Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Citizen Dildoe
Jan 28, 2003

BattleSitar Galactica

Stutes posted:

Well, there's a 1.1.3 jailbreak out in the wild now, but the documentation with it only mentions the iPhone. Has anybody attempted to use it on an iPod touch yet?

Goon and rogue developer, Eagle_Fire said in the iPhone Megathread that it would brick the Touch if you tried.

Eagle_Fire posted:

To answer some questions:

- It will brick an iPod Touch if you try it
- Unlocked phones are okay, they still work
- Some apps don't work after the upgrade, including my TTR
- There's a chance it will break your phone and you'll have to restore through iTunes

EDIT: Huh, I guess revelastushuesos had a different story to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I briefly read the more info page for the 1.1.3 soft upgrade, and since it looks like the hack is applied by upgrading in a different manner, is it possible to do the upgrade without losing all your apps and settings?

In a similar vein, what is the best way to back up a touch before attempting anything that is likely to clear it?

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Citizen Dildoe posted:

Goon and rogue developer, Eagle_Fire said in the iPhone Megathread that it would brick the Touch if you tried.

EDIT: Huh, I guess revelastushuesos had a different story to tell.

'brick' an ipod touch? Does anyone loving use the term 'brick' correctly?

There was an error the first time that I tried to do it which rendered the ipod inoperable until I did a restore. I tried it again and it worked great. I'm using my jailbroken 1.1.3 ipod touch right now.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Well I'm running 1.1.3 jailbroken on the iPod now. Hopefully this isnt :filez: but by a simple file rename via sftp you can switch to the iphone version of the firmware and get access to all of the normal iphone 1.1.3 apps like maps, wobble, etc. Until a better method comes along.

Wobble is really nice, it's a lot better than using customize, I can now also add my yahoo account into the mail app unlike before, and the maps app found my location in my house instantly, I'm not even sure how. Overall a pretty good update!

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I purchased the new mail/weather/stocks-apps from iTunes...any idea if they will still (legally) be there if I choose to jailbreak 1.1.3?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

VibrioCholera posted:

I have no options besides a transmitter or I would like a good cassette adapter that doesn't have horrible static or weird noises. I almost was tempted to buy the Monster one from amazon. I know Monster is overrated, but at least their products are expensive enough where they aren't crap. After trying 3 Philips on different iPods and cars, I'm a little disheartened on my search and everyone wants $20+ for one.
I had the same dilema as you a few years ago, the cassette adapter that came with my Sony discman was broke and I needed a replacement. I bought the Monster with the same logic as you ("I know it's overpriced but at least it should work") but it was horrible. It barely worked - my tape deck would keep fast-forwarding it and you could only slightly hear the output. I tried it in a 2001 Impala and the factory tape deck would spit it right back out. I took it back to Best Buy to return it and they told me at the counter that they see a TON of them get returned because they don't work.

Try and find a Sony cassette adapter on Amazon. They're the best in my experience. I know around the time I was looking they were about $10.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tuna posted:

Well I'm running 1.1.3 jailbroken on the iPod now. Hopefully this isnt :filez: but by a simple file rename via sftp you can switch to the iphone version of the firmware and get access to all of the normal iphone 1.1.3 apps like maps, wobble, etc. Until a better method comes along.

Wobble is really nice, it's a lot better than using customize, I can now also add my yahoo account into the mail app unlike before, and the maps app found my location in my house instantly, I'm not even sure how. Overall a pretty good update!

Doesn't this put the iphone firmware on your iPod? Including installing applications we can't use like Camera and Phone? Is there a specific guide you used for the ipod 1.1.3 jailbreak, because I don't want to restore and have to do 1.1.1 jailbreak again if I can avoid it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

gargamale posted:

Doesn't this put the iphone firmware on your iPod? Including installing applications we can't use like Camera and Phone? Is there a specific guide you used for the ipod 1.1.3 jailbreak, because I don't want to restore and have to do 1.1.1 jailbreak again if I can avoid it.

I used this method. I've heard a few issues can arise if you've got certain things installed. I personally restored 1.1.1 fresh for 1.1.3 jailbreak because I wanted to replace customize and springboard with the wobble thing, which works a lot better (I didn't really use themes). Even after the restore it kept all my notes, music, photos etc.

The iPhone apps only show up when you follow this little process (quoting from someone on macrumors forums)

quote:

1) Im assuming you have a jailbroken ipod touch, so download BSD Subsystem and then OpenSSH.
2) Login to your ipod with Windscp or the mac one with your ip address as host name, root as username, and alpine as password.
3) Go into /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and rename N45AP.plist to some like N45AP.old.
4) Then change M68AP.plist into N45AP.plist and reboot iPod Touch.

But it's not all the iPhone apps, it has the maps/weather etc. then the phone and text apps and tries to connect to a phone network (but doesn't bother you about it), no camera app. All in all a bizzare mix of the iPhone and iPod firmwares.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tuna posted:

I used this method. I've heard a few issues can arise if you've got certain things installed. I personally restored 1.1.1 fresh for 1.1.3 jailbreak because I wanted to replace customize and springboard with the wobble thing, which works a lot better (I didn't really use themes). Even after the restore it kept all my notes, music, photos etc.

Sorry if you feel I am being dense, but if I do the "restore 1.1.1" in itunes via shift clicking restore and using the 1.1.1 file from Apple, do I have to jailbreak 1.1.1 again to allow the 1.1.3 iBricker edition to work?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

gargamale posted:

Sorry if you feel I am being dense, but if I do the "restore 1.1.1" in itunes via shift clicking restore and using the 1.1.1 file from Apple, do I have to jailbreak 1.1.1 again to allow the 1.1.3 iBricker edition to work?

Yeah it needs to be jailbroken. I don't know how you did it last time, but these days it's as simple as visiting jailbreakme.com in the ipod safari browser, clicking the button at the bottom of the page and watching it do all the work (in 30 seconds).

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tuna posted:

Yeah it needs to be jailbroken. I don't know how you did it last time, but these days it's as simple as visiting jailbreakme.com in the ipod safari browser, clicking the button at the bottom of the page and watching it do all the work (in 30 seconds).

Thanks for your help. I previously used the 72 step method when the jailbreak first came out, hence my apprehension. But if it's that simple now, I'm going to take the plunge.

EDIT: When running ibrickr after downgrading to 1.1.1 and going to jailbreakme.com (I also installed Community Sources/BSD/OpenSSH) ibricker reports "Sorry, you must be jailbroken and have Installer.app installed. I've done both. Any thoughts?

EDIT2: Anyone having this issue should reboot their iPod.

EDIT3: Jailbreak complete. I also changed my N4ADP.plist to the iPhone's and now I have wiggle/apps/webclips. Thanks for your help, tuna.

gargamale fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 25, 2008

Z
Jun 25, 2002

I haven't played with the Touch much, is the music/video interface the same as the iPhone? Because the iPhone is just...terrible :(

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Z posted:

I haven't played with the Touch much, is the music/video interface the same as the iPhone? Because the iPhone is just...terrible :(

It is identical. What don't you like about it? My biggest problem is with the scrubber bar, it's practically impossible to use precisely. Also, I wish skipping forward would let me skip the intros to videos. After the first ten seconds of a video it just starts skipping far too quickly.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
this will proably sound dumb, but if i can ssh, can i make my touch a webserver?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

stoops posted:

this will proably sound dumb, but if i can ssh, can i make my touch a webserver?
Somewhere in Installer is an Apache webserver, so you don't even need SSH (though it'd be best to have anyway).

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Ok I'm a bit confused by the latest Jailbreak and the $20 apps.

I have a jailbroken 1.1.1 8 Gig touch.

I really want to be able to put lyrics on my music like the purchased apps allow you to do. So I'm curious if I buy the apps will that upgrade me to 1.1.3 anyways?

Basically is there anyway to buy the apps and still keep my phone jailbroken to access installer.app programs.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS

Disappointing Pie posted:

Ok I'm a bit confused by the latest Jailbreak and the $20 apps.

I have a jailbroken 1.1.1 8 Gig touch.

I really want to be able to put lyrics on my music like the purchased apps allow you to do. So I'm curious if I buy the apps will that upgrade me to 1.1.3 anyways?

Basically is there anyway to buy the apps and still keep my phone jailbroken to access installer.app programs.

You can jailbreak to 1.1.2 and get the apps. You just can't get clippings, shaking icons, wi-fi spot trigulation for google maps, and IMAP in the mail app.

If you want that wait for the 1.1.3 jailbreak for the touch.

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

Justin posted:

You can jailbreak to 1.1.2 and get the apps. You just can't get clippings, shaking icons, wi-fi spot trigulation for google maps, and IMAP in the mail app.

If you want that wait for the 1.1.3 jailbreak for the touch.

1) 1.1.3 is jailbroken, see the top of this page
2) IMAP is in the mail app on a jailbroken 1.1.2, I use it daily

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I'm having a really hard time trying to jailbreak my touch. Bought it last week and decided to try it today, it's on 1.1.3 firmware.

I downloaded the 1.1.1 firmware:

iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw

and did the option + restore thing. It extracted the software then immediately gave an unknown error with (1) at the end. So I thought maybe I needed to go down in steps, so downloaded 1.1.2:

iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

and did the same. Each time bricking the iPod and needed me to restore to 1.1.3. What am I doing wrong?

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

This should really be put in the OP, because everyone who is jailbreaking should know this --

You will NOT be able to use the legally purchased apps from Apple if you jailbreak from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3. You must update and jailbreak to 1.1.3 starting from 1.1.2. If you don't, syncing of Applications through iTunes will be broken. This VERY likely means that once the SDK is out and applications are available, you will not be able to sync or legally download any applications through iTunes. So if you have 1.1.1, update and jailbreak to 1.1.2 first.

blambert posted:

I'm having a really hard time trying to jailbreak my touch. Bought it last week and decided to try it today, it's on 1.1.3 firmware.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/worlds-easiest-113-to-111-downgrade/

SuperCaptainJ fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 26, 2008

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
Worked first time, there's some really talented people out there to have put this all together in such a simple package.

Is that thing about not bothering with 1.12 jailbreak while using iTunes 7.6 true?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

SuperCaptainJ posted:

You will NOT be able to use the legally purchased apps from Apple if you jailbreak from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3. You must update and jailbreak to 1.1.3 starting from 1.1.2. If you don't, syncing of Applications through iTunes will be broken. This VERY likely means that once the SDK is out and applications are available, you will not be able to sync or legally download any applications through iTunes. So if you have 1.1.1, update and jailbreak to 1.1.2 first.

Do you have a source for this? I don't doubt it, but I haven't seen this reported anywhere else.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I tried out the new Maps application. The router I currently use was found in my fiancee's apartment when she moved in. I don't thing we ever actually used it there. But we use it now at our new place and when I do the "find location" option, it takes me to the old address. So some company knows where we've lived.

Edit: Looks like many applications won't even install on the 1.1.3. MobileScrobbler, I miss you.

Edit to the previous Edit: Has anyone had problem using the Maps app to find directions, even before upgrading? I've been unable to load addressing from my address book or find directions to anywhere. It gives me an error.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 27, 2008

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

GigaPeon posted:

Edit: Looks like many applications won't even install on the 1.1.3. MobileScrobbler, I miss you.

Add http://dev.c99.org/iphone-beta/ to your sources list in Installer and you'll be able to download a new and much improved beta version for 1.1.3.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Stutes posted:

Add http://dev.c99.org/iphone-beta/ to your sources list in Installer and you'll be able to download a new and much improved beta version for 1.1.3.

Nice! I like how they changed the layout so I won't accidentally click links while bring up the voting display.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

SuperCaptainJ posted:

This should really be put in the OP, because everyone who is jailbreaking should know this --

:words:

Done

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Just an FYI to baseball fans out there. Safari can run the various MLB teams ticket ordering websites. I bought some Red Sox tickets even if it takes a bit longer to type longer.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I had a scan through recent posts in the thread, and the only 1.1.3 jailbreak posted is for the iPhone, and the FAQ specifically says not to use it with the Touch.

Have any Touch-friendly 1.1.3 jailbreaks been released? If so, one that isn't installed entirely (or at all) over Wifi would be fantastic. If it's a messy job to do, I might just wait until the SDK is out, and hope that my few favourite apps get ported over to the SDK and I'll just upgrade normally then.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

You know what, there NEEDS to be a version of Linerider for the Touch.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007

Fallon posted:

You know what, there NEEDS to be a version of Linerider for the Touch.

And more iPhysics Crayon levels, its so goddamn fun.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

Vyze posted:

I had a scan through recent posts in the thread, and the only 1.1.3 jailbreak posted is for the iPhone, and the FAQ specifically says not to use it with the Touch.

Have any Touch-friendly 1.1.3 jailbreaks been released? If so, one that isn't installed entirely (or at all) over Wifi would be fantastic. If it's a messy job to do, I might just wait until the SDK is out, and hope that my few favourite apps get ported over to the SDK and I'll just upgrade normally then.

That's why i'm holding out until there is a stable 1.1.3 jailbreak.

There are too many issues to deal with right now. I'm not updating itunes even. :tinfoil:

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Justin posted:

That's why i'm holding out until there is a stable 1.1.3 jailbreak.

There are too many issues to deal with right now. I'm not updating itunes even. :tinfoil:

There is a stable 1.1.3 jailbreak on Installer right now.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My touch is now jailbroken on 1.1.3 with all the new apps in the $20 pack

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Really? Now would this installer remove my music and videos like the 1.1.2 jailbreak?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

It's a soft upgrade so I can't see why since your stuff is on a different partition. But I have not tried it :)

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
That would be so awesome. I'm still using 1.1.1 because I don't want to reinstall and setup everything again.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

Ok I upgraded via the installer and it worked like a charm. The only problem is that most of my apps are gone (probally because they aren't compatible with 1.1.3 I guess)

At least I still have my music.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Justin posted:

Ok I upgraded via the installer and it worked like a charm. The only problem is that most of my apps are gone (probally because they aren't compatible with 1.1.3 I guess)

At least I still have my music.

Like Fallon said, the apps are installed on a different partition, which is what you just restored. Most the user data and content is on a different partition that isn't touched, so a lot of the apps (they all work on 1.1.3) will retain their settings when you install them again. For instance VNsea remembered my servers, the ebooks app kept all the books i'd added, weDict kept all the dictionaries I'd downloaded and notes had kept all my notes.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

tuna posted:

Like Fallon said, the apps are installed on a different partition, which is what you just restored. Most the user data and content is on a different partition that isn't touched, so a lot of the apps (they all work on 1.1.3) will retain their settings when you install them again. For instance VNsea remembered my servers, the ebooks app kept all the books i'd added, weDict kept all the dictionaries I'd downloaded and notes had kept all my notes.

I see that. It shows that some of my programs are still in the installer. Would I be able to change the partition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SuperCaptainJ posted:

That the "1.1.3 Jailbreak DevTeam" one? Do I have to go jailbroken 1.1.2 first with the touch, too?

• Locked thread