Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Went into GC today to pick up a keyboard stand and walked out with one of these for $75 (no cable or drivers, but that's easily fixed):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Only $75? I remember paying roughly $300 for mine!
Good piece of kit, imo.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002
I have officially started to save for a Gutierrez Siren. It'll look a bit like this:

Hand made, all the way!

Draesk
Sep 12, 2007

SOHC 1971 posted:

I have officially started to save for a Gutierrez Siren. It'll look a bit like this:

Hand made, all the way!

That is gorgeous.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
SM57

Rode NT1a

Catalinbread Ottava Magus

Plus stands, leads, etc.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Harmony H165 - $130 shipped from ebay. I don't know what year this one is from, but they only made the kind I have between 1969 and 1972. All the little paper things on the floor were used as padding by the shipper and fell out of the box (which is visible in the corner of the first pic)

First mod was to take off the very loosely glued pickguard

Second mod was to add this pickholder. I'm pretty sure the adhesive I used won't gently caress up the finish (it's designed for hanging posters on walls), but who cares if it does?

This things already been on an 11 state and 1 province road trip, and a real Nashville guitarslinger chillin outside an IHOP told me it was a great guitar and that it was smart to take off the silly pickguard.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Gibson's Guitar of the Week, week 14. Got this back in August.

MacBook Pro for recording, picked up just before Christmas.

Nice Shure mic I got for Christmas from my sister.

And finally a Sonor Force 1007 drum kit that I also got just before Christmas.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

While not new (we were asked by a friend of the family to store this back in 2003, because he bought a new electric kit and just wanted it out of the house) I recently moved it out of the basement and up into my study/room where the rest of my music crap is. I actually learned how to play drums on this thing 5 years ago, so it's been well played. Unfortunately though, the right cymbal trigger has stopped working, and the left cymbal is on it's last legs. I think I might build my own triggers using that thread someone made a while back as a guide...

Oh, and the reason why I moved the kit upstairs? The same guy was cleaning out his garage, and asked us if we wanted a free Hammond Organ :dance:. Hopefully the next pictures I post will be it.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
I was supposed to buy this Boss RC-20XL

...but then I found out about the Digitech JamMan, which is basically the same but much better with a negligible price difference, so here we are:

I did consider the RC-50 for a second but gave up when I realised it has only one out jack.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Noise Machine posted:

Oh, and the reason why I moved the kit upstairs? The same guy was cleaning out his garage, and asked us if we wanted a free Hammond Organ :dance:. Hopefully the next pictures I post will be it.

Hammonds are awesome. Many of them have a jack in the back you can use to plug your guitar (or whatever) into, so that you can run an external signal through the Hammond's spring reverb and Leslie. It's worth having one around for that alone.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Von posted:

That is gorgeous.
Check the neck/body groove:

DROOL. I played three other examples of his work, and they are such incredibly well done guitars.

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
I just bought a pair of SH-2n and SH-4 Seymour Duncans to put in my Epiphone Les Paul.

Can't take a picture right now, and whoever wired this thing forgot to ground the bridge tone knob, so it's like a big mains hum antenna

Edit: looking a bit closer, It seems like he only grounded the bridge and one of the pots. Yay lovely techs.

krisis fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 20, 2008

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ReverendHammer posted:

Went into GC today to pick up a keyboard stand and walked out with one of these for $75 (no cable or drivers, but that's easily fixed):

You bastard!

It's a great device, though. I love mine.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Oh come on I just dropped into that guitar store to kill some time what the hell

(Generic Google Image Search Result)

It's a Peavey T-15, complete with hardshell case with built-in amplifier! It's a tiny little guitar, 3/4 scale with a very thin 20 fret neck. The body's finished very thin so you can still feel the wood grain and everything, but despite that, it only has a few really shallow surface dings. The pickups are like humbucker-sized rail P90s. Actual pictures coming soon.

The body for my tele arrived on Friday too. :v:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

HumanSpeedBump posted:

...but then I found out about the Digitech JamMan, which is basically the same but much better with a negligible price difference...
Yes, yes it is. Good choice.

vv The big selling points for me were that the Digitech can store 99 separate patches (to the RC20's 11), longer record time (24 minutes standard, 6.5 hours with a 2GB CF card - compared to the RC20's 5 minutes) and the ability to send to a computer via USB. I spent some time with a friend's RC20 and wasn't too impressed with the idiot factor (how easy it is to figure out with no instructions). When I got my JamMan I was able to get going pretty quickly.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 22, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yes, yes it is. Good choice.

What's the difference between the two?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

just bought this for no good goddamn reason at all. stupid internet making impulse purchases easy.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Finally got the Rockcase pedalboard I ordered a week back.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

HumanSpeedBump posted:

Finally got the Rockcase pedalboard I ordered a week back.

Why are you using both a JamMan and DL4?

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
more importantly, why do you have 36 toggle switches on your pedal board?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

PenguinBob posted:

just bought this for no good goddamn reason at all. stupid internet making impulse purchases easy.

Let us know how it feels. I too have an odd compulsion to purchase certain Danelectro products. I've resisted so far, but you never know what a new paycheck will make you do...

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 2, 2019

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

TheDingo posted:

Captain Organ posted:

more importantly, why do you have 36 toggle switches on your pedal board?

It's either because I get off on thoughts of endless overdub loops in stereo and tiny metal switches, or because I don't play the guitar but instead what you see in the picture. I don't remember which.

edit: besides there's only like 35 switches

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I bought an American Telecaster for $450 earlier this month.

Ideally I would've wanted it to have still had the original bridge pickup, but no dice. :-\ The thing is as old as I am but it doesn't really have the wear to prove it. It looks like someone tried to carve a K into the pickguard. :-/

Also, the serial number is the same rightside up as it is upside down :-|

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

TheDingo posted:

The DL4 is a great delay that happens to have a marginally useful looper. :shobon:

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
After missing the delivery guy twice (the first time when I was home all day somehow..) My amp finally arrived!

It's the big Marshall under the small Marshall, and in front of the not so small Orange. I'm impressed with it so far for the price I paid. It's bigger than I was expecting it to be, but that's hardly an issue.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Marshall MS-2 buddy!

God I hated that thing.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

HumanSpeedBump posted:

It's either because I get off on thoughts of endless overdub loops in stereo and tiny metal switches, or because I don't play the guitar but instead what you see in the picture. I don't remember which.

edit: besides there's only like 35 switches

Did you make those custom pedals yourself, or is there a corner of the internet where people build and sell odd customized pedals with a billion switches? I ask because I'm into DIY stuff but hardly have time to do it myself. :(

And what do those pedals do anyway?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Handen posted:

Did you make those custom pedals yourself, or is there a corner of the internet where people build and sell odd customized pedals with a billion switches? I ask because I'm into DIY stuff but hardly have time to do it myself. :(

They don't really change the sound, but each time you flip a switch it deducts five dollars from your bank account. Nobody knows where it goes, though. v:)v

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Handen posted:

Those pedals are the work of a good friend who's been kind enough to build me some other stuff as well.

The bent pedals are:

[that little black box in the lower left corner]
This used to be a Boss Metal Zone MT-2. The switches (on all the custom pedals) activate and deactivate bends on the circuit boards, and their combinations touch, fondle, ream and rape the sound. This thing now sounds quite a lot like the Metasonix Scrotum Smash and Butt Probe pedals. One of the switches actually bumps the volume up to about double the normal if the pedal is the last one in a chain. If not, it just roughs up the sound some.

[the metallic box above it]
A pedal is like a box of chocolates, especially when it is built into a box of chocolates. The barcode around the second power led is a dead giveaway.

The box houses two pedals: a DOD Death Metal and a DOD filter (I forget the name). The four input jacks in the upper right corner allow me to use either one or both, just as if they were separate units. The bends on the switches still effect the sound of both, even though the distortion is always more heavily touched.

[the black box with knobs attached to a pedal]
A Boss DS-1 with an external switch-/knob box. This thing is best for a sort of a "straining" sound where the toggles are turned so that the outcoming signal cuts between moments of silence and heavily saturated distortion. Also I found out that when the DL 4 is connected to this box's input, the box works as an analog synth that's good for radio noise or low low bass.

If you take a look at how the pedals are connected, you'll notice some small things like the DL-4 connecting both to the reverb and the line selector. The cables going outside the board are supposed to be connected to a mixer. Essentially, what I do is choose the route the feedback loop takes through the board and the mixer, and what the pedals do is make it timid, squeaky, rhythmic, loud, annoying, or plain weird. Imagine using Märklin model trains as an instrument setting up hammers and buzzsaws to beat the trains as they speed around the looping tracks.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

HumanSpeedBump posted:

If you take a look at how the pedals are connected, you'll notice some small things like the DL-4 connecting both to the reverb and the line selector. The cables going outside the board are supposed to be connected to a mixer. Essentially, what I do is choose the route the feedback loop takes through the board and the mixer, and what the pedals do is make it timid, squeaky, rhythmic, loud, annoying, or plain weird. Imagine using Märklin model trains as an instrument setting up hammers and buzzsaws to beat the trains as they speed around the looping tracks.

Can you post a recording of this? It sounds rad.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

squidgee posted:

Sure. I'll try to get one done tomorrow night.

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

HumanSpeedBump posted:

that's cool, you don't see many noise musicians on this board

here's my current set up, I use the mixer for two main loops, one based on the ring mod and one based on the alesis ineko

grunge, mxr flanger, ineko
realistic reverb (feeding back it's a silly noisemaker), odb3, frostwave ring mod, copilotfx antenna

and to be on topic, I won one of these on ebay a while ago and it's still not here :rant:

stereo flange :frogc00l:

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

squidgee posted:

Here.

It's slightly dulled, because I only noticed I had the reverb on full power through the entire thing at the end, when I was supposed to turn it up.

You have no idea of the costs involved in the recording of this short clip.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

archie posted:

You son of a bitch :( I want it so bad

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Colonel J posted:

Gibson LP Studio Mahogany, for 800$ I'm ridiculously happy.

I got mine as a gift in 05' and it plays and sounds just as good as my LP Standard, which is worth alot more money.

Here is a pic of me playing mine at a Halloween party last year w/ my cover band. You can see my red standard in the backround.

Ok well it looks like another limited Dean has got me roped in. Every year Dean makes 50 DoA Guitars (Dean Owners of America), where you just basically have to be a forum member to join. This year it's a loving Goldtop V! And it has a V-neck, Ebony board, and new Dean USA pickups!!

I'm gonna sell my Blueburst Dean V for this fucker. It's hot.

Dean Zelinsky holding one of these badboys.

There are only 9 left for sale, and I must have one!

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

Socket Ryanist posted:

You son of a bitch :( I want it so bad

:smith:

you can come over and use it until you get yours :unsmith:

US$1600 (AUS$1950 landed) from https://www.novamusik.com - best gear website ever!

on an un-related guitar note it's amazing how much i didn't care for them a while back and after being exposed to so many here i am interested in them now. especially pedals! all those pedals look heaps of fun!

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
That picture of the Dean V made me realize that the dean headstock is the body of a flying V. Now I feel all :downs: for not realizing it before.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Forget the Glass Nexus (for now), I'm getting this:

The guitarist in my dad's band is a great guy, and he uses this little amp. Through a 1x12, it'll get pretty loud for jamming, but through a 4x12 it'll go over the drums. Not to mention it mics excellently and has all the flexibility you could ask for.

He's letting me borrow it to see what I think, and I'm going to be buying one for myself soon because I think so highly of it.

It is an amazingly versatile amp which can achieve, on its own, tones and textures from jazzy cleans to dirty blues to saturated rock n' roll, even into hard rock with the right tubes... but one of my main considerations, of course, is how well it works with my ever-growing pedalboard. I have never heard an amp which takes pedals as well as this one. It's almost magical. Lets the Damage Control preamps shine through beautifully, responding to its voicing and adding two additional channels to the amp. I set it up for a singing, harmonically-rich clean sound (at the hardest strum, just at the edge of breakup - you know the sound, that lovely thing that started rock n' roll), and then kick in the gain with the Liquid Blues and Solid Metal. It also voices the G9.2tt better than any other amp I've used.

So it's my next purchase, for sure. I don't know whether to thank the guy who is letting me use his Univalve or curse him, because it's inspired me to spend more money...

I don't know if I'll be selling my Randall - it's definitely louder, and sounds quite good. If I can get away with keeping it I will, but if I need the money it'll be one of the first things liquidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
I got this for my 18th birthday, which was nearly a year ago now... but it's still my favourite damned thing on Earth and my last musical purchase.

Note: mine is green.