Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

DSMArisen posted:

For starters, you are a FREAK OF NATURE. I tried Aurora [A] yesterday on this word and holy flapjacks what is wrong with you. Red Zone is a joke compared to that. Also I wasn't aware that Love is Eternity is a token easy one, I'll try that I guess. Minimoo-G is super easy for an 11 all the way through but the ending rapes me to 40% every time.

The last dozen of measures used to always get me on Red Zone, they're pretty fast and it took a really nice random for me to be able to get what was going on there.

I also should point out that I can't consistantly pass Aurora, it's rather hit and miss depending on how much I damage control a certain problem part. Also by looking at a few good plays and the charts you notice that the pattern isn't really any different from the hyper, just adds 16ths all over the place and doubles up notes.

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~hibroad/score/12/aurora.html?1HA00
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~hibroad/score/12/aurora.html?1AB00

I also recommend trying lovely storm (even though that actually isn't an 11 anymore). If you play LH scratch like me use mirror and you will find it a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

There's only one way to adequately describe my reaction to this, and that's :psyduck:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
DJ Trooper's song list is pretty loving hot. Lovely Storm charts that I can pass? Hell yes.

Still no go on 11s :(

Sam Handwich
Apr 19, 2003

Zo posted:

DJ Trooper's song list is pretty loving hot. Lovely Storm charts that I can pass? Hell yes.

Yeah, I really really like it. It hasn't gotten me super-excited to go out and track down a machine to play on in the same way GOLD did, but there are a lot of really great tracks :)

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Got to play 13th mix at last.

It ain't dethroning 10th as my favorite any time soon.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Yeah, everytime I also boot up DistorteD, I play maybe 3 songs then boot back up Happy Sky. There isn't much that gets me too excited in DD, and it just proves to me my theory that it's pretty much every other style that makes me excited.

You're the only person that I've heard that prefers the 10th style song list though. o_O.

I'm still stuck at that drat 10* wall. I can pass most of the 10* on 7 key, but the anothers are another story. 11*s I can't even look at. It's kinda depressing.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

kimcicle posted:

I'm still stuck at that drat 10* wall. I can pass most of the 10* on 7 key, but the anothers are another story. 11*s I can't even look at. It's kinda depressing.

Yeah same here, but I think I've isolated my weaknesses. One is if it get too hectic on my left hand, everything goes to hell and I can't scratch at all. Another is that I can't keep my timing during jackhammers at all, like that part in Sphere. I can pass harder things if the notes were a little more distinctive.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

It ain't dethroning 8th and Red as my favorite any time soon.

Fixed for me.

DistorteD's okay, and I like the training mode the best of all the mixes, but the songlist is... meh. I usually just play Quell, Shoot 'em Up, Bloody Tears, Zero, Tripping Contact, maybe a few others, then go back to one of the other mixes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The nice thing about IIDX is that while most people only like about half of the styles, those styles are always different for different people. I personally prefer the even-numbered ones, but quite a lot of people are just the opposite.

IIDX CS desperately needs a progressive scan output option, since the deinterlacing lag is what really kills gameplay on HDTV's. Seriously, even Guitar Hero gets this right. loving GUITAR HERO, it doesn't even have keysounds! </musicgamesnob>

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 13, 2008

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

loving GUITAR HERO, it doesn't even have keysounds! </musicgamesnob>

Well, actually, it kinda does.

I play IIDX on my LCD using component inputs and there is a bit of a noticeable lag. I also play GuitarFreaks/Drummania V3 on that TV but it seems to have no lag at all. It may just be due to the larger timing window of GF/DM compared to IIDX, though. I really can't tell.

Here's hoping IIDX GOLD CS has a progressive scan option, yeah.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mr Dog posted:

IIDX CS desperately needs a progressive scan output option

YES

I cannot believe the quality jump with Guitar Hero 3. I loving hate the game [mostly for the UI changes] but man does it look nice. I was playing Red a lot today [learning two-handed play sucks worse than I had originally thought, it turns out] and the blurriness of the song titles / UI sucks. :(

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

Well it turns out two handed isn't hard at all. I figured it'd be really awkward [after playing ~2 years one handed], but after a few rounds of training I basically have the hang of it. Now, I'm still hitting the wrong notes here and there while I get the "feel" of it, but when I DO hit, my timing is noticeably better. :D

Also, I just bought a DJ Station Pro from eBay the other day - hell, it looked cool, and even if I don't plan to use it much [5 keys, right scratch] it'll look cool on my growing wall of PS2 controllers... but... uhh... I'm having a problem trying to figure out exactly how it works, since most of the sites I see on google are either ads for them for sale, or in Japanese. I'm guessing there are audio inputs on it, and that's how the volume sliders work? I see there's a headphone jack...

For reference:

I have one of those and I love it. It has spots for batteries and a headphone jack, and from there it basically acts as a mini audio mixer. However it's mainly meant for 5key beatmania, like on the PS1. :P

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dewgy posted:

I have one of those and I love it. It has spots for batteries and a headphone jack, and from there it basically acts as a mini audio mixer. However it's mainly meant for 5key beatmania, like on the PS1. :P

Gotcha.

Hey, it looks awesome, alright? :D I mostly bought it for a display piece, since I've never even played 5 key except briefly when all I had was USA. I figure it'll go up with my GH controllers up on my wall, and in the event I ever shell out for one, my DJ Dao [god knows I'm not going to be using the spendy sucker unless it's a special occasion]

Also, tell me if this is weird - after playing... countless hours of training mode yesterday, I've basically adapted to the following: left pinky/ring scratch, left middle 1, left index 3, right index 2 and 3, right middle 4 and 5, right ring 6 and 7, floating around as I need to. My right hand wants to take over the whole board, thanks to my previous experiences, but this seems to work adequately for the 4s and 5s I've been working on clearing. It's just a matter of getting my retarded left hand to do what I want it to in sync with my right - scales are the worst, and pinky scratching is WAY easier than I thought it'd be.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!
Like you said, your right hand seems way too strong. It's good that you are able to adapt to bringing your hand over that far, but if you ever run into some nasty patterns centering on 567, you'll be screwed. There's no reason you shouldn't try to hit at least 2 with your left hand, all you would have to do is move your left ring to 1 and your left middle to 2. I wish I could move my hands over to hit 2 with the right though, 123 patters KILL me.

I'm trying to solve 123 patterns killing me right now by (finally) introducing my left thumb on three (instead of index) to give my left hand a little more move room. It's slow going once you get locked into one way of playing (all the one hand players should know,) but it's worth it in the end I think.

DSMArisen fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 14, 2008

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Also, tell me if this is weird - after playing... countless hours of training mode yesterday, I've basically adapted to the following: left pinky/ring scratch, left middle 1, left index 3, right index 2 and 3, right middle 4 and 5, right ring 6 and 7, floating around as I need to. My right hand wants to take over the whole board, thanks to my previous experiences, but this seems to work adequately for the 4s and 5s I've been working on clearing. It's just a matter of getting my retarded left hand to do what I want it to in sync with my right - scales are the worst, and pinky scratching is WAY easier than I thought it'd be.

Yeah, it's kinda weird. Your left hand is doing too much and your right hand is focused on the beat / scratching. It'll do you good for a while, and hell, I got to the 9*s about the same way, but you'll hit a wall.

One thing that I've found to help with with figuring out a balanced play style is to play the other side without using mirror. That way, you're forced to scratch with your right hand and makes your left hand do some more work than it's used to.

But then again my playstyle has pretty much come down to do whatever the gently caress you can to hit keys.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Hopefully you will keep on adapting as you start higher songs, since your key 4-7 setup is going to hit a solid wall as soon as you start getting 3 note rolls on those keys.

Also don't be afraid to use thumbs. It's entirely possible to be a totally godly IIDX player without thumbs but if you can help it bring them in. Since you mentioned an interest in a DJ Dao controller it means that you will have to deal with AC dimensions, so working out how you're going to scratch and hit keys at the same time is important unless you have gigantic freakish hands with long fingers (mostly looking at your pinky scratch + left index on key 3 here, which I try to do on AC and it is a long reach).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

...and in the event I ever shell out for one, my DJ Dao [god knows I'm not going to be using the spendy sucker unless it's a special occasion]

If you buy an ASC for god's sake use it, haha. One of the reasons they're so expensive is because they're durable as all hell and can handle pretty much whatever you toss at them. My Ransai Pop'n ASC has seen a LOT of use, abuse, and mistreatment (like days and days in the back of my car in the summer), and it's still solid as a rock. (I mean I melted my battery holders but hey that's my own fault. :P)

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
I had a DJ Dao FP7 (not even a PE) and I played every single song from 3CS to 12CS on Hyper/7Key and Another at least once. Definitely worth the money. But I had to sell it because I needed the money back. :P

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
So I had a pretty productive day today. I passed Shoot'em All [A], Andromeda [A] and Guidecca [A] (both with random too :wtc: ), Inori [A], Kecak [A], Rainbow Flyer [A] (random and A pass too) and I passed IIDX RED 9th dan.

What's more surprising is that I also 78%ed Ganymede [A] which almost made me break down and cry. I'm starting to consider what 12s I'm going to start working on to break that barrier. I was originally eyeing down In The Sky but then found out that's actually an 11 now so my target is more set on Tripping Contact. Any one else got any other ideas for easy entry level 12s aside from Innocent Walls and Gigadelic 7k?

Also I have been really tempted to buy a DJ Dao myself lately, mostly because the FP7 looks like it has a easy transition from KOC turntable spacing. Is the spacing much different from a KOC, it looks like it has some height on it is that difficult to deal with? Since I play totally thumbless turntable spacing can totally destroy my play style and I don't want to mess with it too much.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

Fishious posted:

Any one else got any other ideas for easy entry level 12s aside from Innocent Walls and Gigadelic 7k?

I'd work on trying to clear and hard clear every 10 & 11 possible, but some pretty easy 12* songs are Scream Squad, A, Sakura... I don't know why you listed Innocent Walls 7key, because I think it's hard... um... Concertino in Blue and Due Tomorrow are also easy. So is One or Eight.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Giudecca posted:

I'd work on trying to clear and hard clear every 10 & 11 possible, but some pretty easy 12* songs are Scream Squad, A, Sakura... I don't know why you listed Innocent Walls 7key, because I think it's hard... um... Concertino in Blue and Due Tomorrow are also easy. So is One or Eight.

I've been working on 10s in that manner and can hard clear more then half of them, 11s however would be a real challenge. Many 11s I have miss counts at around 100 at best. I have worked on Due Tomorrow a bit and I've gotten slightly better at those last measures, still not near perfect enough to pass though. One or Eight I haven't had a serious attempt at I'll try that.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
One or Eight [a] was my first 12 and continues to be the only one I've ever cleared. I can't even pass most 11s, heh.

Do many people here play Pop'n Music? I recently passed my first 41 and I was pretty happy with that :) I'm playing more Pop'n than IIDX lately because the difficulty seems to progress better. Less 'walls' where you just get stuck for ages (like the 11 wall on IIDX where I've been for like a year).

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

Fishious posted:

I've been working on 10s in that manner and can hard clear more then half of them, 11s however would be a real challenge. Many 11s I have miss counts at around 100 at best. I have worked on Due Tomorrow a bit and I've gotten slightly better at those last measures, still not near perfect enough to pass though. One or Eight I haven't had a serious attempt at I'll try that.

One or Eight 7k is a 10, according to here anyway. If it is an 11 for some reason I guess that's another one added to the tally.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dewgy posted:

If you buy an ASC for god's sake use it, haha. One of the reasons they're so expensive is because they're durable as all hell and can handle pretty much whatever you toss at them. My Ransai Pop'n ASC has seen a LOT of use, abuse, and mistreatment (like days and days in the back of my car in the summer), and it's still solid as a rock. (I mean I melted my battery holders but hey that's my own fault. :P)

I'm happy to hear that - perhaps I won't just let it be a showpiece, then. :D

Also, I'm slowly but surely adapting to two handed - my left hand's getting a far better workout now, and I'm not having any problems hitting 1, 2, 3 and the turntable with it, and even 4 here and there. Why the hell didn't I start doing two handed before? I'm blowing through stuff I couldn't even touch before, although I'm still weak as hell at fast scales and my hands every once in a while aren't where I plan on them being [pretty much the same as when I was first learning, total coordination thing] so I end up tapping between keys, on the side, etc. :doh:

I'm nearly back to where I was one handed - I can one-hand As and AAs at the 5s in Red, and right now two handed I can pretty much B or A everything. I haven't played much DistorteD lately, mostly because I deeply fear taking on the scales in Bloody Tears[n] two handed... I can one hand them really really well, but holy coordination, Batman!

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

DSMArisen posted:

One or Eight 7k is a 10, according to here anyway. If it is an 11 for some reason I guess that's another one added to the tally.

Who said One or Eight was an 11* song?

I don't know how to better phrase myself: What are you talking about?

EDIT: I get it.

He asked for an easy 12* and I mentioned One or Eight. That's where it came from.

Giudecca fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2008

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Yeah I was talking about the another, I was quoting Guidecca so I didn't specify.

And on that note the scratches kill me in One or Eight [A], I don't think it's close to being a good starter 12 for me. However I had a shot at Colors (radio mix) [A] while I was at it and for me the end of it is somewhat forgiving as long as I damage control the insane parts, I think it won't take me much work to norm clear that.

MISS WHITE LADY
Oct 9, 2004

♪ ぼくら楽しいフレンドビーくん ♪

Xythar posted:

Do many people here play Pop'n Music? I recently passed my first 41 and I was pretty happy with that :) I'm playing more Pop'n than IIDX lately because the difficulty seems to progress better. Less 'walls' where you just get stuck for ages (like the 11 wall on IIDX where I've been for like a year).
Yeah! I've turned into a pretty big Pop'n nerd lately, and I wanted to comment that it's really helped me with IIDX. I never got all that great at IIDX--struggled to pass 8s at my best, but from playing so much Pop'n it's carried over enough to make a substantial difference. After not playing IIDX in like.. five months and instead spending that time learning PNM, I tried IIDX the other night and played maybe 20 minutes. Passed Moon [A]--my first 10, which I also just passed as my first 39 on Pop'n Music.

So I guess I'm kind of inspired to pick up IIDX again. Wish we had it in an arcade nearby, but, oh well I suppose!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Moon was your first 39? Jeez. I've passed like four 41s now and I still can't clear Moon. Or at least I couldn't last time I tried.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Big bump, but I figured that anyone who watches this thread may be interested.

Activision's applied for a DJ Hero trademark. Now besides all the Guitar Freaks people complaining that RedOctane just copied Konami, now us IIDX people can too!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Baelfael posted:

Activision's applied for a DJ Hero trademark. Now besides all the Guitar Freaks people complaining that RedOctane just copied Konami, now us IIDX people can too!

Awesome. Since Konami is too incompetent to not butcher North American releases hopefully Activision can do it better.

In fact I hope they copy IIDX as closely as possible.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

Baelfael posted:

Wonderful. For every 1000 Guitar Hero casuals, ten of them are aware that Guitar Hero is not the center of the respective rhythm game universe, so to say. One of those ten actually have played an alternate rhythm game. Oh well, at least I've filled my rage quota for the day :sigh:

****Statistics out of my rear end****

that tetris guy
Mar 7, 2005

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!!

Zo posted:

Awesome. Since Konami is too incompetent to not butcher North American releases hopefully Activision can do it better.

In fact I hope they copy IIDX as closely as possible.
It'd be funny if they make something harder than Mei :v:

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

an rear end posted:

It'd be funny if they make something harder than Mei :v:

They'll make everything have binary timing, add three more turntables and 5 more buttons. The game will still be easier.

People will act just as retarded with it as they did with Guitar Hero.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah I can see them making the timing as easy as it is in Guitar Hero. Most of my friends can't comprehend having to hit a button within a few milliseconds (is it 10 or 12?) to get a perfect when they play IIDX. They just try to not get misses and don't bother with the timing.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

Feels like 8.5 ms on IIDX RED through DistorteD AC, but on the CS games and other AC games, about 10 ms.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

The reason Guitar Hero had such tremendous success is that the songs were practically ingrained in American pop culture. Beatmania US had only a handful of fringe electronic artists anyone cared to remember, and even then most of them were lovely covers.

Whatever form DJ Hero takes, it's going to need a standout tracklist that the everyman loves. Electronic - techno - is far and away the best music genre to interest people. I'm looking forward to whatever happens, and if it somehow ends up being a better game than IIDX, I'll be surprised.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

The reason Guitar Hero had such tremendous success is that the songs were practically ingrained in American pop culture. Beatmania US had only a handful of fringe electronic artists anyone cared to remember, and even then most of them were lovely covers.

Whatever form DJ Hero takes, it's going to need a standout tracklist that the everyman loves. Electronic - techno - is far and away the best music genre to interest people. I'm looking forward to whatever happens, and if it somehow ends up being a better game than IIDX, I'll be surprised.

I'm thinking 50 cent and the like would be the kinds of things that would pique the average American's interest.

:sigh:

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

DSMArisen posted:

I'm thinking 50 cent and the like would be the kinds of things that would pique the average American's interest.

:sigh:

oh hello there nightmare made flesh :suicide:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah I'm foreseeing something similar to when Beatmania was first marketed in the US as "Hiphopmania".

Also I predict you will be able to miss every fourth note and still pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Xythar posted:

Yeah I'm foreseeing something similar to when Beatmania was first marketed in the US as "Hiphopmania".

Also I predict you will be able to miss every fourth note and still pass

And no hispeed/random/etc either :downs: