Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

ThrillKiller posted:

loving. Finally. The ION really does sound as incredible as people say...
I got one too recently. It's quite possibly the best virtual analogue ever made. I'm in love with my ION :)

EDIT WITH PICTURE:

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

DrChu posted:

oic

Out of curiosity, how much did those hooks run you? I've got a $50 card for GC, and I've been meaning to do what you've done for some time.

I'm not opposed to going over the card amount - I've got six or seven instruments I'd like to hang up - but I've been trying to get hooks that are actually okay for the instrument, and are still reasonably priced.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Walter posted:

Out of curiosity, how much did those hooks run you? I've got a $50 card for GC, and I've been meaning to do what you've done for some time.

I'm not opposed to going over the card amount - I've got six or seven instruments I'd like to hang up - but I've been trying to get hooks that are actually okay for the instrument, and are still reasonably priced.
String Swing hangers run about $12. They're very nice, solid and sturdy. The padding could damage a finicky old lacquer finish, but this is a problem with most any guitar stand. I just cover it with a microfiber cloth if I'm worried.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Ninja fetus posted:

I got one too recently. It's quite possibly the best virtual analogue ever made. I'm in love with my ION :)

EDIT WITH PICTURE:

As I expand my selection of hardware, I'm really tempted to get one of these or a DSI Evolver once I scrape together the scratch. I'll be hosed if the blinky blinky lights on the Ion don't push it above the Evolver on my desirability list though.

I love lights.

glassonion
Jan 7, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Hopefully plan on being the highest bidder on this guitar....

Set my max bid at 850

New in Guitar center it goes for 1300 so ill be a happy guy if i win with that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170183187406&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DBidding

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?

Yamaha FG730S + Accessories. Now if only the UPS guy would get here. :argh:

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm active on the Dean Forums...

The Cadillac is my favorite Dean body style, that thing looks sweet.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

photoshop, a green quilted Cadillac. 40 are being built, and I have number 9. Dean just got them done, and I should have mine soon (with a jb/jazz combo)

Reminds me of those FDP Strats, which were also green (I think a goon here has one). I'd be stoked for that pickup combo.

Machine Gun fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 11, 2008

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Walter posted:

I got them from Amazon, the total for five hangers (one is going in my living room) after shipping was $42.62, each stand was $7.49 from the seller Stinnett's Music (who unfortunately doesn't seem to be a choice any more - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GLCRC).

The laser level was $15 and the stud finder $10, the hangers come with anchors that allow you to put them anywhere in the wall, but I wanted the extra security of them being on a stud. The laser level was just to keep everything in a neat line.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

squidgee posted:

As I expand my selection of hardware, I'm really tempted to get one of these or a DSI Evolver once I scrape together the scratch. I'll be hosed if the blinky blinky lights on the Ion don't push it above the Evolver on my desirability list though.

I love lights.
To be honest though, the picture was taken during firmware update. Normally not all of the lights are blinking, although a lot of them still are. The ION looks great in the dark.

Rankin
May 31, 2002

glassonion posted:

Hopefully plan on being the highest bidder on this guitar....

Set my max bid at 850

New in Guitar center it goes for 1300 so ill be a happy guy if i win with that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170183187406&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DBidding

That is a beautiful guitar. Hope you get it :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Archr5 posted:

The Cadillac is my favorite Dean body style, that thing looks sweet.

Thanks, I can't wait to get it in my hands. I don't know why I've always loved the Cadillac shape since I saw it, but it looks crazy yet classy in a way if that makes sense.

Best Friend posted:

Reminds me of those FDP Strats, which were also green (I think a goon here has one). I'd be stoked for that pickup combo.

Hmm I need to find a picture of one of these strats. Off to google I go.

edit - ahh ok FDP means Fender Discussion Page. Looks like a big message board community, is there a certain place to look for the pics of that type of strat ?

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 11, 2008

DrChu
May 14, 2002

edit - ahh ok FDP means Fender Discussion Page. Looks like a big message board community, is there a certain place to look for the pics of that type of strat ?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=fdp&pagenumber=13#post324409292

If that link doesn't work its on page 13 of this thread.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

D.R. posted:

My Fender 2000 American Series Fender Discussion Page Limtted Edition #3 or 68 Super Awesome Thing

Custom shop 2 piece body, custom color (surf green). Possibly the only non custom shop limited run guitars Fender has made.

Thanks for the link, that's cool that Fender does this too, I had only thought Dean did this.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
edit

Okay, I was browsing Warmoth and they got me. I saw this and just couldn't resist. Looks like I'm building another guitar! I'm gonna do a black pickguard and ebony fretboard on this one.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 12, 2008

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Carbohydrates posted:

With a black guard and ebony board, that thing's going to be beautiful! Warmoth's stuff is pricey, but there's a reason, I guess.

I'm still in the process of working on a parts guitar, the body and neck of which I bought a number of years ago. Strat shaped, the neck's a maple fretboard.

I still have to buy one more pickup and a set of tuners, and I should be able to put the thing together. I've been really lagging behind, but maybe it's time to go get those last couple things so I can finally build my strat.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Carbohydrates posted:

edit

Okay, I was browsing Warmoth and they got me. I saw this and just couldn't resist. Looks like I'm building another guitar! I'm gonna do a black pickguard and ebony fretboard on this one.

Black pickguard? I'd go with clear!

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
That is absolutely beautiful wood but i think black would be a really awesome contrast to how light it is.
Clear would still be cool.
Honestly i don't think there is anything you could do to make that body look bad except maybe spraypaint it neon green with bright red radiation symbols or possibly shape it into a shark

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Fostex X-18 multitracker. It's used and smells like smoke :barf: but it came with the manual and was cheap so whatever.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ninja fetus posted:

EDIT WITH PICTURE:

Congratulations. The lights are pretty, yes. Very much so.

Anyway, do hook up a dedicated delay/reverb box. You'll be glad you did..

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
Ordered these tonight:

GFS Crunchy Rails humbucker, gonna put it in my Squier Super-Sonic. First pickup replacement ever for me, so I've been practicing my soldering skillz.

And I ordered the last one of these on Zzounds,

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
Bought this Marshall half-stack from Vilenarios yesterday, very very happy with it and it blows my old Peavey 212 efx out of the water:

1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock - :rock:! 5, 6 ,7 o'clock, 8 o'clock - :rock:! Oh yea, don't jock my godzilla stickers please :D

EDIT: to clarify the magnitude of the situation, the half-stack was given to me for $150

Evil the Cat fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 13, 2008

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Evil the Cat posted:

Bought this Marshall half-stack from Vilenarios yesterday, very very happy with it and it blows my old Peavey 212 efx out of the water:

1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock - :rock:! 5, 6 ,7 o'clock, 8 o'clock - :rock:! Oh yea, don't jock my godzilla stickers please :D

EDIT: to clarify the magnitude of the situation, the half-stack was given to me for $150

gently caress

also which pickups did you put in that rg? and is it a 550 or 570?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

edit

Tele singlecoils + ebony fingerboard = brighter than the loving sun!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

3toes posted:

Tele singlecoils + ebony fingerboard = brighter than the loving sun!
Well I decided to go with Maple instead, not that that's a leap in the opposite direction!

Still playing with it a bit but I'm pretty sure that's how it's gonna go.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Carbohydrates posted:

Well I decided to go with Maple instead, not that that's a leap in the opposite direction!

Still playing with it a bit but I'm pretty sure that's how it's gonna go.

Why not have no pickguard? Also, the maple looks fine.. I usually prefer it on fender stuff since they have unpainted headstocks.

And what in the world is going on with the weird metal flake stuff on the electronics?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ZombiePeanut posted:

Why not have no pickguard?
I don't like the look of a tele without a pickguard. They don't exactly have the most attractive body shape and the pickguard kinda visually holds it together. Definitely a preference thing.

ZombiePeanut posted:

And what in the world is going on with the weird metal flake stuff on the electronics?
Engraved.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

Engraved.

I... wow. I hate finding cool poo poo when I'm saving up for something :smith:

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Carbohydrates posted:

I don't like the look of a tele without a pickguard. They don't exactly have the most attractive body shape and the pickguard kinda visually holds it together. Definitely a preference thing.

Engraved.

Just seems like a shame to cover up any of that wood.

It seems like it would look really good with no pickguard and plain darker gold hardware. If you absolutely must have a pickguard, it kind of seems like creme or white would look better. Also, that engraved hardware looks pretty weird to me.

DontTouchMyTorah
Jan 13, 2008
Axle Gatin bought me this account, and is awesome because of it.
Well, I'm mainly a guitarist, I've played for about 5 years, but I took up drums about a year ago and I just bought my first kit, a 6-Piece Gretsch Maple Catalina. Shes a beauty, check it out.

And once I get some more money i'm buying one of these:

Ibanez RG1570, Ive been moving in a more metal direction for a while and I need a guitar that can handle the heavy stuff.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
Just won the bidding on ebay for this:

Marshall MG250DFX. Should be a nice upgrade from my 15 watt Orange i've been using these past few years. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can realise I bought something far too loud for my practicing needs.

Not mine, but my buddy/guitar teacher just won this 'distressed' Telecaster in a contest. I'm not a Fender man at all, but the story behind it and the sound are both pretty drat fun.

How they distressed it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6I7pMjDke8
It now has the used shotgun shells they fired at it glued to the volume and tone knobs.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

Laws posted:

gently caress

also which pickups did you put in that rg? and is it a 550 or 570?

its the 550, 20th anniversary model. purple pickup is the x2n and the green is evolution2.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ZombiePeanut posted:

It seems like it would look really good with no pickguard and plain darker gold hardware. If you absolutely must have a pickguard, it kind of seems like creme or white would look better. Also, that engraved hardware looks pretty weird to me.
I appreciate your opinion and all but looks like we've got pretty opoosite tastes here. I don't like the look of gold hardware (though I did a mock-up using it to see if I would), I hate white/pearl/light colors over burst finishes*, and I've been wanting an excuse to use engraved hardware on something for a while. Go figure!

FractionMan posted:

I was about to say that's the worst "relic" job I've ever seen, but, oh. It's just a parody relic. :)

*Bursts that go to black on the edge, that is. Cherry, sienna, and honey bursts look fine.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Carbohydrates posted:

I appreciate your opinion and all but looks like we've got pretty opoosite tastes here. I don't like the look of gold hardware (though I did a mock-up using it to see if I would), I hate white/pearl/light colors over burst finishes*

The gold hardware could look bad, I'd definitely have to see it. It just seems like with a more subdued gold it'd match everything well, but it's possible I'm thinking about it wrong in my head. meh. I agree that gold hardware really only looks good with a few other colors.

I also didn't even notice it was burst finished until just now. Thought it was clear :downs:. I agree with the dislike of lighter pickguards on burst finishes. Are the sides of the body completely black?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Not exactly newest since I got the body+neck back before Thanksgiving but it is done and playable now.
Started as this:

Stripped down to this:

You can kind of see where it started its life as a hot pink mess.
At some time in its life it had what looks like to be a Kahler tremolo installed, but it was already filled in with wood when I stripped it.

Paint was Seafoam Green Nitro-Cellulose from The Guitar ReRanch

I re-did the inlays in pearl dots, made the pearl tops for the pick-up covers, cut the electronics cover out of pearloid sheet, and I made a Pearloid truss rod cover but I am re-cutting it because I didn't like how it came out.
It still needs some tweaking of the action and intonation and I have a bone nut blank staring at me waiting to get up the nerve to cut my first nut from scratch.
The neck I re-finished with Tru-Oil gives it a nice tint and smooth feel.

This is my 3rd finishing project and my 2nd parts build.
Someday I am going to do a complete scratch build.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
gently caress the haters, guitars need contrast and the pickguard does a fantastic job of it. Really looks gorgeous in that mockup, makes me jealous lots.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Hey, what's this on my bed?

Why hello there!

Gibson Les Paul Studio, for 800$ I'm ridiculously happy.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

ZombiePeanut posted:

The grain of the wood and the black pick guard, combined with the engraved hardware, makes it look like an old hunting shotgun to me. If you could get a gunmetal blued color pick guard it would look amazing in my opinion. Not fender's idea of "gunmetal" I mean like blue so dark it may as well be black.

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

granpa yum posted:

god i love christmas

tascam fw1884, it's a solid mixer and a fantastic control surface. this is my first mixer with motorized faders and i love them and i will never go back. my only complaint is that theres some signal noise, but from what im reading online you can replace the opamps pretty easily and get a much cleaner signal

now i just desperately need a set of monitors to replace my busted behringer truths and i'm golden. im currently using 6.99 computer speakers cos i got nothin else and it hell of sucks.

I have that and have been using it to record for a couple of years. Going into the back with XLR and using a seperate mic pre though. Also, it works great with an octopre and the digital add-on to get an extra 8 inputs if ever needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

DrChu posted:

Laser level, stud finder, and four hook things?

oic

hay string swing buddy.

I've got pretty much the same setup (see earlier this thread)