Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

eric posted:

You guys think we'll see $1499 1080p plasmas by next fall?

The 42" panasonic pz77u is often on sale below that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

completely deck posted:

If you can't find anything wrong with it for your home, then maybe it is suitable for you. Don't look for something wrong with it if you can't find anything too terrible.

The more I play with it, the more I am OK with it, I'm just worried there is something broken about the Philips model since I don't hear about many people buying them, all the more suspicious since it looks like a great 32" TV.

Don Lapre posted:

That tv accepts inputs up to 1080i, but you should probably give it a 720p signal. You should get less video lag and less artifacting since no deinterlacing has to be done by the set.

Yeah, exactly. I don't have HD cable yet so the only thing I am using it with is my PS3 for games/BR and I have that set to 720p. I originally had it at 1080i and noticed artifacting with Planet Earth BR.

Blu Ray movies render at 1080p, correct?

evilalien posted:

It depends on the medium really. 1080p is clearly superior for video games where fps can get up to 60. For film, 1080i is about as good as 1080p as modern interlacing produces no noticeable artifacts and film is only 24fps. 1080p24 (which the ps3 supports) is the best for film is it eliminates the need for 3:2 pull down framerate conversion. The only problem with this is that you would need a really great tv that has proper support for 1080p24; a lot of tv's that claim to support 1080p24 actually take the 1080p24 signal and do a 6:4 pull down whereas the proper method would be a 5:5 pull down.

So yeah, 1080i can never be superior to 1080p in any incarnation, but in some instances it is about equal.

As far as videogames go, none I know of for the consoles render at 1080p yet. Many don't even render at 720p yet though they claim to. Gran Turismo 5 is suppose to render at 1080p but it has yet to be released.

Also a question in general: is 1080p compared to 720p even noticable on a 32" screen?

Simstim fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 27, 2007

SHODAN
Feb 20, 2001

NARCISSISTIC QUEEN BITCH:
ASK ME ABOUT BEING BETTER THAN YOU
I've been told that if you orientate a plasma TV horizontally while carrying it or whatever, like so:

Normal TV orientation(vertical) : |

Bad bad orientation : --

that you will horribly damage the color output of the TV or something. I've read nothing of this in the manual for mine, any validity to this?

SHODAN
Feb 20, 2001

NARCISSISTIC QUEEN BITCH:
ASK ME ABOUT BEING BETTER THAN YOU

Simstim posted:

Also a question in general: is 1080p compared to 720p even noticable on a 32" screen?

As the OP states, contrast level is far more important in 42" and below sets than 1080 v 720 P, so no.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

SHODAN posted:

I've been told that if you orientate a plasma TV horizontally while carrying it or whatever, like so:

Normal TV orientation(vertical) : |

Bad bad orientation : --

that you will horribly damage the color output of the TV or something. I've read nothing of this in the manual for mine, any validity to this?

I've not heard that holding it horizontally flat will damage the color output. But, you should always keep it vertical. The reason is glass breakage. Having the TV horizontal invites things to be placed on it, and, more importantly, the glass panel is so heavy that it will be placing a great deal of stress on itself. You should never move a plasma horizontally in a bumpy car.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Simstim posted:

As far as videogames go, none I know of for the consoles render at 1080p yet. Many don't even render at 720p yet though they claim to. Gran Turismo 5 is suppose to render at 1080p but it has yet to be released.

There are definitely a few out now that do, but there are not very many of them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Virtua Tennis 3 and NBA Street Homecourt for 360 are both 1080p.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Simstim posted:

Blu Ray movies render at 1080p, correct?

Yes Blu Ray is 1080p, and as for videogames, I'm pretty sure all the newer next gen consoles render at 1080p/i. I know most of my X360 games are 1080. Havent checked my PS3 games yet though.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Flyboy925 posted:

Yes Blu Ray is 1080p, and as for videogames, I'm pretty sure all the newer next gen consoles render at 1080p/i. I know most of my X360 games are 1080. Havent checked my PS3 games yet though.

I doubt most of your games are native 1080p. A lot of games support upscaling to 1080p from whatever resolution they render at internally, but games that actually render at 1080p internally are few in number.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
I'm in need (like many, many others here) of help in selecting a new HDTV. My budget is ~$1500, so I think I've got a good amount of leeway. I'm looking at TV's between 42"-46", that can do resolutions from 480i - 1080p. I'm sort of indecisive about what type of TV to get, although I'm looking mostly at LCD's and plasma's. Researching around, I narrowed my choices down to these three sets:

- Samsung LN-T4665F
- Samsung LN-T4661F
- Panasonic TH-42PZ700U

Thoughts? Are there other TV's I missed that I should be swooning over (that would be cheaper)? Any input would be nice, thanks!

EDIT: Oh also, would I have to do any sort of convergence for Plasmas? I didn't see it mentioned in the OP (unless I missed it), and not having to do convergence would be really loving nice. I currently have a 30" CRT HDTV that seems to need to be converged every couple weeks, and it's a loving pain in the rear end :(.

pliable fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 27, 2007

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
That's the same budget and size I was looking into. I ended up with the Samsung HP-T5054 a 50" 720p set for $1300 tax free and shipped pricematched to fry's. I'm pretty satisfied. You're going to be paying a premium for 1080p in that price range.
edit: if I had to pick from your list I'd go with the 65F for its 15000:1 contrast.

As far as I know convergence isn't a problem for any flatscreens like LCD or plasma.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 27, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Sony to quit producing RPTVs: http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2007-12-27T061304Z_01_T204536_RTRUKOC_0_US-SONY.xml

Kind of surprising since they were really the best RPTV maker out there and focused a lot of energy into developing their LCoS displays. Definitely a sign of things to come. Can't wait to see what sort of LCDs they're going to try and make work in the <$2k 55"+ category.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What are peoples thoughts on the Toshiba REGZA 42HL167 42" 1080p LCD. Between birthday and Christmas money I have enough to spend about $1100 on a new TV, and want 42" 1080p (the sofa is pretty close to the TV in my new apartment.) This seems to fit the bill, and has pretty decent reviews. I will be using it for gaming and movie watching. I don't mind how SD content looks so much, as 80% of my viewing is HD now. I am a little worried about the price increasing soon on this TV, so don't know how long I will wait before going ahead and pulling the trigger anyways.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vaporware posted:

That's the same budget and size I was looking into. I ended up with the Samsung HP-T5054 a 50" 720p set for $1300 tax free and shipped pricematched to fry's. I'm pretty satisfied. You're going to be paying a premium for 1080p in that price range.
edit: if I had to pick from your list I'd go with the 65F for its 15000:1 contrast.

As far as I know convergence isn't a problem for any flatscreens like LCD or plasma.

It's going to be connected to an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3 (via HDMI), and I'll be watching Blu-Ray's, so I'd like to go 1080p if possible.

And good, not having to deal with that is going to be nice. Right now, about 1/2 inch is being cut off on the right side of the TV, and the right side doesn't project in a nice straight line, and it's really annoying me :(.

But, I also found this TV: Sharp LC-42D72U. Any thoughts on this? It around the same price as the Samsung's, but it seems to be more feature packed. My only concern is the screen size being too small to fully take advantage of 1080p. Then again, I'm going to be like 4-5 feet away from the TV.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.

Asnorban posted:

What are peoples thoughts on the Toshiba REGZA 42HL167 42" 1080p LCD. Between birthday and Christmas money I have enough to spend about $1100 on a new TV, and want 42" 1080p (the sofa is pretty close to the TV in my new apartment.) This seems to fit the bill, and has pretty decent reviews. I will be using it for gaming and movie watching. I don't mind how SD content looks so much, as 80% of my viewing is HD now. I am a little worried about the price increasing soon on this TV, so don't know how long I will wait before going ahead and pulling the trigger anyways.

I have the 720p model, and I'm perfectly happy with it. The 1080p model is also supposed to be good, but there has supposedly been an issue with "green push" on some of them (but not on the 720p). Here's the the thread on AVS forums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=890638

Keep in mind that these are crazy videophiles. And it may be the kind of problem you only see if you're looking for it.

Anyway, I love the image on my set. You'll want to turn the sharpness and dynamic contrast to a very low setting or off to get the best image.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

pliable posted:

It's going to be connected to an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3 (via HDMI), and I'll be watching Blu-Ray's, so I'd like to go 1080p if possible.

But, I also found this TV: Sharp LC-42D72U.

Since you have the 1080p content and you're going to be sitting close then it's worth it. My installer loves the Sharp Aquos line. He said they are much more bang for your buck than a primary brand like sony or samsung, but he's full of opinions. I'd say it's an option. Try to track down user opinions on it on issues like firmware updates, broken connectors, etc. Check the # of inputs to make sure you can use everything you want without a switch. Other than that it's all about going into a store and playing with it.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Christobevii3 posted:

The 42" panasonic pz77u is often on sale below that.

Whoops I meant 50" plasmas.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vaporware posted:

Since you have the 1080p content and you're going to be sitting close then it's worth it. My installer loves the Sharp Aquos line. He said they are much more bang for your buck than a primary brand like sony or samsung, but he's full of opinions. I'd say it's an option. Try to track down user opinions on it on issues like firmware updates, broken connectors, etc. Check the # of inputs to make sure you can use everything you want without a switch. Other than that it's all about going into a store and playing with it.

Thank you kindly. I think I'll go into a store tonight and start playing with the TV's :).

Mindcrime
Mar 3, 2005

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is 24.
Just found a link for a sale on the Sharp 32" 1080p that I've been wanting. It's $800 through December 29th, which is a loving steal. The only price I've found that was comparable to that was NewEgg and their return policy for TVs is hosed up, so this is a way better option.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771167000P?keyword=sharp+lcd&sid=I0084400010000100312&aff=Y

Just thought I'd share. :)

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
For Christmas, the 'rents got me this. http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-SK-26H520S-26-LCD-HDTV/dp/B000NIGOCW

Fantastic video quality, and the sound isn't bad, except for one (not so) small problem. The video and sound are not synchronized. Basic cable, HD cable, and DVDs are all out of sync, it almost looks like everything is dubbed. Therefore, we're going to return the TV.

I'm looking for another TV in the same size/price range (26', about $600). These two look decent.

Panasonic TC-26LX70 26" 720p LCD Flat Panel HDTV http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OOEKF8/ref=pd_cp_e__map

Samsung 26" LCD HDTV
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-26-LCD-HDTV-LN-T2642H/sem/rpsm/oid/173634/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I will need a TV with two component hookups (I've looked at a couple that only have one), and I'd prefer a black TV over silver. Lay your opinions on me! I know almost nothing about HD aside from some stuff I've read in this thread.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

.Nathan. posted:

Sony to quit producing RPTVs: http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2007-12-27T061304Z_01_T204536_RTRUKOC_0_US-SONY.xml

Kind of surprising since they were really the best RPTV maker out there and focused a lot of energy into developing their LCoS displays. Definitely a sign of things to come. Can't wait to see what sort of LCDs they're going to try and make work in the <$2k 55"+ category.

this might have to do with the LCoS drama bomb with their light engines not working correctly along with a class action lawsuit filed against them.

But god drat, when they work, it is just amazing set, my only issue is that I cannot get the drat blacks, BLACK! It is better than LCD but not as great as my previous crt rear projection.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 27, 2007

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there a chart or something somewhere, where it states what the optimal TV size is for X distance? I am thinking about picking up a 42-50in TV for my room. But I'm not entirely sure if a 50in would be too big or not since the couch will only be about 5-6ft away. I will only mostly be playing my Xbox and maybe some TV watching. Would it be wiser to get a 720p set versus a 1080?

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.
Hello HDTV thread!

I'm a retard at TVs and things that go into TVs so I'd like someone to hold my hand and walk me through the whole picking a TV thing. I've read the OP but most of it is flying over my head.

I live in the UK and I don't have cable/satelite tv which means I have dick all by the way of HD channels. According to this site, my region is going to change to HD in 2011. Yeah, that's a fair while away, but I'd like to get my hands on a lovely TV before then.

Viewing distance will be ~8-10 feet. I was originally going to look at 32" but gently caress that, 42" sounds better. I have a provisional a budget of ~£500 but I could be pushed for more if this is unrealistic. As I said, I know gently caress all.

The TV will be used for pretty much everything. Regular TV viewing, DVDs, xbox 360 and Wii. I'll also have a freeview box hooked up.

If you need any more info from me I will gladly provide but I think I have most things covered.

Lady Shiva
Jun 5, 2005
Okay, here's my situation-

I have a budget of $2000.00 for a new TV. I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and from what I can tell the formats go like this-

Plasma- Great picture, long lifetime, burn in can be an issue.

LCD- Great picture, long lifetime, SRD and quick motion can look pretty crappy.

Projection- Decent picture, bulbs will have to be replaced. Good price though.

Is that a fairly accurate summation of the formats?

I will be mostly watching SRD broadcast and DVD's. I have no plans to start a Blue-Ray or HD collection. However, I will be subscribing to HD channels (hello Discovery!) Also, I will be doing some gaming on this set.(360)My only absolute requirement is that the screen be 50 inches or more. I'm leaning towards a DLP projection but it seems they won't be around much longer and I worry about not being able to replace a bad bulb down the road. Would I be an idiot to drop 2k on a projection TV? Is 1080p worth the extra cash? Also, someone above me mentioned something called "convergence", what is that exactly? Help me spend my monies.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lady Shiva posted:

Also, someone above me mentioned something called "convergence", what is that exactly? Help me spend my monies.

Convergence is the lining up of red green and blue, You do not have to worry about this on single chip dlp, lcd or plasma.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
As I recently finished shopping, I can pass along this info. If you're interested in plasma: Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma HP-T5084 @ Frys Electronics for $1970 shipped. Since you're not looking to do any 1080p stuff, you can afford a much bigger 720p TV if you're willing to forgo the top of the line sets. Look for a 720p with good contrast and enough inputs to future proof your TV from needing a switch.

Leonje: for comparison these are the sets in the US in the price range you're looking

Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma TH-42PC77U @ Costco.com for $999 shipped
Samsung 42" 720p Plasma HP-T4264 @ Circuit City for $999 (shipping extra)

Of course, I was shopping plasma so that's all I have info about, but it can give you a starting point to look for.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I just wanted to stop by and voice my love of Monoprice. I always worried about ordering from them because they are in the United States and I am in Canada, but I was worrying for no reason.

I made an order on December 17th. One dozen banana plugs for speaker wire and a 6 foot optical cable for my xbox 360.

Even though it's Christmas, and most places have been closed this week, my order arrived in my mail box on the first day this week that mail was being deliverd. So it took 10 days including 2 weekend days, and 2, maybe 3, holidays. I didn't even have to pay any duty or tax or anything like I do when I order other things from the U.S.

That is all :P

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Lady Shiva posted:

I'm leaning towards a DLP projection but it seems they won't be around much longer and I worry about not being able to replace a bad bulb down the road.

If you are leaning to DLP tv's and are concerned about bulb costs, take a look at LED DLP tv's. I know Samsung makes some, I don't know off hand if anyone else does.

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/led_hdtvs.aspx

quote:

Why all the hubbub? Just take a look at all the benefits of using LED illumination:

A wider color gamut for more accurate and true-to-life colors
Low power consumption
High brightness
Contrast ratio up to 10,000:1
Instant On/Off functionality
Consistent picture
Long-lasting light source — up to 60,000 hours

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=dlptv&model_cd=HLT6189SX/XAA

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Asnorban posted:

Blah blah ...Toshiba REGZA 42HL167 42" 1080p LCD... Blah blah

I have the 47" version, and I have to say , AWESOME. I absolutely love this TV, and haven't had anything more than a niggling problem. There is the green push issue. BUT, this is far and few between. Also, most, if not all of it, can be calibrated out at home. Mine had a slight green push on certain light, sandy colors, but after 10-15 minutes of tweaking, its gone. I just noticed it for 3 seconds in a SD program, and its been 2 months since I last saw any green push, and that was even a small, short area again. I HIGHLY recommend this TV. Beautiful picture, plethora of input options, 5.1 sound pass through i believe. I never have any lag issues in games, although i dont play Guitar Hero or Rock Band. I wouldn't worry too much about price increase, I think the price might actually go down. I got mine for $700 off at Circuit City (1700) to buy it then and there, and not shop around. Glad i did, I got it cheaper than I even could have at Costco.

goatrope
Feb 24, 2007
Looking for a bit of advice on two TVs here: the 46" Bravia XBR and the 52" Bravia W-Series. The prices on the site are wrong though; they're going for $2799 and $2599 (Canadian) respectively.

I'm leaning towards the 52" because the only apparent differences are the contrast ratios and refresh rates, and having seen them both in person, the difference in picture quality seems to be negligible. The problem is that I'm having trouble convincing the parents (and myself, I suppose) that the cheaper one is indeed a better buy. Anybody have experience with these TVs, or have any advice either way?

harle
Jul 6, 2006

goatrope posted:

Looking for a bit of advice on two TVs here: the 46" Bravia XBR and the 52" Bravia W-Series. The prices on the site are wrong though; they're going for $2799 and $2599 (Canadian) respectively.

I'm leaning towards the 52" because the only apparent differences are the contrast ratios and refresh rates, and having seen them both in person, the difference in picture quality seems to be negligible. The problem is that I'm having trouble convincing the parents (and myself, I suppose) that the cheaper one is indeed a better buy. Anybody have experience with these TVs, or have any advice either way?
I purchased the Sony KDL46V3000 not too long ago, and like it so far. The colors look fantastic, but the blacks could be better. The biggest problem so far is motion lag. Going from a CRT TV to this, motion lag in fast moving movie scenes or in FPS games is pretty apparent. Ive heard that Samsung is better, both with blacks and motion blur. I may try out the LNT-4665F to see if that is true.

The XBR is supposed to be one of the best displays on the market. If you are willing to spend the extra money, I would go with the XBR.

harle fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 28, 2007

cdotter
Nov 3, 2007
vanilla's the killer
Are there any decent HDTVs that are around 27"? My parents have a really old CRT TV that's finally about to die and they want a new one. The thing is they have one of those stupid entertainment stands that has the TV all boxed in so it can't be any larger than their 27" CRT TV. I've looked on Newegg and everything there looks really lovely and cheap. They don't need an amazing TV set, just something that won't break after a week of use, and has decent speakers.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Hey all, I was hoping for some advice. Right now I am looking at 3 tv's:

Samsung FPT5084

Samsung LNT4665f

Samsung LNT4661f

Firstly, is there anything glaringly wrong with these? I haven't really seen anything in reviews I could find. I'll mostly be using them for movies and gaming. Given that, is plasma obviously better? Secondly, between the two LCD's, is the higher contrast ratio noticeable? Lastly, is there a brand/tv that is obviously better bang for buck or just a better choice than these?

Thanks for any help!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Generally, when is the best time to pick up a TV on sale? I apparently missed out on the whole Christmas deals, but now I have some money to spend on a TV.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

cdotter posted:

Are there any decent HDTVs that are around 27"? My parents have a really old CRT TV that's finally about to die and they want a new one. The thing is they have one of those stupid entertainment stands that has the TV all boxed in so it can't be any larger than their 27" CRT TV. I've looked on Newegg and everything there looks really lovely and cheap. They don't need an amazing TV set, just something that won't break after a week of use, and has decent speakers.

I have a 27" Westinghouse that cost me $300 on ecost.com and it's fantastic, 360 games and stuff look amazing as do dvds.

Company Mime
May 21, 2002
Back...to the Banning!
Anybody have anything particularly good or bad to say about the Toshiba Regza 52" LCD (52HL167)?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Leempi posted:

I'll mostly be using them for movies and gaming. Given that, is plasma obviously better? Secondly, between the two LCD's, is the higher contrast ratio noticeable? Lastly, is there a brand/tv that is obviously better bang for buck or just a better choice than these?

Thanks for any help!

Pretty much the same questions here. I'm going to be looking for a new TV in the coming weeks. I'd like something that has a width of about 35 inch. I practically never watch shows or whatever on TV, just DVD's and the occasional soccer match. I may buy a gaming console as well at some point this year.

I read that plasma has a better response time than LCD, so that seems the better choice for me, given that I don't like watching soccer matches on TV's that can't keep the action fluent. Or can both types of TVs have good framerates, and it just depends on the quality of the thing ?

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
So I'm getting my whole HD setup going and I went to Radio Shack to pick up an HDMI cable. They only had Monster cables and for $91.00! The guy totally went off on how Monster cables are the best, you can buy cheaper cables but it's not worth it yada yada. Is there really a difference? Is it worth dropping $91?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Kali11324 posted:

So I'm getting my whole HD setup going and I went to Radio Shack to pick up an HDMI cable. They only had Monster cables and for $91.00! The guy totally went off on how Monster cables are the best, you can buy cheaper cables but it's not worth it yada yada. Is there really a difference? Is it worth dropping $91?

Monster is a sham. Just buy them off monoprice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
OK, so I've got a problem with my Sony Grand Wega. Its a 60" rear projection LCD that I bought about 2 1/2 years ago. I called Sony, and they haven't been too much of a help. They just tell me someone needs to come look at it, and they give me a time of 10 days from now. I'll break the TV before then.

Anyways, every 2 or 3 minutes, the screen goes black, no problem with audio or anything (although the audio doesn't go through the TV), and the power/standby light flashes 37 times. 30 before the screen flashes back up, and 7 more while the screen resets and has the picture clear. It's about a 90 second cycle, every 3 or so minutes. It would seem to me that the bulb probably needs replacing, but I'm not exactly dying to spend $200+ on a bulb if thats not the problem.

Can anyone tell me for sure if its the bulb, or is it potentially something else?

• Locked thread