Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007
New strip is up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahaha. That was great in a variety of ways. Particularly since you know that the security advisory system never actually goes off below "yellow" anyway; why do they even have green and blue?!

Plus, I am a big fan of Tsukiko's new gang. While they look ostensibly to just be undead hobgoblin casters, is their color scheme not slightly off for that? Not to mention their ears, or lack thereof. Or maybe hobgoblin skulls are just perfectly round (haha!)?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just because your undead are soulless doesn't mean they can't be well trained.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Quarex posted:

Hahaha. That was great in a variety of ways. Particularly since you know that the security advisory system never actually goes off below "yellow" anyway; why do they even have green and blue?!

Plus, I am a big fan of Tsukiko's new gang. While they look ostensibly to just be undead hobgoblin casters, is their color scheme not slightly off for that? Not to mention their ears, or lack thereof. Or maybe hobgoblin skulls are just perfectly round (haha!)?

Judging by their being even more pale than normal, the fangs, and the tattered capes, I'd say they're vampires.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They could very well be wights or any of several other undead, but yeah, probably vamps.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

They could very well be wights or any of several other undead, but yeah, probably vamps.

Maybe they're vampire spawn. They seem a little dim and subservient to be full-fledged vamps.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Manyorcas posted:

Judging by their being even more pale than normal, the fangs, and the tattered capes, I'd say they're vampires.
If they're vampires, they wouldn't make a very good goon squad for clearing out a city full of private property.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

PFlats posted:

If they're vampires, they wouldn't make a very good goon squad for clearing out a city full of private property.

Plus, they have upwards pointing fangs, I'd expect vampires, even hobgoblin vampires, to have a set of downward pointing fangs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PFlats posted:

To the victor go the spoils. By all rights, every property in the city is owned by Redcloak.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Soonmot posted:

Plus, they have upwards pointing fangs, I'd expect vampires, even hobgoblin vampires, to have a set of downward pointing fangs.

Well, they do have downward pointing fangs, they just don't show when their mouths are closed. Then again so do the regular hobgoblins and who knows if becoming a vampire increases the length of fangs a creature already has.

Also this caused me to check if they have shadows and this is the first time I noticed that none of the characters have shadows v:shobon:v

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Manyorcas posted:

Also this caused me to check if they have shadows and this is the first time I noticed that none of the characters have shadows v:shobon:v

Twist ending: all of the characters have been vampires from the begginning :aaa:

Actually, as long of a shot as that is, merely posting it now means Rich Burlew will never do it and if he was then he's already rewriting the entire story.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hedgehog King posted:

Not only that, but he just made me want to dust off my PHB and look to see if the rest of the 0th-level spells could be made useful. Sadly, my handbook is four states away.

I remember reading an article from WoTC about prestidigitation, mend, and a few other 0-level spells and all of the random little poo poo they could do that seemed innocuous but could turn the tide of a battle quite easily. I can't find it, but those 0-level spells do have some very creative uses if you put your mind to it.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

seaborgium posted:

I remember reading an article from WoTC about prestidigitation, mend, and a few other 0-level spells and all of the random little poo poo they could do that seemed innocuous but could turn the tide of a battle quite easily. I can't find it, but those 0-level spells do have some very creative uses if you put your mind to it.

If you need to send a secret message over a distance, and are worried about interception:

Write the message on a piece of pottery; smash it to pieces, send it to your wizard ally. He uses Mending, and there you go...

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Manyorcas posted:

Even though it was previously a punchline? :)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PFlats posted:

I don't think D&D vampires need to be invited into houses.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't think D&D vampires need to be invited into houses.
And yet, behold!

quote:

They are utterly unable to enter a home or other building unless invited in by someone with the authority to do so. They may freely enter public places, since these are by definition open to all.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

And yet, behold!

Of course, one could argue that either their own position gives them the authority to invite themselves into all buildings in the city, or either Redcloak or Xykon in their positions as current city rulers gave them permission for all property in the city.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Idran posted:

Of course, one could argue that either their own position gives them the authority to invite themselves into all buildings in the city, or either Redcloak or Xykon in their positions as current city rulers gave them permission for all property in the city.
I would argue that a lord's invitation would only work if a subject would honor it. If the rebels were working out of a house they owned, and wouldn't let Redcloak in, then the vampires wouldn't be allowed in either.

If there are some Vichy civilians who would let Redcloak enter, then the vampires would be allowed in as well (assuming Redcloak says they can).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PFlats posted:

I would argue that a lord's invitation would only work if a subject would honor it. If the rebels were working out of a house they owned, and wouldn't let Redcloak in, then the vampires wouldn't be allowed in either.

In most feudal systems, the lord legally owns all property. Since the rebels would not be the legal owners of the residence, any vampires should be able to just march in. (Redcloak's consent presumed.)

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

PFlats posted:

If there are some Vichy civilians who would let Redcloak enter, then the vampires would be allowed in as well (assuming Redcloak says they can).

Of course, Redcloak need not honor previous claims of property. By right of conquest he can simply claim the entire city as his regardless of previous ownership. He then has authority to allow vampires in anywhere.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

:siren:New Comic is Up!:siren:

Looks like they're Wights.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pineapples?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Taerkar posted:

Pineapples?

I guess he was hiding in the vase and climbing out took up his move action and he decided to use his awesome +1 to throwing halfling bonus? Also am I the only one who lost it when the wight ran back to the others tweeping his little whistle?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Spikey posted:

:siren:New Comic is Up!:siren:

Looks like they're Wights.

drat, I'm on a roll.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I knew that's where Belkar was. The sexy shoeless god of war would never abandon his companions. Not when they're in a city full of potential victims anyway.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
Check out the box in panels 2 and 4. If it was imported, does that mean that the "cloister" spell doesn't stop things from physically entering the city?

Where the heck is Greysky city, anyway? Is it some famous DnD place I've never heard of?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

magicalblender posted:

Check out the box in panels 2 and 4. If it was imported, does that mean that the "cloister" spell doesn't stop things from physically entering the city?

It was probably just stuff from other cities before the hobgoblin invasion happened. Although it wouldn't be fun to be in a box of pineapples that old now that I think about it.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It is probably a play on Greyhawk since he is not supposed to actually refer to those "setting" things by their actual names.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Could it be the name of one of the places to turn away the Azure fleet ships? Maybe they're unwilling to help because the hobgoblins are offering better trading deals.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I've wanted to do this for awhile, too.

:siren:New Strip is Up!:siren:

That's some mighty fast updating. Well, he doesn't seem to be carrying Roy's corpse. Wonder how much is still left.

By the way, how long does Lich-Paralysis last?

maltesh fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 21, 2007

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

maltesh posted:

By the way, how long does Lich-Paralysis last?
Unless you dispel it, it's permanent.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
Okay, Erfworld, at the top of the Klog we have Heavy Metal Golems, but what are the other three?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

gothfae posted:

Okay, Erfworld, at the top of the Klog we have Heavy Metal Golems, but what are the other three?

One is Rock, one is Acid, I don't know what the first one is.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
according to any earlier Klog http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0084.html they are Soft Rock, Acid Rock, Hard Rock, and Metal

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
How long do level drains last? Because they've always seemed horrifically powerful to me, especially if they're permanent.

Maldraedior posted:

according to any earlier Klog http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0084.html they are Soft Rock, Acid Rock, Hard Rock, and Metal

Things like this are why I keep reading Erfworld.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

ZorbaTHut posted:

How long do level drains last? Because they've always seemed horrifically powerful to me, especially if they're permanent.

It's not a level drain yet, just a negative level so he may not be completely hosed just yet. Of course, he is going to be hosed because it's funnier.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think I used energy-draining creatures once while DMing, and my players hated me so much that I never used them again. It's kind of a bitch of an ability.

On the other hand, I think we might have our answer as to how Roy is going to be able to keep up with the group. They'll all get level-drained back to his rez level! Hah!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Level drains really are a steaming pile of bullshit. I think it is a lot more lax in 3.5 though.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
He would get a fort check (10 +1/2 the wights HD I think)after 24 hours to remove the level drain, and with his levels of ranger and barbarian he should easily pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

greatn posted:

Level drains really are a steaming pile of bullshit. I think it is a lot more lax in 3.5 though.

And thankfully when 4e rolls around they'll be gone entirely. Because gently caress them.