Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Jesus H. Megaman posted:

I have Everest set up on my DVR and watch it each week (I think it comes on Tuesdays). It's actually a really interesting show. The first few episodes get you to the point of liking the people involved and the rest have you wondering if they're going to die on the mountain. It's incredible to watch someone apathetically die because oxygen deprivation is taking its toll.

If you plan on watching a marathon have your remote handy for fast forwarding. There's a woman in the first few episodes that looks like Willem DaFoe...without makeup.

:barf:
I was thinking her face was so leathery that she looks like one of those folks they fish out of the peat bogs in Europe.. but I'll accept Willam Dafoe, too.

This season is actually pretty awesome so far, I mean, it's a little drawn out, but they have a guy from the UK and the head sherpa doing the first ever dual summit within a 10-day window. Up the north side, down the south side, camp out and recouperate, and then back up the south, and back down the north side.

Also, Mogens the asthmatic (trying to summit without supplementary oxygen, tough in it's own right) and Tim with the rebuilt knee, back and foot are both back to try their hands again.

I just love this show because it's such a monumental undertaking, and it's such serious business up there. See a hiker dying on the side of the trail? You can walk passed them and live, or try to help them, and probably die (both of you). Some crazy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus H. Megaman
Jul 3, 2004

It is NEVER too early to think about scotch. THE SUPERBOWL

Fantastipotamus posted:

This season is actually pretty awesome so far, I mean, it's a little drawn out, but they have a guy from the UK and the head sherpa doing the first ever dual summit within a 10-day window.

That head sherpa is a certified bad rear end. I hope nothing happens to him since he's never set foot on the south side of the mountain.

Subotai
Jan 24, 2004

Anyone else think that Tim in that Everest show is super annoying? He seems like he would be a stereotype for what every country thinks as a big dumb obnoxious American. Ugh.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Jesus H. Megaman posted:

That head sherpa is a certified bad rear end. I hope nothing happens to him since he's never set foot on the south side of the mountain.
Agreed on both counts. Not only hiking the summit like 10 times, but they're up there doing work for christs sake.. Not climbing to say they climbed, climbing to help everyone else climb. Plus, it never ceases to amaze me how fast they can climb when they hear someones in trouble.

Subotai posted:

Anyone else think that Tim in that Everest show is super annoying? He seems like he would be a stereotype for what every country thinks as a big dumb obnoxious American. Ugh.
Definitely.

Loud
Tall
Obnoxious
Pig-headed
anti-authority
rides a harley or whatever
complainy
and my favorite line from the previews of this week: "man, if we were back in LA, and he was talking to me like that, he'd be on his rear end!"

thanks Tim.

Subotai
Jan 24, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

and my favorite line from the previews of this week: "man, if we were back in LA, and he was talking to me like that, he'd be on his rear end!"

thanks Tim.

Ugh that was horrible. I did a giant :rolleyes:
Way to represent the US.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

TLG James posted:

I'm digging the new style of Man vs wild. He looks like he's trying to keep it more "real" and realistic. Also 2 episode adventures are awesome.

I like it better too - especially the parts where he works with the natives. So far it's only happened in two locations but I hope it's a staple of the show from here on out. I loved "Going Tribal" and seeing Bear learning survival techniques from the locals is a nice touch.

On the subject of Everest and Tim, if you missed the first season he very nearly died on the mountain because he refused to turn around and give up on his summit attempt. They were in the dead zone and he thought he was close enough to make it and wouldn't stop advancing - despite the fact that he had to rest every half a step. They said the altitude and lack of oxygen can really play havoc with your mind and your reasoning skills, but it really looked like the sherpa were going to have to leave him there to die. After a lot of convincing he finally turned back. The French guy he was with (who had beaten cancer) ended up losing a bunch of fingers. The French guy also refused to turn back - I honestly thought he had planned to die on the mountain but at the last minute he turned back and came down.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

On the subject of Everest and Tim, if you missed the first season he very nearly died on the mountain because he refused to turn around and give up on his summit attempt. They were in the dead zone and he thought he was close enough to make it and wouldn't stop advancing - despite the fact that he had to rest every half a step. They said the altitude and lack of oxygen can really play havoc with your mind and your reasoning skills, but it really looked like the sherpa were going to have to leave him there to die. After a lot of convincing he finally turned back. The French guy he was with (who had beaten cancer) ended up losing a bunch of fingers. The French guy also refused to turn back - I honestly thought he had planned to die on the mountain but at the last minute he turned back and came down.
Indeed, I do recall. I think mostly it was that he was going to run out of oxygen on the descent through the deathzone, which would ultimately mean just that. My favorite part of last season was the loving SHERPA carrying the double-amputee down the goddamn mountain. CARRYING A MAN DOWN EVEREST ON HIS BACK. Jesus christ.

Also, this is a huge awesome picture I stumbled on of everest. Click for full size (big)

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
That's an interesting story about that incident in the first season. I also read that the Discovery crew may have been around and/or filmed footage of a climber that was attempting a solo ascent and had crawled under a small cliff where he slowly died, and there was some controversy about how no one (apparently) helped him. Was that in season one?

Sherpas are pretty amazing. What's crazy to me is how some people struggle so much on the ascents, even with oxygen, yet there are those who can do it without any oxygen at all.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Ogresmash posted:

:psyduck:

How anyone can accuse Les of hamming it up and praise Bear in the same paragraph is beyond me, but in this day and age of "I don't care if it's fake as long as it's EXCITING!" I guess it's not so surprising.

I appreciate Survivor Man because it is practical. How he takes apart and uses the vehicles that got him stranded in the first place is extremely authentic to the reality of being stranded in the wilderness. I don't think Les hams it up, he just has a very cool demeanor and a self-deprecating attitude that some viewers may interpret as an attempt to earn woe-is-me points. The thing I like about Les is that when he finds himself a "luxury", like a filled coconut, he's happier than a pig in poo poo. It's incredibly satisfying just watching him enjoy something we take for granted.

Man vs Wild, however, is survivalism amped up on adrenaline. Bear takes more chances and pulls stunts Les cannot afford to attempt. The landscapes are exotic and wide-ranging, with inspiring, less-amateurish camera shots. You don't see the same shots of Bear repeated over and over again while Les is fairly predictable with his walk-towards, walk-aways, walk-pasts, camera-is-attached-to-body shots, extreme facial closeups, etc. Bear has great camera presence and more personality.

"I ... hate bats."

Both shows are equally educational, informative, and do their channels a huge service. I have to agree with those who feel that Man vs Wild is the more entertaining and imaginative of the two shows, though.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Butthole Prince posted:

That's an interesting story about that incident in the first season. I also read that the Discovery crew may have been around and/or filmed footage of a climber that was attempting a solo ascent and had crawled under a small cliff where he slowly died, and there was some controversy about how no one (apparently) helped him. Was that in season one?

Sherpas are pretty amazing. What's crazy to me is how some people struggle so much on the ascents, even with oxygen, yet there are those who can do it without any oxygen at all.

Yes, that happened in Season One. Here's what I remember there was a climber on Russell's expedition that went before everyone else and on the way down he encountered a climber who was in trouble. He tried to help him and even gave him some oxygen I think, but the guy was beyond the help that one (novice) climber could give. He radioed base camp and Russell told him that there was no way they could rescue him without even more people dying, so the climber just left him. The guy was pretty distraught about it. Several other people passed him with the same conclusion. There's a short bit about it in the Everest Wikipedia article if you want to read a little more. According to the article, since that guy was attempting a solo climb he had zero margin for error so there wasn't really any way to save him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can someone tell me what kind of pants Bear Grylls is wearing? They're khaki with blue knees. I want to know the type or the brand, because I think I could use them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Similarly, does anyone know what sort of boots Bear uses?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Has anyone been watching Mythbusters lately? I have two words for you:

MacGyver Special

They're doing "mini MacGyver myths" during the commercial breaks of the new episodes airing now, but apparently there is a whole show in the works. Also, Jamie has the mullet wig, so it should be awesome.

Loving Leader
Sep 17, 2004

HOT PIE COMIN THROUGH

Subotai posted:

Every one at my job agrees with you. We had bets going on when he was going to die this season. And then the "after the climb" episode let us know he's still alive at the end.

:(

Oh well. At least from next weeks previews, we know that he Breaks his hand while attempting the final push to the summit. So now he can't do that stupid "rock on" devil horn hand thing every five minutes

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
Airplane myths on tonights Mythbusters, including that treadmill one. :rolleyes:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dr. Memory posted:

Airplane myths on tonights Mythbusters, including that treadmill one. :rolleyes:

This episode looks boring. I want the MacGyver myths now!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Haha. I love the scribbled out "Airbus 320" I guess they couldn't get clearance.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I'm kind of surprised mythbusters doesn't get its own thread :(

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MustelaFuro posted:

I'm kind of surprised mythbusters doesn't get its own thread :(

A lot of these shows should have their own threads, but I don't think anybody wants to make them.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

The Human Crouton posted:

This episode looks boring. I want the MacGyver myths now!

It wasn't too bad, but the most entertaining things were Jamie landing a simulated jetliner lawn-dart style, and the build team tossing a dummy out of an airplane to see how quickly it hits the ground from 4000 feet. Titantv.com lied to me about the treadmill thing, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So the treadmill isn't in it? TVGuide said it was too.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

IRQ posted:

So the treadmill isn't in it? TVGuide said it was too.

Apparently it will now air on January 30th in something called "episode 97". Also, that Point Break poo poo belonged in a different episode, parachuting has nothing to do with airplanes- other than falling out of one!

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

A lot of these shows should have their own threads, but I don't think anybody wants to make them.

The strange broadcasting schedule of the Discovery shows makes it hard to maintain threads for each of the shows. There was a Mythbusters thread once, but after a break it fell into the archives and then no one made a new thread for when they started making new episodes. That's why I went with the megathread format.

As far as the plane on a treadmill thing, maybe they saved it for the viewer's special?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Loving Leader posted:

Every one at my job agrees with you. We had bets going on when he was going to die this season. And then the "after the climb" episode let us know he's still alive at the end.

He was a dumb rear end for continuing with the broken hand, even though he made it. Getting to the summit of Everest really isn't all that difficult, in the grand scheme of things, yet he barely did. Getting back down is the real challenge. I was waiting for him to get back to camp and find out that it wasn't really broken or something like that, though.

For anyone familiar with Everest in general, can you tell me how it is that these guys are summiting so quickly? They leave Camp 4 around midnight or so, which is what is to be expected, but they're on the summit just after dawn. From what I have read (admittedly not all that much), it seems that it takes until early afternoon to get to the summit. And where is the Hillary Step?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I think the Hilary Step is on the other side of the mountain... That other way up the mountain.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I got I Shouldn't be Alive on DVD for christmas. I'm still kind of pissed that the show got canceled. I loved it as a part of "Survival" fridays.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this season or the previous season of Mythbusters, its like they told Jaimie to 'be funny' because he keeps making weird jokes and puns and not then smiling afterwards

also has a single myth done by the other three been worth watching? its always something stupid and obvious and just seems like a huge waste of time. at least the asian guy is smart, the other two are just annoying

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Did they skip the MacGyver episode of Mythbusters or did I just miss it?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mistermojo posted:

this season or the previous season of Mythbusters, its like they told Jaimie to 'be funny' because he keeps making weird jokes and puns and not then smiling afterwards

I don't think Jamie laughs or smiles about a whole lot. He creeps me out sometimes with his seriousness. I'm not sure I want to know what really makes him laugh.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't think Jamie laughs or smiles about a whole lot. He creeps me out sometimes with his seriousness. I'm not sure I want to know what really makes him laugh.

He laughs when the show's contraptions work right. Especially when it involves blowing something up.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

mistermojo posted:

also has a single myth done by the other three been worth watching? its always something stupid and obvious and just seems like a huge waste of time. at least the asian guy is smart, the other two are just annoying

I've noticed that too. I swear that their next myth is going to be to test whether or not it's true that "If you type this message onto 10 other videos in the next hour, your crush's name will appear on screen."

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 27, 2007

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
WTF is this "Smash Lab" nonsense debuting tonight? It's going to either suck rear end or serve as a bandwagon dilution of Mythbusters. Either way I fail to see how Discovery benefits.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

inignot posted:

WTF is this "Smash Lab" nonsense debuting tonight? It's going to either suck rear end or serve as a bandwagon dilution of Mythbusters. Either way I fail to see how Discovery benefits.

I hope they're not trying to sneak back to having 35 different garage themed shows. I can only learn so much from watching assholes turning motorcycles into boats and then calling some other team member a human being for not turning the motorcycle into a boat fast enough.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

inignot posted:

It seems like Mythbusters except with real-life applications and 100% more insulting repetition of what just happened or what is going to happen.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It seemed like a paid advertisement for Rhino Lining.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

inignot posted:

I've noticed that Discovery has the habit of copying any of their shows that does well. Hazard Pay with Dirty Jobs, that lobster fishing show with Deadliest Catch, Man vs. Wild with Survivorman, How Do They Do It? and How It's Made, Fight Quest with Last One Standing (which is weird because I didn't think Last One Standing was all that successful). I thought a while back that it was odd they didn't try to copy Mythbusters, but lo and behold, here it is.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I got more of a Brainiac vibe from the Smash Lab previews than I did of a Mythbusters one.

Also, why is the HD feed for Discovery HD constantly out of synch? I'm on DirecTV and having an actual in synch show is pretty miraculous now :\

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Electric Hobo posted:

I've noticed that Discovery has the habit of copying any of their shows that does well. Hazard Pay with Dirty Jobs, that lobster fishing show with Deadliest Catch, Man vs. Wild with Survivorman, How Do They Do It? and How It's Made, Fight Quest with Last One Standing (which is weird because I didn't think Last One Standing was all that successful). I thought a while back that it was odd they didn't try to copy Mythbusters, but lo and behold, here it is.

I kind of enjoyed when they had certain "days" or they had themes going but I agree that it does go overboard a bit. Although I really liked "Survival Friday." You had I shouldn't Be Alive, Man Vs. Wild, and usually something else...but I keep seeing previews for the new season and some of this looks pretty terrible. In the commercial they are advertising some show that looks basically like Future Weapons and then they have Fight Quest as you pointed out...which is from what little I've seen a near carbon copy of 'Human Weapon' on History channel.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Is anyone else looking forward to Fight Quest? I know its a "Human Weapon" knock off, but still. I like both shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

He seems to really like problem-solving and building things; he just really hates anything entertainment-related, like when he and Adam compete on individual rigs or when Adam hams it up or fucks up on a build. If you watch the Christmas episode where they build the Rube Goldberg device, Jamie suggested they build it because it was Christmas and he wanted to have fun with something. I think he's probably just really fastidious and goal-oriented, which isn't that great for producing entertainment.

I think he really does like engineering, though. There's one episode where he's removing parts from a car and talking about what he would have done differently if he had designed it.

On the other hand, I was a little frightened by a few episodes where he yelled at Scotty and then later Jess the Mythtern for measuring something wrong. I'd imagine he hates everything about the show other than building poo poo though, and probably especially the fans

• Locked thread