Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Los Padre posted:

The drummer in my band just brought one of those...
Yea, very cool instrument to have. To go along with my ethnic instrument choices I'm going to get a Kalimba (or African finger piano) because it is such a relaxing instrument to feature and the hardest thing I'm going to learn is the Didgeridoo. I've decided to get a cheap beginner's Didge and just try it out. I'm practicing circular breathing right now and it is very fun to try. All you do is store air in your cheeks and when you inhale with your nose you squeeze your cheeks and force the air out and then refill them when you have finished inhaling. I really doubt I'll use the Didge much behind the kit but everything else will be used quite a bit as I try to expand my drumming. Anyone have some cool ethnic percussion recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

My hotrod deville has been nothing less than a pain in the rear end since I bought it. I noticed that I cannot get a clean sound out of it now, there is always a hint of overdriver. Any guesses on what it could be?

And yes, its on the right channel.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Bought a Roland MC-909 off EBay

Next we plan to buy a Juno and a TB-303.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Carbohydrates posted:

Just bought a Gretsch Anniversary for $800 with a hard case.

Seems to be pretty polarizing. People aren't really neutral to the color, they either love it (me) or hate it (most people). The advantage to the unpopular color is that it makes 'em cheap to pick off on eBay!

That thing is gorgeous, and I'll kill any man who says different :argh:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

New Found Power posted:

That thing is gorgeous, and I'll kill any man who says different :argh:

Definitely agreeing on this point. I love that color, and Gretsch guitars are just beautiful. Really good players, too, especially once you get into the $1000+ guitars.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ZHamburglar posted:

Next we plan to buy a Juno and a TB-303.

Instead of the TB-303, get the better and bigger Futureretro Revolution. You won't pay through the nose for an original beaten up piece of plastic with small knobs, and you won't have to solder anything yourself like with the x0xb0x.

Which Juno? 6, 60, 106, Alpha 1/2, D or G? :v: If it's the 60, get yourself a DCB-MIDI interface. The Juno's even more fun if you can sync it to anything.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

pennywisdom posted:

I noticed that I cannot get a clean sound out of it now, there is always a hint of overdriver. Any guesses on what it could be?
It's a Hot Rod DeVille. :unsmith:

Really, it's just a loud goddamned amp. You could try replacing the preamp 12AX7s with 12AY7s, which are a little more tame. They helped my old 85w Bandmaster (as in, I could turn it up to 3 instead of 2 before it caused my retinas to burst).

Agreed posted:

Definitely agreeing on this point. I love that color, and Gretsch guitars are just beautiful. Really good players, too, especially once you get into the $1000+ guitars.
Yes. Yes they are. :dong:

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 4, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

My hotrod deville has been nothing less than a pain in the rear end since I bought it. I noticed that I cannot get a clean sound out of it now, there is always a hint of overdriver. Any guesses on what it could be?

And yes, its on the right channel.

Roll back off of your input volume on your guitar a bit maybe? You might just have some hot pickups. Our guitarist has a DeVille 4x10 and it has the most beautiful clean channel I have ever heard in an amp.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
Is used or new? I know a lot of guitarists that take the factories out to put softer, easier to overdrive tubes. I had to replace mine to get a solid clean channel.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Bought it brand new about 6 months ago. I didn't actually have possession of it until 2 months after I bought it thought due to a faulty foot switch that took forever to fix.

edit : Does anyone have a Hotrod DeVille that they could mic with a decent overdrive sound? I can't seem to find anything I like.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

Bought it brand new about 6 months ago. I didn't actually have possession of it until 2 months after I bought it thought due to a faulty foot switch that took forever to fix.

edit : Does anyone have a Hotrod DeVille that they could mic with a decent overdrive sound? I can't seem to find anything I like.

The nicest sound our guitarist gets out of it (in my opinion) is clean channel w/ a Tube Screamer kicked in. His dirty channel is nice, but a lot of people have called the DeVille's dirty channel too muddy.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I'm going to have to disagree with the love for that gretsch... It'd be fine if the whole back wasn't that green color. I mean, it's a great deal for a great guitar, but drat... that's a lot of olive drab.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

3toes posted:

The nicest sound our guitarist gets out of it (in my opinion) is clean channel w/ a Tube Screamer kicked in. His dirty channel is nice, but a lot of people have called the DeVille's dirty channel too muddy.

Yeah, thats exactly how I find it. I was going to buy a ts808, but I keep buying distortion/overdrive pedals and keep being disappointed, so I want to try it out on my amp first.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ZombiePeanut posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with the love for that gretsch... It'd be fine if the whole back wasn't that green color. I mean, it's a great deal for a great guitar, but drat... that's a lot of olive drab.
It's not OD, it's metallic - very close to Fender's Sherwood Green.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

Yeah, thats exactly how I find it. I was going to buy a ts808, but I keep buying distortion/overdrive pedals and keep being disappointed, so I want to try it out on my amp first.

well the thing about any incarnation of the Tube Screamers is that if you don't like it, you can always find someone who wants a used one. So I say pick out a used one on eBay and then turn around and sell it if you don't like it.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
I just bought a Shin-Ei FY-2 on a total whim, and off ebay no less.

So this, except it looks like it's had its rear end kicked thoroughly by previous owners.

Someone actually decided they'd write about it. http://picksandstrings.blogspot.com/2007/08/shin-ei-companion-fy-2-fuzz.html

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

pennywisdom posted:

I was going to buy a ts808, but I keep buying distortion/overdrive pedals and keep being disappointed, so I want to try it out on my amp first.

I don't have a hotrod deville but I do have a blues deluxe, and I use a boss bluesdriver into it and I really like the sounds I can get out of it.. dunno if you've tried one out yet

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can anybody tell me what sort of old Dimarzio humbucker this is? I missed the auction ending by 5 mins ( :argh: ) and it only went for $31, so if it pops up next time I'd like a little more info than just "Dimarzio HB w/ sun logo"

Also, I just won the following tone capacitors for my Reverse V, Jag, Jag HH and Squier '51 tone projects!

Sprague Black Beauty and Bumblebee caps. The values are as follows:

2x.047 Black Beauty

2x.033 Black Beauty

2x.016 Bumblebee

2x.012 Bumblebee

...and...

2x Vintage NOS Sprague Vitamin Q Capacitors .022mF@200V

Just in time for my new soldering gun to arrive. A Hakko 936!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Handen posted:

Can anybody tell me what sort of old Dimarzio humbucker this is? I missed the auction ending by 5 mins ( :argh: ) and it only went for $31, so if it pops up next time I'd like a little more info than just "Dimarzio HB w/ sun logo"

Their Rickenbacker neck pickup I think

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
That pickup with the sun is like the Pandora's box of pickups. From that ominous eclipsed sun you know some poo poo is going to go down when you play it.

Teh Bong
Feb 22, 2006
i am dancing like a munky?
Finally got my gear in, it was pimpin having everything come in on the same day.

Purchase: (2) Technics 1200mk2 Turntables, Denon DN-X100 mixer, Sennheiser HD-280 headphones, Shure M35X cartridges, RoadReady turntable cases, and Sicmats Slipmats. Talk about Christmas in February

All the crap behind my desk is the boxes everything came in. I cleaned it up now and it looks a hell of a lot better.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

vac posted:

I just bought a Shin-Ei FY-2 on a total whim, and off ebay no less.

So this, except it looks like it's had its rear end kicked thoroughly by previous owners.

Someone actually decided they'd write about it. http://picksandstrings.blogspot.com/2007/08/shin-ei-companion-fy-2-fuzz.html

That sounds really nasty, in a good way. How much did you get it for?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Teh Bong posted:

Finally got my gear in, it was pimpin having everything come in on the same day.

Purchase: (2) Technics 1200mk2 Turntables, Denon DN-X100 mixer, Sennheiser HD-280 headphones, Shure M35X cartridges, RoadReady turntable cases, and Sicmats Slipmats. Talk about Christmas in February

All the crap behind my desk is the boxes everything came in. I cleaned it up now and it looks a hell of a lot better.

I thought vinyl was on its way out from the dance scene, is it not? I mean with things like Beatport, Trackitdown and 7digital popping up every day, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in 2x CDJ-400s?
Although, even then, I must say I wouldn't mind having a setup like yours :)

Teh Bong
Feb 22, 2006
i am dancing like a munky?
Well its all who you talk to and personal prefrence. I've always wanted to spin vinyl so I purchased what I wanted. I realize that digital is cheaper,more efficent, and opens up more atristic doors, but I just wanted vinyl,yaknow?? Plus in the future, theres nothing stopping me from adding either some cd decks or Serato Scratch Live and still going digital.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Teh Bong posted:

Well its all who you talk to and personal prefrence. I've always wanted to spin vinyl so I purchased what I wanted. I realize that digital is cheaper,more efficent, and opens up more atristic doors, but I just wanted vinyl,yaknow?? Plus in the future, theres nothing stopping me from adding either some cd decks or Serato Scratch Live and still going digital.

Yeah, definitely! Sounds like a good plan to me.
I guess I'm just worried about my private economy too much to do the same, otherwise I would :D

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Here is my newest purchase, an Ibanez Tone Blaster half stack, along with the rest of my rig.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Susano-maku da! posted:

That sounds really nasty, in a good way. How much did you get it for?

$100. I don't think I've ever anticipated the arrival of a pedal more.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
The difficulty with the hot rod deluxe is that you are going to spend 800 on this amp, then another 200 on pedals.
Once you find the right pedals, it's really golden and sounds great. It has an excellent clean channel too, and it takes almost any pedal really well, even my metal zone, albeit it doesn't sound very metal but i can get it to sound good in a couple of different ways.
I agree with the above poster that you should get a tube screamer. A boss overdrive is good too, if you want distortion a big muff pi sounds pretty cool. Takes a boss blues driver or bad monkey pretty good also.
I have been wanting to try a metal muff.
If you want to try these pedals, take your guitar to guitar center. They should have a hot rod deville or deluxe plugged in at the showroom and you can simply ask an attendant to help you out.
Really the amps overdrive is alright but a bit anemic for anything past hard rock/blues. On the super crunch channel things tend to get muddled together without a lot of eq. I can get it to sound good but it needs a lot of tweaking and i can only get it to sound good one or two ways, so it has kind of a one trick pony thing going on without pedals.
Investing in an EQualizer pedal is wise.

I like my hot rod deville a lot but have decided in the next year i am going to step up to some kind of tube marshall with a 4x12 cab.
A friend of mine tells me "everything marshall makes these days is crap" but honestly, i don't believe him. Almost every time i hear a real marshall i'm impressed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Exploded posted:

I like my hot rod deville a lot but have decided in the next year i am going to step up to some kind of tube marshall with a 4x12 cab.
A friend of mine tells me "everything marshall makes these days is crap" but honestly, i don't believe him. Almost every time i hear a real marshall i'm impressed.

It isn't that current production models are terrible, as such, it's just that their classic stuff sounds absolutely phenomenal and their current products range from downright bad to mediocre to decent. Possible exception the JVM410, which has at least two great channels (Clean and Crunch, which remind me of a not-quite overdriven Plexi's chimey and saturated cleans, and of the excellent JCM800 respectively). I don't care for its high gain channels, kind of ice-picky if you ask me... but some folks really like them.

Some of the DSL heads and combos are nice, too, though the TSL are pretty bad.

Your best bet if you want to get a Marshall is to park it on Ebay and pick up an older one. A JCM800 can be had for as little as half the price of some of their current gen heads, and if you want that well-reputed Marshall hard rock sound, that's what it is.

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
I'm seriously considering an Ibanez RG3EXQM1. It'll be my first (real) guitar, and it's so sexy in gray.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Agreed posted:

Your best bet if you want to get a Marshall is to park it on Ebay and pick up an older one. A JCM800 can be had for as little as half the price of some of their current gen heads, and if you want that well-reputed Marshall hard rock sound, that's what it is.

Ok for the last 2 years I used a Hot Rod Deville 212, with mainly Les Pauls. I never could get the distortion I wanted with my pedals and the hot rod. Great clean though.

I traded it off (with my agile 3000) and now I have a Marshall JCM 2000, TSL 60w head, with a 4x12 Marshall cab.

I still have to use my distortion pedal with it, because it just sounds too metally and gainy for my tastes. I really want a head that can get that real raw G'n'R' type distortion. What head would be good for this ? I was actually thinking about trying out an Orange AD-30HTC head (although I have never heard one). Would a JCM 800 sound alot different than the 2000 ? Once again my main guitars are some gibson les pauls. I'm a marshall newbie.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Ok for the last 2 years I used a Hot Rod Deville 212, with mainly Les Pauls. I never could get the distortion I wanted with my pedals and the hot rod. Great clean though.

I traded it off (with my agile 3000) and now I have a Marshall JCM 2000, TSL 60w head, with a 4x12 Marshall cab.

I still have to use my distortion pedal with it, because it just sounds too metally and gainy for my tastes. I really want a head that can get that real raw G'n'R' type distortion. What head would be good for this ? I was actually thinking about trying out an Orange AD-30HTC head (although I have never heard one). Would a JCM 800 sound alot different than the 2000 ? Once again my main guitars are some gibson les pauls. I'm a marshall newbie.

The JCM800 is pretty much perfect for what you're after. It has less gain and, in my opinion, a better tone than the 2000. CERTAINLY a very different one. It's the quintessential hard rock head, and can be heard on some of your favorite albums from the 1980s. It's been in everything from rock n' roll to alternative to death metal and it does it all, though for the latter two you often see a pedal used with it.

If you don't like the JCM800's crunch, you probably just don't like the characteristic Marshall sound.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Agreed posted:

The JCM800 is pretty much perfect for what you're after. It has less gain and, in my opinion, a better tone than the 2000. CERTAINLY a very different one. It's the quintessential hard rock head, and can be heard on some of your favorite albums from the 1980s. It's been in everything from rock n' roll to alternative to death metal and it does it all, though for the latter two you often see a pedal used with it.

If you don't like the JCM800's crunch, you probably just don't like the characteristic Marshall sound.

gently caress yeah that is what i wanted to hear. The 2000 just has a super-saturated distortion that would be more suited for metal, not the classic hard rock distortion that I was after. Thanks for the help.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Anyone have a Hendrix wah pedal? I just found one on craiglist, but I can't find any decent sound clips online.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE

Agreed posted:

Yeah, i'm definitely getting a jcm800. I gotta have a marshall and i gotta have that particular marshall, too.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

pennywisdom posted:

Anyone have a Hendrix wah pedal? I just found one on craiglist, but I can't find any decent sound clips online.

I had the JH-1 and it sucked, so I sold it.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Handen posted:

I had the JH-1 and it sucked, so I sold it.

Noted.

Happy birthday to me!

A pair of KRK RP5s
M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Behringer Xenyx 1002
Tapco Mix50

Woo hoo!

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Avd1Thng posted:

Anyone have some cool ethnic percussion recommendations?

I think it's an Udu. Joaquim Cooder plays it throughout the Buena Vista Social Club recordings. One of the coolest percussion sounds I've heard. Just check out the first track on Amazon or something and listen for the two consecutive uoumph uoumph bass noises on the fourth beat.

*My phonetics is best.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I finally blew my Christmas money. I got:

- Ruskie Big Muff
- Danelectro Fish'n'Chips EQ
- Crybaby Wah
- New caps for my Gibson Falcon combo
- A couple of mid-70s Bogen PA amps
- A squier mini strat (it was free. v:shobon:v)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Los Padre posted:

I think it's an Udu. Joaquim Cooder plays it throughout the Buena Vista Social Club recordings. One of the coolest percussion sounds I've heard. Just check out the first track on Amazon or something and listen for the two consecutive uoumph uoumph bass noises on the fourth beat.

*My phonetics is best.

yeah it's udu, LP makes some nice ones that are fairly inexpensive. get a glazed one so you can put water in it for more cool sounds!