Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

SnatchRabbit posted:

I think I can get about 8 inches of vertical clearance and a foot or two deep in my entertainment center, roughly the dimensions of an old Xbox, which the HTPC would be replacing. I think the Antec Fusion is looking pretty good.

Word of warning! The Antec Fusion is wider than most stereo components AND requires air space on both sides as well as the top. If your space is only big enough for an Xbox is definitely won't hold a fusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

dfn_doe posted:

Word of warning! The Antec Fusion is wider than most stereo components AND requires air space on both sides as well as the top. If your space is only big enough for an Xbox is definitely won't hold a fusion.

Can anyone recommend a smaller case then? I figure I can clear about 5-6" height, 17" Depth and 10-12" Width.

Are shuttle PCs any good for HTPCs?

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 5, 2008

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TPS Report posted:

I came across this today. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880100951

It was the cheapest usb IR receiver I could find. Could I get this for the receiver and then download drivers for a remote and use my harmony?

Also, what benefits does USB-UIRT give me? $50 seems a lot to just be a receiver.

Thanks

As long as you can find software that will listen to the receiver and translate commands into keypresses, you're in business. I think HIP does this, and I know Girder does. Also, some of the front-ends out there (like Meedio and Media Portal) have built in features that will allow you to listen for commands.

As far as using a USB-UIRT, when I first started looking into this there weren't widely available IR receivers like there are now, so most people were using a USB-UIRT. I'm not sure what other advantages it has nowadays, though, which is why I mentioned you could find one cheaper.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

EC posted:

As long as you can find software that will listen to the receiver and translate commands into keypresses, you're in business. I think HIP does this, and I know Girder does. Also, some of the front-ends out there (like Meedio and Media Portal) have built in features that will allow you to listen for commands.

As far as using a USB-UIRT, when I first started looking into this there weren't widely available IR receivers like there are now, so most people were using a USB-UIRT. I'm not sure what other advantages it has nowadays, though, which is why I mentioned you could find one cheaper.

I started playing with a program called Event Ghost just yesterday, it is a very powerful FREE program which has functionality similar to girder but was much easier to configure. With it I am able to use my snapstream firefly remote (X10 RF instead of infrared) to actually control my PC, which is then able to SEND ir signals through the USB-UIRT to control my other components. This is one of the big advantages of the USB-UIRT over other recievers; it is a transceiver! And a pretty good one too, it has an internal receiver and transmitter as well as a stereo headphone jack on the back where you can use each channel (left,right) to connect another IR led output which can be controlled as separate zones.

I've only begun to get the setup perfected but with just a bit of fiddling I was able to get controls working for PowerDVD Ultra*, Beyond TV, and ZoomPlayer as well as get the RF remote to trigger an IR event which controls my stereo receiver. This software/hardware combination is awesome and the flexibility of the usb-uirt really is worth the extra cost.

* I finally got sick of using my 360 as a hd-dvd/dvd player and bought the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra yesterday afternoon. It totally sucked having to pay full retail for a type of product which I would normally just get as a bundled with some hardware. The playback video quality is SOOOOO much better than with the 360 though, which really made it an easy decision to pay for it. It doesn't exactly make the decision any harder once you see that cost of the hd/bluray dual format drives that include an OEM copy of PDVD Ultra ;)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SnatchRabbit posted:

I think the Antec Fusion is looking pretty good.

I have that case and it is great except for the front display, which is utter poo poo.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Gromit posted:

I have that case and it is great except for the front display, which is utter poo poo.

Yeah, the display is kind of pain to get it to do anything worthwhile, at least on my revision the software availability is quite low and not very good. I'm using LCD smartie with the imon driver. I hear that the newest revision of the fusion has a better LCD and an IR reciever which can do more stuff and uses more standard drivers. That said, once I got mine working I'd say that aside from not having much REAL utility it does look pretty swank and is plenty bright and readable; although I've heard others complain about their particular display having too low of a contrast or not liking the color.

I keep meaning to look into replacing mine with something a bit more substantial, perhaps a 4x20 vfd display.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

dfn_doe posted:

That said, once I got mine working I'd say that aside from not having much REAL utility it does look pretty swank and is plenty bright and readable; although I've heard others complain about their particular display having too low of a contrast or not liking the color.

Yours must look very different to mine. I have light blue text on a darker blue background, and anything outside of about 1 to 1.5 metres away you can't read it for poo poo. I would leave it with no drivers installed whatsoever, and just showing the time, except that the default font it uses is one of those embarressing "what the 1970s thought scifi text would look like" fonts.
When I first got it, it was worse, but a driver update improved the readability to what it is as described. Before that, it was unreadable no matter what, really.

The next time I have to open the case up I'll disconnect it entirely. It doesn't disaply anything I care about beyond the time, and it doesn't do that in a readable manner right now.

Actually, you say you use different drivers and software for yours. Do you have it working under Vista, and can you get it just to display the time in a static display (that is, not scrolling)?
I tried downloading LCDsmartie and (I think) iMon some months ago, but couldn't get anything to display at all. Could be Vista, or could just be my idiocy.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

dfn_doe posted:

Yeah, the display is kind of pain to get it to do anything worthwhile, at least on my revision the software availability is quite low and not very good. I'm using LCD smartie with the imon driver. I hear that the newest revision of the fusion has a better LCD and an IR reciever which can do more stuff and uses more standard drivers. That said, once I got mine working I'd say that aside from not having much REAL utility it does look pretty swank and is plenty bright and readable; although I've heard others complain about their particular display having too low of a contrast or not liking the color.

I keep meaning to look into replacing mine with something a bit more substantial, perhaps a 4x20 vfd display.

You guys are talking about the Fusion 430? How do you find the IR receiver? I'm planning on using this HTPC with a Harmony remote and would like some confirmation that it will work under Ubuntu/MythTV/Windows.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Gromit posted:

Yours must look very different to mine. I have light blue text on a darker blue background, and anything outside of about 1 to 1.5 metres away you can't read it for poo poo. I would leave it with no drivers installed whatsoever, and just showing the time, except that the default font it uses is one of those embarressing "what the 1970s thought scifi text would look like" fonts.
When I first got it, it was worse, but a driver update improved the readability to what it is as described. Before that, it was unreadable no matter what, really.

The next time I have to open the case up I'll disconnect it entirely. It doesn't disaply anything I care about beyond the time, and it doesn't do that in a readable manner right now.

Actually, you say you use different drivers and software for yours. Do you have it working under Vista, and can you get it just to display the time in a static display (that is, not scrolling)?
I tried downloading LCDsmartie and (I think) iMon some months ago, but couldn't get anything to display at all. Could be Vista, or could just be my idiocy.

So mine is bright blue text on a nearly black background, it has that distinctive VFD display brightness and angle of readability that allows me to easily read it from anywhere in the room.

LCD smartie is kind of hacky, but it seems to be the only 3rd party solution available for this display AND it requires you to copy a dll file from the imon software which is supplied with the chassis.

You can basically configure it to do all sorts of crazy shizzle, although I've noticed that LCD smartie has a habit of hogging resources if you try and get it to do too many things at once. I'll take a picture when I get some free time and also post up a copy of my config for anyone who is interested.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

You guys are talking about the Fusion 430? How do you find the IR receiver? I'm planning on using this HTPC with a Harmony remote and would like some confirmation that it will work under Ubuntu/MythTV/Windows.

I thought of getting the Fusion case, but in the end it was going to be too big. So I can't comment on that, but other Antec cases would probably fit rather nicely. The Minuet 300 but I believe it requires a half-height video card. I like the look of Thermaltake's Bach line but according to the dimensions those are just as large as the Fusions, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

dfn_doe posted:

Yeah, the display is kind of pain to get it to do anything worthwhile, at least on my revision the software availability is quite low and not very good. I'm using LCD smartie with the imon driver.

I know it's a common complaint that the bundled software doesn't do enough and should be replaced with LCDSmartie, but it does everything I want it to, keeping it simple. I just have it displaying the time when at the desktop/shutdown, and displaying info from Media Center when that's running. The problem is that after being on for a while the screen freezes up, software thinks it's unplugged, and only powering off the PSU will fix it. I've tried every driver version and still get the problem, and as it's a hardware thing, using LCDSmartie doesn't make any difference. Any ideas?

SnatchRabbit posted:

I've got the Fusion 2 (silver), but I guess the IR receiver won't be too much different. It works when I'm sat in front of the PC, but when I'm at an angle (only about 2.5m away) it won't pick up. For that reason I use the MS receiver that comes with the MCE remote, which works fine as long as I leave the iMon loaded after boot. If I quit and then reload it, it activates the built in receiver as well as the MS one that's already running, so every keypress gets received twice.

Overall I love the case (other than my VFD, but I think that's a completely different model on the black version) and would highly recommend it if you've got space. Just make sure you have circulation room around it, as it has vents on all sides.

Edit: Just realised it was you who posted the Dreamcast thread in SH/SC. I use my Fusion mainly for Media Center, but with EmuCenter have all my games going back to the 8 bit era in one box, rather than digging out my whole console collection from my parents' attic. With the 360 controller receiver it works beautifully :)

Froist fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 6, 2008

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Holy hell. Media Portal might just be the best thing ever. I've had my HTPC for 2 years now and finally decided to find something else instead of the awful XP MCE interface. I should have done this years ago, truly a great piece of software.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
I have the silver antec fusion case as well. I just took out the lcd screen and mounted the microsoft media center IR reciever behind it. The LCD doesn't add much and the IR reciever isn't 100% media center compatible.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Can anyone here recommend a good solution for using iTunes with my HTPC? Right now I use media portal to navigate everything nicely from the couch, and it would be nice to be able to use itunes as well. "Using iTunes" to me means browsing/searching library, using my roommate's shared itunes libraries, playing playlists made in itunes. In a perfect world, front row for XP is what I'd want.

Right now I just use remote desktop to control itunes but that is too much for my roommates to grasp and i'd like them to be able to use this too.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

Is there a USB wired device that has a keyboard and mouse combined into a single unit?

I found some wireless options that are nearly $200, but I'd like something cheaper and wired so I could make use of my HTPC's front USB ports.

Anyone know of anything?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Explosm posted:

Is there a USB wired device that has a keyboard and mouse combined into a single unit?

I found some wireless options that are nearly $200, but I'd like something cheaper and wired so I could make use of my HTPC's front USB ports.

Anyone know of anything?

Here's what Newegg has for wired keyboard/mouse combos. You can see some have the pointing device built in.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

dfn_doe posted:

* I finally got sick of using my 360 as a hd-dvd/dvd player and bought the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra yesterday afternoon. It totally sucked having to pay full retail for a type of product which I would normally just get as a bundled with some hardware. The playback video quality is SOOOOO much better than with the 360 though, which really made it an easy decision to pay for it. It doesn't exactly make the decision any harder once you see that cost of the hd/bluray dual format drives that include an OEM copy of PDVD Ultra ;)

What is wrong with the 360 as a DVD player? Is the picture quality poor?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I am expecting the last of my HTPC components in the mail soon. Can someone critique my setup or suggest ways of putting it together?

PC: Shuttle SG33G5M
random review
(with 2.4g Q6600 quadcore, 4Gigs of ram, but no vid card yet)
Sound: Pioneer 600watt
SA Thread
Projector: Benq W500
Projector central review

At this point I am going to run the HDMI from the Shuttle into the projector and use the optical audio out from the Shuttle to go right into the Pioneer. The shuttle has a HD DVDrom so the HDMI should work fine for playback. Will a HD DVD play through the VGA port? This part confuses me.
I am expecting a Lite-On DVD player in the mail but it is an older model and I don't think it has HDMI.

VVV I think you can buy a HD DVD player for your Xbox. It will set you back a little over 150$ I think. VVVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 7, 2008

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

pkd88 posted:

What is wrong with the 360 as a DVD player? Is the picture quality poor?

The 360 has about the poorest DVD playback PQ of any device you are likely to find in your living room. HQV rating is 20 or 25, vs about 30-35 for the average 50 dollar walmart player and 95+ with powerdvd and any reasonably modern gpu out of possible 130 point scale.

edit: Here's some comparison pictures

dfn_doe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 7, 2008

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks to whoever mentioned "Media Portal". I used to use "Meedio" but I guess it got bought by Yahoo. Going to try Media Portal as a suitable replacement. Not a MCE fan and not ballsy enough to learn linux just for MythTV.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

sigma 6 posted:

I am expecting the last of my HTPC components in the mail soon. Can someone critique my setup or suggest ways of putting it together?

PC: Shuttle SG33G5M
random review
(with 2.4g Q6600 quadcore, 4Gigs of ram, but no vid card yet)
Sound: Pioneer 600watt
SA Thread
Projector: Benq W500
Projector central review

Wow, thanks for bringing this model to my attention! I was looking for a smaller case than the fusion and this one will fit nicely into my media center. Couple of questions, though: will the IR receiver on this shuttle work with my Harmony remote? I assume so with the included remote and Logitech's huge library of devices. Also, will the onboard graphics support any decent amount of gaming? I would guess not and will probably end up grabbing an 8600 for my needs. And one more thing...if I do put in a 8600 video card, I won't be able to pipe out video and audio through the HDMI port on the mobo, correct?

infix
Dec 1, 2003

Oh man, look at my probe!
Looking to put together a budget HTPC for the new apartment. We're hooking up to a 37" Toshiba Regza (720p). I've already got 2 500gb external USB 2.0 hard drives full of media and will probably get some more external storage eventually, so looking to put the smallest hard drive possible into the machine itself (just for OS and apps). We have an HD DVR and are unlikely to bother with TV capture on the HTPC. I think the only special requirement (really just a nonbinding preference), is that I have a nice 21" samsung LCD monitor that I used to use with my desktop (which I didn't bring with me to the new place, it's pretty defunct anyway), so ideally I would like to have this monitor set up in my room plugged into the HTPC in the (adjacent) living room. This could easily be accomplished with a 15' DVI or VGA cord. But it does mean that I probably want to be able to have HDMI out to the TV and DVI or VGA out to the monitor simultaneously.

Here's what I've put together so far:

Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC700BA
PSU: Logisys PS480D "480W" (300W)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane (bundle from Mwave)
RAM: 2 x Crucial 1GB DDR2 667 (bundle from Mwave)
Hard drive: Seagate 80GB SATA300 7200rpm
DVD: Lite-On lh-20a1p
Keyboard: Either Adesso Wireless Rf Mini Multimedia Keyboard with Trackball or nMEDIAPC MCEKB with trackball

This build comes out to $373.48 before shipping. Given that we're trying to make this as cheap as possible, is it dumb not to also get a separate graphics card? Does anyone have any substitutions or ideas on better deals? Should I just go ahead and order this already?

Also I know basically nothing about what software to run on an HTPC as this will be the first one I've built. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion, but I'd appreciate suggestions on OS and/or Media Management applications. The external hard drives are Buffalo Drivestation 500gbs (which I got for $80 each at Fry's on Black Friday :patriot::fap: ) so whatever it is will have to be compatible with those (I doubt that will be a problem). I'm willing to put some effort into learning Linux if there's a compelling argument to go that route over a Windows based system. We are definitely looking for something easy to use and intuitive though.

I really appreciate any insight and advice you guys can offer.

infix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 8, 2008

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

SnatchRabbit posted:

And one more thing...if I do put in a 8600 video card, I won't be able to pipe out video and audio through the HDMI port on the mobo, correct?

If the video card has a s/pdif header on it, you should be able to passthrough the s/pdif signal from the mobo on-board sound into the hdmi feed on the video card, and then just run everything through the hdmi output on the video card

I know my video card does this (nvidia 7600, MSI brand)

If not, you should be able to run video out of the video card through HDMI, and then run a separate coax or optical s/pdif from the mobo

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

At this point I am going to run the HDMI from the Shuttle into the projector and use the optical audio out from the Shuttle to go right into the Pioneer. The shuttle has a HD DVDrom so the HDMI should work fine for playback. Will a HD DVD play through the VGA port? This part confuses me.

What are you planning on using for software for HDDVD playback? If the application is HDCP compliant, and you have HDMI or DVI-D output on your video card, you should theoretically be good to go by running straight from the video card to your TV. I believe the software that is bundled with drives like PowerDVD fall into this category but I would google it just to be sure

Regular DVD playback should be no sweat via HDMI/DVI/VGA/Composite/whatever as it's not subject to the same HDCP protections

edit: sorry, in this case video card would mean on-board video for the mobo but the principle is the same

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Wow, thanks for bringing this model to my attention! I was looking for a smaller case than the fusion and this one will fit nicely into my media center. Couple of questions, though: will the IR receiver on this shuttle work with my Harmony remote? I assume so with the included remote and Logitech's huge library of devices. Also, will the onboard graphics support any decent amount of gaming? I would guess not and will probably end up grabbing an 8600 for my needs. And one more thing...if I do put in a 8600 video card, I won't be able to pipe out video and audio through the HDMI port on the mobo, correct?

You're going to want a discrete video card with HDMI. Although the onboard intel chipset CAN output HDMI, that is about all it can do (and just barely that - with the newest drivers). I would not use it for any 3d apps or gaming.
I plan on getting a Nvidia card with HDMI for just this reason. I called the shuttle rep and he said it would take up to a 8600 with an upgraded powersupply. That is - you need to buy a 300watt PSU to replace the 250watt in there. I especially need to do this since I am planning on running a Q6600 (2.4gig quadcore). One last thing:
Whichever card you choose, make sure it will only fill one slot. Dual slot cards will not work. Also - try to pick a quiet one (obviously).
LMK which one you pick.

EDIT: I bought an Asus HD DVDrom for 150$ . . . um . . . hadn't considered software outside of PowerDVD. I take it VLC doesn't play HD? ( ;-) I kid . . . sort of).

EDIT2: I am going to be running WinXP 64 and possibly using Media Portal as my frontend. Does anyone have any problems running Media Portal with WinXP 64?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 8, 2008

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

sigma 6 posted:

Thanks to whoever mentioned "Media Portal". I used to use "Meedio" but I guess it got bought by Yahoo. Going to try Media Portal as a suitable replacement. Not a MCE fan and not ballsy enough to learn linux just for MythTV.

I hate it when I read this. :( Meedio's IP was bought by Yahoo, and they promptly released a new version and it hasn't been seen since. Meanwhile, some people, like myself, still use Meedio every day and love it, and there's a lot of really cool stuff you can do with it. Media Portal is great, but lacks a lot of the neat stuff Meedio has (although it does have a nicer looking interface with the animations and what not). MeediOS is a brand-new software product (open source) that is taking the core foundation of Meedio and running with it. Not finished yet, but people are working on it.

I'm ordering new parts for my HTPC! Are there any guides out there for post-processing normal divx/xvid movies to make them look better? I think I've read that it is possible, but I'm not sure about how to go about it at all.

And can you use a HTPC to upscale DVDs like a lot of the stand alone players are doing nowadays?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ Good to hear this! I dropped it for a long while but maybe I will try it out again. My brother gave me Meedio as a x-mas gift a couple of years ago. I used to use it when it was MyHTPC. Good stuff.
I don't know of anyway to upscale or clean up divx but that is a good question.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

sigma 6 posted:

You're going to want a discrete video card with HDMI. Although the onboard intel chipset CAN output HDMI, that is about all it can do (and just barely that - with the newest drivers). I would not use it for any 3d apps or gaming.
I plan on getting a Nvidia card with HDMI for just this reason. I called the shuttle rep and he said it would take up to a 8600 with an upgraded powersupply. That is - you need to buy a 300watt PSU to replace the 250watt in there. I especially need to do this since I am planning on running a Q6600 (2.4gig quadcore). One last thing:
Whichever card you choose, make sure it will only fill one slot. Dual slot cards will not work. Also - try to pick a quiet one (obviously).
LMK which one you pick.

See, this confuses me. So when you say "a video card with HDMI" do you mean one with a DVI output that I can use with a DVI->HDMI converter, or a video card that has a native HDMI? I haven't seen any 8600's with HDMI, or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

edit: I'm an idiot

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 8, 2008

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

quote:

HDMI outputs are still not very common on PC graphics cards and thus HDCP is supported over DVI on each card. Coupled with an HDCP compliant monitor, any of these 8800s will be able to play full resolution HD-DVD or Blu-ray movies over a digital connection where HDCP is required.

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=131848

Of course those are all dual slot. I think as long as it sez "HDCP" compliant, you should be able to run the video out through the VGA, component or DVI->HDMI. Though I am not sure about the VGA part.

Not sure how many cards actually have that HDMI port on them, though I would be curious to find out.

Here is the graphics card support list:
http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PI=873

This PASSIVELY COOLED one appears to be supported but takes up two spots:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121077R

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 8, 2008

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Not sure how many cards actually have that HDMI port on them, though I would be curious to find out.

About five, according to New Egg

I don't get the point of it, since it obviously wouldn't send sound through HDMI, being a video card right?

Slap Happy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 8, 2008

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Explosm posted:

About five, according to New Egg

I don't get the point of it, since it obviously wouldn't send sound through HDMI, being a video card right?

It appears that some of the cards have a SPDIF in to pass the audio from your sound card through the HDMI.

TPS Report
Jul 22, 2003

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays

n0tqu1tesane posted:

It appears that some of the cards have a SPDIF in to pass the audio from your sound card through the HDMI.

I can't remember which card I got a couple months ago, but it was a NVIDIA that was supposed to do the hd stuff on the card. It has a HDMI output and SPDIF. It runs sound through it just fine.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes:

I've noticed some serious stuttering on cable TV whenever I bring up the Vista MC overlayed menu. There's NO stuttering on DVDs. This leads me to believe it's a poor TV tuner card (it's this one), but if that's the case why does it only stutter when there's a menu up? And if it's the video card or CPU then why are DVDs beautiful and smooth, even with menus?

I don't "get" my HTPC.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Explosm posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes:

I've noticed some serious stuttering on cable TV whenever I bring up the Vista MC overlayed menu. There's NO stuttering on DVDs. This leads me to believe it's a poor TV tuner card (it's this one), but if that's the case why does it only stutter when there's a menu up? And if it's the video card or CPU then why are DVDs beautiful and smooth, even with menus?

I don't "get" my HTPC.

What does your CPU and memory usage look like when the stuttering happens? If I had to guess I'd say your CPU is pegging at 100% and it can't keep up. I'm not familiar with vista media center so I don't know if you can control the settings on the menus?

It probably doesn't happen on DVD menus because they are part of the DVD rather than something that is being overlaid by vista. If it's some kind of fancy translucent GL effect that its doing in the menu, maybe it's not properly utilizing the video card and is trying to do it all in the CPU instead?

^^^ everything above is pure speculation. Maybe someone who actually knows VMC could give a better answer

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ Try using "process explorer" to figure it out.
http://www.download.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10771453.html

Re: HDMI with SPDIF pass through. I knew a few of them could do this but I wasn't sure which ones, or if they will be making more in the future. It seems to me, if the same video quality can be had from component or DVI to HDMI . . . all "HDCP" enabled cards should do this.

I am looking for a relatively high-clocked 8800 / passive cooling / single slot / HDMI with SPDIF pass through . . . any suggestions??

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 8, 2008

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

It probably doesn't happen on DVD menus because they are part of the DVD rather than something that is being overlaid by vista.

No, I'm referring to fancy the Vista menus. On DVDs they're seamless but not on TV. If it were a video card problem it would stutter on both types of media right? Or is TV really that CPU intensive (I thought most of it took place on the tuner card)

sigma 6 posted:

I am looking for a relatively high-clocked 8800 / passive cooling / single slot / HDMI with SPDIF pass through . . . any suggestions??

Doesn't exist as far as I can tell. I looked around a bit for that exact card with HDMI.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Re: TV tuner cards and Vista TV issue.

Depends if it is software encoding or hardware. MPG hardware encoding cards are much better. That is why Hauppage is recommended. Because there is a MPG encoding/decoding chip onboard. If your tuner is software encoded, this might explain the problem, especially on a slower system.

What difference does the "HDCP" compliance make if I am just running a DVI->HDMI adapter and then just run the SPDIF out from the soundcard to the receiver??

Will this not work?

Explosm posted:

Doesn't exist as far as I can tell. I looked around a bit for that exact card with HDMI.

That sucks. I wonder if they will make one in the future.
I would almost go with this one but I am not sure it would fit in the shuttle and ATI has had flaky drivers over the years:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127298
Also - I plan to use it for 3d apps, which Nvidia excels at.

EDIT: Blu ray vs HD DVD hubbub. I thought the pr0n industry chose HD-DVD (and so dictates the rest of the video industry) . . . ?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 8, 2008

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Explosm posted:

No, I'm referring to fancy the Vista menus. On DVDs they're seamless but not on TV. If it were a video card problem it would stutter on both types of media right? Or is TV really that CPU intensive (I thought most of it took place on the tuner card)

sigma 6 posted:

Re: TV tuner cards and Vista TV issue.

Depends if it is software encoding or hardware. MPG hardware encoding cards are much better. That is why Hauppage is recommended. Because there is a MPG encoding/decoding chip onboard. If your tuner is software encoded, this might explain the problem, especially on a slower system.

Encoding only matters if you are doing analog capture. For digital/HD, the data is already digitally encoded as mpeg2, so all you are doing is writing the digital transport stream to disk, so the cpu utilization is actually pretty low. This would be true for QAM as well as ATSC. You'd be more likely to be bound by HDD throughput than CPU use.

What kind of TV service do you have?

quote:

What difference does the "HDCP" compliance make if I am just running a DVI->HDMI adapter and then just run the SPDIF out from the soundcard to the receiver??

It doesn't. HDCP compliance is just what allows your computer to talk to your TV over HDMI or DVI. If trust cannot be established, then the TV will refuse to display the signal. Check the video card specs, I believe it will state whether it is HDCP compliant.

Sending the S/PDIF separately to a receiver is probably what you want to do anyways if you aren't gonna pass through your audio signal out from the tv to the receiver.

quote:

EDIT: Blu ray vs HD DVD hubbub. I thought the pr0n industry chose HD-DVD (and so dictates the rest of the video industry) . . . ?

25 years ago, when the concept of home video playback was unheard of, yes. These days, its the big studios who are releasing all the content that will dictate the winner of the format war (or, the stalemate that will force dual-format players to become the standard)

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

What kind of TV service do you have?

Comcast. The weird thing is it works fine with a cable box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Explosm posted:

Comcast. The weird thing is it works fine with a cable box.

Digital or analog? Does this behavior happen with HD or SD content or both?