Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That's loving beautiful. I've pretty much hated every les paul finish I've seen, but I would kill for that guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accident sorry :(
Dec 11, 2002
I'm stupid*
Keyless, blackwood & silver, (Nicholson pattern) irish flute w/fully lined headjoint by Patrick Olwell:

Hurry up with that tax refund, Washington! :arghfist:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I can't get the good pics off the digital camera yet, so here are a couple of crappy cell phone shots of my new Carvin DC727!

LostCause
Jun 27, 2003

by Peatpot
I've had this Les Paul Studio for about 5 years now and it was recently in terrible shape so I decided to get it overhauled completely.

All new wiring, full setup, and EMGZZZZZ. 81/85 combo. Its amazing now.

:D

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Uh-oh, boredom at work + eBay is killing my bank account:

~2005 American Standard Jazz Bass, $590 and no shipping because the seller lives about ten miles away. I've been trying to trade my Stingray HH on craigslist, but the only offers I got were for things I didn't want or ask for. Now I guess I'll just try to sell it.

I've only played the new bass for a little bit, its a bit lighter than the Stingray and my MIM Jazz and Precision. It needs new strings and the action raised a bit, but other than that its in great shape. The S-1 switching isn't doing much for me, it just gives you a j-bass tone with a boosted low end and overall muddier sound, not really like a p-bass tone at all. Everything sounds fine in the normal mode which is what really matters to me anyway.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

LostCause posted:

Hooray for EMG! I just had an 81 put in my old Ibanez and it sounds better than it ever has. I've also got one of these:

on the way to beef up each side of my distortion. I'm planning on getting one of the Damage Control Solid Metal pedals, as well. I have Agreed to thank for opening my eyes to those.

Syrus
Nov 9, 2005
Peter Pan
Getting a new taylor 210 acoustic electric on sunday. Can't wait!

Pics soon

Syrus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 26, 2008

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Waffleshack isn't working right now so....
  • I just impulse bought a Hipshot DGB Bender for my Tele on eBay for a great price.

• And I'm trying to buy an Ampeg V4 head from an old schoolmate to replace my VT22 for the time being.

• And I ordered a new pickguard for my Reverse V. Should be here in a month, then I can put four Jazzmaster slider knobs up in there wired in a standard Les Paul configuration. I've got the four roller knobs but still need the 4 mini-pots and two mounting brackets. I think I'll go through the same guy who sold me the NOS 1950's Esquire capacitors for some old-fashioned Gibson Spragues. Then I'm cooking with fire.

Next I need a better soldering gun so I can order an OLC pedal that emulates the sound of the Eagles of Death Metal.

Also, I'm selling a Danelectro Back Talk Reverse Delay on eBay if anybody wants to jump on.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 26, 2008

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I got a Fender Jaguar Bass last week. Got it hooked up through a 10-band Ross EQ into my Markbass Mini CMD12P. Replaced the nylon strap with black leather strap with a white lightning bolt. God it's hot.

COMPLETELY AWESOME.

Doomy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 26, 2008

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Behind this sex toy is my jawesome new Avatar cab :coal:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Raze posted:

Hooray for EMG! I just had an 81 put in my old Ibanez and it sounds better than it ever has. I've also got one of these:

on the way to beef up each side of my distortion. I'm planning on getting one of the Damage Control Solid Metal pedals, as well. I have Agreed to thank for opening my eyes to those.

Glad to have helped. The coolest thing about them is how well they work regardless of which amp you're using. The voicing of the amp determines their sonic character, rather than having an overpowering sound of their own... and yet they don't sacrifice single-amp flexibility due to their powerful tone-shaping options.

The guys at DC really know what they're doing.

THD Univalve is in the mail, can't wait!

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms
it's on backorder so its gonna take about a month but i just ordered this + ernie ball rock 'n roll strings for the 60's sound or some poo poo, thought they might fit the guitar well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

FreakingNeo posted:

it's on backorder so its gonna take about a month but i just ordered this + ernie ball rock 'n roll strings for the 60's sound or some poo poo, thought they might fit the guitar well

Those strings kick rear end. I buy strings online and when those ones came in I knew I'd found what I'd be using for a while.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
just got this baby here

and will be getting this in a month or two

:3:

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

FreakingNeo posted:

what up just-bought-a-dano buddy :hfive:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

PenguinBob posted:

Has yours arrived yet? I'm real close to getting a Dano Pro myself and I have some questions about the model for you when it comes.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Laws posted:

Has yours arrived yet? I'm real close to getting a Dano Pro myself and I have some questions about the model for you when it comes.

no :(

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms

Handen posted:

Those strings kick rear end. I buy strings online and when those ones came in I knew I'd found what I'd be using for a while.

good to hear, but what exactly is different about them compared to normal strings?

PenguinBob posted:

haha, please tell me what yours is like when you get it, my choice was either gonna be a dano pro or the dc 59 but i went for the latter
mine is probably going to take more than a month to get here :(

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

FreakingNeo posted:

good to hear, but what exactly is different about them compared to normal strings?

They're pure nickel, instead of nickel plated or stainless steel. It just sounds a little closer to that classic rock stuff, I don't know how to explain it but when I played them for the first time it felt like I'd just arrived home after a long vacation.

Draesk
Sep 12, 2007

Yey, I just got the 3 Hercules wall-mounts for my basses put up. It looks awesome having them hung up.

(click for big)

The one closest to the camera is my mum's; she's currently re-staining the fingerboard and varnishing the back of the neck and head.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Be careful with those hangers. If you put the bass too far back in there, the plastic corners will eat away at the finish around the headstock. It got a couple of my basses before I noticed it.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Von posted:

Yey, I just got the 3 Hercules wall-mounts for my basses put up. It looks awesome having them hung up.

(click for big)

The one closest to the camera is my mum's; she's currently re-staining the fingerboard and varnishing the back of the neck and head.

Sounds like you've got a pretty cool mom!

Bumping because I finally got around to buying patch cables for my pedal setup. Next comes a 1Spot and the daisy chain!

Soon I will have a homebrew pedal board to rival even the likes of 3toes :frogc00l:

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

Got a Roland VS-1680, and the CDRII burner that comes along with it. All this in perfect working condition for $300, and not stolen.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Von posted:

(click for big)

That fretless is hot.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden

Just recently got the Line6 X3 Live. I love it since it's the first effects processor I've ever used and I've been messing around with the dual tones as well. The pedal is fun to play around with.

The guitar is a Fender Big Apple Strat. The color came out all weird but it's Shoreline gold.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
IT CAME IT CAME IT CAME :neckbeard:

I didn't notice it before but all the hardware has this really cool matte stainless finish. it's incredibly light, as well.

[edit] and I haven't taken the strap off my bass, but the buttons appear to be compatible with Schaller strap locks.

[edit 2] upon further investigation it seems that the toggle will not stay in the bridge pickup position :( I'll need to take a look at that.

PenguinBob fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 29, 2008

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

HumanSpeedBump posted:

Here.

It's slightly dulled, because I only noticed I had the reverb on full power through the entire thing at the end, when I was supposed to turn it up.

You have no idea of the costs involved in the recording of this short clip.

Those were actually some really neat sounds. What do you mean the costs -- the expense of the hardware? I could imagine that those sounds could yield some really cool samples.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Holy poo poo, the guys at Avatarspeakers.com ship things FAST. They must have overnighted it to me, because my THD is here.

Or, rather, a sticker on my door saying I had to have been there to sign for my THD to be here is here. An hour of headache-generating phone goose chases later, they'll be coming by to deliver again it around 4. Sweet.

I'll borrow my wife's digital camera and snap some photos of my gear, long overdue.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Agreed posted:

Holy poo poo, the guys at Avatarspeakers.com ship things FAST. They must have overnighted it to me, because my THD is here.

Or, rather, a sticker on my door saying I had to have been there to sign for my THD to be here is here. An hour of headache-generating phone goose chases later, they'll be coming by to deliver again it around 4. Sweet.

I'll borrow my wife's digital camera and snap some photos of my gear, long overdue.

Which THD? Hotplate or one of the amps?

I was GASing hard for a Univalve a while ago but decided to go with a 2-channel amp instead.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

squidgee posted:

Those were actually some really neat sounds. What do you mean the costs -- the expense of the hardware? I could imagine that those sounds could yield some really cool samples.

Thank you.

Costs on sanity and my supply of "art enhancers".

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

Hey I know it hasn't been all that long since I last saw you write "my fiancee", so congratulations.

I'm very intruiged by the Univalve and by low-wattage amps in general lately, since serious power amp distortion at useable volumes seems like a holy grail to me. I'm quite excited to hear what you have to say about it. If you speak in nearly as much detail about it as you have about other gear in the past, I'm probably gonna piss my pants. Can't wait!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Which THD? Hotplate or one of the amps?

I was GASing hard for a Univalve a while ago but decided to go with a 2-channel amp instead.

The Univalve. Got the last one from the blowout at Avatarsspeakers.com. Those guys are great, they discounted it another $40 or so and overnighted it as a wedding present because I mentioned that I was getting married in an hour. That's right, I ... slightly and, I hope, transparently held up my wedding to get the order in. Took me all day to get the funds together, and my wife put up $250 in lue of me having to go pawn my unused gear at a loss to nab it. She basically bought the stuff I'm selling right now, so that I could use the money on that deal rather than have to save up another $300 later for the same thing. What a gal! I'll be giving her the profits from the sale of my excess gear entirely, which ought to let her get something nice for herself, as a thank-you for sealing the deal on the amp.

Depending on what you're trying to do, choosing a footswitchable two-channel amp probably wasn't a bad move. The Univalve is an amazing amp, but if you need the versatility of channel A and channel B then the two inputs on the Univalve wouldn't cut it... even though they seem, to my mind, to constitute individual channels in their own right since one uses one tube and the other uses both, resulting in a clean input and a dirty input, but which can't be footswitch'ed or even changed with an A/B box... I don't know, I can't criticize the designer because as great as everything sounds I'm sure there's a real balance of features versus tone going on and I wouldn't want to sacrifice the sound.

I will take full advantage of its many capabilities when recording, but most of my play will be adjusting my Solid Metal and Liquid Blues to be its high gain and low gain channels, and configuring it for a just-at-the-edge-of-breakup clean sound, when the harmonics get going and a bit of compression and very slight clipping starts to bubble up around your stronger notes and chords. Not exactly the same thing as a 3-channel amp, but it'll do what I want it to.

I love the amp's everything. Great sound all-around. Like I said, I'll be using it to full effect, but a big part of why I bought it is because the "Roll" input (which uses one of its two 12AX7s) is pretty much the best clean-side-of-overdrive sound I've ever heard, recorded or in person, and because it makes my pedals sound better than any amp before, inclusive.

Col.Kiwi posted:

Hey I know it hasn't been all that long since I last saw you write "my fiancee", so congratulations.

I'm very intruiged by the Univalve and by low-wattage amps in general lately, since serious power amp distortion at useable volumes seems like a holy grail to me. I'm quite excited to hear what you have to say about it. If you speak in nearly as much detail about it as you have about other gear in the past, I'm probably gonna piss my pants. Can't wait!

Thank you, it was Friday! We honeymooned at a cabin by a river here in Arkansas, beautiful this time of year... It was great, we had a blast.

I'll give a full report on the Univalve soon, though I've already used it for some time before ordering it. My dad's bandmate, the guitarist, has one and was letting me mess with it since he was going to be leaving it at their practice space anyway. A week later, I knew I had to have one. Excellent is a good start but doesn't tell the whole story, and even Awesome is leaving some important facts out.

More on the Univalve tomorrow when I have time. I'll try to include some clips so that it's not just hot air (so to speak...)

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

I'm thinking about buying some GFS retrotrons. "Memphis" for the neck and "Nashville" for the bridge. Anyone have any experience with these, or GFS in general? I was looking through their stuff after someone linked them around here, and also noticed they seem to have pretty good reviews.

I'm also kind of worried that mixing the two different types might do... undesirable things to the center channel on the pickup switch. Especially since they're different magnet types, I think.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Neck arrived for my tele today!

Quick mockup of the neck, body, and pickguard:

It's not resting on the glass, I put cloth underneath.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Carbohydrates posted:

Neck arrived for my tele today!

drat. That's sweet. What pickups are you looking into? I suggest the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups for Tele, they are god-damned amazing.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Handen posted:

drat. That's sweet. What pickups are you looking into? I suggest the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups for Tele, they are god-damned amazing.
Already got some, actually. A pair of Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. Always wanted to try them out.

gvonpaul
Jan 21, 2005
Goober
Can't go wrong with Fralin.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

ZombiePeanut posted:

I'm thinking about buying some GFS retrotrons. "Memphis" for the neck and "Nashville" for the bridge. Anyone have any experience with these, or GFS in general? I was looking through their stuff after someone linked them around here, and also noticed they seem to have pretty good reviews.

I installed a Nashville Hot in the bridge of one of my guitars and I loving love it. The guy who built the guitar for me originally installed a GFS Z-coil humbucker in it and that pickup was loving horrible (and was also the first GFS I ever used), but I installed the Nashville Hot in it and it totally revived my trust in GFS pickups. It's an amazing tone, and just what I wanted.

quote:

I'm also kind of worried that mixing the two different types might do... undesirable things to the center channel on the pickup switch. Especially since they're different magnet types, I think.

It wouldn't do anything undesirable other than sound a little all-over-the-place. I'd say give it a shot. If you don't like it, Guitarfetish has a pretty lenient return policy (any items can be returned within 10 days of receipt for a full refund, within 60 days for an exchange for any other item they stock), just make sure that you don't trim the leads of the pickup(s) you aren't sure you want during the first install. I don't know how Guitarfetish handles it, but most dealers I've encountered won't accept returns of pickups with trimmed leads.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I just pieced my project guitar back together, but now I'm thinking some red spraypaint on the pickup covers and headstock is in order. The book idea was blatantly stolen from Spiral, so I can't take credit for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

That is very sharp. How much is that going to run in the end?