Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Is aMSN or Mercury-messenger still the only alternatives for full speed file transfers on linux? Is Pidgin going to wait until 2010 before it gets this? The fact that this is a low priority (Patches wanted? WHAT?!) for the Pidgin devs boggles the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Marinmo posted:

Is aMSN or Mercury-messenger still the only alternatives for full speed file transfers on linux? Is Pidgin going to wait until 2010 before it gets this? The fact that this is a low priority (Patches wanted? WHAT?!) for the Pidgin devs boggles the mind.

It's about as high a priority as a chat system would be in a fileserver.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

covener posted:

not sure what windows facilities need to be running on the host for sysinternals 'psexec' to work, but it might be something to look into.

edit: durf, of course that's a solution only for windows on both ends.

Bad choices: services for unix probably provides telnetd, or a native windows/commercial SSH server

doh! forgot that openssh had a version for windows! Thank you!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I think I accidentally bizarro-killed my linux

I was trying to set up my wireless networking in gentoo and I was following this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_BCM43xx

I got to the part where I enter
code:
modprobe bcm43xx
and I get

code:
FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.18-suspend2-r1/kernel/drivers
/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Unknown symbol 
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
when I use dmesg I get an error at the bottom:

code:
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <jketreno@linux.intel.com>
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_unregister
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_register
I googled that and there was pretty much nothing so I have no idea what I did. Is there some better way to get wireless working or did I probably screw up my installation somewhere?

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

:words:

I am pretty sure the xx in "bcm43xx" should be a number, specifically your model.

edit:

In other words, if your model of wireless card is the bcm4306, you would type in:

code:
 modprobe bcm4306

George Wright fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 20, 2007

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

covener posted:

It's about as high a priority as a chat system would be in a fileserver.
Funny how file transfers seem to work fine with AIM then. And not everyone likes to teach their less computer literate friends how to use FTP only to be able to transfer a file larger than 1 megabyte. Telling me to switch IM program/network would be as feasible as to tell an American to stop using AIM and going for MSN.

Reason why I'm asking is because aMSN is simply horrible with it's UI and the same goes for Mercury. aMSN uses TCL which sucks and Mercury is done in java which is - as if possible - worse.

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 20, 2007

platinum_pt78
Dec 26, 2003
pt78
I had CentOS installed on my home fileserver, it was uncleanly shutdown last night, and refuses to boot anymore (can't mount the primary drive).

I put a liveCD in and tried to mount the drive, it is using LVM2, and I can "see" the partitions, and lvscan returns my volume groups, however if I try to mount them, I get the error "missing codepage".

Anyone got any suggestions on if this is fixable?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

citizenh8 posted:

I am pretty sure the xx in "bcm43xx" should be a number, specifically your model.

the module is literally bcm43xx for a number of broadcomm-based cards.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Some keys (a, g, b, etc.) aren't working on the laptop in Ubuntu 7.10

It's a Sony VAIO PCG-GR300P

I've tried nearly every generic layout in the keyboard panel but it still doesn't work. Any ideas how to fix it?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I think I accidentally bizarro-killed my linux

I was trying to set up my wireless networking in gentoo and I was following this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_BCM43xx

I got to the part where I enter
code:
modprobe bcm43xx
and I get

code:
FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.18-suspend2-r1/kernel/drivers
/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Unknown symbol 
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
when I use dmesg I get an error at the bottom:

code:
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <jketreno@linux.intel.com>
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_unregister
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_register
I googled that and there was pretty much nothing so I have no idea what I did. Is there some better way to get wireless working or did I probably screw up my installation somewhere?

This error looks like the module was compiled for a version of the kernel which had hardware random number generator support, and the kernel that you are running was not compiled with hardware random number generator support. In general, modules have to be loaded into exactly the kernel that they were compiled against - any deviation will often cause errors like this.

Did you reboot after re-compiling the kernel to load the new one?

Did you forget a step when re-compiling your kernel (such as make modules, or make modules install)?

Did you do anything else weird?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
How do I find out which device name is tied to which physical interface?

Situation: I have four SATA disks connected to an ICH9DH motherboard controller. I want to know which device name (/dev/sd[abcd]) is connected to which physical SATA channel (SATA[0-5]) on the motherboard. I would assume that they would be mapped sda->SATA0, sdb->SATA1, etc, but when I try hot-swapping this breaks: when I yank sda and plug it back in it shows up as sde.

My primary concern is to be able to identify a malfunctioning disk among four identical devices.

edit: lsscsi to the rescue!
code:
[root@alfa ~]# lsscsi
[0:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD2500AAJS-7 12.0  /dev/sda
[1:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD2500AAJS-7 12.0  /dev/sdb
[2:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD2500AAJS-7 12.0  /dev/sdc
[4:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD2500AAJS-7 12.0  /dev/sdd
[6:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162D SB00  /dev/scd0

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 20, 2007

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'm trying to install Gutsy on my notebook (Sony VGN-S270P, Centrino 1.8, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700). I had this working using the Envy script the other night, then I hosed up something while playing around in Compiz and decided just to :pt:. Well, I don't know what the gently caress is going on, but I don't get anything on the screen after grub - no splash, nothing. Here's what I've done so far:

1.) Installed from Live CD.
2.) First boot, entered recovery mode, as I knew that X/GDM/whatever the gently caress it's called wouldn't start without the ATI drivers.
3.) wget envy (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html)
4.) sudo dpkg -i envy*.deb
5.) sudo apt-get install -f
6.) sudo envy -t
7.) Select option 3 for automatic ATI install
8.) envy does it's thing, but after the install of the driver I get:
code:
ERROR: Module fglrx does not exist in /proc/modules
and after answering yes to automatic reconfig of xorg.conf, I get (twice) (something along the lines of):

code:
PARSER - MISSING SECTION
I then restart, and it's the same problem all over again. I have no idea how I got this to work the first time. I've :pt: 4 times now, trying different recommendations found through :google:, but I can't get it going.

My xorg.conf looks like (posting what I think is relevant, let me know if you want me to type out the whole thing:

code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier   "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
    Driver       "fglrx"
    BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option       "VideoOverlay"  "on"
    Option       "OpenGLOverlay" "off
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
    Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier   "Default Screen"
    Device       "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
    Monitor      "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth "24"
    Subsection "Display"
        Modes    "1280x800"
    End SubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option       "Composite"    "Enable"
EndSection
Any ideas? I'm about to go nuts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I tried to change the default OS in Grub (editing menu.lst), but the text editor said I don't have permission. Ok, pull up the terminal, sudo edit the file, and I get this response:

code:
Warning: unknown mime-type for "menu.lst" -- using "application/*"
Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"
I'm new to Linux, but I think this is telling me that the terminal doesn't know what program to use to edit this file. If this is right, how can I fix that? If not, how can I edit the file?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

hooah posted:

I tried to change the default OS in Grub (editing menu.lst), but the text editor said I don't have permission. Ok, pull up the terminal, sudo edit the file, and I get this response:

code:
Warning: unknown mime-type for "menu.lst" -- using "application/*"
Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"
I'm new to Linux, but I think this is telling me that the terminal doesn't know what program to use to edit this file. If this is right, how can I fix that? If not, how can I edit the file?

The MS-DOS EDIT program does not exist in linux. I don't know what the "edit" executable on your system is, but it seems like it has to do with e-mail, which is not what you want.

You want to use an editor such as vi, emacs, pico, nano, etc. Pico or Nano will probably be the most intuitive for a new user who just wants to quickly edit a config file. Try "sudo nano menu.lst"

Edit: Or you can use whatever GUI editor you're used to, like "sudo gedit menu.lst" (or kate, or whatever you use in place of gedit).

Smackbilly fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 21, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Smackbilly posted:

The MS-DOS EDIT program does not exist in linux. I don't know what the "edit" executable on your system is, but it seems like it has to do with e-mail, which is not what you want.

You want to use an editor such as vi, emacs, pico, nano, etc. Pico or Nano will probably be the most intuitive for a new user who just wants to quickly edit a config file. Try "sudo nano menu.lst"

Edit: Or you can use whatever GUI editor you're used to, like "sudo gedit menu.lst" (or kate, or whatever you use in place of gedit).

Well, that worked, as far as Grub is concerned, and I was able to change the default from Ubuntu (option 0) to Windows XP (option 4). However, now (and I don't know if the change to Grub is the cause) my Windows install is flipping out. The first couple of times I booted XP, it did this:

I went and changed the default OS to 0, and the monitor didn't freak out, but LiteStep sure did, and I couldn't connect to the Internet - I had an IP address, but when I tried pinging yahoo.com, I got "error code 65"s. I understand if a lot of this isn't covered in this thread, but what is going on?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Smackbilly posted:

"mailcap" is confusing here - I think "edit" is a wrapper that's trying to check the MIME type of the file and launch the appropriate editor, and failing because none is set for "application/*" (which is a fallback for "unknown type"). The db file it's checking is called "mailcap" because MIME types were first used for email attachments, but there's no reason to limit it to that.

t_rf
Nov 24, 2006

Marinmo posted:

http://felipec.wordpress.com/2007/04/28/gaimpidgin-rants-msn-history/
An ex-developer explanation for why Pidgin is dragging behind. According to him, all politics.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I just set up an Ubuntu server with some LVM action to act as a home fileserver. I'd like to do automated backups on a Mac using rsync.
I was attempting to do this (after entering my documents directory on my Macbook Pro in the terminal window...):
code:

MACBOOKPRO:Documents USER$ rsync servername:sambashare/Documents
ssh: connect to host servername port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-30/rsync/io.c(359)
(Where MACBOOKPRO replaces the Macbook Pro computer name, servername replaces the Ubuntu computer name, and sambashare replaces the mounted Samba share.)
As I understand, it should copy everything from the local directory to the directory specified.

I believe the error has to do something with the user/login.
How do I connect with a particular username and password?

I have the drive appearing in my Finder after I connected as a particular user (that I set up with full read/write access on the ubuntu server). The drive works fantastic - I just want to do some backups.
(Eventually I'd like to make it automated... Nonetheless, I'm a noob and must start somewhere) Please excuse me if this isn't 'linux enough' for this thread...

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

TheChipmunk posted:

code:
ssh: connect to host servername port 22: Connection refused
I believe the error has to do something with the user/login.
How do I connect with a particular username and password?

Your error implies no ssh listening on the other end, not a userid problem

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I see. What do I need to do in order to fix this?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

TheChipmunk posted:

I see. What do I need to do in order to fix this?

I'm pretty sure sshd is not installed with Ubuntu by default. Open up Synaptic and search for openssh-server. Once it's installed you shouldn't have to configure anything, unless you want to set up security, keys, etc.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Linux just blew my mind.

At my console I was in directory A, and then in my file manager I moved directory A into directory B. Then I went back to the console and did a cd .. . This put me into directory B!!!

(desktopflickrorganizer-v0.7 moved to directory ~/Programs)
patrick@Gohan ~/desktopflickrorganizer-v0.7 $ cd ..
patrick@Gohan ~/Programs $

I was fully expecting to be in my home directory after the cd. Has it always worked like this and I have just never noticed it?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Here's an in-depth question.

I have a Chaintech AV710 sound card (Envy24HT-S). I can get either analog sound to work, or optical sound to work, but not both at the same time. I have an .asoundrc that gets my spdif working, but it disables all my analog.

This is my .asoundrc
code:
#

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
format S32_LE
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8096

rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

#
I didn't write this script, I found it over the hours of searching for answers on this. SPDIF only works when this script is active.

I have ALSA 1.0.15 using snd_ice1724

edit: both work at the same time in XP, for what that's worth.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 22, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Linux just blew my mind.

At my console I was in directory A, and then in my file manager I moved directory A into directory B. Then I went back to the console and did a cd .. . This put me into directory B!!!

I was fully expecting to be in my home directory after the cd. Has it always worked like this and I have just never noticed it?

pretty sure it always has been this way for Linux.

Git
Aug 21, 2004

How are GTK themes and mouse cursors determined when using X11 forwarding over SSH? Forwarding graphical programs is handy as hell, but they always appear to adopt the ugly as butts default GTK theme (Raleigh, I think) and an impossible to see yellow mouse cursor, regardless of any settings I'm aware of on the server.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Linux just blew my mind.

Honestly, why would you not expect this behavior? :psyduck:

Think about it this way: I put you in a box, which is within Room A. From within the box, your muffled voice asks me to move you into Room B. I pick up the box with you in it (drat you're heavy :mad:) and move you into Room B, announcing your arrival once we're there. I open the box and you get out. Why would you look around and go "wait a sec why am I not in Room A? :confused:"? You friggin' asked for your box to be moved into Room B!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Should I post my question in the Haus of Tech Support instead?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

hooah posted:

:words:

Didn't post before as I don't have a solution, but as you've got no replies I can definitely say that Grub is not the cause of your Windows internet problems. HotS may be a good idea.

n3rd
Oct 8, 2001
The straw that breaks.

cioxx posted:

Some keys (a, g, b, etc.) aren't working on the laptop in Ubuntu 7.10

It's a Sony VAIO PCG-GR300P

I've tried nearly every generic layout in the keyboard panel but it still doesn't work. Any ideas how to fix it?

Are you sure it's Linux that's the cause of the problem and not the keyboard itself? Try to test it in the BIOS, a distro-on-a-CD type thing and maybe even fire up a Windows install and get it to a point where you can type.

KaeseEs
Feb 23, 2007

by Fragmaster

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Linux just blew my mind.

The special files '.' and '..' point to the current directory and its parent, respectively. When you moved directory 'A' into directory 'B', the '.' and '..' special files were changed accordingly to point to '/path/to/B/A' and '/path/to/B', respectively. It's always been like this.

As an aside, all of the following are equivalent (in that they all change to your home directory):
code:
cd /home/yourusername/
cd ~
cd

Insecticyde
Sep 21, 2007
broccoli is my anti-drug
I just switched to LinuxMint (built off of Ubuntu). The only problem that I'm having is a really stupid one, but it's driving me crazy. When I type a keyword into the address bar of Firefox, rather than doing the google "I'm feeling lucky" thing, it does a yahoo search.

For instance:
If I type "test" in the address bar:

It brings me to this page:

I have checked the about :config under Keyword.URL and it looks like it should be correct:

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I think it has something to do with LinuxMint's own version of firefox... maybe?

EDIT: Problem has been solved. It was a DNS issue.

Insecticyde fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 24, 2007

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Insecticyde posted:

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I think it has something to do with LinuxMint's own version of firefox... maybe?

I believe this is a Firefox issue.

Firefox Tips & Tricks posted:

Firefox Tips & Tricks
By default, if you enter a search term in the address field and press Enter, a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search is performed, and you're taken to the first result of that search directly. If you prefer to see the standard search result list instead, use about :config to change the value of the preference keyword.URL to http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=.

Of course, you could also change to a completely different search engine by changing the string to something else. The default search string is: "http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&q=".

Insecticyde
Sep 21, 2007
broccoli is my anti-drug
I have already checked Keyword.URL and it is set to the default string. I really don't know what else it can be. I have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox, and I got nothin'.

MillDaKill
Aug 19, 2003

How could you Carl?
I am on ubuntu 7.10 and I am looking for electricity saving tips. As of right now the only things I really have set up are CPU scaling and setting my monitor to turn off after 20 idle minuets. Can anyone tell me about hard drive suspending or anything else that might save some juice?

Supernaut
Jan 14, 2001
I ain't hardly a dorkus.
What is a good PCMCIA wireless card, that is supported out-of-the-box in Linux (2.6 kernels) without additional firmware, and can do WPA / WPA2? I'm trying to find one for my laptop. 802.11b is fine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Supernaut posted:

What is a good PCMCIA wireless card, that is supported out-of-the-box in Linux (2.6 kernels) without additional firmware, and can do WPA / WPA2? I'm trying to find one for my laptop. 802.11b is fine.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Anything in there that uses prism or madwifi (atheros) is probably good enough, but shoot for ralink or realtek.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 24, 2007

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!

Insecticyde posted:

I just switched to LinuxMint (built off of Ubuntu). The only problem that I'm having is a really stupid one, but it's driving me crazy. When I type a keyword into the address bar of Firefox, rather than doing the google "I'm feeling lucky" thing, it does a yahoo search.

For instance:
If I type "test" in the address bar:

It brings me to this page:

I have checked the about :config under Keyword.URL and it looks like it should be correct:

EDIT: Problem has been solved. It was a DNS issue.
Do you use Verizon as your ISP? I bet that's it. Try changing your DNS to OpenDNS or something.

edit: completely overlooked the 'problem solved', whoops.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Ubuntu is hardlocking after a random period of time...usually 1-3 hours after a reboot. The only thing I can do at that point is hit the magic sysreq keys. How do I figure out what's causing it? I don't see anything in any of the logs that matches up with the crash, just the reboot a few minutes later.

ian
Aug 12, 2003
In GNOME, all my applications have lost their top toolbar. Like in Firefox where it will say "Google" at the very top, that's gone -- for all apps. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
What happens if you type:

code:
metacity &
in a terminal, or, failing that,

code:
gtk-window-decorator &
?