Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Aparantly not so much.

I missed the clip from the movie but did they blow a mannaquin up or a styofoam body? I seem to recall lots of styrofoam debris but I can't be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, I guess I missed them explaining what that was because it sure as hell didn't look like any ballistics material they've used before and kind of looked like foam/cotton stuffing or something.

It also seemed like it proved the myth well enough to me.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
This is going to loving rock.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Yeah, I guess I missed them explaining what that was because it sure as hell didn't look like any ballistics material they've used before and kind of looked like foam/cotton stuffing or something.

It also seemed like it proved the myth well enough to me.

Yeah, I was kind of confused by the result too.

"It didn't blow the top half of the dummy away. It just blew a huge hole in the chest."

Yes, and detached the upper half of the dummy from the body, which I would call blowing the top half away.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jamie's jaw/mouth is insane. I'm thinking his is going to do the job.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Hot drat, he's recreated Death Machine!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok, that stuff definitely doesn't look like normal styrofoam, but I still can't tell what it is.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

IRQ posted:

Ok, that stuff definitely doesn't look like normal styrofoam, but I still can't tell what it is.

It's the stuff they make like foam mannequins and such with.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Hah, is that a pen in your pocket or do you carry your enormous penis on your chest?

Also, I was dying during Grant's Tim Gunn impersonation.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Smashlab is so loving retarded. Why would you put a bunch of ball bearings under a loving house?

If they'd thought about this for more than 2 seconds, they'd go with mounting it on springs instead like, oh, you know, the Cheyenne Mountain complex designed to survive anything short of a direct nuclear hit. But what do actual engineers designing a military facility meant to survive nuclear war know?

Why do I keep watching this show? :argh:

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

IRQ posted:

Smashlab is so loving retarded. Why would you put a bunch of ball bearings under a loving house?

If they'd thought about this for more than 2 seconds, they'd go with mounting it on springs instead like, oh, you know, the Cheyenne Mountain complex designed to survive anything short of a direct nuclear hit. But what do actual engineers designing a military facility meant to survive nuclear war know?

Why do I keep watching this show? :argh:

I saw it for the first time tonight and was pretty disappointed. I first thought it was going to be a cool show but the previews kept making it seem worse and worse. So when I finally saw it tonight it just seemed stupid.

They don't build their rigs and it looks totally scripted because there is no "organic" flow to the show. It is just "oh well next lets try this test! yeah that works!". This show wont last long and it wont be missed.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

IRQ posted:

If you're watching tonight's Bond myths episode, he trots out his all purpose Not-Adam voice again.

I'm surprised I never noticed that before.

Also why the gently caress are they testing Bond myths, of course Jaws could never do any of the poo poo from the movie. Jamie's Cable Cutter costume, however, was awesome.

edit: during one part, was Adam holding Hellboy's Samaritan from the movie?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

It wasn't anything that looked hardy enough to withstand an explosion and it certainly didn't look like anything you'd use to draw any serious conclusions about the ballistic properties of a given device.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Free Market Gravy posted:

It wasn't anything that looked hardy enough to withstand an explosion and it certainly didn't look like anything you'd use to draw any serious conclusions about the ballistic properties of a given device.
The original scene they were trying to recreate involved Q blowing up a mannequin so they built themselves some mannequins out of mannequin foam to see if a pen would obliterate the dummy like in the movie. It took a giant pen to cause the same level of obliteration as seen in the movie.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Filthy Assistant posted:

I'm surprised I never noticed that before.

Also why the gently caress are they testing Bond myths, of course Jaws could never do any of the poo poo from the movie. Jamie's Cable Cutter costume, however, was awesome.

edit: during one part, was Adam holding Hellboy's Samaritan from the movie?

I think Jamie's business outside of mythbusters is a prop shop, so it could have been one of the movie props.

Fun Bond fact: For the movie, the actor playing Jaws actually did bite through the cable. The cable, however, was made of licorice.

I think next week is the MacGyver special. They could probably get a few shows out of MacGyver myths.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

IRQ posted:

That's Adam's voice for pretty much everything not Adam.

Don't forget his "man's inhumanity to man" art-fag voice.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

LordOfThePants posted:

They could probably get a few shows out of MacGyver myths.

I think they're starting to confuse "exaggeration" with "mythical".

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

I think Jamie's business outside of mythbusters is a prop shop, so it could have been one of the movie props.

Fun Bond fact: For the movie, the actor playing Jaws actually did bite through the cable. The cable, however, was made of licorice.

I think next week is the MacGyver special. They could probably get a few shows out of MacGyver myths.

Nope, next week is the Viewers Special 2, the 20th is when the MacGyver special airs.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Also, I was dying during Grant's Tim Gunn impersonation.

That scene raised a lot of questions about Grant that really need answering. :psyduck:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Filthy Assistant posted:

I think they're starting to confuse "exaggeration" with "mythical".

They ran out of actual myths years ago, just roll with it.

And besides, some of the poo poo MacGyver did was well beyond mere exaggeration.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

IRQ posted:

They ran out of actual myths years ago, just roll with it.

And besides, some of the poo poo MacGyver did was well beyond mere exaggeration.

Yeah, I know, but it's still getting kind of ridiculous now.

"WAS A MOVIE WITH PATRICK SWAYZE AND KEANU REEVES SKYDIVING AND SURFING CORRECT? LET'S FIND OUT!!!!"

Coda A27
Nov 9, 2003

Section
Dispa
I really enjoy Fight Quest. Doug (skinny white Iraqi vet) and Jimmy (huge M Bison figure) have a good dynamic, they're open, forthcoming, and in every episode try their best and give it their all. Plus watching them learn new moves is pretty drat cool too with all of the sub-elements (footwork, motions as appropriate).

Can't wait for season 2!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Coda A27 posted:

I really enjoy Fight Quest. Doug (skinny white Iraqi vet) and Jimmy (huge M Bison figure) have a good dynamic, they're open, forthcoming, and in every episode try their best and give it their all. Plus watching them learn new moves is pretty drat cool too with all of the sub-elements (footwork, motions as appropriate).

Can't wait for season 2!

Huh, I had this pegged as Smash Lab to Human Weapon's Mythbusters, but I might have to give it a shot now. As long as they make the same distinctions between moves displayed purely for the sake of education and moves which are actually effective in a bout, I could get onboard.

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004
I can't even make it through the opening credits of Smash Lab without cringing. The section where they are introducing each person has actually caused me to yell at my TV. "Who is Smash Lab? These four boring people. Guy with unshaved face. Guy with glasses. Guy who never talks. Sort of cute girl who is supposed to be smart but reads off cue cards." SLOOWWW MOTION WIND SCENE! gently caress it.

The actual show is just horrible. None of the crap they do works, but they always have to end it with a positive "this could work one day" line to vindicate the time and money wasted on obviously stupid ideas. I think they should just combine the last 4 or 5 shows into one MEGA idea. An ariated cement block wrapped in carbon fiber with air bags on a bed of ball bearings designed to stop rampaging elephants in India would fail four times more spectacularly then any single element combined.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that it is just too obvious that Discovery tried to recreate Mythbusters using the same formula that made Mythbusters watchable and entertaining, only to settle on four unlikable hosts with vague uninteresting "missions" and a crappy secret lair name.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, Smash Lab is one of the most transparently "fake" shows I've ever seen, in the sense that everything is a shameless second-rate knockoff of some more successful show. Less charming hosts, less interesting topics, less spectacular results... it's just less.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

McSpanky posted:

Huh, I had this pegged as Smash Lab to Human Weapon's Mythbusters, but I might have to give it a shot now. As long as they make the same distinctions between moves displayed purely for the sake of education and moves which are actually effective in a bout, I could get onboard.

Fight Quest is absolutely terrible. They give the guy like a week (as if that's time to learn a martial art) and then during the end fight he basically says he's just going to wing it anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Filthy Assistant posted:

Fight Quest is absolutely terrible. They give the guy like a week (as if that's time to learn a martial art) and then during the end fight he basically says he's just going to wing it anyway.

That's what happened in half the episodes of Human Weapon anyway (usually with Bill).

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

McSpanky posted:

That's what happened in half the episodes of Human Weapon anyway (usually with Bill).

I never saw Human Weapon so v:shobon:v

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McSpanky posted:

Huh, I had this pegged as Smash Lab to Human Weapon's Mythbusters

The are the exact same show.

Vilthuril
Mar 30, 2004

Filthy Assistant posted:

I watched one episode, which mostly consisted of him getting exhausted, and not really picking up on the subtulties of whatever form was being studied.

I'd rather see a study of the form without fight at the end of the training bs.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

the-jam posted:

The original scene they were trying to recreate involved Q blowing up a mannequin so they built themselves some mannequins out of mannequin foam to see if a pen would obliterate the dummy like in the movie. It took a giant pen to cause the same level of obliteration as seen in the movie.

As a fan of Bond movies, I am extremely disappointed in myself for not putting 2 and 2 together, even if I haven't seen Goldeneye in years. :doh:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Vilthuril posted:

I watched one episode, which mostly consisted of him getting exhausted, and not really picking up on the subtulties of whatever form was being studied.

I'd rather see a study of the form without fight at the end of the training bs.

NO! They must run and do pushups only!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was sitting on the couch watching tv today and noticed that at 3pm CST they had an episode of I shouldn't be Alive running. Looks like for at least this week they have been running reruns in this slot. Good deal!! I always liked the show.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Mythbusters MacGyver Special Tonight at 9pm EST!

I'm hoping it's a good one - they'll probably have enough material that we'll see at least one more MacGyver themed episode, but this is the "season finale" for this run of shows. Like I mentioned in the original post, Discovery tends to air their shows in blocks, so after tonight's episode there won't be any new episodes for a while.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

LordOfThePants posted:

I'm hoping it's a good one

It's Mythbusters, and MacGyver. How could it not be fantastic?

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
Well, I watched tonight's Smash Lab to see if it had gotten any better since the first episode. It hasn't :sigh:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hawkman posted:

Well, I watched tonight's Smash Lab to see if it had gotten any better since the first episode. It hasn't :sigh:

Next week they try to stop an out of control vehicle by attaching rockets to it. :rolleyes:

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

The Human Crouton posted:

Next week they try to stop an out of control vehicle by attaching rockets to it. :rolleyes:
Smash Lab formula:

1. Find problem
2. Attempt to solve problem in random impractically stupid fashion
3. Fail
4. Feign excitement, gesture wildly
5. Claim that humanity has learned something valuable from your failed experiment, do not elaborate on what that might be

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hawkman posted:

Smash Lab formula:

1. Find problem
2. Attempt to solve problem in random impractically stupid fashion
3. Fail
4. Feign excitement, gesture wildly
5. Claim that humanity has learned something valuable from your failed experiment, do not elaborate on what that might be

Sometimes they also take a working system that someone already had in production and ruin it. Last week they got the idea of having fire escapes that drop down on a rail and stop using magnetic brakes. They got the idea from roller coasters. They then fail miserably at it and claim that the only reason it works for roller coasters is because the coaster comes in at a 30 degree angle, which is completely ignoring the numerous drop rides that drop straight down and use magnetic brakes.

The reason their rig didn't work: Because they put the brakes at the very bottom of the rail so that the fire escape did not have time to stop because by the time it hit the brakes it had already hit the ground.

I didn't even see this episode. A friend of mine saw it and was so annoyed that he had to call and bitch to someone about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn
I think the worst part of Smash Lab is the yelling and flailing about when something explodes or gets hit. I'd find it much funnier if they just sort watched it, thought about it, nodded, then scribbled something on a piece of paper on a clipboard. That's essentially Jamie's reaction to almost everything in Mythbusters, and I always find it funnier than Adam or Kari's "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG".

• Locked thread