Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Turra posted:

I got my touch for christmas and i love it, but i think theres something wrong with the accelerometers, they seemed to get stuck or be non responsive the other day, but then when i picked it up again awhile later it was fine, now they are stuck again but it thinks it is on its side even when i shake it around. I dunno if its a hardware problem or software bugging out but its getting quite annoying when i go into safari or to look through music. Anyone else had this issue?

This is still persisting, every so often it is okay but most of the time they are non responsive or stuck sideways one way or the other. My friend thinks I should send it back but I am kinda hoping it will get better... Anyone elses getting stuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I'm posting on my touchright now. I haven't had an issue like that. My issues so far: AOL mail doesn't want to run period, Google keeps hiding then showing results, Facebook sometimes doesn't always display everything it should ("iPhone version" of Facebook), and I have a strange tendacy to hit those <really annoying> internals ads.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
How well does the GBA system work?

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

As far as I can tell the sound is pretty bad but I played some pokemon on it haha. You really have to try it yourself.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Disappointing Pie posted:

It depends on the game. Anything turn based is your best bet (I've been playing a lot of Advance Wars on it), and the sound can be choppy, so I usually don't bother with headphones.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Does anyone have a good guide for how to Jailbreak 1.1.2? I'd like to add one to the OP for all the people who got a touch for Christmas with 1.1.2 already on it.

John Locke
Aug 31, 2004

Bad things happen to people who hang around with me.
I used ProvostZak's post here and it worked perfectly. :)

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Haha that'll teach me to not check my own thread.

Thanks!

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

1karus posted:

I noticed last night that I couldn't reply on the forums from my iTouch.

Is this a known issue with text boxes of this size, or is this something related to the forums themselves?

I've been able to reply just fine on my touch. What happens to yours?

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
The page loads, but there is no cursor or interaction in the text field.

Clicking on the text box also does nothing.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
since i can ftp to the Touch, can i ftp to another Touch from my Touch?

i basically want the ability to transfer files between Touches.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What are your guys favorite screen protectors? I know the touch doesn't really need it because it's semi-glass or whatever. But so is it completely worth it? I'm thinking of the shieldzone.

And where should I get it? I'll probably get mine from Amazon

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

stoops posted:

since i can ftp to the Touch, can i ftp to another Touch from my Touch?

i basically want the ability to transfer files between Touches.

You'd have to have an FTP client to do it from one touch to another. The touch runs a server, so you can connect TO it.

Christoff posted:

What are your guys favorite screen protectors? I know the touch doesn't really need it because it's semi-glass or whatever. But so is it completely worth it? I'm thinking of the shieldzone.

And where should I get it? I'll probably get mine from Amazon

I mentioned one that I love and use a page or two back, check my posts. I'm sure other people have said things about other ones somewhere in this thread.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS

Hillridge posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for how to Jailbreak 1.1.2? I'd like to add one to the OP for all the people who got a touch for Christmas with 1.1.2 already on it.
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=212346

Try this one.

While we are on the subject. If I downgrade my 1.1.2 does this mean I will erase my ipod touch's music and movies?

Is there a way to back it up since programs for the mac such as Ipod Disk doesn't work?

Justin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 4, 2008

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

Zeph posted:

I mentioned one that I love and use a page or two back, check my posts. I'm sure other people have said things about other ones somewhere in this thread.

Here is the one you mentioned earlier. I actually bought it straight off your recommendation and I couldn't be happier with it. It's probably the best one I've ever used. Anti-glare works good and this thing is really good about not smearing after being used.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

shoafer0 posted:

Here is the one you mentioned earlier. I actually bought it straight off your recommendation and I couldn't be happier with it. It's probably the best one I've ever used. Anti-glare works good and this thing is really good about not smearing after being used.

How much of the back is covered? In particular, how are the corners handled?

Also, if anyone is using this skin, and have used BestSkinsEver skins, could you offer a comparison between the two?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I was going to buy a touch but on the 14th isn't there macmall or something?

I read on another forum to wait. While I doubt they'll be a new ipod touch until September. One can expect a price drop.

What do you guys think?

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
I've been trying to hold off the Touch until Macworld, but I caved last night and picked one up at Costco so that I could return it if a new model comes out soon. The 1.1.2 instructions linked in this thread were great and got me up and running without any issues. After playing with this thing for only 10 minutes I'm ready for my current cellular contract to expire so I can get an iPhone.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
The above iLounge article says the Jailbreaking will delete all the media on it. Is this true?

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

How much of the back is covered? In particular, how are the corners handled?

Also, if anyone is using this skin, and have used BestSkinsEver skins, could you offer a comparison between the two?

Short and sweet. It doesn't. The back piece is literally just a flat section that covers just the back and leaves about a 1/4 in. exposed around the edges and corners. I'm actually using this screen protector and back protector in conjunction with the clear plastic one that was linked to earlier in the thread, so the corners being exposed is not an issue for me. Initially I bought it thinking that it was just the screen protector and not the back. So the way I view it, it was a bonus!

Here's a link to the shell that I'm using with it.
Here -- It comes with a plastic screen protector but it's utter poo poo.

LaptopGun posted:

The above iLounge article says the Jailbreaking will delete all the media on it. Is this true?

True. You're loading new firmware, so yes, it deletes you data.

shoafer0 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 4, 2008

loopbackzero
Aug 5, 2003
xd
I jailbroke mine the other day, and at no point did either downgrading to 1.1.1, jailbreaking, upgrading to 1.1.2, jailbreaking, etc ever blank my ipod, all the music and playlists i had at the beginning stayed intact, which I was not expecting. Odd?

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh
My 7 gigs of music was gone after downgrading to 1.1.1 then upgraded to 1.1.2 after jailbreaking. So I'm not sure at what point they went away, but they did.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

loopbackzero posted:

I jailbroke mine the other day, and at no point did either downgrading to 1.1.1, jailbreaking, upgrading to 1.1.2, jailbreaking, etc ever blank my ipod, all the music and playlists i had at the beginning stayed intact, which I was not expecting. Odd?

Yes, that's odd. Downgrading to 1.1.1 has to clear the 1.1.2 firmware then load entirely new firmware on it, I'm really surprised yours didn't format. Mine did, along with my friends who did it as well.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
This is kind of related to the ipod but im just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
How might I go about setting up a proxy server on my webhost or from home that I could use with my ipod at a remote location(namely school so I can get past filters...)?

I have tried a couple of things but those havnt really helped much.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

kevdude posted:

Yes, that's odd. Downgrading to 1.1.1 has to clear the 1.1.2 firmware then load entirely new firmware on it, I'm really surprised yours didn't format. Mine did, along with my friends who did it as well.

I'm 90% certain I put some music on my Touch from my Mac Mini when I first got it and it was running 1.1.2. I then hooked it up to my Macbook, partnered to the iTunes on that machine, downgraded to 1.1.1, jailbroke, upgraded to 1.1.2, jailbroke again, then synced some TV shows from iTunes on my macbook to the Touch. Right now my Touch has music (from mac mini iTunes) and movies (from macbook iTunes), some of the data when it was 1.1.2 pre-jailbreak, then other after the downgrade, jailbreak, upgrade, jailbreak. My guess is that you chose to auto-sync your ipod so it kept clearing the library when you created a new partnership, whereas I set mine so I physically move files from iTunes to the ipod.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

Schmoli posted:

My guess is that you chose to auto-sync your ipod so it kept clearing the library when you created a new partnership, whereas I set mine so I physically move files from iTunes to the ipod.

Mine was set to manual as well when it cleared it out.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Christoff posted:

I was going to buy a touch but on the 14th isn't there macmall or something?

I read on another forum to wait. While I doubt they'll be a new ipod touch until September. One can expect a price drop.

What do you guys think?

I doubt that they will cut the price anytime soon, since Apple is already paranoid about the touch taking sales away from the iPhone.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Squirrel007 posted:

This is kind of related to the ipod but im just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
How might I go about setting up a proxy server on my webhost or from home that I could use with my ipod at a remote location(namely school so I can get past filters...)?

I have tried a couple of things but those haven't really helped much.

I haven't found a great one yet, but PHProxy and CGIProxy (don't remember the link) work for most stuff.

I haven't found a single one that youtube works with, but I also haven't looked in a while.

Also, watch how you word things. I believe it's against the rules in some forums, and maybe on all of SA, to ask how to bypass filters for work or school.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Hillridge posted:

I haven't found a great one yet, but PHProxy and CGIProxy (don't remember the link) work for most stuff.

I haven't found a single one that youtube works with, but I also haven't looked in a while.

Also, watch how you word things. I believe it's against the rules in some forums, and maybe on all of SA, to ask how to bypass filters for work or school.

Ah, whoops. Thanks for those links, and I would be using the proxy at school for the "weighted phrase extended" error at my school. Basically a long link such as a forum link will often mess up and it is quite annoying.

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my Touch back on wifi. When I turn on the Touch, it can see my router, but it will give me a "Unable to join the network "routername". I feel like a moron, but honestly, what am I doing wrong?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
You may remember one of the first games for the iPhone was a port of Doom that didn't work, well apparently someone else has taken over the abandoned project and there is now a working version with controls and everything. It also runs at full speed, or so I'm led to believe. Here is a video

The homepage is here, I'm now trying to find my old Doom disks to copy the wad file over and test it out. I hope my disk isn't screwed beyond repair, it's been a few years! Have fun.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Does anyone know if PDFViewer is being updated or if there any other ways to view pdfs on a touch? PDFViewer is very basic and doesn't seem to allow for zooming.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
You zoom just like you do in Safari or on pictures, pulling two fingers apart.

And I am now searching for my doom disk as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm searching for my Doom disc too, but I honestly doubt I have it anymore. Is there anywhere to get a copy of the needed files? Buying it again is no problem if needed. (hopefully this isn't :filez: )

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kevdude posted:

I'm searching for my Doom disc too, but I honestly doubt I have it anymore. Is there anywhere to get a copy of the needed files? Buying it again is no problem if needed. (hopefully this isn't :filez: )

You can get Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom on Steam for $10 apiece.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I was nervous about jailbreaking my touch but I am very glad I did. Thanks for all the great instructions in this thread.

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

I'm having a problem where my ipod will cut short songs. For instance a 3:00 minute song in iTunes will play fine, however when put on my ipod it will be cut short to maybe only 0:49. I googled around a bit and found other people having the same problem, but no solution.

Suggestions?

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Luk3 posted:

I'm having a problem where my ipod will cut short songs. For instance a 3:00 minute song in iTunes will play fine, however when put on my ipod it will be cut short to maybe only 0:49. I googled around a bit and found other people having the same problem, but no solution.

Suggestions?

Try restoring your ipod or reinstalling your firmware if you dont want to resync all your stuff.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS
Posting on my jailbroken itouch! This is loving godly. I'm surprised at the way the fourms load.
I love the apps that I can put on this. My palm is offically outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseDoodle
Oct 14, 2003
I just recieved an 8gb iTouch in the mail today. Completely unexpected. A friend thought I should have one. I clicked the links to the first threads in the op but they are archived. I googled around and can't find what I'm looking for.

Ok, first, I have no idea what this white plastic thing is that came with the iTouch. The plug will fit through it and it kind of fits over the end of the iTouch, but otherwise there's nothing in the box that says what it's for and nothing on the apple site. I am not pretending to know poo poo about this thing so just tell me what it is and I'll be fine. Maybe.

And I found some apps on the appsafari site, but have no loving clue how to get them on my iTouch. Is there a thread for complete newbies on this subject? The first thing this thread discussed was how to hack my brand new electronic device. I really am fine with it the way it is for now. Showing me code is tantamount ot showing me sanskrit. Maybe after I learn how to use it I'll want to fiddle with it, but for now can someone just tell me where the idiots go for instructions?

• Locked thread