Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

Aquamarie posted:

I think DAG posted on his MySpace blog about it - basically he was kind of bitter about the fact that the the producers couldn't give him any good answer and when Drew was questioned, he said he wasn't sure why either. :(

Can someone give me some backstory on him appearing on Loveline? He threw up on air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag
DAG was on the show many times, and was even referred to as the "Third Host" by fans. One of the bits he used to to was making throw up noises while Drew or Adam would talk about gross stuff.

As to why he isn't allowed on the show anymore, I don't think anyone has any clue. My guess is it has something to do with the fact that he as the obvious replacement for Adam, but who knows.

rally9x
Feb 2, 2005

Aquamarie posted:

I think DAG posted on his MySpace blog about it - basically he was kind of bitter about the fact that the the producers couldn't give him any good answer and when Drew was questioned, he said he wasn't sure why either. :(

Lets hope its because he will replace StRiker!...Please let it be.

Am I the only one who though Daniel Tosh did really great in his audition episode (I think I've only heard the first one) does anyone know what happened with him? I would actually be interested in any information regarding who "interviewed" for the position or who the producers looked into getting besides the crap they ended up with?

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
I love the DAG episodes but I don't think he'd be a good permanent host at all. He's just at 110% on everything, and basically no one would get their questions answered ever.

For some reason I bet DAG really beat Stryker down off-air about how bad he was compared to Adam. Either that, or Stryker was just trying to distance the show as much as possible from Adam.

He succeeded, as it's now unlistenable. At least Drew has his own show.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
This is a must listen to episode:

http://rapidshare.com/files/84871913/Loveline_-_2002-07-21__Guest_-_Monty_Messex_.mp3

The guest is Monty Messex, who is a childhood friend of Adams and they tell some awesome stories.

Rodney Munch
May 4, 2006

IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT MY GENES HATE HOMOSEXUALS
One of my favorite episodes was when the guest was this hot chick from some silly reality show like the Bachelorette or something. Adam starts up about how he has that show totally figured out and that he could make himself so irresistible to her that she would have to pick him.

He then goes on and on about his plan. He says things like "First I wouldnt give me real name so I could remain dark and mysterious. I would go by Mr X. My family is immensely wealthy but I wanted no part in it so I hit the road when I was 17. My only companion is my horse that I rescued from the SPCA because his owner was beating on him. I feed him with a carrot that I put in my mouth"

Its funny as hell and he goes on and on for like 30 minutes hitting all of the cliche things that hot chicks find attractive in guys. You guys remember this one?

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Rodney Munch posted:

One of my favorite episodes was when the guest was this hot chick from some silly reality show like the Bachelorette or something. Adam starts up about how he has that show totally figured out and that he could make himself so irresistible to her that she would have to pick him.

He then goes on and on about his plan. He says things like "First I wouldnt give me real name so I could remain dark and mysterious. I would go by Mr X. My family is immensely wealthy but I wanted no part in it so I hit the road when I was 17. My only companion is my horse that I rescued from the SPCA because his owner was beating on him. I feed him with a carrot that I put in my mouth"

Its funny as hell and he goes on and on for like 30 minutes hitting all of the cliche things that hot chicks find attractive in guys. You guys remember this one?
I mentioned that episode a few pages back. It's classic Adam.

Nemo posted:

Just finished re-listening to another great show.

2005-02-10 (Guest - Jen Schefft)

The guest was the star of The Bachelorette. Adam spends most of the first hour explaining how he'd convince her he was Mr. Right.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Rodney Munch posted:

I thought this was the show with the chick from Mr. Personality, that Fox show with the guys in masks, but it doesn't seem to be it. This particular show however has reunited me with my long lost distaste for Dr. Bruce's constant uptight, condescending, and sometimes downright transparently envious attitude towards everything Adam has to say. This is not an overwhelmingly obvious attitude, but more of a ever present undercurrent in most everything he says. It's worse in some episodes than others.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

TylerDurden posted:

I thought this was the show with the chick from Mr. Personality, that Fox show with the guys in masks, but it doesn't seem to be it. This particular show however has reunited me with my long lost distaste for Dr. Bruce's constant uptight, condescending, and sometimes downright transparently envious attitude towards everything Adam has to say. This is not an overwhelmingly obvious attitude, but more of a ever present undercurrent in most everything he says. It's worse in some episodes than others.
I picked up the "I'm a med doctor and you're a dumb carpet cleaner" intellectual attitude that alot of doctors have, but I never picked up on envy thing. I can sense that had Dr. Bruce been running Loveline, it would have been a VERY different show. I'm kind of surprised Dr. Drew was able to put up with Adam through all of the years that he worked.

Hell, Dr. Drew did the show as a PSA, Dr. Bruce did it to whore his laser clinic so he wouldn't have to deal with insurance companies.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 19, 2008

Komissar Steve
Jun 18, 2004

by Fragmaster

Ultimos posted:

DAG was on the show many times, and was even referred to as the "Third Host" by fans. One of the bits he used to to was making throw up noises while Drew or Adam would talk about gross stuff.

As to why he isn't allowed on the show anymore, I don't think anyone has any clue. My guess is it has something to do with the fact that he as the obvious replacement for Adam, but who knows.

DAG's a rather volatile guy, from what I gather. Even Adam would commonly make references to how truly nutty he is, back in the day. At this point, I find myself chalking it up to DAG simply being a weird dude, as unsatisfying of an answer though that may be.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Admittedly I haven't heard many Dr. Bruce episodes, but he just seems like someone who's not very comfortable on the radio. Maybe that's why he comes off as a prick?

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I can't use SALR. I is dumb.

Bolek fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 19, 2008

Bolek
May 1, 2003

UltraRed posted:

I picked up the "I'm a med doctor and you're a dumb carpet cleaner" intellectual attitude that alot of doctors have, but I never picked up on envy thing. I can sense that had Dr. Bruce been running Loveline, it would have been a VERY different show. I'm kind of surprised Dr. Drew was able to put up with Adam through all of the years that he worked.

Hell, Dr. Drew did the show as a PSA, Dr. Bruce did it to whore his laser clinic so he wouldn't have to deal with insurance companies.
Well doctors have all the right in the world to be entitled, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. It's just that dismissing valid points and the sometimes condescending and patronizing attitude grates on me.

Lets not be too kind to Drew, he is much more of a media whore than Bruce could dream of being. I don't hate Bruce, in fact sometimes I enjoy the change of pace, that is just a criticism I have of him.

Bender posted:

Admittedly I haven't heard many Dr. Bruce episodes, but he just seems like someone who's not very comfortable on the radio. Maybe that's why he comes off as a prick?
Well, it's a given that he does horrible radio, but I don't think inexperience (which apparently doesn't really even apply to him since he has been filling in for some time) is much of a contributing factor to his more distasteful attitudes.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

TylerDurden posted:

Well, it's a given that he does horrible radio, but I don't think inexperience (which apparently doesn't really even apply to him since he has been filling in for some time) is much of a contributing factor to his more distasteful attitudes.

That's true.

Also consider that Adam gets on his case a lot. I know that personally if I had someone calling me "Dr. Spaz" and telling me how terrible I was on national radio, I'd react in a pretty angry manner too.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Speaking of Bruce.

2000-08-01 - Chris Malloy + Kelly Slater + Dr. Bruce.

This is the one where Dr. Bruce says his famous drop "ive had anal sex a couple of times and passed out" it is near the end of the show.

I think Dr. Bruce likes to annoy Adam, because Adam always makes fun of Bruce / Drew. Doesnt Adam mention a few times that they play basketball together, so i guess they are friends off the air as well.

subscreet
Jul 1, 2007
Does anybody know the source of Drew's peyote drop?

Rodney Munch
May 4, 2006

IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT MY GENES HATE HOMOSEXUALS
Does anyone know what Dr. Bruce looks like? I always picture him as a very cool Tom Cruise looking 007 Bond type of guy. Although I think I saw a picture of him like 8 years ago and he looked more like Screetch Powers.

Surgeon General
May 26, 2004
Delightfully Mad

Rodney Munch posted:

Does anyone know what Dr. Bruce looks like? I always picture him as a very cool Tom Cruise looking 007 Bond type of guy. Although I think I saw a picture of him like 8 years ago and he looked more like Screetch Powers.

http://www.lovelineshow.com/pg/jsp/loveline/video/videoMaster.jsp?size=500&dispid=346

Carey Hart, Jul 31, 2007

That's probably the best shot of Dr Bruce on there

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

ace_beef posted:

I think Dr. Bruce likes to annoy Adam, because Adam always makes fun of Bruce / Drew. Doesnt Adam mention a few times that they play basketball together, so i guess they are friends off the air as well.
That's how I always saw the Bruce/Adam dynamic. At least on the radio, Bruce doesn't like how much Adam rips on him, so he responds by passive-aggressively saying things that he knows will make Adam angry.

On a completely different note, Stryker, Drew, and Producer Ann watch 2girls1cup. Edit: Dec. 17th.

Jessi Bond
May 2, 2007

Daddy's girl's a fucking monster.

Surgeon General posted:

http://www.lovelineshow.com/pg/jsp/loveline/video/videoMaster.jsp?size=500&dispid=346

Carey Hart, Jul 31, 2007

John Mayer described him as looking like "an aging child star." I saw a picture of him a while ago and it seemed to fit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rushmore posted:

http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/Loveline%20-%202001-10-10%20(Save%20Ferris).mp3

I forgot to post the link - sorry!

God, this is amazing. Adam's breakdown of how the end of a relationship goes is spot loving on.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Grifter posted:

That's how I always saw the Bruce/Adam dynamic. At least on the radio, Bruce doesn't like how much Adam rips on him, so he responds by passive-aggressively saying things that he knows will make Adam angry.

Haha, that is some circular logic right there.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
This is a long shot. Does anyone know the date of the show, around start to mid-1998, where they had an animal sex expert on? This was the first Loveline show I ever listened to, and I was hooked after that. I know I was in 5th grade at the time, and another kid in the class told me to listen.

I also think it might have been Dr. Bruce's first show ever. I remember Dr. Drew wasn't there.

At one point in the show the guy was showing Adam pictures of a fly masturbating, and Adam asked him if the fly had a big dick in comparison to its size. He then started talking about elephant dongs.

subscreet posted:

Does anybody know the source of Drew's peyote drop?

It definitely pre-dates 1997. I was listening to an old show and they even dropped it then.

Liface fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 19, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Rushmore posted:

http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/Loveline%20-%202001-10-10%20(Save%20Ferris).mp3

I forgot to post the link - sorry!

For future reference this is also the origin of Adam's theme song and the joke with the clown music. Great show.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

ace_beef posted:

Speaking of Bruce.

2000-08-01 - Chris Malloy + Kelly Slater + Dr. Bruce.

This is the one where Dr. Bruce says his famous drop "ive had anal sex a couple of times and passed out" it is near the end of the show.

Yeah, there was a week there where Drew was gone and Bruce, apparently, ended up spending most of the days doing stuff with Adam or sleeping at his pad. It was kinda funny to hear them talk about it on the air, because it made them sound like really great buds. :unsmith:

I don't care what anyone says; I absolutely love Bruce on the air. He DOES do terrible radio, and he so often walks into humiliating himself long-term. See: "I've had anal sex and passed out a couple of times" and his hilariously slurry "If this is true, you're going to go to jail, buddy." He's really just a great source of drops.

Komissar Steve
Jun 18, 2004

by Fragmaster

Surgeon General posted:

Carey Hart, Jul 31, 2007

Hahaha, Ichabod Bruce!:neckbeard:

Alexandr posted:

I don't care what anyone says; I absolutely love Bruce on the air. He DOES do terrible radio, and he so often walks into humiliating himself long-term. See: "I've had anal sex and passed out a couple of times" and his hilariously slurry "If this is true, you're going to go to jail, buddy." He's really just a great source of drops.

Dr. Spaz is the man. Besides the anal sex drop, the best bit he's ever done was the "skullduggery" dialog that he did with Adam about the people at Westwood One stealing the milk for Adam's coffee.

EDIT: By the way, sorry if someone's asked this before, but does anybody know the origin of Drew's "human being better run" and "I'm a rapist!" drops?

EDIT 2: I'm a moron -

Randul posted:

The story as I remember it, is that Meshell Ndegeocello was a guest and Drew was reading the lyrics to one of her songs that had that line in it.

So yeah, scratch the "human being better run" drop.

Does anyone know where "I'm a rapist" is from, though?

Komissar Steve fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 20, 2008

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Komissar Steve posted:

EDIT: By the way, sorry if someone's asked this before, but does anybody know the origin of Drew's "human being better run" and "I'm a rapist!" drops?
Listen man, let it go, the man was drunk, the microphones were on, it was a long time ago and a mistrial far far away. Everyone makes mistakes.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'd like to know who runs the random feed and exactly how many episodes they have. Seems like some go back almost to '95.

Also, gently caress -~sTRyKer~-, seriously.

EDIT: Haha, wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stryker_%28disc_jockey%29#Trivia posted:

# Hired on July 23, 2006 to replace Adam Carolla on the show. Fans have since deserted the show in droves, with the consensus being that the verbal dynamic between Drew and Stryker is infinitely inferior to the magic that took place between Adam and Dr. Drew every day during Adam's 10-year tenure.

# Graduated college in 6.5 years.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 20, 2008

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Malachi Constant posted:

For future reference this is also the origin of Adam's theme song and the joke with the clown music. Great show.

I laugh EVERY time he does this bit. It can NEVER get old.

Komissar Steve
Jun 18, 2004

by Fragmaster
You know, say what you will about Stryker as a host - but one thing that I really love about the show nowadays is the fact that they're getting Seth MacFarlane in there a lot more frequently, which is great, because the guy's just way too brilliant.

Maybe he'll replace Stryker, who knows.:dance: (I know, I know - no chance in hell. But one can dream...)

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Depends on how long the WGA strike lasts, he's sure got a voice for radio.

Komissar Steve
Jun 18, 2004

by Fragmaster

Maarak posted:

Depends on how long the WGA strike lasts, he's sure got a voice for radio.

Ooooh, good point - it's not like he's doing much else at this point, anyway. And yeah, he's got a helluva voice. He and Drew need to do a duet sometime or something. That'd be awesome.:rock:

Bolek
May 1, 2003

MacFarlane would put a bullet in his brain after the 5th reference in ten minutes that Drew drew(ha) a blank expression to.

Komissar Steve
Jun 18, 2004

by Fragmaster

TylerDurden posted:

MacFarlane would put a bullet in his brain after the 5th reference in ten minutes that Drew drew(ha) a blank expression to.

LOL, good point. I was listening to a recent episode where someone referenced Good Charlotte, and Drew said he'd never heard of them. I wanted to leap through the radio and loving strangle him, because I know for a fact that they've been ON the goddamn show! Uuuuuuurgh, what Adam would do if he was there...

rally9x
Feb 2, 2005

Komissar Steve posted:

LOL, good point. I was listening to a recent episode where someone referenced Good Charlotte, and Drew said he'd never heard of them. I wanted to leap through the radio and loving strangle him, because I know for a fact that they've been ON the goddamn show! Uuuuuuurgh, what Adam would do if he was there...

I disagree on this one, Adam usually didn't care enough to remember guests either. Thats just one of the many beauties of Adam and Drew. I think this has changed quite a bit since Adam got his own show it seems like hes finally figured out that people truly do love him besides idiots who call Loveline and has stepped up on paying attention to these things.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

rally9x posted:

I disagree on this one, Adam usually didn't care enough to remember guests either. Thats just one of the many beauties of Adam and Drew.

Heh, I remember him telling the story of introducing himself to Janeane Garofalo after she has already been a guest three times on the show, appearing on both the TV and radio versions.

Hategiants
May 2, 2004
Seems like the loveline archive isn't working. Whats the best way to download lots of old Aceman episodes?

Nm, now its working. A torrent would be a lot easier though.

Hategiants fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 23, 2008

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hategiants posted:

A torrent would be a lot easier though.

There's a 45GB torrent on isohunt.com

That's where I got all of mine from.

Komissar Steve
Jun 18, 2004

by Fragmaster

rally9x posted:

I disagree on this one, Adam usually didn't care enough to remember guests either. Thats just one of the many beauties of Adam and Drew.

That's not my point, though; Adam is consistently furious at Drew for not remembering things. If he had said he'd never heard of a band that they had had on, and Adam remembered it, he would tear Drew a new one. And I would laugh; oh, how I would laugh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spirit of 1994
Jun 17, 2003

No! You lie! You're a lying fan!

Komissar Steve posted:

Does anyone know where "I'm a rapist" is from, though?

I wanna say it's one of the Seth Green episodes, or maybe a QOTSA episode, but the premise was that Dr. Drew needed a catchphrase, and he decided he would randomly interject "I'm a rapist" into conversations. It only lasted for like one or two callers though, as I recall.

• Locked thread