Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

TheDingo posted:

That is very sharp. How much is that going to run in the end?
$1,400. Everything's already paid for, and I have it all except the hardware, so that's the final figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
I have just officially begun saving for a Korg Oasys. According to my budgeting plan it will take me exactly 10 months from this day. My Triton will stay with me for sentimental value, but will soon be overshadowed by a beast few can truly comprehend.

Draesk
Sep 12, 2007

Rifter17 posted:

Be careful with those hangers. If you put the bass too far back in there, the plastic corners will eat away at the finish around the headstock. It got a couple of my basses before I noticed it.

Ooo. I missed that because most of it is covered in foam, but there is still a plastic lip that can catch the underside of the headstock. Thanks for that!

Edit:

3toes posted:

That fretless is hot.

It's a 6-string too. :q:

The back of the neck hasn't been varnished yet, but all the staining is finished.

The 4-string in the middle is an old Yamaha RBX270 fretless as well, but it has lines. :(

Draesk fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 29, 2008

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Nermal. posted:

I have just officially begun saving for a Korg Oasys. According to my budgeting plan it will take me exactly 10 months from this day. My Triton will stay with me for sentimental value, but will soon be overshadowed by a beast few can truly comprehend.

76 or 88?

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
How much would it cost to buy 2 humbuckers and all the wiring needed? I have a cheap old Ibanez that stopped working and I'm thinking about getting 2 new humbuckers for it and rewiring it. I've been looking at the diagrams so it can't be that hard with some practice in soldering, but where's the cheapest place to buy parts for it?

Guitar center? Musician's friend?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Adrenochrome posted:

How much would it cost to buy 2 humbuckers and all the wiring needed? I have a cheap old Ibanez that stopped working and I'm thinking about getting 2 new humbuckers for it and rewiring it. I've been looking at the diagrams so it can't be that hard with some practice in soldering, but where's the cheapest place to buy parts for it?

Guitar center? Musician's friend?

You shouldn't need any additional wiring, and the cheapest humbuckers you can get are GFS pickups. If you DO need new wire, check out stewmac or guitarpartsresource.

That said, I've found $150 Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios on eBay for $10 or less.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

This arrived over the weekend compliments of eBay:

2004 CIJ Jazzmaster in pretty much immaculate condition. The color is semi-transparent, with an almost purplish hue it seems; much better than an opaque white, I think. I'm still tweaking the setup (the truss rod adjustments were a pain) but I can't say I'm not thrilled with it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

øptimysticism posted:

2004 CIJ Jazzmaster in pretty much immaculate condition. The color is semi-transparent, with an almost purplish hue it seems; much better than an opaque white, I think. I'm still tweaking the setup (the truss rod adjustments were a pain) but I can't say I'm not thrilled with it.

'Sup, Jazzmaster buddy? :cool:

3-tone sunburst reissue owner here. I can't really tell by the bridge in the photo, but consider swapping the stocker out for a tune-o-matic as I'm sure many people will and have already said so.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Minto Took posted:

'Sup, Jazzmaster buddy? :cool:

3-tone sunburst reissue owner here. I can't really tell by the bridge in the photo, but consider swapping the stocker out for a tune-o-matic as I'm sure many people will and have already said so.
Yeah, the hate for the Jazzmaster bridge is pretty ubiquitous online, but I'ma give a shot, at least for a little while. For now, I'm worrying about fitting the nut to some flatwound 11's. The first set I had on, the E and A strings were too fat for it. I don't know if I'm brave enough to tackle that job myself though...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

øptimysticism posted:

Yeah, the hate for the Jazzmaster bridge is pretty ubiquitous online, but I'ma give a shot, at least for a little while.

Mustang bridges are the most painless swap.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

granpa yum posted:

76 or 88?

I have an 88 key Triton. I can't decide whether to just use the Triton keys as control and grab a 76 or just go batshit insane and have two retarded sized keyboards. Regardless I will have this board.

I will have this board.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Nermal. posted:

I have an 88 key Triton. I can't decide whether to just use the Triton keys as control and grab a 76 or just go batshit insane and have two retarded sized keyboards. Regardless I will have this board.

I will have this board.

go all out man, you are getting extravagance realized in keyboard form you might as well go all the way.

more power to you, i got the chance to play with an oasys once for a short while and it was breathtaking. i just love that they are actually updating the OS with awesome things

post pictures in 10 months!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

øptimysticism posted:

Minto Took posted:

'Sup, Jazzmaster buddy? :cool: 3-tone sunburst reissue owner here.
Heyyyyy CIJ and/or sunburst JM buddies.

Handen posted:

Mustang bridges are the most painless swap.
This is true. The biggest problem with the stock bridge is that the saddle height screws tend to work themselves loose after a while. You can dab them with Loc-Tite to keep them in place, though.

But the best improvement you can do to a CIJ Jazzmaster is to swap out the pickups & pots. Original JMs had wide flat coils, and 1meg pots on the lead circuit; CIJ pickups are more like a Strat, with 250k pots.

(CIJ on the left, Duncan on the right)

I put a pair of Duncan Antiquitys in mine and the difference really is night & day (especially with flatwound strings). Lollar, Fralin and Novak also make top-notch JM pickups.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 30, 2008

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

Carbohydrates posted:

Already got some, actually. A pair of Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. Always wanted to try them out.

Got 'em on both my Fenders. They sound fantastic.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've had it for a little while now, but it's my new MTD Kingston (thanks to Josh Wow) next to my old Mexican Jazz. I love how it feels and sounds, and it's a lot louder than the Jazz.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
My brother gave me an Ovation CC44 for christmas (my parents were going to give it to me originally but he's way too cool and he paid it up for me, and also the zero-gravity case :D )

And I bought an M-Audio Fast-Track while I went to the U.S. Just 2 hours ago I got an M-Audio Pulsar condenser mic (which is much better than what I expected it to be) which I got specifically for my Ovation. Sweet!!

The Apathy Party
Nov 7, 2005
lost to apathy
My gig-fx chopper just arrived! If anyone is interested i can upload some samples of it in action.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Apathy Party posted:

My gig-fx chopper just arrived! If anyone is interested i can upload some samples of it in action.

YES!

The Apathy Party
Nov 7, 2005
lost to apathy

3toes posted:

YES!

I think I may have posted too soon, this pedal takes some getting used to.
I should have some samples up by this time tomorrow.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Apathy Party posted:

I think I may have posted too soon, this pedal takes some getting used to.
I should have some samples up by this time tomorrow.

Tease :flaccid:

Here is what I'm replacing my (now sold) Mini Q-tron with in a week or two:

Mmmmmmm.

glenlochrock
Apr 4, 2003

Marshall 1959hw 100w head.

just bought on tuesday. im a proud papa. going into a Dr.Z "z" best 2x12 cab

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

glenlochrock posted:

Unjumper that this instant, young man!

Other than that, you are a lucky bastard and I hope you die in a fire.

(Post clips)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

glenlochrock posted:

better get used to those volume settings right there... Unless you're playing Wembley. or the Moon.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

magnificent7 posted:

better get used to those volume settings right there... Unless you're playing Wembley. or the Moon.

Moon is booked straight through October :(

glenlochrock
Apr 4, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

so true...

heres a couple pictures of the new rig

hey baby meet your new brother

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
Kill your daughter with it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

glenlochrock posted:

so true...

heres a couple pictures of the new rig

hey baby meet your new brother

Sooo jealous... I'm planning on getting a Ceriatone amp later this year and currently tossing up between a JTM45 and just going all out with the Superlead 100.

Capitan Dad posted:

Kill your daughter with it.

Volume on 2 will do it.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

What's the patch cable for?

SimulClassPower
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbotSD

Engine Fortegue posted:

unleashing hell. :)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Engine Fortegue posted:

Mixes the two channels.

The Apathy Party
Nov 7, 2005
lost to apathy
Ok here we go. Sorry for the delay. I'm still getting used to the pedal so these aren't the best examples of what it can do.

First off, helicopter noises!

Now some Wah and sloppy playing

A little more of the same settings.

Distortion time.

Clean.

The chopper is capable of more than this, I'm just not very good with it yet.
Hopefully i will come up with some better samples over the weekend

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

HolySwissCheese posted:

Mixes the two channels.

So, he's got the patch running from the first input into the second input, and his guitar is going into what I'm assuming is the effects loop power-in, right?

I feel stupid for needing to ask, but what's the purpose?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Engine Fortegue posted:

So, he's got the patch running from the first input into the second input, and his guitar is going into what I'm assuming is the effects loop power-in, right?

I feel stupid for needing to ask, but what's the purpose?

It's basically a two channel amp with two inputs per channel (normal and high treble), bridging two of the inputs allows you to run both channels in parallel. His guitar is plugged into a third input. Bridging to different inputs will give you different results, I'm not sure I haven't played with one that much.

It's a very simple amp, no footswitch, no effects loop, no master volume. Just loud.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

My third old style Dimarzio Super II.

I'm thinking about drilling space for it in my Jag HH to make a Jag HHH.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

CandyCain&Abel posted:

hell yes (squier vintage modified 70's jazz bass)

how does this sound/play?

I've always wanted to check out one of these.

ripsnort
Apr 18, 2002
rip. snort.
I am getting back into drumming after a 15 year hiatus, talk about being rusty. Anyway, thanks to Uncle Sam's generosity I was able to get a nice new Gretsch ash kit. Seen below with my son beating them like a true rock star.

I do have a throne, but the chair was easier on my old back setting this kit up. There is another 8" tom that was not mounted when this picture was taken. So far I love it, though I have not had much time alone with them yet. The neighbors are going to love me (luckily we are pretty isolated and I am in the basement).

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

ripsnort posted:

I am getting back into drumming after a 15 year hiatus, talk about being rusty. Anyway, thanks to Uncle Sam's generosity I was able to get a nice new Gretsch ash kit. Seen below with my son beating them like a true rock star.

I do have a throne, but the chair was easier on my old back setting this kit up. There is another 8" tom that was not mounted when this picture was taken. So far I love it, though I have not had much time alone with them yet. The neighbors are going to love me (luckily we are pretty isolated and I am in the basement).

Those are some seriously slanted toms.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Handen posted:

I'm thinking about drilling space for it in my Jag HH to make a Jag HHH.
Jesus. Are the old super IIs you already had in the jag HH? I think my head would explode if I heard three super IIs at once. So much treble...

ripsnort
Apr 18, 2002
rip. snort.

penneydude posted:

Those are some seriously slanted toms.

Only temporary so my son could bang away on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

qball posted:

Bridging to different inputs will give you different results, I'm not sure I haven't played with one that much.

One channel is dirtier than the other, and each channel has a "bright" and "normal" inputs - the bright is quieter so you crank it more to get more grump in the tone. So then, you blend a clean normal and grumpy dirty channel and bammo, you've got something like Jimmy Page's tone - notice how it's clean and dirty at the same time?

But again - you gotta get them up there a bit to get "there" with the tone.

or sure, a hot plate or attenuator or put the cab in the trunk of a car a mile away. But what's the point then.