Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've supposedly got some spyware or virus that makes that snowy pattern on Windows. How can I scan my Windows drive from Ubuntu? I used clam, but it didn't find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

^^ Nod32 produce a Linux virus scanner and it has a free 30 day trial:

http://www.eset.com/

hooah posted:

How do I know what disk device my mp3 player is?

Typing 'mount' with no arguments reveals a list of all mounted drives - you should see your mp3 player in that list (maybe /dev/sdax... mounted on something like /media/usbdisk)

If you just wanted to paste the output into a post, we can tell you which one it is.

Alternatively typing 'dmesg | tail' immediately after plugging the mp3 player in should also reveal where it is being mounted.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Col posted:

^^ Nod32 produce a Linux virus scanner and it has a free 30 day trial:

http://www.eset.com/

Where is the Linux version?

quote:

Typing 'mount' with no arguments reveals a list of all mounted drives - you should see your mp3 player in that list (maybe /dev/sdax... mounted on something like /media/usbdisk)

If you just wanted to paste the output into a post, we can tell you which one it is.

Alternatively typing 'dmesg | tail' immediately after plugging the mp3 player in should also reveal where it is being mounted.

Here's the output of mount:
code:
/dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /media/Windows type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/hdd on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=swmmn

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Where is the Linux version?

ESET FileSecurity Linux is the only thing I could find.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

hooah, also try ClamAV. It's open source, so it should be in your package manager.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Scaevolus posted:

hooah, also try ClamAV. It's open source, so it should be in your package manager.

I tried that, but it didn't find anything. Not sure if it was only looking for Linux-applicable virii, or not looking for spyware, or what.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

xdice posted:

I had this exact same problem with my iPod and Amarok.

The solution that worked for me:

(as root)

mount -t vfat -o nosuid,nodev,uid=(your UID here),umask=077 /dev/whatever_disk_device_your_mp3_player_is /mnt/mp3player (or something else you'd rather have it be.).

The options set the owner of the mountpoint to you, once it's mounted, and you're the only user that can do anything with it (the umask=077 translates into a mountpoint with read,write and execute permissions only for you.). You can determine your UID with the 'id' command.

Edit: Looked at my setup, realized I'd done it a better way.

Thanks eh, this works perfectly.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Here's the output of mount:

I didn't see any obvious mp3 candidates in your mount list.

Ok - If your mp3 player is plugged in, unplug it (it's not mounted, so it'll be safe.).

Now, pull up a terminal.

Type 'dmesg' - you'll get a long list of text, and that's cool - note the last line. We're going to type this command again in a moment, and it's good to know what the last line is, so anything added is clear.

Plug in your mp3 player.

Wait about 30 seconds or so, then type 'dmesg' again. At the end of it, you should see stuff that looks similar to this:

code:
usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 1-7: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
scsi8 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 7
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Apple    iPod             1.62 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] 39075372 2048-byte hardware sectors (80026 MB)
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Mode Sense: 68 00 00 08
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sdd: sdd1 sdd2
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
What's all that? That my Linux box detecting and mounting my iPod. See the [sdd] in brackets? That means that it is /dev/sdd. That's what you are looking for to see which disk device your mp3 player is being detected as.

The most important line is this one:
code:
That means there are two partitions. The music on my iPod lives on /dev/sdd2. Your mp3 player will look similar, but not exactly the same.

The mount type to use for your device will most certainly be 'vfat', which means the mount line in my original answer should still work, once you use the above to determine which device it is.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I've already blown away my Ubuntu partition, but one thing that really struck me as odd is that Linux doesn't seem to have mature support for mounting ISOs the way Daemon Tools or Alcohol do in Windows. Out of the box it seems you can only mount an ISO format image and generally through the commandline. I was able to find a couple pieces of virtual drive software but I couldn't figure out how to install the first and the second ran into an impassible bug on the very first install I tried. I don't think either of them had support for mounting the full range of image formats you generally run into.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Remote Viewer posted:

I've already blown away my Ubuntu partition, but one thing that really struck me as odd is that Linux doesn't seem to have mature support for mounting ISOs the way Daemon Tools or Alcohol do in Windows. Out of the box it seems you can only mount an ISO format image and generally through the commandline. I was able to find a couple pieces of virtual drive software but I couldn't figure out how to install the first and the second ran into an impassible bug on the very first install I tried. I don't think either of them had support for mounting the full range of image formats you generally run into.

You could always set up a Nautilus Script for an easy right clicking option. Granted I don't think this handles non ISO images, but I'd imagine it could be adapted.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
This question seems to be alot easier to answer than some of these CLI questions, but I was thinking of installing something like Ubuntu on my grandmother's computer (Because she is moving from MSN and only uses the browser).

I do have an issue though, is there a good alternative to Microsoft Money or whatever it's called? They want to do business information on the computer.

I doubt I'd be able to do this because it's partly my father's business and he swears that doing it is way too much trouble than it's worth, and that it would be too hard for her, and I don't know what I'm doing, even though this computer is too slow for XP and needs a fresh install anyways. (Which is kind of funny since I'm going into Computer Science right now)

Additionally, Isn't there a browser for linux that works like IE for those dumb websites who only work under IE rather than FireFox?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Gvaz posted:

I do have an issue though, is there a good alternative to Microsoft Money or whatever it's called? They want to do business information on the computer.

GnuCash

Gvaz posted:

Additionally, Isn't there a browser for linux that works like IE for those dumb websites who only work under IE rather than FireFox?

Thankfully sites that outright won't let you in unless you're using IE are getting even more rare these days. I wouldn't worry about it.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!

Gvaz posted:

I've never tried it myself, but there is IEs4Linux. http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Accipiter posted:

GnuCash

GnuCash really sucks rear end in a top hat compared to Money or Quicken. At least the UI does.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Why doesnt cron run my backup script?

First off, the backup script I got from another thread here wont run from cron.daily for some reason. Other scripts run but my backup one will not run, which is kind of important. Heres the crontab:

quote:

# m h dom mon dow user command
25 3 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )

and the backup scrpt is in cron.daily

quote:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 140 2007-12-28 14:24 backup

am I just missing something obvious?

edit - heres the script
tar cvpzf /backupmnt/backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backupmnt --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/
media --exclude=/sys /

also - can I add anything to that script to add a time stamp to the file name?

rugbert fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 2, 2008

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anything other antivirus ideas?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

The Remote Viewer posted:

GnuCash really sucks rear end in a top hat compared to Money or Quicken. At least the UI does.

kmymoney seems to be another Gnucash alternative.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xdice posted:

I didn't see any obvious mp3 candidates in your mount list.

Ok - If your mp3 player is plugged in, unplug it (it's not mounted, so it'll be safe.).

Now, pull up a terminal.

Type 'dmesg' - you'll get a long list of text, and that's cool - note the last line. We're going to type this command again in a moment, and it's good to know what the last line is, so anything added is clear.

Plug in your mp3 player.

Wait about 30 seconds or so, then type 'dmesg' again. At the end of it, you should see stuff that looks similar to this:

code:
usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 1-7: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
scsi8 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 7
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Apple    iPod             1.62 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
What's all that? That my Linux box detecting and mounting my iPod. See the [sdd] in brackets? That means that it is /dev/sdd. That's what you are looking for to see which disk device your mp3 player is being detected as.

The most important line is this one:
code:
That means there are two partitions. The music on my iPod lives on /dev/sdd2. Your mp3 player will look similar, but not exactly the same.

The mount type to use for your device will most certainly be 'vfat', which means the mount line in my original answer should still work, once you use the above to determine which device it is.

Here's the only thing I could find that didn't look like networking information (even after I turned networking off?):

code:
[109442.254550] usb 5-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 13
[109442.388481] usb 5-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Here's the only thing I could find that didn't look like networking information (even after I turned networking off?):

code:
[109442.254550] usb 5-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 13
[109442.388481] usb 5-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Well, that's a pretty close match to the first two lines of what I posted when I did the example in my last post - what do you see next after that?

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

rugbert posted:

First off, the backup script I got from another thread here wont run from cron.daily for some reason. Other scripts run but my backup one will not run, which is kind of important. Heres the crontab:

and the backup scrpt is in cron.daily

am I just missing something obvious?

edit - heres the script
tar cvpzf /backupmnt/backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backupmnt --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/
media --exclude=/sys /

also - can I add anything to that script to add a time stamp to the file name?

code:
/bin/tar cvpzf /backupmnt/backup-`date +%F`.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found 
--exclude=/backupmnt --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/sys /
The `date +%F` makes your tarball have the date as part of the filename (that date command is enclosed in backticks, not single quotes, btw.). I added '/bin/tar' to it, rather than just 'tar' as I've run into problems with programs in cron not having a proper search path. You can fix it by declaring it in the script, or just always use full path for commands (both are equally correct, I'm in the habit of the latter.).

You might check /var/log/cron.log and see if there are any errors there related to that cron.daily entry. Personally, I'd put it into root's crontab, and be done with it:

code:
0 3 * * * root /bin/tar cvpzf /backupmnt/backup-`date +F%`.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found 
--exclude=/backupmnt --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/sys /
(That would run the command every day at 3am.)

Also - a full backup like you are doing with that command will take up a lot of disk space, depending upon how many you keep on-hand (just something to think about going forward.).

Edit1: Fix code line length to unbreak table.
Edit2: Fix date options in first code block.

xdice fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 3, 2008

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xdice posted:

Well, that's a pretty close match to the first two lines of what I posted when I did the example in my last post - what do you see next after that?

That's right at the end.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

hooah posted:

That's right at the end.

I went back and read your initial post after that answer, as it wasn't what I expected...

..then I saw the MTP device note in your post, and realized why you weren't seeing the stuff in the logs that I thought you should - your device doesn't present itself to the system as a disk device.

I did some poking around, and found a page that talked about the setup with these devices under /etc/udev/libmtp.rules.

On that page, was a note, and a changed libmtp.rules file. If you go into /etc/udev/rules.d, you'll see a file named "libmtp.rules". This is what is used to setup the permissions for your device.

Your user should be in the 'audio' group. Do 'id', and check, first of all.

If not, then do

code:
sudo usermod -G audio -a your_username
If so (or if you just added your user to the audio group), do this: cp /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules /tmp
(making a backup copy before we make some changes).

Open /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules in your favorite editor, and you'll see a bunch of lines, with MODE="660", GROUP="audio" at the end.

Change the MODE="660" to MODE="666" on each line.

Save the file, then reboot (this will force your changes to be re-read, and udev will setup everything with our new permissions.

After your system is back, run Amarok as non-root, and see if you can access your Zen device. If it's still not working as non-root, there's another change we can make - but I'm a firm believer in making changes one-step-at-a-time.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Hey all,

I'm trying to switch back to Windows and then make a partition using the linux boot cd so I can use both but I'm running into a snag.

When I boot from the XP disc it doesn't recognize my hard drive. I'm running gpart to switch the partition on my hard drive but it won't let me. There's a little lock symbol next to my main hdd. Can anyone help me with this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xdice posted:

I went back and read your initial post after that answer, as it wasn't what I expected...

..then I saw the MTP device note in your post, and realized why you weren't seeing the stuff in the logs that I thought you should - your device doesn't present itself to the system as a disk device.

I did some poking around, and found a page that talked about the setup with these devices under /etc/udev/libmtp.rules.

On that page, was a note, and a changed libmtp.rules file. If you go into /etc/udev/rules.d, you'll see a file named "libmtp.rules". This is what is used to setup the permissions for your device.

Your user should be in the 'audio' group. Do 'id', and check, first of all.

If not, then do

code:
sudo usermod -G audio -a your_username
If so (or if you just added your user to the audio group), do this: cp /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules /tmp
(making a backup copy before we make some changes).

Open /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules in your favorite editor, and you'll see a bunch of lines, with MODE="660", GROUP="audio" at the end.

Change the MODE="660" to MODE="666" on each line.

Save the file, then reboot (this will force your changes to be re-read, and udev will setup everything with our new permissions.

After your system is back, run Amarok as non-root, and see if you can access your Zen device. If it's still not working as non-root, there's another change we can make - but I'm a firm believer in making changes one-step-at-a-time.

Alright, here's the new dmesg | tail output:

code:
[  538.924577] usb 5-7: USB disconnect, address 8
[  559.360045] usb 5-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
[  559.493937] usb 5-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Alright, here's the new dmesg | tail output:

code:
[  538.924577] usb 5-7: USB disconnect, address 8
[  559.360045] usb 5-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
[  559.493937] usb 5-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Because the device is accessed via libmtp, the dmesg output just tells us that it's connected, and that's all.

Try doing a 'mtp-detect' as your regular user, and post the output, if you could.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xdice posted:

Because the device is accessed via libmtp, the dmesg output just tells us that it's connected, and that's all.

Try doing a 'mtp-detect' as your regular user, and post the output, if you could.

Attempting to connect device(s)
Detect: No Devices have been found

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Attempting to connect device(s)
Detect: No Devices have been found

Hmm, not what I expected to see.

Could you post the first couple lines from /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules that contain the MODE stuff I had you edit earlier, and the output of the 'id' command for your local user you're trying this as.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

rugbert posted:

Someone covered your q about timestamping.

2 things to check. 1. Make sure the script is chmod +x. 2. Make sure the name is scriptname.cron

Not having scripts in the cron.x directories named .cron is a bug in some versions of the run-parts thing. Drove me nuts till I found that.

If you've got that covered, then can't tell you. Turn on cron logging, and see if it gives more info.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

xdice posted:

[code]
cron stuff

Nice, thanks! Ill see how this works out. I know it would take a lot of disk space (and time) but my boss wants it done, so it'll have to stay this way for now.

chryst posted:

Someone covered your q about timestamping.

2 things to check. 1. Make sure the script is chmod +x. 2. Make sure the name is scriptname.cron

Not having scripts in the cron.x directories named .cron is a bug in some versions of the run-parts thing. Drove me nuts till I found that.

If you've got that covered, then can't tell you. Turn on cron logging, and see if it gives more info.

The file permissions are correct but after I try xdice's idea Ill try yours. Thanks!

rugbert fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 3, 2008

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xdice posted:

Hmm, not what I expected to see.

Could you post the first couple lines from /etc/udev/rules.d/libmtp.rules that contain the MODE stuff I had you edit earlier, and the output of the 'id' command for your local user you're trying this as.

Here's all of the lines that have "Creative" in them:

code:
# Creative Zen Vision
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="411f", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Portable Media Center
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4123", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Zen Xtra (MTP mode)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4128", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Second generation Dell DJ
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="412f", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Zen Micro (MTP mode)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4130", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Zen Touch (MTP mode)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4131", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Accipiter posted:

GnuCash

Thankfully sites that outright won't let you in unless you're using IE are getting even more rare these days. I wouldn't worry about it.

Konqueror will let you change your browser identification.

Edit: Im an idiot, its Konqueror, not Firefox.

hippynerd fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 4, 2008

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I recently re-installed my media player's OS from Redhat 7 to Ubuntu Server (whatever is current). It's a headless system without any desktop.

The one thing I cannot figure out is how to detect the insertion of an audio CD. I think I have udev setup correctly but inserting the CD doesn't trigger any kind of event.

Under the RedHat7 system, I hacked either KDE or Gnome's autorun program that apparently watched the insertion of CD and launched my ripper. I'd rather do it "correctly" if that's possible.

I've spent the better part of two hours googling for various combinations of "linux", "detect", "audio cd" and can't come up with anything.

Surely there's a way to do this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I change the color depth on Ubuntu? Also, I'm still looking for a way to scan for viruses/spyware on my Windows drive from Ubuntu.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Cheesus posted:

I recently re-installed my media player's OS from Redhat 7 to Ubuntu Server (whatever is current). It's a headless system without any desktop.

The one thing I cannot figure out is how to detect the insertion of an audio CD. I think I have udev setup correctly but inserting the CD doesn't trigger any kind of event.

Under the RedHat7 system, I hacked either KDE or Gnome's autorun program that apparently watched the insertion of CD and launched my ripper. I'd rather do it "correctly" if that's possible.

I've spent the better part of two hours googling for various combinations of "linux", "detect", "audio cd" and can't come up with anything.

Surely there's a way to do this?

Gnome (KDE too?) use D-Bus and HAL to detect the CD drive's events. Back on gentoo and before it got adopted across the board, I used ivman to mount my usb key on insertion. The homepage mentions it functions as a generic HAL message handler:
http://ivman.sourceforge.net/

The configuration files have examples for launching different programs if the media is a DVD, etc.

I don't know if it's considered the best or even an elegant solution, but it beats having some script polling your drive every few seconds. Also, I don't know if Ubuntu server has some first party app doing exactly what it does running already.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Is there a thread/poll about which file system everyone uses?

I just got another external hard drive and its time to decide how Im going to format it.

I was just going to go for ext3 but I thought of two major problems. One, it wouldnt be able to be read or written to from windows (or at least it didnt when I was dual booting) if I take it to a friends. And two, XMBC is having issues connecting to it even tho SAMBA is all set up. I can access my external NTFS just fine but not the ext3.

And then after about an hour or reading about alternate file systems Im just confused because of all the mixed reviews. Should I start a new thread about this or should it go in here?

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I've got a triple head X setup with three distinct screens for a few reasons--Xinerama doesn't support acceleration, and with nvidia/Xinerama/Twinview (which does support acceleration) windows were maximizing to both screens on my dual-head nvidia card. I actually don't mind having separate displays too much; it's a bit like synergy without two computers making too much noise and the subtle but ever-present mouse lag I would get under heavy load, despite prioritizing synergy/moused to -20. Not being able to drag windows between screens is pretty minor for me as copy/paste works. I just have to be careful about where I spawn programs.

I've run into a problem though. If I want Firefox windows in more than one X display, the second/third display will complain that Firefox is running but not responding and won't launch. Is there a Firefox or OS setting that can work around this?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

The Gay Bean posted:

I've run into a problem though. If I want Firefox windows in more than one X display, the second/third display will complain that Firefox is running but not responding and won't launch. Is there a Firefox or OS setting that can work around this?
You could trying running Firefox with the -no-remote option, but even if that works you run a high risk of corrupting your profile.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Here's all of the lines that have "Creative" in them:

code:
# Creative Zen Vision
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="411f", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Portable Media Center
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4123", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Zen Xtra (MTP mode)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4128", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Second generation Dell DJ
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="412f", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Zen Micro (MTP mode)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4130", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"
# Creative Zen Touch (MTP mode)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="041e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4131", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio"

Well, you can try removing the GROUP="audio" from each of those lines, then rebooting, run Amarok as you, and then connect up your device and see if Amarok can detect it. Beyond that, I'm out of ideas for now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xdice posted:

Well, you can try removing the GROUP="audio" from each of those lines, then rebooting, run Amarok as you, and then connect up your device and see if Amarok can detect it. Beyond that, I'm out of ideas for now.

Still no luck.

Also, do you have any answers for my other questions a few posts up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

hooah posted:

How can I change the color depth on Ubuntu?

Generally, DefaultDepth in /etc/X11/xorg.conf