Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Evil!? "I'm curious, Hamster. What makes you think we're the bad guys?"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0032.html

There whole thing where Hamster is threatened with being disbanded all the time, the pseudo-torture-aka-lesbian-sex thing, necromancy all over the place, ...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Vanadium posted:

There whole thing where Hamster is threatened with being disbanded all the time, the pseudo-torture-aka-lesbian-sex thing, necromancy all over the place, ...?

Not to mention that his whole reason behind "we're not evil" is because he doesn't believe good and evil even exist. As readers we know he’s wrong, so Stanley doesn’t have much of a point.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich
New strip is up!

Nice banner!

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Anomalous posted:

Nice banner!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

Not to mention that his whole reason behind "we're not evil" is because he doesn't believe good and evil even exist. As readers we know he’s wrong, so Stanley doesn’t have much of a point.

We do?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Vanadium posted:

Hmm. I was actually being facetious, I just found it funny that Stanley would address that in the comic. I don't actually believe any of that.

That being said, I'm glad OOTS had a double-length update today. It's been a while since they posted a new strip.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Bobulus posted:

We do?

I don't. From what I've seen, Ansom hates Stanley because he's not a Noble, Jillian hates Stanley because she thinks he destroyed her Kingdom, Croakamancy is hardly a gauge of evil since it's a game mechanic, and every good army is going to have them. Parson thinks Stanley is evil because Stanley's a poo poo, and I think it's easier on Parson if he keeps the "black and white, good/evil, this is all a game" attitude to keep him from going insane, and not admit how morally grey everything is. The threat of disbandment, well that's conservation of resources in a world when you can pop a new unit if needed. After all, Stanley is keeping Parson around, even though his upkeep is outrageous and he is, by all definitions, a complete failure at what Stanley wanted. He didn't disband Wanda, despite her failure, which led to a loss of more units than he can recover from. As for the lesbian bondage stuff, that obviously started long before Wanda was part of Stanley's retinue, so it's hardly a sign of evil either. Wanda uses sex to control people, whether it's Jillian or Stanley. The only difference is I think she actually gave a poo poo about Jillian.
Stanley has a huge ego, and a chip on his shoulder the size of Hamster, but when he tells Parson there is no good or evil in this battle, I think he means it.

I don't have high expectations of this comic, which is about the only thing that keeps it enjoyable, but I do expect them to be above painting Erfworld in swathing shades of black and white. Jillian's "You don't understand, I like it" speech, should go a long way to showing the moral greyness of this particular universe. I mean, it's not like "Alignment" is a stat that Parson can see with his fancy 3-D shades. So maybe.. alignment isn't a stat.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Does domination have a time limit nowadays, or is it permanent until dispelled or broken in some way?

Also would Roy/Eugene be able to scry on Xykkon/Redcloak, or is that the wrong type of connection for scrying? (I really want to see what they are up to; I have a feeling that they're going to be the focus of the next plot arc).

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Dominate Person is 1 day/level, but they can get a new save under the circumstances that go against their nature. Since a successful save negates it, it ends there. If you just have them bumming around as a bodyguard or manual laborer, it'll last the full duration.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gothfae posted:

I don't. From what I've seen, Ansom hates Stanley because he's not a Noble, Jillian hates Stanley because she thinks he destroyed her Kingdom, Croakamancy is hardly a gauge of evil since it's a game mechanic, and every good army is going to have them.

This post was great. It had never occurred to me that there was any way Stanley was not the evil side, but you make some compelling points. Now, it WAS obvious that Stanley was not as evil as he COULD be, since he did not disband anyone despite their incredible failures. Though I figured between his soft spot for Wanda (she did sleep with him, after all) and his obvious complete loss of interest in his home city, that could explain not disbanding anyone.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Quarex posted:

This post was great. It had never occurred to me that there was any way Stanley was not the evil side, but you make some compelling points. Now, it WAS obvious that Stanley was not as evil as he COULD be, since he did not disband anyone despite their incredible failures. Though I figured between his soft spot for Wanda (she did sleep with him, after all) and his obvious complete loss of interest in his home city, that could explain not disbanding anyone.
I suspect the main city is suppose to be bait - everybody is trying to take the city, and Stanley sets up a new capital elsewhere. Probably then Parson will have a 'winnable' war on his hands, beats the army left behind to take the city, and...

well, who knows?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

You guys talking about erfworld are really confusing me. Go make another thread or something.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

terminal mehmet posted:

You guys talking about erfworld are really confusing me. Go make another thread or something.

I vote for "or something". Thanks for giving us a choice.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jonked posted:

I suspect the main city is suppose to be bait - everybody is trying to take the city, and Stanley sets up a new capital elsewhere. Probably then Parson will have a 'winnable' war on his hands, beats the army left behind to take the city, and...

well, who knows?

I assumed Parson is eventually going to set himself up as a new Overlord, independent of Stanley. He's got a handful of troops, a variety of leader-level tools popping daily, and his ability to not-quite fit the world probably means he doesn't have to follow the normal rules of succession.

Then he's going to have to make some hard decisions about what he wants to do.

Does he follow his gamer-nerd impulses and push back once he's in a position of power, igniting a new war against his former enemies? Does he attempt to sue for peace until he can figure out a way to get back home? Does he even want to at that point?

I think it's notable that his two closest advisers have switched sides at least once already (from FAQ / Saline IV).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Quarex posted:

I agree, gothfae makes a stunning argument for not seeing Stanley's side as "evil." I think the fact that Ansom wears all white and has a striking countenance makes him seem like the quintessential good guy, but one of his trusted men is a vampire, which is classically evil.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
I think you're all being retarded and erfworld is the same pile of poo poo that it has always been. The idea of the seemingly good guy turning out to be evil is a huge cliche. How people can talk about erf more than Goblins in this thread is beyond me.

(edit) woops!

happyelf fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 24, 2008

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

gothfae posted:

I vote for "or something". Thanks for giving us a choice.

No problem, man.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

happyelf posted:

I think you're all being retarded and OOTS is the same pile of poo poo that it has always been. The idea of the seemingly good guy turning out to be evil is a huge cliche. How people can talk about OOTS more than Goblins in this thread is beyond me.

It's actually more that neither the initially perceived good guy or bad guy is "good" or "bad," but rather that the issue isn't clear at all that either fits into one category or the other.

FAKE EDIT: You can't tell OOTS from Erfworld and you misunderstood that we're talking about how uncliche the situation is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's a new Goblins comic up, and it continues the tradition of brutality!

http://goblinscomic.com/d/20080123.html

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a new Goblins comic up, and it continues the tradition of brutality!

http://goblinscomic.com/d/20080123.html

Also, amazingly enough, a new Erfworld, and it appears the Thinkamancer is Margaret "Maggie" Thatcher.

And it goes a long way towards explaining what has happened to three of our other casters.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0093.html

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

gothfae posted:

Also, amazingly enough, a new Erfworld, and it appears the Thinkamancer is Margaret "Maggie" Thatcher.

And it goes a long way towards explaining what has happened to three of our other casters.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0093.html

So, what does that mean? Stanley was using suggestion to control his casters?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I think it means he was using the Foolamancer (his nephew?) to control his casters. Or someone else had used Suggestion on Misty and the Foolamancer.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I thought it implied the thinkamancer was using suggestion to control the other two, and that is why she is fine.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Gally posted:

I thought it implied the thinkamancer was using suggestion to control the other two, and that is why she is fine.

No, they were all linked together to make everything work. Remember Wanda saying that linking them all together was one of the most amazing things Stanley had ever conceived. When the link was broken, Misty died and the foolamancer was broken. But the linkmaker, The Thinkamancer, was fine.

The Lookamancer (Misty) surveyed the battlefield, The Foolamancer animated the command tabletop with his illusions, the Thinkamancer (Maggie) kept them all in contact, and tied them in with the books. It's why they didn't need scouts, and had a full view of the battlefeild. And didn't need hats or thinkagrams.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 25, 2008

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention
Is it wrong that I'm starting to like Erfworld more than OotS all of a sudden? The recent strips with Parson have really punched stuff up nice and concise, whereas OotS has a tendency to go on and on and on explicating each tiny occurrence.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Potsticker posted:

I agree, gothfae makes a stunning argument for not seeing Stanley's side as "evil." I think the fact that Ansom wears all white and has a striking countenance makes him seem like the quintessential good guy, but one of his trusted men is a vampire, which is classically evil.
There's also the fact that he dresses up like Evel Kenievel. or however the hell you spell that guy's name.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

There's also the fact that he dresses up like Evel Kenievel. or however the hell you spell that guy's name.

Evel Knievel :flashfact:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

green leaf salad posted:

Is it wrong that I'm starting to like Erfworld more than OotS all of a sudden? The recent strips with Parson have really punched stuff up nice and concise, whereas OotS has a tendency to go on and on and on explicating each tiny occurrence.

Yes. It is wrong. It took almost 100 strips for Erfworld to accomplish anything, IMO.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

green leaf salad posted:

I think Erfworld's gotten through most of the exposition setting up the universe and the rules and whatnot, and with the armies closing in and Parson in charge Exciting Things should be happening soon. So to an extent I agree.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Seriously, go create a seperate Erfworld thread. I keep getting my hopes up that OotS is updated.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Werle posted:

Seriously, go create a seperate Erfworld thread. I keep getting my hopes up that OotS is updated.

Please do this.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

The Werle posted:

It would be totally unsustainable. Not enough people care!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

green leaf salad posted:

This is a good thing.

And in interesting news, Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic is as good and entertaining as ever, and the most recent storyline is doing a good job of showing the author's willingness to kill of main characters. Maybe not as much as Goblins, but this one comes back as a zombie!

bgaesop fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 26, 2008

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

green leaf salad posted:

Then take it to the generic webcomic thread. OotS can carry its own weight when it updates, but you've had 2 pages straight of practically nothing but Erfworld and its killing OotS discussion by breaking stuff up.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
Yep-- Erfworld should go in the other thread.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Werle posted:

Then take it to the generic webcomic thread. OotS can carry its own weight when it updates, but you've had 2 pages straight of practically nothing but Erfworld and its killing OotS discussion by breaking stuff up.

There's not much OOTS to discuss right now, really. I mean, during the big war for Azure City or Miko losing her paladinhood lots of major stuff was going on, but now its a lot more slow-paced/gag-strip again.

Plus, they're on the same website, and Goblins is also thrown in occasionally without anyone balking. You just don't see it now because it takes roughly six months for characters to walk from one room to another in Goblins.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Wolfsheim posted:

You just don't see it now because it takes roughly six months for characters to walk from one room to another in Goblins.

I think there's a joke waiting here along the same lines of "how to shoot yourself in the foot in various programming languages."

Goblins
It takes six months to get to the next room, but once you do it's totally awesome.

OOTS
The room is 10 feet by 10 feet. There is an orc inside. He has a pie.

Erfworld
The Woom contains the Lolcat's Knife of Dwagonslaying. You get dwunk, and there are giwls there, lol.

Achewood
the room is a state of mind, if you are not in the room you are not prepared to live
(alt-text: Roast Beef skirts the room, gingerly cradling his fruit punch.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Who wants to read the generic webcomics thread just to talk about the comic that shares a page with the comic this thread is about? I hope you whiny bitches that finally succeeded in getting Erfworld thrown out of this thread series all get a nasty case of The Computer Heebie-Jeebies.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quarex posted:

Who wants to read the generic webcomics thread just to talk about the comic that shares a page with the comic this thread is about? I hope you whiny bitches that finally succeeded in getting Erfworld thrown out of this thread series all get a nasty case of The Computer Heebie-Jeebies.

And I, with my pitchfork-and-torch wielding brethren, are happy to be rid of those who chose to sully our majestic Order with that utter nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

The Midniter posted:

And I, with my pitchfork-and-torch wielding brethren, are happy to be rid of those who chose to sully our majestic Order with that utter nonsense.

I don't mind one way or another. I'm not going to try and follow the generic webcomics thread nor create a thread for a comic, that while it might have readers, hasn't proved itself regular enough to sustain one.

My only request is that this be blanket. That this be OotS, not any other Generic Fantasy Webcomic. Because the only reason that Erfworld ever popped up in here was because it shared Giants in the Playground. I'd come to this thread, update, or no, and often check GitP afterwards, and perhaps notice an update to the other comic. Read it, and I'm still sitting in this thread. At least that was always the chain of events that caused me to initiate any Erf-talk.

The other fantasy comics that rotate through here, don't even have that as an excuse, and it should be either all or nothing. Not middling.