Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Altered State posted:

I've been planning on getting a Flying V soon, and I've had my eye on the Epiphone Korina V ($499), but I recently found a brand new Gibson Flying V for $580. The thing lists at $1000+ online, so I'm a bit suspicious if there's something really wrong with that particular model. I found the same model listed a few plays on ebay at around the same price. Am I missing something here?

It's the worn Cherry Red Gibson, by the way.

There's also a worn SG that's around the same price. I guess they're much more cheaply made than the higher-end gibsons, and I haven't exactly heard glowing praise for them. It'll probably be slightly better than the epiphone, but I wouldn't imagine by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

There's also a worn SG that's around the same price. I guess they're much more cheaply made than the higher-end gibsons, and I haven't exactly heard glowing praise for them. It'll probably be slightly better than the epiphone, but I wouldn't imagine by much.

My dad got one of those Worn Cherry Vs for about $500 a while back. It seems to be put together about as well as any other Gibson I've seen and plays perfectly well. The pickups and wiring are identical to the more expensive models. As nearly as I can tell the only difference really is in the cheap finish. I'd imagine rubbing some dye into an untreated slab of mahogany offers a significant saving over the prep, filler and paint needed for a normal painted finish.

Plus I don't like glossy necks so that's nice too.

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

Chows posted:

My dad got one of those Worn Cherry Vs for about $500 a while back. It seems to be put together about as well as any other Gibson I've seen and plays perfectly well. The pickups and wiring are identical to the more expensive models. As nearly as I can tell the only difference really is in the cheap finish. I'd imagine rubbing some dye into an untreated slab of mahogany offers a significant saving over the prep, filler and paint needed for a normal painted finish.

Plus I don't like glossy necks so that's nice too.

Its also that they don't take any time to set it up, the fretjob/neck/intonation/etc is usually markedly shittier than nicer guitars, so just take it to a local guitar tech. +1 for glossy neck h8.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the info on the Gibson Flying V. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the glossy finishes in the first place, but I'd prefer a black or white over a cherry. I did play it for quite a while at Guitar Center and it seemed to play really well. The set up wasn't amazing but it was passable for, well, Guitar Center. I guess getting one and having a pro set it up would work for me, and it'd still be a lot cheaper than the glossy Vs they've got for twice as much. ...unless of course I go for one of those ESP Vs. :3:

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Altered State posted:

I did play it for quite a while at Guitar Center and it seemed to play really well. The set up wasn't amazing but it was passable for, well, Guitar Center. I guess getting one and having a pro set it up would work for me, and it'd still be a lot cheaper than the glossy Vs they've got for twice as much.

This is pretty much in line with what I found. Pop showed me the guitar shortly after he got it and neither of us found any real fault with the playability, but after he dropped another 50 bucks on a professional setup it was really quite impressive.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just got a Danelectro Back Talk Reverse Delay for cheap. Now to sell it on eBay and make about a hundred bucks. :D

I'll go back in a week and get the other one they had, too.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
I ordered a Hartke VXL Bass Attack (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassAttack} but I think I may return it when it arrives. I want something that will bring out more upper harmonic content without sucking out low end like my TS-9 or full on distortion like my Big Muff, any ideas?

PenguinBob fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 6, 2008

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
A brand new (reissue) MXR Phase 100.

Pricey, but to my ear, it offered a wider array of sounds than the other phasers I tried.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

I ordered a Hartke VXL Bass Attack (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassAttack} but I think I may return it when it arrives. I want something that will bring out more upper harmonic content without sucking out low end like my TS-9 or full on distortion like my Big Muff, any ideas?

Octaver :D

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

kenthebear posted:

Upon recommendation of Agreed:

I haven't even had a chance to try one out, I just bought a pre-gigged one on eBay for half the RRP. So, heres hoping I actually like it.

Did you ever check out the thread I made on cabinet impulse responses? The Zoom cab sim is fine for live, but for recording you could use IRs to get a more realistic sound than any hardware modeler outside of the AxeFX and other very high-end units offer.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

So, got all my stuff in, and it's time for some preliminary clips! I apologize for general sloppiness, but as usual I was recording in a rush and improv'ing everything so there's very little structure and direction to it. I did, however, try to fully demonstrate the pedals' capabilities.

I gotta get a better mic for guitar cabs, though - I've got a pair of condensers that are great for vocals and acoustic instruments, but they've got a low midbass hump that makes everything boomy even if I've got them dead on-axis. Proximity effect like wow. Since I don't have a real studio, I built a fort around my amp and the mic with pillows, blankets, a mattress, etc. to deaden room noise (otherwise all you'd hear would be the cockatiels and parakeets in the background, and conversely they'd be deaf and so would I). It ain't an isolation booth by any means, but it worked surprisingly well given the limitations I was facing :) Necessity is the mother of covering your amp and cab with a bunch of dampening poo poo, as they say.

Without further ado:

Setup: Agile Ghost III w/ GFS Crunchy Rails in the bridge, GFS Dream 180 in the neck (you can tell when I switch 'em), plugged into a Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah, going into the Liquid Blues, going into the Solid Metal, then into a Dan-o Fish n' Chips EQ, then into my Dan-Echo delay, then into a Korg AX3G for its great bang-for-the-buck reverbs and for its tuner function. Finally, into my Randall RX120RH, driving a Trace-Elliot 4x12 with V30s.

Recorded by an Art Tube MP Project Series w/USB (this thing rocks) powering an MXR condenser (the smaller one from the $100 bundle). Like I said, this is the part I don't like so much - it's awesome for vocals, can't get a better deal than that, but frankly though it works for guitar there are much better mics for that application.

Liquid Blues Regular

Liquid Blues Nuclear

Solid Metal (This is the sloppiest of the lot, and I really regret not having time to re-record it because I think the SM on its own is a great, clean high gain sound with tons of definition and clarity - expect a better demo of this soon)

Solid Metal Nuclear Boost (This one was fun to do, just trying to demonstrate that even with all of the gain engaged, and reverb and delay on, full chords are still defined and lead licks don't lose any of their edge)

Liquid Blues into the Solid Metal, both in normal (non-nuclear) mode. In this clip, they are left on the entire time and no settings are changed.

The tonal options are quite deep with this pair and an EQ. I have already boxed up my old pedals in their original packages. Debating whether or not to sell them - the collector in me is the only part that wants to keep them, because they definitely don't sound as good as these.

The high gain clips didn't translate quite as well as the lower gain ones, which I blame on the condenser mic which doesn't have any kind of db pad and is sensitive enough to need one and which has a frequency response tailored to vocals and acoustic instruments. Before anything else is added to the pedalboard, a SM57 or e609 will be added to my recording setup. And so will a mic stand - I fashioned one for this recording out of a regular guitar tripod stand and some Gorilla tape. Works okay, got a pretty good off-axis canted mic thing going on, but I really, really need a mic stand (preferably a decent boom stand) for ease of adjustment and flexibility. Oh, and so I can set my guitar back down :q:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

So in the last clip, are you switching from the crunchy rails to the dream 180?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The first switch in dynamics is me going from Crunchy Rails to the Dream 180. I had pre-adjusted the volume knob to show off the dynamic range. It stays Dream 180 through the gain swell and then a bit into the riff.

The second one, where I turned the volume knob down too far and had to bring it back up, is the Crunchy Rails.

All of the other clips are strictly Crunchy Rails, no Dream 180. I recorded this partly to demonstrate the Damage Control pedals and also because a guy in another thread wanted a Crunchy Rails demo, figured I could kill two birds with one stone and still get some Dream 180 action in there too.

I will be recording some more demo clips of it with more planning put into them soon.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I'm sold on the rails, thanks for the clips!

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
In the Solid Metal ones, how high do you have the Scoop turned up? Also, in person does it have a nice bass "thump" and good low end most of the time without much tweaking?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I went Craigslist crazy on Saturday:

Roland KC-500

Dean Edge 6
Only a couple months old. I wanted a bass for laying down basic lines and working on some tapping until I feel ready for a Chapman.

Martin 000-1
All solid woods, so unused that it is still on the original strings.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 8, 2008

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I'm a happy guy tonight.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

Small treat for myself. It's just a boost pedal. Sorry about the flash!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Agreed posted:

Did you ever check out the thread I made on cabinet impulse responses? The Zoom cab sim is fine for live, but for recording you could use IRs to get a more realistic sound than any hardware modeler outside of the AxeFX and other very high-end units offer.

I did, and I'll be giving it a shot now, it looks very useful.

Especially as I recieved it today, then realized I broke my second guitar cable ages ago, leaving me unable to actually plug it into my amp :downs:

On a different note, I've decided it's about time to get a USB-MIDI cable, but they get pretty expensive. If you look on eBay, you'll find cheap chinese ones that you get shipped in. Now, what is the difference between them? Are the chinese ones lovely quality and cheaper parts? Will they do if I'm just using them in a pissing around situation? They're like a third of the price of the M-Audio UNO, which is the cheapest "proper" one I can find.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Raze posted:

In the Solid Metal ones, how high do you have the Scoop turned up? Also, in person does it have a nice bass "thump" and good low end most of the time without much tweaking?

On any of them with the solid metal involved, the scoop is turned nearly to max. Maybe at max. Treble is all the way up, too. Bass to taste - it's a great control, doesn't color the sound just adds punch and thump (to answer your second question). I have my Dan-O EQ after it altering the mids quite a bit too, though. And I boost the mids on my amp to compensate - guitar is an alto instrument, after all. But the scoop control sounds great throughout its whole range of motion, and the Liquid Blues is very non-scooped if you get my drift. On it, I have the treble control nearly maxed as well, which also seems to affect the upper midrange.

With the Dan-o and my amp's EQ on the output and the Liquid Metal on the input, it's more like a notched scoop than a full scoop. I don't like the way a huge mid scoop sounds, but notching the mids can get some great results.

Wish you guys could hear it in person - the clips do a pretty good job of demonstrating its capabilities and its fundamental character, but they don't capture its full feel and sound. Maybe with a better mic?

kenthebear posted:

I did, and I'll be giving it a shot now, it looks very useful.

Especially as I recieved it today, then realized I broke my second guitar cable ages ago, leaving me unable to actually plug it into my amp :downs:

On a different note, I've decided it's about time to get a USB-MIDI cable, but they get pretty expensive. If you look on eBay, you'll find cheap chinese ones that you get shipped in. Now, what is the difference between them? Are the chinese ones lovely quality and cheaper parts? Will they do if I'm just using them in a pissing around situation? They're like a third of the price of the M-Audio UNO, which is the cheapest "proper" one I can find.

I bought the M-Audio Uno to use with it, and it works fine. Careful, though, the cabling (which is not user servicable, read: is attached to it permanently) is really flimsy compared to commercially available midi cable. I'd go for a 1X1 full-on midi interface. I think M-Audio makes one which is priced almost the same as the Uno, called the Midisport. It's a much better buy, and a much more solid unit. The Uno has worked fine for me (if you've got XP, don't install the included drivers, it's the path to endless headaches - just plug it in and it'll be recognized, then select it as your default midi controller in the "Sound and Audio Devices" in your control panel)... but it appears to be extremely fragile.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Agreed posted:

... but it appears to be extremely fragile.

My brother broke his with some very standard use, we ended up having to open it up and resolder things.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I'm active on the Dean Forums (one of the coolest online guitar communities if you enjoy Dean guitars, even Dean Zelinsky posts on there from time to time), and several Dean dealers on there do limited runs of special guitars if enough people are willing to buy them. Well last year the design for a special Dean Cadillac was brought up, and we all wanted a different style of color than the norm, and we wanted it with Deans trademark V neck. What everyone came up with was this Cadzilla photoshop, a green quilted Cadillac. 40 are being built, and I have number 9. Dean just got them done, and I should have mine soon (with a jb/jazz combo)

The original photoshop

Here is what the real guitar looks like, I can't wait! I know this is very love it or hate it thing, but I just love it!

V-neck's freaking rock. They feel like butter in your hands.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I thought about getting that sharktar but decided to get something useful instead:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Draesk
Sep 12, 2007

TheDingo posted:

Dean Edge 6
Only a couple months old. I wanted a bass for laying down basic lines and working on some tapping until I feel ready for a Chapman.

I generally hate sunburst, but that's actually done pretty well - it looks really nice. :)

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Von posted:

I generally hate sunburst, but that's actually done pretty well - it looks really nice. :)

They call it "amberburst". Instead of blending out to black lacquer like sunburst, it blends to a dark red.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Laser level, stud finder, and four hook things?

oic

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

DrChu posted:

Laser level, stud finder, and four hook things?

oic

what's that Ashdown pedal?

dingolord
Sep 26, 2004

Suhr Classic. The guitar I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I used to play the faded SG's when they were new in '03 when I worked at a GC. The job was awful, but the tone from the SG's and faded Les Pauls was sweet, and they play exceptionally well. That said, I'm selling my MIM Strat and looking to pick up one of these babies...

I've always loved white SG's.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

PenguinBob posted:

what's that Ashdown pedal?
Its their Bass Chorus Plus pedal. I'm thinking of selling it and putting the money towards one of their Drive Plus pedals, I like the idea of having a separate high/low overdrive with a movable split.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I decided to get a new bass rig:

Sansamp BDDI
Korg DT-10
Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
GK 700RBII
Ampeg SVT-15E

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I decided to get a new bass rig:

Sansamp BDDI
Korg DT-10
Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
GK 700RBII
Ampeg SVT-15E

How much did the head+cab cost you, and how many watts? I've been thinking about a new rig lately, one that's small, portable, and around 300 watts, and that looks definitely like the kind I want.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
I got a clarinet and my wife got a violin a couple of weeks ago. I got the clarinet because it was cheap and about as different from any of the instruments I know how to play as it possibly could be, which is cool. I've just ordered a softer reed for it because I've been hurting my face and hyperventilating so far. Exciting!

I've had a cello for a few years now that I haven't learned to play, which is why she got the violin - we're learning together with the help of some good music books and accompanying CDs. About three or four nights a week we'll take an hour or so to drink port and play violin and cello together. We're motherfucking civilized like that. We're shopping for monocles right now.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

How much did the head+cab cost you, and how many watts? I've been thinking about a new rig lately, one that's small, portable, and around 300 watts, and that looks definitely like the kind I want.

The head was $600 and the cab was $400. I actually got them both for $800 total courtesy of a 20% off at musiciansfriend. The cab is listed at 72lbs, but it doesn't feel that heavy at all, and the rig sounds absolutely amazing. If you want something really portable, I would look into the Markbass stuff.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Beaten on this, but definitely look into MarkBass combo amps, such as the Mini CMD 121P. It has a full size 300W/500W LittleMark II amp in it, excellent sound, and under 40lbs total.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

mofolotopo posted:

I got a clarinet and my wife got a violin a couple of weeks ago. I got the clarinet because it was cheap and about as different from any of the instruments I know how to play as it possibly could be, which is cool. I've just ordered a softer reed for it because I've been hurting my face and hyperventilating so far. Exciting!

I've had a cello for a few years now that I haven't learned to play, which is why she got the violin - we're learning together with the help of some good music books and accompanying CDs. About three or four nights a week we'll take an hour or so to drink port and play violin and cello together. We're motherfucking civilized like that. We're shopping for monocles right now.

That is cute as can be. My fiancee and I (marrying on the 25th!) jam guitar and bass sometimes. Right now, we're trying to budget for one of the newer compact electric uprights which can be bowed, because that's her training - she can play electric, but it's just not the same for her.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Agreed posted:

That is cute as can be. My fiancee and I (marrying on the 25th!) jam guitar and bass sometimes. Right now, we're trying to budget for one of the newer compact electric uprights which can be bowed, because that's her training - she can play electric, but it's just not the same for her.

I'd love to have an upright bass. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! Married life is great if you've found the right person, I highly recommend it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Orange Tiny Terror and 2x12

This thing sounds really good, so punchy with the two Vintage 30s. Just a great little rock/blues amp.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

That orange set-up is gorgeous. How loud can the tiny terror get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Engine Fortegue posted:

That orange set-up is gorgeous. How loud can the tiny terror get?

Loud enough that since It's been home the max I've had it was half way on the 7 watt setting, and even then it was only for a minute because it was starting to shake things and my wife and child were home.

I've found that with the gain at around 12 o'clock It gets a nice clean into break-up crunch, rolling the guitar's volume back from 10 cleans it up. Then with my Maxon OD808 set as a clean boost I can push it all the way into crunchy heaven.

I tried the 1x12 (Celestion G12K-100) but found that when you pushed it it started to get a bit flubby in the low end; when I plugged into the 2x12 (Vintage 30's) the thing just said "give me more".

If you max out the gain it can sound a little fizzy but I didn't really buy it for really high gain stuff. I'm actually surprised at the amount of clean headroom it has, it's really useable, though the British crunch is where it really shines.

Most importantly you can get a good sound out of it at very low levels. I've been playing it for the last two hours and my 11 month old boy who's going though a phase of really light sleeping hasn't woken once.