Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

To the person saying "vinyl is on its way out in the dance industry"--that may be true, but for now, there are still many many tracks that are ONLY released on vinyl :mad:. It's pissing me off because I have to hunt down these stupid black things and pay lots of money to ship them here from europe because the people who make the music are too old and crotchety to just release digitally like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Yeah, I agree. It does make sense to have vinyl decks, I never doubted that. I'm not sure I understand what you meant to say. :S

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Still no pictures of the Univalve or the Windsor, but who cares, here's some clips.

I'm just going to crosspost from the HC forums, no point remaking the wheel.

Alright, I've got it together. I'd like to make it clear that I am not posting these to demonstrate technical mastery of the guitar - if you're looking for Joe Satriani demonstrating the univalve for you, I've got nothing but apologies to give :) The goal was rather to show the depth and breadth of its tonal capabilities, and to demonstrate the effectiveness of its technology without going overboard. As such, I've tried to keep within one style for all of the clips so that you can get an idea of how it sounds on its own, rather than what I can do when I'm in the studio. All of these clips leave the amplifier alone. Any changes in volume and/or level of dirt you hear is strictly from the guitar, either altering my playing intensity or rolling back the volume on the guitar.

You will hear what sounds like clipping at some points. Unfortunately, this was not avoidable. My mics are not very well suited to recording guitar - they're too sensitive and they can't very well handle the signal levels of a cranked guitar amp at the close proximity required for micing a cab. What you're hearing isn't digital clipping - at no time during the recordings did my interface clip, and to ensure that I was using a FET limiter on top of keeping the signal level within the appropriate range. It's just the mic doing its thing. A SM57 is next on the list, I promise.

On that note, the mic that I am using is not frequency optimized for guitar, so if you think the sound is a little off that might explain it. I promise it sounds lovely in real life. I wouldn't be posting these clips if I hadn't monitored them and felt that they at least reasonably represent my setup's sound, but I do think that a better mic could help capture the full capabilities more effectively.

This is a demo of the THD Univalve, which I have tubed with Groove Tubes JJ-made ECC83 preamp tubes and a Grove Tubes JJ-made 6L6. Adjust your tonal expectations accordingly, because its sound (and especially its level of distortion and distortion character) changes with a good EL34. I've tailored the sound to my tastes, and tastes of course differ. That's the beauty of this amp's design - you have the flexibility to get your sound, whatever that might be.

I go on and on. Here's the clips!

THD Univalve demos:

*Roll Channel, wide open, no attenuator or noise reduction etc.

*Rock Channel, wide open, no attenuator or noise reduction etc.

*Rock Channel, wide open, noise reduction but no attenuator

*Rock channel, wide open, noise reduction and substantial attenuation (after all, I wanted to show that you could bring the level down significantly without suffering too much tone loss!)

*Roll channel, noise reduction on, damage control pedals

And just for fun, here's a high-gain clip from my Peavey Windsor. Figured I might as well fire it up while I've got the cab mic'd and my recording gear in place :) This is the Peavey Windsor, boosted with my Damage Control Solid Metal into its Low Gain input, amp gain on 5. EQ options to taste, texture knob on full Class A/B.

Peavey Windsor:

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Shipped in style with green bubble wrap.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

there is a guy on my local craigslist selling a JCM 800 50w combo amp for 650 dollars. Would I be better off trying to just find a head ? Would the combo kick rear end ?

Teh Bong
Feb 22, 2006
i am dancing like a munky?

The Fog posted:

Yeah, I agree. It does make sense to have vinyl decks, I never doubted that. I'm not sure I understand what you meant to say. :S

What he is tryin to say is that in some genres of EDM, you can only find some tracks on vinyl. Plus alot of other music types besides EDM are going back to vinyl. Mostly hip-hop and punk/emo/indy bands. I spin drum n bass and I personally see more releases on vinyl then I do on digital. I dont search for digital but when Dance Records sends me their weekly list of releases its mostly vinyl for my genre.

Herr Roboto
Jul 20, 2006

by Ozma
Definitely my next purchase:

Now I just have to find one in germany :smith:
Apparently they're sold out loving everywhere. I hope I find one within the next 2 weeks, or else my free weeks will be ruined.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

One day, I woke up and decided that I was tired of my guitarists drowning me out.

They shat bricks.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
^As did i just now, holy poo poo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Jesus. Did it come with some roadies?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

3toes posted:

Jesus. Did it come with some roadies?

Nope. I'm still stiff from getting it up to the third floor. I figure that when I do gigs I'll probably just take the bottom cabinet and the head, that thing is a bitch to move around.

EDIT: As a comparison, my old Ampeg combo sits behind me, with one of the guitarist's amps on top of it. The difference in power is obscene. Also, that thing was a steal at around 1500$ equivalent - This is a ridiculous, silly price, especially considering that music gear is usually around 30% more expensive here in Iceland than in the states. It's used, but around 8 hours of playing it haven't revealed any imperfections besides some scratches on the cover.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 8, 2008

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

pennywisdom posted:

Noted.

Hahaha I was just browsing Calgary Craigslist and saw the one you were looking at. I sold mine for $50 and I'd be susprised if that guy got $100 for his. Same model, too.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Handen posted:

Hahaha I was just browsing Calgary Craigslist and saw the one you were looking at. I sold mine for $50 and I'd be susprised if that guy got $100 for his. Same model, too.

Haha nice, it looks like its in rough shape too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Just bought this badboy. My first real tubescreamer. I tried it with this exact head though.....

Oh man....My tax return won't cover the full purchase of this. I was at the local guitar store jamming on it for about an hour today. I need to sell my jcm2000 tsl 60w head to afford this. The guy said he would do 1350.

smeg
Sep 27, 2004
I just picked up a 1974 Marshall Super lead Mark 2 100w

Purchased from a local charity shop who had no idea what it was so as a result it was stupidly cheap, I mean ridiculously cheap, under $100 AU cheap.

:D

smeg fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 9, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

smeg posted:

Purchased from a local charity shop who had no idea what it was so as a result it was stupidly cheap, I mean ridiculously cheap, under $100 AU cheap.

Let me be the first to say I hate you.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

smeg posted:

You BASTARD.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

smeg posted:

Sometimes I dream about things like that happening to me. :unsmith:

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

smeg posted:

"And in other news, members of the public were baffled as a sudden rush of men across the country to charity shops occured. Police think the incidents were related as many bystanders reported frequent usage of the word 'stairs'"

(ps you're a jammy git)

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

smeg posted:

I hope the power amp blows a tube and ignites your drat house, you fucker.

Okay, not really. I'm content with my Bassman. :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Nobody seems particularly interested in these clips, so I apologize if I'm just cluttering up the place, but here are two more Peavey Windsor clips. These are the final "macro-level" changes to my high-gain tone from the Windsor. I've got my preferred mic placement down and levels adjusted like I want them on my preamp, and all hardware settings (that is, my boost pedal, my two graphic EQs, and my amp's various tonal options) are essentially finalized. I didn't do any studio tricks with these clips (even the studio trick of properly level matching my guitar and drums track... d'oh), so please excuse the utter lack of production values.

Peavey Windsor Lead Tone

Peavey Windsor Rhythm Track Rough Cut

Both of these were recorded with my Agile Ghost III with GFS Dream 180 in the neck and GFS Crunchy Rails in the bridge, through my Peavey Windsor head into a Trace Elliot cab loaded with four English-made Celestion V30s. I'm using my Damage Control Solid Metal on Nuclear mode into the Windsor's low gain input. The Windsor's preamp gain is below halfway, and master volume is set in this clip to the lowest level which eliminated the presence of string noise in the recording. I was also helped in that by the fact that the new method I'm using to mic my cab sits the mic right up on the speaker, so there's less environmental bleed through. I'm also finally taking advantage of the Windsor's excellent effects loop in this clip to run my reverb and delay - it is a low-level effects loop, thank goodness, and doesn't clip my pedals. Hooray!

The second clip is actually the preliminary rhythm track idea for a song I am working on, so any thoughts would be appreciated on that - granted that it's a very rough draft, but the basic structure is there.

Once again, if all I'm doing is hurting the signal:noise ratio in this thread I apologize, but I think that it might help prospective buyers to hear clips of gear rather than just reviews, no matter how in-depth they might be.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
1984 Left Handed Japanese Vintage Stratocaster in Olympic white. Yup, you know those Strats that were better than any American Strat by miles at the time? This is one of them. The action's beautiful. In fact the whole drat guitar is beautiful.
She's in immaculate condition and the plastic has aged nicely.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Zakalwe posted:

1984 Left Handed Japanese Vintage Stratocaster in Olympic white. Yup, you know those Strats that were better than any American Strat by miles at the time? This is one of them. The action's beautiful. In fact the whole drat guitar is beautiful.

This is quite possibly the Strat of my dreams.

and oh god, that Marshall

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'M THE ONE AND ONLY DOMINATOR

Sounds like : http://www.synthmania.com/mks-50.htm

Reference: look for sound B86 "What The"

darknation
Jan 5, 2008
do you have any ketamine?
The infamous "What The".
One of the greatest and most well known patches of all time :D

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Yoozer posted:

I'M THE ONE AND ONLY DOMINATOR

Sounds like : http://www.synthmania.com/mks-50.htm

Reference: look for sound B86 "What The"

The link on that site is dead, what's the "What the" patch?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Handen posted:

The link on that site is dead, what's the "What the" patch?
None other than... the world famous hoover! (as made famous by "Dominator")

I think it's also the synth patch used in the album version of Charly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XH7xdFUwAVY

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Zakalwe posted:

Awesome guitar.

However, whenever I see a left-handed guitar or bass, my eyes start feeling weird and I can't really look at the entire guitar at the same time, I have to focus on bits of it. kind of like looking at one of those mindfuck patterns designed to short circuit the human mind.

My mind can't fathom the existance of a lefty guitar.

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.
It's been a project in the making for awhile, and now it's finally finished (at least for now, I might do a little bit of tweaks down the line).

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Aeon posted:

It's been a project in the making for awhile, and now it's finally finished (at least for now, I might do a little bit of tweaks down the line).

A... a Telemaster? :psyduck:

Draesk
Sep 12, 2007

Is it me, or is that bridge really high? :o

It actually looks rather nice - that's a great piece of wood for the body. The neck pickup kinda spoils it though, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Is that top-routed AND rear-routed?

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.

Carbohydrates posted:

Is that top-routed AND rear-routed?

It's routed like a Les Paul would be routed. Thus, no need for a pickguard on the top... But, where the hell else are you going to stick the electronics.

The bridge is normal, maybe the pictures make it look high. But the action is super low but still doesn't buzz.

I agree that the neck pickup looks a little out of place, but nothing beats Jazzmaster pickups. Maybe I could get a black cover for it to make it look more like the bridge pickup.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Aeon posted:

It's routed like a Les Paul would be routed. Thus, no need for a pickguard on the top... But, where the hell else are you going to stick the electronics.
Just sayin' there's no need to do a Les Paul route because the telecaster control plate is used with a top route. Unless you just have it there for decoration.

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.

Carbohydrates posted:

Just sayin' there's no need to do a Les Paul route because the telecaster control plate is used with a top route. Unless you just have it there for decoration.

touche. The decision to use a Telecaster control plate was made down the line, I guess the body was routed with the intention that something like 4 tone/volume controls or something similar would be used. In any case, less wood seems to be taken out near the pickups, so.. yeah.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Agreed posted:

Nobody seems particularly interested in these clips, so I apologize if I'm just cluttering up the place, but here are two more Peavey Windsor clips. These are the final "macro-level" changes to my high-gain tone from the Windsor. I've got my preferred mic placement down and levels adjusted like I want them on my preamp, and all hardware settings (that is, my boost pedal, my two graphic EQs, and my amp's various tonal options) are essentially finalized. I didn't do any studio tricks with these clips (even the studio trick of properly level matching my guitar and drums track... d'oh), so please excuse the utter lack of production values.

Peavey Windsor Lead Tone

Peavey Windsor Rhythm Track Rough Cut

Both of these were recorded with my Agile Ghost III with GFS Dream 180 in the neck and GFS Crunchy Rails in the bridge, through my Peavey Windsor head into a Trace Elliot cab loaded with four English-made Celestion V30s. I'm using my Damage Control Solid Metal on Nuclear mode into the Windsor's low gain input. The Windsor's preamp gain is below halfway, and master volume is set in this clip to the lowest level which eliminated the presence of string noise in the recording. I was also helped in that by the fact that the new method I'm using to mic my cab sits the mic right up on the speaker, so there's less environmental bleed through. I'm also finally taking advantage of the Windsor's excellent effects loop in this clip to run my reverb and delay - it is a low-level effects loop, thank goodness, and doesn't clip my pedals. Hooray!

The second clip is actually the preliminary rhythm track idea for a song I am working on, so any thoughts would be appreciated on that - granted that it's a very rough draft, but the basic structure is there.

Once again, if all I'm doing is hurting the signal:noise ratio in this thread I apologize, but I think that it might help prospective buyers to hear clips of gear rather than just reviews, no matter how in-depth they might be.

I've been listening to the clips and appreciate it, since I'm still shopping around for an amp. I had a H&K 20 ordered, it went out of stock, I cancelled it and had my credit card ready to order a Peavey JSX, but now there's a possibility of financial problems down the line so I'm holding off on spending any more major money.

The Windsor clips are killer, I'm really impressed by what that little guy is capable of. To be honest I wasn't nearly as impressed by the Univalve clips, but that amp is totally customizable to the user's tastes so whatever works for you.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Aeon posted:

(cool guitar)

that is awesome :cool:

what does it sound like?

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The Windsor clips are killer, I'm really impressed by what that little guy is capable of. To be honest I wasn't nearly as impressed by the Univalve clips, but that amp is totally customizable to the user's tastes so whatever works for you.

the windsor really is a great amp for the money, but like many vintage british-style amps, it really only comes into its own once you get those power tubes singing. From 1-4 on the master volume it's sort of on the lower end of decent (to my ears), but after that it just gets better and better. You could do a lot worse for the cash, that's for sure.

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.

cylyk posted:

that is awesome :cool:

what does it sound like?

In the neck, like a Jazzmaster with more balls and sustain thanks to the bridge. In the bridge position, it sounds like a Telecaster with a little bit more high end zing and mids (thanks to the 1Meg pots), but not ice-picky. The pickups are Fender '62 AVRI and Dimarzio Pre B-1 respectively. The middle position, oddly enough, seems to sound a lot like a Strat's 2 or 4 positions.

So it has a really good unique sound that's not really inherent to either of the guitars its based on. I think if you're going to build a custom guitar you should make something that you can't find on a standard model. The other nice thing is the chunky neck shape and Gibson-style frets (low and wide). It's seriously the best guitar I've ever played, and I've played plenty of Gibson and Fender custom shops. And part of that is because I got it spec'ed out to just the way I wanted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Wait, I thought it was the αJuno-2 that had the "what the" patch?