Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
hey guys, any chance of some sound clips out of those damage control pedals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Exploded posted:

hey guys, any chance of some sound clips out of those damage control pedals?

Absolutely. I'll demo the two pedals with the mic preamp. It'll be a metademo.

Draesk
Sep 12, 2007

Pointblank posted:

I got this a few months back but only got around to taking decent pictures of it recently. It took 16 weeks between the deposit and delivery because the slow boat from Japan is really, you know, slow.

I switched in a 85 in the bridge, and it has a 60 in the neck; sound great, plays great and I love how it looks.

That is loving gorgeous. :swoon:

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
Well after stalking craigslist in the non-sexual way for the last few weeks or so, I pounced on this as soon as it was posted, and scored it for $160, terrible camera phone pics ahoy!

:woop:

It's a 93 Mexi fat strat. I guess $160 might be a little high for a guitar that old, but it has a floyd rose trem and iirc older mexis are better anyway. Regardless, going from my lovely jackson JLwhatever to this, I can't believe there is this much difference in the tone and sound. It's loving amazing. The only issue I've had so far is the neck pickup sometimes cuts out completely, but I think it's a switch issue since jiggling the switch brings it back. Either way, I'm in love.

edit: poo poo, can't get the pics to work, will get them up eventually.
edit2: much better, didn't realize imageshack was blocked heh.

fret logic fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 2, 2008

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

fret logic posted:

Well after stalking craigslist in the non-sexual way for the last few weeks or so, I pounced on this as soon as it was posted, and scored it for $160, terrible camera phone pics ahoy!

:woop:

quote:

I guess $160 might be a little high for a guitar that old,

You mean that's AWESOME for a guitar that old. You can't get Fender Standards for that price.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

Susano-maku da! posted:

You mean that's AWESOME for a guitar that old. You can't get Fender Standards for that price.

Fender Standards as in Squiers? That's how I justified it at least, for $150 I could have a SSS Squier brand new that probably plays like garbage, or this sweet Mexi that plays good and sounds great even though it's pretty old.

I'm probably looking at it the wrong way, and a newer mexi doesn't mean better quality. It's starting to sound that way, considering I had a brand new fat strat a while back, and this one sounds and plays a poo poo load better.

fret logic fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 2, 2008

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
edit: oops.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

fret logic posted:

Fender Standards as in Squiers? That's how I justified it at least, for $150 I could have a SSS Squier brand new that probably plays like garbage, or this sweet Mexi that plays good and sounds great even though it's pretty old.

No, Fender Standards as in MIM Standards.

It doesn't matter, Fender FR Standards (Fat Strats with Floyd Roses) are $500 new nowadays. And MIM.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

Susano-maku da! posted:

No, Fender Standards as in MIM Standards. Yours isn't a Squier is it?

Oh, no, it's definitely a MIM HSS. I just didn't think the humbucker made a big difference in used prices since it's only a $50 difference in brand new prices.

edit: Sorry, I was all confused for a minute. Either way, it was totally worth what I paid, I'd honestly pay $300 for this exact guitar.

fret logic fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 2, 2008

Ramalama
May 6, 2007

It's coooool to be squ... squ... brrr

Currently en route to my house:

Lefty Schecter C-1 Classic

Thank you, ebay.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Antarctic Square posted:

Thank you, ebay.

am I wrong in thinking that that upper horn looks really, really huge? Or the lower cutaway is really, really deep?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Susano-maku da! posted:

Really? That's about what I bought my old MIM Strat with a floyd rose on it for and it was in great condition, guy seemed to definitely know his guitars as well.

I ended up trading it for a Peavey Vortex that can be found in this thread somewhere.

It tore my heart out to let go of that thing though :smith: I miss it a lot now. Love my vortex too for sure but it needs some work.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Antarctic Square posted:

Thank you, ebay.

I think that's going to be my next guitar, lefty and all. How much did you pay?

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002

PenguinBob posted:

am I wrong in thinking that that upper horn looks really, really huge? Or the lower cutaway is really, really deep?

it kinda looks like both, actually.
It's still a pretty sweet guitar. I like the inlay.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Exploded posted:

it kinda looks like both, actually.
It's still a pretty sweet guitar. I like the inlay.

I think it's the left-handedness loving with our heads. Even lefty strats can look a bit weird.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
Nah, i am a lefty, coincidentally i play a lefty MIM strat.
Honestly it could just be that the picture is oriented upside down from how we usually look at guitars.
Either way, i hate fretboard inlays with the fury of one thousand suns, usually, but that one is loving sweet. The top looks really nice too.
I'd get a schecter if they didn't have that "EXTREME NU-METAL" stigma to them. I hear they play really good.

Crusty_mabiba
Mar 25, 2001

cool as lava.
finally got my deccabons today.

for the non drummers, they're the black tube-like toms. they sound pretty kick rear end. i'd upload something but i have nothing to record it with. you're going to have to trust me they sound cool.

The_MeatOne
Dec 4, 2005

I just wanna touch you.
I picked up a Behringer BTR2000 rack tuner and a Furman M8-L rack conditioner so I'm pretty happy and cant wait to try them out, I just need to get back to my campus.

Ramalama
May 6, 2007

PenguinBob posted:

I thought it looked a little off at first, but ignored it because lefties tend to look odd to me. The difference does look a little more extreme than it should, but after putting a different shot of it next to a flipped stock photo, it could just be the angle.

Still hard to tell.

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I think that's going to be my next guitar, lefty and all. How much did you pay?
I got it for $620. Looks like they're are going for about $700 at the moment.

Exploded posted:

"EXTREME NU-METAL" stigma
I was little hesitant because of the nu-metal association with Schecter, but it's received really good reviews and is supposed to be a quality guitar for the price. And I like the inlay a lot.

Loote
Nov 22, 2007

Antarctic Square posted:

Thank you, ebay.

Wow beautiful looking guitar man. How about a close of shot of the inlay?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Really? That's about what I bought my old MIM Strat with a floyd rose on it for and it was in great condition, guy seemed to definitely know his guitars as well.

I ended up trading it for a Peavey Vortex that can be found in this thread somewhere.

It tore my heart out to let go of that thing though :smith: I miss it a lot now. Love my vortex too for sure but it needs some work.

Duh, that was my Vortex you got!

I ended up selling your strat because of my wrist pain. No more 25.5" scale guitars for me.

Honestly, though, the thing had a bunch of problems. The Humbucker was essentially dead--one coil had wires sticking out of it. The Floyd had been bent so far out of alignment that it was beginning to harm the neck. You had it set at a 45 degree angle; the Floyds are supposed to be parallel to the body of the guitar. That's a problem with the current generation of MIM FR Standard strats. The cavity for the Floyd isn't carved properly, so you can only bend upwards... unless you configure the Floyd in such a way that it harms the guitar.

So the guitar was pretty much on the tipping point of being in real trouble. I blew 70 bucks on it getting it configured as best as possible, but the luthier basically said that it was "going to go real soon."

If you ever get another HSS/Floyd strat, I'd recommend looking for a MIJ or an American one. They really are great guitars, far FAR better than the FR Standards. Hell, someone on Harmony Central is selling a 89/90 HSS Floyd Rose MIJ Strat right now.

Ramalama
May 6, 2007

Loote posted:

Wow beautiful looking guitar man. How about a close of shot of the inlay?

The guitar hasn't arrived yet, so I'll just post one of shots from the ebay listing:

Yeah... still not close enough, and the flash makes it hard to see the inlay clearly.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I get that weird 'off' feeling every time I see a right handed guitar.

:gonk:

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

I've been planning on getting a Flying V soon, and I've had my eye on the Epiphone Korina V ($499), but I recently found a brand new Gibson Flying V for $580. The thing lists at $1000+ online, so I'm a bit suspicious if there's something really wrong with that particular model. I found the same model listed a few plays on ebay at around the same price. Am I missing something here?

It's the worn Cherry Red Gibson, by the way.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
It depends on the finish. I have seen the gibson worn cherry V go for as little as 500 new.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm £300 short.
And theres no desk space to put it on yet... because my decks are taking it up. 1210's, so should go for around 350-400.

SOMEBODY PLEASE BUY MY DECKS

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I get that weird 'off' feeling every time I see a right handed guitar.

I play lefty and I get that weird feeling everytime I see a left handed guitar, especially Stratocasters. :(

cuppy
Dec 28, 2005

chomp chomp
some cheap stuff:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Exploded posted:

It depends on the finish. I have seen the gibson worn cherry V go for as little as 500 new.

the worn cherry line was the budget line of gibsons for a little bit. I came close to picking up a worn cherry SG a few years ago.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

cuppy posted:

some cheap stuff:

whoa, how much did you pay for those old EHX boxes?

and what the hell kind of guitar is that? it looks like the 70s bastard child of a mosrite and something that just makes no sense at all, I love it.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

And what are those old EHX boxes?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Engine Fortegue posted:

And what are those old EHX boxes?

well I looked them up. apparently the "muff fuzz" is exactly the same as the current Nano Muff, and the LPB is just a gain boost.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

PenguinBob posted:

and what the hell kind of guitar is that? it looks like the 70s bastard child of a mosrite and something that just makes no sense at all, I love it.

Yeah, I'm completely stunned, is that an original Muff? You're right about the Mosrite part, but it's definitely got Silvertone elements, like someone took the two and threw them into a washing machine, but in a really good way.

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!
I went into Guitar Center the other day to trade in some pedals and buy a compressor for my bass. Their stock was a bit limited at the time, and I ended up walking out with an Electro Harmonix Soul Preacher. I'm sure it's great for guitar, but it's not working out for me at all now that I've had a chance to try it with my own gear. I think I'm gonna return it for a Digitech Bass Squeeze real soon unless anyone here knows of something better for $100 or less.

Also, when I get a good job again I'm gonna start saving for an Ampeg SVT3. I love my Super Redhead, but I've been getting pangs of gear lust for Ampeg lately.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

help i am on fire posted:

I think I'm gonna return it for a Digitech Bass Squeeze real soon unless anyone here knows of something better for $100 or less.
My favorite compressor pedal is the MXR Super Comp and it's definitely less than $100. However I am a guitarist and I have not used one on bass before so check it out yourself and see I guess.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Upon recommendation of Agreed:

I haven't even had a chance to try one out, I just bought a pre-gigged one on eBay for half the RRP. So, heres hoping I actually like it.

ChefPark
Oct 22, 2007
My last names Park and i am a chef...Chef Park
http://xerohybridpark.googlepages.com/1206071220.jpg

Marshall JVM410H 100watt head
Marshall 1960a Vintage Cab

cuppy
Dec 28, 2005

chomp chomp

PenguinBob posted:

i picked this stuff up at a yard sale for almost nothing, fortunately for me they didn't know what the ehx boxes were, and didn't seem to care as long as someone took them away. the guitar is made by 'avalon' and i have had little luck finding any info about it. i thought it looked vaguely familiar though, and then realized it is the same guitar as seen here:

here's a couple more photos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Holy poo poo, think of all the brilliant music that was created with that guitar.