Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
What's the best place to get video cables for the Touch? I can't believe they retail for fifty bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

Captain Cool posted:

What's the best place to get video cables for the Touch? I can't believe they retail for fifty bucks.

Didn't Apple lock it down so they have to be Apple cables or Apple certified now? I thought that was a post-5GiPod thing.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

pearofducks posted:

Didn't Apple lock it down so they have to be Apple cables or Apple certified now? I thought that was a post-5GiPod thing.
Wow, drat, I hadn't heard about that. Guess I have to keep running it through a computer. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/apple-composite-av-cable-ipod-iphone/

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
What's a good application to automatically scan your music directory and update the iTunes library? I have a lot of music that I am re-organizing and having to manually remove and add each thing in iTunes sucks.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Hillridge posted:

What's a good application to automatically scan your music directory and update the iTunes library? I have a lot of music that I am re-organizing and having to manually remove and add each thing in iTunes sucks.

I use FixTunes, It's awesome. It's not free though, although the amount of music I've accumulated i thought it's ease of use was well worth it. Most of the free ones i found were flaky.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Engadget thinks people who bought after 1/1 could get their $20 back.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/ipod-touch-users-if-you-bought-after-jan-1-the-new-apps-are-fre/

I bought mine at Best Buy last weekend. I wonder how I would go about trying this? I'd imagine Best Buy wouldn't do anything but would an Apple store honor a Best Buy receipt?

EDIT: While I'm here, it really feels like my battery sucks. I've just let it sit on the table (not doing anything) for a few hours and the battery is half drained. Should I return it or is this to be expected without turning off WiFi or something I dont know about?

Zero One fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 18, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zero One posted:

and some people at ipodtouchfans (admittedly, most people there are morons) claim they were told the magic date was 12/27. :iiam:

quote:

I bought mine at Best Buy last weekend. I wonder how I would go about trying this? I'd imagine Best Buy wouldn't do anything but would an Apple store honor a Best Buy receipt?[/quote[

Wait until it's near 30 days from purchase, then return it to Best Buy (for a refund, not an exchange). After that, buy a new one and get your apps free.

[quote]EDIT: While I'm here, it really feels like my battery sucks. I've just let it sit on the table (not doing anything) for a few hours and the battery is half drained. Should I return it or is this to be expected without turning off WiFi or something I dont know about?

Is it jailbroken? If so, do you have SSH on?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Zero One posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/ipod-touch-users-if-you-bought-after-jan-1-the-new-apps-are-fre/

I bought mine at Best Buy last weekend. I wonder how I would go about trying this? I'd imagine Best Buy wouldn't do anything but would an Apple store honor a Best Buy receipt?

EDIT: While I'm here, it really feels like my battery sucks. I've just let it sit on the table (not doing anything) for a few hours and the battery is half drained. Should I return it or is this to be expected without turning off WiFi or something I dont know about?

I would like to know about this if it happens. I just bought one at Best Buy last night and put all the programs on. Mail is awesome. If I can get my $20 back I can just dump that into something really useful and fun.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

and some people at ipodtouchfans (admittedly, most people there are morons) claim they were told the magic date was 12/27. :iiam:
God that forum is painful to read, but I don't know of any others to find out about new applications.

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble with the Wifi, though I don't know if the problem is the Touch or my router. I've tried DHCP and Static IP on the Touch, but I seem to be able to get a connection from my wireless access point in short bursts, then it disappears again, then comes back, etc. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

It used to do that, then I remember doing something that made it work perfectly for a while, but I forget what. :(

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ive got the same problem with my touch. It was jailbroken but I install 1.1.3 and the apps on it ( without restoring it). Could it be possible that its still running because I believe that all the folders and apps are still left on the iPod you just can't see them or something? How could I go about switch it off?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I know there are 3rd party applications, but my iTouch is showing NO album artwork at all. All the songs on my iTouch are actually from my own CDs that I ripped to my computer a long time ago. What gives? Am I doing something wrong? :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

VibrioCholera posted:

I know there are 3rd party applications, but my iTouch is showing NO album artwork at all. All the songs on my iTouch are actually from my own CDs that I ripped to my computer a long time ago. What gives? Am I doing something wrong? :(
Assuming the CDs aren't too obscure, go into iTunes, highlight all your songs, right-click, and select the option to search for album artwork. That should hopefully get most of them for you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So no one has really mentioned whether you should get a touch now or in a little bit. And also they may reimburse you if you buy one that doesn't come preloaded with the apps? From what I understand you can only get one preloaded with apps from apple for now.

I mean, is there any benefit to jailbreaking? Is there anything else you can do besides those 5 apps? And even then I'm sure someone will jailbreak the new patch and apps.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

Christoff posted:

I mean, is there any benefit to jailbreaking? Is there anything else you can do besides those 5 apps? And even then I'm sure someone will jailbreak the new patch and apps.

Oh yeah, there's tons of stuff you can install once you jailbreak the touch including an NES emulator, calculator programs as well as older iPhone versions of the new 1.1.3 apps. You can even setup ScummVM and play Monkey Island :D

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Christoff posted:

So no one has really mentioned whether you should get a touch now or in a little bit. And also they may reimburse you if you buy one that doesn't come preloaded with the apps? From what I understand you can only get one preloaded with apps from apple for now.

I just got off the phone with Apple support, and here's what I got (again, just what happened to me, not an official statement):

The person I talked to had never heard of any reimbursement, and neither had their supervisor.

What they did say was, if your Touch has a model number that starts with "MA", you would have to buy the apps. If the model number starts with "MB", the apps are free (but you still have to update to get them). Maybe that info could help people with third-party purchases.

quote:

Off the top of my head, here are some things available to a jailbroken Touch that aren't available from an "official" one:

* Between the Customize and SummerBoard apps, you can change icons, wallpapers, which icons are shown, and the number of icons in the dock.

* The Category app lets you group app icons into categories, or "folders" if you like. This, in conjunction with Customize's 'Hide Icon' feature lets you reduce a lot of screen clutter.

* Internet radio - AudioScrobbler lets you access your last.fm account, and listen to last.fm stations. In addition, the beta iRadio app lets you listen to Shoutcast radio stations (from a predetermined list).

* Regular-type games - Things like Backgammon, Solitaire, Blackjack, etc. are available as Jailbreak apps. Also another neat thing called iPhysics which uses the accelorometer to let you do 'sandbox' things with drawn shapes (have them tumble and whatnot). There is also a pinball game based on the iPhysics app available.

* Emulators - There are emulators for NES, GBA, and PSX available, as well as some ROMs.

* eBooks - lets you read books on your Touch that others have converted to whatever type of format. Not many books available currently.

* HP calculator emulators. Turn your Touch into an "old-school" HP calculator (11-C through 16-C).

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Christoff posted:

I can't answer the first part, but Jailbreaking allows you to install many (hundreds?) of third party applications. Well worth it in my opinion.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

tropical posted:

Oh yeah, there's tons of stuff you can install once you jailbreak the touch including an NES emulator, calculator programs as well as older iPhone versions of the new 1.1.3 apps. You can even setup ScummVM and play Monkey Island :D

Hrm, but what about comparing the jailbroken apps to getting them from Apple? I hear small things like differences in the browser and better google maps? But as said someone will probably just jailbreak the new apps or somehow make them free to get in addition to the other cool apps you can get with jailbreaking.

Welp, after reading the responses I missed I'm definitely sold on jailbreaking. But you can't update to the new patch though, correct? Do you guys think it will be soon that you can update to the new patch with all your jailbroken features? Or do you lose all your apps and such?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Currently, you cannot jailbreak firmware 1.1.3. That means if you go to 1.1.3, you lose use of all the jailbreak apps. I've heard it took about two weeks to figure out how to jailbreak 1.1.1, and 1.1.2 came quicker (because it was available before release?). Who knows with this release (especially since early info seems to point to a DRM-type "authorization" code for apps).

As far as the five iPhone apps go, if you run a jailbroken 1.1.2, you can get the iPhone apps as they were before Tuesday. So the only "upgrade" to those apps is the fact that the Google maps app now has the "locate me now" feature.

Also, of course, if you stay with a jailbroken 1.1.2, you don't get the changes to Safari (as far as I know, it's only cosmetic, with some icons changing place on the screen), and you won't get the "webclips" ability or the "move the jiggling icons and make new pages" ability. Note that the last one is fairly moot, because you can modify your UI (including multiple pages) on a jailbroken Touch using SummerBoard and Customize.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes and... yes.

I thought I had SSH off, but I just checked and it was on. I'll let it sit again and re-evaluate the battery. Thanks for making me check, though. Does any of the jailbroken apps make the battery drain faster that I should know about (I mean like SSH, or the default things you have when you first jailbreak, I understand all the apps are different)?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

* eBooks - lets you read books on your Touch that others have converted to whatever type of format. Not many books available currently.

It uses plain text formats like .htm and .txt. Just put them in /var/root/media/ebooks/bookname and split them up into a few smaller chunks so they don't take so long to load in the reader. I've read a few books this way, it's really handy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuna posted:

It uses plain text formats like .htm and .txt. Just put them in /var/root/media/ebooks/bookname and split them up into a few smaller chunks so they don't take so long to load in the reader. I've read a few books this way, it's really handy.
What's the difference between the eBook reader, and just opening a text file in the TextEdit app or have .htm files from an iTouch Apache Webserver?

And argh, I'm getting angrier at my wifi thingie by the day. :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What they did say was, if your Touch has a model number that starts with "MA", you would have to buy the apps. If the model number starts with "MB", the apps are free (but you still have to update to get them). Maybe that info could help people with third-party purchases.

Mine doesn't start with either of those, it's A1*** something. :psyduck:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Upon further review, my battery is feeling much better now without SSH. Thanks again.

quote:

Mine doesn't start with either of those, it's A1*** something.

Mine is 1A###...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh, well, I guess that idea is scratched. Although, at first, the girl at Apple wasn't sure where the "A" was in the model number, then she read mine off (MA627LL) and said it must be the second. (Mine is a 16Gb model, by the way).

Hopefully Apple will put out an official blurb about the rumored rebates.

Also, good to know about the ebook reader format (and the apparent battery life/SSH link).

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Vyze posted:

Assuming the CDs aren't too obscure, go into iTunes, highlight all your songs, right-click, and select the option to search for album artwork. That should hopefully get most of them for you.

I figured it out and don't mind manually doing it much. I'm loving this thing. I know the phone doesn't have it, but really the ultimate thing at least for the iPod Touch (since there's no SMS) would be a chat feature to let me go on through AIM. If they're worried about SMS profits, just don't put it on the iPhone. I think this would be the ultimate device. Hell, I'd pay $100 just to use AIM on this.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Vyze posted:

What's the difference between the eBook reader, and just opening a text file in the TextEdit app or have .htm files from an iTouch Apache Webserver?

And argh, I'm getting angrier at my wifi thingie by the day. :(

The Books app will remember where you left off, so you're not searching for that last sentence each time you open it. You can also change the font, the size of the text, the colours and a bunch of easy navigation options options if you format it properly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well, instead of waiting, I'm pretty sure I'll just take the plunge and get the 16 gb touch from amazon. I just hope someone doesn't jailbreak the new patch right after I spend all the time jailbreaking mine. I'm almost wondering if I'll just leave it alone until someone does.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

VibrioCholera posted:

I figured it out and don't mind manually doing it much. I'm loving this thing. I know the phone doesn't have it, but really the ultimate thing at least for the iPod Touch (since there's no SMS) would be a chat feature to let me go on through AIM. If they're worried about SMS profits, just don't put it on the iPhone. I think this would be the ultimate device. Hell, I'd pay $100 just to use AIM on this.

Well, software revisions 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 can still be jailbroken, and then you'll have access to a couple IM apps through Installer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Christoff posted:

Well, instead of waiting, I'm pretty sure I'll just take the plunge and get the 16 gb touch from amazon. I just hope someone doesn't jailbreak the new patch right after I spend all the time jailbreaking mine. I'm almost wondering if I'll just leave it alone until someone does.

May as well, it's $40 off retail.

Jailbreaking (to 1.1.2) takes about 15-30 minutes, and is reversible within two minutes. Play around with it all you want.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Well, the rumor is now that 1.1.3 has been jailbroken but they are holding off on releasing it until Apple releases the SDK. If it's true or not is obviously open for debate but this video certainly looks believable.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Any idea about Apple ever updating so that the Radio Remote will work? I just picked one up (along with an 8gb yay) assuming it would be okay and lo and behold the flagship iPod doesn't support it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Something odd happened today.

I had my Touch plugged in charging and opened up iTunes to see a notice that it wanted to upgrade itself and QT to 1.6 I belive. No biggie, went through it, computer restarted, I re open up iTunes to find that my iPod is now called Untitled, its still totally full according to the bar at the bottom but everything is now "other" and no music, videos or photos are now on it.

AAGGHH it didn't upgrade to 1.1.3 as its still Jailbroke but I have nothing on the Touch...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Oh, well, I guess that idea is scratched. Although, at first, the girl at Apple wasn't sure where the "A" was in the model number, then she read mine off (MA627LL) and said it must be the second. (Mine is a 16Gb model, by the way).

Hopefully Apple will put out an official blurb about the rumored rebates.

Also, good to know about the ebook reader format (and the apparent battery life/SSH link).

Oh. Model number. Yea, that is my model number too.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Well my replacement iPod isn't eligible based on the model number theory. Not too big of a deal because I prefer the jail broken setup. I just wonder if all security updates to Safari will only be included in new firmwares so us 1.1.2 users are at the mercy of others online to cobble something together. I am not scared someone will write a virus to cripple iPods, but I don't want to have my Touch be vulnerable to keyloggers if I ever decided to buy something online while using it.

For those looking for im clients, Apollo is: simple, stable, and works with a bunch of services. It behaves like a Mac style im client, however: comic book style speech bubbles. I am a Windows user so this caught me off guard.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
For you fans of iPhysics my level pack is on the repository now. Please check it out, it is called "LightStreaks-1" My goal of this was to make you think about getting the ball to the box in different ways and also to make beautiful levels instead of boring, lovely looking mspaint ones. I will definitely be continuing this series and the new maps will be more elegant and challenging.

You will find that the levels of this first installment get increasingly better as they progress. Expect the next pack to be on par with the second image I have posted for every level.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Which repository, Squirrel? e: nm, I found it.

Also, this means nothing because I know jack poo poo about the details, but I just have a hunch that from here on out (starting with the 'new' Google Maps update), future jailbreaks will let you put on homegrown apps, and let you use official apps that you purchase, but won't give you the ability to get official apps for free (discounting 'knockoff' apps).

Which, thinking about it, is probably the best way to go. No worries about pirating, no screwing small developers, just the ability to install apps that are better/different than those officially available.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 20, 2008

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS

Steadiman posted:

Well, the rumor is now that 1.1.3 has been jailbroken but they are holding off on releasing it until Apple releases the SDK. If it's true or not is obviously open for debate but this video certainly looks believable.

Great news either way!

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Steadiman posted:

This was confirmed by members of the iphone/ipod touch dev team, and a moderator of hackint0sh.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Heads up for anyone that bought a Touch from Best Buy in the last month.

They've lowered their web price again, this time to $360.99. They'll refund the difference up to 30 days after purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I just got $40 from Best Buy. Thanks.

• Locked thread