Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picaresque
Dec 1, 2006
I've been trying to pick up my old voracious reading habits again and decided to start with the wider-known literature before expanding outward. Over the past two weeks, I've finally finished the books I was halfway through 1984 (It took way too long for me to convince myself to finish the last quarter of the book), Catch-22 (I kept reading it a few chapters at a time at the beginning to gain the full appreciation for Heller's diction and then couldn't read the last half of the book fast enough) and One Hundred Years of Solitude (which is one of those books that quietly and subtly changes you, so I'm very glad I finished it and subsequently reread the last paragraph four times).

I also could not stop laughing throughout Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead which was absolutely amazing, especially when you inflect upon the layers and layers of significance from various levels of perception afterwards and realize the subtleties permeating throughout.

I'm about fifty pages from finishing Lolita and will probably start The Things They Carried or Slaughterhouse Five next, both resulting from the veritable treasure trove of books that Christmas brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The Galactic Pot Healer by Philip K. Dick.

This had Philip K. Dick all over it, but it wasn't the best Philip K. Dick I've read. I think my next Dick work will be something more popular.

Steroid Nation by Shaun Assael

I was much more interested in the use of steroids for aesthetic purposes than the problems inherent in trying to regulate drug use in professional sports. The book seemed to go back and forth between both, but spent much more time dealing with professional sports. And man oh man, Shaun Assael does not like Bill Phillips.

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Not a lot to say. I liked it. I've "read" it, but I'm certainly not finished with it. I enjoyed how Quentin is seemingly the smartest, but his section becomes, at the end, the most incomprehensible, whereas with Benjy the lack of temporal signifiers and such stays constant, and you "get used" to it as the section moves on.

I was told by a professor that I particularly respect to pay more attention to Jason - that he's more complicated than he seems. He's not just a prick. Oddly, I think I picked up on that, but I can't tell if I was simply very influenced by my prof's recommendation. I mean, Jason steals funds, he's obsessed with material gain - he is, simply, a prick. And yet he does have pretty drat good reason to be bitter. I'm not sure what kind of person I'd be in his position. I wasn't sure how to react when he slapped Luster, which sums up my reaction to the character overall pretty succinctly.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 7, 2008

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

One I just finished today that I REALLY enjoyed was Utopias Elsewhere by Anthony Daniels. It's a travel book written by a brit who decided to travel to the 'backwaters' communist countries as communism started to crumble. He visits Romania, Cuba, Albania, Vietnam and North Korea, sharing his experiences and what he can glean from the people living there. I think the weirdest moment in the book was his description of Department Store No 1 in North Korea, staffed with fake shoppers to show how prosperous the NK regime was and how well the people had it... great book, a little more dry than PJ's "Holidays in Hell" which I've seen it compared to, but very very enjoyable.

I believe this fellow also uses the pen name Theodore Dalrymple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Dalrymple

..although I can't see that title in the list of his books on wiki. I've read several of his politics/ state of the society books which appeal to my inner outraged retired colonel. He's written several other travel books as well, I'll think i'll pop into the library to see if they have any.

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-

Clayton Bigsby posted:

A couple of days ago: Waiting by Ha Jin. I got this one as a gift a couple of years ago and decided to finally pick it up. It was a relatively decent read; a little dry and not much really happened but it was an enjoyable slice of somebody's life nonetheless.
Ha Jin is one of my favorites authors, and this can be said about all of his books except War Trash. His characters are very subdued because of the culture he is depicting. People don't make grand changes, they mostly just get by. Probably his most exciting character is the rebel painter in In The Pond, and even at the end he takes his small victory and is happy with it.

His new book is next up for me.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
I just finished John Steinbeck's East of Eden. Believe it or not, this is actually the first of his books that I've read (I somehow dodged the others throughout high school), so I can't compare against the others, but if they're at least as good as this I will read them happily.

The book was quite moving and stuck to the theme (it's a reading of the Cain and Abel story) quite well--Steinbeck has quite a way with descriptions and that was a big plus, and all of the characters were deeply fleshed-out (as they ought to be in such a long book) and I cared for them all. Recommended.

Next up is Kerouac's Dharma Bums.

deptstoremook fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 7, 2008

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

YancyDCjew posted:

Ha Jin is one of my favorites authors, and this can be said about all of his books except War Trash.

How was War Trash? I have it sitting here (got it as a gift with Waiting), but haven't picked it up yet. Got re-reads of 1984 and Catch-22 lined up next! :)

BeigeJacket: many thanks for the tip; I'll be looking for that name too...

Haydee
Apr 13, 2007
So, I'm new to the world of literature. In the past I would only read if it was required in school. That all changed when I decided out of nowhere to read some Sci-fi. I did some research and decide to start with the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card then moved onto the original Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

I decided after that to broadened my horizon and explore other areas of literature.
So I lurked around this forum a while to see what would float my boat.
After a month or so(I'm a slow reader) this is what I've finished:
Slaughter-House Five by Kurt Vonnegut.
The style of writing and how the first chapter starts out really threw me off at first, but I really enjoyed it and was surprised how easy and fun it was to read. Overall, it made me feel better about my situation in life at this moment.
1984 by George Orwell.
I really liked it. Though, the beginning seem to be a little dry. I was finally glad when he did something exciting.

Now onto:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Don Quixote By Miguel De Cervantes
Hopefully I wont get overwhelmed with how old and long is it.

SAColorGuard
Dec 22, 2007
I LOVE my boyfriend.

killbomb posted:

This week I read:

Timequake by Vonnegut.

Even though I love Vonnegut I didn't go nuts over this novel. It admits that it's an amalgam of things Vonnegut wrote and reads like it.

explain to me some stories of Kafka

I've never read anything written by Kafka before so I decided to pick this up. I thought it, and the explanatory essays, were excellent. I'm going to move onto other short stories by Kafka.

The pilgrims progress by John Bunyan.

Christian allegory. It wasn't fun to read, but it's been mentioned in so many other novels I've read that I wanted to look at it because I had no idea what it was. Now I know. It was also mentioned in one of the explanatory essays in explain to me some stories of Kafka so I decided that I had to read it.

I've decided that next week I'm going to read (attempt to read) Palm sunday and Ovid's metamorphosis.

What version of Ovid's Metamorphosis are you planning to read? The translator can make a huge difference. Although I love Ovid all own his own, one of my favorite things to do is to combine mythology with contemporary works (I'm a huge contemporary fan!) If Metamorphosis by itself gets too stale for you, try reading other authors' take on it. Mary Zimmerman's play "Metamorphosis" is really well done and very entertaining!
Almost every author throughout literary history has written about mythology at some point, so even if you're not a fan of contemporary lit. you should be able to find one you like fairly easily. I personally recommend Louise Gluck's and Margaret Atwood's take on Eurydice and Orpheus, Ted Hughes' "Tales from Ovid" or Shakespeare's narrative poem "Venus and Adonis".
I'm also a big fan of Canongate's "The Myths" series. It takes contemporary writers (such as Atwood, Janet Winterson, Alexander McCall Smith, David Grossman, etc) to retell the myths is a new way. Not all are from Ovid, but they are fantastic, short, and easy reads. "The Helmet of Horror" by Victor Pelevin tells the story of Thesus and the Minotaur as a chat room thread and Margaret Atwood's "The Penelopiad" describes the Odyssey through Penelope's eyes.

Anyways, you should never get me in a discussion that involves myth. I get way too excited!

Don Oot
Oct 28, 2005

by Fragmaster
I just finished The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. It's a very dense novel, so I will try and give a brief synopsis.

It's the story of an Indian relic called the Moonstone (obviously) that goes missing after a young British noblewoman receives it in her will. Collins uses multiple narrators from different stations of Victorian society from servants to nobility to detectives in order to piece together the fate of The Moonstone. The different narrators have unique voices and personalities, and Collins is very forward-thinking in presenting the Indian characters as humanly as possible instead of relying on archetypes of noble savages and untrustworthy Orientals.

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How was War Trash? I have it sitting here (got it as a gift with Waiting), but haven't picked it up yet.
I thought it was excellent. Read it a while ago, but the main character and the other POWs with him are a fascinating bunch.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ripley Under Water (1992) By Patricia Highsmith - This fifth and last book of the Ripley series starts out on a hopeful note, literarily speaking. As the Ripley books increased in number, Highsmith had a tendency to meander too much about the quaint country life of Thomas Ripley and his many leisurely European vacations. Unlike the 100-page warm-up of the last book, Ripley Under Water starts with immediate tension; an American couple has been snooping into Ripley's affairs in France, with the husband of this couple most interested in taking Ripley down for his own pleasure. The smoking gun in this story is a corpse left under water in the second book, quite possibly the only evidence that could incriminate Ripley for any of his past deeds. The conflict in Under Water makes it an oddly-timed direct sequel to Ripley Under Ground--and odder still due to how rarely Highsmith used to mention events of past books throughout the Ripley series.

Sadly, the writing on the walls in The Boy Who Followed Ripley has become the actual text in Ripley Under Water; Highsmith's love for her own character makes his last adventure equally insufferable and improbable. Ripley is too perfect, too loved, and seemingly always at the right place at the right time. And much to my dismay as a fan of the Ripley series, he barely gets his hands dirty. Speaking of which, the disposal of this book's two antagonists is the most insulting "defeat" I've read since The Woman in White. To watch Highsmith's universe grant such dumb luck to Ripley only further proved his Mary Sue-hood. Just so I can explain how thoughtless the ending was, I'll present an analogy: Let's say we have a story where Character A is trying to defeat Character B. Character A's master plan is to ring Character B's doorbell and run away. Character A rings the doorbell, and when Character B gets up to go to the door, he trips over a footstool and dies. Ripley Under Water is this stupid.

This book is a sad end for the Ripley series (and Highsmith), but it doesn't detract from the other novels; the first is excellent, while the following two are very good. If you manage to get into the Ripliad, I advise you skip the last two books. You really won't be missing anything, unless you have a disappointment fetish.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Blindness, Jose Saramago

Whew, that was exhausting. Saramago loves absurdly lengthy run-on sentences and two or three page paragraphs, and that's what every single of its 326 pages contained. He also seems to despise quotation marks, there wasn't one pair in the whole book. Maybe I'm just old and tired, but I like to at least have the option of a comfortable pausing point somewhat frequently but this book gives them few and very far between so reading it feels like running a marathon. It's the literary equivalent of waterboarding.

Which is a shame, because the premise of a nationwide epidemic of "white" blindness and its consequences could have been riveting. But it did manage to transcend its atrocious formatting in points, the account of the first cases of the unusual phenomenon of a man's being struck blind in his car at a stoplight, the degredation and humiliation experienced in quarantine by some of the sufferers, and their escape from confinement after society had broken down to such an extent it couldn't keep the initial cases interred any longer and their exploration of that world outside after escaping.

It amazes me this won the Nobel prize, because for all the power of the story it really is just this side of unreadable.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I recently finished Time, Love, Memory by Jonathan Weiner, which was a pretty neat book. It talks about most of Seymour Benzer's time at Caltech and the discovery of two important circadian rhythm genes in Drosophila melanogaster (time and period, to be more exact). It was pretty good, often taking fairly complex methods in molecular biology and explaining them in plain English (so any well-read person with a basic knowledge of biology could read it and understand what was going on).

I'm also very close to finishing Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, but I'm probably going to read it again because I feel like I've missed something and the book doesn't make sense. I should probably pay more attention while reading it.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
Just finished Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. To say the least, it was loving crazy. A lot of it was very funny, and most of it was interesting, but quite a bit of it (particularly the thousandth description of young boys having sex with old men) made me want to throw my hands over my head and yell "Enough!". Overall, I liked it, and plan on checking out the Cronenberg film soon.

Currently reading All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, and I really like it. Also reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen for an English class. It's not without its charm, though I'd probably have put it down by now if not for it being required for my class.

Mohammeds Radio
Dec 8, 2007
Get up and dance! Get up and dance or I'll kill ya! And I got the means too!
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead By Crystal Zevon.

I'm a huge Warren Zevon fan (Just look at my forum name) and this book, a collection of testimonials from the people who Warren befriended, drove away, scared away, kept close and carried on a strange ride throughout his colorful life. The book covers his entire career, and all aspects, even the bad ones. If you like his music, or just like a good rock and roll story I recommend it completely. Some of the stories behind how the songs got written are hilarious and sometimes depressing. Zevon was truly a wounded soul and vented it on his career, and everyone around him.

For the full effect, when reading the last chapter, put on "Don't Let Us Get Sick".

Monosyllabicgoon
Aug 14, 2005
Farewell to Arms- I hadn't read it for a few years and was very interested in the character of Catherine Barkley this time around. I thought that, while she was very poorly written because Hemingway could only write about himself, she was still a more compelling character than most people give him credit for- she was what exemplified "courage" in that book, which is the quality most prized by Papa. She might be a really flat, poorly written character but at least he meant well. But god drat I had to just sit and stare at the wall after reading the ending... I think that last paragraph is one of the most powerful things written in the enlish language. Thousand-yard stare put into words.

Gonzo- Oral History of Hunter S. Thompson: Lots of laugh out loud stories about one of my heroes. But I didn't realize how incapacitated his creative mind was by his drug use- I didn't realize how basically useless of a person he was for the last 20 years of his life. Oh well. Cocaine turns your brain to cement, I knew that. It was still kind of lovely to read about- he changed the english language so much with his writing it is painful to think about what he might have written...oh well.

Coney Island of the Mind- Ferlinghetti- Eh. I think I'm growing out of the beats. It just seemed like Howl without any spine.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

LooseChanj posted:

Blindness, Jose Saramago

Whew, that was exhausting.

I felt the exact same way. The book should have ended when they escaped the asylum and left the cure to blindness up to interpretation. Having it just "go away" was aggravating.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

perceptual_set posted:

I felt the exact same way. The book should have ended when they escaped the asylum and left the cure to blindness up to interpretation. Having it just "go away" was aggravating.

I was thinking that's what the sequel was about. I even thought hmm, might be fun to read if it's a sequel. Until I realized everything he writes is bricktext. :bang:

BountyHunter
Dec 31, 2007
Her?

LooseChanj posted:

Blindness, Jose Saramago

Whew, that was exhausting. Saramago loves absurdly lengthy run-on sentences and two or three page paragraphs, and that's what every single of its 326 pages contained. He also seems to despise quotation marks, there wasn't one pair in the whole book. Maybe I'm just old and tired, but I like to at least have the option of a comfortable pausing point somewhat frequently but this book gives them few and very far between so reading it feels like running a marathon. It's the literary equivalent of waterboarding.

Which is a shame, because the premise of a nationwide epidemic of "white" blindness and its consequences could have been riveting. But it did manage to transcend its atrocious formatting in points, the account of the first cases of the unusual phenomenon of a man's being struck blind in his car at a stoplight, the degredation and humiliation experienced in quarantine by some of the sufferers, and their escape from confinement after society had broken down to such an extent it couldn't keep the initial cases interred any longer and their exploration of that world outside after escaping.

It amazes me this won the Nobel prize, because for all the power of the story it really is just this side of unreadable.

I had to read this about 3 years ago in my undergrad for a comparative lit course, and though it can be a struggle to get used to, i wouldn't call it undreadable. I think it's an incredible book, and was actually intrigued by Saramago's writing style. Plus, you can give yourself more kudos for actually getting through the whole thing due to all the run-ons. I'm interested to see how the movie's going to pan out, a few of my favorite books have been made into movies, and just once i'd like to be somewhat satisfied with a movie adaptation.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

This was my first time reading Sagan. I've watched Cosmos and Contact but reading him is quite different. I really enjoyed his way of explaining what looks like OMG GOVT CONSPIRACY CHIPS IN MY BRAIN as a modern reflection of human pseudoscience over the ages.

I think if he were alive today, he would be very happy at the increase in science in society. True, we still fight creationists and there are still UFOlogists and psychics but I don't think they are regarded nearly as seriously as maybe Sagan wrote about them over ten years ago. We realize global warming is going to gently caress us if we don't start working harder, creationism is thrown out of schools in case after case. I really feel like we're making some of the progress he longed for in the later chapters.

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!
Rumo: And His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers

https://www.amazon.com/Rumo-Miracul...4157&sr=8-1

I can't remember when I've fallen in love so quickly with a book before. I happened across it in the Fiction/Lit section at Borders (as opposed to SF/Fantasy where I normally go and shrug off 99% of the fare.)

Here is how the reviewers decribe it: "An over stuffed confection...Cross Lord of the Rings withYellow Submarine, throw in dashes of Monty Python, Douglas Adams, Shrek and The Princess Bride, season with more serious fare such as The Tin Drum and The Odyssey." and "Equal Parts Rowling, Adams and Shel Siverstein...a work of monumental silliness."

I mean, can you really go wrong with that sort of description? How about tossing in some Dr. Seuss?

But what is it about? It's about Rumo and his adventures. Think Dog Conan meets Wicked (the book not the play).

It's world building at it's finest. I can't talk it up enough

Making Money Terry Prachett

The Real Animal House: The Awesomely Depraved Saga of the Fraternity That Inspired the Movie by Chris Miller

Truly the spiritual antecedent of SA. All the beer, vomiting, masturbation, blow jobs and college hi-jinks, you can imagine.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Animal-House-Awesomely-Fraternity/dp/0316067172/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198853157&sr=1-1

Capn_Marrrrk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 10, 2008

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

perceptual_set posted:

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

I read this a little while back. I liked it so much I got it for my sister for Christmas. She's enjoying it quite a bit so far, from what I can tell.

I just finished Flatland by Edwin Abbot. It's a rather old book, written in the late 1800's, but the subject matter of one, two, and three dimensional space, and the possibility of more than that, is still quite interesting. I liked how difficult it was for a 3D being to explain the third dimension to a 2D being, since it pretty much required using terms, though understood as quite basic by 3D beings, that were completely out of the realm of understanding of the 2D beings.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo
I've finished quite a few books since the last update.

First of all there's Catch-22, but I'll write something in the specific thread.

Read two Vonneguts, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater and Mother Night. The first wasn't Kurt in his prime but had some witty bits and amusing dialogue. Mother Night I think was really good, but very different from all other Vonnegut books I've read in terms of style.

Also finished two collections of short stories by Jorge Luis Borges. I absolutely love his stories, especially when mirrors, labyrinths, books and chess games are involved. Between them these two collections contain practically all Finnish translations of his work available, so I'll have to start hunting for some English versions. It's a travesty that many of his well-known stories, including "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", haven't been published here.

Reread Italo Calvino's If On A Winter's Night A Traveler, cause my brain is a big sieve and I remembered gently caress-all about it. It was curious, intriguing and nearly ruined by the horrendous lack of proofreading and clusterfuck of punctuation. It's the little things that accumulate, like beginning a quote without ending it, or not putting commas where they belong, or putting them where they don't belong. Hardly the fault of the book though. At the best times I felt exactly like the protagonist: why did this story end, I want to finish this! On the other hand, I am the protagonist, so it really makes a lot of sense.
(EDIT: I just have to mention that the title of this book translates exceptionally beautifully into Finnish: Jos talviyönä matkamies.)

Finished Saramago's Blindness yesterday and already wrote about it in its own thread.

Finally, a few nonfiction books: This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel J. Levitin was a description about what goes on in the brain when it hears and analyzes music and also contained some thoughts on why and how the human race acquired and retained the ability of music perception. I sort of skimmed through this, and while there's a lot of solid information in the book, I didn't find Levitin an exceptionally good writer and the musical examples touted in the back cover as "ranging from Mozart, Ella Fitzgerald, and U2 to Schoenberg, Metallica and 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'" were little more than sporadic namedropping.

A much better read was Jeff Warren's excellent The Head Trip: Adventures on the Wheel of Consciousness. Warren delves into the nature of human consciousness and its various states, not limited to a simple asleep/awake dichotomy. Warren presents a solid amount of neurophysiological research as well as doing some empirical testing on himself, including a bit of hypnosis, a modicum of lucid dreaming and a dash of meditation. He's also a great writer, able to express the subject matter in a very clear, readable and occasionally comical manner, making the book a joy to read. (The cartoons he draws are pretty bad though.)

drat, I should update more frequently in smaller batches.

voland fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 11, 2008

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

Rumo: And His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers
Well, you sold me. Just ordered this and the Bluebear one. Thanks for the tip.

Not the Face
Dec 21, 2007
The Rum Diary by the late Hunter S. Thompson, I haven't read any of Thompson's other work except for his Page 2 articles on espn but from what I can gather (meaning based on absolutely nothing) this is one of his earlier works. It basically seemed like The Sun Also Rises in Puerto Rico. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact it's pretty good, but his style hasn't yet split off into what I guess would be the distinct Hunter S. Thompson style and still reads a lot like Hemingway. It's a short book and if you're looking for even more tales of decadent expatriates (of a sort, is Puerto Rico part of the United States or isn't it? Who knows really) then pick it up.

Also apparently it comes free with a subscription to GQ, at least that's what my copy of the book says. How or where I got it from I'm not sure since I don't have and never have had a subscription to GQ. I like to pretend it doesn't say that since it's not really a point in it's favor.

Next up is Stories of Yourself and Others.. by Ted Chiang a series of short stories.

Not the Face fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 11, 2008

t_k
Nov 16, 2007
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. I'm working my way through the Chronicles of Narnia at the moment and am enjoying it pretty well.

They're not as good as when I was nine years old, but that's to be expected ;)

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!

YancyDCjew posted:

Well, you sold me. Just ordered this and the Bluebear one. Thanks for the tip.

Cool, I hope you enjoy it.

I forgot, I also read: The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno

http://www.amazon.com/Detective-Fails-Punk-Planet-Books/dp/1933354100

Think: What happens when Encyclopedia Brown grows up and becomes institutionalized?

Meditations on life, evil, and death. A bittersweet melancholy book, that frankly is a goddamn work of art. It has an very poetic narrative flow. I enjoyed it very much.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Keeping it real , Justina Robson.

Enjoyable, but I probably would have enjoyed it with more cyberpunk and less fantasy.

Next up, The Superman Handbook.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

:( :( :( :( :(

This is the most heart-wrenching thing I've ever read. Beautiful, amazing book but just goddamn depressing.

Next up - either The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch or Song of Kali by Dan Simmons.

Some Alf DVDs
Dec 2, 2004

*SLurpz*
I just finished Slaughterhouse-Five and I've been telling all my friends to read it. It was the first Vonnegut book I've read; I love his casual and witty writing style with a dose of the deep and serious. This is probably my new favorite book, and I'm going to go on a Vonnegut frenzy back at school when I finally have access to a library again.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Just finished Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon, which was much fun.

Now re-reading Annie Proulx's The Shipping News.

Bones117
Oct 9, 2006
Bumblebee, stop lubricating the man!
I just finished Heroes: Saving Charlie by Aury Wallington

I usually stick to classics like my two all time favorites, H.G. Wells and F.Scott Fitzgerald. But I was really missing Heroes and decided to pick this up hoping it would give me some off-season love.

Quite disappointed. But i really shouldn't have set my hopes so high. It was "cute" as most will say and just a reason to cry all over again about what happens between Hiro and Charlie.

So unless you are really desperate for some Heroes off-season filler read this. But don't expect much.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

BurnoutBob posted:

I just finished Slaughterhouse-Five and I've been telling all my friends to read it. It was the first Vonnegut book I've read; I love his casual and witty writing style with a dose of the deep and serious. This is probably my new favorite book, and I'm going to go on a Vonnegut frenzy back at school when I finally have access to a library again.

I just finished God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater and loved it. I've only read Slaughterhouse-Five and Rosewater but they are both amazing books; I picked up three more of his (The Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, and Cat's Cradle) and can't wait to read them.

I'm starting McCarthy's Blood Meridian tomorrow with high hopes.

AuntieJem
Jan 12, 2008

Hey guys!
I talked a manically depressed man into SUICIDE over a game of MONOPOLY on CHRISTMAS-
FUCKING-EVE!

Guys?

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

Making Money Terry Prachett
[/url]

How is that book? It's sitting on my pile of Christmas books left to read.

The latest thing I've read is Look Back In Anger by John Osborne

Mrs Man
Dec 22, 2007

Do you know there are molluscs on your pipes?
Homecoming - Bernhard Schlink

Fantastic read I just wish I knew German so I could read his book the way they were meant to be read. I sometimes felt as though the translator hurried parts, not huge parts but enough to notice. Otherwise for me, it was equally as good as The Reader.

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!

AuntieJem posted:

How is that book? Making MoneyIt's sitting on my pile of Christmas books left to read.

It's good and entertaining. It's not Going Postal or Thud! Great, but worth your time.

It's another step in the modernization of Anhk-Morpork, and hints at even greater things.

Like a visit from an old friend.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
Finished the Illuminatus! trilogy yesterday. Holy crap. That was one of the most entertaining months I've ever had. All that vivid imagery and wicked language trickery. Way too much to condense to a simple synopsis. Suffice to say, it's right up there with Cat's Cradle as one of my all-time favorites.

Speaking of vivid imagery, Jesus tapdancing Christ there were smokin' ladies in that book. You could quite clearly see the ritual sex scenes as they were happening. Certainly could function as a nerdy masturbatory aid.

What could possibly be next? I'd love to tackle House of Leaves. Maybe sip at it throughout the semester.

AuntieJem
Jan 12, 2008

Hey guys!
I talked a manically depressed man into SUICIDE over a game of MONOPOLY on CHRISTMAS-
FUCKING-EVE!

Guys?

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

It's good and entertaining. It's not Going Postal or Thud! Great, but worth your time.

It's another step in the modernization of Anhk-Morpork, and hints at even greater things.

Like a visit from an old friend.

Sounds great, I will definitely have to take it up here as soon as possible. The last of his books I finished was Wyrd Sisters which I thought was okay, but definitely not as good as Last Continent or The Color of Magic.

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!

AuntieJem posted:

Sounds great, I will definitely have to take it up here as soon as possible. The last of his books I finished was Wyrd Sisters which I thought was okay, but definitely not as good as Last Continent or The Color of Magic.

It sounds like you are reading out of order. http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/

Characters are introduced, concepts etc.

I wouldn't read it if you havent read "Going Postal" yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Just finished Ender's Game the other day, it was a fun read.