Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
UFO shows are the goddamn worst on Discovery or History Channel or anything that is supposed to be educational. The best is they'll always put the persons title up when they interview some guy. So if they're talking to some guy about the Crusades they will be like:

David Blithe - PHD Cambridge

Except when its a UFO show it will just be something like:

Karl Anderson - UFO Enthusiast

Also as far as "jesus fest" on History Channel some of those shows can be pretty interesting. I will have to be on the lookout for Stalin's Army Apes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Free Market Gravy posted:

If all he steals is some DVDs or whatever, then yeah, I agree, but often he was stealing lots of jewelery, sometimes a car/motorcycle, etc. I think that makes it a felony or grand larceny as opposed to just theft or robbery.

He did have some nice scores, but I still think that cops don't go all out for stuff on the level he was doing. That's a lot of time and effort to invest, even the times where he makes off with a car and a big pile of jewelry.

I'd love to think that if someone broke into my apartment and jacked thousands of dollars of electronics and stole my car, that David Caruso would stick his head in the door, scream YEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH and take a bunch of prints, but in reality it's more like "well we'll let you know if we come across any of your poo poo ok bye."

But yeah, if they do new episodes, they probably should address this. I get the impression he was just doing exactly what he did as a burgler, hamming it up a bit with his commentary of course, but other than that I don't see why they'd change anything.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

IRQ posted:

He did have some nice scores, but I still think that cops don't go all out for stuff on the level he was doing. That's a lot of time and effort to invest, even the times where he makes off with a car and a big pile of jewelry.

I'd love to think that if someone broke into my apartment and jacked thousands of dollars of electronics and stole my car, that David Caruso would stick his head in the door, scream YEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH and take a bunch of prints, but in reality it's more like "well we'll let you know if we come across any of your poo poo ok bye."

But yeah, if they do new episodes, they probably should address this. I get the impression he was just doing exactly what he did as a burgler, hamming it up a bit with his commentary of course, but other than that I don't see why they'd change anything.
Think about how hard it would be to get a clean print out of something like a house, unless there's something like a just washed glass that he used or something equally stupid by the crook any object will have 80-1 prints of you/friends/family/pets/everything else vs. the criminal that would need to be filtered out. And if the thief doesn't have prints on record or was someone you know it would be pretty much worthless.

The viciousness of things he did was the culture shock that sold the show to me, plus the service of letting people know how worthless their annoying "guard dogs" are.

On the Discovery channel(s), shouldn't they have a massive library of their old shows? I'd prefer seeing stuff from the 90's over a lot of the non-science stuff that they've been running. Just put a disclaimer on topics that are outdated, or a date of initial running.

keeper fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 6, 2008

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

keeper posted:

Think about how hard it would be to get a clean print out of something like a house, unless there's something like a just washed glass that he used or something equally stupid by the crook any object will have 80-1 prints of you/friends/family/pets/everything else vs. the criminal that would need to be filtered out. And if the thief doesn't have prints on record or was someone you know it would be pretty much worthless.

The viciousness of things he did was the culture shock that sold the show to me, plus the service of letting people know how worthless their annoying "guard dogs" are.

On the Discovery channel(s), shouldn't they have a massive library of their old shows? I'd prefer seeing stuff from the 90's over a lot of the non-science stuff that they've been running. Just put a disclaimer on topics that are outdated, or a date of initial running.

Eh, I dunno, it be kind of boring to watch a "Beyond 2000" story about how AOL will take us to new levels of communication as they expand the internet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

keeper posted:

That was more or less my point, yeah. And the dogs are always funny. People don't seem to get that unless you train your dog to be a jerk or you're there panicking, all it'll do is wag its tail for the robber. :3:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They need to bring Wild Discovery back. I still remember the theme! Do-do-DO! Wiild. I watched the poo poo out of that show as a kid. Also bring back Connections, even though that was more a TLC thing I suppose, and that Arthur C. Clarke show about weird stuff.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Demented Footstool posted:

The show was called Junkyard Wars. It was pretty good with the original hosts, but the newer hosts seemed to take some of the fun of the show away.

I've seen the episodes occasionally re-run on Discovery.

Junkyard Wars was a really awesome show until it became really obvious that they were planting stuff in the junkyard for the teams to use. I remember one episode where they were building a glider (I think), and one team couldn't find anything to use for the wings, so they built the frame for them anyway and decided that they'd find some cloth or something later. 20 minutes left on the clock, and the other team's done - but Team B still can't find a wing material! They looked around for a little bit, and opened up the trunk of a car, and found a brand new roll of mylar inside. It's a miracle!

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

The Human Cow posted:

Junkyard Wars was a really awesome show until it became really obvious that they were planting stuff in the junkyard for the teams to use. I remember one episode where they were building a glider (I think), and one team couldn't find anything to use for the wings, so they built the frame for them anyway and decided that they'd find some cloth or something later. 20 minutes left on the clock, and the other team's done - but Team B still can't find a wing material! They looked around for a little bit, and opened up the trunk of a car, and found a brand new roll of mylar inside. It's a miracle!

The producers did seed the junkyard. From http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/junkyard-wars.htm/printable

HowStuffWorks.com posted:

Based on input from the experts, the producer may decide to "seed" the junkyard with specific items. For the most part, the contestants have to work with whatever the junkyard workers happen to dump on the set (the set is indeed a real junkyard -- or at least a piece of one -- located in Los Angeles, California). This includes flattened cars, stacks of wood (mostly old concrete forms), plumbing fixtures, wire rope, HVAC equipment, electrical conduit and various discarded machines full of gears and bearings. But the producers may decide that the teams can't realistically build some machines in 10 hours without particular components.

The seeded items are old salvage material, just like everything else, and the producers mix them in with the rest of the junk. The producers will also provide some select new items to ensure the machines are relatively safe. It can be very dangerous to outfit a machine with some older equipment, such as safety valves and busted hydraulic hoses, so the producers amend the spirit of the game a little to keep people from getting hurt. The producers may also remove certain items from the junkyard if those pieces would make the challenge too simple.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

When the hell did they change the narrator on How It's Made? That show was already a well-oiled machine, and I don't like change :mad:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Kentucky Shark posted:

When the hell did they change the narrator on How It's Made? That show was already a well-oiled machine, and I don't like change :mad:

My thoughts exactly. I thought for a moment that it was Discovery's knock-off version until I saw the title bumper before a commercial break.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
They've changed VA people more than once. The first season had Mark Tewksbury (as well as introducing the segments in front of the camera). For a couple seasons, the voice-over was done by the weather person at the local CTV station here.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What the need to do is replace who ever does the music for that show. If they did that, the editing would follow suit. Haven't heard the new voice yet so it is hard to say one way or another what to do about it. All I know is that the show is an interesting concept that bores the HELL out of me for some reason. Modern Marvels very often does segments in their shows very similar to How it's Made and they do it in a much more interesting way.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

The Dark One posted:

They've changed VA people more than once. The first season had Mark Tewksbury (as well as introducing the segments in front of the camera). For a couple seasons, the voice-over was done by the weather person at the local CTV station here.

All I've ever known is Brooks Moore, so this news is fascinating to me.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

IRQ posted:

That was more or less my point, yeah. And the dogs are always funny. People don't seem to get that unless you train your dog to be a jerk or you're there panicking, all it'll do is wag its tail for the robber. :3:

I remember one episode where he actually robbed a police station. He even got into the evidence locker.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Looks like they're showing a few new Mythbusters episodes now. The James Bond special is this week - there is a Macgyver special too, but I'm not sure when that is airing.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

4 minutes in and Smash Lab already is everything I feared it would be: Mythbusters with the Mythbusters gone, the Build Team XTREME and IN YOUR FACE and basically all the actual science either removed or mentioned as an afterthought in order to give more time to "HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS EXPLOSION BIGGER? :downs:"

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Smash Lab is a trashy version of MythBusters. Every time one of them stated a "hypothesis", I felt, in some way, offended. A lot of the hosts' chattering sounded like grade school children bickering over how strong their favorite comic book super hero is. It also seemed like they forced big words into the dialog because they wanted to sound smart. Lastly, the entire premise of their test was flawed from inception. There is a lack of forethought evident throughout.

Smash Lab is an Absolutely awful show.

XK fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 17, 2008

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I watched the first five or ten minutes of it, and I noticed they repeated things. The diagram of the cars running into each other with the voice telling us what's going to happen. Then the scientist woman telling us what is going to happen while showing the diagram. Then a review of diagram and what is going to happen after they set it up on that runway thing.

The Mythbusters today was good though. Watching the bullet go head over heals in the new super duper high speed camera was spectacular.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Smash Lab is what I imagine would come if Fox tried to make a show to compete with Mythbusters. It's amazing how wrongheaded it is.

Their hosts are completely nondescript. Catching their first names is hard enough, but why are they hosts. If they're simply the next in line in the host pool (like Junkyard Wars), they better have charisma. If they're brought in as authorities, like Adam and Jamie, they better have some cachet for why they're there. These guys are "scientist", "engineer", and "smarty" but I've got a real feeling that they're "scientists" like Kynt and Vyxsin were "dating". At least throw up some bona fides or get some hosts that can hold my attention. I feel better listening to Tory and Kari about setups than these guys and it's about their charisma shining through the badly delivered banter.

Second, the editing and camera work is pure Fox. They've got four minutes of footage and so they edit the gently caress out of it, showing it a dozen times, and try and stretch it. Rather than the Mythbuster's rather economical 1) one shot just up until the explosion before the commercial break 2) explosion 3) explosion normal slow speed 4) explosion on high speed camera, Smash Lab is loving over and over and over like a Zapruder film so I'm relieved when I finally see a result because it's been blue balled over and over that I don't appreciate what it is they're doing, I'm just happy its over and they can blue ball on the next setup.

Also, Mythbusters tackled the rather sticky problem of how to dress up boring setups. The blueprint writing, silly animations, and rather exuberant hosts (I can't believe how lucky they were to land Adam right out of the gate) all make those sections of the show unmissable. Without it, you'd just tape Mythbusters and fast forward to the end. At least the journey is watchable. This show, they crowd around a laptop and watch the footage that just got played for us full screen. The camera is moving and focusing around them watching a video on a laptop, just filling time. They're "better" actors than the Mythbusters crew but not good actors, so watching they chew through their "smart banter" doesn't even have the fun-bad charm that the other show has, so it's like youtube-level of engaging science programming.

And the final, and most unforgivable problem is the basic idea. Who is this show for? Mythbusters is engaging for the very reason that it was originally started to tackle myths and movie-tainted logic. It's the kind of thing anyone could possibly know and, after seeing it, anyone could put in their knowledge base and enjoy having seen an episode of. You could see a movie gunfight and :colbert: that guns don't really toss people around or regard a water heater as the sleeper cell amateur rocket that it really is.

This show is about tackling things to make the world safer. Who is this show going to interest, NTSB nerds who are looking for inspiration to fill up the suggestion box? If the results of the first show weren't huge failures (and their level of conceptualizing and sanity checking their ideas was terrible) what do you walk away with? "Well, that's a neat idea. I wonder if anyone involved in highway median design is working on this?". How is a spectacular victory of an episode going to end? "We proved conclusively that this ___ stopped ___ right in its tracks. So...er...write your congressman and tell em you saw it work on the teevee". This show is for nobody and I'm wondering if the only thing of interest will be fast forwarding to whatever they're "smashing". Of course, they'd be competing with reruns of Fox's America's Smashiest Police Videos.

I should also comment that this whole thing kind of made my head hurt. While the upright barrier idea was obviously going to be a failure on G forces (if you stop it in a few feet of material, the G forces will be huge obviously), at least it fit the premise of being a stopping material in a median. The second example had hundreds of feet of material, which last I checked a football field of space wasn't present in a highway median. The first round of tests couldn't have been more than 50-60° so there's no way they'd have that much runway. And their technical expert, off the cuff, told them exactly how wrongheaded they were. The whole thing is about PSI, which a huge plane supported by three small points differs greatly from a light car and four relatively huge tires. They also tested on small open aired cubes which will crush more easily because there's no pressure on the sides to keep them from flattening instead of crushing.

What a horrible show and possibly Discovery's worst. Has there been a worse Discovery channel original show? Entertainment-wise or science-wise?

Trotsky1940
Sep 18, 2006
That's really funny you guys are saying that this show is Mythbusters without the Mythbusters, I kept talking over the show to my wife in "Jamie voice" about how the bus should be equipped to explode at the end. It did just seem like a cheap ripoff without the elements that make Mythbusters truly awesome: Jamie and Adam.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ape Agitator posted:

What a horrible show and possibly Discovery's worst. Has there been a worse Discovery channel original show? Entertainment-wise or science-wise?

While they run them on TLC, Discovery is responsible for the City Ink shows. So yes, there is something worse.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

Smash Lab is what I imagine would come if Fox tried to make a show to compete with Mythbusters. It's amazing how wrongheaded it is.

The best description of the show possible, right here. This show would fit in great on Fox or Spike TV alongside their Mythbusters ripoff "Manswers."

quote:

Science-wise, a case can be made for The Haunting since there's really no scientific content at all in it. Also, Hazard Pay loving sucked and I'd watch 10 episodes of Smash Lab back to back than 1 of Hazard Pay, but this show's very close to the bottom of the barrel.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Hey, at least you guys don't have Criss Angel :rock: MINDFREAK :rock: on Discovery in the US.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ape Agitator posted:

I should also comment that this whole thing kind of made my head hurt. While the upright barrier idea was obviously going to be a failure on G forces (if you stop it in a few feet of material, the G forces will be huge obviously), at least it fit the premise of being a stopping material in a median.

This was actually one of the things that bothered me the most about the barrier test. They added the crushable concrete onto a median barrier in an attempt to make...a median barrier. How stupid can you be? The original stock barrier they started with has been highly engineered, a design refined over decades to keep cars in their own lanes, the specific shape created to deflect vehicles away by gently nudging the tires first, direct impact forces upward, and prevent anything from riding over the top. If you place them properly, no car will ever slam into them at 65 mph, they will be side-swiped at very shallow angles. For high-angle, high-energy impacts, they already have both water filled, and mechanically collapsing impact barriers. These chuckle fucks actually made the original barrier worse by slapping crumbly poo poo onto it that ramps cars through the air like stunt machines. Even in their contrived scenario, if it worked, you still shower the opposing traffic with a thick, blinding cloud of concrete debris. Did they even consider how much it would cost to line highways with 3 foot thick blocks of a specially made proprietary concrete? The entire ordeal was simply embarrassing.

To top it all off, the only smashing they did was driving a few cars into each other. I can see that poo poo on loving SpikeTV. I'm enjoying tearing this show apart way too much.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I fell asleep last night during the middle of the Mythbusters James Bond special, so I caught the rest of it tonight. It was sort of underwhelming, they only did three myths - does the magnet watch really deflect a bullet, will shooting a propane cylinder blow it up, and can they recreate the jump from Live and Let Die.

The boat "myth" wasn't really all that interesting to me, because they actually did it for the movie (I think they set a world record too), so I knew it was possible. It was cool seeing them remote control something different.

If anyone's curious, I'm 90% sure that the minigun they used was provided by Dillon Aero. They censored Kari saying the company name on the show, probably to keep the "super secret location since this is highly illegal in California" thing going.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

I fell asleep last night during the middle of the Mythbusters James Bond special, so I caught the rest of it tonight. It was sort of underwhelming, they only did three myths - does the magnet watch really deflect a bullet, will shooting a propane cylinder blow it up, and can they recreate the jump from Live and Let Die.

The boat "myth" wasn't really all that interesting to me, because they actually did it for the movie (I think they set a world record too), so I knew it was possible. It was cool seeing them remote control something different.

If anyone's curious, I'm 90% sure that the minigun they used was provided by Dillon Aero. They censored Kari saying the company name on the show, probably to keep the "super secret location since this is highly illegal in California" thing going.

I'm pretty sure they went to Nevada to do the minigum thing. No way would such a conservative* network air them blatantly breaking the law.

*they blur every logo possible, always get permits and insurance etc etc.

I don't think they explained this though, why was the bullet tumbling? Was it the magnets or did it hit something before it passed over the magnets. If it was tumbling solely because of the magnets, they forgot to explain something very-to me anyway-amazing.

I hope part 2 is a little more interesting.

Also, I just watched the Smash Lab with the truck bed liner stuff. drat what a boring inconsequential show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

XK posted:

To top it all off, the only smashing they did was driving a few cars into each other. I can see that poo poo on loving SpikeTV. I'm enjoying tearing this show apart way too much.

It looked to me like they "smashed" an enormous amount of money as well. Money that could have gone to actually good shows. :(

asspennies
Jul 23, 2002

Why, creating a mechanical British servant is no more eccentric than that tie you're wearing!
I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of Smash Lab. It was terrible.

One thing that I've always liked about Mythbusters was that the hosts actually do a lot of work. They actually build their devices. It looks like smash lab is just a group of pretty people who read from a script.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Let's recap the truckbed spray episode:

They blow up a truck bed with the spray with the stuff on it and determine it can withstand a blast. So they blow up a brick wall with the stuff on it and it doesn't really work. They do it two more times, but unlike MB, where repetitious scale tests are usually shown in light montage to prevent monotony, they show us all three with their hilariously obvious results. (They still crumble.)

At this point, it becomes evident that the show doesn't have enough content to fill the hour, so instead of finding another topic entirely, they decide to OBSESS over the idea of preventing the windows from shattering... by using the spray stuff. They are trying to prevent glass... from breaking, due to A BOMB GOING OFF, using TRUCK BED SPRAY, that couldn't prevent CEMENT BRICKS FROM CRUMBLING WHEN IT WAS DIRECTLY APPLIED. They fill up a huge amount of time on these horrible devices that no sane person would put on any window, and what do you know they don't really work! Welp, better use one in the full test.

Full test? We're going to blow up a building coated in the stuff! Except, we don't have time to build a real building, so four oversized versions of the cement block walls from earlier will have to do! Yeah we know it barely worked on the scale test and that four cement walls with a half rear end roof isn't really a "building "but hey, we're blowing poo poo up right guys?!

Now for the test. The point of this episode is to determine whether this spray can prevent damage to a building from an explosive device. On top of that, we've added window guards made of the stuff to prevent deadly glass shards. To test this hypothesis we have opted not to included any way of measuring the damage after the bomb goes off. Additionally, the bomb will be made highly direction for the utmost unrealism.

KABLAM!

Welp, looks like the wall crumbled a bit so this half assed structure has not been deemed safe enough to go in! We see glass on the inside so the window guards failed like we all knew they would but we didn't include anyway to measure the deadliness of flying debris and glass on our human analogue so it doesn't matter anyway! Gnight folks! :v:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Let's recap the truckbed spray episode: Failure

I didn't see this episode, but these people must be incredibly incompetent. Bed liner is used by the US Government and Armed Forces for blast protection, and has been for years.

http://www.paxcon.com/

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Let's recap the truckbed spray episode:

Smash Lab posted:

BUY SOME RHINO LINER

There ya go.

I kept thinking "this is almost an infomercial the way they keep tossing the product name around". I watched it for about ten minutes, thinking "this is WAAY too obviously scripted", fast-forwarded to the end, and didn't see anything worthwhile. I don't think I'll be recording or watching it again.

mrbill fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 19, 2008

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Why does every fighting show have running as training? I want to see drills specific to the game or art. Running will help you in any physical endeavor. These participants are athletes. They can already loving run. Tell the people they are training with to stop making them run, or at least don't show that part.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Eunabomber posted:

I'm pretty sure they went to Nevada to do the minigum thing. No way would such a conservative* network air them blatantly breaking the law.

*they blur every logo possible, always get permits and insurance etc etc.

I don't think they explained this though, why was the bullet tumbling? Was it the magnets or did it hit something before it passed over the magnets. If it was tumbling solely because of the magnets, they forgot to explain something very-to me anyway-amazing.

I don’t even see how that worked at all. Unless they changed the rounds out for something with out telling us, because lead isn’t ferromagnetic.

As for the propane tank thing. Shooting it normally wont do anything, but if you set a road flare up a few feet from it you get some nice fire works.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Science-wise, Man vs. Wild is worse because of all the terrible advice he gives and dumb poo poo he does (plus it may or may not be fake). You can really tell they just want it to be dramatic and entertaining and don't care about showing actual survival.

Entertainment-wise, Weapon Masters is worse because the host is hideous. Plus American Chopper because of all the bullshit drama.

But yeah, Smash Lab is pretty terrible.

Kentucky Shark posted:

I like that show better when I mute it and don't watch the lead-ins and then try to figure out what the hell they're making.

But yeah, the old narrator was better. The show is strangely hypnotic, but less so now because of the new narrator.

The Dark One posted:

Hey, at least you guys don't have Criss Angel :rock: MINDFREAK :rock: on Discovery in the US.

I watched Mindfreak a couple times, and while Criss Angel is a pretentious douche and the theme song makes My Chemical Romance look like Vivaldi, it was oddly entertaining. He does some pretty neat stuff, like sticking his hand through that guy's stomach.

One thing that annoyed me about the new Mythbusters is that Adam would've had a much easier time with the scale RC boat test if they'd have done it in a pool or something bigger. The only reason he had such a difficult time controlling was because the wake of the boat was deflecting off the side of the rig and then hitting the boat.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 19, 2008

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Electric Hobo posted:

Science-wise, Man vs. Wild is worse because of all the terrible advice he gives and dumb poo poo he does (plus it may or may not be fake). You can really tell they just want it to be dramatic and entertaining and don't care about showing actual survival.

Entertainment-wise, Weapon Masters is worse because the host is hideous. Plus American Chopper because of all the bullshit drama.

But yeah, Smash Lab is pretty terrible.

Oh come on, Man v Wild and Weapon Masters are way better than this poo poo.

Yes Man v Wild is unabashed entertainment driven by ridiculous stunts, but if you watched it and saw anything else, even before the "scandal" you were retarded. Weapon Masters is a cheesy albeit roughly equal knockoff of a History Channel show and isn't that horrid.

Neither channel is about science at this point, and hasn't been for a few years. But I can honestly say that Smash Lab (having only seen the concrete arrester bed episode) is the most crap show any of the sciencey networks have shat out (or at least on par with (*City* Ink, and *car human being extraviganza #47*). Worse even than the UFO/Bigfoot/Nessy shows. They are just that horrid.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 19, 2008

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

IRQ posted:

Oh come on, Man v Wild and Weapon Masters are way better than this poo poo.

I only say Man vs. Wild is worse science-wise because someone might actually listen to some of his advice or try to do what he did in a certain situation and get themselves hurt or killed, since it is purported as a "survival" show. I didn't realize it was possibly fake until I read about it, but just watching a few episodes I realized he does a lot of stupid and possibly dangerous poo poo.

Weapon Masters may be better, I turned it off after 5 minutes because the host is like battery acid in my eyes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Electric Hobo posted:

I only say Man vs. Wild is worse science-wise because someone might actually listen to some of his advice or try to do what he did in a certain situation and get themselves hurt or killed

This hypothetical person would have to be retarded though. What Bear does is obviously expert stuff, and is usually precluded by a disclaimer. It was obvious to me that it was fake, because I watch these channels a lot, but could fool/anger people. And even then, a normal person wouldn't think that they could do the stuff he does, which obviously requires peak physical conditioning. That is, I can watch Bear scale a rock, but my fat american rear end is going to take the elevator when encountered with this poo poo.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 19, 2008

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

IRQ posted:

This hypothetical person would have to be retarded though. What Bear does is obviously expert stuff, and is usually precluded by a disclaimer. It was obvious to me that it was fake, because I watch these channels a lot, but could fool/anger people. And even then, a normal person wouldn't think that they could do the stuff he does, which obviously requires peak physical conditioning. That is, I can watch Bear scale a rock, but my fat american rear end is going to take the elevator when encountered with this poo poo.

I don't mean the really dramatic stuff, I mean stuff like taking off all his clothes after he fell into freezing water, or eating meat raw from a dead carcass. That's stuff that a normal person could think is genuine advice and could end up in more trouble than they're already in.

Also, someone who is really lost and thinking about how to survive or find their way back is probably going to be pretty desperate, and might do things they wouldn't normally do. Some of the crazier stuff he does on the show might start to seem like an option to them. It's just really irresponsible to be giving such bad advice on a show that's based around survival. It's not like he's giving people bad advice on how to bake a cake.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Electric Hobo posted:

stuff

The larger point is that Bear at least, these days, doesn't physically go to a point where you would think that you could do what he does.

At the same time as his show, Mythbusters is running a bunch of poo poo where they try to deflect a 9mil bullet with a magnetic watch, despite the undeniable fact that lead IS NOT FERROMAGNETIC, meaning that magnetism has no effect at all whatsoever upon lead bullets. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

IRQ posted:

At the same time as his show, Mythbusters is running a bunch of poo poo where they try to deflect a 9mil bullet with a magnetic watch, despite the undeniable fact that lead IS NOT FERROMAGNETIC, meaning that magnetism has no effect at all whatsoever upon lead bullets. :argh:

They used custom made steel bullets. One of them made a passing comment about them using steel bullets, but the footage of them actually making the bullets got cut out apparently.

http://forum.mythbustersfanclub.com/index.php/topic,11552.0.html scroll down to the post(s) by alwaysjust1*, who is Lt. Alan Normandy.

Alan Normandy posted:

The manufacturing of the steel bullets ended up on the floor. Rob Lee just made a passing comment about "steel bullets," when they got to the range.

As to the bullet's tumbling, magnetic force alone may not have caused it; nor does tumbling automatically mean the lack of linear rotational force. Bullets can tumble, pitch and yaw depending on barrel and crown condition and maintain some spin (like an ugly football pass).

Also, the barrel we used was worn well beyond normal service at the onset. Each shot made the barrel conditions worse. The tumbling also could have been caused by one bullet having been machined just a tad too small - thus, not engaging the lands and grooves at all - and never having imparted any spin, as noted...

Myth still busted, though.

The boat myth was kinda dumb, because they actually did that jump when filming the movie and set a world record (which someone may have already mentioned). Plus people jump boats off ramps all the time at stunt shows at such. I think they just really wanted an excuse to jump a boat.

It definitely wasn't their best show.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 19, 2008

• Locked thread