Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Not commonplace, but I would not be surprised to see a higher capacity touch in response to the heavy criticism of the relatively small storage space. I think any other upgrades this soon are very unlikely.

I think we will see software updates for flash, copy/paste, etc... plus shift to 16GB/32GB for the touch from the current 8GB/16GB and 8GB/16GB option for iphone. iPhone may get more updates, but touch unlikely. Frankly, ipod touch is plenty powerful, just needs a bit more space and improved software suite/sdk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LaptopGun posted:

However I will be looking to reorder the icons and/or hiding some of them. Customize will do that on the iPod, right?

Right. Customize will do that.

And Categories will let you make "folders" of icons (but you'll have to use Customize to get them to display properly, I think).

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Did you guys know Orb works with the iPod touch now? Obviously, movie-sized videos are going to load really slowly, but after the initial download period, the playback is great. I am very impressed with the touch's functionality and with the awesomeness of Orb.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

My installed programs aren't showing anymore. Well, some of them are - I'm blaming Summerboard.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fallon posted:

My installed programs aren't showing anymore. Well, some of them are - I'm blaming Summerboard.

Do you have Customize installed?

If so, are you sure you didn't hide them in Customize? (go to manual reorder icons and see if there's an eyeball icon visible to the left of the app name).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
If Orb works, I hope that means the wizards at Slingmedia are working on a Touc/Phone version of SLingplayer. I can catch my Pats and Sox games wherever I have wifi.

I second the idea that Customize is hiding some of your icons. I accidently hid a couple of mine because it's way too easy to hit them by accident with the eyeball thingy on. By the way that's a confirm that I have used it to make it my way.

Oh how exactly does this themeing with SUmmerboard and Customize work?

soupy
Feb 20, 2007
I've been looking around on my Touch, and I can't find the VPN thing like I can on the iPhone.. Is there any way to VPN into a network with the Touch?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Luk3 posted:

Here is a sample. I can get proper G-Force readings from it, but from there I just can't seem to get acurate numbers. I calibrate the Y readings by subtracting .031250 from all cells.

The last test I did I drove up to 40km/hr and then stopped. The excel sheet came out with a top speed of 7km/hr

code:
Time            X               Y                Z
08:43:23:439	0.015625	0.015625	-0.460938
08:43:23:487	0.000000	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:531	0.000000	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:582	-0.007812	0.023438	-0.460938
08:43:23:624	-0.007812	0.023438	-0.460938
08:43:23:667	-0.007812	0.015625	-0.437500
08:43:23:816	0.000000	0.031250	-0.453125
08:43:23:904	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:938	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:974	-0.023438	0.023438	-0.445312
08:43:24:045	-0.023438	0.023438	-0.445312
08:43:24:079	-0.007812	0.031250	-0.445312
08:43:24:156	-0.007812	0.031250	-0.445312
08:43:24:191	-0.007812	0.031250	-0.445312
08:43:24:267	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.453125
08:43:24:327	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.453125
I learned that the accelerometer goes from -2 to 2 G's and the number being printed here is a percentage of that. I have formated the output to look like this.

As I was typing out the equation here that I'm using I realised that I was dividing somewhere I should be multiplying (the output from the file * 2).

I will post the excel file when I get it cleaned up.

What application are you using to log these values? I'd like my hand decifering this as well. I autocross my car so this would actually be a nifty tool.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS

Owsla posted:

I found a great, insanely fast way to add non-itunes-available cover art to my itunes library this week and I've now done 3300+ folders in 2 days with the new method, it's awesome. It takes a while to explain but it's very fast and easy in practice, bear with me here, it's worth it.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Coverflow just makes music almost more vivid now.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Mortley posted:

Did you guys know Orb works with the iPod touch now? Obviously, movie-sized videos are going to load really slowly, but after the initial download period, the playback is great. I am very impressed with the touch's functionality and with the awesomeness of Orb.

Since winamp remote is just a reskinned version of Orb (I think?), will that now work as well?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Owsla posted:

I found a great, insanely fast way to add non-itunes-available cover art to my itunes library this week and I've now done 3300+ folders in 2 days with the new method, it's awesome. It takes a while to explain but it's very fast and easy in practice, bear with me here, it's worth it.

You can actually just copy/paste from web sites, which feels faster to me. For whatever reason, on my Vista box, dragging the image from a web page to iTunes makes the system lock up for ~5 seconds. So instead I just right click on the album art, choose "Copy Image", then go to iTunes, get info on all the songs in an album, click in the Album Art box, and Control-V.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

1karus posted:

Since winamp remote is just a reskinned version of Orb (I think?), will that now work as well?

Hopefully! I haven't heard of Winamp Remote before, and while Orb's functionality is nice, the interface on laptops leaves something to be desired. It's actually nicer on my Wii and touch than on something with a fully functional browser.

After a quick visit to their web site, yeah, Winamp Remote says it's powered by Orb. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll check it out.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

soupy posted:

I've been looking around on my Touch, and I can't find the VPN thing like I can on the iPhone.. Is there any way to VPN into a network with the Touch?

IIRC, installing the mail program from the iPhone (and the requisite settings bundle) will enable the VPN settings menu in Settings->General->Network. I know for a fact I do have those options there, although I've never used them.

soupy
Feb 20, 2007

Stutes posted:

IIRC, installing the mail program from the iPhone (and the requisite settings bundle) will enable the VPN settings menu in Settings->General->Network. I know for a fact I do have those options there, although I've never used them.

Yeah, I've seen those settings in my friend's iPhone, but I was just curious if there was any way to VPN with the iPod Touch.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
VPN appears on my Touch- Jailbroken with all of the iPhone apps except Stocks- So I have to agree with the advice that VPN on the Touch requires Mail to be installed.

soupy
Feb 20, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

VPN appears on my Touch- Jailbroken with all of the iPhone apps except Stocks- So I have to agree with the advice that VPN on the Touch requires Mail to be installed.

I'll go try that, thanks!

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

whiskas posted:

What application are you using to log these values? I'd like my hand decifering this as well. I autocross my car so this would actually be a nifty tool.

AcceleroLog

I got a working excel sheet as posted a couple posts under the one you quoted: http://www.mediafire.com/?8qkvxbprjxz

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

It was just announced at Macworld that all new iPod touches will be getting all the iPhone apps (Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes..). For existing iPod touch owners, you can pay 20 bucks and get them as well.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

SuperCaptainJ posted:

It was just announced at Macworld that all new iPod touches will be getting all the iPhone apps (Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes..). For existing iPod touch owners, you can pay 20 bucks and get them as well.

Or jailbreak it for free.

I WONDER WHAT I SHOULD DO?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

SuperCaptainJ posted:

APPLE IS loving US :argh:

Oh wait I already have all those apps on my touch :iceburn:

Do you think that apple is going to make an extra effort to make 1.1.3 jailbreak proof seeing as how it has the potential of making them more money?

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

SuperCaptainJ posted:

That is just downright stupid. I'm sure a lot of people aren't gonna be too happy about the extra charge to get what new users get for free. Free jailbreak or 20 bucks, tough choice.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

whiskas posted:

Do you think that apple is going to make an extra effort to make 1.1.3 jailbreak proof seeing as how it has the potential of making them more money?

I don't know. In the press release about the SDK, they sort of pushed the "application security" angle, and at the keynote today, Jobs mentioned something about third parties submitting their code to Apple for a "security check", and distributing their apps through iTunes.

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

I'm downloading the 1.1.3 update now. I think the only app I'll miss is gpSPhone and I think I can live without it until 1.1.3 is hacked.

If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask (Incase they don't wanna upgrade for any reason)

I'll post what I think of it in a bit.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

MrMartyn posted:

I'm downloading the 1.1.3 update now. I think the only app I'll miss is gpSPhone and I think I can live without it until 1.1.3 is hacked.

If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask (Incase they don't wanna upgrade for any reason)

I'll post what I think of it in a bit.

Are you buying the applications? How does the Wi-Fi tracking work?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What I'm really interested in is, what about people that go and buy a Touch from a retail store now (or tomorrow -- i.e before they come with 1.1.3 preloaded)? Will they have to pay for the apps? Does Apple automatically track purchase dates?

Anybody want to spend $379 to answer my question? :v:

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, I think I shall. I'll do it in a few mins.

- Safria interface has been changed around
- Docks now got some fading grey back ground to it. Which I personality don't like
- Can't seem to move and icons around or add bookmarks to the home screen? Maybe thats with the new apps?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
So apparently in order to get 1.1.3 you HAVE to pay to get the new apps? I swear, if Apple double-dips and also charges us for the SDK... :argh:

:smith:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Stutes posted:

So apparently in order to get 1.1.3 you HAVE to pay to get the new apps?

From what I've read, no. You can upgrade to 1.1.3 and not get the apps.

(grain of salt)

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

Stutes posted:

So apparently in order to get 1.1.3 you HAVE to pay to get the new apps? I swear, if Apple double-dips and also charges us for the SDK... :argh:

:smith:

Nope, download the new iTunes and you can update to 1.1.3 but the apps aren't in the update. You have to go to the iTunes Store and purchase them from there. It also seems that to be able to move icons around and add bookmarks to the home screen you have to purchase the apps!

And it looks like the store "is unable to process purchases at the moment"

Edit:

- You have to pay to be about to move around the icons and bookmark to the homescreen
- Good since you have save threads or pages to the home screen and view them view your somewhere without wifi
- Don't like the grey around the dock
- Smart playlists seem to be fixed apart from top 25 most played has all the right songs in it, just not in the right order?
- Apps are the same but still good apart from Google maps
- Showing your location on maps is a great feature and seems to be very accurate

MrMartyn fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 15, 2008

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I'm also wondering if Google Maps has changed so that it caches more information than the iPhone version. If you needed Wi-Fi for it to be useful, it wouldn't be worth the purchase.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

MrMartyn posted:

- Showing your location on maps is a great feature and seems to be very accurate

It knows where you are on the map? How?
Did I misunderstand this?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Hillridge posted:

It knows where you are on the map? How?
Did I misunderstand this?

There's a database of 23 million wifi hotspots. Based on the hotspots in your area and the signal strength (distance) to them, it can estimate your current location. The more wifi hotspots in your area that are also in this database, the more accurate the locator will be.

It's similar to the technology used on the iphone, except cell phone towers are used instead of hotspots.

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

whiskas posted:

There's a database of 23 million wifi hotspots. Based on the hotspots in your area and the signal strength (distance) to them, it can estimate your current location. The more wifi hotspots in your area that are also in this database, the more accurate the locator will be.

It's similar to the technology used on the iphone, except cell phone towers are used instead of hotspots.

Surely thats not ture since its my home wifi connection? And we added the wireless router our selfs so its not like Virgin "added" us to the database.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

So apparently iTunes 7.6 supports 64-bit operating systems. Now I can install 64-bit Vista and still sync my iPod Touch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MrMartyn posted:

Surely thats not ture since its my home wifi connection? And we added the wireless router our selfs so its not like Virgin "added" us to the database.

I'm guessing he means public hotspots.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

whiskas posted:

That's so loving cool! I can't wait to try this out. That will totally be worth $20. Before anybody berates me for not jailbreaking it, I'd like to point out that having iPhone apps on your touch isn't arguably piracy any more: it is definitely piracy.

Git
Aug 21, 2004

Does anyone have lyrics working yet? Mine is sat perpetually at, "Loading Lyrics..."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Well, I waited until Macworld to buy my touch. And this is all they upgraded? Figured enough since it just came out.

So, for a future touch owner. Would there be any advantage to simply jailbreaking it compared to it being preloaded with the apps? Does jailbreaking offer any advantage or apps over the new update?If I order a touch from amazon or anywhere else would it come with all the iphone apps? Also, does anyone know if you can jailbreak the new ones?

I know it's a bit soon. But what shall I do?

Well, I guess amazon answered my question

quote:

Does not ship with the latest announced new software applications for the Touch. Software upgrades are available via iTunes for $20

Macmall doesn't mention anything about it. So, as already stated. Should I jailbreak it or wait to buy one preloaded with the apps? After reading some other forums. I guess you can't buy the new touch for another week or so. But I just read that if you purchase an "old" touch now you get the update for free?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 15, 2008

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I am not surprised at all that they are charging for it from all of the people who basically got it for Christmas. Previous customer loyalty, anyone? This isnt the same order of magnitude as the iPhone price drop, but it is annoying nonetheless. I'll stick with mine the way I have it, but just remember I got mine REPLACED last week. I wonder what would have happened if I had waited a week to replace my Touch. Would the replacement have had the apps?

I'd be curious to see if Apple will charge for the forthcomming SDK, too.

Linkletter posted:

So apparently iTunes 7.6 supports 64-bit operating systems. Now I can install 64-bit Vista and still sync my iPod Touch.

:iia: Oh wait that's just 64 bit Vista according to Apple. Crap. :sigh: This is what I get for using XP x64.

Edit:

Christoff posted:

Buying a Touch Questions.

You posted while I posted. I did some research and believe I have an answer. Apple released a new version of the user Manual today to cover the new apps. There is a very suggestive image in it (and no, I don't mean a scantily clad young woman- though I wouldn't mind that...) on page 7:

Firmware 1.1.3 (with software update)

It shows an iTunes screen with a Touch connected with the above listed in the version display. That tells me that they released it without the apps by default. For new iPods they are installed seperately. I can't tell you how long Apple has been doing it, but suffice to say wait a week or two or only buy from Apple.

I guess we know wh y there was a minor price reduction on the Touch in recent weeks- clear the inventory of those not with the "bonus" apps installed.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong, whenever I have wifi on, my battery life just goes to poo poo. From a full charge, I can drop down to 3/4's full in about 45 minutes. Does the wifi really use that much power?

• Locked thread