Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Do you mean are there any companies that will consolidate those?

The answer is yes. You will need to consolidate the private loans and federal loans separately, though.

That Which Squeaks, you are very welcome. I'm glad it has helped :)

I have not forgotten my promise to discuss the new laws affecting the industry. It's just that some of the changes are not finalized; it's hard to distinguish fact from horrible rumor. It is coming eventually though, I promise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis
Wiggy, in your experience or anyone elses for that matter, how exactly does Sallie Mae screw people over? I hear a lot of bad things, though it doesn't always seem that the company is really out to get people. Are they really evil or just portrayed?

So you can't consolidate both federal and private? They have to be seperate? Why is that? Or you can't consolidate federal at all?

Phate
Nov 5, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

Do you mean are there any companies that will consolidate those?

The answer is yes. You will need to consolidate the private loans and federal loans separately, though.

That Which Squeaks, you are very welcome. I'm glad it has helped :)

I have not forgotten my promise to discuss the new laws affecting the industry. It's just that some of the changes are not finalized; it's hard to distinguish fact from horrible rumor. It is coming eventually though, I promise!

To follow up with that. Is there a preferred company to consolodate private student loans with? Do the companies in the OP deal with private loans as well or just the federal loans?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Xenixx, I'm just gonna post something I wrote a couple of pages back with some minor edits:

This was recently asked of me a couple of times, and I feel it's something worth mentioning in the thread. It's no secret that I hate Sallie Mae, but the question asked was: why?

Here's my reasoning, broken down into a rant:

Sallie Mae is notorious for atrocious business practices, and even worse customer service. They have outsourced a good bit of their customer service to India, which means someone in India can view all of your personal information with every call. Sometimes I do get an American, but that's very rare. Coincidentally, this outsourcing caused Chase to drop them like a hot potato as their servicing agent, and then promptly sue for breech of contract. Good job Sallie.

Also, when I last conferenced with them, their representative began pushing Geico car insurance at the end of the call on the student. Car insurance.

They are hated in the student loan industry for very good reason; it is worth mentioning that they were outed on every single count of illegality and wrongdoing in the recent investigation by Cuomo. And contrary to the press reports, NOT every lender is like them. Not even close.

They give the entire business a bad name and treat their borrowers like SCUM. I hate them, hate hate hate!

Plus they SUCK at consolidations. We had so many issues last year with their information, it was unbelievable. Underpayments everywhere, and in the meantime the poor borrower is going delinquent in our system because Sallie Mae is notorious in the consolidation business for not looking at all the pages in a consolidation application. So if the student has a lot of loans, chances are Sallie Mae will miss one or eight on the first try to pay off the account - and this sucks for everyone involved.

I'm sure if you never have to deal with them directly it's fine, but the moment that company has to step in and provide you with anything, it all goes downhill.

To add to this rant: Sallie Mae is their own guarantor.

This means that it is in their best interest for a student to default on their loans because then they collect guarantor fees.

Think about that.

The recent regulations actually did cut the everliving poo poo out of guarantor revenues, which may help to negate this trend with Sallie...but there's no promise. It would still benefit them for your poor little butt to default.

Hate them. Hate.

You can consolidate federal and private loans but you must consolidate them separately. If you take out one large personal loan and use this to pay off your federal and private loans this is the only way you can combine them.

Normally people with that much debt cannot take out a personal loan of the size they'd need, but it happens occasionally.

Phate, I am only personally aware of two: Loan to Learn and SimpleTuition. There are *tons* of companies which will consolidate private loans, though, so please please please shop around!!!

The companies in the OP are federal loans only. Sorry :(

Miniedd
Oct 2, 2005
I took out a loan to do a three year psychology course, I decided to stop doing the course after the first year and take a year out to work full time and re-assess. I want to go back to the same uni and do a different course, do I get 3 years worth of loans or only two?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
From the OP:

This is a list of the current aggregate limits. These limits are due to change soon, but are currently in effect. You cannot take out more Stafford loans, per year, than the amounts listed. The school determines the amount you will be given; there is no guarantee that you will receive the full amount listed. You may be *eligible,* but you still might not receive it. The lender can do nothing, absolutely nothing, to change this.

NOTE: Medical students have different limits. You'll have to contact your Financial Aid Office for those numbers.

Year One:

Subsidized - 3500.00
Unsubsidized - 4000.00
Total Eligibility: 7500.00

Year Two

Sub - 4500.00
Unsub - 4000.00
Total: 8500.00

Year Three-Five

Sub - 5500.00
Unsub - 5000.00
Total: 10500.00

Graduate & Professional

Sub - 8500.00
Unsub - 12000.00
Total: 20500.00

You may receive up to 6 years of Stafford loans, provided you don't go over your aggregate limit. I do not believe private loans have the same limits.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Extremely stupid question about when it talks about Year 1-5:

Does it mean year 1-5 of school or year 1-5 of getting loans? For example, this fall I will be transferring as a Junior but it will be the first time I need student loans. Would I get up to the year 3 limit since I will be a Junior, or am I going to be considered year 1 since it'll be my first year getting a loan?

I suspect it is talking about years in school, but I just want to make sure.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Actually, it's referring to classification, credits-wise.

Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, and essentially super-senior.

Credits-wise, if you enter school with enough credits to be considered a sophomore, this means you are only eligible for FOUR years of Stafford loans. If you become a junior halfway through your sophomore year, you then only have TWO years left. Make sense?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm about to graduate from university in Minnesota. One of the loans I took out was called the Minnesota SELF Loan, which is done through a state agency. Does this count as a federal loan or a private loan or something completely different when it comes to consolidation?

Secondly, is there anything I can do about scammy-sounding consolidation letters that companies like to send me in the mail?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The SELF loan is a private loan and would need to be consolidated separately. But theoretically you *should* be able to consolidate it with a private loan consolidation agency.

Unfortunately...no. The recent regulations did make it illegal (yes guys, ILLEGAL) to send an actual consolidation application without the borrower's request, but that doesn't stop the companies from sending oodles of flyers. Hopefully the amount of flyers has dropped.

The recent regulations also made it so that consolidation is, in essence, no longer profitable for a company to do. A ton of the horrible little cheapskate companies no longer exist because of this - which can only be seen as a good thing - but a ton of legitimate lenders have also dropped out of consolidation, which narrows the student's choice for a lender.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
How hard is it to find a company that will consolidate private loans, and do you have any suggestions on where to start looking? Is it smart to look at semi-local banks (i.e. Wells Fargo), or should I look for companies that specialize in student loan consolidation?

I just graduated a week ago, and I'm looking to consolidate. I currently owe Sallie Mae $53k, and the government $22k, and the interest rates on my private loans currently range from 7.5% to 10.5%. I know Sallie Mae does consolidations, because they keep sending me poo poo about it, but based on what I've read (specifically in this thread) I don't want to deal with them any longer than I have to.

I can easily get one of my parents to cosign, since they're on all my private loans. I'll be making decent money as an engineer. I just want to get away from Sallie Mae, and I want to make life easier on myself for the next 500 years. I'm not interested in the lower monthly payment so much as getting a solid interest rate and a single bill per month.

Also, are there any companies that will do both? I know they can't be consolidated together, but what are the chances I can find a single company that will consolidate each of them for me?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Weird question.

I graduated law school last May. My understanding was my loans would go into repayment around the end of November, with the first payment being due at the end of Dec or beginning of Jan.

So far, thats whats happened with my federal loans. I've got an early Jan due date on those (I have no idea what the status of my NTHEA consolidation is). However, on my private loans through citibank, when I called to figure out when a payment was due, as I hadn't received any bills (other than the ones they sent while in school that list an amount due but its not real because its deferred) since graduation. They say they think I'm in school until January, and my grace period won't end until 6 months after that. I didn't correct them, because I really don't have the money to pay that loan and I'm under the impression that you're not as likely to get a forbearance from a private lender. Any idea why they think I'm graduating 6 months later than I am? Any way I can get in trouble for this? Anyway that not saying anything and enjoying my extra 6 months could backfire in some horrible way?

Could it have anything to do with a couple bar study loans I got after graduation? My only theory was that their system is retarded and getting a loan after my graduation date makes it think that I must still be in school so it tacks on another semester.

Also, if I want a forbearance on my federal loans (payment only $329 so I'm not sure if I need it or not), how does me being in consolidation limbo affect that? I haven't received anything from NTHEA saying its done, and I still occasionally get Sallie Mae emails (after the first one I got saying "we received a consolidation request, don't leave us, please call" which I promptly ignored).

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
DaveSauce, just Google "private loan consolidation" or "private student loan consolidation" and you'll pull up several companies. It's not hard to find a company to do it; it's hard to find a GOOD company to do it.

Companies that will do both exist, and I honestly have no idea who they may be. But they are out there. Right now, though, they will be VERY hard to find because consolidation as a program just became very unprofitable for a company to participate in, so a lot of lenders/companies dissolved their consolidation divisions.

There is nothing wrong with looking at a local bank for a consolidation, but private student loans are their own program and need a specialized program in order to be consolidated. Same for federal loans. If I'm not mistaken, Wells Fargo does offer federal loan consolidation, but I'm not sure about private loans.

Kase Im Licht, the in-school deferment you have is based on notifications that the company receives from your school. So until the school lets them know you're out, you'll be fine.

A forbearance doesn't affect your consolidation in any way. The only thing to be careful about is that it will NOT carry over after your consolidation has completed, so you will need to re-request it be applied.

If you used a temporary hardship forbearance (verbal forbearance), this time is renewed upon consolidation. Yey! Three fresh years! Always be wary of how much of this time you have; you don't want to run out prematurely.

Congratulations on your graduation!!! :)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Thanks. I have another question. I was talking to my brother today, and he said that Wells Fargo refused to consolidate his federal loans because they were purchased by Sallie Mae, so he had to consolidate with Sallie Mae for those. At least, that's what Wells Fargo told him when he called them up after being rejected twice.

Is this common, or was Wells Fargo just being bitchy?

FudgyPumpkin
Aug 24, 2005
I am on the internet.
YIKES! I just read all the Sallie Mae hate, perhaps a day too late since I currently have a private consolidation loan pending with them and have already consolidated my federal loans there and made the first payment. I've been approved for a private consolidation loan with a cosigner and the first disbursement date is January 8th, so I have until then to cancel the loan if I want to. The interest rate is 8 percent (the rates of the four being consolidated are 9.25, 9.5, 7.5 and 7.25). Is this a terrible loan to accept?

I'm also applying with the Peace Corps and neither Sallie Mae nor Citibank offer deferments on private loans. Are there any companies who do? I'm not exactly sure how I'd be making payments while living in a hut in Africa and I don't think my parents would love to do it either...

All of my private student loans were from Sallie Mae and I currently owe about 69,000. Advice for everyone else: think long and hard before you jet off to that private school.

FudgyPumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 26, 2007

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I'd just like to add that North Texas Higher Education Authority is changing the benefits they offer for consolidating with them. If you want to lock in to what they currently offer you have to submit your application prior to January 1st, 2008.

Many thanks to Wiggy Marie for all the help over the past year or so!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
DaveSauce, has he already consolidated before? When they say the loans were purchased do they mean from a rehabilitation or was it a purchase between two lenders?

Part of the new regulations is that a student who has loans with one lender must consolidate with that lender unless a different company can beat their benefits. That's right kids, that nifty little "borrower choice" nonsense has been eliminated! It's not like customer service and shopping around are a good thing anyway! Isn't that just great?! Yeah...yeah no.

However as far as I'm currently aware this new policy isn't actually effective yet, but there is a high possibility that some companies are already practicing it since technically it was effective October 1st. Great, huh?

What I would do is have him call again and ask the Wells Fargo agent to clarify just why they can't consolidate his loans, as he has been informed that borrowers do have a choice about who they consolidate with. If they blow him off just tell him to ask for someone higher up; if they explain about the new regulations, well...there you go.

FudgyPumpkin, that interest rate is actually not bad at all, especially for private loans. Just be aware that it is most likely variable and will change. In terms of deferments/forbearances for Peace Corps...I am personally not aware of any private loan company which does this, unfortunately :( It never hurts to shop around and ask, though.

I won't lie, I have a raging hatred against Sallie Mae and everything it represents, but if you split your payments into 2 and do everything online you should be fine.

navarrete, thank you for the head's up! A lot of lenders are sharing this same deadline so do what you can while you can guys! Things are about to get really sticky in consolidation land - well, even stickier, anyway.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I am looking to attend Northeastern in the Spring of 09 when I'm released from the military. I know the GI bill will give me about $1,300 a month but that isn't exactly much going to school there (about 40K a year). My parents have already offered to help out a little depending on what NEU offers but they obviously won't pay for all of it.

What would be my best way to go about getting aid as an independent on the FAFSA? Will I be able to afford 40K a year? I'm trying to come up with a general plan about a year out.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
So I talked to NTHEA and the consolidation has finished. If I hadn't been in CA for Christmas I probably would had received the paperwork from them already. So its all paid off and when I get home in a couple days I will probably call about a forbearance.

I think I asked about forbearances before, but don't remember where that was, and I see you mentioned them a little in your last reply to me. Is it really as simple as calling them up, saying I can't pay right now, and getting another year (or more) to put off payments?
I realize I really can't pay my federal loans right now and probably won't be able to for 6 months or more. And hell, the longer I can put them off and concentrate my payments on my private loans, the better, even if I could make the minimums on both.

And a weird thing. When I logged into SallieMae's webpage to make sure everything was paid off (after reading some horror stories in this thread about loans not getting entirely paid off and people getting in trouble for not paying on loans they thought were paid off), everything was paid off, but all my loan balances were negative, to a total of about -$1200. I have six different loans (a sub and unsub stafford each year for 3 years). Each is negative by about $200 with a little variation.

Any idea what happened here? Did NTHEA give them too much money to pay off the loans for some reason? Will this balance out? How will that happen?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The verbal forbearance (aka temporary hardship forbearance) really is that easy :)

They'll hopefully try to check and see if you can have a deferment of some kind before slapping on the forb. If they don't, ask them to. It never hurts to at least check.

Also some lenders have switched to only doing the forb for 6 months instead of a year at a time. You still have a full 3 years but would need to call in 6 months to have this re-applied. No biggie there. Remember the accruing interest

It sounds like NTHEA made an overpayment. Sallie will return this to NTHEA. This normally happens in about 30-45 days. You don't need to do anything but wait it out. I'd say if two months go by and Sallie is still sitting on it, call and bitch someone out...I mean, inquire nicely about what the hold-up is :)

skeptic22
Aug 13, 2004
Immaculate
Currently I have all my student loans (private and federal) through Sallie Mae and would like to take an in school deferment. Sallie Mae's criteria is that you have to be a half time student in order to be eligible for this deferment. My problem is that I want to be a half time student, but not be enrolled in a degree program as I just completed my Bachelor's and want to bolster my language skills and take a philosophy graduate course before I apply to a PhD program.

Common half time status criteria would require a student to take 6 credits, and I wish to take 7 total credits. Since Sallie Mae says nothing about requiring one to be seeking a terminal degree in their deferment criteria, do you think I would be eligible, or are they just omitting that requirement in their material?

Wolf Shirt Fanny Pack
Dec 29, 2005
If anyone could help me it would be so greatly appreciated. I need a loan for next semester to pay for college or I can't go. The catch is I don't have anyone to co-sign with me, my mom kept saying she would do it but now four days before classes start she backed out. I have about 3 months of credit history, and I've payed all my payments on time, and don't have a job because the job I had could only have me working there first semester. Is there any place that will give me a loan? I don't care about rates, I'll take anything. If I can't keep going to school I won't even have a place to live, my mom decided she wants to rent out my room for extra money ( not loving kidding).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Wolf Shirt Fanny Pack posted:

If anyone could help me it would be so greatly appreciated. I need a loan for next semester to pay for college or I can't go. The catch is I don't have anyone to co-sign with me, my mom kept saying she would do it but now four days before classes start she backed out. I have about 3 months of credit history, and I've payed all my payments on time, and don't have a job because the job I had could only have me working there first semester. Is there any place that will give me a loan? I don't care about rates, I'll take anything. If I can't keep going to school I won't even have a place to live, my mom decided she wants to rent out my room for extra money ( not loving kidding).
It's very unlikely you can find a loan without a cosigner. Your best chance is to re-convince your mom to cosign.

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004
Go sell stupid someplace else.
Ok you helped me out when I was trying to figure out things for school and I'm in, I got the loans, I start Monday!

My question is this:

I have the two kinds of loans, subsidized and unsubsidized. Fine. They will use those for tuition, and then I will get a voucher to go to the bookstore and pick up my books and they will take it out of the loans (I got NO grants).

Now there will be money left over and they said it can be used for transportation, child care, other school related stuff. Great! But my school said I have to be in school 60 days before they will give me the money.

Students with Pell Grants get money next week/week after. Is this school policy or policy of the loan? I could really use the money for a lot of school related expenses, now, not later. Especially the transportation. One of my classes is going to require a bit of traveling. I'd hate to drop out because I didn't have enough to get to class.

murderknobs
Oct 12, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Wolf Shirt Fanny Pack posted:

myrichuncle.com

saved my rear end.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I'm worried about the financial shape I'll be in after college. I have a half-scholarship, but the program that I'm in isn't cheap. After 4yrs, I'll have about 15k Stafford Loans and 50k Plus loans through Citibank with any interest that occurred while deferring them.

Is this loan manageable on a nurse's salary, say 70k a year, provided I spend reasonably and don't go out and buy another car after graduation? What would the monthly payments look like after consolidating for 10yrs? I don't want to get in over my head.

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004

jromano posted:

I'm worried about the financial shape I'll be in after college. I have a half-scholarship, but the program that I'm in isn't cheap. After 4yrs, I'll have about 15k Stafford Loans and 50k Plus loans through Citibank with any interest that occurred while deferring them.

Is this loan manageable on a nurse's salary, say 70k a year, provided I spend reasonably and don't go out and buy another car after graduation? What would the monthly payments look like after consolidating for 10yrs? I don't want to get in over my head.

I'm not near where you are but did you look up loan forgiveness (repayment?) programs for nurses? I saw a bunch of fed ones and state ones, if you go in certain specialties. Maybe you can get one? This is something I looked at last year and thought "oh cool, I'll look into that when I'm getting ready to graduate" so I don't have more details than that.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
skeptic22, the federal requirement is that the student be enrolled at least half-time. I'm not aware of any lender which checks to see if you are degree-seeking as well; it's the number of hours you're enrolled that counts.

Wolf Shirt Fanny Pack, wolffenstein is right. You're going to need to beg. Are there places that would give you a private loan? Your answer is a firm MAYBE (try myrichuncle, as was suggested. I've not heard anything bad about them). It'd be safer to have her contribute - and also beg for your room if needed.

Thank you for the suggestion, murderknobs!

Kibbles, what up!!! That sounds like a decidedly retarded school policy. There is no federal guideline telling the schools they have to wait that long to give you your own freakin' money. I'd harass someone in financial aid, personally. There has to be something else. Tell them that it makes no sense to withhold federal loans from the student for so long because these are used for studies and living expenses - which is the freakin' intention!!!

jromano, to add on to what Kibbles said, there are tons of hospitals that will actually help you pay on your student loans. Yes it is doable; no it is not easy. If you want an amortization you should try going to a student lender website and plug in your figures; when calculating the principal balance INCLUDE YOUR PRIVATE LOAN AMOUNT because this will be taken into account when you actually do consolidate. The repayment term would be 120 (number of payments).

To everyone helping out with suggestions: thank you!!!!! Please keep that up! I'm not always able to answer quickly and I do NOT in any way mind if y'all help each other out too.

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a way to opt out of the grace period after graduation for only some of your loans?

I have 3 loans:
1 private
1 stafford unsub.
1 stafford sub.

I would like to start making payments on the two that are collecting interest while I let the third sit alone for 6 months. My total loan amount isn't really too high, and I have a well paying job now, but don't want to get crucified with interest.

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

Kibbles, what up!!! That sounds like a decidedly retarded school policy. There is no federal guideline telling the schools they have to wait that long to give you your own freakin' money. I'd harass someone in financial aid, personally. There has to be something else. Tell them that it makes no sense to withhold federal loans from the student for so long because these are used for studies and living expenses - which is the freakin' intention!!!

To everyone helping out with suggestions: thank you!!!!! Please keep that up! I'm not always able to answer quickly and I do NOT in any way mind if y'all help each other out too.
THank you SO MUCH. Now that I *know* it is school policy only, I can push to get my money sooner. I was afraid they would tell me otherwise. I'm going to state my case calmly but firmly. I have a lot of financial responsibilities and going to school is increasing them. (Mom of 3 with one disabled kid who requires special child care. Spouse working out of town for months at a time.) I would seriously hate to drop out because my child care fell through or they cancel the public transportation from one campus to another. (I have one class, 3x a week, in another town.) I see no reason for them to sit on the money that long. Boy, Monday is going to be fun

mosquito
Jan 2, 2008
I only ask small questions
I tried to find my question, but all the loan-speak made my eyes bleed after a few pages, so I thought I'd just post my situation, since the answer should be pretty simple.

Here's the deal, I've racked up about $60k in stafford (unsub and sub) loans for a master's program I'm in. I'll be done in May at which point I will either work or go for a PhD.

If I were to work for say 2 or 3 years and began repaying the loan, and then returned to school for a PhD... would my loans magically go back on hold or would I continue having to pay them back? This is important for me, because it will be the major factor in deciding if I should get work experience or just go straight for more schooling.

And to everyone, what's the best way to figure out a strategy for paying this all back, is there someone to talk to about your future and what the cheapest/least painful way will be?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Scissors, yes. BUT I would highly recommend you don't. You may start making payments while in your grace period without any penalty at all, and you won't need to worry about a due date. Just set up an automatic payment through your bank or something similar.

Kibbles, let me know how that goes. For I am horribly curious.

mosquito, any time you are at least half-time or more at a school that is eligible to participate in the federal student loan program (they just have to be eligible to, not actually participate in), you are entitled to the In School Deferment. Sometimes you'll need to send in the verification of enrollment from the school yourself, or there is an actual In School Deferment form you could make use of. Very handy!

Most likely with that kind of balance you're going to need to make use of an extended repayment plan OR a consolidation. When repayment time comes, you can call your servicer for the best option.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!
(sorry if this has been asked already)

I have 2 consolidated loans right now, one private and one federal. Currently the payments on both of them are destroying my income so I tried to consolidate the two together, however it seems a lot of places won't merge the two.

My question is this:

-Is it possible to find someone that will consolidate the two loans I have?

-Is it a good idea to do this? (because I just read that it isn't)

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?
How easy (or possible?) is it to get a student loan for a U.S. student/citizen who wants to get his degree abroad, say at University in South America?

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
I am considering staying in school 3 more years to pursue aviation training. As of right now I am a senior in college and currently have 0 loans taken out. The main problem is that flying costs a lot of money. Going off my university's current tuition rate and amount of flight fee's I can expect it to be around $8.5k per year in tuition (assuming full time) and $10k in flight fees. In your initial post you said that how long you qualify for stafford loans is dependent upon class status, how does that work if you are doing a second program?

I haven't yet filled out the FAFSA because I just don't know the numbers to determine what I am eligible for and expected to pay. I didn't even fill it out when I started college because my mother's accountant told her not even to bother because I wouldn't qualify for anything substantial. At this point in time are private loans my only option?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Combat Shotgun, the only way I've ever heard of people being able to consolidate federal and private loans together is to take out a personal loan and use that to pay them off. There is currently no program available to combine the two in a regular consolidation (that I am aware of).

KosherNostra, it all depends on whether or not the school itself is an international accredited university. Generally the easiest way to find out is to contact them directly and ask, and there's a website like in my OP that you can try to search as well.

Normally these are more complicated and take a bit longer than regular federal loans because everything has to be done manually through snail mail - including receiving the eventual check. So yes, it can be done, and yes it's harder. Don't expect the money quickly.

Saliva, you should be fine. Since you have no debt it would be treated as a 1st year program, etc. At least that's how I've seen it in the past.

Do you qualify as an independent student? (List of qualifications in OP). If not, you MUST list your parent's income on the FAFSA, which is where a lot of students get screwed.

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
I do not meet the qualifications to be an independent. I looked at the FAFSA form and it said something about only having to report the income of one parent since mine are divorced. Is that correct, and would that put me in a better position? I ask because my mother who does support me more than my father also makes less money than him and has a less stable income.

Quiet Longing
Oct 17, 2005

This is a pretty big thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I had heard that you may be able to get a discount or delay on the payment of loans if you take a teaching position. I'm going to be teaching English in Korea for the next year (starting in March) and I am scheduled to start paying back my loans in June. Is there any truth to this rumor?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Quiet Longing, the current federal program is called the Teacher Loan Forgiveness program. You have to be teaching in a Title 1 school (low income, certified Title 1 by the department of education) for five consecutive years before it can be applied to your account. There is a forbearance available for those five years.

As far as I'm aware this program only applies to national schools, not international schools.

If you are going to another country with the Peace Corps, then there is a deferment available to you. Otherwise you would just need to use your temporary hardship forbearance time.

Saliva, if that is true then it would be best to have your mother's information reflected on the FAFSA. It might make you eligible for more funding.

You would need to call the FAFSA helpline directly for questions about how to fill it out. Their number is -800-433-3243. They've always been very friendly when I've spoken with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
Awesome. Thanks Wiggy Marie.