Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'd like a program that will take the earliest date string it can find from an .NZB file and change either the date modified or date created (preferably both) of the file to that date/time.
Of course, if it did this to all the NZB's of a directory, that'd be even better.
The SABnzbd thread-goers would probably love it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know if this is a stupid question, but can zoomgif be made to zoom out or reverse the animation direction? This might add more possibilities for creative imagery, or it may not

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Hogburto posted:

I'd like a program that will take the earliest date string it can find from an .NZB file and change either the date modified or date created (preferably both) of the file to that date/time.
Of course, if it did this to all the NZB's of a directory, that'd be even better.

Do you have any examples of these nzb files?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Whimsy posted:

I'd like to request a mostly pointless application.

I call it "Thunderscore" (Link).

I have no idea what the hell this is for but here you go

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

mintskoal posted:

I was going to write that tonight :(

That'll teach me to procrastinate. Unlike all those other times that procrastinating didn't work out.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
edit: Ahaha I just noticed that I posted that CoD4 patch in here somehow. What the poo poo. Yeah, ignore that. I'll try to do a request later to make up for it. :v:

slovach fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 20, 2007

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Hogburto posted:

This is done. The NZB spec you linked isn't 100% as clear as I'd like to see, so if you come across anything strange, let me know. It works on an entire directory, so just point it there and let it rip.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
This is fantastic. It seems to work perfectly and I've run it over tons of files. Thank you! You don't know how useful this will be.
I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, kaniff.

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
I would like to request an application that can copy all the files of a user-specified extension (.nfo, .txt, etc) from a designated folder and its subfolders and paste them in a destination folder. Would be great if it could be integrated for right click use.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1198177245

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Punch McRockGroin posted:

I would like to request an application that can copy all the files of a user-specified extension (.nfo, .txt, etc) from a designated folder and its subfolders and paste them in a destination folder. Would be great if it could be integrated for right click use.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1198177245

I guess you're looking for a slightly more elegant solution, but you can just search for "*.txt" in a folder, then Ctrl-A (select all) Ctrl-X (cut), open your destination folder and Ctrl-V (paste). Sure it's a few more clicks than might be necessary, but it's not exactly cumbersome.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP
I just posted two programs to TinyAppz. I made them for myself, but I know other people will have a use for them.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/RC880_Interface
I picked up a RC-880 LED sign at a garage sale, but it came without software. I got lucky and found how to get it into its programming mode by just pounding on my keyboard in hyperterminal. After mapping out what each ASCII key code did, I made this little program to make it easy to change what the sign said.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Stag_PPZ
I have had a Stag PPZ EPROM Programmer for a while, but I never had any software for it. I could copy and paste data I wanted to send into hyperterminal, but it was a pain. I finally sat down and made this program a week ago. It makes transferring data back and forth very easy, and it checksums the data to ensure proper transmission.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

mintskoal posted:

loving awesome!

It's not 100% perfect, but it's impressive! I'm adding to my computer so whenever I need to enter in email addresses, directories, or anything else, I'll have thunder at my fingertips.

If it could be rigged so that whenever an explicit _ (gently caress yes!) is pressed and not just the -, then it would be really awesome, but I think I'll be able to squeek by, using the source code to cobble in the specifics.
_
Thanks for indulging me!
_

RJev
Feb 24, 2006

Kids are thirsty
I'd like to request a little app that could grab an email address from the sender line of an email, output it to a text file, then append a semicolon and a space to the end of each one. I'm working for a nearly completely blind person, and he needs a quick and easy way to get email addresses together in one big lump for his newsletter mailing list. Manually copy-pasting each one results in too many mistakes. If possible, something that could work with web based email would be great. If not, something compatible with outlook or thunderbird or whatever would be fine as well. Would anyone mind making something like this, or if something like it already exists, point me in the right direction?

RJev fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 21, 2007

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

RJev posted:

I'd like to request a little app that could grab an email address from the sender line of an email, output it to a text file, then append a semicolon and a space to the end of each one. I'm working for a nearly completely blind person, and he needs a quick and easy way to get email addresses together in one big lump for his newsletter mailing list. Manually copy-pasting each one results in too many mistakes. If possible, something that could work with web based email would be great. If not, something compatible with outlook or thunderbird or whatever would be fine as well. Would anyone mind making something like this, or if something like it already exists, point me in the right direction?

I'd could probably do this as an add-in for Outlook or a parser for a Thunderbird mailbox (no good at writing extensions). Would you prefer either or?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I would love an app that could scan a set of directories that I enter (and their subdirectories), and look for a certain file (in this case, folder.jpg), and let me know which directories do not have that file.

This is obviously for looking which albums in my collection don't have artwork.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

ShaneB posted:

I would love an app that could scan a set of directories that I enter (and their subdirectories), and look for a certain file (in this case, folder.jpg), and let me know which directories do not have that file.

This is obviously for looking which albums in my collection don't have artwork.

This is kind of a complex way of doing it manually... but it may give a guideline to somebody writing the app.
You could use robocopy (found in here) and copy a directory tree for all files matching *.ext

Then you use dir /b /s on the copied tree and the original tree, paste those results into excel or just any old text file and do a diff to find the absent folders in the copied tree.

RJev
Feb 24, 2006

Kids are thirsty

mintskoal posted:

I'd could probably do this as an add-in for Outlook or a parser for a Thunderbird mailbox (no good at writing extensions). Would you prefer either or?

Thunderbird would be awesome.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I've got a ton of random pictures and things saved, and it's really annoying to sort them. I found a nice program called SortPics which lets me set up categories, and keystrokes to move/copy something into a category's assigned folder.

It lists images on the left, shows the image in the center, and shows the possible categories to the right.

It's a great program and I pretty much have sorted everything with it, but being designed with Windows 95 in mind, it doesn't support PNG.

So, while this is pretty big I'd love to get something just like it that does support png rather than sorting them manually or batch converting them to jpg.

Every program I've found similar to this is way too bloated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

RJev posted:

Thunderbird would be awesome.

Sounds good. I'll get to work on this right away. Sorry for the delay; it's the holiday season and all.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Something I thought of the other night:

The what:

A screensaver that will look in a user-defined directory and play back either all video files in that directory or one selected file.

Now, the bit that all the other video screensaver programs don't do; it should pick a random point within the video file, and play from there, looping back to the start of the file seamlessly.

It should also have a mute checkbox, and a slider (or other option) to fade brightness of the video from full down to 10%

The why:

I've ripped my copies of Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Baraka and Chronos to 2CD avis from the DVDs, and I'd love to be able to get a random scene from one of them playing if I leave the pc for a while.

Note; I'm running XP Pro at the moment, but may be shelling out many clams for a MacBook Pro in the future, so any Mac tinkerers who want to have a shot, feel free :)

Bueller..? :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
As per NoneMoreNegatives advice I've come to beg for a sweet tiny custom app to solve my horrible self inflicted EXIF problems:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199034113

A summary of the request:
A small app that will change the EXIF "date taken" field on a folder full of JPEG files to match the last modified date of the file itself. This is for people who forget to set the date on their digital camera and have a monster folder full of pictures "taken" on Jan 1, 2004.

From this thread I posted:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2726942

Much thanks in advance if anyone decides to take this on.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

This seems iike it has a variety of uses - mostly involving network sync stuff so here goes:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199199702

I need a app that will

1) On run, look through a folder and select a random subset of files/folders up to X size, all preconfigured somewhere else.
2) Check another predefined folder and empty it if it's got anything in it.
3) Copy the files/folders from the first example into that folder.

Basically my goal is to use my laptop akin to a small iPod in that whenever I connect it to my network it will download this folder filled with mp3s so I have a constantly rotating set of music that doesn't take up more than X amount of my precious laptop space.

Right now my music is split between being organized into folders of artists I have a lot of (further divided into folders for albums) and loose single songs. It would be ideal to be able to go in and grab individual album folders (nothing would be more than 2 deep from the root so it should be easy to hard code this) and individual songs from the root folder.

I'm gonna use a local app for network sync so I just need something to do this. The ideal way is to have it with settings in a seperate ini file or something and just be command line. It would also work to have a plain run bring up config screen and a command line switch to do a silent run or vice versa. Either way I would prefer for headless operation so I could just schedule it and have it run for me.

Anyone who takes this up would be doing me a huge favor.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
I really need an app that'll parse a huge comma-separated list, splitting into a new file every x items. Doing this by hand will take forever!

So you'd input file.csv with contents "a, b, c, d, e" etc, then it would split it into file1.csv containing "a, b", file2.cvs containing "b, c" and so on.

Except not just two items per file, more like 50,000.

Please? :(

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

8ender posted:

As per NoneMoreNegatives advice I've come to beg for a sweet tiny custom app to solve my horrible self inflicted EXIF problems:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199034113

A summary of the request:
A small app that will change the EXIF "date taken" field on a folder full of JPEG files to match the last modified date of the file itself. This is for people who forget to set the date on their digital camera and have a monster folder full of pictures "taken" on Jan 1, 2004.

From this thread I posted:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2726942

Much thanks in advance if anyone decides to take this on.

Do you still need this? That thread makes it sound like you don't. I did write an app to do this but the interface needs to be cleaned/finished up from the debug state I have it in.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Triangle posted:

Do you still need this? That thread makes it sound like you don't. I did write an app to do this but the interface needs to be cleaned/finished up from the debug state I have it in.

I'm alright. Radnor's Applescript sorted me out. However I'm probably not the only person who has photos screwed up like this so if you're up for it I'm sure the SH/SC collective would love to see the app.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

pugna posted:

I really need an app that'll parse a huge comma-separated list, splitting into a new file every x items. Doing this by hand will take forever!

So you'd input file.csv with contents "a, b, c, d, e" etc, then it would split it into file1.csv containing "a, b", file2.cvs containing "b, c" and so on.

Except not just two items per file, more like 50,000.

Please? :(

Coming right up. Did you open a request on tinyappz?

EDIT: All finished. Let me know where you want this sent.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 2, 2008

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wrote one too csv splitter.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
Cheers dudes! That's much appreciated, you have just saved me a good 8 solid hours of mind-numbing work!

Mintskoal, you can upload it to wherever you want and I'll host it for tinyappz if needed, although Triangle's app is doing the job perfectly.

Thanks guys, you're legends.

such a nice boy
Mar 22, 2002

Dr. Dos posted:

I've got a ton of random pictures and things saved, and it's really annoying to sort them. I found a nice program called SortPics which lets me set up categories, and keystrokes to move/copy something into a category's assigned folder.

It lists images on the left, shows the image in the center, and shows the possible categories to the right.

It's a great program and I pretty much have sorted everything with it, but being designed with Windows 95 in mind, it doesn't support PNG.

So, while this is pretty big I'd love to get something just like it that does support png rather than sorting them manually or batch converting them to jpg.

Every program I've found similar to this is way too bloated.

Dibs on this one. I've got a different design worked out that I think will work better than the one shown.

edit: Available at http://flywheelconsulting.com/code/imgmove.py

Requires pygame. Edit the source to change the directories you're moving from/to.

such a nice boy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 4, 2008

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

TabletPC posted:

Need a Windows app that makes a noise (nice click or ding - customizable) on tap of the screen with a pen/hand when used with a tablet pc. so far no program exists that does this, only built into drivers.

A small icon on taskbar by the clock that when tapped allows me to drag things without double clicking, or drag a page when on a scrollable page. when the taskbar icon is untapped this functionally disables.
Request #1196581095

Whose request is this on tinyappz? The first part is very easy. But I have a question about the second one.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'd like a php/mysql program to run on a website that basically emulates this site http://www.electricferret.com/mortuary/ although I would like to change the text in the entry form a bit.

I want people to be able to submit their dead PC, which then goes into the database. I look over the entries, approve the valid ones and then they show up on the site.

Here's the request on tinyappz http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199742827

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

my brain thinks bomb-like
I'd like something to list projects I've input, and I'd like the input options per project/item to be Award Date, Amount, Contract #, and Agency. If I could mark each project as "Awarded" or "Not Awarded" and have them listed separately that'd be awesome. Basically I'd like to be able to "Add" a project and once it's added it should appear in a list that looks like a table, and it would be nice if it could export the data to a text file, but that's not necessary. I know that I could do this manually in Word or something, but I need something for some people who really can't even work with a template on Word.

Thanks so so so much! This has been driving me absolutely nuts.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199817480

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Casao posted:

This seems iike it has a variety of uses - mostly involving network sync stuff so here goes:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199199702

I need a app that will

1) On run, look through a folder and select a random subset of files/folders up to X size, all preconfigured somewhere else.
2) Check another predefined folder and empty it if it's got anything in it.
3) Copy the files/folders from the first example into that folder.

Basically my goal is to use my laptop akin to a small iPod in that whenever I connect it to my network it will download this folder filled with mp3s so I have a constantly rotating set of music that doesn't take up more than X amount of my precious laptop space.

Right now my music is split between being organized into folders of artists I have a lot of (further divided into folders for albums) and loose single songs. It would be ideal to be able to go in and grab individual album folders (nothing would be more than 2 deep from the root so it should be easy to hard code this) and individual songs from the root folder.

I'm gonna use a local app for network sync so I just need something to do this. The ideal way is to have it with settings in a seperate ini file or something and just be command line. It would also work to have a plain run bring up config screen and a command line switch to do a silent run or vice versa. Either way I would prefer for headless operation so I could just schedule it and have it run for me.

Anyone who takes this up would be doing me a huge favor.

Have you considered looking into rsync? If that's no good for you, just ignore this post.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
I'd like to request an app to compare 2 Excel files. Here's an example:

Excel spreadsheet 1 is a list of names from a member list in 2006. Excel spreadsheet 2 is a list of names from all of the years before 2006. I put Spreadsheet 1 in the first field, Spreadsheet 2 in the second field, and the app finds any row in #2 that doesn't exist in #1.

Is this huge and/or impossible?

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199822510

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!
I just posted an app request, but I'm not a coder so I have no idea how big/small of a project this would be.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199833828

Basic file archiving application. Will move files that haven't been modified before a selected date to a new file share, but will create/keep the file and folder structure to the new location as well. Let me know if my ramblings don't make any sense. :)

edit: Preferably something with a GUI that will show you what files are being moved (a 'preview' pane) before actually committing the changes so that you can verify what's going on.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Gibbon_WBA posted:

Id like an application that will simply scan 2 folders over a network (on 2 different computers) and tell me which folder has the most files, and what files one folder has that the other doesn't and then (maybe) allow me to copy the missing files over to the other folder (a very basic sync tool).

Its for my ever-changing music collection, I want to keep my desktop and laptop in sync!

If anyone could help me out with this id be much appreciated :)

Is there a chance anyone could have a go at this? All of the 'ready made' ones don't seem to do the job, or don't work.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

clockworkjoe posted:

I'd like a php/mysql program to run on a website that basically emulates this site http://www.electricferret.com/mortuary/ although I would like to change the text in the entry form a bit.

I want people to be able to submit their dead PC, which then goes into the database. I look over the entries, approve the valid ones and then they show up on the site.

Here's the request on tinyappz http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199742827

Welp, here's something I've put together throughout my free times today. It could probably still use some work, and has no css yet, but here it is. http://ru486.us/deadchars Let me know if it's headed in the right direction

edit: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Bring_out_your_deads%21

486 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 19, 2008

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
Request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1200059323
Annoyance:
When I transfer photos from my camera's memory cards to my hard drive, the Last Modified date/time changes to the current moment. I'd like to keep the original date from the camera (happens to be Creation Date). I usually empty the memory card right after a photo op, but sometimes I just shoot a few snaps each other day, which doesn't need a daily transfer. It would be easier for to sort out the pics by date/event without waiting for the preview to open up for everyone of them, since the Modified Date stamp is now useless.

Fix:
Keep the original Modified date/time during/after transfering, for each individual files. I'm using Windows 2000 SP4.

Suggestions:
I think the most effective way to do this would be to change the Modified date to Creation date for each individual file. I'd prefer something quick to use. For example, right-clicking on a folder or a group of selected files to change the date of each file.

If you think of something simpler/better, go for it!

Jeece fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 14, 2008

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I would like a script (preferably VBS) that will take your external IP address and add it to an .xls file along with the date and time.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1200123932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingDodo
Jan 22, 2005
Not Extinct

vladimir posted:

I just posted an app request, but I'm not a coder so I have no idea how big/small of a project this would be.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199833828

Basic file archiving application. Will move files that haven't been modified before a selected date to a new file share, but will create/keep the file and folder structure to the new location as well. Let me know if my ramblings don't make any sense. :)

edit: Preferably something with a GUI that will show you what files are being moved (a 'preview' pane) before actually committing the changes so that you can verify what's going on.

edit: was trying to work on this, but I don't think I can. drat windows time functions are annoying :( .

FlyingDodo fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 14, 2008

• Locked thread