Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Doesn't the cleric spell "Restoration" remove level drains?

Or is that only in the PC games of D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

It does, but he doesn't have a cleric.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

They have at least one paladin. Can't they get cleric spells?

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Spikey posted:

They have at least one paladin. Can't they get cleric spells?

Yeah, but it's a 4th level Paladin spell. He needs to be at least 14th level to cast it. That would put him on par with the PCs, and put him ahead of nearly all the other (now deceased) Paladins of Azure City.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Aren't the parties just dealing with chump change when it comes to encounters and stuff so far? I think there might be a level gap between them and Roy when he finally gets rezzed, but nothing so huge it can't be surmounted.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Not sure how it works, but couldn't Roy be gaining quest or character development XP while in the afterlife?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
:siren: New (erfworld) comic! :v:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0089.html

Containing Vinnie Doombats, plot, and absolutely no jokes about the Internet.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

ZorbaTHut posted:

:siren: New (erfworld) comic! :v:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0089.html

Containing Vinnie Doombats, plot, and absolutely no jokes about the Internet.

drat you, I got so excited at the ":siren: New" part, but then I saw it was just Erfworld.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

KOraithER posted:

drat you, I got so excited at the ":siren: New" part, but then I saw it was just Erfworld.

If sirens make you excited, I recommend you speed more. :)

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!

GigaPeon posted:

Not sure how it works, but couldn't Roy be gaining quest or character development XP while in the afterlife?

Strickly by D&D 3.5 Core rules, your spirit can't earn XP while dead. Generally, I believe Rich sticks to that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Altamir posted:

Strickly by D&D 3.5 Core rules, your spirit can't earn XP while dead. Generally, I believe Rich sticks to that.
Strictly by D&D 3.5 Core rules, there's no rules given for how being dead differs from being alive. There are many, many mostly-joking arguments that characters can die, and then just keep on fighting, since nothing describes the ways in which being 'dead' hinders your actions.

But traditionally, being dead means you're out of action, so you don't get XP.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Roy should just have his wizard dad make a gate to the material world. Or maybe the androgynous elf could invest in a "summon Roy" spell. I figure a 1d4 rounds + spellcaster level duration should be fine.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Strudel Man posted:

Strictly by D&D 3.5 Core rules, there's no rules given for how being dead differs from being alive. There are many, many mostly-joking arguments that characters can die, and then just keep on fighting, since nothing describes the ways in which being 'dead' hinders your actions.

But traditionally, being dead means you're out of action, so you don't get XP.

Moreso, there's at least a dozen ways for your character to continue adventuring after they bite the big one, be it prestige classes or templates. The book of Vile Darkness and the book of Exalted Deeds are especially bad for this.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NutShellBill posted:

Moreso, there's at least a dozen ways for your character to continue adventuring after they bite the big one, be it prestige classes or templates. The book of Vile Darkness and the book of Exalted Deeds are especially bad for this.

Not to mention Ghostwalk

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!
Heh, Thats why I said core rules! I should have known better .... Either way, its Rich's world and he'll do what he wants with it. Thought I would personally find it rather cheesy.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

I'm gonna have to try that next time I've got a rules-lawyer GM.

"The sharkwolf gets a critical hit on you. You're dead."
"I stab the sharkwolf."
"You can't. You're dead."
"Yeah? Find me the bit in the rules saying so! I'm stabbing the sharkwolf!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm gonna have to try that next time I've got a rules-lawyer GM.

"The sharkwolf gets a critical hit on you. You're dead."
"I stab the sharkwolf."
"You can't. You're dead."
"Yeah? Find me the bit in the rules saying so! I'm stabbing the sharkwolf!"

Don't do this, any real rules-lawyer knows that the first thing you do with a sharp exploit like that is to just turn it around on the person. No one can really argue with consistency:

"Ok, you stab the Sharkwolf, killing it. Now it attacks again"
"What, but... oh poo poo"

If the DM didn't punch you right in the face, you'd never make it through your next encounter. And if you somehow do (Just running away or trapping the zombie enemy, wait till he starts sending something with vorpal attacks. Sure, death might not stop yo, but how about limb loss...?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Don't do this, any real rules-lawyer knows that the first thing you do with a sharp exploit like that is to just turn it around on the person. No one can really argue with consistency:

"Ok, you stab the Sharkwolf, killing it. Now it attacks again"
"What, but... oh poo poo"

If the DM didn't punch you right in the face, you'd never make it through your next encounter. And if you somehow do (Just running away or trapping the zombie enemy, wait till he starts sending something with vorpal attacks. Sure, death might not stop yo, but how about limb loss...?

Well, as long as we're being silly, there's nothing in the rules that says that losing a limb prevents you from using said limb. You'd just go all Vectorman on the Sharkwolf, and it would degrade into one of those fights we all had when we were young, and would play with imaginary guns.

"I shot you!"

"Nyuh uh! I have bulletproof skin!"

"Well, the bullets I used go through bulletproof skin!"

"Ok, but the bullet didn't kill me anyway!"

"I shot you in the head! Six times!"

"I'm a robot, we don't have brains in our heads, they're in our... *thinks on this, and giggles* butts!"

"Oh yeah, well take this!" *Kid gets pistol whipped in the rear end, fight breaks out, and Xmas is ruined.*

Sometimes you just gotta play dead.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

NutShellBill posted:

it would degrade into one of those fights we all had when we were young, and would play with imaginary guns.

"I shot you!"

"Nyuh uh! I have bulletproof skin!"

"Well, the bullets I used go through bulletproof skin!"

"Ok, but the bullet didn't kill me anyway!"

"I shot you in the head! Six times!"

"I'm a robot, we don't have brains in our heads, they're in our... *thinks on this, and giggles* butts!"

"Oh yeah, well take this!" *Kid gets pistol whipped in the rear end, fight breaks out, and Xmas is ruined.*

Sometimes you just gotta play dead.

Incidentally, this is the best way of describing D&D I've found whenever somebody asks. I give that example, then say that you have actual rules to govern it so it doesn't descend into that.

I've heard of other good examples from first edition rulebooks and the like, but I still prefer that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
:siren: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html :siren:

I dont know how to do the new strip is up hyperlink so :L-(

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Aww, that poor shoeless wight.

If you write, I will make it better.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Sanford posted:

Well, he's an idiot for trying to take off without Belkar. He SAID he rolled a natural 20 on his spot check after all, that's gotta be enough to stick with him.

Every time I play D&D I always make sure to use the buddy system in those situations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
As the DM, I take particular glee in pointing out to my players that Nat 20's on skill checks do not equal an automatic success, unless pretty much everything else in the game. Though generally it means you've done well enough to succeed, unless you're spot checking against some twinked build that winds up with 72 Hide (seen it).

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
Am I alone in hoping that Belkar found Mr. Scruffy? I could see him keeping the cat to commemorate the funny old man who made fun of Roy.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Mortanis posted:

As the DM, I take particular glee in pointing out to my players that Nat 20's on skill checks do not equal an automatic success, unless pretty much everything else in the game. Though generally it means you've done well enough to succeed, unless you're spot checking against some twinked build that winds up with 72 Hide (seen it).

Every DM I have played with has treated natural 20's as automatic success. And natural 1's as automatic failure.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Every DM I have played with has treated natural 20's as automatic success. And natural 1's as automatic failure.

That completely removes the fun of massively skill pumping your rogue until you can steal the teeth out of a dragon's mouth without him noticing.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

goatface posted:

That completely removes the fun of massively skill pumping your rogue until you can steal the teeth out of a dragon's mouth without him noticing.

You can still do that; 90% of rolls are normal but sometimes you have incredible luck or misfortune.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

NutShellBill posted:

Am I alone in hoping that Belkar found Mr. Scruffy? I could see him keeping the cat to commemorate the funny old man who made fun of Roy.

No, I've been hoping for this team up since they first met. Then Belkar broke out the ball of wool :3:

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

NutShellBill posted:

Well, he is a Ranger. He could have picked up an animal companion many levels ago.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Just quoting the rules. I'm going to do something special for a Nat 20, skill check or not. But, to be fair, there's nothing so deflating to a player when you call for a spot check, and he rolls a 20 and gets excited. Then you calmly explain they see nothing. And the deflated look on their face is priceless. Then the dawning look of "Oh... crap" when the bad guy they failed to see with said 20 smacks them around.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Just quoting the rules. I'm going to do something special for a Nat 20, skill check or not. But, to be fair, there's nothing so deflating to a player when you call for a spot check, and he rolls a 20 and gets excited. Then you calmly explain they see nothing. And the deflated look on their face is priceless. Then the dawning look of "Oh... crap" when the bad guy they failed to see with said 20 smacks them around.

Who the hell does spot checks where the players can see them? That's why GM screens were invented.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

The Oldest Man posted:

Who the hell does spot checks where the players can see them? That's why GM screens were invented.

That's something I've always considered doing if I was ever not lazy enough to GM. (never)

The rogue sounds sincere about watching your possessions for a time. No you are not allowed to know how well you did on that sense motive check.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

I roll openly. I don't fudge rolls, and it is such more satisfying to know a player has few hitpoints, and that Big Bad Evil Guy is going to smack then. Check their AC, and calmly explain, "If I roll a 16 or higher, you're dead." Everyone watches the rolls then. There is much cheering when the roll comes up in the player's favor, and a lot of mocking when it comes up in mine.

I like suspense. What can I say.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I roll openly. I don't fudge rolls, and it is such more satisfying to know a player has few hitpoints, and that Big Bad Evil Guy is going to smack then. Check their AC, and calmly explain, "If I roll a 16 or higher, you're dead." Everyone watches the rolls then. There is much cheering when the roll comes up in the player's favor, and a lot of mocking when it comes up in mine.

I like suspense. What can I say.
Sure. But you let them see their spot checks?

"You rolled a 1. You DON'T see the Kobold Ambush directly in front of you."

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Jonked posted:

Sure. But you let them see their spot checks?

"You rolled a 1. You DON'T see the Kobold Ambush directly in front of you."

bbut technically just because they failed a check doesn't mean they should react any differently :saddowns:

I hate that. "Roll a search check." "Five total." "The door's not trapped." "I wanna check again."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kahrytes posted:

bbut technically just because they failed a check doesn't mean they should react any differently :saddowns:

I hate that. "Roll a search check." "Five total." "The door's not trapped." "I wanna check again."

That's why you just roll dice randomly behind the Cool DM Screen and say things like "Hmmm" and look worried or pleased. Players love that :v:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

big bip posted:

That's why you just roll dice randomly behind the Cool DM Screen and say things like "Hmmm" and look worried or pleased. Players love that :v:

Man, I do this all the time.

"Roll perception."
"Five successes! What do I see?"
"Well, the building's masonry is in pretty bad condition."
"We're standing outside my apartment."
"Yeah, you might want to ask the landlord to look at that."

The worst part is that I would then write down "masonry crappy, make this cause problems in three sessions if he doesn't talk to the landlord" and I'd actually do it too. Whereas it wouldn't even have existed if I hadn't needed to invent something for his awesome perception roll.

I'm kind of a dick sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sanford posted:

Wow, he's been punching 'em out lately.

I really hope the next strip's another one of those long Haley fight sequences.