Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Latin Words posted:

One thing that's so interesting about this series to me is that it's kind of using fantasy as an indictment against fantasy, like when that little girl earlier in the series became an elf queen apostle as a result of being obsessed with fairytale elves. She got so attached to her ideas of elves being real that it became a way to mentally escape the reality of her abusive father and generally horrible life. I think the message is "ignore reality too much and you will become a monster."
I think the message is "be a selfish dick and Guts will loving cut you in half."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Sindai posted:

I think the message is "be a selfish dick and Guts will loving cut you in half."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
How come no one seems to give a gently caress that Griffith's army is made up of mutants and monsters :(

Humanity :doom:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Don't judge a book by its cover. :v:

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Have they even seen any of Griffith's more... unorthodox troops? They've certainly seen their inhuman abilities, but other than that I don't think anyone's gotten any indication they're monsters outside of Griffith's camp. Griffith is already a legend for his faultless performance and unlikely victories as a mercenary, so it wouldn't raise too many eyebrows to see him upsetting the balance of power again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, I think the only times they've used apostle form to fight they've been alone, so the rest of the world just thinks they're huge badasses instead of demons.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

Yeah, I think the only times they've used apostle form to fight they've been alone, so the rest of the world just thinks they're huge badasses instead of demons.

They have an entire division of GIANTS and mutants who run on 4 legs!! He deployed them against Kushan's army like, every time!

They saved Mule's stupid group of idiots!! No one cares :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Scoobi posted:

They have an entire division of GIANTS and mutants who run on 4 legs!! He deployed them against Kushan's army like, every time!

They saved Mule's stupid group of idiots!! No one cares :(

Yes, they're just monstrously strong people though. As opposed to when they transform into their apostle forms they become simply monsters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Zorak posted:

Yes, they're just monstrously strong people though. As opposed to when they transform into their apostle forms they become simply monsters.

Dude, no way, the mutant raiders led by Zodd are all kinds of hosed up looking. They're gross :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Scoobi posted:

Dude, no way, the mutant raiders led by Zodd are all kinds of hosed up looking. They're gross :(

We've seen them before. They're weird looking humans in their human form, but it's not until they go Apostle that poo poo goes to hell. Every Apostle could pass as a really hosed up, monstrous human, they only look truly monstrous when they unleash their Apostle power.

The exception for some reason being Locus, who looks like a normal human in human form.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Zorak posted:

Grunberd being the coolest in both forms

Dim Mak
Apr 15, 2007

"def touch"
I'm a little interested in how Schierke's angle is going to play out. She seems a bit smitten with Guts, and on the one hand it could be the strong male/big brother/fatherly kind of attraction(much like Farneze's attraction to him seems to be), but she keeps dropping hints that it might be something more, i don't know, jailbaitly.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Dim Mak posted:

I'm a little interested in how Schierke's angle is going to play out. She seems a bit smitten with Guts, and on the one hand it could be the strong male/big brother/fatherly kind of attraction(much like Farneze's attraction to him seems to be), but she keeps dropping hints that it might be something more, i don't know, jailbaitly.

The Skull Knight and Guts comparison, Shierke might be like the old witch (her name escapes me right now) is to the Skull Knight(Guts).

Either way its refreshing in a way in a manga thats always dark, depressing, and just loving crazy, to have something thats cute. Comic relief for the rest of the time they have heads exploding and eyes popping out of skulls.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dim Mak posted:

Well the fact that Evarella constantly makes fun of her to Schierke's embarrassment, it's quite obvious she has a bit of a crush in him. Farneze's relationship him I wouldn't say is fatherly as much as like an inspirational icon to her, like Griffith is to the rest. He's inspiring in his own way, and his defiance against the world, his utter will make him a mirror and yet a foil to Griffith in a lot of ways. The same reasons Farneze follows Guts could lead her to follow Griffith in time.

But yeah, Schierke's crush on Guts is pretty much not two-way; Guts has a paternal like feeling with her, but it'd be hard to go that car. It's more properly on his end just elaboration on his comradeship-like vibes he gets.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I finally caught up in this series, and boy is it frustrating to be in the "wait of undetermined length" club. I'll deal with it, because Berserk rocks and I would never be able to resist reading as soon as the latest chapters come out.
The story is a weird fusion of children's manga clichés (little girl in a wizard outfit summons powerful spells! hero gains powerup that is actually the evil inside him! ragtag group on a grand journey consisting of story arcs ending in boss fights!) and, uh, rape and genocide. Also I know he can't just cut it out, but the author is starting to get on my nerves by spending a full-page picture and a few more pages reminding us how awesome Griffith is every loving time we see him.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Fedora Chap posted:

reminding us how awesome Griffith is every loving time we see him.

Its supposed to piss you off. Griffith is being deified as a Saint by Midland and the entirety of Europe and the reader + Guts are the only ones who really realize what an evil, unforgivable rear end in a top hat he is. Griffith has the world as his bitch right now; his conflict with Gankushka is just another "fated" (created of course) thing to build up his power and prestige.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Things will all be rectified with the inevitable 6 double splash pages of Guts cutting Griffith in half, reminind us all how badass and aweosme Guts is :cool:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I really don't know how Miura is able to release chapters "whenever he feels like it". Doesn't he want to finish it and move on? Last I heard he was projecting the series to be 50 volumes, and if he keeps going the rate he's going we'll all be 15 years older by that time.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Gvaz posted:

I really don't know how Miura is able to release chapters "whenever he feels like it". Doesn't he want to finish it and move on? Last I heard he was projecting the series to be 50 volumes, and if he keeps going the rate he's going we'll all be 15 years older by that time.

Fifty to sixty volumes, yeah, but nobody is absolutely sure of that number. Sources for this kinda thing are rare. He is allowed to write them slowly because he isn't merely making them whenever he feels like it. He's making them as fast as he can mostly by himself.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Zoolooman posted:

Fifty to sixty volumes, yeah, but nobody is absolutely sure of that number. Sources for this kinda thing are rare. He is allowed to write them slowly because he isn't merely making them whenever he feels like it. He's making them as fast as he can mostly by himself.

But I thought he had a small like 5 man team going at one point? And the source was the interview on the DVD.

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man

Gvaz posted:

But I thought he had a small like 5 man team going at one point? And the source was the interview on the DVD.

I rather have Miura taking his time to release 'em rather than seeing them being rushed out the window. He has such high quality per chapter I can wait months for them.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Gvaz posted:

He does. Studio Gaga works with him on some chapters, doesn't on others. Also, awesome, an interview. Which DVD?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gvaz posted:

Doesn't he want to finish it and move on?

He has stated repeatedly that Berserk is his magnum opus, his life's work, his masterpiece. He wants it to be perfect and lasting.

It shows.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Zoolooman posted:

He does. Studio Gaga works with him on some chapters, doesn't on others. Also, awesome, an interview. Which DVD?

On the back of the box set that I have.
Looks like this:

Link to buy here.

This is the back, click for big.

Zorak posted:

He has stated repeatedly that Berserk is his magnum opus, his life's work, his masterpiece. He wants it to be perfect and lasting.

It shows.

I wasn't insulting his work by any means, I love it. I'm just complaining is all :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you could provide me with a guarantee that Miura isn't going to die in the next 15 years I have no problem with him taking his time. I just fear the worst!

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Nate RFB posted:

If you could provide me with a guarantee that Miura isn't going to die in the next 15 years I have no problem with him taking his time. I just fear the worst!

Hopefully if he does kick the bucket, his son and Kevin J. Anderson can use his notes to write a series of wonderful prequels that flesh out the world and characters before culminating with a taut, well written conclusion that includes some of new, interesting characters they've introduced to the story.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
^ Ouch :( Poor Dune.

Nate RFB posted:

He's only 40 right now, so in terms of age he has some longevity ahead of him. The odds favor him so we can only hope.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It's not that much more likely he'll die in the next 15 years than it was he'd die in the last 15. If he keeps up this current loving release schedule though of about 10 chapters a year who knows if we'll be close to finished in 15 years or if the crew will just be sailing back to land from where they're going now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

It's not that much more likely he'll die in the next 15 years than it was he'd die in the last 15. If he keeps up this current loving release schedule though of about 10 chapters a year who knows if we'll be close to finished in 15 years or if the crew will just be sailing back to land from where they're going now.

The big thing for me is going to be whether or not they cure Caska when they reach the elf island place. If they don't cure Caska I'm going to be kinda pissed, since it'll be a sign (at least to me) that Miura isn't planning on moving the plot forward in any meaningful ways any time soon. I really hope they don't get there only to be forwarded to some other location/individual who they need to gather item X from in order to cure Caska.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

FallenGod posted:

Hopefully if he does kick the bucket, his son and Kevin J. Anderson can use his notes to write a series of wonderful prequels that flesh out the world and characters before culminating with a taut, well written conclusion that includes some of new, interesting characters they've introduced to the story.
NO.
SHUT UP.
IF YOU EVER SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT AGAIN I AM GOING TO FLAY YOU.

:smith:

theodrin
Oct 14, 2006

SUUUPERRR!!!~
Are those burn scars permanent?

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man

theodrin posted:

Are those burn scars permanent?

1. I doubt it.
2. Please stop bumping the thread. Every time I see someone writing smth here I get my hopes up believing the next chap has been released. :(

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Picked up the Dark Horse print volume 20 just a few days ago (along with a volume 1 of Eiken, boobs soothe berserker blood lust). The way that the story continues to carry itself with twists, turns, and forboding prophecy keeps me hooked in tight. I recently started rooming up with an old friend of mine, who's totally trying to convince me about the badass-ness of Lone Wolf & Cub (I totally already know about it but he won't shut up) and I'm trying to get him to read Berserk since I figured anyone with a taste for the Shogun Assassin level of gore and blood would dig Berserk.

My other roommate has a brother who got a huge hard-on for the anime series, complaining about how they aren't producing any more episodes. I kindly refer him to the big stack of manga volumes I have but he's one of those 'I HATE TO READ GIMME MY BEWB-TOOB!' types. Poor dopey bastard.

P.S. Bumping just to make ^^this^^ mortal squirm.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

February 9th, and still no release date set.

I've been waiting so long :smith:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

February 9th, and still no release date set.

I've been waiting so long :smith:

Over four months :(

edit; Maybe Miura can write only every eclipse. There's one coming up on the 20th :v:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 10, 2008

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
According to Skullknight.net, Berserk will resume again on the 23rd. Take that as you will, but I've always found them to be a reliable source of information.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jimmybob posted:

According to Skullknight.net, Berserk will resume again on the 23rd. Take that as you will, but I've always found them to be a reliable source of information.

... maybe my eclipse prediction is right :raise:

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Dammit, I thought the new chapter was out as well.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I watched Berserk for the first time last weekend. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about it and really liked it. Even depsite Ricket, who seemed to bother me for some reason and had fun calling Gaston Conrad, that minister, and everyone else apparently "Goku" everytime they spoke. Probably the best part of the anime series is the ending. Which came out of absolutely nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Taumpy Tearrs posted:

Probably the best part of the anime series is the ending. Which came out of absolutely nowhere.

You should probably read the manga since the entire series is along the lines of what happens in the end. Except more awesome.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 13, 2008