's work.

That's the cheap 1986 Telecaster I found on eBay that had been shot, which I later sanded down. Remember a while back I posted that I had purchased the Seymour Duncan STK-2B Lead Stack for Tele? Well it sounded like poo poo, especially with slide, so I thought I'd revert back to the stock pickup before remembering I had found that "broken" Fender Samarium Cobalt pickup for $12, so I threw it in there. Add a bakelite Esquire pickguard and a set of NOS 1950's Esquire components:

code:
1 x new old stock 3.3k Bradley Allen carbon composition resistor
3 x new old stock .05uf 100v Cornell Dubilier capacitors
I had to buy a new volume pot because the other one had some minor problems. I used the following wiring diagram, modified from 3-Way/Volume/Tone to Volume/Tone/3-Way for easier access to the volume knob:

I wish though that I had used the schematic that had the Volume Only/Volume+Tone/Tone only configuration as opposed to the Tone only/Volume Only/Volume+Tone because of the ease of switching one direction for a specific tone gradient.

But holy poo poo, in the tone bypass or full volume mode this guitar has more harmonic intricacies than any guitar I've ever played. Considering how lovely it sounded beforehand and how much better it is now I'd recommend something like this to anyone who's not too fond of their Tele's sound but would rather hang on to it than get rid of it.

:waycool:

Edit: I almost forgot, you can see the killswitch on the pickguard between the bridge plate and the control plate. When drilling through the pickguard I missed the neck wire route and had to widen it a little, but no serious harm done.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 11, 2007

Tokyo Drifter
Dec 6, 2005

Man if I had the money to burn I would be all over this:

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

Thanks for clearing this up, I always appreciate your help Chows. :)

It works like a charm now... With the minor exception of a mild popping sound when the button is pressed in, you wouldn't happen to know anything about anti-shock circuits such as the following, would you? Specifically relating to whether or not I could place it between the output from the SPST switch to the ground with similar optimizing effects, no?

I actually got bored and did a killswitch a while back, and I can tell you that mine pops slightly as well. I suspect it's simply due to the mechanics in the switch and I don't have a good solution off the top of my head. You might be on the right track looking at that anti-shock setup, as a cap across the switch might help with the popping noise. However, you'd also be pretty much sticking a fixed tone control in there. I might poke around a bit this week and see if I can't come up with something, but the solution might just be to turn up the gain until you can't hear it popping any more :shobon:

And regarding the anti-shock rig specifically, though I would think the cap on its own would be more effective, that's to help protect you from dying in the event of a failed amp deciding to pump high current DC to the input jack ground, hence the unusual component values and high voltage rating on the cap. Notice that it's connected between string ground and output ground.

That's enough tech talk for now. I like what you've done with that TelEsquire :) How much did those old paper caps run you, if you don't mind my asking?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Phish Phriday posted:

My happy rear end got a Gibson Firebird VII for under a grand neener neener neener!
I wish I could hate you to death.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I downloaded the demos for these when I got home from work and spent all night playing with them, especially FM8 and Absynth. I like those two so much I would have bought them individually if this package didn't exist. Now I just need to upgrade my midi controller to something more substantial than my M-Audio O2.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Meatball clone. $300 for a clone but hey, that's half the price of the meatball. Hopefully after Christmas.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That reminds me, I wanna build a Meatball after Christmas.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

That's enough tech talk for now. I like what you've done with that TelEsquire :) How much did those old paper caps run you, if you don't mind my asking?

For the three paper caps and the resistor it was $32cdn plus shipping. I did a little research beforehand so I figured it was an alright deal, but as far as I know you can get a box of 1000 somewhere for :10bux: and this guy's raking in the cash... :confused:

And yeah, with my fuzz pedal I can't hear the popping at all, but I don't necessarily want to use the Telesqire for high-gain stuff...

3toes posted:

Meatball clone. $300 for a clone but hey, that's half the price of the meatball. Hopefully after Christmas.

Ohh, ohh! Does it have the expression pedal input?! Also, do you know if the builder can make a DUI Ring Stinger or was this an eBay thing? :shobon:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Handen posted:

For the three paper caps and the resistor it was $32cdn plus shipping. I did a little research beforehand so I figured it was an alright deal, but as far as I know you can get a box of 1000 somewhere for :10bux: and this guy's raking in the cash... :confused:

And yeah, with my fuzz pedal I can't hear the popping at all, but I don't necessarily want to use the Telesqire for high-gain stuff...

Ohh, ohh! Does it have the expression pedal input?! Also, do you know if the builder can make a DUI Ring Stinger or was this an eBay thing? :shobon:

Yeah he said he would do that if wanted instead of effects loop inputs.

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.
I finally replaced the 4x12 Peavy cabinet I got years ago from a musician's swap meet with this:

2x12 rectifier cabinet. Pretty groovy, but man it's heavy. I ended up ordering casters from Mesa the next day.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The sonic apocalypse is nigh.

This is a proof-of-concept circuit for part of my senior design project. In the end, there will be four of these bitches cascading into each other.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Minto Took posted:

The sonic apocalypse is nigh.

This is a proof-of-concept circuit for part of my senior design project. In the end, there will be four of these bitches cascading into each other.

cooooool... what does it do?

p.s. my newest acquisition is a fuzz face that I just built using individual parts I ordered from the internet :cool:
I just got it working a minute ago and it is pretty rad

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

cylyk posted:

cooooool... what does it do?

This will end up growing into a distortion/overdrive effect for a effects floorboard.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

kamapuaa posted:

I finally replaced the 4x12 Peavy cabinet I got years ago from a musician's swap meet with this:

2x12 rectifier cabinet. Pretty groovy, but man it's heavy. I ended up ordering casters from Mesa the next day.

I've always wanted a Dual Rectifier. How much did all that cost you?

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Minto Took posted:

This will end up growing into a distortion/overdrive effect for a effects floorboard.

I don't know how that poo poo works but that tube is pretty mean looking. A sure sign of sonic death.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

kamapuaa posted:

Hell yeah. I love 2x12 cabs, and Mesa makes some GREAT ones... although honestly the one I'm lusting after now, if I can find one, is the George Lynch signature Genz-Benz ported cab. Holy bass response batman.

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.

Steiler Drep posted:

I've always wanted a Dual Rectifier. How much did all that cost you?

Actually, I got a really good deal on the head. Used, with a "friends and family" discount, it ran me $900. I was pretty stoked. I have to say though, I wasn't totally in love with it from the beginning. The new cabinet made a huge difference.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

So I've finally found a decent deal on one of these, the Ibanez XPT700 "Xiphos":

It would be shipping from Ontario to where I am on the East Coast of Canada, but I'm concerned about how the temperature is going to affect it. Has anyone had any bad experiences with warped/cracked wood on a guitar shipped to somewhere very cold? I plan to get expedited shipping if I can so it isn't sitting in a truck or warehouse somewhere over Christmas.

Edit: For reference, its going to be around -10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit)with lows of -20C(-4F) all next week here.

Bobulot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 13, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bobulot posted:

So I've finally found a decent deal on one of these, the Ibanez XPT700 "Xiphos":

It would be shipping from Ontario to where I am on the East Coast of Canada, but I'm concerned about how the temperature is going to affect it. Has anyone had any bad experiences with warped/cracked wood on a guitar shipped to somewhere very cold? I plan to get expedited shipping if I can so it isn't sitting in a truck or warehouse somewhere over Christmas.

Edit: For reference, its going to be around -10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit)with lows of -20C(-4F) all next week here.

I've heard it's fine as long as once you get it you leave it in the case and all of the packaging for at least a day, maybe two, just to let is acclimatize slowly. I've heard horror stories of gleeful guitar geeks getting their guitars in from the cold only to have the nitro finish crack right before their eyes as they open it up.

Does that guitar have colour-changing paint? I've always wanted a guitar with colour changing paint, either the kind that changes from colour X to colour Y with heat, or the kind that changed depending on what angle you look at it from, but it's so expensive. :(

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

Handen posted:

I've heard it's fine as long as once you get it you leave it in the case and all of the packaging for at least a day, maybe two, just to let is acclimatize slowly. I've heard horror stories of gleeful guitar geeks getting their guitars in from the cold only to have the nitro finish crack right before their eyes as they open it up.

Does that guitar have colour-changing paint? I've always wanted a guitar with colour changing paint, either the kind that changes from colour X to colour Y with heat, or the kind that changed depending on what angle you look at it from, but it's so expensive. :(

Thanks a lot for that advice, I might take the extra step of putting it in my cold rear end basement and gradually cranking up the heat over a day or two.

This is in fact one of those colour changing guitars (Green to Blue for the one I'm getting) as seen here. General opinion is that pictures and video don't do it justice and that it's more vibrant in person. It is also relatively cheap at around $650 US depending on where you look. I've been waiting on this one a looong time because of quality concerns and somewhat mixed opinions on the Edge 3 bridge, but I decided that I don't really care, the price is great, and I want it too much to wait any longer.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bobulot posted:

Thanks a lot for that advice, I might take the extra step of putting it in my cold rear end basement and gradually cranking up the heat over a day or two.

This is in fact one of those colour changing guitars (Green to Blue for the one I'm getting) as seen here. General opinion is that pictures and video don't do it justice and that it's more vibrant in person. It is also relatively cheap at around $650 US depending on where you look. I've been waiting on this one a looong time because of quality concerns and somewhat mixed opinions on the Edge 3 bridge, but I decided that I don't really care, the price is great, and I want it too much to wait any longer.

Jealous. It's a few hundred dollars for a pint of that color changing paint where I looked, so using it in a refin job was pretty much out of the question.

Chows posted:

And regarding the anti-shock rig specifically, though I would think the cap on its own would be more effective, that's to help protect you from dying in the event of a failed amp deciding to pump high current DC to the input jack ground, hence the unusual component values and high voltage rating on the cap. Notice that it's connected between string ground and output ground.

I just understood this today, when I read it yesterday I thought "Pff why would it prevent me from dying it's just to prevent the shock sound that happens when your fingers touch the strings," but that got me thinking, are there any documented cases where anybody's ever died or been injured from an amp shorting out and sending electricity through their guitar? How often does this happen, and should I worry about it, considering how much I like to muck about with my stuff? And am I totally wrong about that circuit being used to prevent or dampen that shock sound? ...that's just what I immediately assumed it would be.

And I apologize for derailing this thread every drat I post in it.

Luxowell
Mar 2, 2007

3toes posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Holy poo poo!

The guitarist in my band MADE that pedal for you! Small loving world!

He's a super genius when it comes to that stuff, and a hell of a great guy!

Here's his myspace page that has a lot of the stuff he makes/has made.

http://www.myspace.com/chunks717

His "White Russian" pedal is...how you say... a-niiiice

Daenn
Oct 17, 2003

If any day is a good day, today is a good day for disaster.
This just came in today. Haven't played it yet but it looks amazing. Can't wait to take it home.

lovely camera phone pic doesn't do it justice, but I'm psyched and want to post a picture anyways. I'll post a real pic or 2 later with all the other gear I've bought recently.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

How often does this happen, and should I worry about it, considering how much I like to muck about with my stuff?
I certainly couldn't give you any concrete examples of it happening, and it's far, far less likely than getting some kind of AC shock due to improper grounding of various bits of kit. It's good for peace of mind, but you don't really need to worry much about it, and I've never bothered to implement it in any of my guitars.

quote:

And am I totally wrong about that circuit being used to prevent or dampen that shock sound? ...that's just what I immediately assumed it would be.
My inclination is to say that if you used a cap value that would block that snapping sound it would also stop your body from grounding through the strings and there'd be no point in having a string ground at all.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Daenn posted:

This just came in today. Haven't played it yet but it looks amazing. Can't wait to take it home.

lovely camera phone pic doesn't do it justice, but I'm psyched and want to post a picture anyways. I'll post a real pic or 2 later with all the other gear I've bought recently.

Nice, welcome to the Carvin club. What are the specs on that beast?

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE

Daenn posted:

This is one of the most beautiful guitars in this thread in my opinion.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Bobulot posted:

Oh man, please be sure to post your thoughts about this when you get it. I'm an immense slut for any sort of pointy shaped guitar, and for ibanez necks, so this might be my next buy (either that or a Jackson USA Warrior)

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Daenn posted:

Wow.

You need to hurry and get some more pictures.

edit : What model is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daenn
Oct 17, 2003

If any day is a good day, today is a good day for disaster.
Thanks for the compliments guys. I went back and forth a lot on the look. I sent them a pic of exactly what I wanted and they nailed it. I had nightmares that they wouldn't get it right, but it's perfect, and it plays beautifully. It took over 3 months to get, but I'm really impressed with the work they put into it.

It's a DC127 model alder body with a walnut top and black burst, maple neck, and traditional headstock. Carvin C22 pickups in neck and bridge. I thought I might want to swap them, but I like the sound of them so far. Electronics are passive, with an active FA Piezo bridge. All the crazy knobs are volume, tones for the magnetic and acoustic pickups, a blend for the acoustic, double to single coil on the humbuckers, and a phase invert switch.

It's my 7th guitar, but it's the first that I've bought knowing what I want. My first "big boy" guitar as my mom put it. I got all my other guitars more than 10 years ago when I didn't know what I was looking for. I'm pretty psyched.

I took a bunch of pictures with my camera, but it's late so I'll post them in the morning.