Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

The boat myth was kinda dumb, because they actually did that jump when filming the movie and set a world record (which someone may have already mentioned). Plus people jump boats off ramps all the time at stunt shows at such. I think they just really wanted an excuse to jump a boat.

It definitely wasn't their best show.

I give them credit for still going full bore, but I have to wonder if their researchers are slacking. I don't think the well of "ridiculous stories that just might be true" will ever run dry, but between the steady decline of the quality of the myths they "choose" to bust and the absolute poo poo that they do now on fan suggestion shows, it makes me question if they're just being fed terrible material and trying their best to make a birthday cake out of dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

The Human Crouton posted:

Why does every fighting show have running as training? I want to see drills specific to the game or art. Running will help you in any physical endeavor. These participants are athletes. They can already loving run. Tell the people they are training with to stop making them run, or at least don't show that part.

I wouldn't mind seeing them run if they didn't have less than one week to magically prepare their bodies for the new sport. Remember the Chinese kickboxing episode? Where one of the trainers made one of the guys do some kind of exercise to improve leg strength? What he's going to strengthen his legs in LESS THAN FIVE DAYS? What's the point? The show is totally and utterly pointless.

Man vs. Wild owned up to the fact that most of their scenarios were completely set up and that Bear had the aid of others at pretty much all times and they slightly changed the format of the show as result of being called on this. The show is better for it too. It seems more fun now that its just Bear dicking around in the wild doing crazy poo poo trying to see what craziness he can get away with without getting hurt or sick.

On a different note, why the HELL is The History Channel advertising Monster Quest as a super scary show that is frightening the nation (or something like that?) There is nothing remotely scary about the show, and it doesn't even try to be. :psyduck: That's akin to advertising Dirty Jobs as being the most intense, action-pack drama on television.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

quote:

Of course, once done, this also meant the boys had manufactured armor piercing bullets, for which they do not possess the appropriate licenses in this sunny state. As such, I supervised their manufacture and took immediate custody of the bullets. I hand delivered them to the Alameda County Sheriff's Office for the evaluation, so there wouldn't be a legal issue. In essence, they were never in true "possession" of the bullets -- all of which were destroyed at ACSO.

I wonder what the result would be if Mythbusters took place somewhere without these goofball laws. Also, why didn't they try taping a road flare or two to a propane tank before using the incendiary stuff? That'll work B)

Edit:

quote:

The secret location is in Arizona, and rhymes with "shmillon."

Haha I loving knew it was Arizona! :D

Beeb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 19, 2008

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Electric Hobo posted:

The boat myth was kinda dumb, because they actually did that jump when filming the movie and set a world record (which someone may have already mentioned). Plus people jump boats off ramps all the time at stunt shows at such. I think they just really wanted an excuse to jump a boat.

It was mainly to test the seaworthiness of a standard boat after such a jump. In the movie you can't be sure just how well the boats soldier on after they spash down, such as taking on water and whatever. The General Lee made many such jumps but it wasn't pretty driveable afterwards.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Electric Hobo posted:

I watched Mindfreak a couple times, and while Criss Angel is a pretentious douche and the theme song makes My Chemical Romance look like Vivaldi, it was oddly entertaining. He does some pretty neat stuff, like sticking his hand through that guy's stomach.

This is pretty much what I think about him, too. He's kind of a douche, but he's definitely very good at what he does.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Electric Hobo posted:

They used custom made steel bullets. One of them made a passing comment about them using steel bullets, but the footage of them actually making the bullets got cut out apparently.

http://forum.mythbustersfanclub.com/index.php/topic,11552.0.html scroll down to the post(s) by alwaysjust1*, who is Lt. Alan Normandy.

Woah, cool. They should not have cut that bit out.

I finally watched the concrete arrestor bed Smash Lab and wow is that show intellectually bankrupt. Their tests are stupid and have no justification. What did they think smashing a car into the barrier would do? How could you think that a car with that velocity behind it could be stopped in such a short space without ridiculous G force/destruction of the car. Also the last test at the airstrip their was no reason to run a bus through. God drat.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm thinking Smash Lab will be canceled shortly. Think about it for a second. Adam never fails to remind us how vocal MB fans are in their criticisms of the shows experiments. Clearly they are marketing Smash Lab to the same audience who will, hopefully, never stand for this level of flat out stupidity.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Smash lab is like a Michael Bay movie with less racism and no hot chicks.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Electric Hobo posted:

It definitely wasn't their best show.

I think they are running out of ideas

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Just an aside, holy lol am I getting creepy internet person vibes from the "webmistress/administrator" of the mythbusters fan club site.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm thinking Smash Lab will be canceled shortly. Think about it for a second. Adam never fails to remind us how vocal MB fans are in their criticisms of the shows experiments. Clearly they are marketing Smash Lab to the same audience who will, hopefully, never stand for this level of flat out stupidity.

I think they're shooting more for the crowd that just likes explosions and crashes and stuff. The History Channel just rolled out a new show about the same thing called Shockwave.

Per their website:

quote:

A television news helicopter loses control over Brooklyn, New York, breaks into pieces and crash lands onto a rooftop. Everything is caught on tape. Watch as an Iowa cameraman and his brother find themselves rescuing their neighbors as a twister rips apart 40 homes. Next, disaster strikes as a Navy bomb is fired from a fighter...and hits another Navy plane. Then, as his family watches, a farmer bulldozes a 50-foot-tall silo down on top of himself. Witness one of the most spectacular accidents in the history of drag racing as a car hits the rail at 280 miles an hour, explodes into a fireball and disintegrates. And a fireworks factory explodes in Devon, England as the entire tiny town takes cover.

Remember when these channels used to have educational content? Give it another few years, there will be a show on one of these channels that is nothing but a train wrecking in slow motion.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Late to the thread...

The Deadliest Catch -

I love this show but the main thing I'd wish for is that they would date and timestamp the events and show how far through the season the boats are. It's very disorienting with no sense of how much time has actually passed or how long the season is.

Survivorman -

I wish Les would "build upon" lessons in successive shows, like for instance establish a foundation of knowledge for firestarting, shelter building or water distilling techniques etc. "So, to recap what we've learned in previous shows, these are the firestarting techniques when you have x available, when you have y available, and when you have z. Since we are now in situation omega, I'm going to show you something new." I think it would be more educational over all if he did something like this.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

The commercials for it have a retarded slogan, too. Interspersed with clips of the pilot, the screen says "YOU WATCH FOR THE SCIENCE... BUT WE KNOW THE REAL REASON."

No, evidently, you don't. Explosions are fun, but if I just want to watch poo poo blow up, I can put on any "caught on camera" show or any number of YouTube clips.

IfYouSeeKay
Jul 21, 2003

I want to feel you from the inside
My 8 year old son and I watched Smash Labs last night. It really is as horrible as you all make it out to be. Here are some of the questions he asked me during the show.

"Why don't they just ask Volvo to find out about car crashes?"
"Did these guys really go to college?"
"What's wrong with that girls teeth?"
"Why would anyone build a road like that?"
"Why are they always running in a line?"
"I don't understand the bus thing. Are they expecting everyone to ride a bus?"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Eunabomber posted:

Just an aside, holy lol am I getting creepy internet person vibes from the "webmistress/administrator" of the mythbusters fan club site.

Just from the "webmistress/adminstrator"? I always figured that practically everyone there was a goons.jpg superstar that either drools over Kari or debates to death the "science" of the show (NUH UH YOU CAN NOT/CAN SO DO [myth] THIS WAS WRONG).

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

Just from the "webmistress/adminstrator"? I always figured that practically everyone there was a goons.jpg superstar that either drools over Kari or debates to death the "science" of the show (NUH UH YOU CAN NOT/CAN SO DO [myth] THIS WAS WRONG).

My favorite thread is where someone asks where is the website to order dead pig carcasses.

Edit- found it:
http://forum.mythbustersfanclub.com/index.php/topic,10949.0.html

WHY????!!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Eunabomber posted:

My favorite thread is where someone asks where is the website to order dead pig carcasses.

Edit- found it:
http://forum.mythbustersfanclub.com/index.php/topic,10949.0.html

WHY????!!
Step one: Buy 3 of them
Step two: Spraypaint the numbers 1,2,4 onto their sides
Step three: Release them as a HILARIOUS SENIOR PRANK MAN gently caress HIGH SCHOOL

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

I don't know what possessed Kari to cut her hair so short and dye it that bright red, but ugh... :sigh:

Also, I guess this is going to be of those shows. :rolleyes:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Remember: please don't try building your own giant lead balloon at home.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Shockwave looks absolutely :psyduck:!

I saw commercials over christmas and it basically was just a house blowing up or a race car crashing!! HOW HISTORICAL!!!

I still like Man Vs. Wild and reading his blog was a bit disappointed they nixed an idea where people would go out with him and he would help them "survive." At the very least Man Vs. Wild is good entertainment, it shows exotic locales, and you kind of feel smarter/more educated about the outdoors in where ever Bear happened to for X episode. Smash Labs is just retard science.

Also, I saw the Monster Quest with the 'Stalin Ape Army.' That was embarrassing to watch.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I like how the hot chick on Smash Lab is the "scientist" but there's no science involved in the show.

I wonder how it feels to get a mechanical engineering degree just so you can be eye candy.

Free Market Gravy posted:

I don't know what possessed Kari to cut her hair so short and dye it that bright red, but ugh... :sigh:

I thought it looked cute. :3:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, her haircut was strange when she had it pinned up haphazardly but she's often had wacky dye jobs and I thought it was a good length when she wore it normally.

They're pretty far from myths but I must admit the craft behind their lead balloon was kind of neat. Watching it inflate was kind of suspenseful and seeing it carrying the tiny basket was a nice conclusion. The other myth was trash though despite explosives.

This is probably my last episode of Smash Lab, but I'm sort of miffed that they had all the money to put together that air cannon when the other show has to cannibalize legendary devices like the Sharammer to make each new air cannon they need.

I'm curious how boarding up a mobile home and wrapping in it burlap would do. Also, I'm more than a little pissed that they didn't at least provide a build material cost at the end of the show. If this is some sort of "solution", why wouldn't they at least talk about the practicality of it?

Ah, who cares.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

Yeah, her haircut was strange when she had it pinned up haphazardly but she's often had wacky dye jobs and I thought it was a good length when she wore it normally.

They're pretty far from myths but I must admit the craft behind their lead balloon was kind of neat. Watching it inflate was kind of suspenseful and seeing it carrying the tiny basket was a nice conclusion. The other myth was trash though despite explosives.

This is probably my last episode of Smash Lab, but I'm sort of miffed that they had all the money to put together that air cannon when the other show has to cannibalize legendary devices like the Sharammer to make each new air cannon they need.

I'm curious how boarding up a mobile home and wrapping in it burlap would do. Also, I'm more than a little pissed that they didn't at least provide a build material cost at the end of the show. If this is some sort of "solution", why wouldn't they at least talk about the practicality of it?

Ah, who cares.

When has this show ever been about being practical? Remember the super clumsy, ugly, window board/guard things they invented that pretty much defeat the purpose of a WINDOW?

Shockwave would have been right at home on TLC several years ago. Seeing as some of the footage appeared on a TLC show or two back then. Among other "incredible things caught on film!" type shows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ape Agitator posted:

Ah, who cares.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but in terms of practicality, this IS the same show that thought it was a good idea to pour like 8 feet of aerated concrete around freeway dividers.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

I thought it looked cute. :3:

It wasn't bad down, but up it looked haggard and she was cuter with the natural red anyway. Personal preference, I guess.

That show wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it was pretty "eh."

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't think any episode will be that great until the memory of the water heater episode fades from my mind.

I mean really, how could they top that?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Electric Hobo posted:

I don't think any episode will be that great until the memory of the water heater episode fades from my mind.

By actually playing the loving MacGyver episode. Did I just miss it or something?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

By actually playing the loving MacGyver episode. Did I just miss it or something?

No, I think they're just messing with our heads. :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm still mad Mythbusters didn't test my death ray myth. All it needs is a Van de Graff generator of arbitrarily large size and a laser powerful enough to ionize air! :science:

The James Bond episode felt kind of weak (the steel bullet making shouldn't have been cut, that sounds neat) but the lead baloon episode was pretty drat cool.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Upcoming Mythbusters:

Airplane on a Conveyor Belt January 30, 2008
James Bond Special 2 February 6, 2008
Viewer Pick Special 2 February 13, 2008
MacGyver Special February 20, 2008
100th Episode Special TBA

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zero One posted:

Upcoming Mythbusters:

Airplane on a Conveyor Belt January 30, 2008
James Bond Special 2 February 6, 2008
Viewer Pick Special 2 February 13, 2008
MacGyver Special February 20, 2008
100th Episode Special TBA

They originally had the airplane one scheduled earlier too. I was quite angry when they delayed it. Even though I know what will happen. It'll be nice for them to finally settle the question for the idiots who think that the plane w

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

It'll be nice for them to finally settle the question for the idiots...

You'd think, wouldn't you? People who honestly believe what they believe will dismiss the Mythbusters as junk science and pure entertainment if the MB's verdict disagrees with their own personal opinion.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Free Market Gravy posted:

You'd think, wouldn't you? People who honestly believe what they believe will dismiss the Mythbusters as junk science and pure entertainment if the MB's verdict disagrees with their own personal opinion.

True, you'd think this one would be pretty hard to gently caress up, but I've seen the Mythbusters do some pretty boneheaded stuff in the past.

But also that was a joke.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Airplane on a conveyor belt? :confused:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

James Bond 2 had better be pretty drat good to justify pushing back the MacGyver episode to the 20th :argh:

Electric Hobo posted:

They could find some bullshit excuse to replicate this, the greatest :science: explosion test of all time, hands down.

Remember, remember the Fifth of November...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Electric Hobo posted:

Airplane on a conveyor belt? :confused:

Whether or not the plane will take off has been a retarded GBS debate of epic proportions because a whole lot of people are complete idiots.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

IRQ posted:

Whether or not the plane will take off has been a retarded GBS debate of epic proportions because a whole lot of people are complete idiots.

What is the myth about though? I've never heard of it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Electric Hobo posted:

What is the myth about though? I've never heard of it.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060203.html

I left the Straight Dope board just as this was going full swing.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Comcast OnDemand has a series of short videos with Jamie giving a tour of M5. It's kind of interesting just to see the areas of the workshop without all of the TV lighting. The room they introduce the myths in now is a set, but on the older episodes they used Jamie's office. There's also a lot of areas of the office you never see, there's a whole upstairs which is pretty cool. Every single corner of the building is full of artifacts from SFX jobs and stuff from the show.

Jamie comes across as a crazy person though, he spends half of one segment talking about every single random nut and bolt in the machine room and the other half passive-aggressively dressing down the cameraman because there are too many pencils in the cup next to the phone. You kind of get the impression that he doesn't really want to be on TV, he just wants to be left alone with his toys.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0ticus
Apr 16, 2005
hey skin like a doll

max4me posted:

I guess modern marvels should just due an hour on cobol programing

gently caress yes I would watch this. That's what Modern Marvels is all about. The history behind the nerdiest, most mundane poo poo possible.

But back to Discovery Channel. I agree that Smashlab is a joke. But more importantly, does anyone know if Survivorman has been approved for another season?

• Locked thread