Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Squirrel007 posted:

For you fans of iPhysics my level pack is on the repository now. Please check it out, it is called "LightStreaks-1" My goal of this was to make you think about getting the ball to the box in different ways and also to make beautiful levels instead of boring, lovely looking mspaint ones. I will definitely be continuing this series and the new maps will be more elegant and challenging.

You will find that the levels of this first installment get increasingly better as they progress. Expect the next pack to be on par with the second image I have posted for every level.

Cool, where is it in the repository??
You have to add http://iphone.r4m0n.net/repos to the sources and the category iPhysics will appear.

Cool levels

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

May as well, it's $40 off retail.

Jailbreaking (to 1.1.2) takes about 15-30 minutes, and is reversible within two minutes. Play around with it all you want.

I know it's a simple process. But it seems people spend a long time organizing it and getting it to just the way they want.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Are there any other chat applications other than Apollo or MobileChat that support MSN and AIM?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well, I got the touch from amazon and Power Support Anti-Glare protector from apple. Unfortunately it was $21 or so after tax/shipping. I didn't feel like going to the apple store to save a couple bucks. Also, I didn't save anything buying directly from power support. It was $23 or so.

My next question. Assuming the current patch is already jailbroken. If I wait until this is released, are all of the current apps that you can add compatible with a jailbroken touch, regardless of the patch version? I assume when you upgrade the patch or jailbroken patch your touch is wiped?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Christoff posted:

My next question. Assuming the current patch is already jailbroken. If I wait until this is released, are all of the current apps that you can add compatible with a jailbroken touch, regardless of the patch version?

Not really sure what you're asking, but most (if not all) the apps available for Jailbreak 1.1.1 were installable under Jailbreak 1.1.2 with no modification.

Apparently, starting with 1.1.3, people will have to deal with two families of apps: the 'official' apps you get from Apple (or third parties through iTunes), and homegrown apps. The former category seem to have some DRM restrictions on them, so who knows how those will play out.

Also, as a side note, the latest info I can find is that the people who have Jailbroken 1.1.3 don't plan on releasing that until after Apple releases the SDK, which Jobs said would be in "late February". If that's true, we're probably looking at five or six weeks from now, minimum.

quote:

I assume when you upgrade the patch or jailbroken patch your touch is wiped?

Yes and no. When you upgrade, you're upgrading firmware, so your apps are wiped. Apparently your Media folder is untouched (the Touch disk has two partitions).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not really sure what you're asking, but most (if not all) the apps available for Jailbreak 1.1.1 were installable under Jailbreak 1.1.2 with no modification.

Apparently, starting with 1.1.3, people will have to deal with two families of apps: the 'official' apps you get from Apple (or third parties through iTunes), and homegrown apps. The former category seem to have some DRM restrictions on them, so who knows how those will play out.

Also, as a side note, the latest info I can find is that the people who have Jailbroken 1.1.3 don't plan on releasing that until after Apple releases the SDK, which Jobs said would be in "late February". If that's true, we're probably looking at five or six weeks from now, minimum.

Yes and no. When you upgrade, you're upgrading firmware, so your apps are wiped. Apparently your Media folder is untouched (the Touch disk has two partitions).

Thanks for the answers. You got my first question right. What I was asking is if the homebrew apps were compatible with any patch version. I understand we may see some problems with the official apple ones in the new patch and their "slight" differences. Particularly in google maps and safari. Hopefully we can just take these small benefits and add all the other apps as we please.

I suppose I'll just jailbreak for now then.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I would recommend jailbreaking now. If you run a Jailbreak 1.1.2, the only thing you're missing from running official 1.1.3 (plus purchases) is:

* Google map's "locate me" function. The rest of the map functions are still available.
* The "wiggly icons" and dragging icons around your screen (you can still move icons with Customize, but not "on-the-fly".
* Webclips.

(some people say the Mail app has been upgraded, too, but I'm not sure).

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Zod, the guy who made Gpsphone and Psx4all for the iPhone/Touch, now has a Super Nintendo emulator working. It's currently in closed beta on his site but it should be public and on installer any day now. More info and a video on his site. Should be fun and maybe another reason to not upgrade to 1.1.3 yet.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Is there some kind of messenger website I can use in safari to talk to my friend when I'm on WiFi?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Christoff posted:

Well, I got the touch from amazon and Power Support Anti-Glare protector from apple. Unfortunately it was $21 or so after tax/shipping. I didn't feel like going to the apple store to save a couple bucks. Also, I didn't save anything buying directly from power support. It was $23 or so.

In this context, I have a DLO HipCase that covers the entire iPod. Do these screens get scratched by finger use?

Mine still seems in great shape, and I have the screen covered 99% of the time. I don't know if I want to add a protector if I have a little flap on mine anyways protecting it from my pockets harsh environment. I really can't see my finger destroying the screen or even leaving a scratch. Reviews seem good on that Power Support product though. Also, I think it's cheaper on Amazon now.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 21, 2008

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I am only aware of one difference for apps between different firmwares. 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 have different versions for the "iPhone apps" because they install differently, but I think teh actual programs are identical. It seems most programs that had issues with 1.1.2 were just patched by their authors to run on both firmwares.

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

So now we've got lyrics on the iPod Touch does anyone know of any programs that add them for you. I tried iArt but it doesn't seem to work, maybe something to do with the latest version of iTunes?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm using manual media management now. But there still doesn't seem to be a way to hammer wallpapers into the iPod without using synchronisation.

So, anyway, if I leave manual management on and then subsequently activate photo sync seperately, iTunes won't gently caress me over and delete all manually added songs when I hit Sync, right?

Swarf
Mar 25, 2005

Visiting houses in motion
I'm having some trouble adding the iphone apps. I got it to jailbreak fine, but when I run WinSCP and put in my IP adress and the root/pass it gives me a "Network error: Connection timed out" message. Could it just be that my connection is really crappy? I can't figure out my router password or get to the admin page thing to change it, so I'm using some other network I pick up that has a pretty weak signal.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So since my Touch got hosed (see post earlier) I restored it.. Well I forgot to shift click and load up an old version to jailbreak and now I'm stuck on 1.1.3 any word on how easy it is to back down to 1.1.1?"

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

g-c posted:

Is there some kind of messenger website I can use in safari to talk to my friend when I'm on WiFi?

If you go to the bookmark I think it is Apple WebApps or something. It's through Apple, do a search. There is an application called TinyBuddy or Tiny AIM. Works pretty well for a WebApp, disconnects sometimes and you can't just leave it on in the background, it logs you out. However, it is good if you want to use AIM on your iPod touch. I haven't found anything else and really hope they release something to use AIM with easier.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Swarf posted:

I'm having some trouble adding the iphone apps. I got it to jailbreak fine, but when I run WinSCP and put in my IP adress and the root/pass it gives me a "Network error: Connection timed out" message. Could it just be that my connection is really crappy? I can't figure out my router password or get to the admin page thing to change it, so I'm using some other network I pick up that has a pretty weak signal.

I don't think it'll work if you put in the IP of the router. I used the device IP (i.e. 192.168.0.xxx).

Disappointing Pie posted:

So since my Touch got hosed (see post earlier) I restored it.. Well I forgot to shift click and load up an old version to jailbreak and now I'm stuck on 1.1.3 any word on how easy it is to back down to 1.1.1?"

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/16/downgrading-your-1-1-3-iphone-or-ipod-touch/

But, there seems to be an easier way (as mentioned in one of the comments of that article:

1. turn it off (red slider -- not just sleep)
2. connect to USB and run iTunes
3. press both Sleep and Home buttons for 10 seconds
4. release Sleep and keep pressing Home for another 10 seconds then release
5. iTunes recognize iPod in restore mode but THIS TIME you can restore to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 without "uknown error".

Something tells me that the first time I read of that method, step 2 should be after step 4. But give it a shot.

notation
Aug 11, 2004
Is there any way to get calendar and contacts data off the ipod and onto my computer? There's a lot of data that I'd hate to lose through future jailbreaking/restoring, and I want to pull all of it off and into Outlook or Thunderbird or whatever. Is there any way to do this?

EDIT - Nevermind, I didn't see the sync contacts option in the info tab.

notation fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2008

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't think it'll work if you put in the IP of the router. I used the device IP (i.e. 192.168.0.xxx).

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/16/downgrading-your-1-1-3-iphone-or-ipod-touch/

But, there seems to be an easier way (as mentioned in one of the comments of that article:

1. turn it off (red slider -- not just sleep)
2. connect to USB and run iTunes
3. press both Sleep and Home buttons for 10 seconds
4. release Sleep and keep pressing Home for another 10 seconds then release
5. iTunes recognize iPod in restore mode but THIS TIME you can restore to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 without "uknown error".

Something tells me that the first time I read of that method, step 2 should be after step 4. But give it a shot.
Did this it worked perfect, thanks!!!

Swarf
Mar 25, 2005

Visiting houses in motion

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, I have been using the IP I pulled of the iPod. I have two problems really: I can't connect to the iPod via WinSCP using the weak connections I can pick up, and I can't connect my iPod to my home wireless because I don't know its password. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I looked around online and found it is possible to copy the files over using a program called Total Commander. I didn't find a way to edit the permissions using that method though, and others were asking the same thing. I figure it is worth asking here too though. Is there a way to change the permissions without using a wireless file transfer?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm guessing it's not your router at home? If it is, you can just find and press the reset button on it, and it should reset the admin login/pass.

line number
Feb 14, 2002
You would need access to the ip address of the wireless router first. The router that you are connecting to would have to forward the ports to whatever ip address the touch is.
And since you have no admin on those remote routers you won't be able to get to the touch that route.

Your best bet is to hard reset the router (as mentioned above) and go local.

It has to be on the same router as your laptop/computer (either wireless or wired) for the ssh to work into your touch.

On another question, whats a good one click solution for dvd rip to touch?
I will pay for the software if it's good.

*edit*
You can chmod the files directly if you have terminal and all that unix filesystem stuff installed.

you would navigate to the diretory in the command line, log in as root ( I would think), and chmod the files.
Google unix commands for the necessary ones to move forwards and backwards in the directory and to change files. granted I haven't done this yet so I'm not completely sure how close to unix it behaves but I would assume it's the same.

I hope that helps?

line number fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 22, 2008

whiskas
May 30, 2005
It's a shame the IM programs are busted right now for MSN. They have so much potential and it's awesome to be online every second of the day. Meebo is a good alternative but you have to keep safari open :(

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

Just seen the new icon for a webclip of SA. Looks great, wonder if its SA that set it to use that or just Apple.

Edit: looks like the BBC site used there own icon too, theses look much better than the thumbnail of what you bookmarked.

MrMartyn fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 22, 2008

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there any particular reason to be on 1.1.2 vs 1.1.1? I tried updating my jailbroken touch to 1.1.2 right after the fix was released, and something hosed up leaving me with a constantly rebooting Springboard. After much swearing, I restored it back to 1.1.1 and haven't looked into it since. Is there any good reason to try and update now? If/when a 1.1.3 jailbreak is released, I'll be on that for the updated Google Maps, but I'm not going to bother with 1.1.2 unless there's something I'm missing entirely.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Apple's big thing with 1.1.2 (besides trying to kill jailbreaking) was fixing bugs in calendar. Bug or security fixes in Safari appear to have been on tap. There is also other under the hood stuff with how the touch runs. Probably nothing major. I personally deal with a paranoid delusion bred from far too many years of Windows OSes that I want all my tech stuff up to date.

I'm waiting for after the SDK to consider upgrading. As stated above, good things come to those who wait. ;)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Time to spice up this thread with some pictures!

This took me forever to get it working the way I wanted. I basically mixed NEONstandard, NeonReamus, some random icon packs I found, and some manual file editing to get everything to show up how I wanted, and this is the result.

Page 1:

And page 2:

If there's requests, I can definitely upload the theme and full icon set.

Dr. Video Games 0141
Jan 1, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

kevdude posted:

Time to spice up this thread with some pictures!

This took me forever to get it working the way I wanted. I basically mixed NEONstandard, NeonReamus, some random icon packs I found, and some manual file editing to get everything to show up how I wanted, and this is the result.

Page 1:

And page 2:

If there's requests, I can definitely upload the theme and full icon set.

Please do :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, definitely. I liked the neon theme when i tried it a while ago, but it didn't have all the icons i needed. This looks hot.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
For the jailbroken folks, there are 3 great wallpaper mega-packs in the 'Apogee LTD Designs' section under installer. If you don't have the source address it's: http://apogeeltd.com

I think there's around 150 wallpapers total, lots of them are seriously great.

The installer will ask to put the wallpapers in a seperate folder but don't worry, I just said yes to everything and it worked great on mine and two of my housemates' touches.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
NEONcompilation
This is my current theme being used in those screenshots:

NeonIconPack
This is a mega ultra icon pack, which has every single Neon icon I have been able to find. You can mix/match them all, rename to the right application, and upload to your Touch into the theme folder in Summerboard.

Credit for all this goes to the makers of NEONstandard/NEON, NeonReamus, and Seth's Neon Theme.

Here's a guide from Touch Fans Forum about how to install this theme, if you're a lazy fag and don't want to google it:

quote:

Before you can put any theme onto your ipod, you should have Summerboard. After that, it's pretty easy.

From there, just FTP into your ipod and input the following directory: "/private/var/root/Library/SummerBoard" Capitalization matters.

You should see a folder named "Themes". Open it and go back to the folder you have the theme in. You can either copy the folder, or copy the contents of the folder into a new one on your ipod. The only requirement is that the theme has it's own folder. Be sure that the theme you have has all the required parts (Icons, Dock, etc.) The icons should have their own folder inside of the Themes folder. So the entire thing should look like this.

-Themes
--Theme Title
--dock.png
--wallpaper.png
--thumbs.db
---Icons

If you don't know how to FTP into your Touch yet, see the OP.

Enjoy.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I just got my 1.1.2 iPod from Amazon today - they had the old stock on sale to clear them out so rather than pay $40 more for a 1.1.3 model, I decided to go with a 1.1.2 and jailbreak it.

Jailbreaking was fairly easy, I did have a couple problems.

First, the link in the OP to jailbreak a 1.1.2 touch didn't load for me. I used the ilounge tutorial, which worked fine until the final jailbreak step. I ended up getting some errors that I didn't recognize, so I googled them. There were only a couple hits but one suggested updating Java. I downloaded the latest version from Sun and it worked better. It was slightly weird in that it said my ipod wasn't connected, but the process continued anyway and worked so I guess it was a false positive.

I like it a lot so far. I'm getting used to the interface gradually. Does it save WEP/WPA keys? I'd like to take it to work/etc and not have to re-enter my wireless key when I come home.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yep, it remembers any network you connect to, and saves keys for those with them.

Cush Bowl
Jul 25, 2007
Does anyone know what the best direct plug in FM transmitter on the market is. I'm getting a lot of static when I turn my touch on its side and I don't want to clutter up my car with another cable. I tried the Griffin one and there is a huge difference in static when its upright and when its on its side.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've never found one of those that works perfect. It's mostly due to FCC regulations and such. My car has a tape deck so I just use one of the old cassette adapters and it works great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cush Bowl posted:

Does anyone know what the best direct plug in FM transmitter on the market is. I'm getting a lot of static when I turn my touch on its side and I don't want to clutter up my car with another cable. I tried the Griffin one and there is a huge difference in static when its upright and when its on its side.

Definitely the scosch adapter I think it's called. Do a search for best FM transmitter. You find it in the car section at any wal-mart. Get the one that plugs in the headphone jack, not the port part. It's better. Wait, did you mean no cables?

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Honestly, I'm using an FM transmitter that goes into my car's cigarette lighter port that's like 3 years old. It charges my Touch and it works great. I bought it for maybe 15 bucks. They're all the same poo poo.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Meijers had this little 10 dollar wireless FM transmitter for $10 or something. Works great on my friend's iPod Nano. Didn't try it on my iPod touch though.

On topic of this though, I tried a Philips cassetee adapter from Wal*Mart and it sucked. I could (with the volume low) hear the cassette making noises, and this happened in every deck I tried it on (My Mustang and my sister's Grand Am.)

I'm afraid to try any more of them, but Ford hates people and made the Mach 460 system in the car a "you either pull it all out and replace or deal with our system."

I have no options besides a transmitter or I would like a good cassette adapter that doesn't have horrible static or weird noises. I almost was tempted to buy the Monster one from amazon. I know Monster is overrated, but at least their products are expensive enough where they aren't crap. After trying 3 Philips on different iPods and cars, I'm a little disheartened on my search and everyone wants $20+ for one.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Well, there's a 1.1.3 jailbreak out in the wild now, but the documentation with it only mentions the iPhone. Has anybody attempted to use it on an iPod touch yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revelastushuesos
Apr 20, 2006

break my body, hold my bones

Stutes posted:

Well, there's a 1.1.3 jailbreak out in the wild now, but the documentation with it only mentions the iPhone. Has anybody attempted to use it on an iPod touch yet?

Works great! You have to buy the January update to get the 'wiggling' movable apps, though...

• Locked thread