Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I suppose you can add $15 to the running total for the shipping of the DX-390 that mrbill so awesomely sent to me. I'm listening to radio Cuba right now and I'm as happy as can be with it.

A public thanks to mrbill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

TimeLady posted:

ccrane.com has LED light bulbs available. They're supposed to be as energy-saving as flourescents but they don't produce radio interference. You can get them at: http://www.ccrane.com/lights/index.aspx

:waycool: So why are we still using incandescent?

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
Okay, I got into this thread months ago, and the Conet Project a year or two ago. I never got the spare cash to get the E5/G5. And when I did I had forgotten about this. I'm trying to trade my broken Xbox360 for a Yacht Boy through Craigslist or pick up a E5 on the cheap through eBay (high bidder now, probably won't last at $21, no accessories.

Hopefully I'll be building rediculous antennas soon!

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Elijah posted:

:waycool: So why are we still using incandescent?

Because LED bulbs of equivalent brightness to CFs or incandescents are horribly expensive ($100+ per bulb). :cry:

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

mrbill posted:

Because LED bulbs of equivalent brightness to CFs or incandescents are horribly expensive ($100+ per bulb). :cry:

Do they pay for themselves in the long run or not?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Elijah posted:

Do they pay for themselves in the long run or not?

In all probability they do, however over the years it would take to do that I'd rather pocket the difference and interest.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

blugu64 posted:

In all probability they do, however over the years it would take to do that I'd rather pocket the difference and interest.

The government should subsidize these instead of digital TV boxes.

To end the derail, I haven't been using my 1103 nearly as much as I'd have liked to lately, and reception in my dorm is patchy at best, but I'll give it another shot this weekend!

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
Awesome, we'll be shipping next Saturday and should have my YB400PE soon.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

A week after I bought a Yaesu FRG-100 for $400, a guy I know emails me and says "Hey I heard you were looking for a transceiver; I have a Kenwood TS-430 here you can have for cost of shipping. RX is fine, TX just needs a tweak and tuneup." :doh:

If nothing else, having the finals inspected and repaired locally will still cost less than buying a transceiver off eBay once I get my General-class upgrade.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I managed not to succumb to my impulsiveness when I first saw this thread months ago. Saw it on the front page this morning for the first time in forever and I can't take it. You can add $150 to the OP for an E5.

I have the money now, and I guess it's a new year so I should start up a new hobby.

Mainly what sold me was how excited everyone posting in this thread seems to be and a coworker of mine who is really into SW. Thanks, guys!

Kris Pistofferson
Sep 25, 2007
Add another $150 to the total.

I couldn't find anyone to take me to the Navy exchange, so I had to pay the full price for my e5.
Time to go open the box. Glad it's clear outside. I was not aware that the e5 came with an external antenna with it's own clip on the end, I haven't seen anyone say anything about it.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Kris Pistofferson posted:

I was not aware that the e5 came with an external antenna with it's own clip on the end, I haven't seen anyone say anything about it.

My E5 did't come with wire antenna OR batteries, but the Kaito 1103 came with two different wire clip-on antennas *and* batteries.

Elijah
Jul 13, 2004
how do i red title

Kris Pistofferson posted:

I was not aware that the e5 came with an external antenna with it's own clip on the end, I haven't seen anyone say anything about it.

The one that's included does a much better job than the whip antenna, but I still recommend making your own antenna with speaker wire and an 1/8" plug. I had MUCH better results.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Another possibly stupid newbie question - can you guys think of anything that would lead to a complete lack of signal across the entire SW band? I'm staying at a hotel near a nuclear power plant, so I'd thought that might be it, but when I hit up the beach nearby - more or less the same distance from the plant, maybe a couple of hundred meters further away - I get amazing reception. In my hotel room, though, I get literally nothing.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TetsuoTW posted:

Another possibly stupid newbie question - can you guys think of anything that would lead to a complete lack of signal across the entire SW band? I'm staying at a hotel near a nuclear power plant, so I'd thought that might be it, but when I hit up the beach nearby - more or less the same distance from the plant, maybe a couple of hundred meters further away - I get amazing reception. In my hotel room, though, I get literally nothing.

Metal-framed building, probably.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

meltie posted:

Metal-framed building, probably.

This, or my problem at work - metal-framed building with metallic window tint as well. When I had a Sirius sat radio in my office I had to put the antenna directly up against the window, and now that I've got the 1103 in there I had to take the extra-long wire antenna (23'?) and run ALL of it in a loop in the window to get even a marginal signal. I can barely get FM; nothing possible on SW at all.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mrbill posted:

This, or my problem at work - metal-framed building with metallic window tint as well. When I had a Sirius sat radio in my office I had to put the antenna directly up against the window, and now that I've got the 1103 in there I had to take the extra-long wire antenna (23'?) and run ALL of it in a loop in the window to get even a marginal signal. I can barely get FM; nothing possible on SW at all.
I don't think there's a metallic - or any - tint on the windows, but this sounds dead-set like what I was getting before I just gave up. Even FM was poo poo. And to think, half the reason I even chose this place right at the arse-end of Taiwan for a holiday was 'cause I figured I'd be able to chill in my hotel room in the evening and get my shortwave on in a nice, remote location. Ah well, at least the beach is awesome for reception. Thanks for the help.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
OP updated. 75 radios now sold!

This thread has been going strong for 8 months now! Good golly!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Dammit, this is a lot of fun. I finally got it to a place where interference was minimal and what I was able to pick up was amazing. Lots of stuff in Japanese. Too bad I don't speak that language. Planning on trying again when this drat weather clears up.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

This is very strange. Last night I picked up something in the area around 6.6 mHz that sounded like the old Russian "High Pitch Polytone" number stations which have supposedly been off the air for a long time. I wonder if any pirate broadcasters are transmitting snippets from "The Conet Project," because it sounded an awful lot like one of the samples on there.

Edit: I was also looking at the specs on the new G6 radio, and it doesn't have the ability to recharge batteries like the E5 does. However, it also only uses 2 batteries, so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I still want the new Satellit 750.

Edit 2: Holy poo poo, the thread has gone gold.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2008

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I was just looking for this thread so I'm glad it came back! So my dad gave me his old Winradio receiver card and I can't wait to start listening to things!

This card is so old, I actually did my friend a favor and took his really old, junky computer he was about to recycle off his hands. Why? I needed his computer for its ISA slot!

Anyways, this card is old so it can only tune as high 1,300 MHz. Are there any fun shortwave signals I can listen to? I want to hear number stations, crazy North Korean broadcasts, etc. I have toyed around with the scanner before my dad gave it to me but I didn't find much to listen to except chicks babbling on their cordless phones.

What I'd like to be able to pick up is police, airport, NASA, and military signals. I love aviation stuff and I'd also be interested in listening to police going after crazy criminals. What frequencies are recommended to tune in to to hear these signals? The few frequency charts I've seen were very general and weren't that helpful. I couldn't pick anything up going off of those charts. :(

If I want to listen to these signals, what kind of antenna(s) would I need? Is there any such thing as a "general" antenna that can pick up all frequencies but doesn't particularly excel at any one frequency range? My reasoning is that I would like to tune around and see what I would want to listen to first, and THEN buy an antenna suited to that frequency range when I'm not a broke college student.

Edit: Here's a link to the receiver I have: http://www.winradio.com/home/1000i.htm (mine is not the U.S. model with restricted frequencies).

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 7, 2008

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002
That looks like a cool gizmo. It certainly covers all SW frequencies in its specs, but it seems to be a scanner radio product, so I wonder what kind of a job it does on shortwave frequencies. Can't hurt to try. And it certainly will provide entertainment pulling in cops, tow trucks, and drat near everything else.

For VHF/UHF scanning, you'll want a discone antenna - but even a little whip will do OK (if you're not in the middle of nowhere that is). If you're shooting for shortwave, time to hook up a long wire and hope for the best.

emil_muzz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 8, 2008

jjack
Feb 3, 2003
I got an Eton E5 for christmas and broke the freaking antenna off already. So I'm trying to make an indoor antenna that has a headphone jack (since there's nothing left of the antenna to clip onto).

Anyone got any great ideas? I'm looking for something a little more pleasant-looking and sophisticated than a long wire, but not something that involves going to some hole in the wall electronics store and soldering a hundred different obscure parts together.

Edit: I've tried using long speaker wire + 1/8" plug and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I can't possibly figure out how I screwed this up? I cut the 1/8" off a pair of headphones, twisted each of the headphone wires to a different wire in the speaker wire, then twisted the other end of the speaker wire together. Then I went ahead and wrapped the whole thing around an old floor lamp so I didn't have wire going all over the place. What could I be doing wrong? It used to work fine when I just strung out a big wire and touched it to my antenna.

jjack fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 8, 2008

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

emil_muzz posted:

That looks like a cool gizmo. It certainly covers all SW frequencies in its specs, but it seems to be a scanner radio product, so I wonder what kind of a job it does on shortwave frequencies. Can't hurt to try. And it certainly will provide entertainment pulling in cops, tow trucks, and drat near everything else.

For VHF/UHF scanning, you'll want a discone antenna - but even a little whip will do OK (if you're not in the middle of nowhere that is). If you're shooting for shortwave, time to hook up a long wire and hope for the best.

Phew, glad that the receiver (yeah, it is a scanner) can at least tune in to the SW range! Now I am a bit curious. I was reading some of the earlier pages of this thread and people are seeming to say that a shortwave radio is better than a scanner for picking up broadcasts. Why is that? What makes a shortwave radio better than a scanner? I thought they were pretty much the same thing? This might be hard to answer, but how much "better" (for lack of a scientific term) does a shortwave radio receive signals versus a receiver? Is a receiver something like 80-percent as good or something?

Thanks for pointing me towards the discone antennas! It looks like I can get smaller ones, so I can mount a small one on the patio of the apartment I will be moving to in a few weeks (and not piss off the management). They also look to be inexpensive to boot! Awesome! :)

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

There needs to be an emoticon for the "Tim Allen satisfied man-grunt" noise.

Kenwood TS-430S and AT-250 automatic antenna tuner.

Total cost to me so far: $40 for shipping (the rig-to-tuner cable sells for more than that on eBay).

The guy I got it from emailed me two days ago, "It's shipped, and oh yeah, I put the matching tuner in the box too." I was only expecting the radio itself! :)

I can't fire it up to test RX yet, he forgot to send the power cable. D'oh!

Eventually I'll send it off to B&B Technical Services for their "Full Monty" flat-rate tweak/tune/repair service once I get my General license upgrade.

Once that's done, my total complete cost for this old-school reliable rig will be around $300. Not bad, not bad at all.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I've just been pointed to this thread by a fellow goon. Wow, I had no idea that people here would have been so interested in radio, otherwise I would have made a thread ages ago. I guess I never really could figure out where I should put it anyway. I'll just toss some stuff on here and give my story and talk about the things I like. Maybe you will like them too.

In any case, I've been listening to radio for years. Just to share my little radio story.

At first I was using this real junk small shortwave, it wasn't that great. I thought that I wanted to get into Ham but I had no idea what I was even doing, and I had a bit of money around so I bought a Grundig Satellit Millenium Edition for around $700. It's actually much better than the Windows version of the same moniker, fantastic really. It looks like this:

It's a real beauty and not to mention the great features like the loving amazing tuning knob, analog S-Meter, and great face buttons to lock stuff in. The memory system is fantastic, and it rings like a bell. They don't make them any more but if you have the means, I highly suggest this for a good starter radio. You won't want to move up for quite a while. One thing though, make sure that you get the second version of the model. The first version was plagued with a couple issues, like the tuning knob coming off, and the reception being oddly weak. They fixed the problems eventually and it became a well loved radio for amateurs, like myself. You could probably get one on eBay now.

At first I was completely nuts about keeping copious records and stuff and then I was like wait there's someone else who has done this already and sold their information. It took me almost 3 weeks of charting what I was listening to on a legal pad so I could come back to it before I thought to myself wait. So I did some well needed research.

These days I've gotten really nuts and gone pro, setting up a decent discone antenna like this one.

I might have gone a little crazy with the spending on this hobby recently, but I ended up with what in the past couple days has overloaded my mind as far as radio fun goes by using it in conjunction with this puppy.

The WiNRadio G-313e. Cost $1200, straight from the manufacturer.

This is the unit.

This is what the receiver panel looks like on your screen.

A USB computer interfaced device that works like spinning thread into beautiful gold. You can listen to so much poo poo radio with this thing. You can take the most horrible, faint, static-filled signal and filter it out for great recording and listening. On top of the fact that you can do all kinds of wacky poo poo like record your entire IF of like 15KHz and come back later and replay it like it's live and gently caress around with it, you have a wide range of software available to you. Expensive as it may be it's hours and hours of fun. WeatherFAX, Data, every listening mode you can think of, noise filtering. It's magic in a box. Plus you get to control it all right on your screen and record all your hidden radio treasures right on your hard drive, and compress it on the fly if you like.

Plus your screen ends up looking like some kind of space mission control monitor:

Books
These two books are absolutely helpful in your amazing radio :science: quests. They are about $15 each on Amazon, but they are completely worth it and make DXing so much more fun, entertaining, and save you some time. Completely worth it, in short.

The WRTH:

This guide gives you the most amazing information. You can look up pretty much any callsign you could ever hear for a station and identify it here within this tome. The appearance is close to a boyscout handbook, and about as useful. Lots of interesting miscellaneous radio information in there as well as a few articles, and it's yearly but 99% of the time it's accurate. It has listings for everything down to Biafraland. Extremely detailed stuff in here.

Another important book to have in your quest for foreign waves.

The Passport to World Band Radio:

When they say that this book is the TV Guide for radio, they aren't loving kidding. This poo poo is completely invaluable if you just want to know what is on right this moment, turn the radio on for a few minutes and listen to some stuff, no hassle involved. There's some great reviews in there on radio equipment and interesting articles to read over the year that you will be referencing the book.

Scanners
Recently I've become really interested in scanners. Scanners are a shitload of fun, and completely amazing to show to people. They go really fast through all the empty channels for you at higher frequencies where there is more radio silence so you can spend more time living vicariously through emergency services. You can listen to all kinds of stuff, mostly over 30MHz. Things like police, fire fighters, EMS. Even airplanes and boats. Cordless phones too, but technically that's illegal so you know, don't ever do that. Just don't get spotted driving around with one in your car while it's on because in Florida it's a felony or something. More like just keep it out of sight, because seriously there's nothing more fun to do with a hand held than drive around batman style following crimes. Recently there was a murder less than a mile away from the house and I found out what the commotion was all about before the news had the story.

A nice scanner that I recommend would be a hand held model for easy carrying, and if you can spend some money, get one with digital trunking, because that is some primo entertainment. With digital trunking you can follow entire conversations between the authorities. The best way to explain would be that the radio automatically flips the channels to track conversations, directed by a digital system. Scanners come with and without that option. The price difference is severe. A nice hand held without can be around $180-$200, whereas with digital tracking will put you around $500.

Some with digital trunking like the Radio Shack model I picked up (which is really a re-branded Uniden hand held) even have pre-loaded information that you can just load up into your scanner by hitting a few buttons right when you first get it. They'll include all the important services in your area, and in most cases text labels for each.

I have a decent Radio Shack desktop model, without scanning. Mostly for checking out shortwave stuff, and the occasional 899-930MHz conversation.

The Radio Shack PRO-433 cost me around $180. Perfect for starting your adventure in scanning, and still relatively easy to find in your local store.

For handheld fun times, with digital trunking and the works I use a Radio Shack PRO-96, which goes for about $500 I use this one the most, even indoors, just with an external discone antenna.

There's also a Uniden version which honestly is much cooler looking but that's about it.

I hope I did a good job getting all that out there. All in all radio can quickly become a very expensive hobby. I've invested hundreds in all other kinds of odds and ends, software for the WiNRadio especially. For me though, it can be eerie, beautiful, or whatever. It's all extremely loving entertaining and interesting to me. One day I'll go for my amateur radio operator's license and continue my dream and plow through more of my expendable income on some cool radio. I love radio, and I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning. I hadn't a clue how to work anything, and didn't know anyone with real radio knowledge so I hope other people out there in the position I was in could strap in, spend a few really valuable dollars to see how loving awesome this is, and how much of a great time can be had. I'm really happy to see there is a thread for radios, and I'll be glad to help you new guys out any way I can, if you want to send me PM's or anything.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

mrbill posted:

There needs to be an emoticon for the "Tim Allen satisfied man-grunt" noise.

Total cost to me so far: $40 for shipping (the rig-to-tuner cable sells for more than that on eBay).

The guy I got it from emailed me two days ago, "It's shipped, and oh yeah, I put the matching tuner in the box too." I was only expecting the radio itself! :)

I can't fire it up to test RX yet, he forgot to send the power cable. D'oh!

Once that's done, my total complete cost for this old-school reliable rig will be around $300. Not bad, not bad at all.

Congrats! I wish I could get something like that for that little cash. I've been looking for a while. Can't you rig a power cable for that, or do you need a supply?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

There's no one in the #shortwave channel. It is on SynIRC right? This is prime SW time people!

Catching some NAVTEX right now on 516kHz. I'll paste the whole transmission when I get it, It's pretty neat stuff. The second level of awesome radio listening is grabbing data, images, and text out of the air. Really exciting when you just start doing it. Watching it just type itself out on the screen.

I live in Cape Coral, FL, so we will get all kinds of wacky stuff over NAVTEX. In just one sitting here in 5 minutes, I've got these two whale sightings.
code:
NNNN
BRK
ZCZC AA77
CCGDSEVEN BNM 275-08 
1. RIGHT WHALE SIGHTING (NEWS-062) 07 FEB 08 1218(L) 31-13.0N 

080-55.0W, 1 ADULT, 1 CALF 
2. CANCEL AT TIME //081736Z FEB 08// 
Other Hazards:

code:
NNNN
BRK
ZCZC AA09
BROADCAST OVER VHF-FM UNTIL 132300Z FEB 08 
CCGD7 BNM 0239-08 
SUBJ: BNM 
FL - W COAST - TAMPA BAY ENTR 
1. EGMONT CH TAMPA BAY P.O.R.T.S. MOINTOR LT 
P (LLNR 22235) RPTD 
DESTR, INSTALLED TEMP WH LT DISPLAYING 
A 4S FL 
CHAR IN POSN 27-35-46.276N 082-51-33.438W. 
 ALL MARINERS ARE 
ADVISED TO EXERCISE CAUTION WHILE TRANSITING THE AREA. 
2. CANCEL AT TIME//132300Z FEB 08// 
code:
NNNN
BRK
ZCZC AA21
DGPS BNM 085-08 
FLAGSTAFF, AZ DGPS BROADCAST SITE IS UNUSABLE AS OF 051237Z FEB 
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. 
code:
NNNN
BRK
ZCZC AA70
BROADCAST OVER VHF-FM UNTIL 202300Z FEB 08 
CCGD7 BNM 0240-08 
FL-WEST COAST-TAMPA BAY 
1. GADSDEN PT/HILLBOROUGH CUT C CH OUTBOUND RRL (LLNR 22850) 
DAY 
OPTIC FOR CUT C EXTING. ALL MARINERS ARE ADVISED TO EXERCISE 

CAUTION WHILE TRANSITING THE AREA. 
2. CANCEL AT TIME//202300Z FEB 08// 
And something in the water hazardous to ships, because of STS-122 aka the shuttle that went up yesterday.

code:
NNN
BRK
AA58CGDSEVEN 
BNM 210-08 
L-GA-SEACOAST QM THE EASTERN RGE WILL BE CONDUCTINPERATIONS HAZARDOUS TO SHIPPING, OP# G9424 STS-122.   
HAZARD WILL BE CONTAINED IN HE OLLOWING AREAS: 
. FROM 28-36N 80-42W TO 28-51IPAWRW TO 28-44N 80-18W TO 28-2 0-33W TO BEGINNING. . 
FROM 30-02N 79-50W TO 30-54UOAPQW TO 30-11N 78-08W TO 29-2 9-07W TO BEGINNING. 
WM HAZARD TIMES ARE 071930Z THRU 101Z FEB 2008.  
IF OPERATION S ELAYED NEXT POSSIBLE TIME WILL BE 087Z THRU 082038Z FEB 2008. M 
CANCEL AT TIME//082038Z FEB 08 ,,4(: --*43::&*'3=3, ?,.

code:
268-08 QM RIGHT WHALE SIGHTING (NEWS-06007 FEB 08 1054(L) 31-05.0N IQAPIMPW, 3 ADULTS WM CANCEL AT TIME //081615Z FEB 0 NNRKZCZC AA32
CCGDSEVEN BNM 210-08 
FL-GA-SEACOAST 
1. THE EASTERN RGE WILL BE CONDUCTING OPERATIONS HAZARDOUS TO 

SHIPPING, OP# G9424 STS-122.  THE HAZARD WILL BE CONTAINED IN 
THE 
FOLLOWING AREAS:
A. FROM 28-36N 80-42W TO 28-51N 80-24W TO 28-44N 80-18W TO 28-28N 

80-33W TO BEGINNING. 
B. FROM 30-02N 79-50W TO 30-54N 79-01W TO 30-11N 78-08W TO 29-26N 

dvorak fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 8, 2008

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
All the pictures posted on this page look so advanced and awesome... I'm totally outclassed here and I'll never catch up. I threw some speaker wire on my roof and it increased my reception A LOT, which is cool. Plus, while I was stripping the coating off the wire the SWAT team came and busted my neighbor for something, which is also cool.

Basically I'm bumping this thread to say thanks to everyone for giving me something fun to do on my days off from work!

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Snapshot posted:

Can't you rig a power cable for that, or do you need a supply?

If it was just positive and negative terminals, I would have already rigged up a connection to my power supply (a Samlex 1223) - but it's a weird six-pin connector. The previous owner emailed me last night to say he'd found the cable, and would be mailing it today. I also found a bunch of new cables on eBay for about $10; apparently it's the same connector used by a few Yaesu and Icom rigs as well.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

mrbill posted:

If it was just positive and negative terminals, I would have already rigged up a connection to my power supply (a Samlex 1223) - but it's a weird six-pin connector. The previous owner emailed me last night to say he'd found the cable, and would be mailing it today. I also found a bunch of new cables on eBay for about $10; apparently it's the same connector used by a few Yaesu and Icom rigs as well.

I've got that same connector on my Yaesu FT-840. Though I still need a few bits and pieces to get a functioning station out of my apartment. I really should pick up a tuner, and something like this http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1786 . Any of you guys have any ideas how I could run a feed line out to the porch and still keep the doors closed/locked? Aside from wasting heating/AC, I live in the ground floor and my car has been broken into once, so I'd rather not take any chances.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Add me to the money-spent list. Just bought an E5 from Circuit City for 89.99 on clearance.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

blugu64 posted:

I've got that same connector on my Yaesu FT-840. Though I still need a few bits and Any of you guys have any ideas how I could run a feed line out to the porch and still keep the doors closed/locked? Aside from wasting heating/AC, I live in the ground floor and my car has been broken into once, so I'd rather not take any chances.

I'm not sure how permissive your landlord is, but in the co-op that I'm in, many people just chopped a small channel into the threshold so cat5 could run through without impeding the closing door. I'm not sure if that will be good with co-ax, but it works.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

David Goren from NPR runs http://www.shortwaveology.com/. It's really nifty.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So my dad is basically awesome and is going to give me his simple 3-foot tall antenna that is supposed to be really great at picking up things. Until I can get it, I jerry-rigged a really ghetto one. My Winradio receiver has a BNC connector, so I couldn't use speaker wire as an antenna as I saw in this thead.

What I ended up having to do is take some coax TV cable that was lying around, cut the coax connector off, and strip the cable down to its copper wire in the center. I then just stick the copper wire into the hole of the BNC connector on the receiver. So far, it seems to have helped some. Before, I literally had NO antenna so I could not even pick up FM radio stations that I can pick up on my stereo.

Now, the cable lets me pick up FM radio stations, so at least I know it's made some improvement. My question is: what type of frequencies can I hope to pick up with this 2-3 foot long stretch of TV coax cable?

I live in an apartment complex right by my University which is not the best side of town. So, needless to say, my complex is VERY shady (seriously, I'm convinced a drug dealer lives above me, tweakers next door to me, gang bangers in the other building) and so I'd like to be able to pick up cordless phone and cellular calls as I bet everything I pick up would be comedic gold.

From doing some research, it looks like I would need this coax cable to be able to pick up the 40-50 MHz range, the 800-MHz range, and the 900MHz range. Can my ghetto antenna do this? I tried scanning these ranges a little, but I couldn't find anything. But I wonder how much of that is a function of a) me not knowing what I'm doing with my receiver, b) there aren't any calls going on right now (it's 1PM - college students are still hungover and sleeping).

Also using this antenna, I tried my hand at trying to pick up some shortwave radio stations. Will this antenna work?

My basic understanding of antenna lengths is that basically longer antennas work better for lower frequencies and vice-versa. Is this correct? I'm Googling as fast as I can, but the world of radio is so complex! I love it! :)

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 9, 2008

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Dolemite posted:

words
If I were you, I would just go out and buy one of these, some coax, and a UHF->BNC adapter. With a little ghetto-engineering, you can suspend it from your ceiling in front of a window, like this. They way I did it was get a small screw with large threads, poke a starter hole in the ceiling with a little phillips screwdriver, and screw it into the ceiling. Then just get some string and a hair tie, and get that bad boy up there.

You might eventually be able to use a cut piece of coax as an antenna, but this will work MUCH better and it's relatively cheap. This antenna works great for UHF/VHF and I use it as my primary scanning antenna. It will NOT work for shortwave, though.

For shortwave, you have many options. First, you could get some 16 or 14 gauge speaker wire and a BNC connector. Run wire around the perimeter of your window and around the ceiling. Strip the ends of the wire and solder it to the BNC connector, and plug it in. This is pretty much how I did my first SWL antenna, and it worked pretty good, if a bit noisy.

Then, I got one of these and haven't looked back. Getting this antenna for SWL was one of my best purchases so far...it works fantastic and is easy to stealth-install if you get a little creative. If you live up a couple floors, you can just tie something to the end of it as a weight and toss the fucker out the window. I have mine setup where it goes out my window, up a floor along a gutter, and then horizontal along the roofline of the second floor (inverted L). The wire gauge is small enough to where it's not very noticeable. I used some 3M plastic sticky hooks for christmas lights to do it.

As far as listening to cellular...not gonna happen. First, all the cell phones are digital now. Analog will be officially turned off this month I believe. Second, unless you have an "unblocked" receiver, you won't be able to tune to the proper frequencies. Cordless phones, that's a maybe, depending on your radio and how new your neighbor's phones are. You can google for the frequency ranges to search in.

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
Ok so the trade for the YB400PE failed, but I sold my broken 360 to a goon and went out and picked up a G5 today along with some wire and a 1/8 connector. Tack on $171.29 to the total.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

jjack posted:

I got an Eton E5 for christmas and broke the freaking antenna off already. So I'm trying to make an indoor antenna that has a headphone jack (since there's nothing left of the antenna to clip onto).

Anyone got any great ideas? I'm looking for something a little more pleasant-looking and sophisticated than a long wire, but not something that involves going to some hole in the wall electronics store and soldering a hundred different obscure parts together.

Edit: I've tried using long speaker wire + 1/8" plug and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I can't possibly figure out how I screwed this up? I cut the 1/8" off a pair of headphones, twisted each of the headphone wires to a different wire in the speaker wire, then twisted the other end of the speaker wire together. Then I went ahead and wrapped the whole thing around an old floor lamp so I didn't have wire going all over the place. What could I be doing wrong? It used to work fine when I just strung out a big wire and touched it to my antenna.

While I know this isn't entirely an answer, you CAN order a replacement whip antenna for the E5/G5 from Eton for 15 bucks right here.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to update the OP.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Jose Pointero posted:

Then, I got one of these and haven't looked back. Getting this antenna for SWL was one of my best purchases so far...it works fantastic and is easy to stealth-install if you get a little creative. If you live up a couple floors, you can just tie something to the end of it as a weight and toss the fucker out the window. I have mine setup where it goes out my window, up a floor along a gutter, and then horizontal along the roofline of the second floor (inverted L). The wire gauge is small enough to where it's not very noticeable. I used some 3M plastic sticky hooks for christmas lights to do it.

How much are we talking about for one of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
Out of the box got about 10 stations inside my apartment (in-ground first floor) split some speaker wire and hooked it up to a 1/8 jack and just laid it on the ground inside. Got even more channels, some faint some quite clear. I'll toss it on the tree outside my patio when it gets a little darker. Already got some stares when i was trying to string it along the outside of my patio.

• Locked thread