Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sick_Nukes posted:

So Ive been checking out helmets lately. I ordered a Shark RSI which fits great except for the cheek pads which crush my face and make me end up biting my cheeks. Anybody know if it's possible to swap in some smaller ones that will give me some more room and were I could get them? I tried e-mailing Shark but they haven't responded to me. I guess if I can't get them I'll RMA it and go with the Shoei RF-1000 I have coming since they have smaller pads available on their website. The Shark just looks so much cooler and fits the rest of my head perfectly.

My HJC did this to me when I first bought it, but after getting a few hours of wear in the pads broke in and don't bother me anymore. Still snug, but not uncomfortable. If you like the helmet otherwise, give it time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I don't really ride that much, but I think I can help AI Biekz a bit. I'm a helmet technician at an offroad motorsport communcations company, and I have cheap access to parts for a lot of helmets. Head/cheek pads, replacement hardware, vents, face shields, intercom setups, I can probably get it, and possibly at cost or even free if we have it from a damaged helmet or whatever. Throw me a PM or whatever and I can see what I can do. I have a bunch of Shoei parts, and some HJC stuff, although most of it is SA motorsport rated, I can get probably any part of any helmet manuf. that isn't some crazy boutique dealie.

I have a shitload of front vents for Shoei RF1000s, if you ask for one I'll send you ten.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 22, 2007

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
Just ordered an Airoh TR1 (as reviewed here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/airoh-tr1/) in blue. I'll post a full report when it gets here tommorrow or saturday. I'm so excited!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ That's a nice looking helmet and I really like the ratcheting chin strap. I'd kill for a Roof Boxer though.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

bung posted:

^^^ That's a nice looking helmet and I really like the ratcheting chin strap. I'd kill for a Roof Boxer though.

I think my bank account would kill itself if I got a Roof Boxer.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I've been using a Pinlock visor insert (review) on my Shoei X-11 for about two months now and I have to report that it loving rocks. There is no possible way you can fog up the visor with the Pinlock insert in place. Every once in a while I'll look up and notice that the area surrounding the insert is heavily fogged, and grin remembering how much it sucked to be riding blind in the mornings before I bought this thing. I have tried about every spray-on, wipe-on, and rub-on anti-fog product I could find in the past and none of them worked worth a drat. The Pinlock insert works.

The primary downside of Pinlock is that at night, the double-walled visor created by the insert tends to refract the light of headlights making these sort of streaky reflections inside the visor. I don't think it's distracting enough to be dangerous (I learned to ignore them after about two days), but there are large warnings on the insert and all the packaging that say "FOR DAYTIME USE ONLY" for just that reason. Many times I've had to ride in a rainstorm with the choice of either riding blind with a horribly fogged visor, or cracking the visor and getting that blinding rain in my eyes, and I can tell you that a few streaky reflections are FAR preferable to either.

The insert is made of a very flexible plastic, and though it feels pretty fragile I've washed it several times with just my fingers and some dish soap without any ill effect. The installation and removal is easy enough to do, but you couldn't swap inserts at a gas station like you could with visors. This means if you currently swap tinted and clear visors on the road, you would now have to swap the entire visor and the Pinlock insert as an assembly, which means spending significantly more money. Pinlock makes several colors of visor (like yellow and tinted) in addition to the clear insert, but I only have a clear one.

I bought a new visor with the pins preinstalled ($36) and the insert ($27) from NewEnough, and it's the best motorcycle money I've spent so far. If you have a Shoei or HJC helmet (or are willing to drill holes in your visor), you really owe it to yourself to try this out.

Now if I could just find something that would keep sunglasses from fogging.

abunchofnumbers
May 31, 2007
I wear an underarmor facemask under my helmet now for fogging, it's not as good as the pinlock system but the only time I get any fog is at long red lights. Also it covers your neck and keeps air from going down the neck hole in your jacket. It's great for cold riding and helps a tad with noise too.

Just another option for anti fogging.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

OptimusRhyme posted:

Has anybody had any experience with Scorpion's All-In Jacket? It's bordering on too gaudy for my tastes, tho I don't like plain jane black either, but what attracted me to it was the full-sleeve liner, 5-year warranty, and all the perforation accoutrements. It seems like it's a pretty good mix of everything I'd want in a jacket for varying conditions. Any word on overall quality?

I was wondering the same. It's on my short list of jackets. I especially like the belt loops for attaching them to my Draggin Jeans.

Another one I was looking at was the AlpineStar Dragster. I love the look, it reminds me of the older Simpson firesuits.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 4, 2008

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone had a custom jacket/suit made from Pilot USA?

I saw their ad in the back of Sport Rider, claiming custom jackets for $350. A couple friends and I thought about getting identical jackets made up, even though it might look kind of stupid.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jay_Zombie posted:

I was wondering the same. It's on my short list of jackets. I especially like the belt loops for attaching them to my Draggin Jeans.

Another one I was looking at was the AlpineStar Dragster. I love the look, it reminds me of the older Simpson firesuits.

Keep in mind that belt loop fasteners are not likely to keep the jacket joined to the jeans in an accident. The belt loops themselves will pull off pretty easily under crash forces.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

PlasticSun posted:

Keep in mind that belt loop fasteners are not likely to keep the jacket joined to the jeans in an accident. The belt loops themselves will pull off pretty easily under crash forces.

This is definitely true. I ripped the belt loop off my textile jacket bending over to pull my boots on. :(

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

:sigh:

You don't need gear to ride at PennState. I seriously see this guy ride around like this.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I used to see guys riding their AWESOME GIXXERS AND BUSAS around USF Tampa wearing exactly the same thing, except their flip flops were Corona branded. :/

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I bet this guy is thinking about wearing a modular in the future.

This was found in PYF

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
This may be off topic, but how in the hell do you upshift in sandals. I've ridden in tennis shoes before and shifting was loving horrible after using riding boots only.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Trintintin posted:

This may be off topic, but how in the hell do you upshift in sandals. I've ridden in tennis shoes before and shifting was loving horrible after using riding boots only.

Toes of Steel

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Trintintin posted:

if I had to guess I'd say hook your big toe over the shifter and use the flop to lift the lever.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
don't think that would work on mine, the shifter is pretty stiff, and all the rubber is worn off so it's just an aluminum rod. not PennState student friendly.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Well what I would do if I HAD to, would be to use the rubber part in the middle (what separates the big toe from the others), and have that rubber make contact with the shifter, and push up via that part with the big toe. I imagine it would hurt just the same though. :/

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
Alright here's my quickie report of my brand spanking new Airoh TR1. It's loving mint! I love it. For one, it weighs hardly anything, and is really well balanced, so it honestly feels like it's part of my head. I took the reccomendation of the sight and bought a large (59-60cm) instead of my usual medium (57-58cm) and they were dead on, fits me perfectly.

It looks fantastic, and the internal sunshade is the dogs bollocks, really easy to use, should be standard with all helmets I reckon.

The strap is great as well, because it has velcro to hold the pad in place whilst you do up the main ratchet. The ratchet is also great and can be operated with both gloves on, which is a big plus for me, simply because I always thought it looked cooler to put your helmet on last before riding off :c00lbert:.

The only downside of it is that because of how it has ear indents which make it very comfortable to wear whilst riding, it can hurt my ears a bit to take off. If anybody knows of a way to minimise this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Overall, despite that sole caveat, I have to say I loving love this helmet, best one I've ever owned in my opinion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Trintintin posted:

Just ride around in 1st. Liters can hit 100 in 1st gear these days, why shift?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Crash report!

Details of the incident are in the megathread, here's how my gear did:

Tour Master Coaster II Leather Jacket

Leather wore right through on the shoulder, I guess that's where I hit ground first. Also, the seem over the wrist area busted. Would not buy again.

Icon Barrier Gloves

Worked ok, the plastic protectors absorbed most of the scraping. The pinky did fall apart and I got a little rash on that finger. For my next set(s) of gloves I'll be getting a more dedicated summer and winter set (these aren't ventilated enough for hot weather, and not insulated enough for cold), so I won't buy these again.

Lucky Brand L/R Bootleg jeans

Did not provide much protection, my right knee got chewed up pretty bad. Would buy again, because they were my favorite jeans. Would not crash in them again.

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.
I think the jacket held up okay. Leather is leather and it's meant to be disposable in the case of a serious crash. I would keep wearing it after replacing the pad and patching the holes.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I was looking at putting a pad/armor in the back of my jacket (has a pocket)--do I need to match brands to the jacket or is there a better way? What about some sort of trim-to-fit foam? I don't want to "cheap out" on protection but at the same time I have an inkling that as long as we are talking about impact foam there needn't be a price premium on cutting it into a fancy shape.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

ChiliMac posted:

I was looking at putting a pad/armor in the back of my jacket (has a pocket)--do I need to match brands to the jacket or is there a better way? What about some sort of trim-to-fit foam? I don't want to "cheap out" on protection but at the same time I have an inkling that as long as we are talking about impact foam there needn't be a price premium on cutting it into a fancy shape.

I just read about this in WebBikeWorld's Top 10 Gear, might be worth a look:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/furygan/fighter-jacket/

the optional back protector, not the jacket--scroll down a little bit. It's CE level 2, looks like it has a few different sizes to fit whatever jacket, and it's squishy but stiffens when something hits it. For ~$35, I doubt you'll find a cheaper one that's a CE level 2. Looks like it might fit my jacket too--I'm thinking about trying it to replace the cheap foam in mine.

Waffle Zone
Mar 17, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a bit of money sitting around doing me no good so I put half down to special order some Sidi Vertigo Corsas. I couldn't resist them; they look like they're made of Venom from Spider-Man.

They're 395$ but I'm getting 20% off at cyclegear for taking the MSF. Please tell me I did the right thing :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Waffle Zone posted:

I had a bit of money sitting around doing me no good so I put half down to special order some Sidi Vertigo Corsas. I couldn't resist them; they look like they're made of Venom from Spider-Man.

They're 395$ but I'm getting 20% off at cyclegear for taking the MSF. Please tell me I did the right thing :(

Nice boots. I don't like overly flashy boots with too many external hinges, because i got one caught on the heelguard of a friend's CBR onces, causing a hell of a moment. On your own bike, though, typically it's not an issue.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I have Vertigo Airs for nice weather tw1sti3z riding and future track use. Awesome boots, you won't be disappointed. Lots of protection and they feel more at home on the bike than street boots, but don't try walking around in them all day.

Dean!
Jan 31, 2005

Can anyone recommend some noise canceling earphones? Here is what I am looking at so far:

* Etymotic Research Isolator Earphones - $90

* Sennheiser CX300 - $60

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do you know of something better?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Dean! posted:

Can anyone recommend some noise canceling earphones? Here is what I am looking at so far:

* Sennheiser CX300 - $60

The Sure e2cs I had were nice but I perfer close fitting helmets and the larger earpiece made it painful to take my helmet on and off after multi-hour rides. The cord on the Sures is thicker which I think helps prevent getting wierd noise artifacts from the cord whipping around or rubbing under jacket. I switched to the ER-6s and the ear piece is smaller but you need to check them somewhat often as they do collect wax which can damage the speaker. After having ridden ~25K with the headphones I'm switching to the helmet speakers. All of the in ear headphones I've used give me a massive ear ache if I use them for all day rides. While both worked well I'm moving to the helmet speakers so I can still use ear plugs and be comfortable all day rather than have a hard speaker body in my ear.

Xanie really loves his EAR monitors with the custom molds, but they are quite expensive.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

PlasticSun posted:

The Sure e2cs I had were nice but I perfer close fitting helmets and the larger earpiece made it painful to take my helmet on and off after multi-hour rides.

Xanie really loves his EAR monitors with the custom molds, but they are quite expensive.

I'll second what PlasticSun said about the E2Cs. I also have a set of EAR Inc custom molded monitors but the right side driver has stopped working. The EARs are very comfortable but pricey.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I've used some (really cheap) canalphones and it really seems like the priority should just be small size and comfort. I'd go for the Sennheisers, or j-JAYS or something. Head-fi.org is great for reading about headphones.

It just seems that sound quality wouldn't be the most important factor here, so you can probably get by with not spending much.

Waffle Zone
Mar 17, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I finished off my gear ensemble today

Scorpion EXO-700 red
Dainese gloves black
Alpinestars Stage Leather Jacket black
Alpinestars Bat Leather Pants black
Used (4-5 years) Alpinestars SMX boots black

I wish my jacket didn't have like 4 alpinestar logos on it but other than that I really like how I look in all the gear. I'm hoping to replace the boots with Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots because these ones are old enough that the logos have all turned to this awful yellow piss color.

I looked at putting a Dainese Wave G back protector in the jacket but my friend at cyclegear told me it was too small for the jacket and would probably swim around inside.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dean! posted:

* Sennheiser CX300 - $60

I have a set of the Etymotics. They're great...I'm using the non-foam plugs at the moment, but the foam ones are definantly the best for distance/anti-wind noise.

Only downside is the foam ones tend to seperate from the mounting part after a few months. The rubber ones don't have this problem but fit a little differently.

I like them because the response on them is nuts...I run my iPod in at around 25% volume and that's more than enough. Took a few weeks for my ears to adjust to them, as you shove them WAY in your ear so they seal correctly. I picked up mine for 80$ off of ebay, i believe.

They're also tiny, and end up almost entirely shoved into your ear, so putting on your helmet is really easy, just don't snag the wires. I've ridden with mine for around 40,000 miles without any issues. iPod in the jacket pocket, and run the cord under my jacket with just the individual wires coming out. They're just about the right length so that they don't flap up against your neck as you ride.

They block around 70% of the wind noise. I can still hear emergency vehicles, horns, etc, but the music is always present at a reasonable volume. I also don't get that annoying ringing in my ears after long trips anymore.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Fuuuuck. I can't decide on either Oxtar TCS Replicas or shell out another $100 for Alpinestars SMX Plus

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

iroc_dis posted:

Fuuuuck. I can't decide on either Oxtar TCS Replicas or shell out another $100 for Alpinestars SMX Plus

I can't say about the Alpinestars, but I have a pair of Oxtar TCS replicas (bought them with the helmet above) and they are the dogs bollocks. I honestly love them, really comfortable, even after long hours. I've ridden to work, worked for about 4 hours, and back in them, as well as a couple of longer rides, and I have no complaints about them.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Will a shield from a Medium helmet fit a Large helmet? Thinking of getting a mirrored shield for my RF-1000, but I'm way to cheap to shell out the $60+ they cost new, and they come up on craigslist fairly often.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

Zenaida posted:

Will a shield from a Medium helmet fit a Large helmet? Thinking of getting a mirrored shield for my RF-1000, but I'm way to cheap to shell out the $60+ they cost new, and they come up on craigslist fairly often.

Shields don't come in different sizes as long as it's made for a a RF-1000 it will fit

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dean! posted:

* Sennheiser CX300 - $60

I have a set of CX300s and they work fine for ipod use under a helmet as they sit very flush with the ear. They block outside sound rather well and act almost like an earplug. My only caveat, and it has as much to do with head/ear shape as helmet snugness, is that they will pull out of my ear a bit even if I'm very careful when putting my helmet on (Shoei RF-900). I fixed this by just putting some athletic tape over my ear with them in and it didn't affect comfort at all (until I had to pull the tape off ;)). I prefer the sound quality to the base model Shure (e2c?), the bass is better represented whereas I found the Shures to be to bassy/midbassy and sounded "boosted" while the Sennheisers sounded more natural.
I haven't used the Etymotic ones but they look pretty small, which is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

PlasticSun posted:

The Sure e2cs I had were nice but I perfer close fitting helmets and the larger earpiece made it painful to take my helmet on and off after multi-hour rides. The cord on the Sures is thicker which I think helps prevent getting wierd noise artifacts from the cord whipping around or rubbing under jacket. I switched to the ER-6s and the ear piece is smaller but you need to check them somewhat often as they do collect wax which can damage the speaker. After having ridden ~25K with the headphones I'm switching to the helmet speakers. All of the in ear headphones I've used give me a massive ear ache if I use them for all day rides. While both worked well I'm moving to the helmet speakers so I can still use ear plugs and be comfortable all day rather than have a hard speaker body in my ear.

I have a pair of Shure e2c's and they've worked great for me, and I never had any problems with my helmet. My Shoei X-11 has a bit more room around the ears than most other helmets I've tried seem to have though, so that might be why. They're a pain when you take your helmet off, but if you've put them in right than it usually isn't too bad. I don't get a head ache from having them in, but sometimes because there's such a seal between them in your ear it's just uncomfortable -- like you want to equalize your ears or get the poo poo out of them for a second. I imagine that would happen with any close fitting earplugs though, and I don't use the foam inserts, I use the rubber ones which may make them feel weirder with ear wax and all.