Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, I still can't find the usb cable for my wife's camera, but I nabbed a Peavey Windsor head for $180 new from the local Guitar Center on ultra clearance. And it sounds great, by the way - sort of like a cross between the JCM 800 and JCM 900, but with a Peavey flavor to it that I quite like. With my Solid Metal in front kicking it in the nuts, it absolutely screams - not exactly like a heavily boosted JCM800, but in that same territory but with more razor-cut to it and not QUITE as British a flavor. Definitely the best deal I've ever got on a new head. Peavey's 5-year warranty on it doesn't hurt either.

I'm thinking I'll sell my Randall half stack because I like the Peavey Windsor's (boosted) high gain dirt better than the Randall's (boosted) high gain dirt, and I like the THD Univalve's cleans and mid-crunch sounds better than the Randall's as well. I didn't think I'd see the day when I stepped out of the solid state amp arena, but it might be here. I just don't need that amp anymore.

I might not lose my rear end on it either since I got a good deal on it new and the company has since raised the price $100. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

I didn't think I'd see the day when I stepped out of the solid state amp arena, but it might be here.
poo poo, I didn't think I'd see the day you'd buy two tube amps one after another. That's a stupidly great deal on that head though, sounds nice from the description and I love Peavey heads - have a Valveking myself.

Powerglove
Aug 4, 2003

:lol: Agreed you just can't help yourself with buying gear can you, you've got to stay out of music stores!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

poo poo, I didn't think I'd see the day you'd buy two tube amps one after another. That's a stupidly great deal on that head though, sounds nice from the description and I love Peavey heads - have a Valveking myself.

Yeah, I really dig Peavey too. Their SS stuff is solid gold this generation (XXL), though I don't see them making any more since they can put out kick rear end tube amps at these prices now and the XXL costs over $600.

As I've said all along, tone is the end in itself to me. Gear of any variety is the means to an end. For a long time, I was getting good results with SS gear. Lately, from the bottom to the top I've been more and more into tube stuff. That has been partly from an expansion of my disposable income lately, but also because I've had a change of direction in my own music making which seems to be less well accomodated by SS gear in my pricerange (though there's a $1400 SS head I've been drooling over for some time now.

I am not at the end by any means, but I've got a clear idea of how I want to sound "now" that is well met by my current setup and which, I think, largely deprecates the Randall half stack.

Powerglove posted:

:lol: Agreed you just can't help yourself with buying gear can you, you've got to stay out of music stores!

I'm just glad I have a very understanding lady. Although she is encouraging me to sell the Randall since we're going to need the space :)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

How well does the valveking do at practice volumes? I ask because I'm in the market for a new amp, and the valveking looks cool, but I'm wondering if a 100 watt amp is going to be way too loud. Obviously, I'll try anything out before buying, but just curious if you have any sort of person review/experience to share.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

bisticles posted:

How well does the valveking do at practice volumes?
Especially cause you sound like you haven't yet had your chance to try one yet, let me be sure to say this delicately. 100W tube heads are really, really, really loving loud. With my lead channel gain on 4/10 and the master around 5, sitting on the couch across the room your seat is noticably vibrating along with the sound.

That said, the Valveking actually sounds great at low volumes because it's largely a preamp monster. You're getting distortion and most of your, uh, I guess "tone shaping" from the preamp, so turning down the master doesn't really wreck your poo poo like it would on some amps. Be aware though that since you have a lot of headroom on hand, if you want to play at parents/kids-watching-tv-upstairs volume you're gonna be carefully balancing the master volume between 0 and 1. Nobody who isn't wasted off their rear end will be sleeping in the house if you have the volume all the way up to 1.

I personally use my valveking to practice even in the middle of the night, I just deal with carefully turning the volume way way down. It doesn't sound as good as it should like that but it still sounds good. Try one out yourself and see what you think, just take note of the size of the room you're playing it and the material on the walls.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

Especially cause you sound like you haven't yet had your chance to try one yet, let me be sure to say this delicately. 100W tube heads are really, really, really loving loud.

Hell, that 15W THD Univalve I got is really, really, really loving loud. If it didn't have a Hot Plate built in I'd never be able to use it above 1/5th volume without going deaf.

I know the Windsor, which is also a master volume amp which supposedly has a power section pretty similar to the Valve King, can do well at any volume but requires a VERY careful turn of the knob to get it down low, since just a bump more is really, really loud (and it just goes really, really louder from there).

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
gently caress YEAH! Talk about a score! I just grabbed this 1999 Teese RMC3 Wah for $200 on the 'bay. I was ready to shell out about twice that much.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

valve king stuff

Thanks, good info. I've got a 40 watt Rivera Chubster right now that's plenty loud, although there's a lot of room to play with between the volume and master knobs. I'm just kind of hankering for something... bigger... right now.

I am the milkman
Oct 25, 2005
my milk is delicious

pennywisdom posted:

I just pieced my project guitar back together, but now I'm thinking some red spraypaint on the pickup covers and headstock is in order. The book idea was blatantly stolen from Spiral, so I can't take credit for that.

Got any links or pointers on how to do that book thingy?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Today I bought one pedal and WON another one! I can't wait to try them both out.

The one I won was a Devi Ever Hyperion from his monthly giveaways! It looks exactly like this, only in an olive green...

... and it sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rXwv0Rnjg

I also purchased a Catalinbread Hyper Pak Dirty Channel this morning on eBay...

... which sounds like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iemlEecQvYY

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

Today I bought one pedal and WON another one! I can't wait to try them both out.

The one I won was a Devi Ever Hyperion from his monthly giveaways! It looks exactly like this, only in an olive green...

... and it sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rXwv0Rnjg

I also purchased a Catalinbread Hyper Pak Dirty Channel this morning on eBay...

... which sounds like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iemlEecQvYY

I dig both of those, and immediately went to the Devi Ever website to price check, only to find they're another boutique manufacturer who doesn't sell online! :argh:

Edit: Okay I found their web store, and found this:

It's a dual 100kohm pot joystick thing for circuit bending. What are some possible uses for something like this?

Edit: Just when I thought I had poo poo figured out, I find out about Devi Ever. Thanks a lot, Susano-Maku Da!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 2, 2008

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
Edit: ^That is fantastic.

Some Cream Harmonic Design Z-90s for my thinline tele. Basically P-94s with a cult following.

Course, I'll still have to wait a week or two to install them... Anyone ever jimmy-rigged a mount before?

Los Padre fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 2, 2008

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

ripsnort posted:

Only temporary so my son could bang away on them.

Oh ok, fair enough. You are excused.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Handen posted:

Edit: Okay I found their web store, and found this:

[picture]

It's a dual 100kohm pot joystick thing for circuit bending.

oh poo poo! I want to make some sort of oscillator pedal now and use this thing to control the frequency and amplitude of the wave or some poo poo if that's even possible

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

cylyk posted:

oh poo poo! I want to make some sort of oscillator pedal now and use this thing to control the frequency and amplitude of the wave or some poo poo if that's even possible

I've always wanted a foot controlled joystick control for a sort of mini quadrophonic stage show, whereby the centre detent spreads the sound source to all four speakers equally and any movement re-allocates the location of the sound in a way represented by wherever the stick is positioned...

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 2, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Should arrive next week.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Handen posted:

Edit: Just when I thought I had poo poo figured out, I find out about Devi Ever. Thanks a lot, Susano-Maku Da!

Yeah Devi's an awesome chick. All the pedals are essentially made by herself, yet she posts everywhere and is very approachable (in fact, I half remember her being on SA, but that can't be the case because she would have posted in ML by now). Her pedals are being used by some big names now like Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine, Nels Cline of Wilco, and The Hives.

She's also the one who made the infamous Bit Mangler, otherwise known as "The Legend of Fuzz" which is not only awesome looking, but awesome sounding (and used by Nine Inch Nails):

http://www.deviever.com/fx/bit/index.html

EDIT: Fixed for gender reassignment issues and blah b-blah blah blah

Susano-maku da! fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 2, 2008

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006
I am now the proud owner of an Ebony Gibson Explorer, all stock nothing special (except that it sounds incredible through my mesa). but the point of my post is really the next piece of gear i wish to acquire.

A Gibson SG-X.

If anyone knows where i can get an Army Green SG-X in good condition in a couple weeks im going to buy one with my tax return.

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

Susano-maku da! posted:

Devi != dude

Every time we called devi a dude on harmony central she used to throw a little hissy fit about it and dragged the whole gender reassignment thing at us like crazy. Just something to keep in mind next time you ever talk to her.

Anywhoo, this is my newest gear purchase, straight from Finland.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

juan chaos posted:

Every time we called devi a dude on harmony central she used to throw a little hissy fit about it and dragged the whole gender reassignment thing at us like crazy. Just something to keep in mind next time you ever talk to her.

I would make a snarky remark, but then look how ambiguous my name is.

What the hell kind of pedal is that and what does it sound like?

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

Susano-maku da! posted:

I would make a snarky remark, but then look how ambiguous my name is.

What the hell kind of pedal is that and what does it sound like?

It's a BJF Honey Bee. It's supposed to sound like an old Supro amp being cranked but it sounds a lot like a really goosed up tweed amp. The nature knob boosts the lower-mids to the upper-mids so it sounds absolutely insane and cutting through a cranked amp. Pretty expensive poo poo but I've never enjoyed a pedal more. Stacks up really well with my Cochrane Timmy.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Col.Kiwi posted:

Especially cause you sound like you haven't yet had your chance to try one yet, let me be sure to say this delicately. 100W tube heads are really, really, really loving loud.

100% true.

I actually got to use mine for practice, the first time I've been able to get it past 1. I had it loud enough that it was over the drums and shaking the entire room, I went to go cut it up just a little bit and notice that the volume was on 2. I could have sworn it was up to at least 4 but no, loving TWO. And that was without the volume boost button that, god knows why, they put in there!

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Pirateparty posted:

And that was without the volume boost button that, god knows why, they put in there!
Haha yeah, I think that's just so that you can footswitch a volume boost for solos and the like.

I personally am a little suspicious the Valveking (you have one too don't you?) has a linear pot for it's master volume, as I swear turning it from 3 to 5 is way less ridiculous than turning it from 0 to 2 or 1 to 3. I think at that point it might just be that it's so loud it's hard to judge, though, who knows. I'm afraid to look into it because if the master is a linear pot I'm gonna be tempted as poo poo to to try and replace it with an audio taper pot and ruin my 5 year warranty.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I am the milkman posted:

Got any links or pointers on how to do that book thingy?

No links or anything, I just coated the body in this podge stuff, tossed the book on, coated it with some more podge, then sprayed about 7 layers of clearcoat on it.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.
Looking to buy this beauty to start gigging:

A Marshall MB4410

However, it seems to be out of stock everywhere as soon as I've gotten the £350 together to buy one. The only places still stocking them sell for upwards of £450, well over of my budget. Is there any particular reason for their unavailability? Awful product or just an unlucky buyer?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Handen posted:

gently caress YEAH! Talk about a score! I just grabbed this 1999 Teese RMC3 Wah for $200 on the 'bay. I was ready to shell out about twice that much.

You bastard.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Col.Kiwi posted:

I personally am a little suspicious the Valveking (you have one too don't you?)

Yep!

And you're right, the jump from 0-2 is going from off to OH loving CHRIST MY EARS. After that its pretty smooth though, its just really touchy to find a good house-appropriate volume. Peavey's customer service is amazing, I had a bad preamp tube and he sent me 3 for free!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

I just realized you can get US made Gibson SGs and Les Pauls on eBay for ~£300.

Next purchase ahoy! Not sure which one to get though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Pirateparty posted:

Yep!

And you're right, the jump from 0-2 is going from off to OH loving CHRIST MY EARS. After that its pretty smooth though, its just really touchy to find a good house-appropriate volume. Peavey's customer service is amazing, I had a bad preamp tube and he sent me 3 for free!

I have Peavey Parts Direct in my phone - 601-486-1128 - and you're right, they're amazing. Really takes customer service to a new level. They stock parts for amps they haven't made in 15+ years. It's one of the reasons I'm not afraid to buy a used Peavey, like a Butcher or 5150, if a good deal comes up - warranty or not, you can fix 'em and Peavey will help.

I also have their customer service line - 601-483-5365 - and once again they're industry-leading in my opinion.

Good numbers to keep around if you have older Peavey products, or to know in a pinch if something should happen to a newer one.

I'm still amazed that they've got a pretty comprehensive 5-year warranty on the Windsor. It's a Chinese head that, outside of clearance ultra-deals, costs a relatively low $400, so you'd think there would be corners cut somewhere, but they put a 5-year warranty behind it, and they've got authorized repair centers everywhere should something go wrong that you can't fix yourself.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

kenthebear posted:

I just realized you can get US made Gibson SGs and Les Pauls on eBay for ~£300.

Next purchase ahoy! Not sure which one to get though.

Are you talking about LP/SG standards, or the "faded special" SGs and such?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

Are you talking about LP/SG standards, or the "faded special" SGs and such?

As in, proper LP/SGs, but they appear to have sold while I slept. How saddening.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I've been playing on African and Middle-eastern drums a lot lately and decided that I need two to use with my drum kit. I've settled on a small djembe that I will sling over my left side (and push it to my back when I don't use it) and a large Cajon drum which I will sit on instead of using a throne (with the playing surface on the left side). This set up will allow me to use my left hand on either ethnic instrument at all times, I can also use the djembe with both hands while still using my pedals with my feet. I can play the Cajon with both hands if I don't use any pedals. I was inspired by an Australian drummer (that one of my students introduced me to) named Jono Callow...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VF_Hw8l01LI

He doesn't use a Cajon but does use a darbuka (where I will put my djembe).

Here are some pictures:

Small djembe:

Cajon drum:

Here is an example of cajon drum playing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WBQkxS9VYEo

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Just bought a Gretsch Anniversary for $800 with a hard case.

Seems to be pretty polarizing. People aren't really neutral to the color, they either love it (me) or hate it (most people). The advantage to the unpopular color is that it makes 'em cheap to pick off on eBay!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

Seems to be pretty polarizing. People aren't really neutral to the color, they either love it (me) or hate it (most people). The advantage to the unpopular color is that it makes 'em cheap to pick off on eBay!

I'm pretty neutral to it, though I'd rather see it with a black pickguard.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

3toes posted:

I'm pretty neutral to it, though I'd rather see it with a black pickguard.
That'd probably look good, but the back, sides, and neck are the same color as the pickguard, so it kinda holds it together.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

That'd probably look good, but the back, sides, and neck are the same color as the pickguard, so it kinda holds it together.

Oh really? Hm, yeah I'm just now noticing that in your first picture. Not my cup of tea but I love the sound of an overdriven Gretsch.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh hey! I saw that thing get posted in the Harmony Central deals thread. The poster thought it was surprising no one got it. Great deal, there, that's a ridiculously good price.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Susano-maku da! posted:

Oh hey! I saw that thing get posted in the Harmony Central deals thread. The poster thought it was surprising no one got it. Great deal, there, that's a ridiculously good price.
I only found the auction JUST (as in, less than 30 seconds) before it ended, so I immediately emailed the seller and offered him $800 shipped for it, which is about what I'd have paid if I'd bid on it, but lower than the BIN price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Avd1Thng posted:

Cajon Plans

The drummer in my band just brought one of those (same brand, too) to practice one day and never used his set again. They're really amazing instruments, and provide a great unique but subtle sound. He plays anything from folk ballads to Skeeter Davis on it. <He also did all our demos with it ( https://www.markutley.com ), if you're intrigued.>

Carbohydrates posted:

Seems to be pretty polarizing.

Man, that's a beautiful guitar and it's a steal. Every once and a while a well meaning individual will ask you if you like Brian Setzer, just tell him you prefer Malmsteen and he won't bother you again.