Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

I don't need a drat excuse. Post 1000 in the thread!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

I don't need a drat excuse. Post 1000 in the thread!!!!
Good work on this thread and the site, Neuro - I like reading them and occasionally contributing. :)

Tycho
Dec 14, 2002

CasualCliffy posted:

It's up!

Awesome, Platinum upgrade sent :)

Filthy_McGreasy
Aug 14, 2004
Greasy!
Added this to the wiki:

How about recreating mtr in a perl or shell script (or any portable language that can be run on POSIX compliant OS's)? If you are not familiar with MTR, it stands for Matt's Traceroute. It can be found here: http://www.bitwizard.nl/mtr/
There is also a windows version easily found with google. The program sends out a traceroute to the destination, then uses DNS to resolve each IP along the way. Third it will ping each IP one at a time until you stop it. The results are neat and clean and it has always been such a great program for network troubleshooting.

Here is an example of the horriblly formatted windows version:

code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                10.0.0.1 -    0 |   13 |   13 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                              10.34.96.1 -    0 |   13 |   13 |    0 |    7 |   31 |   16 |
|     gig2-3.hlrdoh1-ybr2.columbus.rr.com -    0 |   12 |   12 |    0 |   11 |   16 |    0 |
|     srp8-1.clmboh1-rtr2.columbus.rr.com -    0 |   12 |   12 |    0 |    6 |   16 |   16 |
|    srp12-0.clmboh1-rtr1.columbus.rr.com -    0 |   12 |   12 |    0 |   11 |   16 |    0 |
| network-065-025-137-253.columbus.rr.com -    0 |   12 |   12 |    0 |   13 |   32 |   32 |
|           ae-3-0.cr0.dca20.tbone.rr.com -    0 |   12 |   12 |   16 |   31 |   47 |   31 |
|           ae-1-0.pr0.dca10.tbone.rr.com -    0 |   12 |   12 |   15 |   18 |   31 |   15 |
|                             66.109.9.66 -    0 |   12 |   12 |   15 |   27 |   32 |   32 |
|                          216.239.48.112 -    0 |   12 |   12 |   15 |   66 |  281 |   15 |
|                           216.239.48.69 -    0 |   12 |   12 |   31 |   62 |  141 |   47 |
|                           72.14.236.175 -    0 |   12 |   12 |   31 |   41 |   62 |   31 |
|                          216.239.49.222 -    0 |   12 |   12 |   31 |   43 |   63 |   47 |
|                           64.233.187.99 -   25 |   12 |    9 |   31 |   36 |   47 |   31 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir  ( [email]stanimir@cr.nivis.com[/email] )

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

I’d like an app that will let me search for a word (series of letters/numbers/whatever) on multiple lines (in word or excel), then let me cut and paste all of the entire lines of text with that word in common into a new document. For example:

ORIGINAL
teachingJohnSmyth 01010101
Padammcadams uiossskdjs
1fredfredrickson 90938998
2peterpeterson yousmell
Pgabrieljones aajajaj
teachingskippo 00000000000
4jamessemaj jjsjjjjjjj
teachinglizdumb 66554433

NEW DOCUMENT
teachinglizdumb 66554433

I searched for the word 'teach' and it selected those lines and let me copy them.

Except I’m talking like 20 page word and excel documents.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

skippo: Did you look at the Find and Replace dialog?
1. check off "Highlight all items found in current document"
2. hit the 'more' button and check off 'use wildcards'
3. enter "find*^l" (without quotes) under 'find what'
4. hit find all.

I just updated Vid2Gif, which has been fairly popular, with a version that has been sitting on my hard drive waiting for that last hour worth of work for the past couple months. It should be much easier to use and get good results now.

Azzmodan
Mar 13, 2004

skippo posted:

I'd like an app that will let me search for a word (series of letters/numbers/whatever) on multiple lines (in word or excel), then let me cut and paste all of the entire lines of text with that word in common into a new document. For example:

I searched for the word 'teach' and it selected those lines and let me copy them.

Except I'm talking like 20 page word and excel documents.

If you can paste it into/save as a text document then you could easily do that with the build in command line tools:
I pasted your original stuff in a text file called "original.txt" and then you do this:

code:
C:\temp>type original.txt | find /I "teach"
That gives:
code:
teachinglizdumb 66554433
You can save that output in a new file straight away this way:
code:
type original.txt | find /I "teach" > NewDocument.txt
And now you'll have a file called NewDocument.txt that contains the lines you wanted:
C:\temp>type NewDocument.txt
teachinglizdumb 66554433

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

Azzmodan posted:

Neurozys posted:

Cheers :)

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I want something that can sort through a mIRC log file, and separate each line into a different text file, named after the nickname that said it, in the same directory. (With an option to remove timestamps, if present.)

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

When I want to reset my IP, I login to my router via HTTP, go to the connections menu and hit the "disconnect" button then hit the reconnect button.

I have found it possible to telnet into the router but I do not know commands to disconnect/reconnect in telnet.

What I am looking for is

1. Connect to router
2. Authenticate
3. disconnect from internet
4. wait 2 seconds
5. connect to internet

a config file to be able to change variables (Router IP, Username, Password, wait time, etc) would be nice.

I understand that if someone does take this on they will probably need to talk to me about my router and telnet commands if required etc.
so can someone PM me about this if it is required.

Thanks

selan dyin fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 4, 2008

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.
Mine is simple, a program that will sit in the dock, maybe listen for a customizable set of keys and when it gets it or gets clicked or whatever puts the monitor into sleep mode.

All these other solutions on the net seem to be shareware, and it can't be that hard.

PaulMyo
Aug 8, 2004
I Asked For a Quantity Discount!

WindMinstrel posted:

Mine is simple, a program that will sit in the dock, maybe listen for a customizable set of keys and when it gets it or gets clicked or whatever puts the monitor into sleep mode.

All these other solutions on the net seem to be shareware, and it can't be that hard.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26234/sleep-display

This should work in 10.5

http://at.araxia.net/blog/seth/tech/?permalink=display-sleep.html

This should work in 10.4

I have not tested this, I am being lazy, sorry

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.

PaulMyo posted:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26234/sleep-display

This should work in 10.5

http://at.araxia.net/blog/seth/tech/?permalink=display-sleep.html

This should work in 10.4

I have not tested this, I am being lazy, sorry

Brilliant, that solves the problem for my OS X machines, now I need something for XP.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD
Here is my request.

I don't know how best to describe this, but it's a tiny application that keeps the audio channel to my receiver 'open'.

Typically, my stereo (hooked up to the computer) will 'turn off' input processing when it notices silence coming in over the optical input. This results in a half-second delay 'turning on' as soon as sound is sent again. The solution until now has been playing mp3's on the lowest volume possible to keep the input going.

Up until recently, paused google videos would also keep the input channel open, so they must have been doing something with the sound hardware keeping a buffer open or data flowing or something. I have not found *any* help googling for more information.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

wrok posted:

Here is my request.

I don't know how best to describe this, but it's a tiny application that keeps the audio channel to my receiver 'open'.

Typically, my stereo (hooked up to the computer) will 'turn off' input processing when it notices silence coming in over the optical input. This results in a half-second delay 'turning on' as soon as sound is sent again. The solution until now has been playing mp3's on the lowest volume possible to keep the input going.

Up until recently, paused google videos would also keep the input channel open, so they must have been doing something with the sound hardware keeping a buffer open or data flowing or something. I have not found *any* help googling for more information.

You may have already done this, but have you read the manual for the stereo system? You would think they would offer some method of turning off this 'feature' if you were listening to music that had moments of silence.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

CasualCliffy posted:

You may have already done this, but have you read the manual for the stereo system? You would think they would offer some method of turning off this 'feature' if you were listening to music that had moments of silence.

I've looked but not found anything. It's a nice system but not very customizable (not even an EQ). It was cheap and does what I want, with this minor exception, so v:shobon:v

I'm sure that if I were using the regular inputs, or directly playing music in it's DVD drive that this wouldn't happen -- it's just an optical input weirdness.

MrPhred
Feb 27, 2004

I MASTURBATED ALL DAY TO THIS PICTURE OF GWB. SEMEN MAKES MY KEYBOARD STICKY OH SHI
A group of friends and I watch 24 and do power hour every Monday. If you don't know what that is, it's where you take a shot of beer every minute for the 60 minutes the show is on. We usually have to scramble for an clock to tell us when to take the shot. It would be cool to have a clock in the 24 style with hours, minutes and seconds that could be set to any hour of the day and play a sound every minute. A small split timer along the side to keep track of when we took the actual shot (as you get towards the end, you take them longer and longer after the minute expires) would be cool too. Or maybe just display the last few shot times underneath.

12CharacterPasswor
Jan 15, 2006

Jeece posted:

Request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1200059323
<Snip>
Change the Modified date to Creation date for each individual file. I'd prefer something quick to use. For example, right-clicking on a folder or a group of selected files to change the date of each file.

If you think of something simpler/better, go for it!

Here you go mang:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ModifiedDateFromCreationDate

Filthy_McGreasy
Aug 14, 2004
Greasy!

Rage-a-Holic posted:

When I want to reset my IP, I login to my router via HTTP, go to the connections menu and hit the "disconnect" button then hit the reconnect button.

I have found it possible to telnet into the router but I do not know commands to disconnect/reconnect in telnet.

What I am looking for is

1. Connect to router
2. Authenticate
3. disconnect from internet
4. wait 2 seconds
5. connect to internet

a config file to be able to change variables (Router IP, Username, Password, wait time, etc) would be nice.

I understand that if someone does take this on they will probably need to talk to me about my router and telnet commands if required etc.
so can someone PM me about this if it is required.

Thanks

Sorry I don't have plat, so I can't PM you. Can you post the details of how you telnet to the router? Also the make and model will help. Are on winXP?

I have a second request. Because I am not very good at math, it would be handy to have a small program that you can enter in your information about how much money you owe and the corresponding interest rates. The program would then run some math formulas in the background and tell you what percentage of every dollar should go towards which piece of debt to maximize your money long term. Kind of confusing, so here is an example:

College loan: $2000 at 2% APR
Car loan: $13,000 at 7% APR
Mortgage: $76,000 at 6% APR

Surplus income: $10000

Recommendations: $6000 towards car loan, $2000 towards college loan, $2000 towards mortgage.

Olzi
Oct 25, 2006
-nt-

MrPhred posted:

A group of friends and I watch 24 and do power hour every Monday. If you don't know what that is, it's where you take a shot of beer every minute for the 60 minutes the show is on. We usually have to scramble for an clock to tell us when to take the shot. It would be cool to have a clock in the 24 style with hours, minutes and seconds that could be set to any hour of the day and play a sound every minute. A small split timer along the side to keep track of when we took the actual shot (as you get towards the end, you take them longer and longer after the minute expires) would be cool too. Or maybe just display the last few shot times underneath.

Already requested, and filled: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Beer_Jug

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Filthy_McGreasy posted:

Sorry I don't have plat, so I can't PM you. Can you post the details of how you telnet to the router? Also the make and model will help. Are on winXP?

I have a second request. Because I am not very good at math, it would be handy to have a small program that you can enter in your information about how much money you owe and the corresponding interest rates. The program would then run some math formulas in the background and tell you what percentage of every dollar should go towards which piece of debt to maximize your money long term. Kind of confusing, so here is an example:

Recommendations: $6000 towards car loan, $2000 towards college loan, $2000 towards mortgage.

There's not really a formula for that. Paying the highest interest rate first is always the best way to "maximize" your money. So the best strategy is just to pay as much on the highest rate and maintain the others.

You could turn this into an actual schedule if you knew the minimum payments on each loan.

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005

Sorry for the lateness, I just got back here. Thank you very much! Will try when I get home. :D

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Filthy_McGreasy posted:

pay the minimum on the lowest APR loans and pay everything else on the highest APR. there's no formula really.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

WindMinstrel posted:

Brilliant, that solves the problem for my OS X machines, now I need something for XP.

I went ahead and submitted an official request under your name, since you hadn't done it, and then filled it: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1203270257

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Filthy_McGreasy posted:

pretty much
open 10.0.0.138
username prompt <enter>
password prompt <enter>
then it's logged in and waits for a command

model/make are Thomson/Alcatel Speedtouch 530
yep winXP

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I want something that can sort through a mIRC log file, and separate each line into a different text file, named after the nickname that said it, in the same directory. (With an option to remove timestamps, if present.)

I don't have many logs to test with. Could you give this a shot and let me know how it works for you? http://www.ru486.us/parsemirc/

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.
I need a small custom app to help with web design. As a developer, I need to take a designers mockup and make the site fit around it. I'm thinking it can either be done as an app, or as a firefox plugin - preferibly it should be cross-platform.

As part of the final stages of the development, I need to verify the site fits closely to the origional mockup by loading the image of the mockup and placing it over the browser.

What I am requesting is a small app that has a small control panel, in it there are 2 things - an "Open Image" button and a opacity slider.

When the app opens the image, it should load it into a window without a border, header or toolbar, the image should just be blit onto a surface. With the opacity controller, I can change it to suit my needs as I develop. Clicking on the image surface, I should be able to move it around.

Digital Spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 26, 2008

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.
loving about, I hit Quote instead of Edit.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Digital Spaghetti posted:

I need a small custom app to help with web design. As a developer, I need to take a designers mockup and make the site fit around it. I'm thinking it can either be done as an app, or as a firefox plugin - preferibly it should be cross-platform.

I've got all of this done. Do you want the image window to always stay on top? If so, do you want the opacity slider built right onto it so you can adjust it easily, or just keep it on the control window?

Also, I just read what I quoted and see you want this cross-platform. poo poo. Well, if you want a C# version, I can post it.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

mintskoal posted:

I've got all of this done. Do you want the image window to always stay on top? If so, do you want the opacity slider built right onto it so you can adjust it easily, or just keep it on the control window?

Also, I just read what I quoted and see you want this cross-platform. poo poo. Well, if you want a C# version, I can post it.

It would be handy to keep the image on top, maybe an option to keep it modal. I was thinking of keeping the buttons in the control panel and only showing the image with no other controls on it.

If it's Windows only, thats cool - I develop in both windows and unix.

Thanks very much, can't wait to see it! you can email me digitalspaghetti@gmail.com

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Digital Spaghetti posted:

As part of the final stages of the development, I need to verify the site fits closely to the origional mockup by loading the image of the mockup and placing it over the browser.

What I am requesting is a small app that has a small control panel, in it there are 2 things - an "Open Image" button and a opacity slider.

When the app opens the image, it should load it into a window without a border, header or toolbar, the image should just be blit onto a surface. With the opacity controller, I can change it to suit my needs as I develop. Clicking on the image surface, I should be able to move it around.

Acetate does almost exactly this, although it's not cross platform. It was made by Azmerod in response to a request last May.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Neurozys posted:

Acetate does almost exactly this, although it's not cross platform. It was made by Azmerod in response to a request last May.

Holy poo poo I didn't even see that. Very cool

Yaksha
Jun 28, 2005

Demilich
I need an app that does the following:

1) Every X minutes it downloads a file from a website.
2) After the file has been downloaded, it will FTP the file to an FTP site

The number of minutes that it checks for the file should be configurable.

A log of some kind would be nice, to check and see if the download or FTP ever failed.

The FTP process will automatically overwrite the previously uploaded file (filename is always the same).

I imagine there would be a box for the URL, repeat time, ftp username, ftp password, and ftp directory.

Edit: I'm good at reading instructions.
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1204210838

Yaksha fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 28, 2008

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even see that. Very cool

That is indeed very cool and EXACTLY what I needed. Mintskoal, I appreciate your efforts!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

vladimir posted:

I just posted an app request, but I'm not a coder so I have no idea how big/small of a project this would be.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1199833828

Basic file archiving application. Will move files that haven't been modified before a selected date to a new file share, but will create/keep the file and folder structure to the new location as well. Let me know if my ramblings don't make any sense. :)

edit: Preferably something with a GUI that will show you what files are being moved (a 'preview' pane) before actually committing the changes so that you can verify what's going on.

Here -> http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Move_em

Windows only - requires .NET 2.0 (might be portable to Mono, who knows?).

Moetic Justice
Feb 14, 2004

by Fistgrrl
What I need is an app for sorting IRC logfiles by channel instead of date. If I have a bunch of files with names like:

code:
20010807#fartz
20010807#buttz
20010808#fartz
and so on, I need a program to move the string of numbers at the beginning of each filename to the end, so the example given would yield:

code:
#fartz20010807
#butz20010807
#fartz20010808
Thanks in advance.

Land Mime
Jul 13, 2007
Love never blows up and gets killed
Here you go

code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
for my $old (glob "*") {
   my $new = $old ;
   $new =~ s/^(\d+)(#\w+)$/$2.$1/e;
   rename $old, $new if $old ne $new;
}
Edit: This will rename ALL files in the directory you run it in using the method you specified, and ignores files that don't match the format.

Land Mime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 1, 2008

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jungle Bus posted:

What I need is an app for sorting IRC logfiles by channel instead of date. If I have a bunch of files with names like:
code:
20010807#fartz
20010807#buttz
20010808#fartz
and so on, I need a program to move the string of numbers at the beginning of each filename to the end, so the example given would yield:
code:
#fartz20010807
#butz20010807
#fartz20010808
Thanks in advance.
for /f "tokens=1,2 delims=#" %d in ('dir /b ????????#*') do ren %d#%e #%e%d

If you're in Windows (I'm assuming), try mine instead of Land Mime's.

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

Hogburto posted:

for /f "tokens=1,2 delims=#" %d in ('dir /b ????????#*') do ren %d#%e #%e%d

If you're in Windows (I'm assuming), try mine instead of Land Mime's.

In case there is a file extension (mine get .log)

for /f "tokens=1,2,3 delims=#,." %d in ('dir /b ????????#*.*') do ren %d#%e.%f #%e%d.%f

I wrote a couple batch files that do this the hard way (now I know!) with substrings, but it can also change the filename back to its original style. Assumes there is a .log extension, too, though. They are meant to be placed in and run from the folder with all the logs.

code:
mircrename.bat:

@echo off
if [%1]==[] goto rename
for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /b *.log') do call rename.bat %%a undo
goto end
:rename
for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /b *.log') do call rename.bat %%a
:end
code:
rename.bat:

@echo off
if [%2]==[] goto rename
set filename=%1
set firsthalf=%filename:~-12, -4%
set backhalf=%filename:~0,-12%
echo %filename% to %firsthalf%%backhalf%.log
ren %1 %firsthalf%%backhalf%.log
goto end
:rename
set filename=%1
set firsthalf=%filename:~0,8%
set backhalf=%filename:~8,-4%
echo %filename% to %backhalf%%firsthalf%.log
ren %1 %backhalf%%firsthalf%.log
:end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'd like to request an app that will easily rename a bunch of files in a folder according to a list of filenames in a plain text file.

I collect old time radio shows (public domain) via bittorrent, but the files are often improperly named. Once I get them, it's imperative that they be properly named for logging into my collection program, Otter, but doing so makes them invalid for seeding.

If I could just keep 1) a list of a torrent's original filenames and 2) my properly renamed file names in two texts file in the same folder, and somehow easily swap back and forth between the two naming conventions I could revert my file names to match the torrent for seeding down the road when it inevitably runs out of seeders.

Doing this manually is a major chore as many shows ran weekly for many years and thus have hundreds of files. I've yet to find a non-shareware solution to accomplish this.

Any help would be humbly appreciated. :)

• Locked thread