Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Does he actually write the strip with the mindset that this is an ongoing game he's just illustrating or is this something we just impose over all the strips since he's normally so concious of rules in most situations?
Well, have you ever read "Murphy's Rules"? (Here's an example.) I think that most of the humor in OotS comes from just this sort of thing.

So, yes, it's DM Fiat, but it's used for humorous effect. It's not really like there's an actual bunch of people "playing" the OotS; this is just what life would be like in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Did... Did Hayley really yell "SNEAK ATTACK!" to perform her sneak attack?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Semiru posted:

Did... Did Hayley really yell "SNEAK ATTACK!" to perform her sneak attack?

I think she has every time, for the last 400 strips, or so.

Edit: Except when she was speaking in cryptograms.

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple

Piell posted:

Cats actually have a -12 to grapple checks, due to their strength penalty, so grappling her is unlikely to work. This assumes he has no class levels. If this counts as a surprise round, he only gets 1 attack. If it doesn't, then he can attack three times.

I know I should probably chalk up Scruffy's combat ability to authorial license, but Burlew has a history of introducing apparent inconsistencies only to resolve them later. Even when he does fudge the rules, he's usually within at least some plausible interpretation of them. I remember him posting to his message boards a long analysis of the combat in which Miko captured the whole OotS. It was, as Roy noted, a DM railroad, but it *could* have gone the way Rich wrote it.

I'm calling Scruffy as some sort of shapeshifter, possibly a high level wizard or an outsider.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
I'd say he writes it in as Belkar's animal companion. Assuming he's got at least 12 ranger levels the cat's getting another 2 str and 4 bonus HD. That means while still being pretty bad with some reasonable circumstance bonuses (surprise etc) it'd have a chance. Plus lets face it, Mystic Theurge's aren't going to have that great of BAB to begin with.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Ashcans posted:

Isn't Belkar a Ranger? He's got to have at least four or five levels in that now. Would it be possible for Mr. Scruffy to have become his Animal Companion? :haw:

It would be possible, but it takes 24 hours to gain a new animal companion. Belkar only re-discovered Mr. Scruffy a few minutes ago.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kramer posted:

It would be possible, but it takes 24 hours to gain a new animal companion. Belkar only re-discovered Mr. Scruffy a few minutes ago.

I thought he said he was keeping the cat around for a reason? I took that to mean he had found Mr Scruffy awhile back and was just keeping him in the sack.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dire weasels have an ability to 'latch on' to an opponent if they hit, automatically. Maybe scruffy happens to as well. Also scruffy isn't necessarily grappling, it could just be attacking her on her action by holding its own action, and she has a really crappy concentration check.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Soonmot posted:

I thought he said he was keeping the cat around for a reason? I took that to mean he had found Mr Scruffy awhile back and was just keeping him in the sack.

I thought Mr. Scruffy was what he made his Spot check to find.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Kramer posted:

Does a paladin's mount keep it's stat bonuses and all that after the paladin dies? Could have been the head paladin's mount, just cast enlarge on it or something and bam, paladin on a giant cat. We've already had a shark as a mount, why not a cat you have to enlarge?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

seaborgium posted:

Does a paladin's mount keep it's stat bonuses and all that after the paladin dies? Could have been the head paladin's mount, just cast enlarge on it or something and bam, paladin on a giant cat. We've already had a shark as a mount, why not a cat you have to enlarge?

He wasn't a Paladin. As he pointed out to Roy, he'd just been had by an NPC class. Chaotic Good Nobles rarely have divine mounts.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

gothfae posted:

He wasn't a Paladin. As he pointed out to Roy, he'd just been had by an NPC class. Chaotic Good Nobles rarely have divine mounts.

drat, forgot about that. Worth a shot.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Sefer posted:

You have to make a Concentration check if you take damage while you're casting a spell. So you have to get hit while casting a spell longer than one round, be taking continuous damage (from an ongoing fire or acid or the like), or someone has to hit you with an attack of opportunity or readied attack while you're casting a normal standard action spell. You also need to make a concentration check to cast a spell while grappled, so either the cat isn't grappling and would get an attack of opportunity in the case of a spell, or the cat is grappling and would force a check that way. Of course, in the case of an attack of opportunity, she could make an easier concentration check to avoid the AoO in the first place.

I'll never understand why people don't cast defensive all the time when faced with combat that could Threaten. My player's finally got in the habit. DC 15 + spell level to cast defensive (provoking no AoOs) versus 10 + spell level + damage taken for each AoO taken. Any attack is most likely going to deal more than 5 damage.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Mortanis posted:

I'll never understand why people don't cast defensive all the time when faced with combat that could Threaten. My player's finally got in the habit. DC 15 + spell level to cast defensive (provoking no AoOs) versus 10 + spell level + damage taken for each AoO taken. Any attack is most likely going to deal more than 5 damage.

Casting defensively doesn't help if someone readies an action to attack you as you cast your spell.

But yes, if you're stuck in someone's threatened area and can't 5-foot step away, you should always cast defensively.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

:siren:New strip is up!:siren:

Roy's not looking so hot.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahahaha. I laughed out loud twice, and we finally got to see Roy's skeleton!

I also hope Belkar has a secret lawful good part of his personality that is only activated by the presence of kittens.

Also, please let the next strip begin with every cardboard box in town being torn apart.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Spikey posted:

:siren:New strip is up!:siren:

Roy's not looking so hot.

Please re-host when this happens :(

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Amused Frog posted:

Please re-host when this happens :(

Here's a rehost.

Just remember to hit the real site later, once the bandwidth-rape goes away. If Rich gets more hits, maybe he'll get more bandwidth.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

IMJack posted:

Here's a rehost.

Just remember to hit the real site later, once the bandwidth-rape goes away. If Rich gets more hits, maybe he'll get more bandwidth.

Thanks, and I always do, if only to check for updates (I'm very optimistic).

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

IMJack posted:

Here's a rehost.

Whutta great comic. Tsukiko's meltdown at Belkar, Belkars "lot to think about" line, the hidden door, the Roy corpsewagon... whutta great comic.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
New comic's up :) Yes i'm not linking because i'm an rear end in a top hat :)

Okay then :( Here it is

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

IMJack posted:

He's really cranking them out, maybe he's trying to make Erfworld feel so ashamed they commit seppuku.
And Belkar and Mr. Scruffy certainly seem to have a ranger/Animal companion relationship going.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ok, we get it, Belkar's evil. Can we move on? It seems like the past five strips have been "Belkar is evil, get it?" It makes me want to go on his message board and post theories as to why he may actually be chaotic good.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

greatn posted:

Ok, we get it, Belkar's evil. Can we move on? It seems like the past five strips have been "Belkar is evil, get it?" It makes me want to go on his message board and post theories as to why he may actually be chaotic good.

It is tiresome. Belkar is probably the least interesting of the main characters, not because the others are much better developed, but because the whole evil thing is more predictable than the others, or at least comes up much more frequently.

I suppose that's how it has to be in a comic based of D&D though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

greatn posted:

If I know Burlew he's put some thought behind even that. Because I agree with you the last few strips has been purely "Belkar = Evil fucker", maybe they switch back to Roy and Roy musing on about how he atleast had some control over Belkar or somesuch.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I think we may be building up to something, because Belkar's really been riding Haley ragged in these past strips. I agree that Belkar is a more tiresome character than the rest of the crew, but I'm beginning to suspect there's a fallout coming up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If I were Haley I'd just sneak attack the poo poo out of him once he turns his back.

I mean, assuming as a PC she's actually being played by a player. We generally don't put up with this kind of poo poo as players in my campaign. If someone is being an rear end in a top hat and wandering off all the time, we let them die if not take care of it ourselves until they mange to start playing a character actually interested in being part of the group.

greatn fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 20, 2008

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Whatever font that Gobwin Knob is using is terrible.

It's updated in case anyone is interested.

Detetsu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 20, 2008

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Erfworld makes a lot more sense if you sit down and read it in one sitting. He's going for a pre-planned backstory combined with a 'Life on Mars' style 'is this real?' angle.

I think it's mainly his update schedule that's hurting him. People would be able to cut him a lot more slack if things didn't drag so much.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Erfworld's last few strips have been considerably better than a lot of the comic because they're not terribly done, he's providing some interesting information that does offer a contribution, and the stupid internet references are an auxiliary instead of the focus. Which means that the next update will probably be in three weeks, and the entire thing will be a setup for a lolcats joke. Or else he's actually improving!

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Ashcans posted:

Erfworld's last few strips have been considerably better than a lot of the comic because they're not terribly done, he's providing some interesting information that does offer a contribution, and the stupid internet references are an auxiliary instead of the focus. Which means that the next update will probably be in three weeks, and the entire thing will be a setup for a lolcats joke. Or else he's actually improving!

At this point I honestly think it would be hilarious if the entire last page is a giant, fantasy-styled :awesome: (the original, obviously)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, I mean, all the stupid internet stuff is because the main character needs to be concerned with how much the place matches up with his brain. And he's a sad internet nerd.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Yeah, I actually rather enjoy the comic myself (now that we're out of the incestuous lesbian bondage scenes) and I've been one of the people saying "c'mon guys, give him a chance, he's barely done any pages so far."

I just think it's be a total letdown but utterly hilarious if he were to throw it all in our faces in, like, 300 pages. "Yeah! This entire series? It was just a leadup to another stupid internet joke! And now I'm gonna draw twenty pages of hardcore incestuous lesbian bondage."

I'd be disappointed. But I'd still be amused.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

ZorbaTHut posted:

I've been one of the people saying "c'mon guys, give him a chance, he's barely done any pages so far."

This is one of the reasons I'm tired of giving him a chance. I can understand family illness, I'm sympathetic. It's (sometimes) an enjoyable read. But if it weren't riding on the freight train that is Order of the Stick, it would be practically dead.

Moving away from Parson, into this Whole FAQ, King Banhammer, blah blah backstory blah, elicited from me a sigh of meh. Until they can prove they can stick to a regular updating schedule, Klog the backstory. It' worked so far. Jillian and Ansom are whatever the opposite of interesting are. At least Stanley has a personality, he's a little poo poo, but he's more interesting to watch than Ansom.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ZorbaTHut posted:

Yeah, I actually rather enjoy the comic myself (now that we're out of the incestuous lesbian bondage scenes)

Wait, incestuous? I must not have caught the incest part.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I think he meant pedo-tastic, not that it's any better.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Wait, incestuous? I must not have caught the incest part.

For some reason I thought they were sisters, but I can't find any evidence of that now so I guess I was wrong.

It's still pretty :gonk: though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gothfae posted:

Moving away from Parson, into this Whole FAQ, King Banhammer, blah blah backstory blah, elicited from me a sigh of meh. Until they can prove they can stick to a regular updating schedule, Klog the backstory. It' worked so far. Jillian and Ansom are whatever the opposite of interesting are. At least Stanley has a personality, he's a little poo poo, but he's more interesting to watch than Ansom.

That is true. As much as I really do like Erfworld, Jillian and Ansom really are the opposite of interesting. The evil side has a lot more personality; particularly because they even have the most compelling nice-guy characters (Bogroll, my favorite, and the Dirtamancer [though yes, Halloween Jack, Vinnie Doombats is pretty awesome]). Do you think it is intentional? It would actually be kinda brilliant if he put all of the readers' emotional investment behind Parson and his semi-bumbling evil team, and then did pull the rug out and have Parson forced to switch sides to stay alive, making us like both sides!! !!! Or maybe he will just have a page-length :awesome:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Quarex posted:

That is true. As much as I really do like Erfworld, Jillian and Ansom really are the opposite of interesting. The evil side has a lot more personality; particularly because they even have the most compelling nice-guy characters (Bogroll, my favorite, and the Dirtamancer [though yes, Halloween Jack, Vinnie Doombats is pretty awesome]). Do you think it is intentional? It would actually be kinda brilliant if he put all of the readers' emotional investment behind Parson and his semi-bumbling evil team, and then did pull the rug out and have Parson forced to switch sides to stay alive, making us like both sides!! !!! Or maybe he will just have a page-length :awesome:.

Evil!? "I'm curious, Hamster. What makes you think we're the bad guys?"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0032.html