Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jbiel posted:

You are essentially firewall'd off, twice. Once by them and once by your ISA server.

They are going to route all traffic for the IP(s) they give you to your ISA server, which will then proxy your connections back inbound to your workstations / servers.

Ok, this makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for everyones comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Campbell posted:

I've been advised that I need to get a Cisco 2620 to handle the Ethernet Handoff from our ISP.

If your ISP is handing you ethernet, presumably copper ethernet, simply buy a Cisco 871. They're about $400 from CDW. Sure, you could buy a 2621, which has two ethernet ports, but I wouldn't bother- the 871 is newer, has better code, and is much less noisy.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
The setup this ISP has given me is weird. This router is supposed to route the WAN IP they gave me into a usable IP block on a totally different subnet.

Will the 871 accomplish this so that I can have it sit like this:

Handoff 65.x.x.1 <-> 65.x.x.2 (Cisco 871) 66.x.x.1 <-> 66.x.x.2 (Nat/Firewall) 192.168.x.x

Getting thrown into IT situations totally out of your depth is fun...right?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Campbell posted:

The setup this ISP has given me is weird. This router is supposed to route the WAN IP they gave me into a usable IP block on a totally different subnet.

Will the 871 accomplish this so that I can have it sit like this:

Handoff 65.x.x.1 <-> 65.x.x.2 (Cisco 871) 66.x.x.1 <-> 66.x.x.2 (Nat/Firewall) 192.168.x.x

Getting thrown into IT situations totally out of your depth is fun...right?

What they are going to do is a build a /30 between you and them, and then also route whatever netblock you have down that /30, common practice with some ISPs.

I believe the 871 is setup the same way the 851 I installed at my wifes church. You can only build one routed interface on it and one single vlan interface.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I don't have a question, rather a statement. Upgrading Call Manager is a long and worrisome process and overall a pain in the balls.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

jbiel posted:

What they are going to do is a build a /30 between you and them, and then also route whatever netblock you have down that /30, common practice with some ISPs.

I believe the 871 is setup the same way the 851 I installed at my wifes church. You can only build one routed interface on it and one single vlan interface.

Yep that sounds totally right. So when you setup your 851, did you set it up like in my little chart and have a firewall sitting after the 851 that NAT'd out your usable netblock to whatever internal ports/IP's you wanted?

Also, how difficult is setup on one of these guys?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Campbell posted:

Yep that sounds totally right. So when you setup your 851, did you set it up like in my little chart and have a firewall sitting after the 851 that NAT'd out your usable netblock to whatever internal ports/IP's you wanted?

Also, how difficult is setup on one of these guys?

The 851 I setup, I have doing the ACL/NAT all in one.

Setup can be easy via the SDM.

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005
Wow, VPNs have been a real pain in my butt lately, especially these two issues:

1)When I change the state of my vpnc connection (connecting or disconnecting), any ssh sessions I have running on my laptop (Kubuntu 7.10) completely freeze; the only thing I can do is close the terminal session tab. Anyone had similar experiences?

2)The Cisco SSL VPN client for Linux seems to work fine with Red Hat and OpenSuse 10.3, but if I use Ubuntu Gutsy, it refuses to work. I can connect to the vpn server just fine, but when I try to go ANYWHERE, website, pinging anything, I get nothing; no receiving traffic, no transmit traffic, beyond what it says I sent (typically ~6kB recieved) in the connection stats window.
Again, anyone else have issues with this?

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

I have a pretty simple question in theory but I'm having some real trouble with it. I have a Cisco ASA 5505 running 7.2(1). It's sitting behind a cable router setup in bridge mode. The issue is that I want to run a public server behind the firewall. I have it setup, however the captures show that all of the packets hit the firewall then drop like they have nowhere to go. They are not dropping due to the acl so I was thinking the NAT but I have a specific NAT tied to the external IP address back into my internal server IP address. I mean this isn't a difficult task at all... in fact it's the most basic and simple of tasks but it just will not work.

Now my hunch is that there may be some issue with only having an outside interface ip pool of 1 for static NATing?

<Cloud> -> Cable Bridge -> DHCP Outside interface -> NAT to internal IP / ACL allow -> Inside interface -> Server/Switch

I mean I've watched the packets and the logs on the firewall and it points me straight at a NAT issue everytime but nothing else has a problem transversing the interfaces except for these inbound connections.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Have you tried running packet tracer to see what rule (or lack thereof) it points to as the problem?

You're going to need a NAT rule, _and_ an incoming access rule on the Outside interface.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

reborn posted:

I have a pretty simple question in theory but I'm having some real trouble with it. I have a Cisco ASA 5505 running 7.2(1). It's sitting behind a cable router setup in bridge mode. The issue is that I want to run a public server behind the firewall. I have it setup, however the captures show that all of the packets hit the firewall then drop like they have nowhere to go. They are not dropping due to the acl so I was thinking the NAT but I have a specific NAT tied to the external IP address back into my internal server IP address. I mean this isn't a difficult task at all... in fact it's the most basic and simple of tasks but it just will not work.

Now my hunch is that there may be some issue with only having an outside interface ip pool of 1 for static NATing?

<Cloud> -> Cable Bridge -> DHCP Outside interface -> NAT to internal IP / ACL allow -> Inside interface -> Server/Switch

I mean I've watched the packets and the logs on the firewall and it points me straight at a NAT issue everytime but nothing else has a problem transversing the interfaces except for these inbound connections.

You are going to have to allow the port(s) you are NAT'ing to the outside interface acl. I am not sure where your acl is just yet.
code:
access-list 101 permit tcp any <outside_interface> eq 80
Post your config sans public info and I am sure we can get you going.

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Herv posted:

You are going to have to allow the port(s) you are NAT'ing to the outside interface acl. I am not sure where your acl is just yet.
code:
access-list 101 permit tcp any <outside_interface> eq 80
Post your config sans public info and I am sure we can get you going.

code:
interface Vlan1
 nameif inside
 security-level 100
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 
!
interface Vlan2
 nameif outside
 security-level 0
 ip address dhcp setroute 
!

interface Vlan3
 shutdown
 no forward interface Vlan2
 nameif dmz
 security-level 50
 ip address 172.28.120.1 255.255.255.0 
!
same-security-traffic permit inter-interface
same-security-traffic permit intra-interface
object-group service Web_Access tcp
 description Web Access Traffic
 port-object eq ftp-data
 port-object eq ftp
 port-object eq https
 port-object eq www
object-group service WorldofWarcraft-Server tcp
 description WoW connection and Blizzard Downloader
 port-object range 3724 3724
object-group service Battlenet tcp-udp
 description Allow Battle.net Access
 port-object range 6112 6119
object-group service uTorrent tcp
 description uTorrent
 port-object range 45984 45984

object-group service Pop3_Email tcp
 description Email Access
 port-object range 995 995
 port-object range 465 465
object-group service Trillian tcp
 description Trillian Access - AOL, MSN, Gtalk
 port-object range 1863 1863
 port-object eq aol
 port-object range 5222 5222
 port-object range 3158 3158
 port-object range aol aol
object-group service Eve-Online tcp
 description Eve-Online
 port-object range 26000 26000
object-group network Reborn-toxic
 network-object host Reborn-Inside
object-group service Ventrilo-UDP-TCP tcp-udp
 port-object range 10262 10262
 port-object range 3784 3784
 port-object range 6100 6100
 port-object range 5135 5135
object-group service Steam-TCP tcp
 port-object range 27015 27050
object-group service Steam-UDP udp

port-object range 27000 27020
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow web traffic for inside interface.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Web_Access 
access-list inside_access_in remark DNS server updates
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 64.81.45.2 eq domain 
access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 64.81.45.2 eq domain 
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 66.92.64.2 eq domain 
access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 eq domain host 66.92.64.2 eq domain 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow Trillian Access
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Trillian 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow access to Reborn's Ventrilo server.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Ventrilo-UDP-TCP 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow access to Reborn's Ventrilo server.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Ventrilo-UDP-TCP 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow World of Warcraft server access.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group WorldofWarcraft-Server 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow Battle.net hosting and server access.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Battlenet 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow Battle.net servers
access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Battlenet 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow uTorrent Uploads/Downloads

access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group uTorrent inactive 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow Pop3 connections.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Pop3_Email 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow SMTP access.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any eq smtp 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow RDP.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any eq 3389 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow Eve-Online connections.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Eve-Online 
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp any any object-group Battlenet 
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Steam-TCP 
access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 any object-group Steam-UDP 
access-list inside_access_in remark Allow all connections to Draw.
access-list inside_access_in extended permit tcp any any inactive 
access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp any any inactive 
access-list dmz_cryptomap extended permit ip any 172.28.101.0 255.255.255.128 
access-list outside_access_in extended permit icmp any any time-exceeded inactive 
access-list outside_access_in extended permit icmp any any unreachable inactive 
access-list outside_access_in extended permit icmp any any echo-reply inactive 
access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp any host Reborn-Outside object-group Battlenet 
access-list outside_access_in extended permit udp any host Reborn-Outside object-group Battlenet 
access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp any any eq 8898 inactive 
access-list inside_access_out extended permit tcp any any 
access-list inside_access_out extended permit udp any any 

pager lines 24
logging enable
logging asdm critical
mtu inside 1500
mtu outside 1500
mtu dmz 1500
ip local pool vpn-pool 172.28.120.50-172.28.120.100 mask 255.255.255.0
icmp permit any inside
icmp permit any outside
asdm image disk0:/asdm-521.bin
no asdm history enable
arp timeout 14400
nat-control
global (inside) 2 interface
global (outside) 1 interface
static (inside,outside) {Outside interface here} 192.168.1.29 netmask 255.255.255.255 
access-group inside_access_in in interface inside
access-group inside_access_out out interface inside
access-group outside_access_in in interface outside
timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 icmp 0:00:02
timeout sunrpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 h225 1:00:00 mgcp 0:05:00 mgcp-pat 0:05:00
timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00 sip-invite 0:03:00 sip-disconnect 0:02:00
timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute

I replaced some of the interfaces and ports with group names. Also sorry I'm not familiar enough to set it up entirely through a ssh or terminal so it's mostly setup through the ASDM.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
OK the one x factor is I don't use these things in Bridged mode, just Routed. I was assuming that traffic was working outbound, and that inbound port forwarding wasn't. Looking at the config, I am surprised it is working at all, but this may be due to 'bridged mode'.

Having said that (could all be wrong based on that one fact) looking at the config you are NAT'ing the entire outside interface to the 192.168.1.29 host. Normally on single IP interfaces you would do a static tcp map.
code:
static (inside,outside) tcp interface 6060 192.168.1.29 6060 netmask 255.255.255.255
NAT'ing the port is one step, but you have to let it through the ACL properly.

code:
access-list outside_access_in permit tcp any <outside interface> eq 6060
What IP address is Reborn-Outside? Try to replace that with <outside interface>

I don't see a NAT 1 statement to correspond with your GLOBAL 1. poo poo, not sure if that is due to bridged, but there should be a

code:
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
in there at the very least.

The Global 2 is another weird one, but we can leave that alone for now.

I never use outbound access lists, but I am not sure your about your local living arrangements and such.

Hope this helps a bit.

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Ignore the router being in bridged mode. Look at it this way. When I take the firewall out of the picture there are no issues. With the firewall in I have trouble but the packets are getting to the firewall. The blanket NAT really is just to cover my bases. I was beating my head against the wall so hard with this that I decided to take out all the random problems that could come up. I've tried a blanket ACL for all ports, I've tried the blanket NAT, and I've tried just about everything. I'll try adding a NAT 1 statement and narrowing my port NAT to the ports I need.

reborn fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 7, 2008

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

reborn posted:

Ignore the router being in bridged mode. Look at it this way. When I take the firewall out of the picture there are no issues. With the firewall in I have trouble but the packets are getting to the firewall. The blanket NAT really is just to cover my bases. I was beating my head against the wall so hard with this that I decided to take out all the random problems that could come up. I've tried a blanket ACL for all ports, I've tried the blanket NAT, and I've tried just about everything. I'll try adding a NAT 1 statement and narrowing my port NAT to the ports I need.

Oh, router in bridged mode. Once again, I misunderstood. The PIX/ASA can operate as a router or bridge, hehe. But let's keep it simple and not talk about bridging firewalls, they are too loving weird. :)

Ok in a nutshell:

NAT 1 statement will allow OUTBOUND connetions, and it latches onto its corresponding GLOBAL 1 statement. This means that NAT 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0 will allow ANY ip address behind the firewall to make an outbound connection, using the outside interfaces IP address.

Your 'blanket' NAT will actually break things if you only have one public ip address. Bottom line, you do not want to forward all 65535 TCP, UDP, and ALL IP PROTOCOLS from your ASA's outside interface to the inside PC. The ASA actually needs to receive some traffic, not forward it ALL to the inside PC. Hope this is becoming more clear.

Having said that, do you see how weird your GLOBAL 2 is just sitting there, with no corresponding NAT statement. In fact, delete that poo poo.

Take out the NAT statement you have, put in a nat 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 for the simplest version of that line.

You should immediately be able to surf the web, if not blocked by ACL's.

Now for inbound connections, make the TCP nat statements as needed. On both interfaces (just for troubleshooting) put PERMIT IP ANY ANY at the top of the ACL, use the GUI for this.

Once you know you can pass traffic put an ACL on the outside interface, BUT keep in mind it doesn't matter if you are NAT'ing a single IP address. If the port isn't NAT'd its not going through.

With wide open ACL's you are just left with NAT to govern the network traffic which is where your stick in the spokes is.

This advice is now guaranteed(tm) seeing how your router is bridged and the firewall is in 'routed' mode.

Just forget anything I said about a bridging firewall, they are just too fugggin wierd and I was going to ask you what the gently caress you were doing with a bridging firewall on a home network, but nevermind that. :)

Hope this get's yer ASA going, and if all else fails wipe it and use the setup wizard!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I've got a 2801 router with a VWIC-2MFT-T1, two WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 cards, and a WIC-1ADSL card in it. For some reason it won't let me configure the t1 controller on the vwic. Every time I try to assign the timeslots it gives me this error:

code:
router#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
router(config)#controller T1 0/0/0           
router(config-controller)#channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24
%Insufficient resources to create channel group
How the hell do I get this thing working? :mad:

code:
        VIC Slot 0:
        FRU Part Number     VWIC-2MFT-T1=     

WIC/VIC/HWIC Slot 1:
        Product (FRU) Number     : WIC-1DSU-T1-V2      

WIC/VIC Slot 2:

WIC/VIC/HWIC Slot 3:
        Product (FRU) Number     : WIC-1ADSL=

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Dumb question, but are all of those interface cards being used? What's the memory usage on the router look like?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

InferiorWang posted:

Dumb question, but are all of those interface cards being used? What's the memory usage on the router look like?

It's a 2801 with a stupid amount of ram for what we're doing (simple MLPPP + ADSL backup)

code:
router>show mem
                Head    Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b)  Largest(b)
Processor   657BBDC0   272908864    20128936   252779928   249120584   248709324
      I/O   F5C00000    37748736     4474124    33274612    33063552    33084252

router>show ver
Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(11)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
System image file is "flash:c2801-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T.bin"

Cisco 2801 (revision 5.0) with 356352K/36864K bytes of memory.
2 FastEthernet interfaces
2 Serial interfaces
1 ATM interface
2 Channelized T1/PRI ports
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
WIC T1-DSU
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
125952K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Midnj
Jul 27, 2002
JUST GET A FREAKIN MAC DURRRRRR

CrazyLittle posted:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1721/software/feature/guide/t1e11721.html#wp144665

quote:

Note When NMSI mode is configured, the controller will support only one channel-group. If you try to configure more than one channel-group, the following error message will occur:

router(config-controller)#channel-group 2
timeslots 3

%Channel-group already created.

%Only 1 channel-group can be configured with
independent clocking.

how's your clocking? post your config...

network-clock-participate ?
network-clock-select ?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Midnj posted:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1721/software/feature/guide/t1e11721.html#wp144665

how's your clocking? post your config...

network-clock-participate ?
network-clock-select ?

There are zero channel-groups created so far, so the link you posted isn't it. Also that's for a 1700 series router. The router I'm working on is a 2801.

quote:

no aaa new-model
clock timezone PDT -8
clock summer-time PDT recurring 2 Sun Mar 2:00 1 Sun Nov 2:00
no network-clock-participate wic 0
ip cef
!
!
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
!
voice-card 0
!
!
!
controller T1 0/0/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
!
controller T1 0/0/1
framing esf
linecode b8zs
!
!
!
!
interface Multilink1
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
load-interval 30
fair-queue 64 16 256
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
speed 100
full-duplex
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/1/0
bandwidth 1500
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
load-interval 30
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/2/0
bandwidth 1500
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
load-interval 30
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface ATM0/3/0
no ip address
shutdown
no atm ilmi-keepalive
dsl operating-mode auto
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Multi1
!
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
disable-eadi
!
!
control-plane
!
!
!
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
login local
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login local
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
end

Kreg
Sep 2, 2006

jwh posted:

If your ISP is handing you ethernet, presumably copper ethernet, simply buy a Cisco 871. They're about $400 from CDW. Sure, you could buy a 2621, which has two ethernet ports, but I wouldn't bother- the 871 is newer, has better code, and is much less noisy.
Similar Question.

I am supposed to upgrade a customer to a metro ethernet connection to their remote sites and I'm not sure if the hardware/IOS can support it or not. They currently have 2611 routers running IOS 12.0 (28) in each of 7 sites. Each router currently has 1 ethernet LAN port which is connected to the interior. Will this setup support an ethernet WIC?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Kreg posted:

Each router currently has 1 ethernet LAN port which is connected to the interior. Will this setup support an ethernet WIC?

The only WIC ethernet module I know of is the WIC-4ESW (a 4-port ethernet switch, wich can do at least some kind of routing), but that would require an IOS upgrade to work. There is the WIC-1ENET 10Mbit one, but I don't think it works in the 2600.
Is the NM slot available? If so, get a NM-1FE or NM-2FE2W or something. Can usually be found pretty cheap.

I need to do some NAT stuff, and while I could easily have pulled it off on a big firewall, what I have to work with is a 2801 router and my IOS-fu is rather weak when it comes to NAT. Here is my artistic rendition of the situation:

Fa0/0 = 192.168.10.17/24 (an internal transit network, where there are more routers with various nets)
Fa0/1 = 10.161.17.1/25 (client network, private IP range assigned by partner company)
Vlan93 = 10.161.7.3/29 (small handover network to some VPN gateway, which is not under my control). The interface itself is a SVI on a WIC-4ESW, shouldn't matter too much I hope.

We have a bunch of clients on a network assigned to us by a partner company (which then leads on to a client, and that's the only network allowed in through their firewalls). I need to access a few of their systems from other parts of our internal network, and therefore need to NAT things to have it allowed in.

Some parts of the traffic coming in on Fa0/0 to certain destinations (as specified/allowed by an access list) need to be NAT:ed, and the NAT source needs to be an address inside 10.161.17.0/25. I can steal a small subnet for this. There is another access list already for specifying what stuff between the 10.161.17.0/25 net and the external company is allowed. Traffic between the 10.161.17.0/25 and the rest of the internal network and to some other attached stuff is not to be NAT:ed, only traffic to a few specified destinations (those at the external company).

I guess I should specify a loopback interface with the NAT source address, and some clever access list trickery to specify what is allowed through and NAT:ed, but I'm not sure how it all fits together, or even if it is at all possible. Is it?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

CrazyLittle posted:

I've got a 2801 router with a VWIC-2MFT-T1, two WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 cards, and a WIC-1ADSL card in it. For some reason it won't let me configure the t1 controller on the vwic. Every time I try to assign the timeslots it gives me this error:

code:
router#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
router(config)#controller T1 0/0/0           
router(config-controller)#channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

code:
        VIC Slot 0:
        FRU Part Number     VWIC-2MFT-T1=     

WIC/VIC/HWIC Slot 1:

WIC/VIC Slot 2:

WIC/VIC/HWIC Slot 3:
        Product (FRU) Number     : WIC-1ADSL=

You can't use Slot0 for non-voice cards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2800/hardware/installation/guide/01_hw.html#wp1095473

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

aaaaah gently caress. I had a funny feeling it was this. thanks!

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
What can cause a router to not see any CDP neighbors (and not show up on other routers)?

I have a 2801 router, which simply doesn't see anyone else on CDP. I'm pretty sure it used to, but now it plain refuses to.
It is actually the 2801 I'm having some NAT questions about. It has a twin brother (they serve the same client networks with HSRP), and that one looks just as it should.
HSRP works fine, it seems to have settled down without any further errors. OSPF neighbors show up as they should, but CDP is completely silent. Looks like this:

code:
router01#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(10c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: [url]http://www.cisco.com/techsupport[/url]
Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 24-Jul-07 00:41 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

router01 uptime is 17 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 20:26:02 UTC Mon Feb 18 2008
System restarted at 20:26:57 UTC Mon Feb 18 2008
System image file is "flash:c2801-ipbase-mz.124-10c.bin"

Cisco 2801 (revision 7.0) with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID F00DEADBEEF
6 FastEthernet interfaces
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

router01#sh cdp interface
FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
  Encapsulation ARPA
  Sending CDP packets every 60 seconds
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
  Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID  1.
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
FastEthernet0/1.37 is up, line protocol is up
  Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID  37.
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
FastEthernet0/3/0 is up, line protocol is up
  Encapsulation ARPA
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
FastEthernet0/3/1 is up, line protocol is down
  Encapsulation ARPA
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
FastEthernet0/3/2 is up, line protocol is down
  Encapsulation ARPA
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
FastEthernet0/3/3 is up, line protocol is down
  Encapsulation ARPA
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
router0101#sh cdp traffic
CDP counters :
        Total packets output: 19, Input: 0
        Hdr syntax: 0, Chksum error: 0, Encaps failed: 0
        No memory: 0, Invalid packet: 0, Fragmented: 0
        CDP version 1 advertisements output: 0, Input: 0
        CDP version 2 advertisements output: 19, Input: 0
router0101#sh cdp nei
Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                  S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID

It sees the OSPF neighbors it should on Fa0/0 (only non-passive OSPF interface), and HSRP works fine on Fa0/1.37.
Its counterpart ("router02") sees the CDP neighbors it should see on Fa0/0:
code:
router02#sh cdp neighbors
Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                  S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID
aterminalserver.mydomain.se
                 Fas 0/0            153          R        2610      Eth 0/0
anotherrouter03.mydomain.se
                 Fas 0/0            144        R S I      2801      Fas 0/0
I tried reloading router01 (hence the low packet count), with no change (HSRP still worked fine during the reload). router01 and router02 have nearly identical config, with no access lists blocking stuff on Fa0/0 or Fa0/1.37, and no statements at all regarding cdp. I've done "cdp run" and "cdp enable" (on the interfaces), but just as expected, it doesn't change anything since that's the default.

landoverbaptist
Sep 9, 2006

by Fistgrrl
This is a pretty simple question.

I have little cisco knowledge, but I have noticed our AP1231G Aironet router is sending out a lot of bad packets. It currently has 114454 Total Output Errors, and running wifi utilities on our tablets show failed packets coming in. The firmware is 12.3(7)JA and I tried changing the channel, just in case.

Should I update the software?

Note: Specifically we are getting Header CRC errors.

1282533301 total
890 last 5 seconds

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

ionn posted:

What can cause a router to not see any CDP neighbors (and not show up on other routers)?

I have a 2801 router, which simply doesn't see anyone else on CDP. I'm pretty sure it used to, but now it plain refuses to.
It is actually the 2801 I'm having some NAT questions about. It has a twin brother (they serve the same client networks with HSRP), and that one looks just as it should.
HSRP works fine, it seems to have settled down without any further errors. OSPF neighbors show up as they should, but CDP is completely silent. Looks like this:

I tried reloading router01 (hence the low packet count), with no change (HSRP still worked fine during the reload). router01 and router02 have nearly identical config, with no access lists blocking stuff on Fa0/0 or Fa0/1.37, and no statements at all regarding cdp. I've done "cdp run" and "cdp enable" (on the interfaces), but just as expected, it doesn't change anything since that's the default.

It's a Chinese knock off. They never got CDP right.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Is there a way to configure a router, switch, etc. to push the logs to an external server? Or some sort of external log configuration for advanced debugging?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Spazz posted:

Is there a way to configure a router, switch, etc. to push the logs to an external server? Or some sort of external log configuration for advanced debugging?

Syslog? Check out the "logging" command.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Spazz posted:

Google syslog.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spazz posted:

Depending on the router you can also export netflow information. I'm not certain how detailed the syslog junk gets, but netflow is fun to walk through if you have a server that can handle your bandwidth. If you want basic command logging, tacacs+ (aaa) lets you log user commands.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Is it possible to have two default routes with different metrics?

The situation I'm looking at is where two internet links are being terminated on separate routers and there needs to be some automatic redundancy in the event of one going down.

They're both on the same internal subnet, so I was hoping I could get away with assigning a default route pointing down the internet link, and then another default route with a higher metric pointing at the other router.

Is there a better solution in this case?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Smegmatron posted:

Is it possible to have two default routes with different metrics?

The situation I'm looking at is where two internet links are being terminated on separate routers and there needs to be some automatic redundancy in the event of one going down.

They're both on the same internal subnet, so I was hoping I could get away with assigning a default route pointing down the internet link, and then another default route with a higher metric pointing at the other router.

Is there a better solution in this case?

This is usually done in the case of a backup WAN connection by using a floating static route. Basically the default route is learned via a dynamic routing protocol and a backup static route is put in place with a high metric. That static 'floats' until the dynamic one goes away and then becomes active.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Admin distance fuckery like this is what you want.

Alternately you can look into this scary looking feature.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1335/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
OER is actually really neat. I've never come across a situation where I actually had to use it, but it's in the bag of tricks. I prefer BGP for that sort of stuff but for most people BGP isn't really an option due to hardware limitations etc.

I'm sitting the ISCW on next Friday and it looks to have a ton of SDM. I wish Cisco would stop pimping their GUI on their tests. I just love learning stuff which I will never use.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 22, 2008

CrackerJap
Jun 19, 2004
The nice part about the SDM sims in ISCW are that they don't let you go anywhere other than where you need to be, which saves time. This means if you're REALLY lost about where to go, just click around till it actually lets you go somewhere.

mezoth
Aug 7, 2006
Question on uRPF loose mode pertaining to the Cisco platform.

If I have the command "ip verify unicast source reachable-via any allow-default" on an interface, and I am accepting a default route from that interface, it would seem like (from a quick reading of the documentation) I should never get a verify-drop on that interface. However, my understanding is that if any specific match resolves to a null0 route on the Cisco routers, it will drop that route properly - and this matches what I see in my production routers, as I see verify-drops and suppressed drops quite often on those interfaces.

Does anybody know of documentation to back this up, or am I wrong on my presumption on why I am seeing those verify-drops?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I currently have lab access to a CCNA lab for the evening through a class I took. Anyone care to hop on AIM and give me some suggestions for things to work on configuring and whatnot? It's really kinda pointless when I have a step by step guide in front of me, yaknow?

AIM in profile if so.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Walked posted:

I currently have lab access to a CCNA lab for the evening through a class I took. Anyone care to hop on AIM and give me some suggestions for things to work on configuring and whatnot? It's really kinda pointless when I have a step by step guide in front of me, yaknow?

Just read the subject and not the how to the follows. See if you can make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
On a similar topic of CrazyLittle's last issue, can I use a voice card in all of the slots of a 1760 router? I've got three fxo cards I need to install in a router. The last two slots are marked for voice only, but I wasn't quite sure if I could use the second slot for the remaining VIC.