Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

maplecheese posted:

Since when do dogs wag their tails because of stress? :confused:

Always, actually. Most people think a wagging tail is a sign of happiness, when it's actually a sign of conflicting emotions. Your dog that wags his tail upon seeing you is probably excited or happy, but also a bit fearful. Not necessarily in a terrified "oh poo poo" sense, but in that of a dog lower in the pack order with some trepidation at approaching the alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

maplecheese posted:

Just make sure he doesn't get hurt by cornering too sharply and too suddenly, or run into walls or anything.

Don't do it on the hardwood floors either, heh. My dad's golden retriever goes nuts over it. He doesn't seem stressed by it. He acts the same as when you have a ball. Eventualy he gets tired and lays down.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Mother Rucker posted:

Always, actually. Most people think a wagging tail is a sign of happiness, when it's actually a sign of conflicting emotions. Your dog that wags his tail upon seeing you is probably excited or happy, but also a bit fearful. Not necessarily in a terrified "oh poo poo" sense, but in that of a dog lower in the pack order with some trepidation at approaching the alpha.

Ok, did some googling here... while the idea that dogs are ALWAYS afraid when they wag seems to still be out of the mainstream, (the "more energy than they know what to do with" and "not-attacking-you signal" also appear to have a number of adherents) the scared "oh god don't hurt me" wag was also mentioned, which I for some reason didn't think of when I saw the word "wag". That's the one where the dog keeps his tail really low to the ground and only wags the tip. If THAT's what your dog's doing in response to the flashlight, then no, he probably doesn't like it. But the best way to tell would be to compare his behaviour around the flashlight to his behaviour when he's excited about something you KNOW he likes, like some other toy or game, treats, or going for a walk. If his posture, expression, and wagging are the same, then he probably likes it.

dispute
Oct 29, 2004

Oh boy oh boy now that I am a DJ I will get all the ladies for sure!
My gf & I just got a 6 week old kitten and all she does all day is follow my dog around trying to suck on his penis.

I've caught them many of times. At first I think my dog was liking it but now she bugs him all the time. Now he can't even lie down without her coming up to him trying to suck him off.

Can you guys recommend anything. Chilli on my dogs penis? It's getting out of hand.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

dispute posted:

Chilli on my dogs penis?

No, that would be a truly terrible idea. To understand why, put chili on YOUR dick and see what you think of the experience.

Bitter Apple or other sprays designed to keep animals from chewing or licking spots on their own bodies might help.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

dispute posted:

My gf & I just got a 6 week old kitten and all she does all day is follow my dog around trying to suck on his penis.

I've caught them many of times. At first I think my dog was liking it but now she bugs him all the time. Now he can't even lie down without her coming up to him trying to suck him off.

Can you guys recommend anything. Chilli on my dogs penis? It's getting out of hand.

this might actually be the worst post I've ever seen in Pet Island

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

dispute posted:

I disagree, this is the BEST post ever.

Hilarity aside, it sounds like the kitten was a bit too young to be separated from its mom. We got one when he 7 weeks old, and he lays down next to our dog's belly and sucks the tip of his own tail until it is soggy and gross. No amount of yuck spray has stopped him, and he is now 1.5 years old and still does it, though not as often.

Esotericas
Jul 2, 2007
...etcetera...

dispute posted:

Sounds like a nursing response. Maybe try to encourage her to suck on her very own blanket (via catnip & any other methods to make the blanket appealing).

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Mr Plow posted:

My dog chases flashlights. I searched the internet for some information about this but didn't find anything very reputable, just one post somewhere saying that this could give my dog OCD, and a whole bunch of youtube videos of dogs chasing flashlights. Is there a PI concencus on whether it's okay for a dog to chase flashlights? It's not entirely obvious whether my dog enjoys it or is frustrated by it. He gets very excited at the sight of any flashlight and wags his tail a lot and barks for me to turn it on, but I don't really know whether that's from happiness or stress.

I don't think we have a consensus on this one, but I can tell you that my personal experience recommends against it. I had a Weimaraner that loved to chase laser pointers and flashlights, we thought it was hilarious and great... until it turned into an obsession with reflections of any kind. Granted, Weims are neurotic to start with, but it now really stresses her out. Even stupid things like the reflections from glasses getting put into the dishwasher gets her all crazed. She one destroyed an entire patch of carpet because one of those crystal sun-catchers was reflecting there. I'd use caution, especially if you have a breed prone to neuroses like Weims or Border Collies.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

maplecheese posted:

Ok, did some googling here... while the idea that dogs are ALWAYS afraid when they wag seems to still be out of the mainstream, (the "more energy than they know what to do with" and "not-attacking-you signal" also appear to have a number of adherents) the scared "oh god don't hurt me" wag was also mentioned, which I for some reason didn't think of when I saw the word "wag". That's the one where the dog keeps his tail really low to the ground and only wags the tip. If THAT's what your dog's doing in response to the flashlight, then no, he probably doesn't like it. But the best way to tell would be to compare his behaviour around the flashlight to his behaviour when he's excited about something you KNOW he likes, like some other toy or game, treats, or going for a walk. If his posture, expression, and wagging are the same, then he probably likes it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion. Dog is happy but also apprehensive? Tail wags. Ready to pee himself with excitement (overloading his doggie brain, which is stress, but a better kind)? Tail wags. Doesn't know whether to poo poo or wind his wristwatch (can't decide if he should bite you or run and hide under the house)? Tail wags. A dog who is hell-bent on going after you won't wag, nor will a dog who is terrified - the tail will be straight up/straight out or tucked underneath. Most people just equate tail-wagging with happiness, which isn't correct at all.

MkalDahl
Jul 2, 2004
Dark Priestess of Cthulhu

maplecheese posted:

How long have you had Corinne? Do she and Cleo seem to be making progress at all, or are they getting along just as poorly as ever? Sometimes these things just take time.

They seem very curious sometimes. They will stare at each other for long periods of time and not moving. I caught the kitten one time sneaking up on and trying to sniff Cleo from behind and one time the kitten was sleeping and Cleo snuck up to sniff her. When the kitten woke and moved slightly Cleo leaped up hissing and spitting all over me and the kitten and ran away. If they get too close they usually start hissing at each other with Cleo growling. I have had Corinne for around 3 weeks.

I want them to get along at the least and at the best be friends and become cuddly with each other like those cats in the sleeping pets thread.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I'm pretty sure I saw a post about this somewhere on PI once but I couldn't find it and no archives/search so I have to ask, whats the preferred method of cleaning a dogs ears?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

CommunistMojo posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw a post about this somewhere on PI once but I couldn't find it and no archives/search so I have to ask, whats the preferred method of cleaning a dogs ears?

I use an ear-cleaning solution that I get at the vet's office. Squirt some solution in & rub the ear together. Then let the dog shake it out & dry with a soft cloth.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
How much "eye gunk" is normal for a cat, and what color should it be to be 'normal'?

My cat is white and his skin is pink so it's pretty easy to see when it goes outside of his eye and is sticking to his fur. That's when I clean it off, and I'm cleaning it off of both of his eyes, by his nose once a day (using a qtip gently swabbed away from the eye, not into it, and warm water).

I've had him just over a month now and it's my first cat and he's had this eye gunk buildup daily since I got him. Normal for him, but does that sound normal overall?

He's about 10 years old and he might be allergic to something in my apartment because he sneezes a couple times after waking up and throughout the day a couple sneeze bursts as well. In case that might factor in.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

mr. nazi posted:

How much "eye gunk" is normal for a cat, and what color should it be to be 'normal'?

We had a kitten whose eyes were very weepy and had a lot of mucus, and the vet said it would probably never get better. Didn't seem to bother her. I'd have him looked at in case it's an infection of some kind, and maybe try and figure out if there's something in the house that's irritating his mucus membranes. If you eliminate all the serious causes, and he's not in any discomfort, you may just have a goopy cat.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I need to do a full apartment vacuuming, I know places like under the couch and behind desks are pretty dusty. I'll take him to the vet just to be sure, if after I clean the place real well the goopy eyes continue.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Does your vacuum have a HEPA filter? Those help. A lot.

We went to a friend's house last night, and they have three Italian Greyhounds. I'm not a fan of small dogs, but I also don't dislike them. Their male is about 8 or 9 years old and is much too large for the breed standard (~20 lbs), and their two females are 4 and 3 (I think) and are both too small for the breed standard. So you have an almost whippet-sized male and two tiny pocket females. The male has adrenal problems, so he's largely bald, which made his texture very interesting.

The reason I usually dislike small dogs is that they don't act like dogs, but these little guys were very well-trained and obviously well cared-for. They were very bouncy and playful when you wanted to play, and extremely friendly, but knew when to sit down and be calm and just snuggle. One of the females was a licker, which isn't something that bothers me, but she was so enthusiastic about it!

I really like full-sized greyhounds, and have wanted a retired racer for a long time. However, my boyfriend is more of a cat person, and likes somewhat smaller dogs. The IGs were somewhat catlike, too, and I could see he was kind of falling in love. The standard-sized ones are just so small, though! The big male was about the right size for me. I guess my question is, are whippets enough like IGs in terms of temperament that they would make a good compromise?

It was great watching the little Italians running around and playing. They go into a full double-suspension gallop with only a few feet of acceleration, and they seem to be on springs - the youngest and smallest female would race full-speed up to you and bounce off you with all four feet.

I'm not ready to get a dog right now at all, but I'm trying to compile a nice list of pros and cons. My two favorites are definitely sighthounds and schnauzers, though I understand they are very different in terms of needs and temperament. I know we have a one-eyed wonder whippet on the forum. Any whippet/IG people feel like weighing in?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

Does your vacuum have a HEPA filter? Those help. A lot.

We went to a friend's house last night, and they have three Italian Greyhounds. I'm not a fan of small dogs, but I also don't dislike them. Their male is about 8 or 9 years old and is much too large for the breed standard (~20 lbs), and their two females are 4 and 3 (I think) and are both too small for the breed standard. So you have an almost whippet-sized male and two tiny pocket females. The male has adrenal problems, so he's largely bald, which made his texture very interesting.

The reason I usually dislike small dogs is that they don't act like dogs, but these little guys were very well-trained and obviously well cared-for. They were very bouncy and playful when you wanted to play, and extremely friendly, but knew when to sit down and be calm and just snuggle. One of the females was a licker, which isn't something that bothers me, but she was so enthusiastic about it!

I really like full-sized greyhounds, and have wanted a retired racer for a long time. However, my boyfriend is more of a cat person, and likes somewhat smaller dogs. The IGs were somewhat catlike, too, and I could see he was kind of falling in love. The standard-sized ones are just so small, though! The big male was about the right size for me. I guess my question is, are whippets enough like IGs in terms of temperament that they would make a good compromise?

It was great watching the little Italians running around and playing. They go into a full double-suspension gallop with only a few feet of acceleration, and they seem to be on springs - the youngest and smallest female would race full-speed up to you and bounce off you with all four feet.

I'm not ready to get a dog right now at all, but I'm trying to compile a nice list of pros and cons. My two favorites are definitely sighthounds and schnauzers, though I understand they are very different in terms of needs and temperament. I know we have a one-eyed wonder whippet on the forum. Any whippet/IG people feel like weighing in?

Iggies are notorious for being hard to impossible to housetrain. That's a pretty big con, in my opinion. It was enough to turn me off of the breed when I was considering them, since I was an apartment dweller at the time. I definitely have a soft spot for sighthounds though, and once I get the go-ahead to get another dog, it'll probably be a needlenose of some sort. :)

edit: VV Here's a little something from the national breed club - http://www.italiangreyhound.org/pages/202good_bad.html

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 27, 2008

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

MoCookies posted:

Iggies are notorious for being hard to impossible to housetrain. That's a pretty big con, in my opinion. It was enough to turn me off of the breed when I was considering them, since I was an apartment dweller at the time. I definitely have a soft spot for sighthounds though, and once I get the go-ahead to get another dog, it'll probably be a needlenose of some sort. :)

They said their girls were hard to housetrain because they're so small, and that all of them were normal puppies in terms of having accidents from time to time. The way I understand it they have had very few problems since growing past pupphyood. I guess it would depend on the individual dog, and I would think a larger individual (like the oversize IG, or a whippet) would have fewer problems with that.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
There's the tiniest bit of blood in my dog's poop - I don't know if this is something to be concerned over or should I take her to a vet ASAP?

LonerAvocado
Jan 9, 2006

No one will make Guacamole with me...
My girlfriend and I want to get the type of puppy shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7LbSMA-AA&feature=related

Can anyone help identify what breed of dog that is?

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma

LonerAvocado posted:

Puppies only actually look like that for a few weeks. Then they turn into dogs that live for upwards of 15 years.

It is generally not a good idea to make life altering decisions based on impulse. Rather than going for a breed of dog that looks cute as a puppy (tip; most breeds look cute as puppies!), you should research breeds that actually fit the lifestyle you intend to lead over the next decade and a half, in terms of activity levels, personality, grooming requirements and so on. What the breed actually looks like should be low on your list of priorities. What the breed looks like as a puppy shouldn't even come into it. If you want a cute fluffy thing that stays small forever, may I suggest a teddy bear.

I refer you to this thread

LevitateMe
Mar 8, 2005
Close to the meat
We have 2 guinea pigs, both with medium length hair. Obviously, we have to brush them regularly, but also sometimes give them a bit of a trim. One of them (Nelson) LOVES having a bath, which doesn't seem very natural to me, but he also loves being dried using a mild setting on the hair dryer, so no problems there. His brother (Gonzo) however, not only hates being picked up, but hates being brushed and pretty much any human contact except being handed fresh food. They've been to the vets for check ups (I was worried perhaps Gonzo was being hurt when we picked him up), both are perfectly healthy & have been handled since day one. Gonzo is just a jerk, and Nelson is the friendly one.

They're nearly 2 years old, but perhaps someone who's had guinea pigs for longer can tell me, what can I do to try and make grooming time less stressful for Gonzo? I try to always keep them in view of each other as they hate being separated, but I find it quite distressing to watch the poor little guy squirm and squeak. Any ideas?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

LonerAvocado posted:

notsoape posted:

Puppies only actually look like that for a few weeks. Then they turn into dogs that live for upwards of 15 years.

It is generally not a good idea to make life altering decisions based on impulse. Rather than going for a breed of dog that looks cute as a puppy (tip; most breeds look cute as puppies!), you should research breeds that actually fit the lifestyle you intend to lead over the next decade and a half, in terms of activity levels, personality, grooming requirements and so on. What the breed actually looks like should be low on your list of priorities. What the breed looks like as a puppy shouldn't even come into it. If you want a cute fluffy thing that stays small forever, may I suggest a teddy bear.

Notsoape is definitely on the ball here. Puppies are a pain in the rear end. They are exhausting and they poo poo all over your house. Its a good thing they're cute or we wouldn't put up with it. I was so sleep-deprived from fostering her litter of 3, that I barely remember what my dog looked like as a puppy. That's what pictures are for. :)

The dog you have to live with for 15 years is more important than how the puppy looks for roughly 2 months. The puppy in the video looks very young, actually too young to be away from its litter. At that age, many breeds look alike. Whatever you decide to get, DO NOT get it from a pet store, and thoroughly research the requirements of the breed, ESPECIALLY exercise.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
My kitten is about 4 months old now (time to schedule a neuter), and I really really want to know if he will just CALM THE gently caress DOWN.

He explores every nook and cranny, shelves, drawers, behind my TV, in the window (while I am asleep, thus rattling the blinds, and waking me up, every single night) I am really starting to get on my last nerve with him, and I just wish he would stay out of places he's not supposed to go.

He's learned to open cabinets.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

LevitateMe posted:

what can I do to try and make grooming time less stressful for Gonzo?

That's just normal. MOST guinea pigs do not enjoy being handled, so it sounds like you got quite lucky with Nelson.

Pigs particularly hate being 'dangled' in the air, and having all 4 feet on a stable surface often reduces their anxiety. To get him out of the cage, get a 4' diameter PVC joint from the hardware store. Let him run inside, then pick up the entire tube. When you're holding him, you can try using a small basket lined with a towel. Keep offering lots of treats when he's being handled, too. Maybe pick something special like dill or basil, and ONLY give it when he's being handled.

Curiously, one of my boys is also named Gonzo and he also hates being handled. When I go to give him his haircuts, I stand him on a towel on the counter. He's perfectly used to this after almost 2.5 years with me, but he just stands there screaming like a fire engine, even if I'm not touching him. He was nearly 2 years old when we rescued him, and he'd been in terrible circumstances before that, so I can hardly blame him.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Kantaris posted:

in the window (while I am asleep, thus rattling the blinds, and waking me up, every single night)
Haha my 8 year old cat still does this. Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear.

The ZOOMZOOMZOOM!!! usually goes away (or at least goes down) with age and I think with neuterings too. :)

If he's opening cabinets you should look into some child-proof cabinet locks for any that contain cleaning products.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Kantaris posted:

My kitten is about 4 months old now (time to schedule a neuter), and I really really want to know if he will just CALM THE gently caress DOWN.

Do you have any other pets he could play with? I know PI sometimes get a little bit overenthusiastic with the "GET TWO CATS" thing, but if he had a buddy to wrestle with all day, it would definitely tire him out.

Otherwise, just try to play with him as much as you can - toy wands, laser pointers, whatever'll get him dashing and pouncing and going nuts when you AREN'T trying to sleep.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

they were smoking MARIJUANA! in the CHURCH!

drat Bananas posted:

If he's opening cabinets you should look into some child-proof cabinet locks for any that contain cleaning products.

This is a great idea. My mom uses this on her cats.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

mr. nazi posted:

My cat is white and his skin is pink so it's pretty easy to see when it goes outside of his eye and is sticking to his fur. That's when I clean it off, and I'm cleaning it off of both of his eyes, by his nose once a day (using a qtip gently swabbed away from the eye, not into it, and warm water).

I've had him just over a month now and it's my first cat and he's had this eye gunk buildup daily since I got him. Normal for him, but does that sound normal overall?

He's about 10 years old and he might be allergic to something in my apartment because he sneezes a couple times after waking up and throughout the day a couple sneeze bursts as well. In case that might factor in.

Did you get him from the pound? If so, it's very likely he has an upper respiratory/eye infection, which can be cleared up with oral and ocular antibiotics. Having to clean out eye gunk every day from a cat does not seem normal to me.

LevitateMe
Mar 8, 2005
Close to the meat

alucinor posted:

Guinea pig stuff

Thanks for this, it's reassuring :) We picked up some cheap bath towels from a supermarket so it doesn't matter if he ruins them. I hadn't thought of reserving specific treats just for brushing time, that's definitely one I'll try. We got lucky with Nelson in many ways, he's just so friendly.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

Haha my 8 year old cat still does this. Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear.

The ZOOMZOOMZOOM!!! usually goes away (or at least goes down) with age and I think with neuterings too. :)

Well, my sister has her cat, but she's leaving the apartment on the 1st of Feb. I am thinking about another cat for him to play with, only because with work and school, I leave my apartment at 6:30ish, and I don't get home until 21:00ish. And I usually go directly to sleep. Friday I have no class, so I get home at about 17:00.

The cabinets don't have handles or anything, they're the roller kind, and I can't replace them because of the apartment maintenance office. They use a "standard" on everything, which makes it all "easy to replace". All the cleaning products I have are up on a high shelf in my one closet, that as far as I know, he cannot get to.

I will have to talk to my girlfriend or sister to go down to the shelter and get a buddy for him. I feel bad leaving him alone all the time (well, he will be alone all the time as of Feb 1st.)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Larva posted:

Did you get him from the pound? If so, it's very likely he has an upper respiratory/eye infection, which can be cleared up with oral and ocular antibiotics. Having to clean out eye gunk every day from a cat does not seem normal to me.

It varies from breed to breed and cat to cat. My white persian has eye gunk like you wouldn't believe, and it's normal for her and her breed. About once a week I pin her down and wash her face. In between washings she rubs her face on whatever she can find and leaves gross skidmarks :barf: . The vet says it's fine and she doesn't suffer from any infections or problems, it's just that her eyes are weepy.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I took a couple pictures, many treats were sacrificed to bring you this information (about eye gunk). This is about what it looks like once a day. Yeah he looks pretty serious all the time too.

edit: just very thoroughly vacuumed my entire apartment, under and behind everything, if it's dust that was bothering him this should help a lot (I put off vacuuming whenever possible, I hate doing it)

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 29, 2008

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Looks like normal eye boogies to me. My dark skinned kitties you don't hardly notice them, but they're there. On my little pink-skinned foster kittens the slightest sleep crud just jumped right out at you.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
What options are there for measuring chemical levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph) in an aquarium? Specifically, anything that is reusable. I'm thinking of getting back in to having a small tank but I was wondering if there was something less expensive than buying those drat strips at a buck each. What about those stick-on indicators they sometimes sell in stores? I'm assuming they're total crap, or?...

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Most people buy the little kits were you get a water sample and add x drops of y bottle and match it against a color card. I have some multi-test strips I use occasionally but mostly the little test tubes.

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma
Just as a follow up to my Saluki querying - I've done a little research and found a breeder I really like the look of :3:. Her lines began with a Saluki imported from Saudi Arabia thirty years ago, and she's recently imported another desert-bred bitch. Her stock have done well in the show ring but excelled in the field, consistently winning coursing titles up until the ban ( :argh: ). I sent her a ridiculously long email, explaining that I wasn't looking for a puppy just yet but was really interested in her lines and what she's achieved within the breed etc, and could she recommend books/somebody with Salukis I could go visit (I've never actually interacted with one up close or even spoken directly with someone who lives with one). Turns out she lives half an hour away and has invited me to come visit any time I like! :dance:.

Yay for good breeders. I did realise that I forgot to ask her about health testing, though. I've found this information so far;

Congenital and Genetic Conditions found with greater than average frequency in the Saluki (point to name for description):
Anesthetic Idiosyncrasy Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia Behavioral Abnormalities Cataract Corneal dystrophy Detached Retina Entropion Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis Persistent Pupillary Membrane Progressive Retinal Atrophy Retinal Dysplasia Thrombocytopenia von Willebrands Disease

Which of these should be a priority for saluki breeders to screen for? Canine health testing is a whole new world for me, I'm afraid.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007
Yeah, the eye gunk looks pretty normal after all. In that case, the sneezing may be allergies. It's just that buildup around the eyes combined with sneezing says upper respiratory infection to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

How much eye gunk is enough gunk to warrant concern? All 3 of my dogs have been having significant eye goobers lately, but no sneezing, coughing, or other symptoms except possibly being a little lazier than usual. For what its worth, I've had horrible allergy symptoms for a least 2 weeks now, and am just now starting to feel a little better.

to notsopae - Congrats on finding a good Saluki breeder. I love those dogs, and especially love watching them run. Are you considering getting involved in lure coursing?