Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I also had that problem and it turned out to be a problem with my USB drivers. Try using different ones. If you're using the windows standard ones, try ones from your manufacturer or the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

bbdmonkey posted:

that's what it does when I connect my itouch.
oohhhhh, windows. aside from reinstalling the driver (system,device manager, then find/open your ipod and go to the driver tab), i don't know if it will help, but this article seems somewhat relevant.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Anyone use iPDA?

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS

LaptopGun posted:

Anyone use iPDA?
Where can i get it? edit: n/m its for regular ipods

Also I wish someone made a decent pdf viewer.

Justin fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 9, 2008

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
iPDA. Crap it looks Mac only.

Webpage: http://www.zapptek.com/ipda/
PCWorld article/advertisement (who can tell): http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142291-c,mp3players/article.html

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
erm, from the zapptek webpage:

quote:

Note that iPDA does not support the iPhone or iPod touch.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I somehow missed that one. Thanks. Now I dont feel so bad. :)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is hilariously bad.
My 16GB touch absolutely refuses to cooperate with any jailbreak method other than the 1.1.1 jailbreakme one. I'm not sure why but every method I've tried has failed. I've performed the oktoprep method to get it up to 1.1.2 several times and every time it has been a failure. Usually it tells me that an unrecoverable error has occured when I try to jailbreak or it'll say that I don't have oktoprep installed when I do. Is anyone else having an extraordinarily difficult time unlocking their iPod touch?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Peven Stan posted:

This is hilariously bad.
My 16GB touch absolutely refuses to cooperate with any jailbreak method other than the 1.1.1 jailbreakme one. I'm not sure why but every method I've tried has failed. I've performed the oktoprep method to get it up to 1.1.2 several times and every time it has been a failure. Usually it tells me that an unrecoverable error has occured when I try to jailbreak or it'll say that I don't have oktoprep installed when I do. Is anyone else having an extraordinarily difficult time unlocking their iPod touch?

Do you have iTunes 7.6 installed? Supposedly that breaks the 1.1.2 jailbreak.

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS

Peven Stan posted:

This is hilariously bad.

Get the program INdependence (if you have a mac). It will enable you to jailbreak in Itunes 7.6

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stutes posted:

Do you have iTunes 7.6 installed? Supposedly that breaks the 1.1.2 jailbreak.

Nah I'm still on 7.5.

GueroDeEncanta
Jan 28, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

This is hilariously bad.

Dude, I feel your pain. I spent two friggin hours last night trying to get the goddamn thing to work. Everytime the Jailbreak thing finished, I get the Restore screen on my iPod.

I think my desktop still has 7.5, I guess I'll try that. gently caress this fo' real. Anyone else got any tips for us?

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

GueroDeEncanta posted:

Dude, I feel your pain. I spent two friggin hours last night trying to get the goddamn thing to work. Everytime the Jailbreak thing finished, I get the Restore screen on my iPod.

I think my desktop still has 7.5, I guess I'll try that. gently caress this fo' real. Anyone else got any tips for us?

My brother's ipod had the same problem. Get independence. Just by letting it sit there and trying to find a device it knocked his out. Also you can try hitting the Reboot in Restore button on that jailbreak.jar program, that works for some people too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If you get the restore screen try iBrickr

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=250854&postcount=1

In case you can't see

quote:

Hey, i just thought i should post this because.. ive seen alot of people (as myself) getting their iPod Touch firmare 1.1.3 stuck in recovery mode, and unable to restore.
This is a fairly very easy way to reboot it (without restoring)

NOTE: i belive way is for windows only

1. First off go download iBrickr http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr
(there should be a little video there, the download link is right under that)

2. Extract iBrickr into a folder u must make.

3. Run ibrickr.exe (make sure you have 1.1.3 AND that your ipod is STUCK in recovery mode, also make sure ur ipod is CONNECTED to the computer). Then it should say something like it recognizes your ipod in recovery mode click here to reboot it. So click there, your screen should turn a different color (red = good, green = bad). If it turns red your in luck, wait a few seconds and there you go your ipod will be back to the screen "slide to unlock", and not 1 thing on your ipod should be gone.

Good luck

------------------

If your iPod is stuck in recovery mode with the spinning wheel screen, OR when you connect your iPod to your computer and it beeps every couple of seconds. (thanks for this upd)

The only way out of this is:
1) Make sure iPod is disconnected from computer
2) Power down iPod all the way by beginning a Force Restore procedure: Press and hold Home+Power buttons until the iPod turns off, then immediately release the buttons before it can turn back on.
3) From powered down, press and hold home button.
4) Still holding, connect the iPod to the computer
5) When recovery screen appears again, release the home button. The spinning wheel will be gone.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Trying to get to a jailbroken 1.1.3.

I've downgraded to 1.1.1 and jailbroken it, and have installer.app.

At this point I know I should be running oktoprep, but installer.app doesn't list it. Other source son the net say the latest jailbreakme exploit renders this unneccessariy.

However, having upgraded to 1.1.2 and trying to run jailbreak.jar, it tells me I need to have run oktoprep first!

How do I get it? I keep finding I need 'community sources' but as far as i can tell, i already have them and there are no URLs to add to installer.app's sources list.

WTF should I do?

edit: 'tweaks 1.1.1' is missing from my list of installable packages

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 13, 2008

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

Pissflaps posted:

Trying to get to a jailbroken 1.1.3.

I've downgraded to 1.1.1 and jailbroken it, and have installer.app.

At this point I know I should be running oktoprep, but installer.app doesn't list it. Other source son the net say the latest jailbreakme exploit renders this unneccessariy.

However, having upgraded to 1.1.2 and trying to run jailbreak.jar, it tells me I need to have run oktoprep first!

How do I get it? I keep finding I need 'community sources' but as far as i can tell, i already have them and there are no URLs to add to installer.app's sources list.

WTF should I do?

edit: 'tweaks 1.1.1' is missing from my list of installable packages

I ran into the same problem this morning. In Installer, go to 'All Packages', and install the package called 'Community Sources'. Then refresh your sources list and you should have oktoprep available.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well that was annoyingly simple. Thanks :)

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Hey, is there any way to copy the music over from a touch without wireless? We have to reformat my cousin's computer, and since his drives are bust the only way he has to make a backup of his music is to put it in the touch, and then we'd need a way to copy it back from there to the newly reformatted computer, but we don't have a wireless network yet.

Also, does anyone know if virii do get copied to the touch? I don't think they do, since the touch isn't recognized as a USB drive, but maybe someone knows different..

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Zefiel posted:

Hey, is there any way to copy the music over from a touch without wireless? We have to reformat my cousin's computer, and since his drives are bust the only way he has to make a backup of his music is to put it in the touch, and then we'd need a way to copy it back from there to the newly reformatted computer, but we don't have a wireless network yet.

Also, does anyone know if virii do get copied to the touch? I don't think they do, since the touch isn't recognized as a USB drive, but maybe someone knows different..

There are some programs you can download to do it...They're not free though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm thinking about taking the $30 plunge and getting a microphone. Anyone else ever used VOIP with the touch? Would be ideal in Europe.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

on viruses, I remember a couple years ago apple had a batch of iPods infected with a virus. The virus infected the users PC. I believe it was a run of the mill virus that infected one of the Twainese factorys computers and leeches on it.

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
I'm curious if anyone has tried ZiPhone on there iPod Touch? My initial thought is that since it's virtually the same software, why not? But I would like to know from a more reputable group then the Engadget comment board.

I stupidly upgraded to 1.1.3 assuming there'd be a quick/easy jailbreak out soon, but doing the "Restore mode - Downgrade with iPhuc" constantly gives me an "error (1)" message.

Y2JMatrix94 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 13, 2008

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
Quote is not edit.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
I'm thinking of buying an Ipod Touch tomorrow and would like to know if I bought a microphone attachment (there's one available right?) could I use skype on the Ipod touch? Do a two way conversation, googling turns up some old sites saying yes but only texting.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Rekka posted:

I'm thinking of buying an Ipod Touch tomorrow and would like to know if I bought a microphone attachment (there's one available right?) could I use skype on the Ipod touch? Do a two way conversation, googling turns up some old sites saying yes but only texting.

From what I remember reading on ipod touch fan forums, yes. There are pretty much 2 options for the microphone. One being $30 and one $45. I think I read a thread that skype works too.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Bit of an awkward one, but does anyone know if it's possible to insert chapter points into a video to put onto a Touch, so you can press the >>| button and skip to the next chapter. A program to rip a title from a DVD and include chapter points would be perfect, but I'd be happy to just work out the chapter points and include it onto a full video rip myself if it was still somehow possible.

The only alternative I can think of would be to rip each chapter as a separate file and group them together as a TV Show in iTunes.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

So I jailbreaked with "Jailbreak Mobile 1.0" I'm now on 1.1.3 and am trying to install the additional programs using the thing provided, however when I try to the terminal software asks for a password, I don't know what this password is. The latest info I could find was from 2 weeks ago from the guy who made it saying he would update it, but I cant find anything after.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rekka posted:

So I jailbreaked with "Jailbreak Mobile 1.0" I'm now on 1.1.3 and am trying to install the additional programs using the thing provided, however when I try to the terminal software asks for a password, I don't know what this password is. The latest info I could find was from 2 weeks ago from the guy who made it saying he would update it, but I cant find anything after.

Try 'alpine'.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

gargamale posted:

Try 'alpine'.

That isn't it, I don't think its anything to do with SSH or stuff like that, just a bug?

Edit: For the record I got it working a different way so it's fine.

Rekka fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 15, 2008

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Vyze posted:

Bit of an awkward one, but does anyone know if it's possible to insert chapter points into a video to put onto a Touch, so you can press the >>| button and skip to the next chapter. A program to rip a title from a DVD and include chapter points would be perfect, but I'd be happy to just work out the chapter points and include it onto a full video rip myself if it was still somehow possible.

The only alternative I can think of would be to rip each chapter as a separate file and group them together as a TV Show in iTunes.

Handbrake will rip movies to mp4s and automatically insert chapter points for you.

http://handbrake.fr/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stutes posted:

Handbrake will rip movies to mp4s and automatically insert chapter points for you.

http://handbrake.fr/
Fantastic, thanks! This makes up for my iPod mysteriously loving up last night and needing a restore. :)

(And my wifi is too unreliable to jailbreak it again, argh)

EvilLarry29
Oct 6, 2003

"We have how much salary cap left? Fuck it, let's just start giving money away."
How good of an organizer/calender software does the iPod touch have? I'm not looking for much, but could I set it up to put up a reminder for current and upcoming appointments and events on the homescreen, like the Blackjack does?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

EvilLarry29 posted:

How good of an organizer/calender software does the iPod touch have? I'm not looking for much, but could I set it up to put up a reminder for current and upcoming appointments and events on the homescreen, like the Blackjack does?

The default calender doesn't display upcoming events on the home screen, there may be a third party solution that does.

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

LordOfThePants posted:

The default calender doesn't display upcoming events on the home screen, there may be a third party solution that does.
Not the home screen, but the home/locked screen it will. Or at the very least it will do all day events, I know that because it has done mine!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Is jailbreakme down for good or just temporarily?

edit: just temporarily :)

Pardot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 15, 2008

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

pearofducks posted:

Not the home screen, but the home/locked screen it will. Or at the very least it will do all day events, I know that because it has done mine!

I just added a test appointment and an all day event for today, and when I lock my ipod Touch, all it says on the screen is "Friday, Feb. 15th" and the time. I don't get anything indicating an upcoming calender event.

It will beep at me when a reminder goes off and display THAT on the home screen, but there's nothing like with Windows Mobile where it shows a list of upcoming events.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pardot posted:

Is jailbreakme down for good or just temporarily?

edit: just temporarily :)
Is it back up for you? I've been trying for the past two days to re-jailbreak my iPod after it hosed up on me, and I just can't get the hacked tiff to load at all (on the rare occasion the main site loads)! :(
It sucks not having handy stuff like weight converters and stuff on my Touch.

Also, to the poster who helped me find Handbrake earlier for ripping DVDs, it won't seem to find any titles after I point it to the right folder for some reason. :/ (Running Vista and running the application as Admin)

loopbackzero
Aug 5, 2003
xd
So, last week I was updating some of the software on my 1.1.2-jailbroken touch, and installer.app said it had an update for itself, to version 3 or whathaveyou. Thinking that this was good for my iPods version, I let it update, but installer.app closed itself halfway through the update, and now it won't run at all anymore, just opens up and then immediately closes. What do I do? Do I have to restore all the way back to 1.1.1 and then start the whole jailbreaking process over again, or is there a way I can just reinstall installer.app(somehow, considering installer.app itself will not run, so I'm thinking not)? He;lp :(

JMod
Dec 12, 2004
I have an ipod touch 8G, and I could return it as of Monday...

The wifi isn't as easy to get as I would have thought, and I live in NYC where wifi is everywhere...so I constantly think of getting the iphone, instead of lunking around my ipod touch and my old as dirt motorola e815...but I'm stuck on verizon.

So before my possibility of return runs out, does anyone have a date on when these price drops might happen? Like either exchange for a $299 16GB touch or would it be worth it to opt out and get the iphone? but then there's a 3G iphone coming out this year, maybe i should wait it out? and then maybe sell the touch when my contract is up?

dilemmas, dilemmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
my itouch froze yesterday unexpectedly after having it jailbroken for a long while now.. i put it on restore and was goig to do the jailbreak process again, but it wouldnt take the 1.1 restore.

i figured maybe someone made a new program that would make the process easier, so i used Ziphone.

of course, it didnt work, but now, my touch is stuck ont eh apple logo.

i never get the red slider, i cant get into recovery mode. all it's on is the apple logo.

if i hold down the sleep and home button, it will turn off...i THINK, unless that's the sleep key just activating itself.

if anyone can help, please do.

i'm stuck on the apple logo.

• Locked thread