Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Canuckistan posted:

Welp, Terry Pratchet has a "rare form of early onset Alzheimer's".

http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

This sucks hard.

No big deal, they'll have it cured before it causes him too much trouble, right? RIGHT??? This is the century of the fruitbat, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

LooseChanj posted:

No big deal, they'll have it cured before it causes him too much trouble, right? RIGHT??? This is the century of the fruitbat, isn't it?

I know nothing about Alzheimer's except that my Gran died from it, and it was a loving nightmare. Still, at least he won't be short of cash for any treatments they might come up with.

(I suppose the thread title might have to change at some point in the future.)

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Seriously, gently caress that disease.

He's going to carry on writing books if I have to cure the motherfucker myself.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

poo poo. That's the worst disease ever.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Hogfather is only 19.99 at Borders, I picked it up the other day and only been able to watch part of the first half but so far it's been a really good adaptation. I'm sure someone who has no idea what Discworld is wouldn't enjoy it as much but I think it's great.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
gently caress. gently caress fuckity friggety jiggity jib jabbery wabbery flappity happity gently caress.

And he's being so nice about it. He even did the smiley thing.

Argh, gently caress it, someone shrink me down. I'm going into his brain to beat up this disease.

Adversary
Jun 9, 2007
Not sick, but not well
gently caress you Alzheimers. gently caress YOU!

Seriously, as someone who grew up reading Pratchett, this is really sad for me. :sigh:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

LooseChanj posted:

That's it Goons, we're curing this ourselves.

This is horrible though, some of the worst news I've heard in a long while. Here's hoping that he can get at least another 15 years though.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
drat. And I was having such a good day until I read this. :smith:

Who here is willing to follow in the steps of Robert Jarvik and giving up what they're doing to find a cure for Alzheimer's?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh no. :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
gently caress you, God.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I just woken up with a horrible hangover and now I get this news. I am so utterly depressed.

I'm going to have to make sure I go to the dwcon next year now as well.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Pope Guilty posted:

gently caress you, God.

your user name and what you said put me in mind of a certain emoticon :dawkins101:

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Sucks about the alzheimers :(

I started reading Discworld with Interesting Times, and loved it, and then moved on to reading everything I could. The only book I truly cannot read is Witches Abroad, I just cant get into it at all.
Like most people the Watch books are my favourites, love Jingo and Night Watch.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Nilbop posted:

gently caress. gently caress fuckity friggety jiggity jib jabbery wabbery flappity happity gently caress.

And he's being so nice about it. He even did the smiley thing.

Argh, gently caress it, someone shrink me down. I'm going into his brain to beat up this disease.

Honey, I Shrunk The Goons!

I read this on Fark and was wondering how long it'd take you guys to put out the notice. I'm rather pissed that we won't be getting many more books, but sad for Prachett too because my stepfather has Alzheimer's and it's horrible. It's a good way to drive their caretakers insane (and poor).

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

KTS posted:

Sucks about the alzheimers :(

I started reading Discworld with Interesting Times, and loved it, and then moved on to reading everything I could. The only book I truly cannot read is Witches Abroad, I just cant get into it at all.
Like most people the Watch books are my favourites, love Jingo and Night Watch.

It takes a while, but once they reach Transylvania it becomes a lot more interesting.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I started reading my first Discworld book a few days ago. It was, not by chance, the first one. I picked up both The Color of Magic and Guards! Guards! at the same time, thinking that if I didn't like the former all that much, I'd jump straight to the latter, since it seems to be a favorite. I just finished TCOM at a cafe though, and I loved it. I've decided to read the books in order of publication because that way the arcs are conveniently broken up to avoid monotony.

On my way home I purchased The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites so I will have reading material while I'm waiting for planes to take off and then sitting inside them while I travel south for the holidays. I've really wanted to read some of Pratchett's stuff for quite a while, and when I heard about him being diagnosed I couldn't help but finally start. It really is sad that such and active and clever mind will go through that.

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is to link a 60 minute video of him speaking at a Barnes & Noble in NYC. I'm only a few minutes in, but it seems worth watching. I'm not sure when it was filmed but he discusses his stroke at the beginning. It is really, in a huge and magical way, sad to hear him find humor in everything, even his body dying without him really knowing about it. He seems like an amazing person.

Here you go: http://media.barnesandnoble.com/index.jsp?fr_story=66ea36effacb12f8d42a1294411c2b525c7706bf

Does anyone know why he is wearing a glove on his left hand? EDIT: Someone asks about this in the video!

Totally Huge fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 21, 2007

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

Haha, is that George R. R. Martin there incognito?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chaglby posted:

On my way home I purchased The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites so I will have reading material while I'm waiting for planes to take off and then sitting inside them while I travel south for the holidays. I've really wanted to read some of Pratchett's stuff for quite a while, and when I heard about him being diagnosed I couldn't help but finally start. It really is sad that such and active and clever mind will go through that.

I didn't like Light Fantastic or Equal Rites all that much, but I loved the Color of Magic.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I'm reading the discworld novels in order, but not all in a row. I mean, I'll read other stuff inbetween. I just started Hogfather, which I find to be a pretty amusing coincidence, since I didn't really plan it. Much.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Ah hell, I got 15 minutes in and rated the video, praying it wouldn't restart the video.

I got my wish, because now it's saying the site is temporarily unavailable. :argh: Just when it was getting good.

Spiny Norman
Aug 11, 2005

...Dinsdale?

Keshik posted:

I got teary eyed when Anghammarad died. :(

The golems always get me. The part from Feet of Clay with Dorfl's last words, when dying, WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN, gets me every drat time. Feet of Clay really is one of his best philosophical works - you can see Pratchett's humanism and sense of social responsibility really show through there. And I really liked how he linked the rejection of the idea of kings with the rejection of the idea of, well, God.

There is no THOU SHALT or THOU SHALT NOT. There's only I WILL or I WILL NOT.

He's caught his problem early and he's got time yet. He's not dead, as Neil Gaiman pointed out.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Spiny Norman posted:

The golems always get me. The part from Feet of Clay with Dorfl's last words, when dying, WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN, gets me every drat time. Feet of Clay really is one of his best philosophical works - you can see Pratchett's humanism and sense of social responsibility really show through there. And I really liked how he linked the rejection of the idea of kings with the rejection of the idea of, well, God.

With you 100% on that one; fantastic stuff. I also liked the clever foreshadowing when Vimes reads Old Stoneface's journal.

Spoilered because, well, it foreshadows something...
In the fires of struggle we shall bake new men, who will not heed the old lies

One of the things that struck me about the Golems in the Discworld books is the terrible fates of those that have not been given to themselves. The people regard the Golems as nothing more than machines. But they are much more than that; not only sentient, but *sapient* also. The words in their head give them life initially, but they are also chains that shackle them. The Golems that have died in the books clearly *welcomed* death, because at last they were truly free.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Spiny Norman posted:

He's caught his problem early and he's got time yet. He's not dead, as Neil Gaiman pointed out.

I absolutely love when Pratchett waxes philosophical in his work, especially with the Golems. I was forty pages into a different book and I dropped it and picked up Feet of Clay upon reading this.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
My favorite one of his is probably from Small Gods where Pratchett tells the story of how the religion of Om came to be after a Shepard lost one of his sheep and made a little shrine out of stones where he found it again.

The whole story ends with the comment that just a few hills away, there was a goat herder who just by chance didn't have the incident happen to them and the quote "Because sheep are stupid and need to be driven, but goats are intelligent and need to be lead"

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
God, this is terrible news. Terry Pratchett is my all time favorite author, and it's really sad that he has this problem. My grandfather had the same thing, and although he lived for a very long time, he got really strange near the end. Luckily, they've seemed to have diagnosed it early, so hopefully he'll be able to get all the treatment he needs.

What I love about the golems is that without the words, they are really nothing more than machines, which insinuates that without our thoughts and ideas, humans aren't anything more than animals. Nothing, not the universe, God, or history, is as important as the words we hold in our heads and hearts.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Damnit, I've been thinking more about this whole thing. I'm lucky in that most of my other favorite authors were dead before I was born or at least before I learned to read.

It'd be a lot easier to cope with Pratchett's imminent retirement if he just decided one day to stop writing and go off to Sri Lanka to be immortal, like Arthur C Clarke.

:(

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

It'd be even better if there were some new hot-shot author with a similar flair like Pratchett's. Much like how Douglas Adams' descent into ... something was made easier by Terry.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nilbop posted:

It'd be even better if there were some new hot-shot author with a similar flair like Pratchett's. Much like how Douglas Adams' descent into ... something was made easier by Terry.

Heart attack. It was a quick descent? It's a shame but this thread now has "40 page monolithic antemortem obituary" written all over it.

On a lighter note, I'm in the middle of Hogfather, and I can't help but giggle like a moron everytime someone says something like "MELON MELON MELON" or "Here comes Mr. Jelly". Also "Cannot Divide by Cucumber" was good.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Heart attack. It was a quick descent? It's a shame but this thread now has "40 page monolithic antemortem obituary" written all over it.

On a lighter note, I'm in the middle of Hogfather, and I can't help but giggle like a moron everytime someone says something like "MELON MELON MELON" or "Here comes Mr. Jelly". Also "Cannot Divide by Cucumber" was good.

I'm not a big fan of Hogfather, but, "The Little Matchstick Girl," bit in there gave me a smile, for pointing out the ridiculous horribleness of the original story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Heart attack. It was a quick descent?

I think they were referring to the descent in quality of Adams' writing. Mostly Harmless really was an amazingly depressing piece of business, made all the worse because the Dirk Gently books were incredibly and showed a maturity that Hitchhiker's books never really got around to.

I loved Douglas Adams as a kid, but honestly, once I found Pratchett I never looked back (much how Adams himself had replaced my affection for Robert Asprin).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

That was pretty much it, yeah. The last Hitchiker's book Adams wrote was essentially "and now all the characters are dead forever, so move the gently caress on and let me drown my sorrows."

I can't remember what exactly he was depressed about, but he eventually got over it and regretted his decision.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished Jingo. It's funny how the runup to pretty much any war looks almost exactly the same, and absolutely insane to those who aren't Hawks or the Mob. I know I was definitely thinking "Iraq" quite a bit, not to mention Iran. The point is really the same, sell it to the people by whipping them into a frenzy about how depraved and inhuman your enemy is.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

If you've ever seen something like Sharpe on TV, you'd be amazed at the similarities.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

precision posted:

I think they were referring to the descent in quality of Adams' writing. Mostly Harmless really was an amazingly depressing piece of business, made all the worse because the Dirk Gently books were incredibly and showed a maturity that Hitchhiker's books never really got around to.

I loved Douglas Adams as a kid, but honestly, once I found Pratchett I never looked back (much how Adams himself had replaced my affection for Robert Asprin).

Ah, this I can agree with wholeheartedly. Mostly Harmless was not only horrible, I could feel the spite shooting out from the page into my eyes. It was like a nice personal spit-in-the-face to every HHG fan.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Just finished Jingo. It's funny how the runup to pretty much any war looks almost exactly the same, and absolutely insane to those who aren't Hawks or the Mob. I know I was definitely thinking "Iraq" quite a bit, not to mention Iran. The point is really the same, sell it to the people by whipping them into a frenzy about how depraved and inhuman your enemy is.

The thing is that the those in power weren't in favor of the war, it was the common people agitating for a fight. Vetinari & Vimes, the two most powerful figures in AM politics, were against the war. The rabble roused itself, and all without the benefit of a free press.

The only person of note in favor of the war was Rust, and he wasn't articulate enough to go out and giving a rousing St. Crispins Day style speech himself.

It was the pretty much the salt of the Disc, hard-working, golem, dwarf, and troll hating folks that actually wanted the war.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 15, 2008

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

thrakkorzog posted:

The thing is that the those in power weren't in favor of the war, it was the common people agitating for a fight. Vetinari & Vimes, the two most powerful figures in AM politics, were against the war. The rabble roused itself, and all without the benefit of a free press.

The only person of note in favor of the war was Rust, and he wasn't articulate enough to go out and giving a rousing St. Crispins Day style speech himself.

It was the pretty much the salt of the Disc, hard-working, golem, dwarf, and troll hating folks that actually wanted the war.

Well, there was high-level agitation, just not on the AM side. One aspect of the book that always seems topical is that, if you recall, the Klatchian leader was seeking to engineer a war with Ankh-Morpork - the war would, in principle, be easy to win and would also be a political tool with which he could unite the Klatchian hegemony against a common enemy. It would cement that leader's power, and in victory increase his popularity. Such an endeavour would also send a message to the other nations around the Circle Sea.

Vetinari's resolution to the affair was doubly effective. He didn't just diffuse the war by surrender with appropriate conditions; when Leshp sank it was a tremendous loss of face for the Klatchian leader - his credibility completely undermined, he was forced to step down.

Edit: None of that in any way counters what you say, of course - it was still the 'man on the street', in all his conservative, nationalistic, mobbish glory, that provided the momentum to keep the crisis escalating.

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 15, 2008

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

thrakkorzog posted:

I saw it pretty much the opposite, funnily enough.

The two father and son duos, Les and his dad and ... Ach ... med .. dul, both disliked each other based mostly on pubspeak ("oh well he is, isn't he? He's forrin") but despite all their yelling and yahoing not only do they not actually fight, they both live on the same little bit of Leshp for a while.

The ruling elite of both Ankh and Al Khali both very much wanted the war. The Patrician himself makes it very clear that he only stays in power by playing the big players off each other, and he still has to cowtow to their decisions in situations as highly emotional as this one, which is why Rust and his fellow idiots ended up leading the army of Ankh and not Vetinari. The Prince, who's name I've currently forgotten but am almost sure it begins with a C, is even more lead around by his viziers, despite having a firm head on his shoulders.

Anytime we inevitably get a mention of the grunts their opinions tend to be, at the best, mixed, with one saying "Oho! There may be ten times the amount of us in sandal-riding-towel-wearing angry forriner over there, but once we give them a taste of cold Ankh steel I 'spect they'll soon be for it." and the other all "oh god oh god must panic no time for punctuati."

I'll agree that it was initially the mob who raised the momentum for this (as actually tends to happen in all the City books) but without the call to arms of Lord Rust and Grand Vizier Whosits I think we're meant to see it would all have fizzled away anyhow.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I saw it pretty much the opposite, funnily enough.

The two father and son duos, Les and his dad and ... Ach ... med .. dul, both disliked each other based mostly on pubspeak ("oh well he is, isn't he? He's forrin") but despite all their yelling and yahoing not only do they not actually fight, they both live on the same little bit of Leshp for a while.

The ruling elite of both Ankh and Al Khali both very much wanted the war. The Patrician himself makes it very clear that he only stays in power by playing the big players off each other, and he still has to cowtow to their decisions in situations as highly emotional as this one, which is why Rust and his fellow idiots ended up leading the army of Ankh and not Vetinari. The Prince, who's name I've currently forgotten but am almost sure it begins with a C, is even more lead around by his viziers, despite having a firm head on his shoulders.

Anytime we inevitably get a mention of the grunts their opinions tend to be, at the best, mixed, with one saying "Oho! There may be ten times the amount of us in sandal-riding-towel-wearing angry forriner over there, but once we give them a taste of cold Ankh steel I 'spect they'll soon be for it." and the other all "oh god oh god must panic no time for punctuati."

I'll agree that it was initially the mob who raised the momentum for this (as actually tends to happen in all the City books) but without the call to arms of Lord Rust and Grand Vizier Whosits I think we're meant to see it would all have fizzled away anyhow.

As for the folks living on Leshp; throughout the book there's a pretty big "Hey we're all pretty much the same," theme going on. The agreement on Leshp seemed to be an old-school sitcom style drawing a line across the room. "That's your side, this is my side. Come over to my side, and I'll bash your head in with an oar." Of course, one could then make the argument, that's how borders work.)

The teens stuck on the island were at least willing to recognize that fighting over land that was covered with salt, smelled bad, and was covered with buildings straight out of Lovecraft's nightmares, was pointless.

As for Rust, he was simply capitalizing on the common Ankh-Morporkian desire to make ol' Johnny Klatchian taste some cold steel. Otherwise, he's pretty much just a rich idiot wishing he could go replay the glory days of his great-great-great-grandfather who earned him his title.

I think it's fair to say, that the average citizen of AM has pretty much no respect for titles, outside of 'Can you get me fired? No. Can you get me killed? No. Then let me show you some of my favorite hand gestures. By the way, when you leave, could you take the side door, some of my buddies will be waiting there to help make sure you are properly taken care of.'

Nothing against the citizens of AM. Actually their practicality is pretty much their redeeming virtue. (So they're at least forgiven for producing a Nobbs.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I just watched the Hogfather Christmas special and I have to say, I was impressed. I was a little skeptical at first but it was pretty, I'd recommend it.

Also, does anyone know anything about Nation? It's kind of bothering not knowing what he's writing about, although apparently it's almost done, yet the release date is September 11, 2008. I wonder if there's any significance behind the date or not...