Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

In ableton you can bind almost anything to a key or midi control, so if you want to be able to arm multiple tracks with a single key simply bind their stop/record button to one key.

As for starting the audio and then determining the tempo, the best way to do this is to have him play his part for a bit and tap tempo to him, as long as his tempo is very steady you can then record him and then capture the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RizieN posted:

Maybe I'm just missing it, but is there a way to activate more than one audio channel at once?
What do you mean by "activate"? Record on it? Use Ctrl on your keyboard to select more than one track.

quote:

Also, is there maybe a way to not have a metronome or set the bpm/bars/beats in program, and just go by audio and it just loop however long the audio file is...
If you select an audio block, click the "Warp" button so warping is off and it just plays the sound at the actual tempo. Then, right-click and choose "Loop selection". Live will place markers at the end and start of the block.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Using ctrl, command/apple, alt and shift, none of them selected multiple tracks in live for me.

I basically need to have multiple live channels making sound at once, as it is now, atleast as far as my knowledge goes, I can only record on one channel at once, I need atleast 4 audio channels all ready to record at the same time anytime. I'm using ableton live 5, am I gonna have to get a new program or is there a way to do this with live?

I've been loving with bidule too, but to no success yet.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

i forget if it was apple or command but one of those should work.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RizieN posted:

Using ctrl, command/apple, alt and shift, none of them selected multiple tracks in live for me.
Now, I'm using it on Windows, but here's exactly what I do:

- click on the "Arm recording" button of the first track
- hold Ctrl (for OS X it's the Apple key)
- while holding, click on the "Arm recording" button of the second track.

Page 171 in my Live 6 manual :)

Just make sure every track is recording from a different external input; to get those going, you have to go to Options > Preferences.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I guess it was that the version I had on this computer was the one that came with my interface, and wasn't the full version, so could only do one channel at a time. I installed the full one and now it works. I can't wait to get funky.

Thanks for being patient :)

RizieN fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 28, 2008

Klaus
Sep 6, 2006

Bum
Bum
I like to bang
on de drum
I need advice on a home recording setup.

I'm a drummer, and my band has tried multiple attempts at recording, none of which turn out sounding great, mainly because of the difficulties recording the drumset. Early recordings consisted only of one regular mic on the entire drumset, and it sounded terrible. Recently we recorded an EP using an electronic drumset (Yamaha DD55). It sounded a lot better, but I had no idea that the triggers were so inaccurate. So I had to spend hours trying to replace missed triggers, or nudging around off-time triggers. And the cymbals definitively sound not-real.

I want to buy a better recording setup, though, not a really-expensive one. What I want to do is buy all the stuff used off eBay to get as much bang for my buck as possible. My price range for the whole setup is around $400.

This is what I'm looking to buy:

1. A 4 channel mixer
All I need is something to accept 4 separate inputs, with volume, EQ, and pan control on each channel, and mix it out to a stereo cable. Anything else is superfluous.

2. 3-4 microphones
I'm thinking one kick, one snare, and two overheads should be sufficient. I don't know what kind to get at all, or how much I can buy them for. Perhaps I could get two good, used mics for the snare and kick, and two whatevers for the overheads (I already have one whatever mic)? Maybe a set of four less-than-terrible standard home recording mics, used?

3. 2-3 stands
I need for sure two booms for the overheads, I have one boom already for snare, and if I can't fit it into my budget I can always put the kick drum mike on a box in front of the drum instead of buying another stand.

Any advice? The best would be popular products that I could find used off eBay that would fit my (small) budget.
Thanks!

Klaus fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 28, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I also need some advice. I'm in the market for an audio interface.

I would mostly want to record guitar tracks, either through the XLR line-out on my amp or through the 1/4" headphone jack. I'd to like to move to miking my amp somewhere down the line, and maybe record some acoustic instruments or vocal tracks, so decent mic preamps would be nice. I don't see myself recording full drum sets, so I don't think I need tons of channels. Software bundles are a plus, I don't have much DAW experience so I don't really have any preferences.

So far I've been looking at the Alesis IO2 (cheap, only two channels), M-Audio Fast Track Pro, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (this one looks great but I can't find it in stock anywhere).

If anyone wants to make any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it, I don't know much about interfaces (I've only been looking at USB interfaces so far, if there's any reason I should go Firewire let me know).

e: Forgot to mention, I would like MIDI I/O as well.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

Ableton live lets you record synth and audio to a metrenome or drum beat and loop it in real time. For example, as the last bar of your loop is playing, you hit record on your synth track, then start playing on the down beat. As you reach the end of your last bar you or someone else hits "stop" and recording will stop right before the next downbeat, at which point your loop begins playing in sync.

It's really, really cool.

Can you trim and edit the samples in detail, to get them to fit in the bar perfectly? I used to do this all the time in Adobe Audition. I've only spent a couple minutes with the Ableton Live demo and I was wondering about this.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

I also need some advice. I'm in the market for an audio interface.

So far I've been looking at the Alesis IO2 (cheap, only two channels), M-Audio Fast Track Pro, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (this one looks great but I can't find it in stock anywhere).

If anyone wants to make any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it, I don't know much about interfaces (I've only been looking at USB interfaces so far, if there's any reason I should go Firewire let me know).

e: Forgot to mention, I would like MIDI I/O as well.

Personally I would suggest getting a simpler computer interface with less bundled stuff in it, so the Fast Track or something similar. I have a PreSonus Bluetube mic preamp and PreSonus bluemax compressor (link goes to the one they sell now, similar and cheaper), routed via RCA input on an M-Audio Audiophile sound card (whince).

By no means am I advocating any of those specific products. I'm happy with all of them but I don't have any experience with comparable gear. What I'm saying is look into getting a simpler box so that you can more easily and affordably upgrade your components (like a compressor, or mic preamp). I don't know, for example, how you would put a compressor or other FX loop between that M-Audio box and the computer, or if you can use a mic that requires phantom power without getting a phantom power box. I do wish I had something like the Fast Track so I could have an XLR-in to the computer, though.

What kind of mic are you planning on getting? and do you already have MIDI gear that necessitates MIDI on your box? Most MIDI gear these days has USB out so MIDI ports aren't necessary. You'll want a mic preamp if it's not built into your interface box.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Well all of the boxes I was looking at have at least 2 inserts, I think these can be used to run the signal out of the preamp and into an effects loop before hitting the A/D converter.

I was planning on getting an SM57 or similar for micing amps. I guess an XLR in would be best so that I could run a balanced signal? All the boxes I linked do 48v phantom power if I want to use a condenser down the line.

I have an amp that can be deep-edited/programmed through MIDI, it just has MIDI din jacks, so yeah, I would need MIDI ports.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm trying to run my mixer through my Fast-Track, and at first time I thought I would just have to run the REC OUT on my Yamaha MG102C to the line-in in my mixer, and later switch my inputs in Logic (with the Fast-Track selected) to input 2, and that's it. Well, volumes were far too low, so I decided to experiment with the other outputs, until eventually I met Stereo Out.

It works what I would assume as well, but I somehow fear running a normal 1/4th instrument cable from the Stereo Output (which usually goes to an amp/powered PA) to a "line in" input at my Fast-Track interface would blow something up. Am I just being paranoid or will something blow up if I keep thinks going this way?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Steiler Drep posted:

Am I just being paranoid or will something blow up if I keep thinks going this way?
Your mixer isn't powered, so you're sending a line-level signal to a line-level input. Nothing will blow up.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

nimper posted:

Your mixer isn't powered, so you're sending a line-level signal to a line-level input. Nothing will blow up.

Excellent, this means I'm getting a Y-splitter tomorrow and a condenser mic. Thanks!

1k in Motion
Oct 28, 2007
football love
Hi guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to mixing and editing. I'm trying to make this song sound like it were being heard through a wall (or a door if you prefer) for this video project I am making. I'm using Garage Band, can someone give me a clue to how I can go about distorting it to sound this way? I could re-record the song actually playing through a wall, but that would decrease the quality of the song. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

Well all of the boxes I was looking at have at least 2 inserts, I think these can be used to run the signal out of the preamp and into an effects loop before hitting the A/D converter.

I was planning on getting an SM57 or similar for micing amps. I guess an XLR in would be best so that I could run a balanced signal? All the boxes I linked do 48v phantom power if I want to use a condenser down the line.

I have an amp that can be deep-edited/programmed through MIDI, it just has MIDI din jacks, so yeah, I would need MIDI ports.

You can't go wrong with an SM57.

Since reading your last post I've been looking into replacing my PCI card with one of these boxes so I can get a balanced line all the way to the computer, and eBay has a ton of cheap fast tracks up, even some Fast Track Pros (probably $100 $150 plus shipping if you're patient, retails for $200). If money's an issue, you can get a MIDI-USB interface for about 40 bucks to supplement a cheaper audio box with no midi I/O.

What other boxes are you looking at?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It seems that the Fast Track has a balanced XLR jack, and the Ultra has two, but the Pro has none.

I've looked at a few Firewire boxes, this Edirol looks pretty nice, but I've noticed it only has TRS inputs even though it supports phantom power for mics. Can I use a stereo TRS cable and an adapter to connect a mic to this and still get a balanced signal? I mean, are XLR jacks really necessary?

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hey everyone, I'm also new to home recording!

I have a M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and an Audio-technica condenser mic to record guitar parts and I'm using Cubase Sx3 as my program.

My problem is this. Sometimes when I try to record two guitar parts that are almost exactly the same, say with a two note difference at the end of the lick, when I play the tracks back together, they have a reverb sound to them.

And it's not just the two different notes, it'll be the whole section.

Am I just not recording them as accurate as I could be?

Any help would be appreciated!

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Asian GF XXXL posted:

Can you trim and edit the samples in detail, to get them to fit in the bar perfectly? I used to do this all the time in Adobe Audition. I've only spent a couple minutes with the Ableton Live demo and I was wondering about this.

yes there's a feature called "warping". Once you have your clip you can double click it to bring it up in the warp editor, at which point you can double-click the bar lines displayed above the wave form to add warp markers. So if you double click beat 3 it becomes a warp marker, you can then drag it to wherever you want in the waveform and it will realtime stretch the audio around it to make that marker be beat 3.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

Thanks Rivensbitch! I am just going to do what I did with Adobe Audition now and learn by doing.

wizard:
The Fast Track Pro has two xlr (1/4" combo) inputs, right in front. That edirol has combo inputs. You can plug regular XLRs into it.

blackshreds posted:

Hey everyone, I'm also new to home recording!

I have a M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and an Audio-technica condenser mic to record guitar parts and I'm using Cubase Sx3 as my program.

My problem is this. Sometimes when I try to record two guitar parts that are almost exactly the same, say with a two note difference at the end of the lick, when I play the tracks back together, they have a reverb sound to them.

And it's not just the two different notes, it'll be the whole section.

Am I just not recording them as accurate as I could be?

Any help would be appreciated!

First, why are you doubling guitar parts? Sound like your getting a "chorus" sound by playing stuff in unison. You're never going to play it identically so it's going to sound weird. Unless that's what you're going for, use keyboards or some complimentary but different chords to beef up your guitar.

Second, you're monitoring through headphones right? Don't want to be recording the mix onto your armed track by having some speakers a few feet away from your mic.

Third, do you have low latency? You might be trying to play along with the first track but be behind it if you have high latency. This shouldn't be a problem with the Fast Track but if you have it set up wrong it could be.

Sometimes playing the same thing twice through can sound good cause of the little differences between the two tracks, but I'd recommend panning each track to opposite sides quite a lot so that they don't interfere with each other.

Really this just sounds normal. If you don't want that sound then don't try to record the same thing twice and play it simultaneously through the same channel.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Asian GF XXXL posted:

wizard:
The Fast Track Pro has two xlr (1/4" combo) inputs, right in front. That edirol has combo inputs. You can plug regular XLRs into it.

Ah, I didn't know combo jacks existed. Now that I look at the photos I can see how an XLR jack could fit in there. Thanks for clearing things up.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I got the amazingly weird idea that recording to a cassette (on what would be called a "high-end" deck system) would somehow improve my records, maybe even add some life to them. Is this a good idea? Are there any people who do this? Is this the same as what studios do in which they record to thick tape and then mix it all, or is this just stupid?

Just an idea for now though. I did bring my tape-deck to my "studio" but due to having crappy RCA cables I'm going to have to wait until I find better ones, so any result for now is not good.

Edit: ah, and an actual question. I have a condenser and a dynamic mic connected to my mixer. I plan on using both at the same time. Would adding phantom power to the dynamic cause something (since I can only switch phantom on all 4 XLRs or none)?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Steiler Drep posted:

I got the amazingly weird idea that recording to a cassette (on what would be called a "high-end" deck system) would somehow improve my records, maybe even add some life to them. Is this a good idea? Are there any people who do this? Is this the same as what studios do in which they record to thick tape and then mix it all, or is this just stupid?

Just an idea for now though. I did bring my tape-deck to my "studio" but due to having crappy RCA cables I'm going to have to wait until I find better ones, so any result for now is not good.

Edit: ah, and an actual question. I have a condenser and a dynamic mic connected to my mixer. I plan on using both at the same time. Would adding phantom power to the dynamic cause something (since I can only switch phantom on all 4 XLRs or none)?

I've heard of people doing stuff like this, even recording to VHS tapes. I don't see why it wouldn't work, you might get a neat sound like that. It probably won't have that professional tape sound but it could work.

Also adding phantom power to a dynamic won't do a thing, just don't do it to a ribbon mic ;)

the mattness
Oct 11, 2005
Why does it hurt when I pee?
I've got a laptop and Ableton Live. I want a low latency interface that will let me record probably 4-6 tracks at the same time, i.e. a drumkit, I'll also be recording vocals, bass and guitar; the whole shebang. I also have 2 midi keyboards which don't have usb/firewire outputs so it'll need midi aswell.

My laptop has a few usb 2.0 ports and one mini firewire port aswell as a pcmia slot. What would be my best bet, splurge on a decent laptop interface like the emu 1616m or get a decent firewire box? Also, would it be worth getting a seperate mixer?

Mics and preamps i'd prefer to keep seperate as I can probably get them cheap locally. Lovely area.

Budget is probably around £150-200 and I want somehing I'll use without getting frustated with lag and quality like the old usb box I had.

Thanks!

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm getting started on a real basic set up. This is my first attempt at recording to my PC, although I've done a lot of analog recording before. I'm using an older Shure mic (not self-powered), running it through an older Yamaha 4-track cassette unit as a means of amplifying the signal. From there it goes to my PC's line in. I'm using Adobe Audition (primarily) to record.

Problem: any tracks recorded from the mic have an odd volume problem. It's almost like a Dolby effect--when the volume of the instrument being recorded is soft, the volume of the recording signal drops; when the volume is loud, the signal volume correspondingly jumps. Here's a sample:

http://www.snortworld.com/dl/example1.mp3

I'm running the signal straight through the 4-track raw (no processing), and I know the signal going through is fine. I've tried using Audacity and get the same result, so it doesn't seem to be a software issue. It seems to be something in the way the computer is handling the signal. Any help here would be appreciated. ;)

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006
In ProTools 6.4, concerning Midi.

When Reason(3.0) is in rewire mode, does it adhere to the Reason settings for control surfaces, or will it defacto to whatever Pro Tools is talking to?

For all practicality, a Keystation 61 by midiman connected via USB.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
This is a bunch of dumb questions which I'm sure have been answered before, but I can't sift through 20 pages of conversation.

I just got an Alesis Ion and love it. I bought an E-MU 1212M so that I can record the synth with my computer, but for some reason when I plug everything in, I get no signal. Do I need a preamp?

Also, what cables do I need to send MIDI data to the ion? It has 5-pin MIDI connectors on the back, and the 1212 has a midi port (looks kind of like a s-video jack?). I went to my local music shop today and did see anything with a 5-pin on one end and that type of connector on the other. My hope is to have Reason's arpeggiator send a bassline to the Ion then I can play over it with a lead.

[edit: turns out I'm dumb and E-MU included some adaptors to go from soundcard midi to synth midi.]

I also recently ordered a korg kaossilator for fun and I was wondering how to hook it up to the soundcard for recording. The 1212 has an S/PDIF coaxial jack and the kaossilator has stereo outputs. Is there such a thing has a stereo rca-to-coaxial cable, and would this get the sound properly into my PC?

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 7, 2008

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

1k in Motion posted:

Hi guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to mixing and editing. I'm trying to make this song sound like it were being heard through a wall (or a door if you prefer) for this video project I am making. I'm using Garage Band, can someone give me a clue to how I can go about distorting it to sound this way? I could re-record the song actually playing through a wall, but that would decrease the quality of the song. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Sounds like you want a lowpass filter. Use one and play around with the cutoff, maybe add some room reverb?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

ThrillKiller posted:

I also recently ordered a korg kaossilator for fun and I was wondering how to hook it up to the soundcard for recording. The 1212 has an S/PDIF coaxial jack and the kaossilator has stereo outputs. Is there such a thing has a stereo rca-to-coaxial cable, and would this get the sound properly into my PC?

The "D" in S/PDIF stands for digital. I don't think the Kaossilator does digital output, so you'll need to run it to one of the analog inputs on your soundcard.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Klaus posted:

I want to buy a better recording setup, though, not a really-expensive one. What I want to do is buy all the stuff used off eBay to get as much bang for my buck as possible. My price range for the whole setup is around $400.

This is what I'm looking to buy:

1. A 4 channel mixer
All I need is something to accept 4 separate inputs, with volume, EQ, and pan control on each channel, and mix it out to a stereo cable. Anything else is superfluous.

2. 3-4 microphones
I'm thinking one kick, one snare, and two overheads should be sufficient. I don't know what kind to get at all, or how much I can buy them for. Perhaps I could get two good, used mics for the snare and kick, and two whatevers for the overheads (I already have one whatever mic)? Maybe a set of four less-than-terrible standard home recording mics, used?

3. 2-3 stands
I need for sure two booms for the overheads, I have one boom already for snare, and if I can't fit it into my budget I can always put the kick drum mike on a box in front of the drum instead of buying another stand.

Any advice? The best would be popular products that I could find used off eBay that would fit my (small) budget.
Thanks!

An AKG D112 on the kick and a Shure SM57 on the snare is pretty standard, although a second 57 in the kick instead of a D112 to save money would suffice. For the overheads though I'm not really sure what you could get for your price range, generally speaking you want a matched pair of condensers, but they're expensive, even a pair of relativly cheap akg c1000s would put you over budget. I guess dynamics could be used as overheads instead but I've never done this so someone else will have to comment on whether its viable or not, but on your budget it might be nessacary.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Anybody knows how to change volume levels during a track inside Logic 8? Like say, I have my drums at certain volumes during a passage, I want them to be louder in other parts, and quieter in some. Can I also do this with the compressor and reverb?

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
This thread is awesome! I've been trying to get into a little bit of home audio since I just built a new computer that can handle something other than the default wave recorder.

I have a X3 guitar processor that has a USB out to the computer but I'm not satisfied with the quality. The X3 has a way for me to plug in both my guitar and the microphone into it, but I would really prefer a seperate way to process the microphone. So ideally, I want a machine that will let me record guitar and microphone.

Guitar ----> X3 -----> Device -----> Computer
Microphone ----> Preamp ----> Device -----> Computer

I saw a cheap 25 dollar pre-amp for the microphone. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581 Does anyone have any good experience with this product?

Also, what is that magic Device I'm looking for? I was looking at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505 but I've heard bad things about USB.

I'm on a tight budget so I don't have a monitor, but I've been running all my stuff out through headphones or the guitar amp. Will it damage my guitar amp to play bass guitar and other stuff through it? Sometimes I even listen to the Mp3 player via the amp but I wasn't sure how safe that was. It's a Marshall JCM 20000 combo amp

Adrenochrome fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 10, 2008

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

Steiler Drep posted:

Anybody knows how to change volume levels during a track inside Logic 8? Like say, I have my drums at certain volumes during a passage, I want them to be louder in other parts, and quieter in some. Can I also do this with the compressor and reverb?

I'm not so hot with logic, but you can switch to automation view (the hot key is 'a') and edit the volume automation that way.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

iamlark posted:

I'm not so hot with logic, but you can switch to automation view (the hot key is 'a') and edit the volume automation that way.

Thanks! That works. I still need to edit reverbs and delays but I think i'm keeping it this way unless it is possible.

Also, is it possible to merge 2 midi tracks (like overlay them)?

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Ok, so I have my PreSonus Firebox audio interface all set up and working nicely. I want to use it to connect my midi controller to my PC, but there's a problem. The back of the firebox uses S/PDIF connection for MIDI but my keyboard uses the standard MIDI jack.

I need either a MIDI->SPDIF cable or an adapter :( The guy at Guitar Center just gave me a funny look when I asked if they had such a thing. Does anyone know where I can buy a MIDI adapter of this sort?

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

Aenovae posted:

Ok, so I have my PreSonus Firebox audio interface all set up and working nicely. I want to use it to connect my midi controller to my PC, but there's a problem. The back of the firebox uses S/PDIF connection for MIDI but my keyboard uses the standard MIDI jack.

I need either a MIDI->SPDIF cable or an adapter :( The guy at Guitar Center just gave me a funny look when I asked if they had such a thing. Does anyone know where I can buy a MIDI adapter of this sort?

Get on the Presonus site and look for a breakout cable for your firebox. It's a cable that will have the serial plug on one end, and on the other it will have 4 plugs, two midi, two rca (s/pdif).

edit: It says that the breakout cable should be included with the interface. Did you buy it used?

iamlark fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 11, 2008

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Welp I'm stupid because the firebox comes with the breakout cable! I just misplaced it among the shuffle in my office.

Thanks for the help.

Ator fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 11, 2008

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Simple question:

I'm looking to record my sets and then break them apart into tracks that will play seemlessly on a CD, but if someone does not like a song they can skip ahead.

I have a good copy of Nero, Adobe Audition v1.5, and/or Ableton Live 3.0.

Suggestions? I realize these can all do much more than what I'm looking to do. Feel free to AIM c0ldfuse, I'll be on all afternoon.

Fucktard Idiot
Oct 8, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

Simple question:

I'm looking to record my sets and then break them apart into tracks that will play seemlessly on a CD, but if someone does not like a song they can skip ahead.

I have a good copy of Nero, Adobe Audition v1.5, and/or Ableton Live 3.0.

Suggestions? I realize these can all do much more than what I'm looking to do. Feel free to AIM c0ldfuse, I'll be on all afternoon.

Do this in Audition. Load the set as a single wave file, then just cut and paste to a new file each track. Fade in and out at the end of each track by highlighting the time you want the fade to cover and going to Amplitude effects, fade in/out.

Save each one of these files in the uncompressed format of your choice and load em up in Nero in audio cd mode and you're done.

You can skip the fade step if you want, depends on what you're working with really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Asian GF XXXL posted:

Do this in Audition. Load the set as a single wave file, then just cut and paste to a new file each track. Fade in and out at the end of each track by highlighting the time you want the fade to cover and going to Amplitude effects, fade in/out.

Save each one of these files in the uncompressed format of your choice and load em up in Nero in audio cd mode and you're done.

You can skip the fade step if you want, depends on what you're working with really.

Thanks for the comment, I literally just met you there. Unfortunately I can't seem to get my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card to accept the Line In as the input or map it so that I'm actually getting stereo (not the mono of the mic port).

EDIT:
I can hear it over my speakers, I just can't seem to adjust the option in Audition to use the line in.

Jesus, it took me too long for something so simple I'm not going to explain it.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 12, 2008